• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Llamfia

Sometimes isn't a really a problem. However it wasn't sometimes back then was it?

It was bad enough EA had to create Tram to stop the exodus of players.
Its not the Pkers being particularly bad, its the people whining that thought they should get there way, if alot of people complain then oviously EA will do something, but that doesnt mean that the carebears werent in the wrong for wanting the game changed to there wants and needs. Believe me, my brother played alot and never once did i hear him complaining about reds. If he died he would slam his keyboard against his desk, get resed, then go about his day. Not complaining to the GM's about UO is so unfair

And to the mining incident
Theres so many ways around it. Mining on pirate servers such as Hybrid is not even a problem. I maybe ran into 5 pkers in all the time I was mining, and if you do, then just stop mining till they go away, or mine close to the guards zone. There will be less reds on official because people actually have to pay for UO, not being able to make just any Red Character
Theres ways around everything in UO, its called just being smart and careful of what you are doing and your surroundings.

If it ain't broke dont fix it. If EA got this memo before they introduced trammel and runics and all that other crap, then UO would have been much more marketed game than it has been.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Its not the Pkers being particularly bad, its the people whining that thought they should get there way, if alot of people complain then oviously EA will do something, but that doesnt mean that the carebears werent in the wrong for wanting the game changed to there wants and needs.
Let me enlighten you a little on this subject please...

Back then, there was 1 game in town...UO. The "carebears" as you call them had nowhere else to play...so they were at the mercy of the PKs. Many did complain, but it was not the complaints that eventually caused EA/OSI to do something about the problem...it was the fact that EverQuest came out and people had a choice.

What you are saying is, these people you call "carebears" should have just shut up and paid their money to EA, even though they did not enjoy the game the way it was??

That's not just unrealistic...it's crazy! Why would anyone pay to play something they did not enjoy when they could just move to something else???

That is the single biggest difference in what a Classic Shard would have to be and what old school UO really was. People now have choices...lot's of them. Why would they pay for, or log into, something that as a whole they would not enjoy??

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A very large group of Reds can come into town and no one will do anything.
That would be a wise thing to do, odds are any attack on them would be unhealthy for the blues. But if any blues attack the Reds, they took their chances, and win or lose. :)

The Reds would act/look like noobs, baiting other players to attack them, then just destroy the blue.
Again, the blue(s) took their chances.Voluntary PvP.

-The Blues would have no protection from guards if they attacked the Reds first.
Voluntary PvP.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it ain't broke dont fix it. If EA got this memo before they introduced trammel and runics and all that other crap, then UO would have been much more marketed game than it has been.
They did get the memo. It was broke and leaking players, so they fixed it.

I agree, the runics and all the rest that came with AOS hurt this game a lot.

R

Rouss

For those who want to play actual era accurate shard, google "uo second age".

You'll find the very best and t2a era accurate shard out there. Give it a spin.

L

Llamfia

Its not the Pkers being particularly bad, its the people whining that thought they should get there way, if alot of people complain then oviously EA will do something, but that doesnt mean that the carebears werent in the wrong for wanting the game changed to there wants and needs.

Back then, there was 1 game in town...UO. The "carebears" as you call them had nowhere else to play...so they were at the mercy of the PKs. Many did complain, but it was not the complaints that eventually caused EA/OSI to do something about the problem...it was the fact that EverQuest came out and people had a choice.

What you are saying is, these people you call "carebears" should have just shut up and paid their money to EA, even though they did not enjoy the game the way it was??

That's not just unrealistic...it's crazy! Why would anyone pay to play something they did not enjoy when they could just move to something else???

That is the single biggest difference in what a Classic Shard would have to be and what old school UO really was. People now have choices...lot's of them. Why would they pay for, or log into, something that as a whole they would not enjoy??
Your the only one that would not enjoy an oldschool server with its original preset rules, why would you even bother on this server, if your going to die a couple times and [QQ]. How simple is it to go get ressed, go to your bank and get new gear, and stop whining about being pked.

How hard is that to understand.

Tanivar
There should be a guardzone, if this server comes up, reds runnning through towns is rediculous. That is not the LORE of UO.

L

Llamfia

They did get the memo. It was broke and leaking players, so they fixed it.

Leaking players? How about your whole fanbase and vets leaving because the game has gone to crap? How about that? The only ones that stayed were the ones who did not enjoy what UO was intended to be.

G

georgemarvin2001

@Morgana: PK'ers were around, but they weren't really a problem in the beginning. It was shortly before UO:R was introduced that they became the huge problem you're talking about. But you can't really blame the PKs. The Devs at the time made them a problem intentionally. If you remember, the Devs made these changes a few months before UO:R, which helped sway sentiment towards allowing a PvM only facet:
1. Removed permanent stat loss. When there was permanent stat loss, reds had to really watch out; if they died, they would have to stay logged into the game for days on end as a ghost, or bite the bullet, take the loss then work hard to regain the skills that they had lost. If I remember correctly, permanent stat loss was 20%, a hefty penalty. Even if they did wait it out, that meant that they couldn't PvP again for a long time. If they had 10 counts, it would be 48 hours of game time before they could rez as a blue, and they would have to move every 10 minutes during that time or be logged out; that was before all of the programs that would move for them, so they had to actually at least be semi-attended standing around as a ghost. That system made sure that even most PKs made sure that their counts didn't get out of reason. Nobody wanted to sit around doing nothing for a week.
2. Removed the bounty system
3. Allowed reds into towns
4. Gave all reds a reprieve, implying that there would be more reprieves in the future
5. Changed the system so that all of their newbied items didn't drop to their corpse
6. Added the priests to rez reds
7. Made skill gains much harder, meaning that new players were automatic victims

After the Devs made all of those changes, their runebooks and newbied stuff wouldn't drop to their corpse anymore, without stat loss, there was no penalty for dying while red, and there were healers that would heal them, so they could PK to their heart's content without repercussions.

The fact is that the changes made by the Devs prior to the release of UO:R created the problem by removing every single obstacle and penalty for reds, which they "fixed" by adding Trammel but not allowing reds into it, in order to make UO more kid-friendly, hoping to increase subscriptions in the new demographic. Unfortunately, the kids demographic that they were courting still flocked to EQ, not UO.

I'm tired of quoting UO's own press releases and the numbers that they posted in trade magazines again and again and again. Everybody seems to ignore the facts, as stated by UO's own press releases, and stating that there was a mass exodus during T2A, even though subscriptions rose from 100,000 to 185,000 during that period. I'll say it one more time: UO was NOT bleeding subscribers before UO:R and trammel. It had the most subscribers ever, 250,000, at the time that AOS was released. The press release 2 weeks after AOS was released stated that, at the time AOS was released, UO had 250,000 subscribers. Before AOS, they were releasing the subscription numbers practically every month. After AOS was released, there was a period of several months in which they didn't release any numbers. When they released the subscription numbers again, it was down to 175,000, and has kept declining ever since. That means that UO's greatest number of subscriptions was NOT a result of AOS. It means that 1/3 of the subscriber base LEFT sometime after AOS was released, but before they started posting subscription numbers again. The massive decline in subscriptions post-AOS is probably the reason why UO quit releasing the numbers for several months.

We're actually lucky that UO is still around at all. It was almost closed down when EA bought Mythic in 2007:
Check out this quote by Mark Jacobs, the head of Mythic, on October 17, 2008, concerning when EA placed it under Mythic:
In the 20+ years I've been making games, I've been called more obscene things, accused of being responsible for every thing that went wrong in DAoC (even when I wasn't involved in the game at all after a few years because of Imperator or WAR), blamed for the state UO is in (except that EA wanted to shut down UO when they gave it to us but I convinced them to spend more money on the game)

Instead of trying to fix things, UO just wanted to pull the plug. At this point, unless we get some subscribers back, and with EA bleeding 50 million a month, UO had better do something to regain some of the subscribers it has lost, or it may not be around much longer. Bringing back classic shards and trying to get the original, mature player base back may not work, but at this point it's worth a try. It's a better bet than trying to continue on the post-AOS path until the player base shrinks to the point that UO is just a memory.

H

Heartseeker

For those who want to play actual era accurate shard, google "uo second age".

You'll find the very best and t2a era accurate shard out there. Give it a spin.
Agreed.

That's where I play also.

H

Heartseeker

There were no carebears when UO was launched.

