• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is your CURRENT favorite taming template and why?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What gear are you using to get 3/7 fc/fcr at 176 sdi?
Human character wearing pads of the Cu.

Halo
Yukio earrings
Pendant of the Magi
Necro Phylactery
Hooks Shield
Jumu Hide
Hawkwind Robe
50 SDI book
Cuffs of the Archmage
Protector of the Battle Mage
Kelp Leggings

Ring, Bracelet and Gloves below.

1620338999673.png

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ahh you are not using one of the 20 sdi rings. If I put the 5 sdi chest on I'm at 183 sdi but my hits drop to 123. And I don't have a bracelet with phy resist on it to make up for running protection if I swap out the chest.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh you are not using one of the 20 sdi rings. If I put the 5 sdi chest on I'm at 183 sdi but my hits drop to 123. And I don't have a bracelet with phy resist on it to make up for running protection if I swap out the chest.
Yes, there are certainly some trade offs. I didn't think the extra 2 SDI was worth it for the compassions eye. Still looking for the 1/3 18SDI 15 Physical resist bracelet since switching away from the Heph shield which had the Casting and Resist so I could use a 3FCR 18 Bracelet.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Human character wearing pads of the Cu.

Halo
Yukio earrings
Pendant of the Magi
Necro Phylactery
Hooks Shield
Jumu Hide
Hawkwind Robe
50 SDI book
Cuffs of the Archmage
Protector of the Battle Mage
Kelp Leggings

Ring, Bracelet and Gloves below.

View attachment 119177
Why do you need the DCI and DI?

A guy on Atl knows how to find 18SDI only jewels or 18SDI and FCR jewels.

I bought all he had and was able to upgrade my SDI and get night sight back.

1620341530583.png

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do you need the DCI and DI?

A guy on Atl knows how to find 18SDI only jewels or 18SDI and FCR jewels.

I bought all he had and was able to upgrade my SDI and get night sight back.

View attachment 119178
The DI and DCI weren’t really a priority, just extra properties that came with what I wanted.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The DI and DCI weren’t really a priority, just extra properties that came with what I wanted.
I thought they may have been. So you could Make yourself an 18SDI 20LRC 3FCR and 1 more full property like night sight or a 14 skill. The 18SDI 3FCR was not very expensive. I am glad some players know how to get jewels with just a couple of useful properties so we can make what we want from them.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can get useful Legendary / greater 18% SDI without brittle/antique on VS.

Usually pretty cheap like a mill or so. Maxed out
LMC, LRC, INT, MR, FC or FCR.
Even found some with magery or med on. Cant find NS but not necessary on my elf.
I dont get why these super nice rings are so cheap, but I guess most people want those massive mod antiques that get used up quick.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can get useful Legendary / greater 18% SDI without brittle/antique on VS.

Usually pretty cheap like a mill or so. Maxed out
LMC, LRC, INT, MR, FC or FCR.
Even found some with magery or med on. Cant find NS but not necessary on my elf.
I dont get why these super nice rings are so cheap, but I guess most people want those massive mod antiques that get used up quick.
For me it is because I use jewelry as the finishing touch. So I need skills and random things to make the suit fit together.

For my non main mages I'll use jewels with those above, and yes they are fairly common.

Also noticed the physical resist on one above. That is something we need when using protection. I was able to remove phy resist on my new rings because I decided to enhance a piece of armor.

For Leather you can get some small Phy resist increases along with others. But if you want to go all out physical resist,
Notice spined gives +9.

If you have metal pieces, Dull Copper gives +10 Phy resist.

Another helpful hint. Have you forgot to powder a metal weapon before imbuing?
Enhance with Dull Copper for +100 Durability! Better than what it was.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a tamer with a similar build and a high SDI suit. I dropped vet for a combination of necro (just enough for wraith form) and spirit speak. This comes in handy for endless Wind or EQ clearing low level spawn or big bombs like flame strike or WOD while my pet tanks the bosses.

Between cu or triton, gift of renewal, and consume damage I just never got much out of Vet.
A Human char with just JoAT can get into Wraith Form using a scroll, and have 8% Mana Drain. That's enough to indefinitely sustain Mana when AoEing or using Death Ray most of the time. My Death Ray Tamer/Mage © utilizes that.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What do you provoke that makes this worthwhile? I see that you don't have sufficient real bard skills to use neither disco nor provo masteries.
I suspect expensive jewels to make this work.
I don't see how you can get 120/120 disco/music without antique properties though. Wont be able to disco half the stuff out there with low disco.

