• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bushido training

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, Acid Slugs carry as loot,
I have rarely looted them so I don't know. 2 pets with Goo will kill them all. You could just walk down there and loot.
It's not nice to take a Goo pet there if someone is already there.

We use them for pet skilling. Will take a pet to 120 Wrestling, Parry, Anatomy. But only 75 Tactics.
But once in a while an archer or thrower is there skilling.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Popps, throwing has a sweet spot that is not max range, that does(or did) more damage and had better accuracy.

Read about here.

so velocity increases damage by 1 for every tile away you are.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I have rarely looted them so I don't know. 2 pets with Goo will kill them all. You could just walk down there and loot.
It's not nice to take a Goo pet there if someone is already there.

We use them for pet skilling. Will take a pet to 120 Wrestling, Parry, Anatomy. But only 75 Tactics.
But once in a while an archer or thrower is there skilling.
I loot them a lot. Need green thing for gold conversion elixir. To make gold of dull copper.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Well, Acid Slugs carry as loot, among other stuff, Vials of Vitriol which is needed to imbue the Elemental Slayer property on weapons....
So, I imagine that there may be players actually killing the Acid Slugs for their loot....

By the way, is there a way, for those farming Acid Slugs, to avoid seeing their Armor and Weapon be damaged in no time by the acid that they spit ?

Even using a pet or a ranged weapon, the character still needs to get into the pit, close to the corpses, to loot them, and the other slugs would then attack them and damage their armor and weapon with their acid....
They do not damage armor a lot. Only weapon.
Weapon with spell channel not damaged. Spell books are not. Also Wrath of dryad (staff) is immune. My Ninja in dog form can handle their damage. She is a slug loot collector. I mostly do gold blacksmith BODs thanks to slugs.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps, throwing has a sweet spot that is not max range, that does(or did) more damage and had better accuracy.

Read about here.

@Draza

I gather from that link that

The absolute maximum range is capped. The calculated maximum range a player can throw their weapon is used to determine how accurate their throw actually is when trying to hit a target at a certain distance. This allows the player to have a “sweet-spot” area where their throwing is most effective, while pushing towards their maximum range or throwing while too close to the target results in a less damage or accuracy.

Underthrown
– If, while equipped, a weapon has a maximum range of six tiles, and a player throws at a player two tiles away (too close) they have a Hit Chance penalty of 12%, but no damage reduction.

Perfect – Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of four tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, no damage reduction

Overthrown – Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of six tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, but 47% damage reduction
Let's take the example of the Soul Glaive I picked in my previous post...

According to the above, Throwing a weapon at max distance (11 tiles) would cause a 47% damage reduction.

Now, because of Velocity, the Base Damage changes, if the Target is hit at the max 11 tiles distance, from 16-20 to 27-31 .

But, because of the 47% reduction, even with Velocity, Throwing at the max Range of 11 tiles results in a Base Damage of 14-16 (-47% to 27-31).

Honestly, I do not see, with targets moving all the time, how can Throwers ever be able to maintain that "perfect" Throwing distance for best effects.... I bet that, most Throwers just do not care and just take whatever Hit chance or damage penalty might come for not throwing their weapon at that "perfect" range....

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Read about here.

@Draza

I gather from that link that

The absolute maximum range is capped. The calculated maximum range a player can throw their weapon is used to determine how accurate their throw actually is when trying to hit a target at a certain distance. This allows the player to have a “sweet-spot” area where their throwing is most effective, while pushing towards their maximum range or throwing while too close to the target results in a less damage or accuracy.

Underthrown – If, while equipped, a weapon has a maximum range of six tiles, and a player throws at a player two tiles away (too close) they have a Hit Chance penalty of 12%, but no damage reduction.

Perfect – Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of four tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, no damage reduction

Overthrown – Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of six tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, but 47% damage reduction

Let's take the example of the Soul Glaive I picked in my previous post...

According to the above, Throwing a weapon at max distance (11 tiles) would cause a 47% damage reduction.

Now, because of Velocity, the Base Damage changes, if the Target is hit at the max 11 tiles distance, from 16-20 to 27-31 (+11 damage for 11 tiles).

Yet, because of the 47% damage reduction for the target being hit at the max 11 tiles and not at the intermediate "sweet spot", even with Velocity, at the max 11 Range the damage resulting should be, if I understood it as correctly, 14-16 .