EA created them with their game change mechanics.

This discussion is a real good indication where the game is today; divided.

EA isn't smart enough to make the right changes; so this will be no different.

While I would love a Classic Shard EA hasn't got the right stuff to pull it off.

The carrot has been dangled once again!!

C

Cloak&Dagger

So publish 13 broke the game? Full 4 Publishes before aos? (no argument but it didn't come with aos)

Leaking players? How about your whole fanbase and vets leaving because the game has gone to crap? How about that? The only ones that stayed were the ones who did not enjoy what UO was intended to be.
You forgot to mention that the actual number of subs was stable and increasing through out the history of UO until right around pub 16 when it started to drop, somewhat drastically.

There were no carebears when UO was launched.
They were there at launch, who do you think the people were who went to tram? Oh right...must have been all the pvpers?

And pray tell what was UO 'intended to be'? LOL
not this

So an updated client is what is bad about UO? Notice how all games get an update to their systems and clients with little to no affect on the number of players. Alot of the changes in UO are...arguable, but this one is the silliest of all of em.

U

Unsatisfied

Had a bit of a family emergency and had to be away from the house for a few days BUT WOW, that took me a good hour and a bit to catch up on everything said. Theres a lot I'd like to comment on but tbh I cant back track through that many posts and grab quotes or even really remember which things indevidually I wanted to comment on. I am however happy to see that for the most part people arnt pancakes at each other and it seems like people are working towards compromises finally.

One thing I do want to comment on is

@Morgana: PK'ers were around, but they weren't really a problem in the beginning. It was shortly before UO:R was introduced that they became the huge problem you're talking about. But you can't really blame the PKs. The Devs at the time made them a problem intentionally. If you remember, the Devs made these changes a few months before UO:R, which helped sway sentiment towards allowing a PvM only facet:
1. Removed permanent stat loss. When there was permanent stat loss, reds had to really watch out; if they died, they would have to stay logged into the game for days on end as a ghost, or bite the bullet, take the loss then work hard to regain the skills that they had lost. If I remember correctly, permanent stat loss was 20%, a hefty penalty. Even if they did wait it out, that meant that they couldn't PvP again for a long time. If they had 10 counts, it would be 48 hours of game time before they could rez as a blue, and they would have to move every 10 minutes during that time or be logged out; that was before all of the programs that would move for them, so they had to actually at least be semi-attended standing around as a ghost. That system made sure that even most PKs made sure that their counts didn't get out of reason. Nobody wanted to sit around doing nothing for a week.
4. Gave all reds a reprieve, implying that there would be more reprieves in the future
5. Changed the system so that all of their newbied items didn't drop to their corpse
7. Made skill gains much harder, meaning that new players were automatic victims

After the Devs made all of those changes, their runebooks and newbied stuff wouldn't drop to their corpse anymore, without stat loss, there was no penalty for dying while red, and there were healers that would heal them, so they could PK to their heart's content without repercussions.

The fact is that the changes made by the Devs prior to the release of UO:R created the problem by removing every single obstacle and penalty for reds, which they "fixed" by adding Trammel but not allowing reds into it, in order to make UO more kid-friendly, hoping to increase subscriptions in the new demographic. Unfortunately, the kids demographic that they were courting still flocked to EQ, not UO.

I'm tired of quoting UO's own press releases and the numbers that they posted in trade magazines again and again and again. Everybody seems to ignore the facts, as stated by UO's own press releases, and stating that there was a mass exodus during T2A, even though subscriptions rose from 100,000 to 185,000 during that period. I'll say it one more time: UO was NOT bleeding subscribers before UO:R and trammel. It had the most subscribers ever, 250,000, at the time that AOS was released. The press release 2 weeks after AOS was released stated that, at the time AOS was released, UO had 250,000 subscribers. Before AOS, they were releasing the subscription numbers practically every month. After AOS was released, there was a period of several months in which they didn't release any numbers. When they released the subscription numbers again, it was down to 175,000, and has kept declining ever since. That means that UO's greatest number of subscriptions was NOT a result of AOS. It means that 1/3 of the subscriber base LEFT sometime after AOS was released, but before they started posting subscription numbers again. The massive decline in subscriptions post-AOS is probably the reason why UO quit releasing the numbers for several months.

This is the biggest point I wanna stress to everyone also and I dont think anyone could put it better than this. People have said pking wasnt rampart, and people have argued the opposite. I think both sides are completely right but this answers why.

In the T2A era when there were all of those penalties, pks existed but they didnt rule the world. After it was made so easy for them, removing stat loss, allowing them into towns, allowing them to keep their runebooks etc, red healers so on and so forth reds became rampart.

I never had a red on OSI/EA uo, I was almost always at 4 murders and once or twice someone would go "hey dude when did u turn red" and id be like wtf? and not know how I took an extra count, but the 4 counts I always sat at were always for good reasons. so I hope my arguments for the pro non con pvp, fel ruleset shard hasnt made me out to be some pking nutter.

So take it back to t2a era's harsh penalties on reads. Its been too long for most of us to remember exactly how often you would be pked, but I believe 100% what was just quoted was the case, so lets at least check it out. If its failing and its as rampart as everyone seems to think it was, then start implementing changes like we've been talking about.

Like I've said a few times. Make it era specific with bug changes and let it run that way first, if something needs to be fixed see to it then. Cos theres nothing classic about a hybrid.

H

Heartseeker

We're actually lucky that UO is still around at all. It was almost closed down when EA bought Mythic in 2007:
Check out this quote by Mark Jacobs, the head of Mythic, on October 17, 2008, concerning when EA placed it under Mythic:
In the 20+ years I've been making games, I've been called more obscene things, accused of being responsible for every thing that went wrong in DAoC (even when I wasn't involved in the game at all after a few years because of Imperator or WAR), blamed for the state UO is in (except that EA wanted to shut down UO when they gave it to us but I convinced them to spend more money on the game)

Instead of trying to fix things, UO just wanted to pull the plug. At this point, unless we get some subscribers back, and with EA bleeding 50 million a month, UO had better do something to regain some of the subscribers it has lost, or it may not be around much longer. Bringing back classic shards and trying to get the original, mature player base back may not work, but at this point it's worth a try. It's a better bet than trying to continue on the post-AOS path until the player base shrinks to the point that UO is just a memory.
Good Post.

Very true about the reds at the beginning, stat loss was a huge deterrent.

After Renaissance I quit for 4 years, so didn't see the reds go wild.

If there is stat loss and bounty system in place I don't think the reds will be a problem.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Your the only one that would not enjoy an oldschool server with its original preset rules, why would you even bother on this server, if your going to die a couple times and [QQ].

OMG.

Let me tell you something...you see how many posts I have? I would bet that well over 2/3s of them came from me coming here and ranting like I am on my monthly about wanting a Day 1 Classic Shard. Ask anyone!!

The truth of the matter is...as far as my personal preference is concerned, I would absolutely LOVE a complete Day 1 launch start over. I have no problem handling PKs, never did. After the 2nd month of the game, I was running PoV...and by the 5th or 6th month of the game, we were one of the largest PvP anti-PK red hunter guilds on Atlantic...maybe THE largest dedicated to the cause.

Don't come here and tell me that *I*, of all people, shouldn't "even bother" with a Classic Server. I have spent more time advocating a Fel ruleset Classic Shard than probably ANYONE on the entire face of the Earth!!

Just because I can look beyond my own personal needs and wants, and consider the longevity of the shard does not mean that I don't want it!! I it want more than almost anything I can think of. I know that's sad...but I don't care. I loved Ultima Online, and the day that the devs split the world, a part of me died.

You go ahead and call me melodramatic, immature, a trammie, a carebear, whatever you want, but the TRUTH is...I was on the Atlantic Shard when it launched, I lived through the days that we want to re-create, and I met some of the best friends I have ever known through this game...and I met them in real life as a result.

I have seen so many people say "It was just a game"...but I am sorry, I invested 13 years of my life, and over $4000 of my own money in the form of monthly fees. So you can call it a game...I call it a part of my life...and I will be damned if someone like you is going to tell me that I don't care about a Classic Shard.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

So where do we all stand here??

I don't want to start another thread with a poll...that seems gratuitous at this point.

