• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

if you talk to anyone that used to play UO, they would talk about how fun the game was and how exhilarting it was, not how unfair it was because the Pkers would always kill them. The people that complained about Pkers are the ones still playing UO, or the joke of UO that exhists. And it is a complete joke
You are preaching to the choir friend!

I have always said that open PvP made UO unique and genuinely challenging.

The thing is, people on both sides believe it has to be 100% one way or the other. The problem with that logic is that they tried that already.

When the game was 100% non-con PvP with little consequence, the game bled subscribers and the general population complained.

When Trammel was introduced, the game started suffering from people getting bored, and we got AoS.

This is something that I think everyone interested in a Classic Shard should try and understand:

We tried it both ways, and neither way has worked out the way we wanted it to!

If you were a PK, and enjoyed killing innocents, great! But you did so to a point that they had to change the game!

If you were not a PK, and didn't want to participate in PvP, you picked the wrong game! The game was open PvP from day 1, and instead of standing up for yourselves in game, you complained and quit.

The end result of both extremes was Trammel and by extension AoS.

We are where we are today because of the mistakes of the past. Let's not repeat them. Both sides, think about what could be gained here!!

- PKs...finally you get a chance to prey on someone other than the 30 or so people that might be hanging around Yew gate or a champ spawn for a change. You will once again be able to be 'evil'. But you are going to have to consider the consequences of your actions and pick and choose your victims, not just kill indiscriminately.

- PvMers and Crafters...you will finally get to participate in a world that has a real risk. Instead of just kiting stupid NPC creatures into a position that they can't hit you, and sitting back and collecting loot, you will face something that can't be tricked by a rock or twig on the ground. When you go out to hunt, there will be a chance that you might actually die and lose your stuff! Imagine that! A game that isn't just about hording stuff!

- And finally, both groups - You will get UO back. Without neon colors, without item insurance, without eyesore housing, without Ninja crap, without Elf crap, without item properties, without dead skills, without artificial limitations on what you can and cannot do, without scripters, without artifacts, without Luna, and without ridiculous Todd McFarlane crap!

And for those that read that last paragraph, and thought 'Hey...I like ______!!"

Then you will get to continue doing exactly what you have been doing for as long as you have been playing the game, only there will be one extra shard for you to scroll past when you log in.

Is that really so bad?

L

Llamfia

Interesting, seeing as 9 years ago there WAS a Tram.

UO:R came out in 2000. Which means your post about knowing what it was like 'back in the day' is moot. Nice try.
3rd-4th gradeish, which was 7-9 years old, nice try buddy, its a guesstimate

I remember when we first got faucet stones, which u had to place into the ground and a gate would appear.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

It would be interesting to see the IP addresses of some of these 1-10 post logins and how they compare to certain other posters in this thread.

L

Llamfia

You are preaching to the choir friend!

I have always said that open PvP made UO unique and genuinely challenging.

The thing is, people on both sides believe it has to be 100% one way or the other. The problem with that logic is that they tried that already.

When the game was 100% non-con PvP with little consequence, the game bled subscribers and the general population complained.

When Trammel was introduced, the game started suffering from people getting bored, and we got AoS.

This is something that I think everyone interested in a Classic Shard should try and understand:

We tried it both ways, and neither way has worked out the way we wanted it to!

If you were a PK, and enjoyed killing innocents, great! But you did so to a point that they had to change the game!

If you were not a PK, and didn't want to participate in PvP, you picked the wrong game! The game was open PvP from day 1, and instead of standing up for yourselves in game, you complained and quit.

The end result of both extremes was Trammel and by extension AoS.

We are where we are today because of the mistakes of the past. Let's not repeat them. Both sides, think about what could be gained here!!

- PKs...finally you get a chance to prey on someone other than the 30 or so people that might be hanging around Yew gate or a champ spawn for a change. You will once again be able to be 'evil'. But you are going to have to consider the consequences of your actions and pick and choose your victims, not just kill indiscriminately.

- PvMers and Crafters...you will finally get to participate in a world that has a real risk. Instead of just kiting stupid NPC creatures into a position that they can't hit you, and sitting back and collecting loot, you will face something that can't be tricked by a rock or twig on the ground. When you go out to hunt, there will be a chance that you might actually die and lose your stuff! Imagine that! A game that isn't just about hording stuff!

- And finally, both groups - You will get UO back. Without neon colors, without item insurance, without eyesore housing, without Ninja crap, without Elf crap, without item properties, without dead skills, without artificial limitations on what you can and cannot do, without scripters, without artifacts, without Luna, and without ridiculous Todd McFarlane crap!

And for those that read that last paragraph, and thought 'Hey...I like ______!!"

Then you will get to continue doing exactly what you have been doing for as long as you have been playing the game, only there will be one extra shard for you to scroll past when you log in.

Is that really so bad?
:thumbup1: great post

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morgana, go read a few pages of poster comments from each of the four threads linked to in post #202. These are said to be the ones who will return to play on a non-con PvP shard. Do you seriously think there is any chance that the Classic Shard with a fel ruleset wouldn't just be a slaughterhouse?

Please go read a bunch of those posts and come back here and tell me what kind of PK situation there would be on the Classic Shard with those players on it.

I'd like to know what you think.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Longest Journey said:
Seriously, you think people will want pub 16 over T2A? Take a look at the poll sometime. Its an eye opener.
Sure is - it indicates that not even enough people to fill a high school basketball gym care enough to even vote an option, let alone express an opinion.

It's simple, folks - there's never going to be a server that was like it was pre-Ren, without some controls/checks/balances. Not built by/hosted by EA. The best people can hope for is that EA will somehow put an in-game poll in place, and let people take a direct vote there for input. Or possibly one on the actual UO webpage - but that would require a paid subscription to hit MyUO. Such a poll on Stratics would hold no water, nor validity, just like many of the petition on-line style polls - anyone can register multiple accounts in either case, and abuse the voting system. It's why companies don't take them seriously.

People on one side - those that still play, and pay to play, have openly offered compromise, including things that would make it attractive to that other (MUCH larger) set of people that have quit UO - the ones that weren't into non-con or any other form of PvP, while still allowing the PvP crowd their share of the box of cookies as well. It's not like compromise really needs to be offered - the PvM'ers already more or less have what they want. A land free of PK's.

It's the PvP'ers that are most vocally opposed to any compromise - my way or the highway, anyone that doesn't agree with our opinion are just carebear trammie whiners that ruined the game, blah blah blah...

Funny thing happened on the way to this, and similar threads - the Dev's opened Pandora's box, and it snapped shut and clipped their peepee's off... because they have surely shown NO signs of wading into this mudhole of a discussion they created... wonder why...

G

georgemarvin2001

@Morgana: Actually, the idea that UO was losing subscribers at the time that UO:R (Trammel and Factions) was released isn't true. The fact is that UO was still GAINING subscribers, just not as fast as the new EverQuest.
http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html
Notice that subscriptions had INCREASED from just 100,000 in January of 1999 to 185,000 on the day that UO:R was released. With subscriptions almost doubling in the year prior to UO:R, most companies with any sense would have said that T2A was a great success. Far from the perception that they were "bleeding subscribers" to EQ, they were growing at a phenominal rater before UO:R. And the subscriptions kept rising post-trammel, right up until the press blurb a few days after September 11, 2001. At that time, they had fallen by about 20,000, but the decline in subscriptions had nothing to do with either T2A or UO:R.

