• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bo's Ideas For Siege Improvement

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read in another thread that your a solo gatherer/crafter that has limited ability due to arthritis or something...can't remember exactly what the post said.
Yes, my dexterity is fairly fubared.

But here you are shooting down everything we've been asking for FOR YEARS. Why are you taking a stance to limit a potential boon for Siege?
Siege is supposed to be more risky and dangerous than prodo, I don't want to see this shard made safe like prodo, Siege turns into something like the prodo shards I got sick of and left behind and I'll finish that trip out the door Siege's magic brought to a stop about 5 years back.

You don't PvP. You don't play in groups (your words). In your world, you're playing a single player game.
My solo play involves others via the goods I gather, craft, and sell.

do you pvp?
No, last pvp I did was pre AoS when I went after the pkers who kept killing my miner/logger/craftsman in fel on Chessie, Landreu working in normal clothing without a weapon, and then dance around and rant about what super macho barney badasses they were and that they'd owned me.

If you think the best thing for this shard is to loot aggressively you are so wrong it isn't even funny. the worst part of this shard, is losing your suit than having to spend time to put a new together.
I wouldn't loot. Don't get into screwing over other players fun.

Risk vs Reward dude, part of life in a fel ruleset.

Now not some trash that you might wear but something you need to compete in.
Improve your combat skill to where the scared to lose their gear prodo people lose their gear to you here and buff it up with a couple good armor pieces. ?You got a spare suit ready to go.

... and don't you dare call a pvp just a pvper, ...
I'll call them PvPers when they show they deserve respect.

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lack of ideas and tudes like yours is the reason this shard is dead.
risk vs reward, you have no clue. bo runs a killer suit every time. why cause its not risk vs reward it is more like haves vs havenots. Bo has so much it is sickening, the Bo's goal is to fix the screwed up situation, which is item based pvp. not by adding full on insurance, but by adding 3-4 more blessed items. and ya know what that situation is this shard is dead. funny in the years bo has played bo has no clue what your siege characters name is. What is your siege characters name? do you even play this shard or are you some freesharder???

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
funny in the years bo has played bo has no clue what your siege characters name is. What is your siege characters name? do you even play this shard or are you some freesharder???
I have two Siege characters, Tanivar my gather and Landreu my crafter. I left prodo around five years back and decided to use up the last of my gametime on Siege before not letting the door hit me on the rear on the way out, I was sick of prodo play. I fell in love with Siege and still walk this shard today.

I checked into the freeshards looking for a UO: Ren one but never joined one since I liked Siege so much.

My characters houses are side by side at the location given below my sig if your considering dirtnapping my hide. :eek: :p

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi all, a little off topic but I have a question regarding Siege.

I've played UO on and off since 98 and played on Europa & dabbled on Siege. As I've got older I like more and more the rule set of Siege and if I returned I'd prefer to play here full time.

My problem - a few years back I emigrated to New Zealand and really struggle for ping to the shard, although I do play Oceania on and off. Any ideas on programs to lower this to make Siege playable?

Cheers

Dorset

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi all, a little off topic but I have a question regarding Siege.

I've played UO on and off since 98 and played on Europa & dabbled on Siege. As I've got older I like more and more the rule set of Siege and if I returned I'd prefer to play here full time.

My problem - a few years back I emigrated to New Zealand and really struggle for ping to the shard, although I do play Oceania on and off. Any ideas on programs to lower this to make Siege playable?

Cheers

Dorset
I've heard wtfast spoken of, but as i ping low to Siege i've never needed it

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Win gear from others?!?!?!? Get out of here with that nonsense. You must be high as hell.

Are you talking about sexy pieces like LRC 17, MR1, MI 4, LMC 7 with assorted resist??? Those are some leet pieces my friend. Unless it's Sunday PvP or an event that is held within guard zone, people will never wear respectable gear. And I don't blame them. Why farm for hundreds of hours to lose it immediately? That's beyond risk vs reward.