How about this, just post the following: (of course just post the option and your choice...no smart arses please :) )

Classic Shard - Yes/No
Day 1/Launch - Yes/No
T2A - Yes/No
UO:R - Yes/No
Checks on PKing - Yes/No
Trammel - Yes/No

I think these are the main sticking points on the idea of a classic shard. If we could narrow it down after the discussions here, then I think we would be closer to presenting a unified front than ever before.

My answers:
Classic Shard - Yes
Day 1/Launch - Yes
T2A - No...would prefer Launch, but would happily accept this as a second choice.
UO:R - No
Checks on PKing - Yes
Trammel - Hell No

U

Unsatisfied

Classic Shard - Yes
Day 1/Launch - 2nd choice
T2A - Yes
UO:R - 3rd
Checks on PKing - T2A murderer ruleset should be checks on pks
Trammel - No

L

Longest Journey

Actually, you are half right here. The devs made a mistake with Trammel, but it wasn't people whining that made them do it...

...It was people quitting because reds refused to acknowledge that other people didn't want to participate in PvP.
So, because the red players were PvPing in an open PvP game, they were in the wrong? You contradict yourself.

You say you want an open PvP server, yet, you want the PvP curbed as much as possible?

I never saw any sort of decline in the number of people in the game. Through out T2A, the banks were always crowded, in every town, you couldnt go anywhere without running into other players. People were litterally every where. Now, if the game was bleeding accounts like you claim, then how come there wasnt a visible decrease of players?

Seriously, how do you explain that? How do you explain the crowded game if so many people were qutting? The answer is, you cant. The truth of the matter is, OSI didnt want to admit they took the lazy route and made trammel for the sole purpose of silencing the incessant whining of those who couldnt handle PvP.

Second, it wasnt the reds and PvP crowd who made Trammel, it was the people who wouldnt stop crying about getting killed. I mean, how did they act when a monster killed and looted them? No one to blame but themselves..... that must have been an interesting screaming match with the mirror......

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

You say you want an open PvP server, yet, you want the PvP curbed as much as possible?
No, Trammel was "as much as possible" and I think it was too much. Read the posts above. I am tired of explaining it.

No to Trammel.

Yes to open PvP with consequences.

If you don't understand that...I cannot help you.

L

Longest Journey

@ Morgana and everyone else who worries about PKs, heres something I cooked up using other ideas that were mentioned, plus and old tactic from the past.

------------------------------------------------

Project title: "Just Justice"

Part 1:

A red gets killed. Hes got 10 kills on his character. Therefore, he wont be able to rez for 10 days. # of kills = how many days you cant rez. After the resurrection penalty is up and you rez, your character will suffer a 40.0% loss in your highest skills and a -40 to your two highest stats.

Part 2:

When you go red and someone beats you down to 0 health. Instead of dying, you are rendered incapacitated and bleeding out. While incapacitated, players will be free to loot you of everything you have in your backpack. If you are somehow incapacitated by a monster, it will simply smash your head and kill you. While on the ground, one of 6 things can happen:

-1.) You bleed out after 45 seconds and die

-2.) A player uses and bladed item to cut your throat and finish you off

-3.) A blue player can use blacksmith crafted shackles on you.

-4.) Someone can heal and revive you. (with minimal health)

-5.) A monster simply finishes you off (Only if downed by a monster)

-6.) Animals (like wolves, panthers, bears or other carnivors) will eat you leaving only bones, thus speeding up your corpse decay.

Part 3:

If shackled, your character will revive but will be uncontrolable. It will auto follow the player who captured you to whatever desintaion they so choose, even through a moongate. Your character will revive with minimal health, mana, and stamina.

Part 4:

If the player who captured you takes you to a town with a prison, your character will be placed in a prison cell and stripped of all items on the character when your captor speaks to a jailor NPC at the local prison. While shackled, a red player can be led into town, but is unattackable, nor can they attack anyone else.

Part 5:

Shackling only lasts for so long. After one hour, the red will manage to slip their bindings and will regain full control of their character. Also, a player with lockpicking skill will be able to free a red should they kill the captor.

Part 6:

While shackled, you cannot use any items in your backpack or cast any spells. Also while shackled, your health, mana, and stamina will not recover. You will also not be able to be healed while shackled.

Part 7:

If imprisoned, you will serve 1 day for every kill you have. You will also be fined 1000 gold for every murder count. If the player does not have the gold, they will serve off the fine with one extra hour added to their sentence for every 1gp of the fine they do not have in their bank box.

Example: A murderer has 10 murder counts against them. They will be fined 10,000 gold. The murderer has no gold in their bank to try and cheat the system. Therefore, 10,000 extra hours will be added to their sentence.

Part 8:

After you complete your sentence, you will be turned blue and stripped of all fame and karma, reset to neutral. Also as a result of being in prison for so long, you will suffer a 40.0% loss to your highest skills and -40 to your highest stats.

Part 9:

The only way to serve out either the no rez death penalty or the prison sentence, the character must be logged in. If logged out, the timers will not decrease.

Part 10:

To avoid these harsh penalties, Red players must seek out an unattackable Magistrate located near each virtue shrine. To wipe the slate clean, they must pay a massive fine of over 500,000 gp and accept a 30.0% loss to their highest skills and a -30 to their highest stats.

Part 11:

Reds will be able to wait off murder counts if they do not die. However, this only applies up till 5 murder counts in a row. Get 5 murder counts, and you go perma red. At which point, the only way to become blue is to pay 500,000 gold to a magistrate, or get arrested and serve off their counts in prison. Each murder count will take 3 days to wait off.

Part 12:

If you kill once, you got grey. While grey, if you kill again, it beings your official time as a murderer. The grey penalty for killing will last for 12 hours and must be waited off while logged in on that character.

-----------------------------------

So, while this isnt as extreme as perma-death, it will still make becoming a red a serious decision.

It gives players the power to inflict the most harshest penalty, while making sure death isnt an easy escape for reds.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the T2A era when there were all of those penalties, pks existed but they didnt rule the world. After it was made so easy for them, removing stat loss, allowing them into towns, allowing them to keep their runebooks etc, red healers so on and so forth reds became rampart.
Question.

I wasn't in the game when this was happening. Were there complaints being made by Pk players that the penaties were to much? What motivated EA to 'make it so easy for them'?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Classic Shard - No, unless there are serious checks on PKing.

Day 1/Launch - No, unless there are serious checks on PKing.

T2A - No, unless there are serious checks on PKing.

UO:R - Yes, if there can't be another effective way to avoid the rampant
PKing that made Tram necessary.

Checks on PKing - Yes, to a point PvMers can play without being PKed as a tiresome routine (from the PvMers viewpoint). Playing PvM with PKers around should be safer than playing tag on foot, on an expressway, with cars going 70 mph, or at least safer than walking into a kennel of rabid wolves.

Trammel - Yes, if there can't be another effective way to avoid the rampant PKing that made Tram necessary.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She's being realistic. No non-PvPer or non-PKer is going to play the Classic Shard as you want it to be, and because there won't be the easy targets to PK, the Pker crowd will leave again.

I never saw any sort of decline in the number of people in the game. Through out T2A, the banks were always crowded, in every town, you couldnt go anywhere without running into other players. People were litterally every where. Now, if the game was bleeding accounts like you claim, then how come there wasnt a visible decrease of players?
You were to busy playing a PK character to notice? EA didn't do something as drastic as creating Tram lightly.

Seriously, how do you explain that? How do you explain the crowded game if so many people were qutting? The answer is, you cant. The truth of the matter is, OSI didnt want to admit they took the lazy route...
They took the lazy route to do what? What was it they had to do?

and made trammel for the sole purpose of silencing the incessant whining of those who couldnt handle PvP.
Actually, the problem was they couldn't handle endless fun destroying PK.

You talk as if PvP & Pk are the same thing. They're not. PvPers are warriors who fight other warriors, Pkers just hunt weaker players and in no way rate the title of Pvper.

Second, it wasnt the reds and PvP crowd who made Trammel, it was the people who wouldnt stop crying about getting killed.
"Golly Gee Dummies! It wasn't the Great Honorable Clown pouring barrels of water on the carpet that made moving to another party room nessesary, it was the finicky, fussy, types who didn't like walking through a just few drops of water!"

I mean, how did they act when a monster killed and looted them?
Monsters can be avoided and don't endlessy chase down & kill player characters. Monsters don't dance and gloat over their Crafter template victims like they are the most manly, tough, and powerful that ever existed. AI monsters have more class than the average PKer.

