• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Heartseeker

Despite all this talk about a classic shard.... im just wondering what r the chances it is gonna be made.

How did this topic even come up after so many yrs of ppl bugging for a shard... and no dev has commented on this either... it is just a dream.. or is this actually possible.

I'll start my account again as soon as i know a classic shard opens... but after wat 800 posts... no post from a dev... what is actually going on?

I came upon this after seeing it on MMORPG.com.. or sumthing forgot... but yeah just would like to know a bit more background info on how this came to be lol
I think it was a ploy from Cal.

Just bringing it up has started many threads on this.

There is a buzz about it on other sites too.

Nothing more than a dangled carrot most likely.

Unless things have really changed at EA, this stuff has happened before;eg fixing the cheating in game.

It makes perfect business sense, but leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I

ILoveUOIn98

Re: Classic shard: Narrowing the gaps

I have not come to Stratics in almost a decade... I'd pay for a classic shard. Why OSI (EA now?) shuns our money, I'll never know.

U

Unsatisfied

Despite all this talk about a classic shard.... im just wondering what r the chances it is gonna be made.

How did this topic even come up after so many yrs of ppl bugging for a shard... and no dev has commented on this either... it is just a dream.. or is this actually possible.

I'll start my account again as soon as i know a classic shard opens... but after wat 800 posts... no post from a dev... what is actually going on?

I came upon this after seeing it on MMORPG.com.. or sumthing forgot... but yeah just would like to know a bit more background info on how this came to be lol
the topic started because on the UO page the devs update or whatever stated that they had a lunch and there was talk of opening a classic shard and they would sit down and work out if they were to go ahead with it in the future.... Its the first time they have actually admitted they are thinking about it, not just randoms sparking interest. Thats why the topic started.

Santa Claus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Devs havent bothered with a classic server idea because they were hell bent on trying to copy WoW to try and cash in on the fad. Whether you or anyone else wants to admit it, the truth is, EA/Mythic wants to be Blizzard and get their several billion a year from one game and skate on easy street.

Now that hopefully the illusions of WoWism have worn off and this development team sees whats wrong and will finally realize what the players have been asking for over the years.
Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia recently came away from a meeting with EA and reported that although "earnings are somewhat depressed due to ongoing expenses of the Star Wars MMO, management has high hopes for this and believes 2M+ subs is possible." He added that a little over 1 million subscribers is needed to reach the break-even point, but the ultimate goal is to get several million subscribers.

So EA still tries and has visions - not sure in what category UO will fall though...

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

If youre going to have a classic server set in the Second Age, then the Lost Lands are a must because they were one of the main features of the Second Age.

Also, the Lost Lands didnt "divide the community", like trammel or any of the other landmasses did. The Lost Lands were more like a big dungeon for players to explore. But the main bulk of the population remained in Britannia. Thats were all the trade was, thats where the guilds were, thats were most of the adventure was.

A lot of people enjoyed the Lost Lands back in The Second Age. They were fun and didnt add any massively game changing elements. It game players more to enjoy, without ruining anything about the game.
Just a couple of points:

1 - I never said that the Lost Lands should never be a part of a Classic Shard. Just not at first. They were not part of the game at launch...and I would rather they were added about a year later...just like in the Classic Era.

2- I also did not mean to suggest that the Lost Lands 'divided' the population. More like, diffused the population. If you have only the original dungeons and cities, etc. then the chances of seeing other players is higher if the population is light. The original land mass was quite large and there were places you could go where you would not see many people, but not very many. Once T2A launched, those places became more numerous because the population spread out. Once Ilshenar came, the same thing happend, then Malas...and so on and so on. Now, you can go pretty much anywhere in the original landmass and see no one at all...all the time.

And I agree...I loved the Lost Lands. I spent a great deal of my time playing there back in the days. I still go there just to look around. I thought it was a great addition to UO...but I wish it had been an actual landmass that was added to the existing map, rather than some place you had to get to through entrances/teleporters. Being able to sail there (with no teleporters) would have been the coolest!

