• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cards of Semidar

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do I have anything to worry about in the future with my server cards on Great Lakes? Is anything dropping exactly like mine here?

http://i62.***********/2zsr4ty.jpg

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Do I have anything to worry about in the future with my server cards on Great Lakes? Is anything dropping exactly like mine here?

http://i62.***********/2zsr4ty.jpg
They seem to have fixed the issue, and converted the accidentally dropped cards into what they were supposed to be (mastery books). So you should be OK

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd like to mention to those saying that only a tiny portion of UO players are interested in rares collecting, that this is a factual list of the three most active forums on all of Stratics based on how many new threads and posts I see weekly, and I check just about every forum on the website.

#1 Uhall
#2 Rares Collector
#3 Traders Hall
Well, in all fairness, UHall is UHall and Traders Hall is mostly armor and jewelry posts, not rares.
Plus the fact that #2 and 3 is used by the players to move goods (and many posts are just bumps anyway) where as the RP and PvM folks for example doesn´t have to post on a forum everytime they RP or kill a Miasma.
So I wouldn´t say that a certain part of a forum is a good indicator for how active a certain class or whatever is. After all, the Siege forum is more active than the Atlantic forum...

Just saying.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
waits for next rares festival to pick up some common cheap but neat graphic cards....;)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm not a rares collector by any means, but have started to pick a few things up. But let me say this:
I fully appreciate that such a large part of the subscription base comes from the rares and trading community. However, there are thousands of different "rare" items. Whether they be "server birth" or EM event drops, or what have you... there are a HUGE amount of these supposed rare items. If some cards dropped that look like a server birth item, honestly, what's the BFD? It's not like every rare item ever started dropping on mongbats. If anything, an item like cards is something that could get a newer player maybe a little more interested in rares collecting and trading themselves.

I know this is Uhall where people love to debate (yours truly especially ;) ) but I think this entire thread is far over-blown. But then again... maybe I'm just ignorant of how the importance of this battle here.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Merlin

i agree with you that the loss of 1 rare item isnt the end of the world. Rares collectors started out collecting server births back in the day because thats really all there was to collect. Now theres tons. that being said, i think the main issue here is we are dealing with a set of collectables that already is the least "safe" when it comes to holding value, and desireability.

Im the first one to say that graphics shouldnt be "held hostage" just to preserve the rarity of serverbirths. @Promathia we can see that even great memorabilia designed to be rare, like the 15th anniversary robe is never safe from the same graphic being used in a common, spawning drop. everyone who owns serverbirths (and other rares) knows items that are identical in graphic (or very similar for deco purposes), but different in name have been added to the game many many times and isnt somthing uncommon.

So we have a situation where this particular set of collectables is already "unsafe" in terms of even just "similar" items (for the sake of deco) being released. this is a known.

add to that "accident" items like the ceramic mug, exploits (like the skull mug, various bottles / flasks, etc) and situations like the cards, and well, it just adds to loss of faith in ALL server births.

So, what im saying is that serverbirths are already known to be risky, and it would probably be good practice by the devs to keep preventable slip-ups to a minimum so as not to add even more assertion that well known fact.

I think the devs did the right thing here, even tho it also wouldnt be the end of the world if they were left in if it couldnt be prevented. Im all for more deco items being added to the game, but given the scenario think those items should always have a differnent name or color.

"Cards of Semidar" would have been a perfect way to release these cards as an intended drop.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Unless you delete them retroactively, which would probably delete all items using that art, they should just be left in as a "surprise."

Just fixing the "bug" guarantees a payday for those who are now actively farming them.

This is coming from someone who has a full set of playing cards, btw.
I am a few cards short of a full deck... So I have been told.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Big fan of these! I would love it if they expanded the cards from four to a large number, with different rarities. Man cooks would be a awesome then!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
So ya think unwrapped chocolates might have a market? Does everyone have a cook?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have cooking for blackrock stew, but end up buying it. Now I'll have more reason to dust it off. Please give us more cards, love this idea!!!!!

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So - Cards of Semidar look like: View attachment 39155 and when double clicked give something like:

View attachment 39156
This one is Nystul the Wizard. Only one I've gotten upto yet.
A bit of trivia: like the Vice vs Virtue banners, the Nystul card is a retouched version of a piece of artwork from the defunct Ultima Forever game. Nystul in particular is based on a generic NPC portrait .

The Jou'nar card posted here also resembles the Ultima Forever art style, though I can't find the original source right now - maybe a heavily edited Iolo?

It's nice to see that at least the nice artwork from that game isn't going to waste, and that Broadsword is making some effort to adapt it to UO instead of just shoving it in the game.

Last edited:

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Followed a link from the cooking page and found:
Cards of Semidar | Ultima Online
The portraits of Shamino and Dupre confirm that the art is taken from Ultima Forever.

Other interesting facts:
The symbols/constellations on the cards of Shamino and Dupre are obviously Spirituality and Honor
The broken shield symbol on Juo'nar's card looks like the Shame tile from VvV, which is fitting since Juo'nar is a fallen paladin.
But what is the symbol on Nystul's card? He wasn't traditionally associated to any Virtue in particular. Maybe a clock, or the moons of Trammel and Felucca?

Selistrana

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
After all these years, I still wonder how greedy and selfish some Peoples can be when it comes to "Rares". Nothing should be Rare in Ultima Online anymore, cause we all Pay to Play this Game. We are all the same Players and with those super duper Rares, we get a 2 Class Player System, which should not be there, in a Game. What if UO turns the light off in a year? What did you had from your Rares for that you spend so many Millions or Billions of Pixel Cash? Will some of you cry then, cause all crap is gone? So would it not be better to stop this Rares thing and make it possible for all Players to get the nice Items too and not only for a bunch of selfish Rares Collectors, which have Chars on every Shared just to grab by Events more as 1 Event Item, to get more Gold out of it. You came to UO with empty Pockets and you will leave UO with empty Pockets one day ....