Not sure what the sweet spot might be for a Soul Glaive with a max range of 11 tiles as the example mentions it being 4 tiles for a 6 tiles max range weapon.

Assuming though, that it was to be the same "percentage" calculated on the max range, since 4 tiles is 66.66% of 6 tiles, I would guess that the "sweet spot" for an 11 tiles max range weapon as the Soul Glaive, was to be 66.66% of 11 tiles or, 7 tiles...

Now, with Velocity, if that Soul Glaive was to be Thrown to a Target positioned at 7 Tiles, the Base Damage, to my understanding, should therefore become 23-27 (16-20 +7 from the 7 tiles).

So, I seem to understand, Velocity does not cancel out the Sweet Spot of Throwing, but still adds to it....

Did I get it right or wrong ?

Regardless though, I honestly do not understand this concept of a "sweet spot" for Throwing.... I mean, how many scenarios are there really, where a Thrower might have a Target that did not move so that they can always throw at that "perfect" distance ?

As we know, in reality it is pretty much always a dance, which makes it quite hard, if not impossible, to always maintain that "perfect" distance to the target for best hit chance and damage done results....

Last edited:

Scott1234

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
assuming you’re in wraith form, and you have magery,
use junk boomerang, spell channeling. SC just simplifies the casting operation.
add SSI or use SSI items to get to 1.25 swing rate. ez w/boomerang.
cast Earthquake occasionally to refill mana from the hoard below.
spam lightning strike.
repeat until 120

make proper glaive/etc for use outside training.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because it is a place where I train all skis which need mana. Or need hitting something. Or Provo and Disco till 85 (slimes then slugs) Or need to rise Humility level. I was scribing there when I had this skill.
Training throwing -slug pit (up to 120)
Mysticism -slug pit: slower with casting, faster with lvl 1 mastery and throwing
Magery, SW, Necro, Chiv, Ninja, Bushido, - all there.
All with wraith form if skill im training has AOE, and adding throwing for more mana gains. Or if skill has no AOE just throwing. Only Noble sacrifice is tricky : you need to be alone there.
All you need for this is some junk brittle cyclones (for 255 durability and longer training time). Or for some skills ones with self-repair (leftover from reforging ele damage). You can do with just NPC bought and imbued.
@gwen

Thank you for the clarification, appreciated.

One more question, if I may, in regards to adding Velocity to a Throwing weapon, you mentioned using reforging..... what are the reforging steps (and what runic tool) that you go through, in order to get Velocity on the Throwing weapon ?

And why did you say that you toss many away ? Do you get, along with Velocity, random other properties which you are not interested about ?

Thanks !

gwen

Slightly Crazed
@gwen

Thank you for the clarification, appreciated.

One more question, if I may, in regards to adding Velocity to a Throwing weapon, you mentioned using reforging..... what are the reforging steps (and what runic tool) that you go through, in order to get Velocity on the Throwing weapon ?

And why did you say that you toss many away ? Do you get, along with Velocity, random other properties which you are not interested about ?

Thanks !
I need lots of elemental Soul Glaives. Velocity is not so good for my setups and you getting lots of them. Only one toon using it in battle is my blunder beacon hunter. She using quiver of fire. But that is really weird skills set. With 70 swords and 65 still free skill points. But she does her job and drags me out of poverty on that shard.
I use DC, Shadow, Copper runics depending on do I need 100%poison or 100% energy. And what do I or VS have.
Yeah, you get lots of properties you don't need on weapon. Like Stat increase , LMC, lower requirements or durability.
Velocity gives same damage (depending on distance) and doesn't rely on tactics or anatomy, or even strength. And when training you want to have as less skill points allocated as possible.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Velocity gives same damage (depending on distance) and doesn't rely on tactics or anatomy, or even strength. And when training you want to have as less skill points allocated as possible.
@gwen

Hang on, I thought that Throwing did need Tactics and Anatomy in order to do damage....

For example, this Post in the Warriors' Forum, [Throwing] - THROWING TEMPLATE HELP NEEDED , suggests a couple of Throwers' Templates as :

ABC Thrower:
120 Throwing
120 Tactics
105 Anatomy (120 with Bracelet)
100 Chivalry
115 Resist Spells
090 Bushido
070 Healing

Mystic Thrower:
120 Throwing
120 Tactics
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
120 Anatomy
120 Chivalry
So, what do you mean by saying that with Velocity a Thrower can do damage even without any Tactics or Anatomy or even strength ?