P

popeto

LOL i love how everyone gets so excited
OH EA MENTIONED A CLASSIC SERVER ONCE IN A THREAD!!!

ea will not put up a classic server

i know you all have your hopes up, and i wish it were true.

but once you wait another 6-8 months and then some dev comes on and says 'there will be no classic server' i unfortunately wont be there to say i told you so.

have a good one guys and keep on squeezing a rock to make water

U

Unsatisfied

but once you wait another 6-8 months and then some dev comes on and says 'there will be no classic server' i unfortunately wont be there to say i told you so.

cya, thanks for stopping by.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If I disagreed 100% with everything that anyone has said in this thread, I'd still offer them my backing, for what that's worth, over any crap you may post - at least they are trying. If it turns out Cal and the gang is yanking everybody's chain, then so be it.

But at least he opened the door, and at least they are taking the opportunity being offered - an open thread on Stratics, which never has happened before on this topic, and are actually fairly close to reaching a consensus on what they want to provide as a united front. And, just as importantly, there have been fewer negatives posted, as a whole, than you have posted yourself.

So do yourself, and the rest of us, a favor, and follow through on your disappearing act promise.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I can't say I blame pepto or anyone else for being jaded. The devs essentially destroyed the game we loved, and then wizzed on the corpse with AoS. Since then, any complaints about the direction the game was taken in have essentially been ignored.

But it is good that the devs are at least aware that there are those of us that are unhappy. And I think it is a very positive step that both sides of Tram/Fel issue (at least a few of us) have managed to come together and discuss alternatives in a civil manner. Sure, we all have this or that we would like to see, but its good to get the input of players, then come to a consensus. And most importantly, its awesome that the mods and admins here have allowed this thread to remain open and active.

If pepto doesn't think there will be a classic shard, it is not up to us to convince him otherwise. If it does happen, hopefully he will be there playing with us. If it doesn't...then I guess we won't get that chance.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't say I blame pepto or anyone else for being jaded.
But there's a difference, Morgana - we are ALL jaded in one form or another. It may not be about the same thing, although we pretty much ALL agree that AoS killed things for pretty much any point of view except Diablo fanatics...

Regardless of the fact that we disagree as to the why, we DO agree on what we want as an end result, and have been at least 95% constructive in our dialogue. What popeto has done is come in, offer NOTHING of significance, and because he's mad that HIS rose bushes died, he's gone and tried to urinate all over everyone else's.

And as I must point out, yet again, things are significantly different this time around.

There's NEVER been a dev team since Renaissance that even *implied* that a unified, classic server was even possible, let alone suggest that it was a topic of discussion amongst the entire team, or that they had the logistics basically worked out.

There's NEVER been a thread on Stratics that went beyond 8 posts on the topic before it was locked and lost in the ether... We are now at 8 (edit ) *9* pages...

Being jaded is fine - we all are, in one form or another. But being jaded and negative is 100% counterproductive to all the effort being made here, by the jaded and somewhat hopeful...

We may not agree with each other on the why's or how's. We may not even like each other a whole lot. But at least we are, in some small way, working towards the same goal. Show me what he offered? Beyond the fact that *nobody that has worked 4 years on their chars on free shards are going to bother coming back*...

L

Longest Journey

Ugh, seriously, go away.

L

Longest Journey

Just a couple of points:

1 - I never said that the Lost Lands should never be a part of a Classic Shard. Just not at first. They were not part of the game at launch...and I would rather they were added about a year later...just like in the Classic Era.
The game at launch had a lot of problems. The lag was a nightmare, people were placing houses on top of water, and there were a lot of bugs.

The Second Age was a god sent for UO. If they are going to start the classic server in The Second Age, then it should include everything that came with it. Actually, for me, its hard to imagine UO without the lost lands.