Shall I go on? :)

No one to blame but themselves..... that must have been an interesting screaming match with the mirror......
The only ones they have to blame are the PK players who can't understand the concept that if you kill off and drive away all your food animals, your going to starve. Simple Darwinism.

U

Unsatisfied

Question.

I wasn't in the game when this was happening. Were there complaints being made by Pk players that the penaties were to much? What motivated EA to 'make it so easy for them'?
I'm not sure to be honest, I never followed who was complaining about what because I was perfectly happy with how things ran, but if there were complaints by pks was it worse than tramel? I think IF there were complaints they would happily be retracted after seeing where lighter penalties for reds got then in the end. Tram.

I really just don't see the harm in trying it, being more true to the word "classic" to begin with and if it's not effective placing extra controls later.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Part 1:

A red gets killed. Hes got 10 kills on his character. Therefore, he wont be able to rez for 10 days. # of kills = how many days you cant rez. After the resurrection penalty is up and you rez, your character will suffer a 40.0% loss in your highest skills and a -40 to your two highest stats.

Part 2:

When you go red and someone beats you down to 0 health. Instead of dying, you are rendered incapacitated and bleeding out. While incapacitated, players will be free to loot you of everything you have in your backpack. If you are somehow incapacitated by a monster, it will simply smash your head and kill you. While on the ground, one of 6 things can happen:

-6.) Animals (like wolves, panthers, bears or other carnivors) will eat you leaving only bones, thus speeding up your corpse decay.

Part 3:

If shackled, your character will revive but will be uncontrolable. It will auto follow the player who captured you to whatever desintaion they so choose, even through a moongate. Your character will revive with minimal health, mana, and stamina.

Part 4:

If the player who captured you takes you to a town with a prison, your character will be placed in a prison cell and stripped of all items on the character when your captor speaks to a jailor NPC at the local prison. While shackled, a red player can be led into town, but is unattackable, nor can they attack anyone else.

Part 5:

Shackling only lasts for so long. After one hour, the red will manage to slip their bindings and will regain full control of their character. Also, a player with lockpicking skill will be able to free a red should they kill the captor.

Part 6:

While shackled, you cannot use any items in your backpack or cast any spells. Also while shackled, your health, mana, and stamina will not recover. You will also not be able to be healed while shackled.

Part 7:

If imprisoned, you will serve 1 day for every kill you have. You will also be fined 1000 gold for every murder count. If the player does not have the gold, they will serve off the fine with one extra hour added to their sentence for every 1gp of the fine they do not have in their bank box.

Example: A murderer has 10 murder counts against them. They will be fined 10,000 gold. The murderer has no gold in their bank to try and cheat the system. Therefore, 10,000 extra hours will be added to their sentence.

Part 8:

After you complete your sentence, you will be turned blue and stripped of all fame and karma, reset to neutral. Also as a result of being in prison for so long, you will suffer a 40.0% loss to your highest skills and -40 to your highest stats.

Part 9:

The only way to serve out either the no rez death penalty or the prison sentence, the character must be logged in. If logged out, the timers will not decrease.

Part 10:

To avoid these harsh penalties, Red players must seek out an unattackable Magistrate located near each virtue shrine. To wipe the slate clean, they must pay a massive fine of over 500,000 gp and accept a 30.0% loss to their highest skills and a -30 to their highest stats.

Part 11:

Reds will be able to wait off murder counts if they do not die. However, this only applies up till 5 murder counts in a row. Get 5 murder counts, and you go perma red. At which point, the only way to become blue is to pay 500,000 gold to a magistrate, or get arrested and serve off their counts in prison. Each murder count will take 3 days to wait off.

Part 12:

If you kill once, you got grey. While grey, if you kill again, it beings your official time as a murderer. The grey penalty for killing will last for 12 hours and must be waited off while logged in on that character.

-----------------------------------

So, while this isnt as extreme as perma-death, it will still make becoming a red a serious decision.

It gives players the power to inflict the most harshest penalty, while making sure death isnt an easy escape for reds.
I have no issue with it. But I think it might be extreme.

Again, if you would have actually read the posts above, you would have seen that I would prefer the simple methods and consequences mentioned by other players such as Kaleb. It is only when the murderer takes it to extremes that I believe extremes such as this are necessary.

Believe it or not, I am closer to the side the of the reds than the blues. I just think than that some restraint has to be shown, and that he only way that will happen is through checks, limits, and consequences.

I am not advocating for perma-death for every red! I knew many reds that were decent people that got POed at blues once too often! I can understand that! Who hasnt been mad enough to kill in UO?

But if the limits we mentioned before don't work (the ones the devs already tried) then I would advocate for harsher penalties like the ones you describe above. And if those didn't work...

...well, anything would be preferable to Trammel.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I'm not sure to be honest, I never followed who was complaining about what because I was perfectly happy with how things ran, but if there were complaints by pks was it worse than tramel? I think IF there were complaints they would happily be retracted after seeing where lighter penalties for reds got then in the end. Tram.

I really just don't see the harm in trying it, being more true to the word "classic" to begin with and if it's not effective placing extra controls later.
There is great wisdom in this post.

Devs and players take heed. This person has 'gotten it'.

Trammel was the worst case scenario for all of us because it led to AoS.

There is no need to put such an extreme limitation on the game beyond laziness.

As he said, if PKing coudl not be controlled, stricter controls could be placed upon reds. There is no need for a complete and utter removal of red players...this is ridiculous! Reds paid their money as well. Should they be allowed to monopolize servers to the point that no one else could use them? Of course not, but they should never have been essentially shut out of participation and interaction.

A Classic Shard, done the right way, could address this without splitting the community.

U

Unsatisfied

There is great wisdom in this post.

Devs and players take heed. This person has 'gotten it'.

Trammel was the worst case scenario for all of us because it led to AoS.

There is no need to put such an extreme limitation on the game beyond laziness.

As he said, if PKing coudl not be controlled, stricter controls could be placed upon reds. There is no need for a complete and utter removal of red players...this is ridiculous! Reds paid their money as well. Should they be allowed to monopolize servers to the point that no one else could use them? Of course not, but they should never have been essentially shut out of participation and interaction.

A Classic Shard, done the right way, could address this without splitting the community.
It's pretty much what i've been suggesting from the start, even if it's taken this long for people to see that, I'm glad someone finally does.

R

Rouss

WHAT THE HECK YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT?

PEE KAYS PEE KAYS OMG! No, really?

Why you're so afraid of them? They do right things for UO economy that is not zero-sum at all. I wont explain this, if you're smart enough you'll understand.

What EA/Mythic needs to do is a Classic (T2A as of November '99) shard with supported by modern 3D client (I'm not talking about LA2/WoW look-alikes, meanwhile, current clients including SA, KR and 'Classic' are rather horrible) with fixed camera and authentic graphics (hell of a work indeed). EA has a very nice game with a ruleset and story behind liked by many people. Seriously, do you have any idea how many people out there drop a tear hearing 'Stones' tune? Or remembering battles and journeys of the past? No other MMORPG gave out this amount of positive emotions ever. Period.

Why not give it a shot? In this economy, if you wanna succeed, you should take a risk. Give the opportunity do that to really devoted people who care about what UO was, is and will be.

If you're not going to do that, please, abandon UO now, please, don't make it even more crappy.

G

georgemarvin2001

@Morgana:
Classic shard: Yes!
T2A: Yes
T2A Order/Chaos: Yes
Severe, early T2A era penalties for PK'ers: Yes!
Bounty system: Yes, with changes so players couldn't collect bounties on themselves
UO:R Factions: No
UO:R Trammel: No
Pub 16 Power scrolls: NO!!!!!
Pub 8-16 bug fixes and improvements for convenience: Yes
AOS Customized houses: Yes
Post-AOS plant system: Yes
Post-AOS new craftables and house add-ons: Yes

Remember way back in Beta, when they promised that practically every item in the game would eventually be crafted or grown by players? I consider the custom houses, plants and home deco to just be fulfilling promises made way back when the game was first introduced.

