• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bring back old school thieves?

• Thread starter kennykilleduo
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Bring back old school thieves?

• Yes

Votes: 91 48.1%
  • Yes , but limited to PVP / Factions only

Votes: 41 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

Remy_of_GOR

At the time, mage/arcehrs were extremely popular, so a thief archer could go 1 on many by stealing the bow from one guy and the arrows from another (disabling both of them). If you were good at it, you could effectively shut down an entire group of people.
noone ever points out that there were many ways to combat the stealing skill, none of which required the use of any of the trainable skills, just common sense.

K

kennykilleduo

Voters: 185.

Seem like we are getting somewhere here , need more votes and reasons to bring the thieves back in a more useful way..

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's a thought that just popped into my head... How about a theives shard like siege. No insurance, no bless deeds, monsters with backpacks, npc's worth stealing from, town crates/boxes full of useful items, and full of unsuspecting, clueless victims carrying high end goodies in their packs.

A guy can dream can't he.

Honestly, I would like to see some love given to the thieves. Insurance killed us. It's a shame I had to turn my thief into a stealth fencer. Maybe someday I'll dust off the stealing soulstone and head into doom. But not today.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How's this for a rule of thumb:
red moongate: you have to be a little paranoid about people
blue moongate: you're supposed to be able to trust people

If we could all agree to accept this as a baseline axiom, maybe we can have a rational discussion about what thieves can and cannot be allowed to do and what's acceptable/unacceptable behavior.

(if we can't get this far, then my position has to be "nerf thieves into oblivion!")

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How's this for a rule of thumb:
red moongate: you have to be a little paranoid about people
blue moongate: you're supported to be able to trust people
That's the way it should still be as far as I'm concerned.

Maplestone said:
If we could all agree to accept this as a baseline axiom, maybe we can have a rational discussion about what thieves can and cannot be allowed to do and what's acceptable/unacceptable behavior.

(if we can't get this far, then my position has to be "nerf thieves into oblivion!")
Sadly, I think we're already at this point, if not past it.

A

Arnie QuickPalm

ok again my noobish ignorance betrays me so the folks that live and play in FEL say thiefs are bad ??? its ok to kill someone and take all they own but stealing it is bad ??

what about stay in tram if you dont like the risk ?? and all the other blah blah that is spouted ??

again killing good stealing bad??

T

Thrand Graywolf

Btw, stealing isn't only good for the thieves. It adds risk and danger to your gameplay, excitement...there's no point in playing without it such things.
Sorry, but I can think of dozens of reasons to play that don't involve being robbed.

Thieves were the worst part about the early days of UO. It's been many years and I still instinctively back away anytime someone tries to stand one tile from me.

Besides, it was pretty easy to "thief proof" your pack with so many containers they never had a chance to get anything really useful. It was mainly the noobs that got robbed...usually about ten seconds after appearing in the game for the first time.

I'll never understand the "risk and danger" excuse to PKing and stealing. There is no risk or danger...it's a video game. There is only annoyance.

T

Thrand Graywolf

You could have it so:

- Stealing an insured item puts it in the bank of the owner
- The victim loses the cost of insurance from their bank
- The thief gets the insurance in their backpack

Basically there's an arbitrary exchange (the insurance gold), and a tactical consequence (item is banked / taken out of the situation). Also you can potentially kill the thief and get your insurance back.

That's actually not too bad of a compromise...brings back combat thieving while taking into account the insurance system we live in at the moment. Logical.

As such, the dev team will never even consider it.