UO was NOT bleeding subscribers to EverQuest. EQ did get more subscribers in its first year than UO ever had, but it wasn't at UO's expense. EQ went after the larger kids' market, and UO kept the young adult market. Both companies kept adding more subscribers right up until 9/11/2001, a full year and a half after UO:R was released. At that time, EQ's numbers leveled off, and UO's dropped a little.

The problem with UO was that the AOS Dev team thought that they could increase UO's numbers to equal or surpass EQ's if they just made the game more kid-friendly. Unfortunately, they weren't working with a game that was designed for kids. The result was that they lost a lot of their adult customers while not appealing to the kids who were playing EQ.

@ several people: I was talking about running the "test shards" with normal rules, not the usual test shard setup, where you can alter your stats. The only difference between those shards and regular shards would be that:
1. You could own a house on one of them and keep your house on the production shard. The housing rules would be like they were pre-Trammel, where you manually refresh your house. and
2. The people playing them would understand that, if there wasn't enough player support, they could be wiped at any time.

The truth is that several bugs and just plain inconveniences that people didn't like about T2A had been fixed by publish 15. Like runebooks not being blessed for a few months when they were introduced. Items in packs being scrambled when you were rezzed.

The other thing I was thinking about would be that the Pub 15 variant could have the new lands in it, so there would be more dungeons and housing areas, and the new things that people really like about today's game, such as plants and customized housing.

People have forgotten a few things about T2A: All of the newbied stuff in a red player's pack dropped to his corpse and was freely lootable. And that included rune books, even after they were blessed.

And you could have a friend kill you and collect the reward on your own head, which circumvented the bounty system after they removed the permanent stat loss penalty for being rezzed while red. Before that, players would just stand around in ghost form for days on end waiting for their murder count to get below 5 so they could be rezzed without that stat loss. I don't remember exactly when that was removed, but it was prior to UO:R.

The reason for concrete measures of success would be to eliminate the grief tactics of players who don't want a classic shard that were talked about. It wouldn't matter how much somebody complained about the shard if they had logged into it for the minimum number of hours during the previous 90 day period. If you played the shard, you would be counted in the number of players required to keep it open and turn it into a regular production shard. The only way to do anything detrimental to its success would be to just not play on that shard, so you wouldn't be counted in the number of people needed to keep it open.

And the same goes for having multiple shards. Whether they would be kept open would depend on how many people played them. If people liked a Pub 15/16 with Trammel, it would stay open. If they liked T2A better, it would live. Their fates would all be determined by how popular that they were among the actual players. You would decide which classic shard(s) that would be available by actually logging into them and playing the game.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morgana, go read a few pages of poster comments from each of the four threads linked to in post #202. These are said to be the ones who will return to play on a non-con PvP shard. Do you seriously think there is any chance that the Classic Shard with a fel ruleset wouldn't just be a slaughterhouse?

Please go read a bunch of those posts and come back here and tell me what kind of PK situation there would be on the Classic Shard with those players on it.

The best line from all 3 links...

the community is divided! all 23 of us.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I will take a look at them, but having been there when these same people were active on the shards, I already know what would happen if they just opened a shard with no checks on PKing.

Why do you think I have advocated for harsh repercussions for out of control PKing?

Some people want to act like it never happened, but I was there.

I imagine that there are people that would like to pretend that the Holocaust didn't happen either...but there are people (very few) that were there.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

UO was NOT bleeding subscribers to EverQuest. EQ did get more subscribers in its first year than UO ever had, but it wasn't at UO's expense.
Over 50 members of my guild "left" UO for EQ. I personally knew at least 100 more at the time.

When I say they left, I mean they either canceled their UO accounts and played EQ, or in the case of the majority of those people, they just kept paying their UO accounts to keep them open, but didn't log in anymore.

Its funny, I know of 4 people right now that have been paying for UO for the last 3 or 4 years, but have not logged in once during that time.

UO was something different, because if you canceled your account, you lost your house.

Also, I am skeptical of the numbers I see posted by MMO companies, because they include trial accounts, people that bought the game...signed up...played once...and never played again, multiple accounts, scripter accounts, etc.

The saddest part is, right now, the active UO subscriptions are probably half scripters. :(

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are welcome to your opinions on that subject...but this is NOT the forum for you to express them.

I would greatly appreciate it if a mod would remove these political comments from this thread!!

If you wish to bash the former President, I suggest you take it to the Off Topic forum and stop spreading this garbage here!
I removed the comment - quit taking it personally, and out of context.

H

Heartseeker

Wouldnt work.

For one, all those who oppose classic servers would log on all of their alt accounts to that server and complain they didnt like it.

Two, the test servers wouldnt be accurate because of the fact they let players set their skills to GM in a matter of seconds.

Three, a full fledged server would inspire more confidence as it would be a sign of solid commitment by the devs, not some 3 month guessing game as to where their thoughs are. People wouldnt come back just to test and see. People know what they want, they've been saying it for years.
First, I don't think I saw him suggest that these test shards should behave the exact same as test center.

Secondly, if you are so confident that open, no holds barred, no limits PvP would be so popular, why the aversion to putting it to the test?

Oh, wait, I know...cause that tried that already and we got Trammel as the result.

But you and I agree...nothing from Pub 16 should be included in a Classic Shard, that is for damned sure.
Put it to a test?

Get over yourself.

Try a free Shard instead of telling us like it is.

There is no more need for testing.

Populations of Free Shards are thriving, with pvp rule set.

And another reminder; there are 50 times the number of blues compared to reds, just like in the old days.

You and Canary should get into acting.

H

Heartseeker

#1.) People complained, incessantly, to the devs and GMs. Instead of doing something constructive to balance things out, they just slapped trammel together to shut them up.

#2.) EA/OSI wanted to try and cash in on the new "kid friendly no PvP" mainstream hype raised by EQ.

And that, people, is the truth as to why trammel existed. Whiners, weak developers who caved, and the EQ hype.
Actually, you are half right here. The devs made a mistake with Trammel, but it wasn't people whining that made them do it...

...It was people quitting because reds refused to acknowledge that other people didn't want to participate in PvP.
Wrong.

The game rules changed, and had nothing to do with reds....

H

Heartseeker

It's not a slaughterhouse; don't be a drama queen.

I play on a Classic Shard and hardly run into reds.

There are some, yes, but hardly anything to worry about.

Remember back in t2a you had magic reflection and recall ability from any place, including dungeons.

So easy to avoid.

D

dum3886

Can the people opposed to a classic shard please explain why?

I don't see how anyone loses...
1. Classic shard needs minimal updates.
2. You get TWO games instead of 1. You can play a classic shard on monday and normal uo tuesday etc...
3. The shards if created obviously would not be connected to the current ones so it literally is two games, two worlds... no transfering because that would actually be quite stupid.
4. UO will get new subscribers = EA gets more revenue... and due to the minimal updating they should increase their profits = more updates for the modern UO.
5. No more whining from either side.

So these are my reasons for: why not have a classic shard? doesn't do you any harm.

Just because you don't want to play classic doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Especially if it won't effect you.