The drop rates are unsustainable and non-compatible with the Siege ruleset as is. Pre-AOS made sense when the best you had was surpassingly accurate invulnerable vanq items...and those were not crazy hard to find.

Siege must evolve or else it will forever remain a ghost town. Honestly, for me, just increase the damn drop rate on everything. That would be a great fix.
The above is exactly why we don't see anyone. They either stay in their houses and refuse to participate in anything, stealth everywhere or have stopped playing altogether. It is too difficult to re-equip or have to remake even one piece. One death/loss and it's back to building the next suit instead of re-equipping and going back out for revenge and more fun. Game play doesn't happen that way anymore. Most people log off pissed off and dreading having to rebuild a suit that is up to their standards.

Making all currently equipped items unlootable [not insurance, as is on other shards] solves this problem. All other items remain lootable so there are a few spoils to obtain. It resolves the bulk of Sieges item-based problems for everyone.

Sparviero

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well i hope we can keep the discussion on topic without wasting the thread with the same wars pvper vs pvmer, guild vs guild.. Anyway...
I didn't say anything till now because my knowledge of Pvp is very low (probably the last time i try to pvp seriously there still were around the halberd/mage LOL) but reading all answers in this post i think the major problem is to increase our player population to give more challenge to all. I don't know if giving more bless items can be a solution and ,as always said if there isn't a big part of Siege that want this change, nothing will be changed. Also speaking about Legacy Server, if you read the last newsletter you can see they don't want add that (they don't want, they can't do that, they can't afford a thing like that,doesn't matter) so better put a rock on that thing. But nothing forbid us to try another way... Don't know if was already try in the past (in that case sorry) but maybe we can do in this way.
People are asking for more blessed item and that mean looting isn't what they are looking... They are looking for a real challenge maybe involving more people in pvp.. Well why don't try for a period (1-2 weeks?) to wear just GM suit like old times all that make pvp? In this way all can join the pvp, if anyone die and lose his suit he can replace easy it and the only blessed item will be the weapon (i tought weapon because there are blessed spellbook so at least the weapon must be a good item like the old vanq weapons)... Yes this involve a great shard efforts because:
  1. Caster need to don't use Siege Bless (they have already the Spellbook blessed).. If they don't wear the spellbook they can use a blessed weapon
  2. Caster need to don't wear LRC and other property on the suit (just as old time bring a bag with some regs)
  3. Warriors need to don't wear Crimson cinture or other things like that
  4. Warriors need to don't wear SI and other property on the suit
I know there will be always someone that will break rules but you can always let them get bored don't fighting against him.
For the suit we can use old suit style:

1. Caster: Full Leather Gm Suit
  2. Warriors: Plate/chaimail Suit Gm Iron
  3. Archer: Studded Suit Gm Leather
I know there are many things involved because some suit have passive bonus but we can work on it and find a good solution for all... If you say me you want try this thing, i can start a mass production of all these kind of armor and sell them only for the resource cost... This will make easy also for new players get suit to make pvp and replace them if they lose... And will be a challenge also for master pvper because will be a bit harder also for them...
And if this project will work, we can work also on some special kind of pvp event maybe in sunday (we can host them in UWSP Town because we are neutral) like assault to the vault (where winner of the battle can loot chest from the bank with reward inside as the very old fight at HQ Guilds), catch the wagon (people will have to defend or attack a caravan with a special prize at the end) or something like capture the flag (the flag can be a player that will follow the group with more members near him)

It's just an idea... Don't kill me if it's something impossible to do... But if there is only a chance that we can try it, you can count on my support on this kind of things... I like so much SP and i want me too see more people here :)

(This idea is valid only for PVP... i know today PVM is impossible in this way :p)

Last edited:

Old Timer

Adventurer
There's some ideas that don't require anything from the programmers or BS. It's all on us. This is what I was refering to in an earlier post. We play on the shard, and outside of fixed game mechanics, we can control (for the most part) game play in the world. Ideas such as Magics, do require "buy in" from the general populace, and adherence to agreed upon decisions. But like the real world, there can be thing dictated by fixed "laws" I.E. programming, and accepted morality I.E. how we conduct ourselves. Just because arties and super suits exist... doesn't mean we HAVE to use them. Using GM crafted would certainly put the skill and tactics back into PvP, and less on the items which have taken over. Or maybe try limiting looting to 2 - 3 items from a body...??

