• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Champion Spawns Additions

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You must be playing a different Ultima Online than rest of us Gheed if you think people stop fighting monsters once they get their "set".

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That means soloing non fel spawns possibly 10 times or 10 x the number of other folks that are there just to get a single consumable drop. In fel the spawns will be much more difficult. It is exciting yes... folks are going to dig it. I know I am going to enjoy it.... until I have collected them all.
The Felucca spawns are a lot easier. In Ils the spawn goes way too slow and there are paragons. The one in Tokuno is very hard PvM wise.

If you spend 30 minutes on a Fel spawn and end up getting raided, you might still get a chance at one of the items and instead of watching the raiders kill the champ you can go start another spawn and be almost done with it by the time they even realize what is going on. And all the while you'll still get a chance at that item from the previous spawn because you'll be on the Dungeon sub-server.

If you join the mob in Ils/Tok you will be spending hours there and probably never get anything. Find 2-3 other people and go bang out a Fel spawn.

Remember, there are I believe 17 altars in Felucca, the spawns are easier for the most part, and on most shards the PvP scene is near-dead.

Also, if you think it will be so boring in Ils/Tok why not try PvP'ing? That is the whole purpose of it in my opinion.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Felucca spawns are a lot easier. In Ils the spawn goes way too slow and there are paragons. The one in Tokuno is very hard PvM wise.

If you spend 30 minutes on a Fel spawn and end up getting raided, you might still get a chance at one of the items and instead of watching the raiders kill the champ you can go start another spawn and be almost done with it by the time they even realize what is going on. And all the while you'll still get a chance at that item from the previous spawn because you'll be on the Dungeon sub-server.

If you join the mob in Ils/Tok you will be spending hours there and probably never get anything. Find 2-3 other people and go bang out a Fel spawn.

Remember, there are I believe 17 altars in Felucca, the spawns are easier for the most part, and on most shards the PvP scene is near-dead.

Also, if you think it will be so boring in Ils/Tok why not try PvP'ing? That is the whole purpose of it in my opinion.
I wasn't really trying to stress the difference between PvP and Tram champ spawns. Just make a point how silly the non-PoF rule is. I haven't done any fel spawns since the whole thing was introduced.

For a long time now PvP has been a tickle in the back of my mind. I haven't PvP'd since pre-tram. Merchant was my passion and only recently have I lost interest since the devs decided mining, bags of sending and now apparently PoF is to blame for the economy.... totally blowing off heartwood quests, community collections, scripting and duping. So maybe it's time for a change.

Anyone know what the good PvP guilds are on cats? Looking for a group that doesn't grief as a rule. Would prefer a group that promotes PvP for the sake of PvPing.

*edit* if you reply with PvP guild info please do it in a PM. Let's not derail the thread anymore than I already have*

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Felucca Despise champion spawn can be done from the very start to champion dead in 10 minutes with a good group of people. I think our guild has a record in the 7:30 range. If we went all out it could probably be brought under 5 minutes. You can solo a Barracoon spawn in ~30 minutes depending on the location.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Felucca Despise champion spawn can be done from the very start to champion dead in 10 minutes with a good group of people. I think our guild has a record in the 7:30 range. If we went all out it could probably be brought under 5 minutes. You can solo a Barracoon spawn in ~30 minutes depending on the location.
is this possible even now that the HP has been boosted? I used to be able to solo a barracoon but now the necro/peacer cannot kill him fast at all. it's obvious you need some kind of char using slayer weap/enemy of one etc...

5 minutes, I would like to see that. when can I observe this?

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You must be playing a different Ultima Online than rest of us Gheed if you think people stop fighting monsters once they get their "set".
Haha ya I don't horde suit items that much. My archer still wears a cursed ring of the vile I got from a Grimm Reaper spawn. And that was what... three years ago? I have mastered dying well on that template.

Back to the champ spawn additions. I want the devs to know that I really do like the system. I am very grateful for the consideration and love it when the devs take the time to make old systems more enjoyable. And I will enjoy doing them. But I probably wont be using the items for anything other than deco.

E

Evilminion

One thing I'm really liking about this thread -- and, by extension, about the promised update -- is the constant mention of guilds and groups. :D For so long, the focus of the player community seems to have been on "look, I can solo *insert peerless name here*", and for those of us who'd like to battle in a group on a low-population shard, it's been rather lonely. Heh.