E.G @Tanivar your comment:
"Morgana, go read a few pages of poster comments from each of the four threads linked to in post #202. These are said to be the ones who will return to play on a non-con PvP shard. Do you seriously think there is any chance that the Classic Shard with a fel ruleset wouldn't just be a slaughterhouse?"...

why does that even matter... who is forcing you to play it? You have a choice just like anyone else... no one if making you play classic uo.. it is not like that will just scrap SA... SA and a Classic UO server would not be linked at all.

Nushpapa

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
E.G @Tanivar your comment:
"Morgana, go read a few pages of poster comments from each of the four threads linked to in post #202. These are said to be the ones who will return to play on a non-con PvP shard. Do you seriously think there is any chance that the Classic Shard with a fel ruleset wouldn't just be a slaughterhouse?"...

why does that even matter... who is forcing you to play it? You have a choice just like anyone else... no one if making you play classic uo.. it is not like that will just scrap SA... SA and a Classic UO server would not be linked at all.

Nushpapa
Players being endlessly PKed is what made much of the UO playerbase want EA to provide some solution for that problem so they could have fun playing UO. Players were being driven from the game by the PKers. EA had to do a quick fix like Tram or lose a lot of income from their game.

Once the players had a way to avoid the endless PKfest, the PKers left.

Wonder how much whining and moaning and blaming the 'Carebears, etc' those PKers did before they left. They certainly do a lot in these Classic Shard threads.

Go read those linked forum posts and pay attention to what they say. The majority of those posters want to freely kill other players as their main style of play. How many of those posters would come back to UO for more than a month after they got to the Classic Shard and didn't find a crowd of characters to kill? The way those posters talk, they want PK, not PvP, and they'll have only each other to slaughter.

And don't bother repeating it's not like that. I checked out Fel 10 years ago. Pkers in armor killing miners & loggers on sight, then talking as if they were manly studs over the bodies. It's no wonder Fel is so empty.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not a slaughterhouse; don't be a drama queen.

I play on a Classic Shard and hardly run into reds.

There are some, yes, but hardly anything to worry about.

Remember back in t2a you had magic reflection and recall ability from any place, including dungeons.

So easy to avoid.
And this nonsense is why I tend to skim through and scroll past your posts.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Put it to a test?

Get over yourself.

If those populations are on such fun thriving Free Shards, why do they want to come to EA's Shards where they will have to leave the communities they are part of and start paying to play?

And another reminder; there are 50 times the number of blues compared to reds, just like in the old days.
Yeah, and those '50 times the number blues' in the old days had to get EA to give them some way to escape the endless PKing, if they hadn't already closed their accounts due to the endless PKing. And once those '50 times the number blues' had a way to not be endlessly PKed, those '50 times the number blues' took it to the PK-free Tram. Which made the game no fun for the PKers, so the PKers left UO. Roll a Reality Check champ.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any Devs want to comment on this discussion? It's pretty much gotten to an impasse. One side believes a Classic Shard will be ruined by rampant PKing unless it's limited somehow, the other side knows that PKing will not be a problem.

An un-offical comment as to which way the Dev team is leaning would be helpful.

Myself, I'm about to the point of saying give them thier non-con PvP shard, let those posters from those links in post #202 come and check it out. If they stay, EA makes more money, if they leave again, you can toss a tram ruleset on it and give the rest of us a chance with it. We can then see how many of those who left over AOS come back and put money in EA's pocket.

Santa Claus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mythic released a classic shard of DAOC a few months ago.
Does anyone know if it was a success?

I am still not sure a classic server from EA would be a success for EA.
Recoding on serverwith the old rules which then can hold about 6000 players might not be considered worth the effort.

K

Kain_LoD

I have to disagree with you here. Veterans arent simply going to show up, see whats changed then leave. If anything, they are coming back to see if things are truly classic and will stay.

The reason the old vets will stay is because they will have finally gotten what they have been begging for since Trammel. Why would they want to leave that? They have played everything else thats out there and the post AOS UO and dont like it. They arent just going to walk away from the chance to play the UO they've wanted for years.

The vets will return and stay.
I'm one of those begging vets, and I know at least 30 more... we've been waiting for this. When I mentioned it to the people I still speak with, they all said they would resubscribe. On a side note, trammel wasn't nearly as devastating to fel pvp'ers as AoS was. For the most part there was tons of pvp action to be had between wars, order/chaos, and factions up until Pub 16.

K

Kain_LoD

The beauty of a classic shard is being able to beat up a blue occasionally if they ever stepped out of line.

I was never much of a PVPer and definitely never a roaming PK. But when a group of my blue friends and I would be camping a popular spawn sight and another kill-stealing blue player would rudely intrude on our fun, we would have the option to attack that player. Sometimes we would kill him and get rid of him. Sometimes we would be attacked back and be killed instead. Sometimes, we would kill the rude individual only to have him bring back a group of his friends who would chase us away or beat us senseless.

In Trammel all you can do is TALK to other irritating players. With a classic shard you can TAKE ACTION. Yes, you can take action in Felucca, but we all know that there are few players actually hunting in Felucca on a Felucca/Trammel shard. Give us a Felucca-only ruleset classic shard where we can take matters into our own hands.

Keep hope alive.
I love this post. There was a level of interaction that one could engage in that is missed in all the current games. You could "physically" defend yourself, not just have a situation with a lot of banter. These kinds of situations are what made the community...force-able interaction if you will, made this the original massive multiplayer game.

K

Kain_LoD

I think one thing people are not taking into account, is they probably do not have to be as afraid of dieing to pk's as they used to be. Players...overall, are much better at playing these games then they used to be. Meaning, you probably will not die as much as you used to because of your own skill, and the skill of those around you. The general player has evolved and is much more a contender then before. Many of the old pk's resorted to pking because of lack of competition, as many of them were the first wave of more experienced pvp'ers. The people under them were pretty much fodder for awhile.

I do play on a player run shard now(no tram), and there are a good amount of pk's..but there are way more general pvp'ers(war/faction/order/chaos) then pk's. There are area's that people (as pk's) are afraid to go, because situations were they will be runing up against huge odds. One example would be around Delucia town and pond...the Delucia Royal Guard(general populace of players that hang in del) will eventually motivate and come through like a freight train. The waring style pvp'ers hunt for reds as well as oranges.

So, to sum it up, there are a lot more "checks and balances" in place now-a-days in the form of more experienced players.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think one thing people are not taking into account, is they probably do not have to be as afraid of dieing to pk's as they used to be. Players...overall, are much better at playing these games then they used to be. Meaning, you probably will not die as much as you used to because of your own skill, and the skill of those around you. The general player has evolved and is much more a contender then before. Many of the old pk's resorted to pking because of lack of competition, as many of them were the first wave of more experienced pvp'ers. The people under them were pretty much fodder for awhile.

I do play on a player run shard now(no tram), and there are a good amount of pk's..but there are way more general pvp'ers(war/faction/order/chaos) then pk's. There are area's that people (as pk's) are afraid to go, because situations were they will be runing up against huge odds. One example would be around Delucia town and pond...the Delucia Royal Guard(general populace of players that hang in del) will eventually motivate and come through like a freight train. The waring style pvp'ers hunt for reds as well as oranges.

