• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

500M+ Gold Contest - Return To West Britain Bank

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am amazed people are ragging on you for this.

Seriously, this is hilarious and a great idea.

While I am not Legendary in bank sitting yet....I could yet become it!
These are the same people that complain when their ice cream is cold.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The point is to bank at Brit... The way the prizes are going to go if your hunting and you bank alot... theres a good chance u will be in the screen shots.
No. The winners will be those parked at brit bank 23/7 burning off murder counts, or just sitting there whilst theyre at work hoping to pick up a prize.

A complete and utter waste, due to the fact that it degrades more than it accomplishes. The intention is to win people back to Brit bank ... the outcome is to have dozens of AFK people at brit bank. WHY?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Lord God the point is not to drop what your doing.
Maybe not but thats what will happen, as the other posts in this thread have already shown.

It makes no difference which town people bank sit in.

I'll assume the irony of mentioning Lord British, a character in the RP element of the game, is lost on you, given the total lack of any RP involved in materializing random segments of forest on top of a town bank. I mean what happened? Did Superman fly overhead with a portion of rain forest and drop some?

& MY point which you seem to have missed is that the event could have involved something active, with the start/middle/finish line being Brit and it would have been a LOT more beneficial to players and still promoted going to Brit, even if just for this, rather than the constant nagging/bullying/incentive type methods that have been seen since it was done.

K

Kratos Aurion

I think a better variation of this challenge would be to see who's more active versus inactive.

Limit your shard base so that players will know which shards you are frequenting (no one likes to bank sit for nothing on a shard you dont even log into), then announce you will be hiding in various random locations of the game. Everytime you see a player enter that location, take their name and screen shot. You will encounter less scripters and more honest, active players who deserve the reward versus a generous 500m donation to the scripting kit burners.

And.. So you don't get simultanious instances of the same person running back in fourth from the same location racking up points; move locations after you see a person.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tomas_Bryce you are a genious!!
i like this contest, and i hope many pp'll come back
to the oldest and best bank in UO!
thx for this contest, even if i'll not win!
really!

be safe! :)

A

AshMoney

Tomas, i really like this idea...and reading through here, it REALLY shocks me how people put u down, and mock the idea. I dont see these people out there giving out gold, or trying to organize anything at all. I mean seriously people.....do you really have to b*tch about getting FREE gold?!? I dont understand....and if you dont like the idea, or think its dumb, or watever, then DONT BANK SIT!! is it really necessary to get on and call Tomas crazy for coming up with this?

Tomas!!! More Power To You!!! :thumbsup:

M

Mirage

Tomas, i really like this idea...and reading through here, it REALLY shocks me how people put u down, and mock the idea. I dont see these people out there giving out gold, or trying to organize anything at all. I mean seriously people.....do you really have to b*tch about getting FREE gold?!? I dont understand....and if you dont like the idea, or think its dumb, or watever, then DONT BANK SIT!! is it really necessary to get on and call Tomas crazy for coming up with this?

Tomas!!! More Power To You!!! :thumbsup:
NO it's not! Will it work? Probably not, but he deserves credit for at least trying to saving one of the longest standing UO Traditions...West Brit Bank.

It could be fun, but I fear there will be some people who will figure out a way to ruin it for everyone.

If you don't want to participate, then don't. But give the guy a chance to do his thing. You're out nothing.

Mir

T

Tazar

Tomas... just for you... I tested it out last night... 8 Tazar's spamming Mirror Image...

The bank did look rather full for a few minutes... :p

T

Tazar

To those who say this is a bad contest...

I see it very much like the "win a car at the mall" contests where the last one touching it wins... Personally, I like it!

Will only the AFK-murder-count-burners win? I seriously doubt it... The additional points for talking, gating, etc. should push the real players past the afk'ers.

Despite my pointing out the potential flaw of multiple characters on multiple accounts - and mirror image, I think it will be a good thing! And Tomas certainly addressed the potential flaw fast enough. :)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see it very much like the "win a car at the mall" contests where the last one touching it wins...
Or more accurately, I see it as the person who stands in the mall for 3 weeks solid,with nothing better to do, with his hand on the car, wins.

M

Mirage

I see it very much like the "win a car at the mall" contests where the last one touching it wins...
Or more accurately, I see it as the person who stands in the mall for 3 weeks solid,with nothing better to do, with his hand on the car, wins.
And I see it as giving away 500 million gold pieces with little or no return.

But what do I know? I'm the same guy who thought Alt. Country band Reckless Kelly was a solo artist for the longest time.