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bo, please stop Making it sound like only pvpers opinion matters. You just wrote that he has mo clue about risk vs reward because he doesnt pvp? What?

The real risk here is for the people Who DONT pvp , without any of the rewards.

If anyone think that pvp is the only way to ”save” siege, is greatly delucional.

I like it here bcause it takes effort, it has risks. But the lack of rewards is getting extremely annoying.

Te mentality that everyone need to gather stuff themselves or craft stuff themselves is bad, i would gladly support pvpers and pvmers with sugits and Weapons all day long.

But all suggestions leads to my playstyle being even less needed. And somehow Thats less important, because What is needed here according to some is not more people, just more pvpers.

Sad.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think some of you are not understanding the costs and rarity of these high end suits that *could* be used. Therein lies the real risk. It takes a long time to find usable non-garbage legendaries that fit into a suit. The risk of losing them in an instant is just too high to bother using them.

To compare the effort it takes to build a suit like that, and the 57 valorite ingots you have stored on your giant beetle while out mining is ludicrous. Even to compare it to 40k gold and 3 miasma chests you've bene farming for 30 minutes is dumb.

The items are here and available and not being used. That's the part that is sad. Trying to convince everyone to "just use crafted gear" is a really odd suggestion imo.

The game has moved forward... can Siege?

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using crafted gear only is not viable or realistic.

But PvE suits require just as much effort , a luck suit for examle where i have to imbue and reforge cost insane amounts on siege.

And its hardly about valorite ingots, its about the fact that i take the risk minint without any reward, while the PkEr get the rewards with limited risk.

As i wrote, just seeing this from a pvp point of view doesnt help much. Its more than that.

Non pvpers are needed too for a healthy Community , and most of us cant fight back IF attacked due to the same itamization.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trying to convince everyone to "just use crafted gear" is a really odd suggestion imo.
I've seen it made many times since the Act of Stupidity (AoS) expansion was released. It has the benefits of making skill & talent matter more over items and makes re-equipping fast, cheap, and easy.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I've seen it made many times since the Act of Stupidity (AoS) expansion was released. It has the benefits of making skill & talent matter more over items and makes re-equipping fast, cheap, and easy.
I agree with the idea - If siege had passed on the itemization I don't think I would be clamoring for AoS stats. I only think it's an odd suggestion to not use gear we already have. o_O

Here are utensils. Now eat with your fingers.

Old Timer

Adventurer
My last input / words on the subject... the game is no longer about skill, it's now about things... just like it's become in the real world. As human beings, we seemed destined to ruin everything we touch. Forget adventure, just win at all costs with the best equipment money can buy. It's a "Biggest Hammer" mentality... but this isn't going to dampen my game play, or how I approach this or any other game. Nor the respect I'll give to those I meet along the way.

It has been said... The things that are not in your power to change, forget - nothing you can do about them, absolutely nothing . The things you do have influence over you can change, and hopefully for the better.

Forsaken

Journeyman
I get zero reward for killing probably 98% of the server that is currently active. That's one reason why I don't try to find PvP here.

Item based game. People afraid to die with cool pixels. Siege Perilous wasn't meant for said cool pixels. Made actual pvpers like Virem, Arnold, Genesis, Aeyko, myself and others way too overpowered here.

For the last time though, Ultima Online's current owners will not dedicate the time, resources, or money to make unique rules within already a unique server.