So, to sum it up, there are a lot more "checks and balances" in place now-a-days in the form of more experienced players.
Well put.

I play primarily Crafters and Foragers, The thing is, I don't care for endlessly dealing with PK's. Being charged by a Red, or multiple Reds, gets old fast. Some can't get a grip on the idea that there are players in UO (who haven't been driven to Tram or out of the game) who don't enjoy being hunted by gankers. What's to prevent these gankers from recreating the situation that resulted in Tram being created in the first place? With there being Tram facets, AOS tainted as they are, available on so many shards, why would anyone play a Classic Shard so full of gankers? Read the posts in those links provided in post #202 who are claimed to be examples of the thousands who will rush back to UO to play a Classic Shard. Do you think anyone who is not of that group, or a least a hardcore PvPer is going to bother even trying such a Classic Shard?

I have the impression that the posters on the other side of this debate are picturing a repeat of the pre-Tram UO with player characters to kill and kill and kill and kill being all over the shard, to be ganked, looted, dry looted, rezz-killed, razzed, and gloated over. Read the posts in this thread and especially in the four links in post #202, what other impression can you get? rolleyes:

L

Llamfia

I'm one of those begging vets, and I know at least 30 more... we've been waiting for this. When I mentioned it to the people I still speak with, they all said they would resubscribe. On a side note, trammel wasn't nearly as devastating to fel pvp'ers as AoS was. For the most part there was tons of pvp action to be had between wars, order/chaos, and factions up until Pub 16.
Exactly , everyone I that I talked too said they would resubscribe,(my brother and his friends) which was about ten total

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I removed the comment - quit taking it personally, and out of context.

Thank you for removing that comment. I will edit my posts as well. I think it is key to keeping this thread alive and open not to derail it with discussions of things like politics, religion, or any other off topic diversions.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly , everyone I that I talked too said they would resubscribe,(my brother and his friends) which was about ten total
Same here I have about a Dozen RL friends whom got me into UO in the first place, The very day a Classic shard go's live they are reactivating their accounts. Although I regret telling them being that they have been calling me everyday to check on updates about the shard.

Last night I was thinking of a way to make the Classic shard benefit the trammie/Felucian Playstyles, where we can have one land mass and noncon pvp while allowing safe areas for the tram players and here are some Ideas I have so far.

First off trammel is gone, its is now Britannia.

The lands will be divided into noncon/safe areas think WoW on this.
Most open land will be NoNcon PvP say 70-80%

all anti virtue dungeons will be noncon
all virtue dungeons will be "safe"

All remaining dungeons will be evenly divided between Noncon/safe.

All Cities will be considered safe except Bucs and maybe 1 more.

the mountains will be considered "safe" around Minoc (so miners/mules can gather in safety) but resources will be 1x in safe areas 2x in non safe areas.

Reds can go anywhere but are subject to attack in "safe areas" and only if attacked in a "safe" area can they defend themselves and kill a blue. In non safe areas reds and blues can attack anyone.

If your in Chaos/Order, Factions, Warring guild, Red there is no safe place.

Drawbacks to being RED, Not able to keep blessed/newbie items, Stat/Skill loss upon each death brought on by a player. Not allowed to use NPC's except for bankers in Safe citys. Subject to attack anywhere.

This is just a start but I feel it could turn into something we all can agree on.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Put it to a test?

Get over yourself.

For the record, I don't think comparing free shards to OSI shards is valid. A good deal of people that I know that have tried, or even ran, free shards did so simply because they missed UO, but were not willing to sign back up ... and PAY ... to play on OSI shards. I will grant that a lot of players on those shards do so because the game OSI has on its shards today is not the same game we played back in those days.

But again, you assume that things have to be 100% one way or the other.

Why is there never any middle ground with some people?

You would think by your statements in this thread that I was advocating for a Tram only server!! If you take a look back through the posts, I have made the case for a Fel only shard repeatedly, but with a few simple checks in place to keep it from becoming a gankfest that no one would want to play besides PvPers.

Also, I have seen people on the pro-Tram side change their positions in this thread to admit that a Fel only shard with checks would be acceptable, yet I have not seen one person advocating for 100% open PvP even come close to changing their positions on this matter. Why is that?

Why is it also that those not advocating for 100% open PvP don't seem to resort to abusive language, name calling, and harsh debate tactics?

When you call someone a "carebear", a "whiner", tell them to "get over themselves", call them "drama queens"...do you really believe you are endearing that person to your cause?? Or do you think you are revealing exactly what your true attitude is towards everyone that does not fall into lock step with what your ideal playstyle would be??

You and I have been on the same side of this issue before Heartseeker...I just cannot for the life of me understand how an old school UO player like yourself cannot see the handwriting on the wall.

Any Classic Shard EA launches that is left completely unchecked, as it was back in the old days, will be devoid of anyone besides PvPers. Back in 1997-1998, that wasn't the case...the non-PvPers had no where else to go. Now, they will simply log in, get ganked a half dozen times on their first day, and just go back to their regular shards. I give a shard like that about a month before EA realizes that it was the wrong way to go, and then comes Trammel with a great big "I TOLD YOU ALL SO" from the non-PvP community.

Don't you understand that in order to validate all of the things we have said over the last several years regarding Classic UO that any open PvP shard has to succeed on the first attempt...or we will never, ever, see another one.

So why come into it without an checks on rampant PKing? If what you claim is true, and there will only be a handful of reds, and they will generally spend their time passing out pies and such to be helpful (as if), then what harm would checks cause? If the intent of returning PKs is not to pursue the out of control levels of PKing that once occurred on OSI shards, then what difference does it make if there are limits in place? If what you imagine the past to be like was really the case, and PKing was never a problem in the first place, then again...what difference would it make if limits were put in place to make sure it didn't get out of hand?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

the mountains will be considered "safe" around Minoc (so miners/mules can gather in safety) but resources will be 1x in safe areas 2x in non safe areas.

Reds can go anywhere but are subject to attack in "safe areas" and only if attacked in a "safe" area can they defend themselves and kill a blue. In non safe areas reds and blues can attack anyone.

Drawbacks to being RED, Not able to keep blessed/newbie items, Stat/Skill loss upon each death brought on by a player. Not allowed to use NPC's except for bankers in Safe citys. Subject to attack anywhere.

This is just a start but I feel it could turn into something we all can agree on.
This is closer to what I am hoping we will see, but I am still against "safe areas" other than guardzones. Anything like that will just cause non-PvPers to remain in safe areas only instead of mixing the population.

I think the right way to approach it is to do exactly what they did from the time Noto changed over to Rep...but instead of just having murder counts, you have a limit on the number of murder counts you can have before some sort of punitive action takes place...be that jail time, suspension, perma death, whatever.

There should always be the possibility of being PKed, in my opinion...but the consequences of it should make the PKer carefully weight the reward vs. the risk. That is what the non-PvPer would have to do every time he or she left a guardzone, so why not balance that out?

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well put.

I have the impression that the posters on the other side of this debate are picturing a repeat of the pre-Tram UO with player characters to kill and kill and kill and kill being all over the shard, to be ganked, looted, dry looted, rezz-killed, razzed, and gloated over. Read the posts in this thread and especially in the four links in post #202, what other impression can you get? rolleyes:
That's where you fail, Sure some players will be in it for the PVP, but most will be in it to Play Ultima the way it was meant to be played, even though I spend most my time on EA servers PvP'ing, 90% of my time is doing "trammy stuff" Gathering resources, PvM on the Fel only PRS I play. I dont have to go out and look for PvP it either happens or dont happen, and depending on the character(granted he doesn't have a murder count) I recall to brit as soon as i see a red name.

