• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bushido training

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

So after I returned to UO, I decided I want to try out this template that everyone talks about... the "Sampire" :)
And according to uoguide, 120 Bushido is very usefull.
Problem is that it seems to take forever to train it.

Iam running EC and have made a macro which cast evasion every 20 seconds. In between I have thrown 3 Chivalry spells just to use the time.

I started doing this around 70 skill in Bushido with 40 Chivalry... I am now at 89.5 in Bushido and 104 Chivalry.

Any tips or is it just painfully slow to train?

Bonus question: What is your "Sampire" Template?
Is Fencing ok? I never had a Swordsman, but have a 110 fencer char.

The template Iam working on is:

120 Fencing
115 Parry
120 Bushido
100 Necromancer
120 Chivalry
80 Healing
65 Tactics or Anatomy

Any suggestions to other builds greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will try to look into that... as Iam training these skills on my crafter I dont have many chances if I get attacked thou :)

Thanks!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will try to look into that... as Iam training these skills on my crafter I dont have many chances if I get attacked thou :)

Thanks!
Get a max mana/regen suit and cast lightning strike over and over while hitting a pet. Will not damage the pet (in tram) and you still gain bushido.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe... oh well.. I just want to try it... why do you "die"? Whats wrong with it?

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
> template

120 swords
120 Bushido
120 parrying
100 tactics
100 anatomy
100 Necromancer
60 Chivalry

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe... oh well.. I just want to try it... why do you "die"? Whats wrong with it?
Sampires are not very popular with a lot of players, simply because they are very powerful and can do thinsg alone that are intended for groups. Thus kinda defeating the purpose of an MMO. Depending on your shard and the state of the overall player base I would feel too bad, though.

If you want to try out the satyr trick, here's a little video that shows how it's done. So you can see if you think you can do that on your crafter: Satyr Trick

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
60 Chivalry?? :) I guess I overshot that target a bit :)
Will 120 Chivalry be totally wasted?
Nice thing about sampires is variation. You could drop parry to 60 and keep chiv at 120 for damage boosts. I run with 70 chiv 60 parry and ~30 spirit speak (for those times i need curse weapon for extra healing. Remember you need 300 total points in weapon parry and bushido to get the special moves mana reduction bonus (cuts mana cost in half).

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sampires are not very popular with a lot of players, simply because they are very powerful and can do thinsg alone that are intended for groups. Thus kinda defeating the purpose of an MMO. Depending on your shard and the state of the overall player base I would feel too bad, though.

If you want to try out the satyr trick, here's a little video that shows how it's done. So you can see if you think you can do that on your crafter: Satyr Trick
Not at all this, I simply think Sampires are the reason they can't buff other melee templates that aren't sampires. To be melee, you have to be sampire. And that sucks in a game with this kind of skill system.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not at all this, I simply think Sampires are the reason they can't buff other melee templates that aren't sampires. To be melee, you have to be sampire. And that sucks in a game with this kind of skill system.
I like playing my sampire. It fits my playstyle. With that said I can definatly understand your point. In pvm if you're a warrior then sampire tends to be the way to go.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Curious are you using Necro without Spirit Speak?
I am really new to this... just trained Necromancy to 100 before starting training Chivalry so havnt really used it yet.
Is Spirit Speak needed on the template?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am really new to this... just trained Necromancy to 100 before starting training Chivalry so havnt really used it yet.
Not really. What @J. E. Tamer posted is a basic sampire setup. Probably be best to learn to play the build and then you can customize based on your style of play. Contrary to belief there is some skill required to play the template.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Not that i'm aware of and judging from the posts of the peep who play it a lot it doesn't seem to be the norm either. I made one 7-8 years ago but never really played it much, so do not have a lot of experience with that template. The one i made had 100 SS and used some mage jewls to cast protection and basically kept curse weap up continually while in vamp form. however i do not like playing melee char's much, so he got mothballed. I left game shortly there after and all the soul stones with those skills(sword,Bushido,parry) got lost when i returned a year ago. However i was kicking around the idea of building another to mostly do boss's, so was curious about build.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
> template

120 swords
120 Bushido
120 parrying
100 tactics
100 anatomy
100 Necromancer
60 Chivalry
Your first goal, even before bushido, should be to raise tactics - you need 70 for first special move and 90 for second, such as armor ignore and whirlwind - as suggested, you can cast lightning strike and confidence while raising tactics and do both at once - the great thing about a fighter template is you can actually raise skills while playing the game (killing monsters)

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ooo
Perfect topic

I used to play on my sampire a little bit in the past, but have forgotten everything about it.

What's the sequence of spells/specials I'm supposed to use?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why use the term exploit though? It is using allowable game mechanics to discord self, and gain faster. Not sure it is an exploit.
I was trolling Mervyn. He calls the pet auto log an exploit.