@Tanivar: The PK'ers did complain about the severity of the penalties, but they were a small part of the subscriber base until UO removed all of those penalties, so I don't think the PKers' protests were the reason all the penalties were removed before the launch of UO:R and Trammel. It was just a business decision to convince people that the changes that they were making were necessary. It would be about like if the President declared murder to be legal here, then said that he had no idea that making it legal would cause the murder rate to go up. Likewise, the decision to remove all the penalties for murder wasn't because they were idiots. They knew exactly what would happen. They removed the penalties for murder in the game to cause a problem which introducing Trammel would conveniently solve.

The fact that EA hired a group of Diablo players as the Dev team for that era, to guide the future of UO from UO:R through AOS should give us an idea of their plans for UO at that time. They wanted to turn the UO world into a simple, kid-friendly PvM and consensual PvP fighting game like Diablo. Unfortunately, all of those kids that they expected to leave the free Diablo 2 online and pay to play a more kid-friendly version of UO just never showed up, and AOS caused a large percentage of UO's loyal subscriber base to leave.

Unfortunately, after leaving UO, several of the same Devs responsible for AOS tried a similar re-write of Star Wars Galaxies, with the same effect: After re-writing the item and fighting systems, there was a mass exodus from the game, similar to the post-AOS exodus from UO. SWG lost most of its 200,000 subscribers in a matter of weeks, and the hundreds of thousands of new players that they promised just never showed up.

People today talk in terms of PvP and PvM. They tend to forget that the original UO was conceived as a whole online WORLD. Fighting was only supposed to be one part of the activities of the online community. There were merchants, treasure hunters, craftsmen, people who just sat at the forges and repaired armor for tips, thieves, miners, etc. There was a lot more to do than just play the simple fighting game that was Diablo. In the early days of UO, it wasn't unusual to see a blacksmith/warrior or a tailor/mage as a player's main character. There was a sense of community; people had to depend on each other. You carried your equipment to a crafter you could trust for repairs. Some players never ventured out of town; they were respected merchants and craftsmen.

R

Rouss

People today talk in terms of PvP and PvM. They tend to forget that the original UO was conceived as a whole online WORLD. Fighting was only supposed to be one part of the activities of the online community. There were merchants, treasure hunters, craftsmen, people who just sat at the forges and repaired armor for tips, thieves, miners, etc. There was a lot more to do than just play the simple fighting game that was Diablo. In the early days of UO, it wasn't unusual to see a blacksmith/warrior or a tailor/mage as a player's main character. There was a sense of community; people had to depend on each other. You carried your equipment to a crafter you could trust for repairs. Some players never ventured out of town; they were respected merchants and craftsmen.
QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That it would be a World to explore was my impression of UO based on my playing the stand-alone games. What I found when I logged in (to Tram) was a fun world with people to talk with, hunt with, and have fun with. However, what I found when I went (to Fel) after the double-resources were PKers (and many other forum bannable names) who ganked easy targets and babbled how they'd pwned me and all the other garbage they spouted like they were the greatest things ever. Going to Fel was suicidal 90% of the time for my Crafters. Only my Forager could survive there, and the repetative PK attacks got tiresome even though he normally won against the PKers who clearly were not expecting a combat template opponet.

If I had to choose between Tram or Fel as an either/or choice, I would choose Tram. Tram can be played and enjoyed by those who are not into PvPing or PKing. Fel on the other hand can not be because of the (forum bannable adjectives) PKers who slaughter non-PvP and probably weaker PKers like it was the sole source of fun in the game, which for them, as they talk, is clearly the case. As for me, my primary source of fun in the game is Crafting & exploring the world. Fun the Pkers prevent.

I could handle a fel ruleset world if the PK problem was limited to the occasional homicidal maniac. My Forager's who have combat templates could likely hold their own in a confrontation with a PvPer once the items from AOS are gone, but the PKers, who endlessly hunt easy targets like Crafter template characters are things to be controlled and limited. If they are allowed to drive out non-PK and non-PvP players from the Classic Shard, what kind of community will there be?

EA may have had the intention of making the PK problem worse by easing the restrictions to get the PKers to prove Tram was needed. If so, the PKers certainly did the deed for EA. Got suckered into it hook, line, and sinker.

K

Keep Hope Alive

I remember in 1998 I had very high HIDING skill. I would recall in front of my house and immediately hit my Hiding macro button. I would pause, look around the screen for signs of life (or reds more specifically). Then I would immediately open the front door of my house, run inside, and hit my "Last Object" macro to slam the door behind me.

I never had my keys stolen EVER. Only once did I have a hider/stealther sneak inside the house and loot a few things.

I was never a PK. I went red once because I took one too many murder counts, but was never perma-red. I loved living in the constant state of "watch your back".

Keep Hope Alive.

W

wills

I like a lot of these suggestions for controlling player-killing, but I'm going to beat the drum one more time for simpler solutions, as the developers would already have their hands full building a classic shard, and they're simply not going to implement a complex system.

Perhaps we should look at this from a different angle; that is, think not just of how to punish a player once he decides to go red, but also in terms of limiting the number of players who choose to go red in the first place. The fact is, when given five character slots, it's not a big deal to go red and into stat loss with one of your characters. So, we have a couple of options here:

What happens if we limit accounts to one character on the classic shard, a la Siege?

I wouldn't be a huge fan of this, but it might interesting. Only the most dedicated player-killers would go red with their one character (or get another account $$$). In addition, this would make the community (and especially crafters) much stronger.

If this is too extreme, more simply, perhaps make it so that accounts with red characters can't own houses (and if characters on an account own a house at the time one of the characters goes red, it begins to decay). This would force reds into a kind of outlaw situation. Also make it so these characters can't be friends of houses either, so they can't just have a blue account buy one for them, friend them, etc. It's been ten years, so I may be forgetting how the housing system worked back then with friends and the like (post-keys, I mean).

Anyway, such quick fixes would discourage the players who spend a few days building a character and then go red on a whim, just to grief.

Just a thought.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are too many cool features to limit UO to just one ERA, Back in T2A I nearly quit due to boredom, the release of 2nd Age was cool and exciting, but after time became boring, just like every other landmass created, Hence why places like tok islands, malas, ish, SA were created. You cant run a game and not add features or update it people will get bored and leave.

On a very popular PRS the programmers run 3 style of servers, one that is 2nd age and almost an exact copy, and has not been changed in the 5+ years its been active, unfortunately only a couple hundred players play there.

2nd is a Server that is around PUB 15 (based on UO:R) Has no tram, no PS, none of the new lands from Ish-SA, but has many items and systems either from Newer expansions (like custom housing, ChampSpawn's(in t2a only) that do not give PS, BOD's, RUNICs(keep in mind runics were only unbalanced with Item bless deeds), Items, and decor that do not create unbalance.), or dev created(Dueling system/pits, Texas holdem poker gold sink, RP areas). this server is constantly updated and balanced. No restrictions on PK's, but yet a few thousand players of all playstyles play it. If they went to a system that kept PK's in check, like what I suggested earlier, then the numbers would be even higher. Plus they had ethy polarbears/ hyrus couple years before EA/Mythic, tell me the devs dont play this shard lol.

3rd is a Modern Aos style of game(last time I logged in it was running ML) Almost an exact copy complete with Trammel, just a lot fewer bugs. and again like the 2nd age shard only a few hundred play that server too.

Just comparing the numbers of players, we would all be fools to let Mythic make just one era like just T2A, thats why we need something like PRS #2, many of us that are for a "classic" shard play UO today, a lot are playing on Atlantic, Pacific exc.exc that are unable to post here. There have been systems put into place that are very cool and if thought of and added to UO:R without Trammel With proper PK penalties(like I suggested), EQ would have had nothing on us.

So to me a "classic" server is based around the original Item,Combat,Skill systems, no trammel, No power/stat scrolls, No insurance, No Private Housing/Old school Texas law housing, 14-21 day house fall timer(I only say 21 due to PRS#2 deciding 21 days is better than 14), no jewelry with any any kind of buff, No soulstones, No advanced characters, no Shard-xfers except from a like shard Say Classic east to Classic West

But not limited to (using PRS2 as a main source)
Custom housing
BoD's, though to get this to work PRS#2 had to give smiths and tailors Powerscrolls to be able to fill the higher end bods easier.
Commodity deeds
Current Vet rewards except Soulstones
plants
Decor items/house addons
factions (extremely popular during UO:R when you could fight anywhere)
Quests
Lands/dungeons
Various bug/exploit fixes
Some of the new Critters and bosses(Like PRS#2 has Champspawns in T2A that only drop the piles of gold think its 420k, and the basic corpse loot drops, hard as hell to complete but very fun).