When they made Tram:
Back then UO was new, PK'ing as we know it was a fairly new concept, and a lot of it was based on RP people got carried away with it while others adapted, the UO player has evolved to a point at least seen on PRS that Ultima Online is not all about PvP on a PvP enabled server. PvMers outnumber the reds easily 5-1. Most of the players I come in contact with are old OSI players, a lot started on launch who know how Ultima is supposed to be played. These players evolved into a playstyle that is not known on EA shards at least not seen since 2k (or pre aos Siege)

BTW: Siege was very populated with many guilds sporting high numbers, player cities everywhere, RP everywhere, And a strong communities. It wasnt until AOS that the shard became a ghost town, and to some extent can be said about the Feluccian playstyle on normal servers pre aos.

So keep in mind there may be a few who want it for the PvP but there are many more of us who want it so they can Play UO the was it was meant to be played with danger and excitement around every corner.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is closer to what I am hoping we will see, but I am still against "safe areas" other than guardzones. Anything like that will just cause non-PvPers to remain in safe areas only instead of mixing the population.
The chance for more high end loot, 2x resources, should bring out most players, Granted there will be some that will stay in safe areas but it would be hell for them to keep up if they dont explore more dangerous areas, like WOW the best gear coms from PvP areas(at least thats how it was a couple years ago)
I think the right way to approach it is to do exactly what they did from the time Noto changed over to Rep...but instead of just having murder counts, you have a limit on the number of murder counts you can have before some sort of punitive action takes place...be that jail time, suspension, perma death, whatever.
I dont see those as working out well, Players should not loose characters for any reason that falls within Game play or the ROC/TOS.

I have suggested this many times and I will say it here again,
The best way to punish a murderer is going back to stat/skill loss to a degree that it makes the character useless in a PvP setting for x-amount of time, much like early UO:R, and factions today.

If your a murderer You will not be able to use all belssed/newbie items if your red, every death, everything drops into the corpse. this includes but not limited to Runebooks, Spellbooks, Clothing,

Will not be able to use NPC's save for 1-2 citys towns,can enter but cannot attack in GZ/Citys unless attacked first, but has only bank access in GZ citys. and not allowed to use the static moongates, player Gates no change.

If your blue with zero murder counts then you will have the ability to recall away if flagged on by a player blue or red. If you are blue and have 1 either short or long term murder then you wont be so lucky.

Most of this code is buried in there somewhere.
There should always be the possibility of being PKed, in my opinion...but the consequences of it should make the PKer carefully weight the reward vs. the risk. That is what the non-PvPer would have to do every time he or she left a guardzone, so why not balance that out?
I agree the danger needs to be there
Please see Above, that plan is to me the best balance we can have its enough to make people think twice before going red, and only the most skilled players will risk playing a red.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The chance for more high end loot, 2x resources, should bring out most players, Granted there will be some that will stay in safe areas but it would be hell for them to keep up if they dont explore more dangerous areas, like WOW the best gear coms from PvP areas(at least thats how it was a couple years ago)
2 things on this:

Back in the pre T2A days of UO, a few people in my guild discovered that the best money to be made in the game was actually crafting, not hunting. I spent probably a month tailoring and bought a tower. Not that I have anything against crafters...quite the opposite...I would love to see them become a much more vital part of the game once again. But the idea that the best loot would come from PvP areas doesn't really work as long as non PvPers can make more gold per hour than a PvPer with no risk. The non-PvPers can then buy what they need, and stay out of PvP areas altogether...that is my big issue with the Tram/Fel setup we have now. Nothing the devs have introduced has actually enticed the non-PvP community to venture into Fel en mass, and I doubt that anything in a true Classic setting would either...especially because the content would be so much less item based.

I dont see those as working out well, Players should not loose characters for any reason that falls within Game play or the ROC/TOS.
Once again...its not a 100% or nothing thing. I suggested Perma death as a last resort option that the devs could add to the shard IF the PKing could not be controlled otherwise. I would not advocate it being included from day 1, I would not advocate it being something that could happen to anyone by accident. And I doubt, if the devs put some other disincentives in place, that it would even be necessary.

The problem is, they tried stat loss, they tried long/short term counts, they tried not allowing reds to use NPCs and towns, they tried the lose all your items thing...none of it worked. In the end, the problem was not corrected by any of those methods...so why would it be now? Something new has to be tried, or there is no point.

I have suggested this many times and I will say it here again,
The best way to punish a murderer is going back to stat/skill loss to a degree that it makes the character useless in a PvP setting for x-amount of time, much like early UO:R, and factions today.

If your a murderer You will not be able to use all belssed/newbie items if your red, every death, everything drops into the corpse. this includes but not limited to Runebooks, Spellbooks, Clothing,

Will not be able to use NPC's save for 1-2 citys towns,can enter but cannot attack in GZ/Citys unless attacked first, but has only bank access in GZ citys. and not allowed to use the static moongates, player Gates no change.

If your blue with zero murder counts then you will have the ability to recall away if flagged on by a player blue or red. If you are blue and have 1 either short or long term murder then you wont be so lucky.
And I have no issues with any of those things.

But what happens if those are not enough...like last time?

Do we just end up with Trammel again a year later? That sort of seems to defeat the entire purpose to me.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 things on this:

Back in the pre T2A days of UO, a few people in my guild discovered that the best money to be made in the game was actually crafting, not hunting. I spent probably a month tailoring and bought a tower. Not that I have anything against crafters...quite the opposite...I would love to see them become a much more vital part of the game once again. But the idea that the best loot would come from PvP areas doesn't really work as long as non PvPers can make more gold per hour than a PvPer with no risk. The non-PvPers can then buy what they need, and stay out of PvP areas altogether...that is my big issue with the Tram/Fel setup we have now. Nothing the devs have introduced has actually enticed the non-PvP community to venture into Fel en mass, and I doubt that anything in a true Classic setting would either...especially because the content would be so much less item based.
But UO has been like that its whole life, The Tram/fel problem lies within the fact the lands are almost exact, on a classic server there is no tram destard vs Fel destard. Why would I kill dragons in fel when I can do it in tram, and if I wanted to kill steal I can do it w/o any repercussions? To be honest we would not know for certain how it would play out, But in a preAOS system Exceptional items were close to Vanq and the only way to get a vanq was to PvM for it or buy from someone who pvmed for it. Sure players who buy everything will get rich if they choose the safe boring route, but the players gathering the materials will get even more rich. while the PvMers get rich selling thier items to the people that dont want the risk, Its a circle of life thing lol.

Once again...its not a 100% or nothing thing. I suggested Perma death as a last resort option that the devs could add to the shard IF the PKing could not be controlled otherwise. I would not advocate it being included from day 1, I would not advocate it being something that could happen to anyone by accident. And I doubt, if the devs put some other disincentives in place, that it would even be necessary.
PK'ing is a viable playstyle as much as PvMing, it should not be easy to maintain but not to the point where players will not try it. Many RP'ers played reds back in the day. Keep in mind a Classic shard will take some time to GM skills, Everything will be replaceable for the most part, and a chance to loose a character and time invested training that character should not be taken away unless it breaks the ROC/TOS. Thats why my suggestion for Murderers are harsh enough to keep a lot of players from PK'ing but not so harsh to where a experienced player could not maintain and have fun doing it.