Bushido takes forever. Spam lightning strike and evasion while you attack high HP stuff.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, it was probably an oversight. When you go into stat loss, they put in a code where you cannot gain skill. I am not sure why you can gain skill under the influence of disco but not in stat loss. Makes no sense to me at all. But I also do not care if people exploit it, whereas auto pet logging is actually ruining the game.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your first goal, even before bushido, should be to raise tactics - you need 70 for first special move and 90 for second, such as armor ignore and whirlwind - as suggested, you can cast lightning strike and confidence while raising tactics and do both at once - the great thing about a fighter template is you can actually raise skills while playing the game (killing monsters)
This is no longer true. They lowered the tactics requirement to 30 for primary and 60 for secondary special move, so 60 is all you need to do both.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well, it was probably an oversight. When you go into stat loss, they put in a code where you cannot gain skill. I am not sure why you can gain skill under the influence of disco but not in stat loss. Makes no sense to me at all. But I also do not care if people exploit it, whereas auto pet logging is actually ruining the game.
This is misleading. You can gain skill while "cursed" or some such. I'm really not sure what your really trying to say.

The Satyr trick is just as much an exploit as say... using sheep to train parrying. It's just another trick to getting skill gain. It's not exploiting bad code.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you put spirit speak on your template becomes a Wammy. Samps play in vamp form to leech hit points with every hit. A Wammy plays in wraith form to leech mana with every hit.

A wammy is only effective with negative karma so it would be a waste to put chiv on. You would then lose the enemy of one damage bonus.

Basically, samps are easier to build, suit and more effective to play.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is no longer true. They lowered the tactics requirement to 30 for primary and 60 for secondary special move, so 60 is all you need to do both.
Since when? I'm not doubting you, but I had always needed 70 and 90 when training sampires and had not heard about the change. Doing WW and AI at 60 tactics seems kinda lame to me

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you put spirit speak on your template becomes a Wammy. Samps play in vamp form to leech hit points with every hit. A Wammy plays in wraith form to leech mana with every hit.

A wammy is only effective with negative karma so it would be a waste to put chiv on. You would then lose the enemy of one damage bonus.

Basically, samps are easier to build, suit and more effective to play.
Not sure a wammy is tougher to build a suit for than a sampire. I agree with the playstyle being a bit more involved though.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since when? I'm not doubting you, but I had always needed 70 and 90 when training sampires and had not heard about the change. Doing WW and AI at 60 tactics seems kinda lame to me
Agreed. Tactics should be at least 100 and 120 is better. They did make that change just don't see a circumstance that you would want to do that.

Last edited:

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will I be totally screwed using Fencing instead of Swordsmanship? I have 2 chars with 105 Fencing but none with swords... stupid I know... but I was appearantly very fond of Kryss´s in the old days :)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will I be totally screwed using Fencing instead of Swordsmanship? I have 2 chars with 105 Fencing but none with swords... stupid I know... but I was appearantly very fond of Kryss´s in the old days :)
Fencing I would use a leafblade. Has feint special which basically cuts incomming damage in half and armor ignore.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure a wammy is tougher to build a suit for than a sampire. I agree with the playstyle being a bit more involved though.
If you don't mind regs. I can't stand them so my suit ended up more like a PvP mage suit.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you don't mind regs. I can't stand them so my suit ended up more like a PvP mage suit.
I never minded the regs because the only other spell I would use besides wraith form is curse weapon and thats just pig iron.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kamas and lajatang have whirlwind. Lrafblade does feint and ai. I like the damage from a spear ai.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed. Tactics should be at least 100 and 120 is better. They did make that change just don't see a circumstance that you would want to do that.
For the final sampire template yes, it should absolutely be 100 at the very least (I prefer 120 because I use the swords mastery) but for training/playing before it's maxxed out 60 tactics is enough to do both special moves.

A finished template with only 60 tactics makes more sense in PvP than in PvM.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fencing Sampires work. I used to play one, although I must admit that I switched to swords later on and found it worked even better for me. Higher damage output and you have more choices of weapons, both one- and two-handed that are viable options in PvM and the swords mastery ability onslaught is extremely useful in most situations (whenever double strike works better than AI).

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hitting your pet still dmg your pet in tram if you are in a guild does it not ?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hitting your pet still dmg your pet in tram if you are in a guild does it not ?
Yes. You must be in a Tram ruleset land and not in a guild to spam Lightning Strike on your pet for Bushido training. Otherwise you'll kill it.

As of about a year ago, yes.

Get a 100%poison weapon and hit a AOL or spider
Problem with that is, if he's spamming Lightning Strike to train Bushido, if he gets a Critical, then he'll damage the AOL or Wolf Spider. Criticals completely ignore the opponent's Resists. The chance for a Critical with Lightning Strike increases with Bushido skill, up to 20% at 120 Bushido.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Also keep wounding our polars when training ninjitsu in Tram, non-Guilded. Even when deathstrike (usually) fails.