Mir

Jagerstadt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's an alternative: hand out the prizes to those who run their spam scripts the most in Luna! When nobody is able to get within two screens of the bank due to the horrible lag, maybe people will start returning to WBB. :D

In a perfect world...

Honestly though, good idea...worth a shot!

T

Tazar

Originally posted by: Jagerstadt
If you click these, they turn into mighty board-flaming dragons that swing banhammers at your opponents!
I guess I am my own worst enemy... I clicked them and the computer crashed... rofl

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
]
& MY point which you seem to have missed is that the event could have involved something active, with the start/middle/finish line being Brit
There are a lot of cool ideas that I can think of implementing. However, the fact is that I do not have that much time or human resources available to dedicate to it. All I have is gold, lots and lots of gold. In the past (over a year ago), I had offered over 100M gold for players who are willing to run events. Till this date, only one player made use of that offer.

This event is designed after putting much thought behind what is realistic for me to pull with the kind of time I have. It is not the coolest or the best event but it has potential to be fun.

I also think that few of you are grossly underestimating the power of bank sitting when it comes to community building and are being overly cynical. When you think about it, a person bank sitting, PvPing, or killing Mel.. in the end we are all sitting on our asses playing UO! *shrugs*

For instance, there were close to a dozen people at 2 AM last night at Brit Bank talking about strategies to getting people back to Britain. That is the point. People are supposed to make use of my event to package their mini events at same time with it. I am just one player doing what I can. I apologize if it is not the most efficient way of doing it.

General comment:

Thanks for your support but there is no need to be tough on critics! I am a big boy and I can take it :)

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tazar I added note #6 for ya!

Reward amount has been boosted because I realized that 100M gold is so 2006.

2006? I think, if I added all them gold up I ever had in game. Since I started in 98. I still wouldn't have 100 Mil. Some times when I go back to my home shard Atlantic I stop at the Treasure Trove and look at all the stuff I can't afford. rolleyes:

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh boy oh boy!.... If this contest were held on my shard (Formosa), I'd win the first prize no questions asked, lol... (coz I've been officially noted as the bank landmark on me shard) heh...:D

Pls dont get me wrong, its not that I waste my time bank sitting, there're a number of reasons why I do, first off is I really hate spending the time turning on my computer, and there're quite a number of interesting things that can happen when u bank sit, like u'll never know whom u'll meet *wink*.... Also, this one time, I helped solve a guild's 'murder case' on my shard (someone was afk bank sitting whom got murdered by his guildie and was robbed off his stuff, I was there at the time n witnessed the whole action, since I knew the guildmaster of that guild was inquiring about whom it was, I then gave my story ... *think I should be in the witness protection program* looks left n right :p).....

Anyways, I'd say this contest isnt a bad idea (got a few spikes, but u gotta take the bitter n the sweet), and I know how rare it is to do a one-player run event for a good community involvement cause.

Good luck on the event, hope I can drop by ur shard WBbank sometime :p, boy, 50m is my 5yr's UO savings! I could do a lil shopping on Atl with that kinda gold, :D

Cheers.

M

Mirage

Oh boy oh boy!.... If this contest were held on my shard (Formosa), I'd win the first prize no questions asked, lol... (coz I've been officially noted as the bank landmark on me shard) heh...:D

Pls dont get me wrong, its not that I waste my time bank sitting, there're a number of reasons why I do, first off is I really hate spending the time turning on my computer, and there're quite a number of interesting things that can happen when u bank sit, like u'll never know whom u'll meet *wink*.... Also, this one time, I helped solve a guild's 'murder case' on my shard (someone was afk bank sitting whom got murdered by his guildie and was robbed off his stuff, I was there at the time n witnessed the whole action, since I knew the guildmaster of that guild was inquiring about whom it was, I then gave my story ... *think I should be in the witness protection program* looks left n right :p).....

Anyways, I'd say this contest isnt a bad idea (got a few spikes, but u gotta take the bitter n the sweet), and I know how rare it is to do a one-player run event for a good community involvement cause.

Good luck on the event, hope I can drop by ur shard WBbank sometime :p, boy, 50m is my 5yr's UO savings! I could do a lil shopping on Atl with that kinda gold, :D

Cheers.
WoW! That stuff never happens on my Brit Roof!

You are a very interesting man... do you drink Dos Equis?

*laughs*
Mir

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

However, the fact is that I do not have that much time or human resources available to dedicate to it.
I would think it would take less time to start and end an event than to start, check repeatedly for almost a month in the middle then end an event. But obviously only you know what time you have, & really, good luck with it all.