The problem is, they tried stat loss, they tried long/short term counts, they tried not allowing reds to use NPCs and towns, they tried the lose all your items thing...none of it worked. In the end, the problem was not corrected by any of those methods...so why would it be now? Something new has to be tried, or there is no point.
Problem is they were never all active at one time and on a pre AOS fel only ruleset server save for siege, but that was its own monster, and again all those repercussions were never all on at the same time there either. Being that they did try them, if they put it all together on one ruleset shard it has a high likely hood that it will work, Besides My main purpose is to allow all playstyles to Co exist on a Fel only server, My ideas are not the be all end all, but its a good start and can always have room for adjustment.

And I have no issues with any of those things.

But what happens if those are not enough...like last time?

Do we just end up with Trammel again a year later? That sort of seems to defeat the entire purpose to me.
Like above, we would have all those penalties active all at once for the first time. All together I feel will work, just one at a time then it would be a big failure like it was, and all that is, is simply a starting point, there will always be room for tweaking, and adjustment if needed just not to the point to where they add a trammel, or characters getting deleted.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same here I have about a Dozen RL friends whom got me into UO in the first place, The very day a Classic shard go's live they are reactivating their accounts. Although I regret telling them being that they have been calling me everyday to check on updates about the shard.

Last night I was thinking of a way to make the Classic shard benefit the trammie/Felucian Playstyles, where we can have one land mass and noncon pvp while allowing safe areas for the tram players and here are some Ideas I have so far.

Best set of ideas I've heard from the other side so far. I could see this has very workable though I would like to see a large guard zone around Britain, the Capital city.

How would the idea of having the area around Britian to the mountains to the west & north be safe, the area to the south to the river between Britian & Trinsic be safe, and off to the east to some point in the forest that varies since there is no clear landmark? This would provide a decent amount of mining, logging, and hide hunting area good for new players in what would be an area protected by royal troops.

Morgana and you seem to be two on the other side that are capable of comtemplating ideas that could result in a good compromise between the two sides. It's good to see. My attitude was getting a bit, 'disgusted', shall we say. rolleyes: How about you two coming up with an idea along the lines of your post I've quoted and we can see if Petra would start a thread on it to see who, not from either extreme, comments on it.

I've been the most vocal for the anti-PK side and I'm open to the ideas you two have expressed. I think you two could be the ones to work the magic that results in a Classic Shard that the bulk of both sides can find acceptable. There will be nay-sayers from the extremes at both ends, but thats true for any compromise.

What do you two say?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like above, we would have all those penalties active all at once for the first time. All together I feel will work, just one at a time then it would be a big failure like it was, and all that is, is simply a starting point, there will always be room for tweaking, and adjustment if needed just not to the point to where they add a trammel, or characters getting deleted.
It may be better to be more harsh with PKers from the start to avoid PvMers coming to the Classic Shard, particularly with Crafter template characters, getting PKed several times in a short period of time, and leaving in disgust as they did when Tram had to be created. If the PK situation hasn't drawn a lot of serious complaints, then ease up on the penalties a bit until a happy medium is reached. The goal of forming a Community needs a variety of player types.

The intents expressed in those four links shouldn't be overlooked.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I'd love to see a compromise instead of absolutes.

I have several ideas on how to deal with PKing:

- Expand guardzones where necessary to cut down on PK choke points. One of the biggest issues back in the old days was that PKs would essentially take over certain areas...especially around moongates and the entrances and exits to the towns. As I recall, Moongates were not even originally under guard protection. That was changed within the first few days. Also, you used to not come out of the moongates invisible either. Which when combined with lag, meant you were robbed blind before you even saw your character by thieves.

- Add wandering NPC guards or soldiers. Someone in the thread, or another one, suggested making them unique to each town. I like that idea. Make them aggressive to reds only, and make them tough...like Lich Lord tough. It's cool if they have some loot on them...the reds might actually see the value in PvM that way.

- Include the ideas that Kaleb mentioned...stat loss for reds, newbie/blessed items drop to corpse for reds, reds not allowed in towns besides Buc's Den, NPC won't do business with reds besides in Buc's Den, wandering healers won't rez reds...they have to have a mage do it, or go to the chaos shrine...that's how it used to be.

- I think that murder counts should only 'burn off' if the character is alive. Standing by a moongate as a ghost while you sleep is not a disincentive, its a mild inconvenience.

- Bring back the bounty system, but find a way to make it so that it is not exploitable. How do you do this? ...

...Have an NPC with which players can register as bounty hunters. If you are not registered as a bounty hunter, you cannot collect bounties. To register, you have to agree that if any of the characters on your account goes red, you lose your status as a bounty hunter. If your character heals, cures, buffs a red player, you lose your status as a bounty hunter...and you go grey yourself for a certain period of time. But...bounty hunters play by the same rules as reds...stat loss, newbie items drop to corpse, etc. If you don't want to run with the dogs, stay on the porch. Also bounty hunters are freely attackable by reds, and they do not get murder counts for killing bounty hunters.

- Bring back Order/Chaos. With Order/Chaos...the opposite is freely attackable OUTSIDE guardzones...and none of the above conditions apply. But, an Order/Chaos member that goes red can no longer participate in Order/Chaos. Also, non Order/Chaos players cannot heal or cure or buff Order/Chaos players.

- *IF* these things don't keep PKing from causing lack of retention on the shard, then look into harsher options.

Personally, I think the above would be enough. If not, add jail time for PKs that die with x number of murder counts or more. That character would not be playable for a certain length of time based on the number of counts.

If that didn't do it, add in the "One goes Red, they all go Red" clause...meaning that every character on the account goes red if one does.

And finally, if none of that works, put in perma death for reds over a certain number of counts.

Those are my ideas on how to curtail, but not eliminate PKing. I think it would be enough without the harsher options mentioned near the bottom...but I would rather see the harsher options than Trammel or a PvP Switch.

L

Llamfia

Reds can go anywhere but are subject to attack in "safe areas" and only if attacked in a "safe" area can they defend themselves and kill a blue. In non safe areas reds and blues can attack anyone.[
Does this mean you want reds running through towns without guards being able to be called? I think that is a no-no, but maybe I misunderstood

L

Llamfia

Players being endlessly PKed is what made much of the UO playerbase want EA to provide some solution for that problem so they could have fun playing UO. Players were being driven from the game by the PKers. EA had to do a quick fix like Tram or lose a lot of income from their game.

Once the players had a way to avoid the endless PKfest, the PKers left.

Wonder how much whining and moaning and blaming the 'Carebears, etc' those PKers did before they left. They certainly do a lot in these Classic Shard threads.

Go read those linked forum posts and pay attention to what they say. The majority of those posters want to freely kill other players as their main style of play. How many of those posters would come back to UO for more than a month after they got to the Classic Shard and didn't find a crowd of characters to kill? The way those posters talk, they want PK, not PvP, and they'll have only each other to slaughter.