2- I also did not mean to suggest that the Lost Lands 'divided' the population. More like, diffused the population. If you have only the original dungeons and cities, etc. then the chances of seeing other players is higher if the population is light. The original land mass was quite large and there were places you could go where you would not see many people, but not very many. Once T2A launched, those places became more numerous because the population spread out. Once Ilshenar came, the same thing happend, then Malas...and so on and so on. Now, you can go pretty much anywhere in the original landmass and see no one at all...all the time.
Well, the reason you dont see anyone NOW is because there is practically no one playing the game at all. What few there remain are crammed into luna bank spamming selling artifacts and who knows what other garbage.

Second, even with The second age and the lost lands, there was hardly any population diffusion at all. Everyone didnt just pile into the lost lands, people went there, explored, then came back to Britannia. People were all over the place in those days.

Thirdly, Ilsh was never really that populated, not until they allowed people to access it with the 2d client. Even then, it saw about as much of an influx of people as the Lost Lands did, which compared to the bulk of people in Trammel, was negligeble at best. Malas happened after AOS. Malas cant really be blamed for thinning out the population, that was all AOS and the craptacular game changes that killed UO.

Its not the land masses that shrinks the population, its lousy gameplay.

And I agree...I loved the Lost Lands. I spent a great deal of my time playing there back in the days. I still go there just to look around. I thought it was a great addition to UO...but I wish it had been an actual landmass that was added to the existing map, rather than some place you had to get to through entrances/teleporters. Being able to sail there (with no teleporters) would have been the coolest!
having to teleport to the Lost Lands was probably done for programing and server reasons. the ways to the lost lands seemed pretty reasonable, for a fantasy game. The only thing I miss was those portals and dungeons being the only way to get to the lost lands. I remember when they first came out, players could not recall between the Lost lands and britannia. I also remember that, for a while, you couldnt bring any pets back from the Lost Lands either. Ostards and nightmares were restricted to the LL, until they lifed that rule.

So, they should start it off with the Lost Lands because a lot of people remember them, and it will only be a short time before people start asking for them, then eventually demanding them.

Besides, do you really want to wait a year before you can tame a nightmare?

E

Evlar

You know, the more I read through the thread, the more I would like to see some comment from one of the devs.

As per other threads they've popped into on the boards, they don't have to make a statement we could hold them too, but they could add to the discussion. They could add their input from a developer's perspective as to how feasible some of the topics and subjects we've raised are.

Mark_Mythic (Shade) has participated well in the Heroes vs Villains in UO thread. Although people will agree or disagree with what he's said, there's clearly no doubt, he seems passionate about what he does and ideas that he has regarding different aspects of MMO's.

With that in mind, since the carrot has been dangled by Cal and we've heard nothing since, it would be good to hear the thoughts and opinions (without needing to commit to anything in particular) from the devs, if not as "developers", at least as "fellow adventurers" in the world of UO :)

D

dum3886

I just had a few friends at my house last night... and i woke up... saw one of the, playing a free uo 2nd age server lol.. brought back so many memories... i really hope for EA that they do open a classic shard up bcz after seeing that... if they don't open one i am definately joining a free shard.

T

tenduil

You know, the more I read through the thread, the more I would like to see some comment from one of the devs.

With that in mind, since the carrot has been dangled by Cal and we've heard nothing since, it would be good to hear the thoughts and opinions (without needing to commit to anything in particular) from the devs, if not as "developers", at least as "fellow adventurers" in the world of UO :)
Full circle.

w/o comments from the dev's its just all hot air. I'm all for it and will assist an effort to get this going but right now were all just talking.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The game at launch had a lot of problems. The lag was a nightmare, people were placing houses on top of water, and there were a lot of bugs.

The Second Age was a god sent for UO. If they are going to start the classic server in The Second Age, then it should include everything that came with it. Actually, for me, its hard to imagine UO without the lost lands.
I guess I am not being very clear...or maybe you are being deliberately obtuse...either way, I was not suggesting that a Classic Shard start without all the bug fixes and such that T2A brough...just not including the landmass in the beginning. Don't try to confuse the two things in an effort to make your point seem more valid. Even in the T2A days, there were numerous bugs and issues that have been dealt with since. Those bug fixes should be included as well...so what we are discussing here is not really an exact copy of T2A anyway.