In my opinion we'll only ever get them on board with 2 options:

1. Make Siege Perilous the legacy server they once talked about.

Or

2. Turn on item insurance.

Either way, people are going to be sore over this change. You can't please everyone.

I think either option could allow a one time transfer to a prodo server with heavy restrictions on what can be taken.

If option one, take the one time transfer and revert the entire server to Legacy Siege and we all start over.

I for one vote option one.

Forsaken

Journeyman
I know it's frowned upon, but I for one would be all over a free server with an old school era if it weren't for funky casting, server unreliability, and biased mods on said servers.

You think I'm the only one that thinks this? I think EA would see a decent player increase with a Legacy server.

They could continue making profits off cosmetic items.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Item based game. People afraid to die with cool pixels. Siege Perilous wasn't meant for said cool pixels. Made actual pvpers like Virem, Arnold, Genesis, Aeyko, myself and others way too overpowered here.
*chuckles*

Is that the same Virem that __________________?
Is that the same Genesis that _______________?
Is that the same Aeyko that ____________________?

That´s all I can say here but I´d be happy to fill in the blanks in PMs if anyone wants to know more...

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bo, please stop Making it sound like only pvpers opinion matters. You just wrote that he has mo clue about risk vs reward because he doesnt pvp? What?

The real risk here is for the people Who DONT pvp , without any of the rewards.

If anyone think that pvp is the only way to ”save” siege, is greatly delucional.

I like it here bcause it takes effort, it has risks. But the lack of rewards is getting extremely annoying.

Te mentality that everyone need to gather stuff themselves or craft stuff themselves is bad, i would gladly support pvpers and pvmers with sugits and Weapons all day long.

But all suggestions leads to my playstyle being even less needed. And somehow Thats less important, because What is needed here according to some is not more people, just more pvpers.

Sad.
not sure where you get bo saying all that stuff. Not sure of your play style. Bo never once said this was only for pvpers, bo's last post was a response to someone elses. Bo said more blessed items like 3-4, how does that hurt a pvper, pvmer or crafter. Sure doesn't in fact it will give more business to the crafter and farmer. People will wont more high end items. those will need to be farmed or made. VvV arties this one is for sure for the pvpers, but if anyone could wear them, than it would be great for pvmers as well. It would give reason for pvpers to be active in VvV as they could sell the VvVarties to pvmers. Stat gains, well that effects everyone not just pvpers. Skill gain faster again that is for everyone. Increased drop rates and turning on all events again great for everyone. Please stop tryin to make this post about pvp it clearly is not.
Saying the Bo only wants this for pvp is just wrong, and you are tryin to mislead and change the topic. Most of what the Bo wants is to help new people to the shard. Everything suggested was to have the intent of making it easier for new people. Again stop hating and try to see there are issues that need to be addressed.

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not sure where you get bo saying all that stuff. Not sure of your play style. Bo never once said this was only for pvpers, bo's last post was a response to someone elses. Bo said more blessed items like 3-4, how does that hurt a pvper, pvmer or crafter. Sure doesn't in fact it will give more business to the crafter and farmer. People will wont more high end items. those will need to be farmed or made. VvV arties this one is for sure for the pvpers, but if anyone could wear them, than it would be great for pvmers as well. It would give reason for pvpers to be active in VvV as they could sell the VvVarties to pvmers. Stat gains, well that effects everyone not just pvpers. Skill gain faster again that is for everyone. Increased drop rates and turning on all events again great for everyone. Please stop tryin to make this post about pvp it clearly is not.
Saying the Bo only wants this for pvp is just wrong, and you are tryin to mislead and change the topic. Most of what the Bo wants is to help new people to the shard. Everything suggested was to have the intent of making it easier for new people. Again stop hating and try to see there are issues that need to be addressed.
lack of ideas and tudes like yours is the reason this shard is dead.
risk vs reward, you have no clue.
the Bo's goal is to fix the screwed up situation, which is item based pvp.