I've moved from expensive rings to prized/clean and instead get beefier armour and armies.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What do you provoke that makes this worthwhile? I see that you don't have sufficient real bard skills to use neither disco nor provo masteries.
I agree. I find the barding skills to not be very useful outside of training if you are not running the masteries. And even then they are questionable at best.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I suspect expensive jewels to make this work.
I don't see how you can get 120/120 disco/music without antique properties though. Wont be able to disco half the stuff out there with low disco.

I've moved from expensive rings to prized/clean and instead get beefier armour and armies.
Masteries still won't work since it's minimum 90 real skill he needs to use them.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Here's my tamer:

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Magery
120 Musicianship
120 Peacemaking

I've been told this template isn't very good, but I disagree. Peacemaking has allowed me to get away from some very sticky situations at times where I got myself in a pickle. Area peace is very underrated as an ability in my opinion. So, I run with what I like, and I like it just fine.

P.S. - Peacemaking is also great for taming new pets as far as I'm concerned. So there!

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Here's my tamer:

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Magery
120 Musicianship
120 Peacemaking

I've been told this template isn't very good, but I disagree. Peacemaking has allowed me to get away from some very sticky situations at times where I got myself in a pickle. Area peace is very underrated as an ability in my opinion. So, I run with what I like, and I like it just fine.
It's a great template for when you want to go taming stuff. I use this exact same build when I'm out taming new pets. It's not the most effective build when you are solo'ing bosses but it's more about what you are happy playing and what fits your playstyle. This build has it's place.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's my tamer:

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Magery
120 Musicianship
120 Peacemaking

P.S. - Peacemaking is also great for taming new pets as far as I'm concerned. So there!
Mine is
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Magery
120 Musicianship
120 Peacemaking
120 Discord

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How much of your gear is antique? Or better yet, what are the real skill values
Lore..........115 - 120 - Tally
Taming....115 - 120 - Tally
Vet...............94 - 120 - Jewelry
Discord......94 - 120 - Jewelry
Peace..........94 - 120 - Jewelry
Music..........94 - 120 - Jewelry
Magery....108 - 120 - Spellbook +15
All reforged Luck Suit LMC/LRC no Antique
Imbued Jewles

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I am just doing Taming a lot of times I leave the Luck Suit and wear the Saucers Suit from the clean up points

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice.

I still wanna try out the deathray tamer. That is looking like fun.
I find it to be hit or miss. Mostly miss. If your target runs out of mana you won't be leeching any. Without med you won't be getting mana back very quickly at all if you aren't able to leech it.
Definitely try it out on test center first.

lorna cook

Visitor
Not seen a build like mine yet,
Animal taming 100 (120 with ring/bracelet)
Animal Lore 102.1 (115 with ring/bracelet)
Vet 100
Margery 91
Hiding 90 (locked)
stealth 90 (locked)
herding 90 (locked
spare 56.9
Newish back so did this build purely for gathering up all the CUs out of the spawning area and in to the the safe zone

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vet 100
Margery 91
Hiding 90 (locked)
stealth 90 (locked)
herding 90 (locked
spare 56.9
Newish back so did this build purely for gathering up all the CUs out of the spawning area and in to the the safe zone
With your spare points put on ninjitsu and it's the same as by build.... Llama form for fast speed while stealthed.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vet 100
Margery 91
Hiding 90 (locked)
stealth 90 (locked)
herding 90 (locked
spare 56.9
One major problem with your build is most Tamers after they get rezed is to call their pet to protect them and then get dressed, your build is not strong enough to control any 5 slot pet and you stand a chance of it going wild depending how long you were away from it. If I remember right you can have your pet follow you as a ghost but your skills will not be high enough to do that on high end pets. Tame/Lore 115 with bird tally for 120 is a safe way to go.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Vet 100
Margery 91
Hiding 90 (locked)
stealth 90 (locked)
herding 90 (locked
spare 56.9

What are you using the Herding for? In my experience, it's generally not a very useful skill. If you want your magery to be more powerful, you should consider dropping it for Evaluate Intelligence which will boost up your Magery spell damage.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ahh missed that sentence. My fault for posting near 2am!