I've still only done a handful of peerless fights, and never a whole champion spawn, simply due to lack of comrades. So now I'm getting excited again. :love:

X

Xel Naga

I love how this game is being dumbed down every publish.

Now you get scrolls to 120 without any real hassle and just buy it all in luna.

GREAT.

So for those of us who actually worked skills up for months and years, thanks for the slap in our faces. Looks like my soulstones with every skill done won't be so impressive anymore thanks to uo making the game easier yet again for stupid players who can't take any hardship to get something worth while.

S

Sarphus

I could see vermin spawn being done in 5 minutes by a good group. You need the right people with the right templates, though. I think it would take 6-8 people to do it in 5 minutes.

The vermin spawn is really easy. It's possible to AoE 1 hit kill all 4 tiers of the spawn. IMO, that should be fixed by making the spawn monsters have more hp :)

D

Divster

You can still display them safe in the knowledge that you did work them all up the hardway. Or if its that important to you for others to bask in the glow of your own achievements, put a book next door to them proclaiming your superior commitment to the game :) frankly after nearly 10 years of training the same skills over and over for new chars this is ( for me) a refreshing change.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*thumbs up on the changes and the Harrower giving a chance at all items*

I have most skills already capped on one shard or another. At first, I was like "Oh no" thinking of how I worked them for long hours. Then I got to thinking how a certain program would allow anyone to work them up unattended and frankly I don't have a problem with it anymore. It gives folks a legit way to raise skills quicker and I'm all for that. So thumbs up from this player on the idea. I'm remember when being a GM tamer used to really be a status symbol (back when Lord/Lady was too). Those days have long since gone and if I was a new player I'd rather be able to play and enjoy the game than train skills methodically.

One hesitation before I fully commit support... So the Ilsh/Tokuno spawns will allow players access to all the items excluding powerscrolls right? I know the point values on the SoT are only .5 to Fel's 1.0 cap, but "Trammel" folks will be able to get all the deco/replica items right?

H

Harb

Outstanding work Devs. Now, drop skill powerscrolls completely, leaving character development purely to it's owner, and everything will make complete sense. Again, good work here - thanks.

T

Tazar

I love how this game is being dumbed down every publish.

Now you get scrolls to 120 without any real hassle and just buy it all in luna.

GREAT.

So for those of us who actually worked skills up for months and years, thanks for the slap in our faces. Looks like my soulstones with every skill done won't be so impressive anymore thanks to uo making the game easier yet again for stupid players who can't take any hardship to get something worth while.
I tend to disagree... and yes... I have all 31 skills that go to 120 stored on soul-stones... and I also have all 55 skills locked at 100. I certainly understand the time and investment in this skill system.

Because of this, we have a unique ability to change templates instantly, and now, anyone using the new SoT will get their template done faster. The difference is that once they are done training, they are done and it will take a lot of effort to totally change templates with lots of expense for SoT scrolls to make it happen fast. Those with a soulstone library will still be able to instantly (relatively) adapt as needed.

The flexibility of changing the template immediately is why I created my soulstone library... so that I could stop training skills forever (or until new skils come out). I do not see that anything in PUb 57 will change this.

E

eccentricjules

Would that actually work? Wouldn't you have to leave the sub-server to get to the next spawn? Or does that not matter?

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Felucca Despise champion spawn can be done from the very start to champion dead in 10 minutes with a good group of people. I think our guild has a record in the 7:30 range. If we went all out it could probably be brought under 5 minutes.
Not something to be proud of when you stated you have 100+ guild members.

We can 2 man it in under 12 minutes, 4 man in under 7.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the SoT's are a good idea, but the only thing i dont like about it is the tokuno/ilsh spawn dropping these. Yes they took a step forward with the high intensities in fel but why would a 'tram' player bother goto fel and risk getting pk'd when they can goto ilsh or tok and get the SoT's with much risk at all, yes they will need more to get the skill to the desired level, but i know 90% of tram will choose the easier way out.

D

Dirty Mindz

So one thing i think should def be done is, the SoT's should be harder to obtain on the lower level spawn, otherwise its going to be like the 10th anny arties were, everyones gonna farm the first 2 levels of a spawn then leave.