Thanks for the clarification !

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I need lots of elemental Soul Glaives. Velocity is not so good for my setups and you getting lots of them. Only one toon using it in battle is my blunder beacon hunter. She using quiver of fire. But that is really weird skills set. With 70 swords and 65 still free skill points. But she does her job and drags me out of poverty on that shard.
I use DC, Shadow, Copper runics depending on do I need 100%poison or 100% energy. And what do I or VS have.
Yeah, you get lots of properties you don't need on weapon. Like Stat increase , LMC, lower requirements or durability.
I'm holding my breath until I can use a whetstone on my throwing weapons demand equality for gargoyles/ today!!

gwen

Slightly Crazed
@popps tactics and anatomy are increasing your weapon damage. Hit area damage also depend on it. Hit spell does not take it into account.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm holding my breath until I can use a whetstone on my throwing weapons demand equality for gargoyles/ today!!
Gargoyles also need an equivalent to Swampy Armor. Like some sort of deed that can be applied to Wing Armor that gives 20% (Exceptional) damage reduction in PvM, and absorbs X amount of damage based on the material it's made out of (same as Dragon Barding Deeds). Currently the closest thing they can get to that is Knight of Spirituality, which provides a 20% PvM Damage Reduction for 200 points.
One of the big reasons you almost never see Garg Melee Dexxers.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Gargoyles also need an equivalent to Swampy Armor. Like some sort of deed that can be applied to Wing Armor that gives 20% (Exceptional) damage reduction in PvM, and absorbs X amount of damage based on the material it's made out of (same as Dragon Barding Deeds). Currently the closest thing they can get to that is Knight of Spirituality, which provides a 20% PvM Damage Reduction for 200 points.
One of the big reasons you almost never see Garg Melee Dexxers.
I would love it. Even if it will occupy one flower slot (let it be some wisp sitting on your shoulder).
Gargish has way less weapon and no double axe. Dual short axes with poison strike is a joke. Same as Galway with dismount. Cannot use hatchet, disc mace has lower damage then war axe or hammer pick.
All 2 s swing speed useless weapon are alterable , but not bokuto. Can alter Pads of Cu Sidhe but not soul seeker.
Looks like person who was in charge of gargish race development just went to buy donuts one day and never came back.

SirKing

Visitor
Hi all,

So after I returned to UO, I decided I want to try out this template that everyone talks about... the "Sampire" :)
And according to uoguide, 120 Bushido is very usefull.
Problem is that it seems to take forever to train it.

Iam running EC and have made a macro which cast evasion every 20 seconds. In between I have thrown 3 Chivalry spells just to use the time.

I started doing this around 70 skill in Bushido with 40 Chivalry... I am now at 89.5 in Bushido and 104 Chivalry.

Any tips or is it just painfully slow to train?

Bonus question: What is your "Sampire" Template?
Is Fencing ok? I never had a Swordsman, but have a 110 fencer char.

The template Iam working on is:

120 Fencing
115 Parry
120 Bushido
100 Necromancer
120 Chivalry
80 Healing
65 Tactics or Anatomy

Any suggestions to other builds greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
drop the healing and anatomy put on resist... chivalry you only need like 60-80... 100 resist 100 parry 120 swords only need 90-120 tactics 120 bush 100 necro you heal with confidence and chiv if you have too but you shouldnt have to

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bit of a necro thread but to add my two cents, I'm finding that chivalry can be replaced completely with a top end suit.

Ungoliant

Journeyman
Will I be totally screwed using Fencing instead of Swordsmanship? I have 2 chars with 105 Fencing but none with swords... stupid I know... but I was appearantly very fond of Kryss´s in the old days :)
Do yourself a favor and go with swordsmanship over fencing.... Double axes and Bladed staff(s) are your go to weapons.. there may be fencing weapons with the same specials but im not versed in those.... Double axe has whirlwind and double strike... the bladed staff has armor ignore.... done..

gwen

Slightly Crazed
drop the healing and anatomy put on resist... chivalry you only need like 60-80... 100 resist 100 parry 120 swords only need 90-120 tactics 120 bush 100 necro you heal with confidence and chiv if you have too but you shouldnt have to
He will not heal himself much having zero in tactics and anatomy.
110 tactics is needed , minimum