• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are we there yet?

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They are supposed have a stream soon about NL

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Don't hold your breath.
We'll all have another birthday before this ever gets released...

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not to them it isn't
I’d rather wait for NL to be done as they envision instead promising a release date and getting something incomplete.

It’s a tiny team that already manages a good handful of things while working on this on top of it all. The current shards already have plenty to do in the meantime.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forget when it was, but we had a "Midsummer' Night's Dream" event and there were new location. I wonder if this was a glimpse at NL? They teased next even to be a festival.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At this point it's vaporware until they start giving actual demos and laying out implementation details. Right now it's still in the "we're going to do some cool stuff, and it's going to be neat, and there's going to be some things. You trust us, right?"

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
At this point it's vaporware until they start giving actual demos and laying out implementation details. Right now it's still in the "we're going to do some cool stuff, and it's going to be neat, and there's going to be some things. You trust us, right?"
do you really think all this time is going to go by and they are going to just be like “oh uh we decided to like.... not make the shard anymore. Sorry lol”?

I don’t think we need to see every step of their process while it is in development. They have been doing streams updating us as to how things are going, which is new for them and appreciated. I dont see why we can’t just be patient?

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
do you really think all this time is going to go by and they are going to just be like “oh uh we decided to like.... not make the shard anymore. Sorry lol”?

I don’t think we need to see every step of their process while it is in development. They have been doing streams updating us as to how things are going, which is new for them and appreciated. I dont see why we can’t just be patient?
We haven't seen ANY step of their development process. Their streams have been extremely light on demos and details. Given their track record, it wouldn't surprise me if the direction changes and NL doesn't come to pass. They're two years into this now and the details are still extremely light and hand-wavy. How long do we have to be patient before we can expect to see some actionable results?

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hopefully there’s some gameplay in the next stream. They did show some of the seasonal change stuff but that’s not much. I’m just feeling optimistic about the whole thing but I understand there have been some bumps over the years with BS.

Dan(Tasanar)

Journeyman
Professional
UNLEASHED

uo2.png

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
lol honestly that’s a really good reply

That wasn’t Broadsword though.
Regardless, I know there’s been some failures in UO history. I just feel like NL won’t drop off like UO2 and KR. If it did, though, dam that would be sad on behalf of BS and UO and would probably get people feeling less confident in the team (than some already are). I’m hoping it works out.

Dan(Tasanar)

Journeyman
Professional
UNLEASHED
lol honestly that’s a really good reply

That wasn’t Broadsword though.
Regardless, I know there’s been some failures in UO history. I just feel like NL won’t drop off like UO2 and KR. If it did, though, dam that would be sad on behalf of BS and UO and would probably get people feeling less confident in the team (than some already are). I’m hoping it works out.
Yeah, just having some fun. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

There's actually a few instances of new UOs that never were. Ones where new game play and interfaces were shown off.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah, just having some fun. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

There's actually a few instances of new UOs that never were. Ones where new game play and interfaces were shown off.

Dam! So many false starts. I understand the pessimism a bit more now, especially from the long standing veterans of the game.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have they officially cancelled it by now? I mean last year they said it's on hold till next year and now they start the year with a castle design contest lol.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Have they officially cancelled it by now? I mean last year they said it's on hold till next year and now they start the year with a castle design contest lol.
They said it’s going to be live this year. They have also been very quiet since the new year started :/

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
when it is released this year, your “vaporware” posts are going to be pointless.
You really think it's going to be released this year?

1) Still no solid demos
2) No solid details regarding key features and systems
3) No roadmap to release
4) They just had to take a three-month break in development for "reasons"

I've been involved in SDLC long enough to know that this thing is poorly managed, has no finalized plan or backlog of work, and will get mired in development heck until it's ultimately forgotten for being way over the timeline and budget.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You really think it's going to be released this year?

1) Still no solid demos
2) No solid details regarding key features and systems
3) No roadmap to release
4) They just had to take a three-month break in development for "reasons"

I've been involved in SDLC long enough to know that this thing is poorly managed, has no finalized plan or backlog of work, and will get mired in development heck until it's ultimately forgotten for being way over the timeline and budget.
But there's gonna be snow and stuff

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What happen to snow production shards this year ?