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel that the replicas and rares should have some sort of temporary no bless/ no insure timer on the item once the item is attained. I assume the scrolls of Tranq will be cursed but these are little things that can make thiefs and the overall action better in fel. Instead of making changes in other areas of the game to make thiefs usefull little things like this can make them not so useless. I mean powerscrolls are stealabe, the scrolls of tranq i assume will be as well.. why not atleast temporarly for the items?

T

tassloff

If one gets ONE SoT scroll per Champ spawn
Sorry to argue on that matter, your math looks fine to me, but I am not so sure about that "ONE SoT scroll per Champ". Where did you get that idea from ?

Regine says :
The SoTs are totally independent of the boss. Whenever you work the spawn you get a chance at receiving a 105 or a SoT scroll.
So to me it seems you can work the same spawn for hours without killing the boss and getting your SoTs. Well, I don't know exactly how we will get that scroll, will it be like the 10th Anniversary Items or the Gauntlet ?

PS: Sorry, that's my first post, I should have introduce myself. So Hi I am Tassloff and I am please to meet you guys ;) After wasting so much time watching that board, finally decided to register ;)

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Outstanding work Devs. Now, drop skill powerscrolls completely, leaving character development purely to it's owner, and everything will make complete sense. Again, good work here - thanks.
QFT

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think everyone needs a big fat chill pill...... HELLO PEOPLE!!!!! IT'S A GAME!!! GET A LIFE AND QUIT WHINING. OMG ....

Price of this price of that WTFCares..... ???? I mean really. If you base your "fun" in UO off of having the most expensive items then boo who cry me a river..... NO ONE ELSE CARES.

If you base your whole fun off of having some l33t item or holding a shard prisoner because only certain people can collect certain items the wha wha quit and get a life....

I am so sick of hearing negative whining about every stinking proposal in this game.....

I'm sorry but I for one think this sounds GREAT! I can't wait to start doing champs more....... Tram/Fel whereever....... but new stuff might actually make it fun again..... Certainly would help the boredom factor.....

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the SoT's are a good idea, but the only thing i dont like about it is the tokuno/ilsh spawn dropping these. Yes they took a step forward with the high intensities in fel but why would a 'tram' player bother goto fel and risk getting pk'd when they can goto ilsh or tok and get the SoT's with much risk at all, yes they will need more to get the skill to the desired level, but i know 90% of tram will choose the easier way out.
So what you are saying is you want easy kills? What part of people who don't want to pvp aren't going to do it anyway don't you understand. Powerscrolls have been in the game how long? Why do you think bard scrolls sell for 5-8 mil? Because PvPers are just dying to deck out their bards? You see trammies over in fel all the time getting them don't ya?

How about this....when this publish goes in and the people who pvp already and those who are bored pvming and want some excitment come over you enjoy it for a few months like everyone and quit crying because you can't kill a bunch of pvm chars? Try killing people who are there to fight instead of begging for sheep.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So one thing i think should def be done is, the SoT's should be harder to obtain on the lower level spawn, otherwise its going to be like the 10th anny arties were, everyones gonna farm the first 2 levels of a spawn then leave.
Don't play this game much do you? Most people already have trained characters. The real prize in this publish is going to be the replicas. I guarantee you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that what you think will happen will not.

That being said, the higher the fame of the creature should give better chances to get them. Otherwise AoE characters will get the most scrolls. God help us if whoever adds this system to the game doesn't take AoE geared characters into effect when determining the points of contribution for this. Not that I would be suprised mind you but I'm sure that there will be a legion of wither spamming necros at every spawn on day one this pub goes live.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can you still kill barracoon in 90 seconds today?

also you said 5 minutes for the whole thing, not 9. you sound like Hank Paulson.
That video was just to show people how fast a spawn can be completed and give perspective as to how many spawns might be done per day. It wasn't an attempt to break any record. I said we can probably do it in 5 minutes if we tried really hard. Yes we can kill Barracoon in 90 seconds, easy.

A

Arch Magus

Not that I would be suprised mind you but I'm sure that there will be a legion of wither spamming necros at every spawn on day one this pub goes live.
Yes. And I will be there.

