• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are we there yet?

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
Has any one officially announced it repeatedly for over 5yrs yet(thats a week in uo time)? I'm skeptical....

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh I thought they said that when I was watching one of their lives streams. It was a while ago so I could be wrong.
Oh no you aren’t wrong… you seemingly will be able to transfer your character. I’m just saying there wouldn’t be much of a point to it, as I see it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We will be able to transfer back a character with titles and maybe some deco items, like a banner or something.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not bagging on the article, but a good three-quarter of "what we know" is the Dev team talking out their butt with nothing to back it up. I'll be surprised if even half of that is in the game.
Because they are not the ones putting the stuff in?

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because they are not the ones putting the stuff in?
The article heavily implies that it is what will be the feature set of NL based on what Rainbows and Unicorns a certain developer has coming out of their backside. Given how easily some people get worked up, I was attempting to indicate that I KNOW the author is just the messenger and not responsible for when said developer can't accomplish half of what they think they can.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The article heavily implies that it is what will be the feature set of NL based on what Rainbows and Unicorns a certain developer has coming out of their backside. Given how easily some people get worked up, I was attempting to indicate that I KNOW the author is just the messenger and not responsible for when said developer can't accomplish half of what they think they can.
That stuff was not written by Jepeth, he just compiled what the Devs have said and put it in an easy to read form. They have been working on this for almost 5 years. Remember NL is the Biggest and Boldest Announcement from the 20th Anniversary.

Yes some things will change like game mechanics and what type of armor they decide upon.

But the armor and weapons seem like they will be pretty basic. (which I am not a fan of) So that part is not that difficult.

It should have rainbows and unicorns.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That stuff was not written by Jepeth, he just compiled what the Devs have said and put it in an easy to read form. They have been working on this for almost 5 years. Remember NL is the Biggest and Boldest Announcement from the 20th Anniversary.

Yes some things will change like game mechanics and what type of armor they decide upon.

But the armor and weapons seem like they will be pretty basic. (which I am not a fan of) So that part is not that difficult.

It should have rainbows and unicorns.
Why have we seen nothing concrete nothing with the anniversary what 5 months away and they have nothing to show ....

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why have we seen nothing concrete nothing with the anniversary what 5 months away and they have nothing to show ....
I am not a developer. There was a time when they said Diablo was down to one full time developer, and it was years before the next change.

UO has 2 code writers? Hopefully they are building this from scratch and not using old UO code.

Do the UO people we know just work on UO? Someone says they also work on DaoC. I do not know.

There was an online game that was a near copy of UO when UO came out that was written by one guy. The toons were little tiny sprites that looked like lego men.

Also I will be shocked if it is out in September. They will say they never promised it then, and move on to waiting.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am not a developer. There was a time when they said Diablo was down to one full time developer, and it was years before the next change.

UO has 2 code writers? Hopefully they are building this from scratch and not using old UO code.

Do the UO people we know just work on UO? Someone says they also work on DaoC. I do not know.

There was an online game that was a near copy of UO when UO came out that was written by one guy. The toons were little tiny sprites that looked like lego men.
You are not the slightest bit bothered by the fact that we've seen not one screenshot or video?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are videos of them in the video chats they had. They had the 4 of them doing a champ spawn. First they showed Bleak running around in the snow and other weather.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Let's say it's wildly popular and young
Paddy cakes the brave is a 7x
Gm swordsman you decide to take him back to LS with his Sword Unbreakable, The Breastplate Impenetrable, and the Helmet Invulnerable. What's the first thing that is gonna happen?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let's say it's wildly popular and young
Paddy cakes the brave is a 7x
Gm swordsman you decide to take him back to LS with his Sword Unbreakable, The Breastplate Impenetrable, and the Helmet Invulnerable. What's the first thing that is gonna happen?
They said we would only be taking titles and banners back. But, that can change.

They also changed that the characters will be deleted, which goes against the point of starting a new season.

They may dumb this down for typical UO players and will gain no new subs. Because they listen to whiners that want to not start over, the point is to start over each season!

Seasons are very popular in other games, sometimes more play the seasons than the regular constant game world.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seasons are very popular in other games, sometimes more play the seasons than the regular constant game world.
I'm not sure they are popular. Often they are perceived as a chore but people do it anyway because of FOMO.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure they are popular. Often they are perceived as a chore but people do it anyway because of FOMO.
Let's take the Diablo example. Seasons are where most play. It is UO without houses. Blizzard is now paying player game testers $20 an hour. UO has Misk.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Permanency it's what makes UO
For people who have been playing for 100 years, sure. For new players, or casual players, not so much. I imagine it really sucks to come into a game where everyone is a vet who has everything and things cost millions of gold. Yearly resets would be great for new and casual players who want to play the game without the severe handicap of not having actively played for years. I see quite a few people in discord that come in interested in NL that haven't played since 2002 or earlier, perhaps they'll find what they are looking for. I personally remain skeptical, but with such limited information an how the systems work, it's hard to say.

