• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

500M+ Gold Contest - Return To West Britain Bank

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Results Announced

Here are the top 25 ranked people:

1) Lord Bismarck (VEW) (splits 50M gold) - claimed
1) Mirage (TDT) (splits 50M gold) -unclaimed

3) Sticky Hands
4) Aristotle
5) Dahak (TDT) - unclaimed
6) Raptor
7) Kasha
8) Amberlynn
9) Summer's Eve
10) Nu Sair (MSI) - claimed
11) Shamino
12) Bullseye
13) OCMS
14) Kwai Li Wang
15) Evil Eve (LIE) - claimed
16) Blackened
17) Merlanda
18) Sun
19) Lord Xazz
20) Rose
21) Chamberlain
22) Harry Keogh
23) Dear Prudence
24) Cat Hat
25) Demon

Top 4 Guilds

1) Hot/Heat (184 points) - claimed
2) TDT/NFD Alliance (182 points)
3) MSI (61 points)
4) VEW (59 points)

For the cloak competition

65) Beowulf (HOT/HEAT)
66) Eternal Dragon (HOT/HEAT) -- wins the cloak due to winning guild advantage of +-5 spots and being closest
67) Cradle of Filth
68) Shyla
69) Inspecta Deck -- 80th Percentile -- would have won if no one from the winning guilds in the range
70) Starlin
71) Bob (UWF)
72) UO RealEstate Co.
73) Ghetto Azn (TDT) -- would have won the cloak if TDT had won the guild competition or if Hot/Heat guys were not in the range
74) Aadealya Ashton (TDT)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This is my favorite screen shot that was taken by a friend:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legacy Post

Ever wished that you could get paid for bank sitting? Well, now you might just be able to! Read on..

The contest will span over four weeks starting 12th of May till 9nd of June on Atlantic shard. Players from other shards are most welcome.

Contest Rewards

Individual contest rewards
* 1st rank winner = 50M gold
* 5th rank winner = 30M gold
* 10th rank winner = 20M gold
* 15th rank winner = 10M gold
* 80th percentile rank winner = Royal Guard Investigator Cloak (+20 stealth) - 200M-400 Million gold value

Guild/Alliance contest rewards
* 1st place winner = 30M gold - will be rewarded to alliance leader
* The winning guild/alliance members will receive an additional benefit such that if any of its members are within +/- 5 range of 80th percentile rank, then they will win the Royal Guard Investigator prize.
* The second guild/alliance members will receive an additional benefit such that if any of its members are within +/- 4 range of 80th percentile rank, then they will win the Royal Guard Investigator prize.
* The third guild/alliance members will receive an additional benefit such that if any of its members are within +/- 3 range of 80th percentile rank, then they will win the Royal Guard Investigator prize. Members of higher ranked guild will have precedent.

Screen shot of Royal Guard Investigator
(Atlantic 2nd season EM reward)

Anyone wishing to donate gold towards the purse, please send me a PM.

Contest Rules

So, how will this contest actually work - you might be wondering? Well, it is fairly straight forward:

During the four week period, I will be randomly visiting West Britain Bank at different times during the day. At this point, I will do all names and take a screen shot around the bank. Points will be rewarded based on your presence, as follows:

Individual points
1) If your name is present in the screen shot, you will get one point and an entry will be made for your character in my logs.
2) If you have text over your head (implying that you are actually present), you will get an additional point.
3) If you are gating to some place in the screen shot, you will get an additional point.
4) If you are providing services of Pet Resurrection, you will get an additional point.

At the end of the contest, all the points will be summed up to the best of my ability.

Guild/Alliance points
1) Along with player names, there will be a compilation of points for guilds. All guilds that are part of the same alliance will count as a same entity unless a guild specifically requests to opt out. The guild/alliance score will be calculated by summing up the number of points earned by each member.

At end of the 4 week period, I will compile the points.. at which point the winners will receive the rewards.

Additional Notes
1) It is recommended that you have your guild tag on, if you are in a guild.
2) It is recommended that you make up a random guild and keep your guild tag on, if you are not in a guild.
3) There is definitely chance for error in the format.. but.. OH WELL!
4) Yes, you can get a point for being AFK. I encourage people to go AFK at Brit bank.. It is the best way to win some of the rewards!
5) I will be visiting at all times of day.. even in middle of night.. (points to note #4)
6) Attempts at being seriously cheeky could qualify you for a disqualification.
7) If you are concerned about your identity being stolen, then see note #1 and #2.