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
again you are talkin those points out of context. the Bo was replyin to someone else. that post was a reply to what was specifically said by tanavar. those are not general statements. you are clearly misunderstanding.
no doubt one of the goals is to fix up the screwed up situation which is item based pvp on a server with 1 blessing.
all the other stuff, you need to go back and reread some posts in the order in which they were posted so you can understand.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I love UO, and in particular I love Siege. The freedom of the Siege rule set is what allows our unique culture to exist. What you say and do matters here. The company you keep, your reputation, matters more on siege than any prodo shard. The practice of shunning is effective, given time, and it is the largest tool in our community's toolbox. So, let's say we took away the ability to strip people of their gear, or gave them a way to easily obtain new gear. In the long run, I just don't think that's a great idea. The way it stands now, everyone who wants to fight - be it monsters or players - must get the gear to do so in the same, equally tedious manner. This seems fair to me.

Unfortunately, I also feel that there is a very high level of intolerance and outright hatred on Siege these days for anything other than a particular style of play. This is not healthy. When people are saying the Devs are stupid, UO is doomed, what's the point of even trying - this does not help anyone. When people decide to ignore the entire shard except for their own guild, well that doesn't help either. In fact, it puts out a strong negative vibe of apathy. Of course, there has always been a percentage of that. But the past couple years seems to have really gotten kind of bad, and many strong voices have either given up or been driven into silence.

I prefer to focus on the things that do keep people here. At first, I tried to tackle the problem with NOOB. But now I've decided to come at it from a different direction. Getting trammies to go to fel even when they have almost nothing to lose is hard. Getting them to come to Siege - and want to stay - is even harder. Equipment is not the issue. RoT is not the issue. There is certainly room for improvement, but the rule set is not the greatest limitation that I see. If we want to recruit more population (PvPers, RPers, Crafters, PvMers - everyone) then we need to give them a healthy community to live in.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If we want to recruit more population (PvPers, RPers, Crafters, PvMers - everyone) then we need to give them a healthy community to live in.
We need to show them a healthy community by traveling around visible most of the time. I typically ride around on horseback and stealth only when a threat is nearby, I need to get past monsters, or when carrying something valuable to or from the bank. So many have commented they come here and see no one and leave.

Rizarium

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We need to show them a healthy community by traveling around visible most of the time. I typically ride around on horseback and stealth only when a threat is nearby, I need to get past monsters, or when carrying something valuable to or from the bank. So many have commented they come here and see no one and leave.
We should start a post called: "Who has ever seen Tanivar in game riding on horseback or otherwise?"

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We should start a post called: "Who has ever seen Tanivar in game riding on horseback or otherwise?"
His armor is white and red and he rides a gold and red ki-rin, hard to miss. ;)

I normally travel Tokuno Isles, fel, and Malas doing my gathering. The stuff in game most don't bother with. Probably why you don't see me. :cool:

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just the ability to insure (or not lootable) one full set, whatever you're wearing, would do wonders in population growth.
Whatever is in your backpack is fair game.
Not everyone has the time to rebuild suits over and over...

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just the ability to insure (or not lootable) one full set, whatever you're wearing, would do wonders in population growth.
Whatever is in your backpack is fair game.
Not everyone has the time to rebuild suits over and over...
I feel a full suit is too much. One ring/brace/totem, one accessory (crimson, tangle, robe, cloak, sash, shoes..etc), one armor piece. Then your universal personal bless deed. That's sufficient to build a rock solid suit for PVM, crafting, PVP...whatever you want.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Broken Record Says: "End the subscription and beef up the inventory in RL$ store"

Its not 2005 anymore.