I would say for most of the long-time vets on these forums, your viewpoint is flawed, and try to look at it from the perspective of someone who hasn't been actively playing for years. I don't think NL is being made to please you (the vets).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think NL is being made to please you (the vets).
It is supposed to bring the account number to new heights, you can not do that by appeasing Vets. You need new players and easy to attain goals.

But, the crybabies are already out and if they continue to modify NL to please them, it will not bring in new players. Vets will stay, they do not need to make NL for us.

The more they show us, the more the same babies will cry.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let's take the Diablo example. Seasons are where most play.
Same for Fallout 76 or Destiny 2. Most people only play seasons and quit after finishing until the next season starts.

Not because they love the new content or doing the same daily tasks over and over - but because of FOMO. If they don't do the daily chores, they will miss out on pixelcrack.

People know that in general but psychology is what it is. Not sure what your point about player testers and Misk is tbh.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For people who have been playing for 100 years, sure. For new players, or casual players, not so much. I imagine it really sucks to come into a game where everyone is a vet who has everything and things cost millions of gold.
I think they realized this with NL. Just instead of throwing a new shard into the mix once every couple of years and permitting transfers in for say 6 months or a year they decided to go an a 5 year long "let's talk" hiatus. What can you do.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is supposed to bring the account number to new heights, you can not do that by appeasing Vets. You need new players and easy to attain goals.

But, the crybabies are already out and if they continue to modify NL to please them, it will not bring in new players. Vets will stay, they do not need to make NL for us.

The more they show us, the more the same babies will cry.
This is all very true. If it were up to me, I wouldn't release any more new information and I sure wouldn't listen to anyone who's already playing. They shouldn't have hyped it up when they did, but let's face it, marketing has never been UO's strong point. I think the whole "seasons" idea really has the potential of bringing in new players every year, and just that one thing alone appeals to both new and casual players. The crusty old vets like us on the forums should be happy that they are trying something to bring new blood to the game after EJ pretty much failed. I really don't like how the devs are now saying that characters won't be deleted after a year. I think that really goes against what they are trying to do with it and they did it only to try to appease people who are are not the target audience.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
September 24th, 2020 was the original announcement date - that was after a six-month delay from when they were supposed to announce it. Here we are, two years into this and it's clear they really don't know what NL is going to be. Two years and 90% of the items that UO-CAH have been tracking for us from Newsletters, M&G, etc are nothing but super high level "It's going to be cool" items that the lead producer is basically spouting off so that she sounds self-important.

Reporter: Bonnie do you exercise to stay in shape?
Bonnie: Oh yea, I do like 5000 push-ups a day, run 10 miles each morning, and can throw a VW Bug a whole half block.

Is anyone really confident that 1) anything that they've said so far is actually going to be in NL? They've already walked back several comments. 2) there is an actual plan that they're following? or 3) that this will actually launch this year as Bonnie has said?

My prediction is that yes, it will actually launch this year. However, it's going to basically be nothing but a no power scroll shard with some minor QoL enhancements, returns to a simpler item system, and is seasonal. None of their grand plans for the weather (have they mentioned any other "grand plans"?) will actually make it to live.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We can't even come up with dates for current things around the 22cd and I hear this not aimed at us or vets it's for new people and no there is no content for normal shards during this so much scuttlebutt and rumors all because the team has no clue about communication or customer service but F those bridge houses and glacial dye Fers..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is anyone really confident that 1) anything that they've said so far is actually going to be in NL? They've already walked back several comments. 2) there is an actual plan that they're following? or 3) that this will actually launch this year as Bonnie has said?
I deleted a fully typed out comment to him more than once, but from what I read, I think @Pawain believes in most of it. :beer:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What UO needs is a halfway professional producer.. not another butthurt one :lol:
Releasing information about games is unprofessional. Typically, AAA game studios don't tell you much of anything until they have a demo. Then when they have a demo, they bring in writers to play the demo and the writers go back to their office and tell you about it. They certainly don't listen to anyone's opinions except for their designers.

I've seen it tons of times with indie games. They start development, start a discord, start showcasing every feature and system, and if the game ever drops (which it often doesn't) the players are pretty much over it. There's no discovery, it makes it boring. And the ones that implement ideas from their potential players almost never get released, and if they do, they're usually trash because players aren't game designers.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Releasing information about games is unprofessional. Typically, AAA game studios don't tell you much of anything until they have a demo.
Idk, Fallout 76 (to name one) has a roadmap every year what's to come. It's not perfect of course, but I regard that as rather professional, not the opposite. Interesting how others call that unprofessional and propose to not tell anyone what's in the pipeline.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Idk, Fallout 76 (to name one) has a roadmap every year what's to come. It's not perfect of course, but I regard that as rather professional, not the opposite. Interesting how others call that unprofessional and propose to not tell anyone what's in the pipeline.
The fact that not one ounce of player feedback is being used is ridiculous basically we're being force fed mesannes vision and told like it or leave...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The fact that not one ounce of player feedback is being used is ridiculous basically we're being force fed mesannes vision and told like it or leave...
It's true. I personally didn't like it (and when I told them Petra perma banned me). So I left. It also became harder and harder to justify throwing money at OSI, as it certainly goes into the pockets of various leeches but not into improving anything UO. They will ruin NL as well. Sometimes I boot up an EJ but it's been a while as well..

