• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #11: Daemons, begone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Melondar

I just killed a daemon named "Azmodeus" in the hedge maze. whats the history behind that name?

signuature temporaily broken

W

WolfZbane

I don't know an "Azmodeus" but "Asmodeus" is a lot better known.

<blockquote><hr>

Collin de Plancy and others have identified this demon [Asmodai] with the more famous demon of lust Asmodeus, who appears in the apocryphal Book of Tobit as the demon-lover of Sara, who strangled each of her seven husbands in turn on his wedding night before the husband had a chance to deflower Sara (Tobit 3:8). Even though the names are similar, there is no indication in the description in the Goetia that Asmodai and Asmodeus are the same demon. Almost certainly the name Asmodeus served as the inspiration for the name Asmodai, but their characteristics diverged, and Asmodai became separate and distinct. This splitting off of a second demon from an existing demon or god is a common occurrence in demon folklore.

<hr></blockquote>

Asmodeus is generaly considered to be one of the chief demons of hell.

<center>WolfZbane - Spammus Maximus</center>
<center>
</center>
<center><a target="_blank" href=http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/taming/areas.shtml>DON'T COME HERE SAYING THAT THERE ARE NO BULLS IN DELUCIA TO TAME!</a></center>

L

Luna Love

Hey! I seem to have stumbled upon a bunch of people with formidable occult knowledge. Indulge me, please.... what does the name, "Yogsoggoth" mean?

W

WolfZbane

Yog-soggoth was a creation of the writer H.P. Lovecraft and is one of his most important Old Ones.

For an in-dept article on the Old Ones, I would suggest this link.

When one wants to understand the myth of the Old Ones, one must realize one thing:
1. creation of this world didn't went as peacefully as suggested by books as the Bible
2. that huge, powerfull and otherworldly cultures excisted before the humans.
3. that these cultures and the races that created them, were led by otherworldly Gods.
4. these Gods were cruel and acted more like deamons than the gods we know.
5. these deamonic gods were driven back by other alien gods.
6. these alien gods are the ones we know and trust.
7. these alien gods left aeons ago.
8. the original Gods, the Old Ones, want to get back to earth to rule once again.
9. there are humans who created a pact with the Old Ones and want to bring them back.
10. it's in humanity's sake that these humans and the things they've brought from the dimensions where the Old Ones reside now, are stopped.

That's the complete Cthulhu Mythos explained in 10 sentences =)

Oh, and another thing: the legend of the Old Ones is completely fictionous

G

Wolf - sometimes you start to scare me... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

A

Aequitas

Sidenote (not to get into a religious argument, just to add some info): Baal is spoken of quite a few times in the bible, ie:

Numbers, chapter 25

Israel Worships Baal–peor
And Israel abode in ****tim, and the people began to commit *****dom with the
daughters of Moab.
And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and
bowed down to their gods.
And Israel joined himself unto Ba'al–pe'or: and the anger of the LORD was kindled
against Israel.
And the LORD said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up
before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away
from Israel.
And Moses said unto the judges of Israel, Slay ye every one his men that were joined
unto Ba'al–pe'or.
¶ And, behold, one of the children of Israel came and brought unto his brethren a
Mid'i-anitish woman in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the
children of Israel, who were weeping before the door of the tabernacle of the
congregation.
And when Phin'ehas, the son of Ele-a'zar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose
up from among the congregation, and took a javelin in his hand;
and he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the
man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the
children of Israel.