Citizenbushido

Adventurer
Why does everyone equate not having blessed items or insurance as the sole defining factor of siege? Siege in my humble newbie experience is way more than that. Siege is only having one character per account, Siege is the potential to get attacked anywhere you go. Siege is economy that isn't ravaged by inflation of scripters. Siege is shard that you cant transfer anything in to or out of. Siege has kept it's rares and event items on siege. Keeping 4 or 5 items when you die isnt going to ruin siege.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I personally don't feel that UO is quite as itemized as others seem to feel. There are a ton of items, and more property types than ever before, but overall there really isn't much I cannot do with hand made imbued gear, one or two looted pieces, a few friends, and a solid understanding of my template. I suppose PvP is vastly different. However, since I seem to be in the minority, I'll suggest a couple things that might not require a lot of code changes and therefore are more likely to be implemented.

1) Make cloth equipment CBD'able again. Hats, sashes, aprons, robes, etc. I believe this code is already active on prodo shards (can't remember if prodo can CBD imbued items tho), so re-adding it to Siege might not be very time consuming. I think this part is 100% doable for the Devs if Siege votes loudly enough.

2) Make cloth armor for Humans. (Gargs already have it, and Elves can wear Human clothing.) Depending on the code, there might not even need to be new items or art, just use the clothing pieces that already take up equipment slots instead of clothing slots. Items like short pants and elven shirt - the stuff you cannot equip with leather equipment. Give them lower starting stats like cloth hats, but imbuable, maybe even add them to the loot table for better mods.

I think in this way, it would take a while to get a suit made mostly of CBD'd cloth and ready for the long haul. It'd still be a challenge for new players, something to work towards, but this would produce players that have an investment in Siege and therefore an investment in their reputation.

The Cheapsuit

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
let us be real, the population of siege just sucks. and while the population is at a lull, more great gear is sitting in chests than ever before for fear of actually being worn. more people are sitting in houses than ever before afraid to go out and lose something. so here are a few of the Bo's ideas

5. Blessings yes bo wants 2-3 more, why cause this is an item based game. Bo equips 13 items with some sort of mods on them, so don't be saying there will be nothing to loot when you kill the bo. the reason there is nothing for you to loot is you cant kill the bo!
[bcolor=transparent]The Bo has a limited memory. I've killed the Bo, ran the Bo from server line to server line, and just outright frightened "The Bo". How's everyone been?[/bcolor]

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
let us be real, the population of siege just sucks. and while the population is at a lull, more great gear is sitting in chests than ever before for fear of actually being worn. more people are sitting in houses than ever before afraid to go out and lose something. so here are a few of the Bo's ideas
1. Turn on all events like Treasuries of Tokuno
2. Well ya know bo wants vvv arties, hell make them wearable to anyone, could care less
3. Make stat gain faster and easier, bo found out how painful this is recently.
4. Make skill gain faster, cut rot timers all down to five minutes or less for all levels.
5. Blessings yes bo wants 2-3 more, why cause this is an item based game. Bo equips 13 items with some sort of mods on them, so don't be saying there will be nothing to loot when you kill the bo. the reason there is nothing for you to loot is you cant kill the bo!
6. Honorable mention increase drop rates for everything, but this has been said for years and is never going to happen.
From Bo's limited knowledge of computer stuff, this doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to execute. Number 6 must be, bo's guess is it is tied to all shards, so isolating siege would be an issue.
What say you siege?? Are you lookin to step into 2018 or we still got a bunch of 98ers lookin to run this shard!
I'm ok with this, even when I do not love more blessed options.

Less vendor fee is also a must.

One thing that have been killing my joy with UO is the time it take to craft a suit. In old days, Pre AoS, I could have time both to maintain my vendors with Tina and hunt with Freja, now stocking just one vendor with imbued suits take hours.
I login, look at this stupid vendors and end up logging out again as I do not feel for using hours to make suits. The main problem is the resist, that's the time eating part.