Sponsorship/Feedback/Assistance

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to make them in this thread. Random whines are welcome too as it will bump the post!

As indicated earlier, if anyone wants to donate gold (not looking for anything else) to make this even more attractive.. my ICQ is in my signature. If you don't have any gold but would like to still help then spam Luna Bank with books of this contest or gate to WBB from Luna bank during this period.

*This event is sponsored by Columbus Atlantic Player Event Fund*

Other Charity Donations (so far):
1) Vladimir will drop at least 20M+ gold in checks during the 4 weeks at random times.
2) Athelas (Treasure Trove Mall) is donating 20M gold towards the final prize
3) Anonymous donation made of 2M gold (Added to 15th list reward)

Update Center
1) Updated rewards
2) updated rule regarding guilds to reflect alliances
3) Changed the post to make it easier to read
4) Added a new reward for guild contest
5) Royal Guard Investigator reward bracket is tuned a little bit to be more flexible as I have no idea what the turnout will be like.
6) Further incentives for guild/alliance participation
7) Added pet resurrection bonus

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tomas, I love this idea. But somehow I have this funny image in my head of you trying to hand prize money to one of the winners at the end and they're AFK. And still AFK the next time you check....and the next time....and the next time.

Anyway, have fun with it.

:thumbsup:

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would be hilarious.. but I would just move to the next one down in the list! *laughs*

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

You are actually promoting something that is illegal to do in game, going afk while logged in is against the ROC and you can be banned for it.
When logged into the game you must be there and able to respond to a gm.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are actually promoting something that is illegal to do in game, going afk while logged in is against the ROC and you can be banned for it.
When logged into the game you must be there and able to respond to a gm.
WRONG...

The only time it would be illegal would be IF the person AFK were doing SOMETHING to keep themselves logged into the server. As it stands just standing there letting the people around you refresh your screen IS NOT ILLEGAL. I would strongly appreciate it if you would stop stating otherwise (IE: this is the third time that I have read this crap...third time you posted it...third time it has been rebutted.)

S

slaveone

Are you serious?!? This has got to be the dumbest idea i've ever heard of. Why not just run around like a quitting player and start dropping mils on the ground at brit bank? I doubt people will see the advantage in returning to Brit. And just giving away a prize for a week or two isn't going to help even if it brings in more peeps to brit they will leave when there are no prizes left. Sorry Bryce or whatever your name is your not the SAVIOR of brit bank get over yourself. The new moongate is nice but you can't use other gates to get to it and the hideous new bank roof is just another reason not to return. I'd rather look at a bunch of luna stores then some stupid waterfall on a roof. Sorry but FAIL!!!

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WRONG...

The only time it would be illegal would be IF the person AFK were doing SOMETHING to keep themselves logged into the server. As it stands just standing there letting the people around you refresh your screen IS NOT ILLEGAL. I would strongly appreciate it if you would stop stating otherwise (IE: this is the third time that I have read this crap...third time you posted it...third time it has been rebutted.)
You sir are correct

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*wonders how much trouble he'd get in by bringing his laptop to work to have UO running during the day*

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you serious?!? This has got to be the dumbest idea i've ever heard of. Why not just run around like a quitting player and start dropping mils on the ground at brit bank? I doubt people will see the advantage in returning to Brit. And just giving away a prize for a week or two isn't going to help even if it brings in more peeps to brit they will leave when there are no prizes left. Sorry Bryce or whatever your name is your not the SAVIOR of brit bank get over yourself. The new moongate is nice but you can't use other gates to get to it and the hideous new bank roof is just another reason not to return. I'd rather look at a bunch of luna stores then some stupid waterfall on a roof. Sorry but FAIL!!!
Who pee'd in your cornflakes today? Sheesh.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bank sitting is serious business. There used to be a guild in Moonglow that was just about sitting at the bank.

T

Tazar

Soooo.... if I park 7 or 8 Tazar's from different accounts, I can get 7 or 8 times the points? :gee:

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tazar I added note #6 for ya!

Reward amount has been boosted because I realized that 100M gold is so 2006.

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

WRONG...

So, if im wrong please explain to me how this works...