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's how games work when they're under development. Name one game where developers listen to potential players on their ideas before they release... I'll wait. They've already started backtracking on characters being wiped at the end of a season because of player's whining, which is a big mistake in my opinion. If anything, listening to feedback at this stage is the exact wrong thing to do.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Let's pretend a chef is inventing some new food. Should he ask the people who frequent his restaurant what ingredients to put in it? Or should he just make it according to how he sees fit and then get opinions from people who tried it and make changes from there?
Well if he thought his customers might be allergic to garlic(non consensual pvp) he should probably ask before he makes it..

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's how games work when they're under development. Name one game where developers listen to potential players on their ideas before they release... I'll wait. They've already started backtracking on characters being wiped at the end of a season because of player's whining, which is a big mistake in my opinion. If anything, listening to feedback at this stage is the exact wrong thing to do.
As much as I think Bonnie is an extremely terrible producer, I'm actually going to agree with you on this point. Player feedback regarding specific features is a bad idea. However, the rub here is that a good producer has a pulse of the general feeling of the community (i.e. Players feel overall crafting has become too complex. Ok let's look into that. Players seem to favor these 3 champ spawns while these 2 are never completed. Ok, let's look into that). Bonnie is not doing any of that, she's listening to a select group of groupies and acting like this is a free shard.

Now I will disagree with you regarding triple A studios giving updates on expansions. I may be actually be misunderstanding you since you do call out "until there is a demo" but WoW (despite all of it's flaws) does do a good job of letting players know what new features expansions will have. Blizzard overall is actually pretty communicative when they're not harassing female interns. Bethesda is fairly communicative regarding their MMO's and upcoming changes.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let's pretend a chef is inventing some new food. Should he ask the people who frequent his restaurant what ingredients to put in it? Or should he just make it according to how he sees fit and then get opinions from people who tried it and make changes from there?
Crowd sourcing stuff like this is how you get million-dollar pieces of hardware called "Boaty McBoatface". :facepalm:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Now I will disagree with you regarding triple A studios giving updates on expansions. I may be actually be misunderstanding you since you do call out "until there is a demo" but WoW (despite all of it's flaws) does do a good job of letting players know what new features expansions will have. Blizzard overall is actually pretty communicative when they're not harassing female interns. Bethesda is fairly communicative regarding their MMO's and upcoming changes.
I agree. For an expansion, it makes sense to give updates and to hype up players to want to buy it immediately. For a new game, that doesn't work, it's been proven time and time again with these crowd sourced indie games that always leave their backers disappointed (Chronicles of Eleria and Stonehearth come to mind).

New Legacy isn't being sold as an expansion, it is essentially a new game with new systems. The systems have to work with each other or else you get garbage. The only way that works is to have a designer (or team of designers) who knows all of the systems think about it and decide how they should work. Not leave it up to players. Players are just going to want whatever gives them the most reward for as little "work" as possible.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just hope they explain how the new systems work and what we can expect after it goes live.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just hope they explain how the new systems work and what we can expect after it goes live.
Yeah, that would be a good idea. I doubt they will though. I've found that some people like to discover and some want to go to a wiki and look it up. Seems that having a wiki for people who don't want to discover things is a good idea, but the odds of BS doing that... slim to none. Luckily, it probably won't take long for Petra to get everything documented.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, that would be a good idea. I doubt they will though. I've found that some people like to discover and some want to go to a wiki and look it up. Seems that having a wiki for people who don't want to discover things is a good idea, but the odds of BS doing that... slim to none. Luckily, it probably won't take long for Petra to get everything documented.
I guess I’m more thinking of how the crafting systems will work the current system is so complicated it would take a season or two to discover how it works and even then the amount of common and rare resources need along with the recipes and where and how to obtain those items etc etc etc
And things like luck and reward point system for drops
I’m wasn’t really concerned with how to best kill xyz to get items or how to do quest. That should all be discovered by playing.

I really think this could lead to a better game if they dumb it down some.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I guess I’m more thinking of how the crafting systems will work the current system is so complicated it would take a season or two to discover how it works and even then the amount of common and rare resources need along with the recipes and where and how to obtain those items etc etc etc
And things like luck and reward point system for drops
I’m wasn’t really concerned with how to best kill xyz to get items or how to do quest. That should all be discovered by playing.

I really think this could lead to a better game if they dumb it down some.
From what has been heard and read, there will be simpler systems in NL.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
From what we know and hear over the past millennium they have an idea and that idea is in the works or so i been told for a couple years? 2030 is going to be a blast of stuff that doesn't make anything better. Honestly just deleting some of the looting shards would have been more proactive then adding another place to F off... on overboard side if they just one day deleted ATL do you know how amazing the game would be? I would need to start like 20 accs! Ahhh dreams....(watching ATL picked out of shard back pack and put in trash can) or preferred bird corpse.