So one thing will really help Siege.
Increase basis resist on items from 15% to 30%, both crafter and from magic loot.
To crafted items, it would make it possible to put together a 5x70 suit without imbuing and spare the crafter for lots of time
To magic loot, it will give more useful pieces, special for newbies and young PvP'ers. Resist will still be low on most but enhancing them would make them useful, if they do not break.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why does everyone equate not having blessed items or insurance as the sole defining factor of siege? Siege in my humble newbie experience is way more than that. Siege is only having one character per account, Siege is the potential to get attacked anywhere you go. Siege is economy that isn't ravaged by inflation of scripters. Siege is shard that you cant transfer anything in to or out of. Siege has kept it's rares and event items on siege. Keeping 4 or 5 items when you die isnt going to ruin siege.

This is spot on. Siege is a lot more than just being able to dry loot everyone you can kill. As Bo stated, "he wears 12 or 13 nice items." Six piece suit, two jewels, two hands, that's ten items right there. What would it hurt, really, if say you could insure four items?

I can't imagine it would be the end of Siege if when you die, you don't lose everything. If that's true, what does that say about everything else that supposedly makes Siege special?

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, my character on Siege is Gouge[KGB].

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2. Well ya know bo wants vvv arties, hell make them wearable to anyone, could care less
3. Make stat gain faster and easier, bo found out how painful this is recently.
4. Make skill gain faster, cut rot timers all down to five minutes or less for all levels.
6. Honorable mention increase drop rates for everything, but this has been said for years and is never going to happen.
From Bo's limited knowledge of computer stuff, this doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to execute. Number 6 must be, bo's guess is it is tied to all shards, so isolating siege would be an issue.
What say you siege?? Are you lookin to step into 2018 or we still got a bunch of 98ers lookin to run this shard!
Like it all cept more blessings, but I'm flexible on that. Ideally the increased drop rates would mitigate the need for more blessings, and further lubricate the economy/get people out hunting different **** more regularly. I have been saying siege needs unique drop rates for like a decade.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play siege but stick to the shadows because I have limited play time due to real life responsibilities. I would play more if gear was a lot easier to come by and the rewards outweighed the risks. I like the Bo's suggestions

Nakukak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can support suggestion #1 fully..

About number 5, I thought we were hunting you, at least EM confirmed it.
Bo.jpg

fonsvitae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The more I think of it, the more I feel additional Siege PBD's will not only not destroy the general Siege experience, they will enhance it.

When it comes to Siege Perilous, the main thing is that one is often at risk of death and loss: this greater situation will not significantly change w/ 3 to 4 Siege PBD's as opposed to just one.

With more PBD's, more diversity for templates and their armaments will be allowed. This will increase traffic for items, starting with farming and ending with trading. All of this social and economic opportunity will help the shard; meanwhile, the main aspect of risk which Siege Perilous is known for will continue: one continues to be just as at risk as prior, just w/ 2 to 3 more protected items than before.

It is important at this point to keep in mind that Siege Perilous is not a shard where one risks everything in ones pack upon death: one risks some, granted the majority, but not all of ones belongings: additional PBD's will not break this tension created on the shard; if anything, they will allow for more general expression within a continued risky environment.

Ultima Online is an itemized game, i.e., items factor greatly into the resulting avatar... allowing for more PBD's allows for more player personality to show through: this is currently sorely lacking on Siege Perilous, where the 1 PBD allowance makes for more potential similarities than differences.

Additionally, one may temper the greater amounts of PBD's w/ an equipment damage penalty upon death: each item under PBD may be made to lose 10% of its durability upon death, with loss of its PBD status once a death occurs within the last 10% of durability (I like this idea as it adds risk to PBD's, however, I am not sure if the BS dev team can handle such a monumental programming task).