Runic weapons/armor. while at first I thought was unbalancing I realized playing PRS#2 that is not the case, Item Bless deeds made runic weapons unbalancing on prodo shards, with out item bless deeds runic weaps are great for the crafter they wear out/break, looted, lost on corpse but not so overpowerd where loot items become obsolete.

Stackable items.

The list can go on and on, I don't see as long as they stay true to the original concept of UO how modernizing it would hurt it at all, It is not unbalancing to Combat/Gameplay, Gives every playstyle something to do, With a more Modern "classic" shard we would be more likely to bring in players who have only played AOS-SA. I know quite a few people who started playing UO just for the custom housing.

We can be greedy and say just make it 2nd age (I would enjoy that server also), But that wouldn't be fair for other players and make it a bit more difficult to bring in current/new players. In the big picture only a few things hurt the current UO

Penalties removed from PK's
Trammel (dont get me wrong trammel was needed but not combined with the shards like they are now)
PowerScrolls
AOS
Insurance
Private Housing
Soulstones

Everything else about UO was/has been great.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I skimmed down through the thread and copied ideas for the Classic Shard that stood out. It's fairly long.

What are the thoughts on it's content from people not at either unchangable extreme end of the discussion?

====================

Here are some key things that make up a classic shard:

1: No AOS combat items
2: No PowerScrolls
3: One ruleset (both fel and tram versions in fact are needed)
4: Revert of Resisting spells skill
5: 14 day house decay timer
6: Texas Law Housing rules IE: no private houses (but can include custom houses)
7: no X-fers on or off, no advanced characters
8: Chaos, Order
9: Classic client Use only
10: No insurance
11: - Expanded guard zones. Not so good for one reason, it would encroach on areas for housing placement near towns.
12: - Random wandering NPCs that attacked only reds placed at PK hotspots. And to add to the immersion of the world, each town could dispatch their own unique Red hunter NPC patrols. Like Trinsic would dispatch patrols of paladins, Britain would dispatch knights, Vesper would dispatch mariner mercenaries. Stuff like that. The NPCs would also have to be really strong, like old school ogre lord strong. And the groups would consist of melee and ranged combatants.
13: One character goes red, all characters on the account go red. No, and heres why. Blue PKs. You know, those jerks who would run through your fire field and turn you grey. If you kill them, you go red. So, no, too much potential for ass-h****s to abuse.
14: Real time jail terms for PKs. Interesting idea. It could be the result of getting nailed by the guards. Or, the result of getting captured by blue players.

Example: Instead of being killed when their health hits 0, the red is incapacitated and cannot move, fight, or use anything in the backpack, but still fully lootable. This way, the player who kills them still gets to loot all of their stuff and they wont have anything to escape with from jail. While incapacitated, blue players could use craftable shackles (made by blacksmiths, go player crafted items!) and apprehend the red player. the red players character would then become like a follower and follow the blue player to the nearest dugeon for arrest. Once there, the blue player talks to a jailor NPC and the red player is then teleported to a vacant cell to serve out a certain amount of time dependent on how many murder they have commited.

However, to balance things out, the red could be sprung by someone if the blue transporting them gets killed before they can get them to the jail.
15: Perma death for reds that reached a certain number of murders and were killed. No perma death. However, making it so that they cannot be rezed for an extended amount of time, say, a month if they are perma red, should cut it.
16: Better incentives for anti-PK guilds. Like what kind of incentives? Perhaps specially marked clothing or titles? Dye tubs? Stuff like that is okay. Nothing that can affect gameplay though.
17: Guards that could be killed, rather than the one hit your dead guards that we have, guards should have appeared, ran up and attacked the player, allowing players to fight off the guards, but other players would run up and help this guards, this would have added more to the excitement of PvP.
18: There would need to be a way to make sure that consenting PvP didn't record as a murder though. If I (as a blue) went in after a PKer who just won't let up, he shouldn't get a murder count if he wins. I accepted the risk by going after him. Some kind switch & indicator that shows my character has PvP intentions would need to be added.

19: First off trammel is gone, its is now Britannia.

The lands will be divided into noncon/safe areas think WoW on this.
Most open land will be NoNcon PvP say 70-80%

all anti virtue dungeons will be noncon
all virtue dungeons will be "safe"

All remaining dungeons will be evenly divided between Noncon/safe.

All Cities will be considered safe except Bucs and maybe 1 more.

the mountains will be considered "safe" around Minoc (so miners/mules can gather in safety) but resources will be 1x in safe areas 2x in non safe areas.

Reds can go anywhere but are subject to attack in "safe areas" and only if attacked in a "safe" area can they defend themselves and kill a blue. In non safe areas reds and blues can attack anyone.

If your in Chaos/Order, Factions, Warring guild, Red there is no safe place.

Drawbacks to being RED, Not able to keep blessed/newbie items, Stat/Skill loss upon each death brought on by a player. Not allowed to use NPC's except for bankers in Safe citys. Subject to attack anywhere.

---------------------------------

20:
I have several ideas on how to deal with PKing:

- Expand guardzones where necessary to cut down on PK choke points. One of the biggest issues back in the old days was that PKs would essentially take over certain areas...especially around moongates and the entrances and exits to the towns. As I recall, Moongates were not even originally under guard protection. That was changed within the first few days. Also, you used to not come out of the moongates invisible either. Which when combined with lag, meant you were robbed blind before you even saw your character by thieves.

- Add wandering NPC guards or soldiers. Someone in the thread, or another one, suggested making them unique to each town. I like that idea. Make them aggressive to reds only, and make them tough...like Lich Lord tough. It's cool if they have some loot on them...the reds might actually see the value in PvM that way.

- Include the ideas that Kaleb mentioned...stat loss for reds, newbie/blessed items drop to corpse for reds, reds not allowed in towns besides Buc's Den, NPC won't do business with reds besides in Buc's Den, wandering healers won't rez reds...they have to have a mage do it, or go to the chaos shrine...that's how it used to be.

- I think that murder counts should only 'burn off' if the character is alive. Standing by a moongate as a ghost while you sleep is not a disincentive, its a mild inconvenience.

- Bring back the bounty system, but find a way to make it so that it is not exploitable. How do you do this? ...

...Have an NPC with which players can register as bounty hunters. If you are not registered as a bounty hunter, you cannot collect bounties. To register, you have to agree that if any of the characters on your account goes red, you lose your status as a bounty hunter. If your character heals, cures, buffs a red player, you lose your status as a bounty hunter...and you go grey yourself for a certain period of time. But...bounty hunters play by the same rules as reds...stat loss, newbie items drop to corpse, etc. If you don't want to run with the dogs, stay on the porch. Also bounty hunters are freely attackable by reds, and they do not get murder counts for killing bounty hunters.

- Bring back Order/Chaos. With Order/Chaos...the opposite is freely attackable OUTSIDE guardzones...and none of the above conditions apply. But, an Order/Chaos member that goes red can no longer participate in Order/Chaos. Also, non Order/Chaos players cannot heal or cure or buff Order/Chaos players.

- *IF* these things don't keep PKing from causing lack of retention on the shard, then look into harsher options.

Personally, I think the above would be enough. If not, add jail time for PKs that die with x number of murder counts or more. That character would not be playable for a certain length of time based on the number of counts.

If that didn't do it, add in the "One goes Red, they all go Red" clause...meaning that every character on the account goes red if one does.

And finally, if none of that works, put in perma death for reds over a certain number of counts.

Those are my ideas on how to curtail, but not eliminate PKing. I think it would be enough without the harsher options mentioned near the bottom...but I would rather see the harsher options than Trammel or a PvP Switch.
Sure why not? If they cant attack anyone w/o being G-wacked, why limit them to the boarders? the only time they would be able to fight is if they were attacked in the GZ. The only reasons they would be in town would be to

A: Use the bank
B: In a battle, Faction, been attacked
c: Buying items from other players, though chances are if they stepped foot in town a dozen or more blues will attack them anyway.