Its not the land masses that shrinks the population, its lousy gameplay.
It's both. At least on Atlantic, I can go to any of the 'new' areas where the "best" items are dropping, and I see players. I can go to Despise for example...and all I see are scripters...if anyone. It was the combined addition of uber items, and the new land areas that you have to go to in order to get them. Why would anyone want to go into the Lost Lands or the old dungeons now? Beyond nostalgia...you don't get anything worthwhile there.

having to teleport to the Lost Lands was probably done for programing and server reasons. the ways to the lost lands seemed pretty reasonable, for a fantasy game. The only thing I miss was those portals and dungeons being the only way to get to the lost lands. I remember when they first came out, players could not recall between the Lost lands and britannia. I also remember that, for a while, you couldnt bring any pets back from the Lost Lands either. Ostards and nightmares were restricted to the LL, until they lifed that rule.
Wrong.

The reason the entrances and pet restrictions were setup the way they were was because EA/OSI did not want people that had not PAID for the expansion accessing the content. Remember...T2A was not like some of the other expansions...you could not go to the Lost Lands if you had not paid for the expansion.

So, they should start it off with the Lost Lands because a lot of people remember them, and it will only be a short time before people start asking for them, then eventually demanding them.
People will eventually ask for or demand lots of things. But as I said before, I think the Lost Lands should eventually be added. Don't get me wrong though, if they launched the shard, and it included the Lost Lands, I would not complain or refuse to play on it.

Besides, do you really want to wait a year before you can tame a nightmare?
Okay...you got me with that argument! :)

L

Llamfia

Re: Classic shard: Narrowing the gaps

I think its clear what everyone wants

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's both. At least on Atlantic, I can go to any of the 'new' areas where the "best" items are dropping, and I see players. I can go to Despise for example...and all I see are scripters...if anyone. It was the combined addition of uber items, and the new land areas that you have to go to in order to get them. Why would anyone want to go into the Lost Lands or the old dungeons now? Beyond nostalgia...you don't get anything worthwhile there.
That kinda contradicts the whole idea of not having any of the new dungeons in a T2A setting, In essence Vanq/INV is the best how many places under T2A were there to get those pieces? Having newer dungeons and getting the same gear but maybe a tougher challenge would hardly separate the population. Under AOS to get certain items means doing peerless/ SA bosses/doom is a must to keep up With the game the way it is now. With the old item system it would be more diverse some would camp blood ele's in shame or some doing ancient liches in Khal,T-hunter doing lvl 5 maps, Or if SA were in a group doing Slasher, a group doing a peerless boss all would be looking for the same loot but different challenges.

On a shard I play I will leave nameless, They have Champspawns(only @ the lost land locations and are static) They do not give powerscrolls and nobody can solo one. They take a long time to complete and the bosses are a real group effort, when its done it drops its gold like normal, but the loot is the same as say a ancient wyrm.

I understand the need to be cautious and build depending on population, but IMHO it would be a hit and many will play, so it would be wise to open more content, if the server is a hit at launch skimmed down to what was available in 1999 and people had to wait on/compete with dozens to be able to fight the same spawns people will get fed up and leave, the devs would be stuck adding in content after launch requiring resources from other servers, and depending on what projects are going on could take months to years to get implemented into the shard thus people will leave.

Say they took current UO, Adjusted/reverted it to Pre-AOS, Revert Skills/Items/Combat, No trammel, no insurance, No artifacts, No powerscrolls, no runics, No slayer weapons save for silver, No neon, Pre-private housing rules, Penalties for murder like I described throughout this thread (and most recent the hero's/villains thread). It would still be considered Classic UO being it is what UO would have evolved to w/o tram, pub-16, and Age of Shadows changes, I feel if it were not for those key changes this topic would hardly be an issue today.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

That kinda contradicts the whole idea of not having any of the new dungeons in a T2A setting, In essence Vanq/INV is the best how many places under T2A were there to get those pieces?
I had Vanqs before T2A...so you could get them off of pretty much any creature that dropped loot back then. There were no specific areas that certain items were dropped. That came later...with Ilshenar...and then got completely out of control with AoS.