And don't bother repeating it's not like that. I checked out Fel 10 years ago. Pkers in armor killing miners & loggers on sight, then talking as if they were manly studs over the bodies. It's no wonder Fel is so empty.
Pking is every part of the game as PvPing or staying Blue, its the miners or axers job to get alot of money, but at what cost? They could die getting rich sometimes, they shouldnt have a free pass at getting rich, you need checks and balances on the server.

E

Evlar

I think since my last visit, the general sensible (by which I mean non-bickering, non-insult trading) consensus, is clearly that AOS was the key factor that spoiled the game in many of our opinions.

For my own part, I embraced all aspects of the game as was. PvP, PvM, crafting, roleplay (which I actually enjoyed back then), adventuring, community interaction...

My main reasons for leaning towards a Felucca-only ruleset, was simply based upon my recollection of my own immersion in the game at that time, along with the larger community interaction I enjoyed.

I have in some of my previous posts, defended certain aspects of PvP (combat and theives), to a certain degree. Perhaps this was based upon my own "non-grief" approach to playing the game. Frankly, I didn't see the point in knowingly spoiling someone else's enjoyment of the game. After all, that's why we play games is it not? Escapeism, to immerse ourselves in a fantasy setting, to find enjoyment in something that's not perhaps available in our real lives.

The game I enjoyed and felt most "immersed" in, was pre-AOS. PvP was indeed a part of the game I participated in, though only if there was a point to it (roleplay, guild wars, genuine 1v1 challenges/duels, etc...), it was still just a part of my game, no more than a quarter of my overall activity.

I think the biggest single challenge, other than to roll back to a pre-AOS age, is simply how to retain a workable element of PvP, which keeps everyone happy. This seems to be the single biggest cause for dispute in this thread.

Let me give you some insight into what I like(ed)/enjoy(ed) about PvP.

Before I moved fully to Europa, I thoroughly enjoyed factions PvP on Great Lakes. Unfortunately, my ping on GL was poor, which meant I died a lot, but I adapted by creating a character that wasn't essentially reliant on speed, but stealth. I used this character to scout for the rest of the team. Although this perhaps isn't what some would call "true" PvP, I enjoyed it simply because it was a group effort to capture town sigils and a group effort to defend them. Essentially, my "fun" when it comes to PvP, lies in PvP with a point to it. Not items, nor kudos, simply a reason to participate, just like a group PvM encounter against a "tough" monster or spawn. This of course was in more recent times.

I've simply never seen the point to large groups of players ganking one or two players, unless those one or two are willing participants. I've never seen the point of "hanging out" at Yew gate, just to wallop the first person that comes through the gate. Simply put, I've never seen the point of PvP, without a point!

If PvP in a "classic" shard can be implemented for a reason other than it being a cause of grief for those who aren't particularly into it, then I'm all ears to good suggestions.

For what it's worth, I had a red character for a while. Some players misunderstood at the time, that because I had a red, "murderer", PK.... that I must have been one of the "bad" griefer types. Far from it. For me, turning a character red was fulfilling a "role". One in which was an "evil" alter-ego if you will. I only participated in PvP with my red, against willing participants. On many occasions, other players would wonder why there was a red player near to them, that wasn't immediately whacking at them. Usually my response would be that if they wanted me to attack them and instigate a battle, then I would be happy to oblige. If they didn't, that was fine too, they or I could walk away. Sadly, reading through not only this thread, but some of those externally linked in an earlier post, that maybe I was in a minority in my play-style.

I even recall at one point, being part of a "red" Highwayman's guild. We would role-play holding people to ransom on a stretch of road. Passers-by could pay our "levy" and we would let them pass. To be fair, it was something daft like 100gp or some regs, nothing "serious". Some people would respond negatively to our "demands" and complain or bicker (took it far too personally in other words), we would simply let them on their way, rather than have any hassle. Some would be happy to pay our pitiful toll, pleased that they had managed to meet these unusual role-players they'd heard about. Others, would seek to hunt us down and bring us to "justice". It was all a game. Unfortunately, some of the newer recruits to the guild didn't share our "ideals" or "style" of play and began to sully our reputation by griefing and harassing other players needlessly. It's at this point I decided that things were heading in the wrong direction, whereupon I left the guild. Sadly, some idiots had spoiled what previously been simply some fun and gamesmanship.

If that's clearly the case though, that people can't be held to account for their actions, that rampant and unabated non-con PK'ing were to rise it's head again in a "classic" shard, then I agree with those who have already suggested as such... it wouldn't last very long. It would spoil the game for those who aren't into PvP, it would also spoil it for those that are, but are for a point or a reason. I didn't experience the negative side of it perhaps as much as others have, though I have seen enough of it over the years to understand completely where you're coming from.

Mindful of that, for any "classic" shard to be successful, given the diversity of players, it's got to have some form of consent-only PvP. Hopefully that in itself, would keep the idiots, griefers, "rotten apples", away from the shard, letting the rest of us simply enjoy the game.

Even if a shard was created, where there was no PvP, either permanently or until they could work out a proper, working system, to manage it properly, I would still be there in a shot. It's the pre-AOS, skills over items era, that I want a return to, more than anything else.

As for the free servers, I've played on them too. I played on one for over three years, though it only had a small population, it had a great community. Everybody played the game for fun and if there was ever anyone who came along to grief or cause problems, *poof* they were gone. The players policed the shard themselves for the most part. There was always a GM around, there were "senior" trusted players around, and they would react swiftly, when the community called.

Although you can't make direct comparisons to the "free" servers ("free" versus "paid" for being one aspect, certainly when it comes to subscriptions), when debating this subject, we can't deny that some of them, do have very good aspects to them that would be worthy of consideration in an "official classic" server.

Well, another wall of text rolleyes:

Back to you now ;)

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best set of ideas I've heard from the other side so far. I could see this has very workable though I would like to see a large guard zone around Britain, the Capital city.
Same GZ we have would do for now now, but add maybe going along the road to the pass in the west but stops at the moongate. NE section would remain as it is.
How would the idea of having the area around Britian to the mountains to the west & north be safe, the area to the south to the river between Britian & Trinsic be safe, and off to the east to some point in the forest that varies since there is no clear landmark? This would provide a decent amount of mining, logging, and hide hunting area good for new players in what would be an area protected by royal troops.
Thats why I suggested Minoc, and the area around, the lore of minoc plays a small part. The penalties for Murdering if used all together would make it to where NoNcon PvP remains viable but not so soft as to cause the rampent PK'ing we had in the past. Although the chance will be there to get PK'ed it would be far less likely it will happen a lot, remember only the most skilled and patient players will be PK's. but under what I proposed if killed can be takein out of a fight for a good amount of time. Keep in mind I play a Pretty hard core "classic" fel only server where PK's don't have limitations. A lot of what I came up with are ideas based around what would make that shard even more fun than it is now. If penalties are severe enough for Murder, making a lot of trammel type areas would be pointless, Thats where the real challenge comes in. As for new players, Haven island would be considered safe but resources would have to be cut thin, you can gather there but the yield would have to be far far less than in a dangerous area, and nothing over say copper or bronze can be mined in safe areas.
Morgana and you seem to be two on the other side that are capable of comtemplating ideas that could result in a good compromise between the two sides. It's good to see. My attitude was getting a bit, 'disgusted', shall we say. rolleyes: How about you two coming up with an idea along the lines of your post I've quoted and we can see if Petra would start a thread on it to see who, not from either extreme, comments on it.
To be truthful I want this classic shard to go forward, Personally I would take a wild west old school approach, but Im also willing to help come up with ideas to make it a shard every playstyle can play and enjoy but unlike what they did back in 2000, If we all can put our heads together and make this work w/o playstyle knocking then we may come up with a better plan than what was forced on us in 2000. Most of us vets have an added decade of knowledge than what we had when they launched uo:R and with that we can find a better approach.