Never the less, I would highlight Frodo's post about pets following you when you're a ghost. If you have nearly 60 'spare' points, might not be a bad idea to invest a few into more real skills for Taming and Lore.

lorna cook

Visitor
Ahh missed that sentence. My fault for posting near 2am!

Never the less, I would highlight Frodo's post about pets following you when you're a ghost. If you have nearly 60 'spare' points, might not be a bad idea to invest a few into more real skills for Taming and Lore.
I am still working on her (only back a few months ago) I'm now 102.5 taming and 103 lore and with a bit of luck I should max them out within a month......maybe 2, I also have a 110 eval int on a stone and 100 cartography and 90 lock picking stored away on a mule

lorna cook

Visitor
Also makes it hard when you come back after years away, I had 19mil when I returned and back then it was a lot of gold, now its a drop in the ocean, I spent 10 mil on the 120 taming scroll and 1 mil on the 115 lore so don't have a whole lot left over, but I manage and I'm having fun along the way

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Which server are you on? Many of them will help get returners and new players on their feet.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
@lorna cook I have herding on a stone and find it useful at times. BTW, I apologize if I was wrong with using He. I didn't catch the name till later and realized that it is generally a female used name.

Regaws

Visitor
I'm enjoying this build so I thought I would share.

120 Animal Tame
120 Animal Lore
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Bushido
100 Parry
95 Chivalry
*after jewelry and armor skill buffs
70 All resist
120 DI / 40 LMC / 100 LRC / 4FCR / 20 ManaRegen / 45 HCI / 30 SSI Suit using some artifacts

Basically Honor Target, Send pet out to attack (Cu trained with Heal, Chiv, Armor Ignore), Enemy of One, Consecrate Weapon, Lightning Strike, Using Slayer with Mana Leech and Mage Weapon.
Heal Pet using Greater Heal and heal myself using Confidence, spamming Heal if in trouble. Pet also heals me if I get too low.
When in trouble I just run and Invis and focus on letting Pet tank and keeping aggro.
Sometimes my pet is able to solo a mob and so am I due to tankiness.
So far I've only tried this out on Ancient Wyrms, Lord of Abyss, and some Renowned monsters and it works great. Also some Paragon during Wildfire Event.

Does anyone else have a similar build? Any suggestions as to how to make this build

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I have 100 real Taming and Lore.
With imbued (one) jewel it makes 110 Lore and 112 Taming.
I switch skills to different toons.
My relaxing one is :
Peace 120 real
Music 120 real
Disco 120 real
Taming 112-115
Lore 110-115 (depends on jewels looted or imbued)
Vet 80(real) 110 jewels are ready if I need to heal pet or res it
Magery 70 (real) 100 -110 with jewels

Since PS here are easy, this temple is switched to all my toons for pet training. To disco pet or flood it with mana regen for faster skil gains.

When this toon goes for Treasure hunting I stone disco and vet and replace with remove trap and cartography. Do 3 maps at once (100 RT disables traps on them with time), then swap cartography for lock picking to open chests, and come back with beetle to loot.

Necro thrower (no vet in template) was really good for Yukio event. Real skills:
120 throwing
100 tact
99 necro
101 Chiv
100 Anat
100 taming (+10 jewels)
100 lore (+15 jewels)
Soul glaive with hit area for kappas (with beetle slayer tali) , fire one with necro slayer for lions, and another HLA/HLD for Yomotsu.

Tried mystic tamer with same taming-lore skills and didn't liked it. Cannot do melee tamer or those mage/sw tamer because of really high ping values for me on Atl (280+)

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
120 taming
110 lore
100 veterinary (for resurrecting a pet in the field)
110 magery (gate travel and greater heal)
80 meditation
100 hiding
100 stealth

Weaknesses: I can't order my pet around a lot. That would unhide me and the pet has about a 1-in-20 chance of not obeying.
Strengths: With pet in "all follow me" and "all guard me" modes I don't need to order my pet around a lot.
Note: I carry raw ribs and apples and bandages.
Note: level 2 or level 3 magery mastery for Death Ray
Note: soulstones for swapping skills. Taming a new pet, for example, I swap out meditation for herding.
Does Death ray damage depend on Eval int and level of magery? Also it would consume a lot of mana?