As to the new dungeons and areas...I would probably not bother with any classic shard that contained Malas, Tokuno, Heartwood, or SA at launch. Having that much landmass would essentially assure that you would never see other players...and I can get that on any of the 26 existing shards. Why not just play on Siege if that is what you are looking for?

R

Rancid Wolf

I'm not 100% on this because it has been many years. But didn't Vaq's and such high end items like Invuln armor drop at random mostly off mobs like Lich Lords, Balrons, Dragons..ect?

I always thought the weaker the mob the more likley you were to get Power, Force and Ruin weapons back then? Maybe I'm mistaken though, it has been 7+ years since I've PvM'd in UO and i'd weapons ;p

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had Vanqs before T2A...so you could get them off of pretty much any creature that dropped loot back then. There were no specific areas that certain items were dropped. That came later...with Ilshenar...and then got completely out of control with AoS.

As to the new dungeons and areas...I would probably not bother with any classic shard that contained Malas, Tokuno, Heartwood, or SA at launch. Having that much landmass would essentially assure that you would never see other players...and I can get that on any of the 26 existing shards. Why not just play on Siege if that is what you are looking for?
Really you couldn't compare the 26 standard shards to a shard with the T2A ruleset, todays UO is too item dependent and in areas where the better items drop are always the hotspots, thats where everyone is people are not spread out today they are at the same spawns in the ever evolving arms race, it wouldnt be like that if it were under a t2a ruleset, people would take on the tougher spawns more so for the challenge than the items.

As for Siege? I played up to AOS, prior to AOS it was closest you would get to "classic" it had a booming population and for a short time Ilsh., the addition of the land did not weaken the population. pub-16 then AOS came siege died.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I'm not 100% on this because it has been many years. But didn't Vaq's and such high end items like Invuln armor drop at random mostly off mobs like Lich Lords, Balrons, Dragons..ect?

I always thought the weaker the mob the more likley you were to get Power, Force and Ruin weapons back then? Maybe I'm mistaken though, it has been 7+ years since I've PvM'd in UO and i'd weapons ;p
As I recall, the way loot worked back then, at least whether you got ruin, power, vanq, etc. was a percentage chance. I don't think it mattered the creature. Of course, this was before they were called "mobs" too...

E

Evlar

The thing is, I do remember having some silver or vanquishing weapons, but to be honest, when other people saw them and then offered me a silly amount of gold, I always sold them.

I was always happy enough with my GM made stuff anyway :)

T

tenduil

What couldn't hurt is to have more unregistered people come and register to vote in the poll and post up.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

They were always called "mobs", that term predates UO.
Can you please point out the origin...because I was under the impression this term originated in EverQuest, where they had mobile creatures, and others that remained in a fixed area...hence the term "mob".

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, glad to be of service, despite you not wanting to support my suggestion and as such cost UO/Mythic 2 accounts for the rest of UOs lifetime.

But I still :heart: you.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Well, glad to be of service, despite you not wanting to support my suggestion and as such cost UO/Mythic 2 accounts for the rest of UOs lifetime.

But I still :heart: you.
Yeah...I am not getting into that here.

But...there is a lot of love in this thread...

:grouphug:

U

Unsatisfied

come on Easter present... release some word on classic shard possibility.

L

Longest Journey

I had Vanqs before T2A...so you could get them off of pretty much any creature that dropped loot back then.
There were no specific areas that certain items were dropped. That came later...with Ilshenar...and then got completely out of control with AoS.
Ummm.....not every monster that dropped loot could drop a vanq or invul magic item. As a matter of fact, Vanq/invul were very hard to come by. The drop rates for those items were very low, even on Lord (ie lich lord, ogre lord, orc lord) type monsters and dragons. Dungeon chests rarely every provided them too. The best way to get vanq/invul was by fishing or treasure hunting.