Everyone who posts on stratics are passionate about their UO and tend to get carried away with their love for the game, I do not enjoy the Trammie(Playstyle Term not to be taken offense of, and not to be confused by PvMer) Playstyle, and always been against the shards and playstyles being combined like they are today w/ launch of UO:R, But always supported the need for a trammel server(s) it was needed for some, it was not needed for some. And for this "classic" shard to work we all need to agree on some lines where every playstyle can coexist but keeping in the spirit of Ultima Online.

I've been the most vocal for the anti-PK side and I'm open to the ideas you two have expressed. I think you two could be the ones to work the magic that results in a Classic Shard that the bulk of both sides can find acceptable. There will be nay-sayers from the extremes at both ends, but thats true for any compromise.

What do you two say?
I never liked the PK playstyle since I started playing in 97-98, but I do enjoy the Felucian playstyle and PvP, And that I understand though I dont like it, that playing a PK is a viable playstyle just as much as crafting, factioning, or PvMing.

Side note:
A classic shard should not be based on a time table in the history of UO, If that were the case 90% of the players would not agree on anything. A classic shard should have the gameplay and feel that it had pre AOS, that is the cake, Any additions made to it be it lands, rules, Items (that are not outside reasonable thought that would not unbalance Combat or the game in any way) is just the frosting, but first as a community we have to agree on a core system and move from there.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does this mean you want reds running through towns without guards being able to be called? I think that is a no-no, but maybe I misunderstood
Sure why not? If they cant attack anyone w/o being G-wacked, why limit them to the boarders? the only time they would be able to fight is if they were attacked in the GZ. The only reasons they would be in town would be to

A: Use the bank
B: In a battle, Faction, been attacked
c: Buying items from other players, though chances are if they stepped foot in town a dozen or more blues will attack them anyway.

There are many ways we can penalize a player for being a Murderer, but that doesn't mean we should throw in ways to make them social misfits. Yes, Playing a PK should be hard, but not so easy to where were flooded with PK's. Even to this day and age of UO i feel reds should be able to travel anywhere, but cannot attack anyone outside fel, but outside fell they could be attacked, and fight back if the situation arises. Same as I feel Factions should be able to fight anywhere in any land of todays UO.

L

Llamfia

Sure why not? If they cant attack anyone w/o being G-wacked, why limit them to the boarders? the only time they would be able to fight is if they were attacked in the GZ. The only reasons they would be in town would be to

A: Use the bank
B: In a battle, Faction, been attacked
c: Buying items from other players, though chances are if they stepped foot in town a dozen or more blues will attack them anyway.

There are many ways we can penalize a player for being a Murderer, but that doesn't mean we should throw in ways to make them social misfits. Yes, Playing a PK should be hard, but not so easy to where were flooded with PK's. Even to this day and age of UO i feel reds should be able to travel anywhere, but cannot attack anyone outside fel, but outside fell they could be attacked, and fight back if the situation arises. Same as I feel Factions should be able to fight anywhere in any land of todays UO.
I just don't like that idea of Reds in town for a couple of reasons.

-A very large group of Reds can come into town and no one will do anything.
-The Reds would act/look like noobs, baiting other players to attack them, then just destroy the blue
-They would lure the blue out into the wild where more reds are
-The Blues would have no protection from guards if they attacked the Reds first

Bucs den has a bank and the Reds can hang out there

A

Argoas

IMO there is a problem that players should deal first. It's meanless to restrict social contact with reds if players using reds can take other blues character to trade. The majority of restrictions that you mention are connected to this fact.

I agree that being red should be funny in exchange to risk, but this risk shouldnt be avoidable. Things like statloss or things about loot mentioned before should be the kind of difficulty that reds should deal with.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just don't like that idea of Reds in town for a couple of reasons.

-A very large group of Reds can come into town and no one will do anything.
Yah, but if they attack anyone, Players and NPC's can call guards on them
-The Reds would act/look like noobs, baiting other players to attack them, then just destroy the blue
Lesson learned? besides With penalties added only Vets for the most part will be PK's.
-They would lure the blue out into the wild where more reds are
Why follow a red if you do not want to be PK'ed? again lesson learned?

-The Blues would have no protection from guards if they attacked the Reds first
Dont attack the red unless you know you will kill him/her

Bucs den has a bank and the Reds can hang out there
But recognizing that being a PK is a viable playstyle they shouldn't be limited to one place, With proper penalties in place, not everyone will be a successful PK, and makes everything about what we know now of PK's a moot point. Remember I proposed that reds cannot use static moongates, they would have to travel by land, boat,recall, or a player made gate. Statloss and skill loss for x-amount of time when killed, and not being able to keep blessed newbie items when they die. It is a good measure to make sure that the PK playstyle will remain viable, but not so easy where the server is flooded with PK's. Not to mention I even came up with a way Blue murderers would get penalized, and that was with the idea that if you have zero murder counts if attacked by a player you can simply recall away, If your blue with at least 1 short or 1 long term count then your unable to recall away when attacked.

L

Llamfia

Yah, but if they attack anyone, Players and NPC's can call guards on them

Lesson learned? besides With penalties added only Vets for the most part will be PK's.

Why follow a red if you do not want to be PK'ed? again lesson learned?

Dont attack the red unless you know you will kill him/her

But recognizing that being a PK is a viable playstyle they shouldn't be limited to one place, With proper penalties in place, not everyone will be a successful PK, and makes everything about what we know now of PK's a moot point. Remember I proposed that reds cannot use static moongates, they would have to travel by land, boat,recall, or a player made gate. Statloss and skill loss for x-amount of time when killed, and not being able to keep blessed newbie items when they die. It is a good measure to make sure that the PK playstyle will remain viable, but not so easy where the server is flooded with PK's. Not to mention I even came up with a way Blue murderers would get penalized, and that was with the idea that if you have zero murder counts if attacked by a player you can simply recall away, If your blue with at least 1 short or 1 long term count then your unable to recall away when attacked.

I can agree with some at the stuff you mentioned, pretty interesting stuff, but lets get with reality, first UO and EA have to announce if and when this server will come up.

But reds in town to me will always just be "ugly", its just not UO to me, and this feature was introduced after t2a, which is the time period that most people want. I know what your saying, but this feature just doesn't bode well with trying to get our "old-precious" uo back

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pking is every part of the game as PvPing or staying Blue, its the miners or axers job to get alot of money, but at what cost? They could die getting rich sometimes, they shouldnt have a free pass at getting rich, you need checks and balances on the server.
Sometimes isn't a really a problem. However it wasn't sometimes back then was it?

It was bad enough EA had to create Tram to stop the exodus of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.