There are many ways we can penalize a player for being a Murderer, but that doesn't mean we should throw in ways to make them social misfits. Yes, Playing a PK should be hard, but not so easy to where were flooded with PK's. Even to this day and age of UO i feel reds should be able to travel anywhere, but cannot attack anyone outside fel, but outside fell they could be attacked, and fight back if the situation arises. Same as I feel Factions should be able to fight anywhere in any land of todays UO.

22:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Part 6:

Part 7:

Part 8:

Part 9:

Part 10:

Part 11:

Part 12:

24: What happens if we limit accounts to one character on the classic shard, a la Siege?

I wouldn't be a huge fan of this, but it might interesting. Only the most dedicated player-killers would go red with their one character (or get another account $$$). In addition, this would make the community (and especially crafters) much stronger.

If this is too extreme, more simply, perhaps make it so that accounts with red characters can't own houses (and if characters on an account own a house at the time one of the characters goes red, it begins to decay). This would force reds into a kind of outlaw situation. Also make it so these characters can't be friends of houses either, so they can't just have a blue account buy one for them, friend them, etc. It's been ten years, so I may be forgetting how the housing system worked back then with friends and the like (post-keys, I mean).

Anyway, such quick fixes would discourage the players who spend a few days building a character and then go red on a whim, just to grief.

25: So to me a "classic" server is based around the original Item,Combat,Skill systems, no trammel, No power/stat scrolls, No insurance, No Private Housing/Old school Texas law housing, 14-21 day house fall timer(I only say 21 due to PRS#2 deciding 21 days is better than 14), no jewelry with any any kind of buff, No soulstones, No advanced characters, no Shard-xfers except from a like shard Say Classic east to Classic West

But not limited to (using PRS2 as a main source)
Custom housing
BoD's, though to get this to work PRS#2 had to give smiths and tailors Powerscrolls to be able to fill the higher end bods easier.
Commodity deeds
Current Vet rewards except Soulstones
plants
Decor items/house addons
factions (extremely popular during UO:R when you could fight anywhere)
Quests
Lands/dungeons
Various bug/exploit fixes
Some of the new Critters and bosses(Like PRS#2 has Champspawns in T2A that only drop the piles of gold think its 420k, and the basic corpse loot drops, hard as hell to complete but very fun).

Runic weapons/armor. while at first I thought was unbalancing I realized playing PRS#2 that is not the case, Item Bless deeds made runic weapons unbalancing on prodo shards, with out item bless deeds runic weaps are great for the crafter they wear out/break, looted, lost on corpse but not so overpowerd where loot items become obsolete.

Stackable items.

The list can go on and on, I don't see as long as they stay true to the original concept of UO how modernizing it would hurt it at all, It is not unbalancing to Combat/Gameplay, Gives every playstyle something to do, With a more Modern "classic" shard we would be more likely to bring in players who have only played AOS-SA. I know quite a few people who started playing UO just for the custom housing.

We can be greedy and say just make it 2nd age (I would enjoy that server also), But that wouldn't be fair for other players and make it a bit more difficult to bring in current/new players. In the big picture only a few things hurt the current UO

Penalties removed from PK's
Trammel (dont get me wrong trammel was needed but not combined with the shards like they are now)
PowerScrolls
AOS
Insurance
Private Housing
Soulstones

==================================

The thread is getting close to 350 posts. Let's see if we can get a rough draft of a Classic Shard compromise together by post 400.

The removal of anything AOS is apparently settled. There not being a Tram in any way shape or form is close to settled. The need to control PKing is accepted by most. Whether or not to include non-AOS later additions is up in the air yet.

Anyone open to a compromise on the Classic Shard want to chime in and help this cause? :)

G

Gowron

Classic Shard

T2A
Fel Ruleset
Standard Housing: (Custom housing came with or after AOS...NO!)
All Houses open to the public. Those not friended are grey to the owner.
Reds: Stat Loss, insta Guard Whacked for being in town (exception Bucc's Den)
Order/Chaos Wars (I believe Factions came around after Trammel was established)
No power/stat scrolls
No champ spawns
No runics
No special moves in combat (Of course, certain weapons and fighting styles had random chances to execute some, ie halberds had concussion blow resulting in a 20% mana loss if I remember right)

Now, any discussions regarding Tram only servers is NOT a Classic Shard.
Any discussions regarding house customization is NOT a Classic Shard.

I will concur that reds and thieves were problems back in the day, but the game did have dire consequences for going red, and thieves had to play it very carefully before picking their "mark".

Any discussions that hint toward Tram only or customized housing are only discussing some bastardized version of a Custom Shard and NOT a Classic.

Congratulations again, people. No matter how many times I revisit this thread, it has always reverted to the previous threads' circular arguements with nothing being accomplished. I'm also woefully disappointed that folks still think that because they want something, or that many enjoyed it back to the day, that all of a sudden thousands of people are just going to come back because a Classic Shard was established. It's even worse when they fail to provide any empirical evidence to support said claims.

In other words, this thread has only repeated the crap stated before. Don't hold your breath for the Classic Shard to come. I doubt seriously that EA is going to put forth a credible amount of effort for this being that folks can't agree on what a Classic Shard is, and that it won't definitively improve the EA bottom line and profit margin.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Classic Shard

In other words, this thread has only repeated the crap stated before. Don't hold your breath for the Classic Shard to come. I doubt seriously that EA is going to put forth a credible amount of effort for this being that folks can't agree on what a Classic Shard is, and that it won't definitively improve the EA bottom line and profit margin.
I seriously suspect anything that is a skill-based UO without all the Items from AOS and the following Item Pack Expansions, and that you spend most of your time walking around in a color game screen, would draw back players and improve EAs bottom line. That true hate for anything AOS seems to be the one common thing we agree on. :)

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, And if we were forced to go back in time and only have the systems that were/are decade old, I more than likely will not play it and stick to what we have now or free server. I was bored and about to quit UO all together back then (t2a), Factions kept me in UO during the release of UO:R. Opening up a classic shard is on the table at the moment, It is the reason this thread had not been closed. What they want to see is if the community can come up with a viable template of a classic shardwithout excluding any playstyle. If the shard were only t2a and that's it, then a lot of playstyles become excluded and it would be hard to get anyone to play it that has not been there in the past. Then all the time wasted would be in vein. It would be deserted like the t2a shard that is Free. just something keep that in mind just pro t2a people.

If there were no AOS, insurance, powerscrolls, trammel then in a sense we would be playing a Classic UO, if the game did not evolve then it would be lights out. As long as whatever Shard they decide to make is within the original spirit of UO(pre:aos no trammel) It too would be considered a "classic shard"

L

Llamfia

Classic Shard

T2A
Fel Ruleset
No power/stat scrolls
No champ spawns
No runics
No special moves in combat (Of course, certain weapons and fighting styles had random chances to execute some, ie halberds had concussion blow resulting in a 20% mana loss if I remember right)

/QUOTE]
THIS THIS THIS, the last pages are a pointless, this is exactly what should happen.

What you have said Is exactly what I want and every other old-timer, but the people who disagree what with what you said are the reason that there will be no Classic server ever, because if they dont get what they want, then they will go out of there way to make sure no server will happen.

Alot of people would play, doesnt take a Rocket Scientist to understand this.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Classic Shard

T2A
Fel Ruleset
No power/stat scrolls
No champ spawns
No runics
I could live with this. I still think it wouldn't last because of out of control PKing...but it would be fun for the 3-6 months it lasted before they closed it down or put Trammel on it.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1: No AOS combat items

2: No PowerScrolls

3: One ruleset Fel-based with real restraints on fun wrecking excessive PKing.

4: Revert of Resisting spells skill

5: Houses must be refreshed once a month. This can be done by a co-owner.

6: Allow characters to transfer in with their skills and items. Nothing with resists or bonus's should work pre-AOS anyway. It would all be deco.

8: Either Client is usable. It's just the UI.

9: No insurance

10: - Expanded guard zones. Won't effect housing.

11: - Random wandering NPCs that attack only reds placed at PK hotspots. And to add to the immersion of the world, each town could dispatch their own unique Red hunter NPC patrols. Like Trinsic would dispatch patrols of paladins, Britain would dispatch knights, Vesper would dispatch mariner mercenaries. Stuff like that. The NPCs would also have to be really strong, like old school ogre lord strong. And the groups would consist of melee and ranged combatants. They would have Tracking skill to hunt their target to make them hard to evade.