Agreed.

L

Longest Journey

I guess I am not being very clear...or maybe you are being deliberately obtuse...either way, I was not suggesting that a Classic Shard start without all the bug fixes and such that T2A brough...just not including the landmass in the beginning. Don't try to confuse the two things in an effort to make your point seem more valid. Even in the T2A days, there were numerous bugs and issues that have been dealt with since. Those bug fixes should be included as well...so what we are discussing here is not really an exact copy of T2A anyway.
You werent being very clear. Thank you for the clarification.

Your examples point squarely to gameplay, AOS gameplay to be specific. See, the reason those new dungeons with the peerless bosses and such are so heavily populated is because players NEED to be in those dungeons getting artifacts so they can "keep up with the Joneses" so to speak.

Depise is run by scripters because there is no one there to kill them. The monsters arent a challenge anymore thanks to the overpowering of artifacts, so those bot characters are all but invicible.

Now, if the Lost Lands of today offered some sort of hyper uber OP artis, you'd see more people there. But, because of the simply fact there are none, the item slaves have no reason to go there.

Wrong.

The reason the entrances and pet restrictions were setup the way they were was because EA/OSI did not want people that had not PAID for the expansion accessing the content. Remember...T2A was not like some of the other expansions...you could not go to the Lost Lands if you had not paid for the expansion.
Either way, the dungeons and portals were interesting ways to get to the lost lands. If you think about it, the UO Lost lands is similar to the Lost Lands in Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle's Lost World. It was a plateau that could only be reached through a series of maze like caves, or by hot air balloon. Now, since hot air baloons have no place in UO (neither does a cyborg Lord Blackthorn, McFarlane you half-wit!), teleporters are a reasonable replacement, given the fantasy setting.

People will eventually ask for or demand lots of things. But as I said before, I think the Lost Lands should eventually be added. Don't get me wrong though, if they launched the shard, and it included the Lost Lands, I would not complain or refuse to play on it.
No one would complain. As a matter of fact, having the Lost Lands would be expected because they have been a part of UO for so long.

Okay...you got me with that argument! :)
Exactly. Nightmares came with The Second Age, deep in the heart of the Terrathian Keep.

Ah, I still remember seeing my fight Nightmare. A really evil, really powerful black horse that kicked my butt and gave the rest of my group a run for their money. Yeah, at the end, we killed it and I got rezed. Some tamer came in and yelled at us for killing the mare. We gave him the power long sword and the 2 summon demon scrolls the mare dropped and called it even then continued on our way.

L

Longest Journey

Yes, youre right, only high monsters had a chance to drop Vanq and Invul magic weapons and armor.

Most of the standard issue monsters had a chance to drop ruin, force or, rarely, power. More often than not, they just dropped regular weapons, gold, regs or low circle spell scrolls. The Weaker the monster, the less chance of anything magical dropping from them.

The other source of Vanqs and Invuls was through fishing, treasure hunting, or picking locked chests in the higher levels of dungeons. They made such professions so very worth the danger and difficulty.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, youre right, only high monsters had a chance to drop Vanq and Invul magic weapons and armor.

Most of the standard issue monsters had a chance to drop ruin, force or, rarely, power. More often than not, they just dropped regular weapons, gold, regs or low circle spell scrolls. The Weaker the monster, the less chance of anything magical dropping from them.

The other source of Vanqs and Invuls was through fishing, treasure hunting, or picking locked chests in the higher levels of dungeons. They made such professions so very worth the danger and difficulty.

dead on! when is the last time you even cared about picking that chest in a dungeon? probably pre-AOS. It made all of those things worth it, but now in order to entice people they have to make silly puzzle board chests, drop brightly colored objects in MIBs and give out the ancient ones just so the professions don't die off, and people keep opening chests. silly rather

I understand I worded that horribly... but you get my idea ;)

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a small list of basic mods, This was taken shortly after runics were introduced, Ignore the runic mods. Maybe this could help set up AR and weapon damage. Sorry in the transition of cpus i managed to loose the Leather/bone armors, and itemized weapon damage.