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
But there's gonna be snow and stuff
the change in the weather is something that interests me there.
that and the surnames
in the first video it said something about crests
(not sure if that was guild crests or family crests)
which is what made me originally think, maybe those were items you would be able to take to production shards
(also thought maybe trophies)

but the latest video, Mesanna said that people have gotten the wrong idea
that you wouldn't be able to take much deco with you
(now I'm not even tempted to even try it out)

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The crest thing is one I like most. It's like a banner that you can put a little hammer on to fit your character if he were a blacksmith.

Thought I remember reading you could take certain things back to your home shard that related to your accomplishments in NL.

I like these little trinkets to decorate my mantle with.

Reactions: dvv

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lol we can't even announce what's coming in a week you expect anything about NL ..... I'd like to think that any other software would be in beta with six months or less to go...

mihali

Sage
All doomsayers and naysayers aside, deploying a new version of UO that will tend to please all sorts of psychologies and playstyles imvolved is a MASSIVE undertaking, to say the least. Deplloyimg a cookie cutter server is a snap, anyone can do it in a few minutes. But actually tweaking the content to serve the majority of players plus to be in track with promised features is another thing. Probably massive effort, that takes some time. Likely it is going to be something quite different that Fel/Tram etc. May even have new land masses/bosses rewards etc. who knows. Whatever it is they likely already know that it will likely draw lots of critique, so hopefully they will try to make it work. Allwe do is wait for now, and see what happens. When it is ready of sorts, I suspect they may place it first on TC1 and draw initial comments. We just wait and see I guess. Not much else to do for this one.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All doomsayers and naysayers aside, deploying a new version of UO that will tend to please all sorts of psychologies and playstyles involved is a MASSIVE undertaking, to say the least. Deplloyimg a cookie cutter server is a snap, anyone can do it in a few minutes. But actually tweaking the content to serve the majority of players plus to be in track with promised features is another thing. Probably massive effort, that takes some time. Likely it is going to be something quite different that Fel/Tram etc. May even have new land masses/bosses rewards etc. who knows. Whatever it is they likely already know that it will likely draw lots of critique, so hopefully they will try to make it work. Allwe do is wait for now, and see what happens. When it is ready of sorts, I suspect they may place it first on TC1 and draw initial comments. We just wait and see I guess. Not much else to do for this one.
It's not doomsaying but rather post behavior predicting future results. At best, Bonnie is a mediocre producer and frankly has no clue how to project manage SDLC for something like NL.

Look, we're two and a half years into this, and we've seen very little in the way of demos, have yet to see any idea regarding timeline, and most importantly, have not seen any solid details of what NL is. It's that last one that sets off the alarm bells. It means they either don't have a solid plan or direction and are just figuring it out as they go - now we could dive deep into SDLC and discuss how agile development isn't a bad thing, but that's not what they're doing here. If it were agile, they'd be releasing solid demos quarterly and iterating on those based on feedback. Plus, we'd still have an overall roadmap view of NL's quantifiable goals.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Toss in the fact that it's only on one new shard which is going to drain low population and it will be reset just terrible planning..

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
What are the odds when this gets released the server crashes because it can't handle the player load ?

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
What are the odds when this gets released the server crashes because it can't handle the player load ?
I give it about 5 minutes before it crashes.

(based on the first keep & castle contest on TC.
I know that first day I crashed lot.
And I don't think there were that many people doing it
compared on how many will log into NL)

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder how many of the haters will end up actually liking it.
To be honest with you In my eyes there spending a lot of time on something that will bring this game in there eyes back to life. But it wont I am not going to spend time on a shard where everything gets deleted. No point in my eyes. And I do not think it will bring alot of players back. EJ did not bring the amount they wanted back. I Open a EJ account every few months for one benefit of it. Lets me Port a new player to Heaven no mater the stones on them. So I do a idoc get over loaded with rubble I hand the 500 stones of rubble to my EJ account port back to Haven. meet up at Haven add it to my bank box or safe house.