If i'm not withering myself, I will be mounted and chasing their ass with my Explosions of Imminent Death. :scholar:

Yes, I love my Necro Mage. :flame:

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That video was just to show people how fast a spawn can be completed and give perspective as to how many spawns might be done per day. It wasn't an attempt to break any record. I said we can probably do it in 5 minutes if we tried really hard. Yes we can kill Barracoon in 90 seconds, easy.
I highly doubt you could do it in under 5 minutes, even with 30 people, due to the fact that you have to wait for the rats to spawn after wiping them.

A

Arch Magus

Which brings to mind an old saying,

Everytime you Vas Ort Flam-Kal Vas Flam kill a wraith-former, an angel gets it's wings. :scholar:

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I highly doubt you could do it in under 5 minutes, even with 30 people, due to the fact that you have to wait for the rats to spawn after wiping them.
The champion spawn system maintains a minimum amount of spawn at all times. If you cover the entire spawn area and kill monsters rapidly, you will see them spawn at an insane rate.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The champion spawn system maintains a minimum amount of spawn at all times. If you cover the entire spawn area and kill monsters rapidly, you will see them spawn at an insane rate.
I disagree, it's impossible to do despise in 5 minutes. No matter how many people you have there. Spawn rates do not allow it.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Five minutes is pushing it. The fastest I have ever done a rat spawn is just over 15 minutes - granted it was not with a giant guild. Around 35 minutes while solo.

T

Turdnugget

I don't see anything wrong with SoT's spawning in Ilsh/Tram spawns. Remember in Ilsh you do have to work with Paragons every so often. The scrolls I imagine will drop as often as 105's, i'm not sure the drop rate but when I spawn I usually don't get a whole lot and neither do the people i'm with. Now take into account that in Ilsh/Tram ruleset the SoT's are worth anywhere from .1 to .5 ...And take into account how many skills there are that you could use these for. I find it a little hard to imagine someone decking out their toon uber fast in any one skill with that kind of drop rate of SoT's and the amount of skill it would take to get to the desired skill. I see these scrolls being used more to finish off a character once they've worked the skill up respectively.

Could you imagine how much it would cost to take a tamer from 50 taming to say 85 taming? Even with the 1 skill point scrolls given in Fel, which i'm not sure how often those will spawn. Not to mention your odds of getting the desired skill scroll SoT you want.

I just hope these replicas are stealable and don't come instantly blessed.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I guess we'll just have to do the impossible.
I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible to do a rat spawn in 5 minutes or under.

However, it would be difficult and pretty unlikely.

You'd need a lot of people, strategically placed, literally mowing down spawn as it appears.

So I guess if you had 20+ people, strategically placed, it'd be mathematically possible. Especially at, say, City of the Dead, where the monsters seem to spawn in defined, bounded areas.

-Galen's player

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't you say Meraktus (Labyrinth) wouldn't have this addition, because there's no altar? Or am I remembering wrongly?

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't you say Meraktus (Labyrinth) wouldn't have this addition, because there's no altar? Or am I remembering wrongly?
As I understood it Meraktus spawn would not drop the new scrolls but would drop replicas.

This makes me wonder if this particular spawn doesn't hold by the rules of contribution however. I could speculate this spawn functions as a boss only situation where working the spawn gets you no bonus. One would hope that is not true. Silence on the issue will tell us.

QFT means Quoted For Truth

E

Evilminion

The answer is that we won't, and that's a GOOD thing. If I wanted to be PKed, I'd go to Fel. Since I bloody well don't want to be PKed, yay for goodies being available in Ilsh.

If that means you don't get a chance to whack me and take my stuff, well, waahhhhh. Seems to me that if I'm going to fight a whole spawn, I deserve to take whatever prize I win home instead of losing it to some lazy bugger who pops in at the last minute.

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I understood it Meraktus spawn would not drop the new scrolls but would drop replicas.

This makes me wonder if this particular spawn doesn't hold by the rules of contribution however. I could speculate this spawn functions as a boss only situation where working the spawn gets you no bonus.
Correct. The Labyrinth uses a completely different system. The altar is actually the one tracking who contributes to leveling the spawn. So for the time being, anyone who gets looting rights on Meraktus has an equal chance at the rewards.

I intend to do a thorough revision in the future on the way this specific spawn works. But I'm not going to give any ETA on that. One thing for sure is it won't be in Pub 57.