To sum up, the aim of my words is that Siege can continue to loom over players as a risky place to adventure, even with an allowance of 3 to 4 PBD's.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As a new player to Siege , Here's my 2 cents.
I both pvp and pvm.
I play solo daily on character Provincia.
Rarely see any pvp.
Rarely see anyone I should say.
Siege need more players yes , but with the current system , not attracting at all.
Todays UO about items yes, one bless isnt enought .
I farmed for my artifacts , do I want to wear them? Not really, not worth it.
Id rather play with gm crafted leather gear and go out pvp if there was more players with the same mind.
If they wanted a ''old'' uo rulseset and If it was just of me , all post AoS artifacts should of never made it to Siege, but since they did, they should increase the drop rate on them. (x2 - double drop rate would seem acceptable without breaking current economy and im sure would bring new players to siege)
Also remove the ''help stuck option'' if the character isn't truly stucked, this way it would remove the non-risk of several ''instanced'' bosses encounters.

Last edited:

wrectangle

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
As a new player to Siege , Here's my 2 cents.
I both pvp and pvm.
I play solo daily on character Provincia.
Rarely see any pvp.
Rarely see anyone I should say.
Siege need more players yes , but with the current system , not attracting at all.
Todays UO about items yes, one bless isnt enought .
I farmed for my artifacts , do I want to wear them? Not really, not worth it.
Id rather play with gm crafted leather gear and go out pvp if there was more players with the same mind.
If they wanted a ''old'' uo rulseset and If it was just of me , all post AoS artifacts should of never made it to Siege, but since they did, they should increase the drop rate on them. (x2 - double drop rate would seem acceptable without breaking current economy and im sure would bring new players to siege)
Also remove the ''help stuck option'' if the character isn't truly stucked, this way it would remove the non-risk of several ''instanced'' bosses encounters.
I've tested drop rates on many things.
I can get about 6 20% splintering weapons per hour on siege with 1370 luck.
Farming the same stuff on ATL with 1740 luck, I get about 1 20% splintering weapon every 3 hours

also cursed items don't drop on siege anymore if at all.

Don't have an accurate calculation on stated items and boss drops, but I've definitely noticed better drop qualities on siege over prodo.

so from personal experiences, I would say siege drop rate is already more than double that of prodo.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've tested drop rates on many things.
I can get about 6 20% splintering weapons per hour on siege with 1370 luck.
Farming the same stuff on ATL with 1740 luck, I get about 1 20% splintering weapon every 3 hours

also cursed items don't drop on siege anymore if at all.

Don't have an accurate calculation on stated items and boss drops, but I've definitely noticed better drop qualities on siege over prodo.

so from personal experiences, I would say siege drop rate is already more than double that of prodo.
I was more talking about artifacts drops in your backpack , not legendary artifacts lootable , but yes you are right, the fact there is no ''cursed'' property on Siege, combine that with the extra 1k luck everywhere, give an little bit extra chance at getting artifact drops from newest encounters like shadowguard, and underwater boss for exemple.
Would just be nice to have a 1 in 25 drop from crimson cincture off lady mel just as exemple, to compare it with its current 1 in 50 , if I'm not wrong, considering the risk factor to farm 50 set of keys on Siege compared to prodo shard. Hell I'm not even sure if CC rate is 1 in 50 ... it could be 1 in 100 who knows.. I just tend to have gotten mines about every 50 lady mel or so..

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no boost to siege drop rate for artifacts or special drops. Also, it has been confirmed that siege does not have the felucca 1k luck bonus.

Those are two areas that many siege vets have been advocating a change for, but because the devs won't do anything without a unified voice, nothing changes.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really think the developers might ignore any polls with just 3 votes.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really think the developers might ignore any polls with just 3 votes.
Looks like there are 12 now, probably be more after the weekend. Thank you for putting up the polls @Ezekiel Zane I was going to do this a while back but being a long time Siege member, ex shard reporter and friends with pretty much everyone on the shard, I figured it best to pass to avoid any appearance of Bias.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vote tally jumped up a fair amount overnight.

For me at least, the results so far are about what I expected.

#5 is interesting, I doubt anyone who only plays Siege would vote no on that. I know it's about getting more players to play Siege, but that trick is an abysmal failure. Plus anyone could still have a second house on Siege. It's not like anyone is saying to get rid of that. There's just too many empty, abandoned, forgotten about plots around the shard.