16: Better incentives for anti-PK guilds. Perhaps specially marked clothing or titles? Dye tubs? Stuff like that is okay. Nothing that can affect gameplay though.

17: All Cities will be considered safe except Bucs

18: Reds can go anywhere. In safe zones no one can attack another player, or be stolen from. In non safe areas reds and blues can attack anyone.

19: If your in Chaos/Order, or a Warring guild, Red there is no safe place.

20: Drawbacks to being RED, Not able to keep blessed/newbie items, Stat/Skill loss upon each death brought on by a player. Not allowed to use NPC's anywhere except Bucs. Can only rezz at the Chaos Shrine. Subject to attack anywhere.

21: Expand guardzones where necessary to cut down on PK choke points. One of the biggest issues back in the old days was that PKs would essentially take over certain areas...especially around moongates and the entrances and exits to the towns. Moongates will be under guard protection. You will come out of the moongates invisible.

23: Bring back the bounty system, but find a way to make it so that it is not exploitable. Have an NPC with which players can register as bounty hunters. If you are not registered as a bounty hunter, you cannot collect bounties. To register, you have to agree that if any of the characters on your account goes red, you lose your status as a bounty hunter. If your character heals, cures, buffs a red player, you lose your status as a bounty hunter...and you go grey yourself for a certain period of time. But...bounty hunters play by the same rules as reds...stat loss, newbie items drop to corpse, etc. If you don't want to run with the dogs, stay on the porch. Also bounty hunters are freely attackable by reds, and they do not get murder counts for killing bounty hunters.

24: Bring back Order/Chaos. With Order/Chaos...the opposite is freely attackable OUTSIDE guardzones...and none of the above conditions apply. But, an Order/Chaos member that goes red can no longer participate in Order/Chaos. Also, non Order/Chaos players cannot heal or cure or buff Order/Chaos players.

25: A red gets killed. Hes got 10 kills on his character. Therefore, he wont be able to rez for 10 days. # of kills = how many days you cant rezz. After the resurrection penalty is up and you rez, your character will suffer a 40.0% loss in your highest skills and a -40 to your two highest stats. If a red is really good he'll rarely see this penalty. But it may be a really long wait until he can rezz.

26: A pair or group of PvPers can confront each other, and 'agree to fight ' by both (most, not neccesarily all) entering combat mode. If this is the case, no one gets a murder count for any deaths. Anyone who does not enter combat mode and stays nearby is a valid target. All within this combat zone get a message informing them to leave if they do not want to fight and that thier death here will not count as a murder if they remain in that area.

Here is a list I like.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Still not a fan of the "safe zone" concept. It equates to a PvP switch and separates the population.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

My best version of a Classic Shard would be:

- Day 1/Launch land mass in the beginning with T2A added later.
- Fel only ruleset, no Trammel.
- No AoS/Pub 16 content...NONE.
- No custom housing...just the original house styles.
- House lock downs and security.
- Texas Justice system for houses.
- Reds not allowed in town besides Buc's Den.
- Stat Loss for reds.
- Bounty system that was not exploitable (bounty hunters register as such, can't be red or help reds, but do not count as murders if killed by reds)
- Order/Chaos
- Devs would need to watch the PK situation to make sure it stayed in check, and add more punitive actions if needed...but never a PvP switch or Trammel, or safe areas besides guard zones.
- No powerscrolls.
- No runics.
- No reward cloths or dyes of any kind. The original dye tub and pure black should be the only colors allowed for cloth.
- No neon colors of any kind besides the glacial staff...and that should be really rare.
- No fire beetles or blue beetles...or any beetles of any kind.
- Colored plate armor...yes, but only the original variants.
- Leather dye tubs...yes, but only the original colors.
- Duel option...neither player gets a count if both agree.
- Guildstones brought back.
- Skills and spells should function as they did originally.
- Bards go back to pre Pub 16!
- No pet bonding...but I think control slots might be needed.
- Current banking system instead of original one (held gold only...no item storage)
- Brit bank would not look like Central Park with a river flowing on top of it
- NO TRANSFERS TO OR FROM THE SHARD
- Moongates would be random again.

Those are just the big things...

E

Evlar

Classic Shard - Yes
Day 1/Launch - 2nd preference
T2A - Yes
UO:R - No
Checks on PKing - Yes
Trammel - No

Whatever format is used to contain rampant PK that seems to upset everyone, I'm happy with. It's just one part of the game to me anyway.

Item "free"... pre AOS era, you all know what I'm referring to ;)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Some people might argue against house lock downs...but if you remember what it was like placing chairs back then, to have someone move one, you probably won't! :)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still not a fan of the "safe zone" concept. It equates to a PvP switch and separates the population.
Your refering to these? There has to be some area a PvMer can go to and not be a target. We need PvMers for a Community. Do you have an alternative I missed when I skimmed through all the posts?

10: - Expanded guard zones. Won't effect housing.

17: All Cities will be considered safe except Bucs

18: Reds can go anywhere. In safe zones no one can attack another player, or be stolen from. In non safe areas reds and blues can attack anyone

What are your thoughts on #26?

26: A pair or group of PvPers can confront each other, and 'agree to fight ' by both (most, not neccesarily all) entering combat mode. If this is the case, no one gets a murder count for any deaths. Anyone who does not enter combat mode and stays nearby is a valid target. All within this combat zone get a message informing them to leave if they do not want to fight and that thier death here will not count as a murder if they remain in that area.

M

Malimus

Lets face it people... UO is merely a shell of its former glory. The only people left are the ones that have nothing better to do in life and cant find another game they like. Or they stick with it because they have already put so much time in getting all those ITEMS and building characters that it would seem crazy to curb it all and start anew. Something has to fill that void right?

I just sold all my UO belongings and accounts and it was not a easy thing to do. I spent years building my accounts and riches up and kept clinging on for the wrong reasons or in hopes of the ressurection of the real UO i loved so much. But i came to the decision i don't wanna go down on this sinking ship. So i bailed out and got what i could out of it before i did.

Now i would not have sold everything if i didn't think UO was basically dead. In fact Ultima Online IS DEAD to me. The current Ultima Online now feels and plays nothing like how it was. Therefore in my opinion the game is not the same game it was. The original UO was so good because it was the closest thing to a REAL LIFE dark ages type virtual world. You could do just about anything from robbing a house to upholding the law from those that would rob your house. Players united for good and for evil and so on.

Sure its easy to remember all the bad stuff that happened then too but so many seem to forget the good times and the real feeling of accomplishment that came with it. Either way todays UO is for todays type of UO players. So preaching the classic shard thing pretty much falls on deaf ears or those that just don't want it because they just do not understand and most likely never will.

A classic shard is the only real way to bring back a lot of the old players. The reasons most left were not do to money or anything like that (Although people did leave for this reason im sure). They left because the game they loved along with there community's slowly decayed away and was replaced piece by piece to become a totally different thing.

The reason people play free classic servers is because EA/Mythic doesn't offer the equivalent {SP is a joke}. I totally know hundreds if not thousands would come back for the classic UO experience again if it was made available and felt authentic.

Anyway the point i am trying to make is MAKE A DAMN CLASSIC SERVER! Stop listening to the crying trammies and what not. They are only crying because they don't wanna lose Easy Mode UO or Don't want there wealth stockpiles to be worthless or Don't want to lose a minor chunk of there shards population or ARE SELFISH!.

Fact is most of the population that the classic shard will get are people that will be coming back... not those that already play in Fisher Price UO. Not to mention most of the people that want this don't even play anymore because todays uo just stinks.

So ill leave it at that.... Most likely one of my last posts on stratics. Until of course the resurection of the old UO we know and love.

IF YOU BUILD IT... THEY WILL COME!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

There has to be some area a PvMer can go to and not be a target. We need PvMers for a Community.
I disagree. Splitting the community is what they did with Trammel. Instead of having areas that are not accessible to reds, or areas in which combat is impossible via some artificial game mechanic, there should be disincentive to kill indiscriminately. This is what I have been saying all along. I am not, nor have I ever been, saying that we don't need PvMers. It doesn't have to be 100% one way or the other.

What are your thoughts on #26?

I don't care for anything that is area based...it separates the population. I do support the idea of Murderer/Bounty Hunter PvP system that allows PvPers to fight without counts, I support Order/Chaos, guild wars, and a duel system in which 2 players can fight with no counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.