Armor Mods.

Weapon Mods.

U

Unsatisfied

Good tables there, I never saw them... Pretty much all what I worked it out to be but never saw anything official like this.

Z

_Zen

I will finally quit I think, I've been holding on for 7 years now waiting. All I ever did was PvP, haven't done that since 2003, would be nice to finally be able to fight skill vs skill again
Well I quit playing the EA shards because I missed old school UO so much that I started playing the free servers. And most of them are complete garbage. They're like methadone to a heroin addict, they help you cope, but it just isn't the euphoric cloud nine like the real thing. I know of like ten people off the top of my head that will gladly fork out the 15$ a month to come back and play.

L

Longest Journey

Here is a small list of basic mods, This was taken shortly after runics were introduced, Ignore the runic mods. Maybe this could help set up AR and weapon damage. Sorry in the transition of cpus i managed to loose the Leather/bone armors, and itemized weapon damage.

Armor Mods.

Weapon Mods.
The problem with these charts, they came AFTER pub 16. It was during this time that each ore had different armor values, with Iron begin the weakest and Valorite being the strongest.

This is not how things were in T2A.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im not going to play a just straight T2A shard, even more so what they had back on 98-99 been there done that, you all lost my support being closed minded and all, So I can care less if it makes it or not. the number values they had for different ores never changed with runics, all runics did was give the smith the ability to make Magic weapons that added exceptional +3 to damage output. The list best represents Weapon damage, and AR and considering no one posted anything other...........

T

Trebr Drab

The problem with these charts, they came AFTER pub 16. It was during this time that each ore had different armor values, with Iron begin the weakest and Valorite being the strongest.

This is not how things were in T2A.
I hated the colored ores for the new added power levels, because I knew more was on the way. I thought they'd add more and more bits at a time, never dreamed they'd go so far with AoS in one fell swoop.

Roleplay groups often had rules to not wear the colored gear because it made things so unbalanced compared to those who didn't have it. AoS then blew a hole in the multiverse that sucked everything in.

D

dum3886

MMm i like the idea of ores having different properties but then it sortta makes me think... people will just use valorite items only etc in the end... :S... even if its a chance i.e: valorite has a 10% chance of making a power items.. people will just mine valorite and more valorite and it wil become the UO we have today (item based)... we dun want these super powerful items being so easily accessable.

If you have a vanquishing weapon and u pvp with u... u should take the risk of losing such a good weapon... if every valorite weapon was vanquishing no one would care if they lost it anymore... risk v reward is gone.

I actually wrote 2 paragraphs saying wat a good idea it was... but after a while i realized ore and properties don't mix... it is what created AOS in the first place.. it was the start of all the changes.

T

Trebr Drab

MMm i like the idea of ores having different properties but then it sortta makes me think... people will just use valorite items only etc in the end... :S... even if its a chance i.e: valorite has a 10% chance of making a power items.. people will just mine valorite and more valorite and it wil become the UO we have today (item based)... we dun want these super powerful items being so easily accessable.

If you have a vanquishing weapon and u pvp with u... u should take the risk of losing such a good weapon... if every valorite weapon was vanquishing no one would care if they lost it anymore... risk v reward is gone.

I actually wrote 2 paragraphs saying wat a good idea it was... but after a while i realized ore and properties don't mix... it is what created AOS in the first place.. it was the start of all the changes.
Exactly.
It becomes a never ending spiral of ever upwards power gains. That leaves everybody but the powergamers with the most time behind in the dust. Exactly the problem we have today. It's also the same problem that other games have with their level grinds and level 60 to 70 to 80. Even WoW is trying to come up with ways to add something different as new content. It's an unsustainable system in the long term.

I've always wanted to see UO concentrate on better systems to make events and EM's jobs easier to implement. New ways to easily spawn things and control them, new AI to drop and leave, anything related to adding happenings instead of items. Had they done that instead, they'd still have all those players who left because of AoS, and they'd be able to crank out events and new content quickly.