The Second Book of Kings, Chapter 10

Jehu Wipes Out the Worship of Baal
¶ And Jehu gathered all the people together, and said unto them, Ahab served Ba'al a
little; but Jehu shall serve him much.
Now therefore call unto me all the prophets of Ba'al, all his servants, and all his priests;
let none be wanting: for I have a great sacrifice to do to Ba'al; whosoever shall be
wanting, he shall not live. But Jehu did it in subtilty, to the intent that he might destroy
the worshippers of Ba'al.
And Jehu said, Proclaim a solemn assembly for Ba'al. And they proclaimed it.
And Jehu sent through all Israel: and all the worshippers of Ba'al came, so that there
was not a man left that came not. And they came into the house of Ba'al; and the house
of Ba'al was full from one end to another.
And he said unto him that was over the vestry, Bring forth vestments for all the
worshippers of Ba'al. And he brought them forth vestments.
And Jehu went, and Jehon'adab the son of Rechab, into the house of Ba'al, and said
unto the worshippers of Ba'al, Search, and look that there be here with you none of the
servants of the LORD, but the worshippers of Ba'al only.
And when they went in to offer sacrifices and burnt offerings, Jehu appointed fourscore
men without, and said, If any of the men whom I have brought into your hands escape,
he that letteth him go, his life shall be for the life of him.
¶ And it came to pass, as soon as he had made an end of offering the burnt offering,
that Jehu said to the guard and to the captains, Go in, and slay them; let none come
forth. And they smote them with the edge of the sword; and the guard and the captains
cast them out, and went to the city of the house of Ba'al.
And they brought forth the images out of the house of Ba'al, and burned them.
And they brake down the image of Ba'al, and brake down the house of Ba'al, and made
it a draught house unto this day.
¶ Thus Jehu destroyed Ba'al out of Israel.
Howbeit, from the sins of Jerobo'am the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin, Jehu
departed not from after them, to wit, the golden calves that were in Beth–el, and that
were in Dan. 1 Kgs. 12.28-30
And the LORD said unto Jehu, Because thou hast done well in executing that which is
right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in
mine heart, thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel.
But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart: for
he departed not from the sins of Jerobo'am, which made Israel to sin.
¶ In those days the LORD began to cut Israel short: and Haz'a-el smote them in all the
coasts of Israel;
from Jordan eastward, all the land of Gil'e-ad, the Gadites, and the Reubenites, and the
Manas'sites, from Aro'er, which is by the river Arnon, even Gil'e-ad and Bashan.
Now the rest of the acts of Jehu, and all that he did, and all his might, are they not
written in the book of the Chronicles of the kings of Israel?
And Jehu slept with his fathers: and they buried him in Samaria. And Jeho'ahaz his son
reigned in his stead.
And the time that Jehu reigned over Israel in Samaria was twenty and eight years.

Judges Chapter 6
The call of Gideon

Then Gideon took ten men of his servants, and did as the LORD had said unto him: and
so it was, because he feared his father's household, and the men of the city, that he
could not do it by day, that he did it by night.
¶ And when the men of the city arose early in the morning, behold, the altar of Ba'al was
cast down, and the grove was cut down that was by it, and the second bullock was
offered upon the altar that was built.
And they said one to another, Who hath done this thing? And when they inquired and
asked, they said, Gideon the son of Jo'ash hath done this thing.
Then the men of the city said unto Jo'ash, Bring out thy son, that he may die: because
he hath cast down the altar of Ba'al, and because he hath cut down the grove that was
by it.
And Jo'ash said unto all that stood against him, Will ye plead for Ba'al? will ye save
him? he that will plead for him, let him be put to death whilst it is yet morning: if he be a
god, let him plead for himself, because one hath cast down his altar.
Therefore on that day he called him Jerubba'al, 3 saying, Let Ba'al plead against him,
because he hath thrown down his altar.
¶ Then all the Mid'i-anites and the Amal'ekites and the children of the east were
gathered together, and went over, and pitched in the valley of Jezreel.
But the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet; and Abi-e'zer
was gathered after him.
And he sent messengers throughout all Manas'seh; who also was gathered after him:
and he sent messengers unto Asher, and unto Zeb'ulun, and unto Naph'tali; and they
came up to meet them.
¶ And Gideon said unto God, If thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said,
behold, I will put a fleece of wool in the floor; and if the dew be on the fleece only, and it
be dry upon all the earth besides, then shall I know that thou wilt save Israel by mine
hand, as thou hast said.
And it was so: for he rose up early on the morrow, and thrust the fleece together, and
wringed the dew out of the fleece, a bowlful of water.
And Gideon said unto God, Let not thine anger be hot against me, and I will speak but
this once: let me prove, I pray thee, but this once with the fleece; let it now be dry only
upon the fleece, and upon all the ground let there be dew.
And God did so that night: for it was dry upon the fleece only, and there was dew on all
the ground.

Note 2. The LORD send peace. [ back ]
Note 3. Let Baal plead. [ back ]

This is just a few mentionings, another somewhat well known mentioning of baal to any christian/jew/muslim is when King David's wife was known to worship Baal and tried to get David to worship Baal as well.

W

WolfZbane

Yep, and don't forget Solomon who worshipped Moloch and Astarte/Astaroth when he had become old and senile.

L

Luna Love

Heavy stuff. Wolfz where did you pick that info up? I ask cuz I'm a big Stephen King fan and he makes multiple refences to obscure things like /php-bin/shared/images/icons/scary.gif Yog-soggoth /php-bin/shared/images/icons/scary.gif, the Plains of Leng, and other things without ever including an explaination. Maybe I just need to /php-bin/shared/images/icons/read.gif a little?

T

Theron3

I'm pretty sure I saw a daemon named "Satanica" at the Hedge Maze the other day.

G

*thinks of all those Grimoires* Your question was again? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

G

<font color=000080>Ressurection of a long-dead thread, only to turn it into a babble thread is a sure-fire way to draw the ire of the Moderators.

*clink*

Status
Not open for further replies.