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Antzy, this has been brought up in couple of FoF and been answered few times on the forums as well. Don't worry, I am not going to ask people to break rules of the game.

You may not use a third party program or stapler on the keys to stay online. However, going afk at the bank and not getting logged off due to other people moving around you is fine.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Tazar I added note #7 for ya!

Reward amount has been boosted because I realized that 100M gold is so 2006.

Man... 100M would make you a king where I play... At least a Sultan. Something...

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a wonderful idea for a contest Tomas!
Got your books covered..

Good luck everyone!

M

Maggie

If someone from another shard wins will you deliver prize to their shard?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Antzy, this has been brought up in couple of FoF and been answered few times on the forums as well. Don't worry, I am not going to ask people to break rules of the game.

You may not use a third party program or stapler on the keys to stay online. However, going afk at the bank and not getting logged off due to other people moving around you is fine.
Not sure if these Q&A in the Knowledgebase on the official UO site help or not:

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=38

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=39

If you don't want to be bothered clicking the links, here's what the Q&A say:

QUESTION
Is it legal to macro out repetitive tasks while I am away from the game?

Answer
It is against the Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct to macro repetitive tasks while away from your PC in Ultima Online. This is what we refer to as “Unattended macroing”. Unattended macroing means being away from your UO session while your character repeats a series of actions (even automatic ones such as combat or passive skill gain) for any length of time. If your character is performing a skill or action, you must be able to respond to a Game Master when one attempts to speak to you. If you are not performing any action whatsoever, then this is not considered macroing. Remember, you have to be doing something, such as a skill, chat, or action to be in violation of our unattended macroing policy.
QUESTION
What happens if I am caught unattended macroing?

Answer
First, a GM will come to your character and check to see if you are performing an action or skill. The GMs can look at your character's scripts to see what skill you are using, or what object you are manipulating. Once a GM has determined that you are performing an action, they will appear visibly and request that you acknowledge that you are indeed at your computer. If you do not respond to the GM, they will send you to the "macro room." The "macro room" is a room in Buccaneer's Den where your player can be removed from the game instantly. In the room are five blue moongates for your character to leave with when you log back into the game. If you single click one of the moongates, you will be given a location where that particular moongate exits. There is also a sign in the middle of the room to inform you as to why you were placed in the macro room. Once you have been placed in the room, the GM will again try and communicate with you. The GM will note that you were caught macroing unattended, which character was macroing, and whether or not you were e-mailed. The only time we do not e-mail players for unattended macroing is when their e-mail address has already been proven to be invalid. Unattended macroing is illegal and will result in penalties to your account.

C

Connor_Graham

I can see the scripters writing the scripts already.....

M

Maggie

I think this is exciting. Luna is just too small for everyone and their type to fit comfortably. Even though I know it has many other amenities.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
QUESTION
Is it legal to macro out repetitive tasks while I am away from the game?

Answer
It is against the Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct to macro repetitive tasks while away from your PC in Ultima Online. This is what we refer to as “Unattended macroing”. Unattended macroing means being away from your UO session while your character repeats a series of actions (even automatic ones such as combat or passive skill gain) for any length of time. If your character is performing a skill or action, you must be able to respond to a Game Master when one attempts to speak to you. If you are not performing any action whatsoever, then this is not considered macroing. Remember, you have to be doing something, such as a skill, chat, or action to be in violation of our unattended macroing policy.
:thumbsup: :next:

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see the scripters writing the scripts already.....
Scripts for what, banksitting?

Thanks Tina for pointing that out!

If you are not performing any action whatsoever, then this is not considered macroing. Remember, you have to be doing something, such as a skill, chat, or action to be in violation of our unattended macroing policy.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Banksitting and whatever was on the list to get points for. For 50m I can certainly see a scripter setting aside one of their lumberjack or other scripts for a short time.
The rewards are more evenly distributed now. Also, guild participation has been given greater weight for the most attractive prize.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let me get this right ... youre organising a bank sitting contest?

Dont try and buff it with the 'return to West Brit Bank Contest' title. Its a bank sitting contest. Youre offering prizes to bank sit!

Just when I thought I'd seen it all.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It -is- a bank sitting contest. Who is trying to hide it?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't wait to see the scripts running.....every character will have "Blah Blah" spamming, with a non stop gate opening up....nice contest...