Though I'd also like to ask, why are you and certain others so ... enthusiastic ... about where people sit, why does it matter? It seems odd that no one is equally concerned about the other empty towns.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Start to finish requires a between too? Taking a quick screenshot/log and then extracting the information whenever I have time is lot easier.

It matters! Atlantic and few other shards were unique in this regard till recently. When old players return to game, they inevitably go to WBB. On seeing it empty, quite often they log out and cancel their subscription thinking the game is dead. I know of at least two players myself who went through this routine.

It also matters because Luna is too small and hideous, in my opinion. I also think that players should support the effort Draconi spent in decorating the banks on all the shards.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bank sitting is serious business.
*chuckles*
*guffaws*

Good stuff...I am going to start a 7th character slot...I am not really sure I have:

1. Developed the proper skill set for bank sitting
2. Devoted myself to it enough to be good enough to win prizes.

Drat.

Oh well. No time like the present, I guess.

Does anyone know the right template to be a serious bank sitter?

Any help will be greatly appreciated k thnkx.

Oh...and how much neon am I going to have to buy, anyway? I forgot about that, too.

JC is correct...this stuff gets serious Fast!!

:lol:

A guffaw is still a guffaw!

M

Mirage

Start to finish requires a between too?
Yes, though you wouldn't necessarily have to be there for it.

On seeing it empty, quite often they log out and cancel their subscription thinking the game is dead.
The same could be said for most banks. Why does it matter that its Brit specifically?
Because selling goods and bank sitting at WBB was always a UO tradition.

My God, if it bothers you that much the other banks are empty...why don't you try to populate them? Why come in here and snipe at the person who feels Brit Bank is important?

If you don't want to participate......don't! Instead you can start a crusade to repopulate Vesper ...or Trinny banks. Good luck yo you.

Mir

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Touchy much?

I'm not sniping at anyone, I asked a question.

Edit: & as to why I don't... because I don't see what it matters what banks people sit at. Hence why I'm asking.

As for tradition so were many other things like the bone knight room, but people and times move on.

M

Mirage

Touchy much?

I'm not sniping at anyone, I asked a question.

Edit: & as to why I don't... because I don't see what it matters what banks people sit at. Hence why I'm asking.

As for tradition so were many other things like the bone knight room, but people and times move on.
Good. Time for you to move on. He answered your questions.

Have a nice day.

Mir

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

The only question in the post before you began sniping.

I really don't get why you're getting all het up over what I ask him, its his event, I'm asking him questions about it. It's called a conversation.

M

Mirage

You're right. OK. But he did answer your question as to why Brit. See Below.

"It matters! Atlantic and few other shards were unique in this regard till recently. When old players return to game, they inevitably go to WBB. On seeing it empty, quite often they log out and cancel their subscription thinking the game is dead. I know of at least two players myself who went through this routine."

When people return to UO, WBB is where they go...NOT Vesper. Not Trinny! Not Jhelom..

For what it's worth, I sit at WBB a lot, and have had people ask me the same thing...."where is everyone?"

Get it now? or do you want to ask him the question a third time?

Mir

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I two have had that experience many times just hanging at Brit someone pops up and goes Wow... UO's dead... and have to explain about the invasions and people being dumb and not coming back yet... Its sad. Honestly when I came back was before the invasion I went to Brit and had it been empty I would have loged back off and not bothered again. I still think Haven and New Haven were horrible for this game... Those quests could have been put in Brit just as easily. But the old returning players go to Brit first. Not Luna many of them have never even herd of Luna and certainly don't want to go there I don't blame them.

Yay! tomorrow at midnight I get to start dropping gold!

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Get it now? or do you want to ask him the question a third time?
I've only asked "Why Brit specifically?" once. The answer you quoted was in response to "What difference does it make which town people sit in?"

shanshu

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it means that I have to sit in front of that monstrosity on Atlantic, I fear I shall remain poor.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

If you want to be technical...fine. The answer applies to both questions..ok?
Mir
I'm not being technical, I'm being straight forward. Questions are usually followed by answers. I asked a question, I got an answer, I asked another question, I got you trying to tell me what I can and can't post. I haven't asked you anything, because I don't know who you are and your opinions of it are not ones I was intrested in. I do however know Tomas this is why I was intrested in what he had to say about it.

I obviously don't agree that the answer applies to both questions this is why my second question was in response to a quoted section of his first answer. However if he feels he has already answered it then he doesn't need to reply, to be honest I wasn't expecting him to, but that was a while back now before you decided he couldn't speak for himself.