This game is slowly ending we are in one of the death spins for this game and if it was run by anyone else the shards would have been closed by now. The only thing keeping this game alive is EA they want to have the oldest MMORPG on there books.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bonnie might just start a copy Trammel, add 4 seasons and 3 new rare colors and call it a day. Those still subscribed to UO are not there for NL but for other reasons.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
To be honest with you In my eyes there spending a lot of time on something that will bring this game in there eyes back to life. But it wont I am not going to spend time on a shard where everything gets deleted. No point in my eyes. And I do not think it will bring alot of players back. EJ did not bring the amount they wanted back. I Open a EJ account every few months for one benefit of it. Lets me Port a new player to Heaven no mater the stones on them. So I do a idoc get over loaded with rubble I hand the 500 stones of rubble to my EJ account port back to Haven. meet up at Haven add it to my bank box or safe house.

This game is slowly ending we are in one of the death spins for this game and if it was run by anyone else the shards would have been closed by now. The only thing keeping this game alive is EA they want to have the oldest MMORPG on there books.
All nl bashing aside right wrong or in different the eyes of the gaming world are upon us. You'd think the developers would be putting their best foot forward but nope same as ever threatening to delete people's homes no communication at all ....

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EJ did not bring the amount they wanted back. I Open a EJ account every few months for one benefit of it.
Oh Bonnie never was a fan of "free to play" and what they call EJ. She had to come up with a free to play version of UO though the same time as Broadsword did for DaoC. Go figure. For Bonnie it was all about keeping the status quo for vets and making EJ miserable useless apart from the most boring grinds only a bot could do.

They started the narrative that EJ is just an endless teaser to subscribe. But after having played and enjoyed many free to play titles, EJ just looks like a waste of time to me.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All nl bashing aside right wrong or in different the eyes of the gaming world are upon us. You'd think the developers would be putting their best foot forward but nope same as ever threatening to delete people's homes no communication at all ....
Go look what happened on Chessy forums on the main site. All because one player paged on a legally placed house.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Go look what happened on Chessy forums on the main site. All because one player paged on a legally placed house.
Yes that's one i was referring too... how many times does it happen and people leave without saying anything..

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder how many of the haters will end up actually liking it.
Hard to decide if people will actually like it or not when we have only vague updates of what NL will include. We've already seen this where people got all hyped up because they thought NL was going to be a place where they could play for a season and then bring back season unique items to their home shard. Then suddenly the Devs go "I don't know where you guys got that idea from, that's not how it's going to work. It's going to be cool though, you can trust us ;)".

Give us real information so we can provide real feedback.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems Google and Microsoft also figured NL is just a hoax at this point :lol:

1647876657431.png

Of course they won't get a reply from Broadsword there, but let's not go offtopic..

Last edited:
I just wish there were more schedualed updates and a timeline that they are trying to use as a goal. Many of these speculations come from just not knowing what the hell is going on. I see valid concerns about how this will affect the normal shard gameplay. Will it lead to shutting down shards and consolodating them because of low pop? Will they possibly add more char slots to accounts so if a person did level a toon on NL they would be able to actually transfer the toon to a production shard, so they will not be losing everything at least? I understand no items but the char itself. Most people do not have char slots left. Would they be able to transfer it to at least an EJ account? Lots of questions and no answers what so ever. Leads to speculation, doubt, and doomsaying because of no updates.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just wish there were more schedualed updates and a timeline that they are trying to use as a goal. Many of these speculations come from just not knowing what the hell is going on. I see valid concerns about how this will affect the normal shard gameplay. Will it lead to shutting down shards and consolodating them because of low pop? Will they possibly add more char slots to accounts so if a person did level a toon on NL they would be able to actually transfer the toon to a production shard, so they will not be losing everything at least? I understand no items but the char itself. Most people do not have char slots left. Would they be able to transfer it to at least an EJ account? Lots of questions and no answers what so ever. Leads to speculation, doubt, and doomsaying because of no updates.
Characters from NL will not be as advanced as characters on other shards, so there isn’t really much of a reason to transfer in the first place.

Some people are getting caught up over NL and it development. I personally just say let’s wait and see.

Characters from NL will not be as advanced as characters on other shards, so there isn’t really much of a reason to transfer in the first place.

Some people are getting caught up over NL and it development. I personally just say let’s wait and see.
Oh I thought they said that when I was watching one of their lives streams. It was a while ago so I could be wrong.