D

dum3886

Also... as for a straight T2A shard... i don't expect the UO classic shard to stay still in time forever but it is a good starting place for a beginning. Let it run for a yr maybe then start adding in new features... there have been some good changes and i wouldn't mind them being implemented... i just don't want an item based game. You can bring in bushido watever you want... the parry system for bushido would be fine... i'm sure they would have to work out a system for how to fit it all in but i would be find if they add new skills in. There is no reason the bushido parry system etc... wouldn't work without the new items etc...Just no arties, nothing that will create an unfair advantage and will split the community up. Look at peerless.. the so called monsters that can't be soloed... within a month people figured out how to solo them.. it ridiculous...

In the end if they make a classic shard they should just listen to the people and change what people want... BUT stick to their core ideals... if the classic shard is meant to be a non-item based shard/skill based shard, make the best changes they can make which satify people without killing the original core of the game.

And now look at the UOHALL people r crying that they want holidays a day before or after... why? because they want the EM items which will what? GIVE THEM AN ADVANTAGE IN PVP... or they r collecters (boring :p)... but i am sure the PVPers go so they can get the new item which will give them an extra MR2 or extra DCI or extra HP w/o taking another armour slot... Remember Lt Sash, +10hp robes etc.. the list goes on

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Im not going to play a just straight T2A shard, even more so what they had back on 98-99 been there done that, you all lost my support being closed minded and all, So I can care less if it makes it or not.
Okay...so what is it exactly that you want? Trammel? AoS? Artifacts? Expansions? Insurance? Custom Housing? Neon Items?

I am unclear as to what you think anyone is being "closed minded" about.

The idea of a Classic shard is that it should be based on a Classic era ruleset...not the current one.

If you like the current game, there are 26 shards up and running almost 24/7 for you to choose from. Enjoy!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Oh, and I forgot to mention, at almost any time on well over half of those 26 shards, you can pretty much have the place all to yourself :)

T

tenduil

Also... as for a straight T2A shard... i don't expect the UO classic shard to stay still in time forever but it is a good starting place for a beginning. Let it run for a yr maybe then start adding in new features... there have been some good changes and i wouldn't mind them being implemented... i just don't want an item based game. You can bring in bushido watever you want... the parry system for bushido would be fine... i'm sure they would have to work out a system for how to fit it all in but i would be find if they add new skills in. There is no reason the bushido parry system etc... wouldn't work without the new items etc...Just no arties, nothing that will create an unfair advantage and will split the community up. Look at peerless.. the so called monsters that can't be soloed... within a month people figured out how to solo them.. it ridiculous...

In the end if they make a classic shard they should just listen to the people and change what people want... BUT stick to their core ideals... if the classic shard is meant to be a non-item based shard/skill based shard, make the best changes they can make which satify people without killing the original core of the game.

And now look at the UOHALL people r crying that they want holidays a day before or after... why? because they want the EM items which will what? GIVE THEM AN ADVANTAGE IN PVP... or they r collecters (boring :p)... but i am sure the PVPers go so they can get the new item which will give them an extra MR2 or extra DCI or extra HP w/o taking another armour slot... Remember Lt Sash, +10hp robes etc.. the list goes on
Slippery slope. The people that are looking for this and that would return don't want changes and don't want the new features. You can not cater to everybody... thats how trammel came about. Classic T2A shard up to a certain publish. Done. Tons would return.

L

Longest Journey

I hated the colored ores for the new added power levels, because I knew more was on the way. I thought they'd add more and more bits at a time, never dreamed they'd go so far with AoS in one fell swoop.

Roleplay groups often had rules to not wear the colored gear because it made things so unbalanced compared to those who didn't have it. AoS then blew a hole in the multiverse that sucked everything in.
Seriously. When they added in the different AR ratings for the different ores, it threw everything out of balance. Valorite became "must have" instead of just being for visual appeal and having to serious impact.

I remember loging out with 55 AR with an Iron suit of armor, then logging on after pub 16 and having it cut down to 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.