If you still feel the need to argue over the details of how and what I ask other people, then maybe we can take this to PM's. I'm sure most other people are as bored of reading this off topic back and forth as much as I am, and it doesn't need to be in this thread.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it's a great idea, and with the renovations a way to showcase the new designs.

M

Mirage

I'm not being technical, I'm being straight forward. Questions are usually followed by answers. I asked a question, I got an answer, I asked another question, I got you trying to tell me what I can and can't post. I haven't asked you anything, because I don't know who you are and your opinions of it are not ones I was intrested in. I do however know Tomas this is why I was intrested in what he had to say about it.

I obviously don't agree that the answer applies to both questions this is why my second question was in response to a quoted section of his first answer. However if he feels he has already answered it then he doesn't need to reply, to be honest I wasn't expecting him to, but that was a while back now before you decided he couldn't speak for himself.

If you still feel the need to argue over the details of how and what I ask other people, then maybe we can take this to PM's. I'm sure most other people are as bored of reading this off topic back and forth as much as I am, and it doesn't need to be in this thread.
Here's question 1:

Though I'd also like to ask, why are you and certain others so ... enthusiastic ... about where people sit, why does it matter? It seems odd that no one is equally concerned about the other empty towns.

Here's question 2:

Why does it matter that its Brit specifically?

Here is his answer:

"It matters! Atlantic and few other shards were unique in this regard till recently. When old players return to game, they inevitably go to WBB. On seeing it empty, quite often they log out and cancel their subscription thinking the game is dead. I know of at least two players myself who went through this routine."

Can you honestly say that isn't the answer to both questions? LoL

Perhaps he is not responding because he feels he has answered your question, eh?

Mir

M

Mirage

I obviously don't agree that the answer applies to both questions this is why my second question was in response to a quoted section of his first answer.
You second question was "why WBB specifically?"

"When old players return to game, they inevitably go to WBB. On seeing it empty, quite often they log out and cancel their subscription thinking the game is dead. I know of at least two players myself who went through this routine."

You're telling me that doesn't answer why WBB specifically??

Thank me very much.
Good night.
Mir

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The event started out with a blast.

I logged in to find 40+ citizens present at the bank. First set of screen shots were taken, as announced, right after midnight.

I will provide general statistics as we go to keep people updated. They will be posted in the OP.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Can you honestly say that isn't the answer to both questions? LoL
I know what I asked, I'm the one who asked it. Yes I can, the second question was based off of his answer, as I've told you several times now.

Perhaps he is not responding because he feels he has answered your question, eh?
I commented as much in my previous post.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

You're telling me that doesn't answer why WBB specifically??
That is correct. Plenty of comunities that used to hang in other towns have also dissapeared, yet a distinction has been made that Brit is worth a damn and the others aren't. This differs from my own opinion that it doesn't matter which bank people sit at.

M

Mirage

That is correct. Plenty of comunities that used to hang in other towns have also dissapeared, yet a distinction has been made that Brit is worth a damn and the others aren't. This differs from my own opinion that it doesn't matter which bank people sit at.
But, by a long count MANY more people coming back to the game go to WBB, like it always was.

He chose Brit bank because MOST people returning to the game go there!!! It's CLEAR why he thinks Brit is more important then the others.

You see it, and just want to be a fool.

But...I'm done with you now!! You're stupid, and you made me crazy....and I thought only my wife could do that these days!

So......WHATEVER!!

Mir

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

But, by a long count MANY more people coming back to the game go to WBB, like it always was.
I haven't asked you anything, because I don't know who you are and your opinions of it are not ones I was intrested in.

He chose Brit bank because MOST people returning to the game go there!!!
I haven't asked you anything, because I don't know who you are and your opinions of it are not ones I was intrested in.

It's CLEAR why he thinks Brit is more important then the others.
I obviously don't agree. This is why my second question was in response to a quoted section of his first answer. However if he feels he has already answered it then he doesn't need to reply, to be honest I wasn't expecting him to, but that was a while back now before you decided he couldn't speak for himself.

You see it, and just want to be a fool.
All I see is you sniping at someone because you haven't understood the context of what was said.

But...I'm done with you now!! You're stupid, and you made me crazy....and I thought only my wife could do that these days!
If you can't see how someone chosing to support one city and not others invokes the question I've asked then you're the one who's stupid.

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I'm not as rich as Vlad...but I will be dropping gold at Brit bank throughout the contest too..

So stay alert Sosarians!

Notrab!!