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't wait to see the scripts running.....every character will have "Blah Blah" spamming, with a non stop gate opening up....nice contest...
Script gating at a bank without actually being there is one of the easiest ways to get banned. And the prizes are distributed so that not just the top bank sitter gets a reward..

And remember, it is my contest and my rules. If I see someone blatantly cheating there is nothing stopping me from disqualifying them. Refer to note #6.

Some of you are just too cynical.. seriously. This is meant to be a very simple and fun thing.

Thor and Lord Drakelord: It is a season 2 Atlantic event item.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's definitely a new and very rewarding player ran event. I plan on sitting my ass off so even if I don't win, thanks for doing it.

S

Sweeney

This gimmick won't get anyone to hang out at the bank after the contest is over.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems so complicated...
You are right. The wording is not the best. I will clean it up and streamline it tomorrow! Maybe get rid of some of the silly points. Thank you for pointing it out and feel free to make specific suggestions.

This gimmick won't get anyone to hang out at the bank after the contest is over.
Good thing that it is not your time and gold then, right?! Frankly, I will be pleasantly surprised if it makes people hang out at West Britain Bank even during the contest. However, if I have fun doing it then I really could care less about anything else. Nice of you to comment though!

*ponders adding a bonus point for anyone caught yelling "I love sweeney"*

L

Limlight

I am amazed people are ragging on you for this.

Seriously, this is hilarious and a great idea.

While I am not Legendary in bank sitting yet....I could yet become it!

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Post has been updated with changes to rewards and rules.. and hopefully it is easier to follow now as well. I used highlights and underlines!

Me thinks that this is going to be close to the final set of rules. However, I am still open to feedback!

I am amazed people are ragging on you for this.
Well.. it is U.Hall after all :)

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If people do go to WWB instead of Luna for the duration of the contest.. I think it is going to be impossible to sort out who is at the bank, much less who is talking/gating during primetime.. just my $.02.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If people do go to WWB instead of Luna for the duration of the contest.. I think it is going to be impossible to sort out who is at the bank, much less who is talking/gating during primetime.. just my $.02.
Don't worry! I wrote a program to extract character names from a screen shot and insert it into a database. All in a day's work!

(ya, I am kidding)

WizzaX

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will begin moving my sofa over to wbb right next to the roof top river... =D

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are crazy! :)

One of the very first line states, "Ever wished that you could get paid for bank sitting? Well, now you might just be able to! Read on.."

I apologize if I offended you by embellishing on the title.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think its a nice idea Thomas, good on yer for doing it. Luna absolutely sucks, its the most boring designed city ever and its bank space is too small, everyone needs to move back to Brit again on all Shards, i wish that Europa would finally get its new design added.

As for the people that are whineing, no one cares for your bad thoughts, the competition is going to go ahead whether you like it or not so deal with it. Im sure Thomas has taken the appropriate measures for the competition.

K

Kratos Aurion

*off in the distance you hear...*

"UO Junkies!!! Start your scripts... annnnnd BEGIN!!!"

On second thought, why not just donate those prizes and gold to the developers to support funding for future UO projects. Just think how thrilled they would be with that wallet.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I think its a bad idea to have an event that stops people playing the game for a month. Afk or not if they're in Brit then they're not spawning, hunting or PvPing. I'm not saying everyones gonna drop what they normally do for this, like you say who knows what the turn out will be. I just think something more 'pro play the game' could have been come up with. Even exploration of weird places would benefit certain players and give them a chacne to see more than their normal few spots.

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lord God the point is not to drop what your doing. The point is to bank at Brit... The way the prizes are going to go if your hunting and you bank alot... theres a good chance u will be in the screen shots. If you gota pee... go to the bank and then go pee... If you gota mow the lawn go to the bank then go mow the lawn... if your gonna sit and spam for something join the masses at Brit and spam for it there. Sure the hard core people with nothing better to do will be there all day and get first prize but there are alot of other things that will be happening... I'll personally be dropping at least 20m in 100k checks over the 4 weeks probably alot more. And I've a feeling there will be other events happening. Now sure not everyone will get something out of this but alot of people will and at least you can get away from that ugly sandstone...

If Lord British had wanted his people to look at ugly sandstone all day. He would have built his castle in Trinsic, as it is he did not. He built his Castle in Britain.

If for no other reason come show your support for Richard Garrote and his city.