• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer Build

Regaws

Visitor
I'm enjoying this build so I thought I would share.

120 Animal Tame
120 Animal Lore
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Bushido
100 Parry
95 Chivalry
*after jewelry and armor skill buffs
70 All resist
120 DI / 40 LMC / 100 LRC / 4FCR / 20 ManaRegen / 45 HCI / 30 SSI Suit using some artifacts

Basically Honor Target, Send pet out to attack (Cu trained with Heal, Chiv, Armor Ignore), Enemy of One, Consecrate Weapon, Lightning Strike, Using Slayer with Mana Leech and Mage Weapon.
Heal Pet using Greater Heal and heal myself using Confidence, spamming Heal if in trouble. Pet also heals me if I get too low.
When in trouble I just run and Invis and focus on letting Pet tank and keeping aggro.
Sometimes my pet is able to solo a mob and so am I due to tankiness.
So far I've only tried this out on Ancient Wyrms, Lord of Abyss, and some Renowned monsters and it works great. Also some Paragon during Wildfire Event.

Does anyone else have a similar build? Any suggestions as to how to make this build

Attachments

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can post it in this thread and see other taming builds and maybe get some feedback.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

120 Animal Tame
120 Animal Lore
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Bushido
100 Parry
95 Chivalry
70 All resist
120 DI / 40 LMC / 100 LRC / 4FCR / 20 ManaRegen / 45 HCI / 30 SSI Suit using some artifacts

Basically Honor Target, Send pet out to attack (Cu trained with Heal, Chiv, Armor Ignore), Enemy of One, Consecrate Weapon, Lightning Strike, Using Slayer with Mana Leech and Mage Weapon.
Heal Pet using Greater Heal and heal myself using Confidence, spamming Heal if in trouble. Pet also heals me if I get too low.
When in trouble I just run and Invis and focus on letting Pet tank and keeping aggro.
Sometimes my pet is able to solo a mob and so am I due to tankiness.
So far I've only tried this out on Ancient Wyrms, Lord of Abyss, and some Renowned monsters and it works great. Also some Paragon during Wildfire Event.

Does anyone else have a similar build? Any suggestions as to how to make this build
If you're using Greater Heal for your pet then you're clearly not running Consume..so why not just put the pet on it and use Magery Mastery Death Ray ? I'm pretty sure it will deal more damage than your mage wpn will.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Are you really utilizing the Parry on your build?

Regaws

Visitor
My stats are 100str. 80int. And 80dex. Since spell damage doesn’t matter with this build main damage comes from pet attack as well as buffed lightning strike. Parry does work for sure. I’m not 100% sure if I’m maximizing parry usage @Merlin, but then again this build isn’t about maxing out one or two things. It’s more about using multiple ways to reach the same goal. It was kinda my way of making a melee/mage/tamer all in one build.

@jack flash uk when my pet dies, I gate travel us and either stone a skill and get very back on just to Rez pet, use a potion, or the stable vet. Sometimes people are just gracious enough to do it randomly. But the pet doesn’t die that often. At least not at what I generally face. And ancient wyrm is about the strongest I typically face. Or renowned in Stygian abyss.

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is, hands down, my favorite tamer template. It might not be as powerful as Tamer/SW/Mage, but it's so much fun to play.

The build heavily relies on gear. It has the flexibility to swap out Healing for Hiding or Swords for Archery. I think Swords might be slightly more practical for this build but I enjoy the playstyle of ranged better.

I mostly use a Rune Beetle for the Runic Corruption to make my shots hit harder. My backup is a Chiv/AI Cu.

I use Chiv to heal myself and also keep Divine Fury and Consecrate Weapon up 100% of the time. I run a full set of Slayer Yumi's for max swing speed.

Tactics: 100 (90 real)
Chiv: 120 (105 real)
Animal Lore: 115
Animal Taming 115 (90 real)
Vet: 90 (+10 from enhanced bandies)
Archery: 120 (95 real)
Hiding: 100
Bush: 35

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

120 Animal Tame
120 Animal Lore
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Bushido
100 Parry
95 Chivalry
70 All resist
I don't see how this would be any good for a pvm tamer build. Maybe pvp but even then there are better builds for that. And if you are not worried about needing spell damage since you are not casting to do damage why bother having 120 eval? Not being mean just curious what your thought process is for using a build like this for pvm.

Regaws

Visitor
@Cork i have 120 eval because it acts like tactics for mage weapon. I’m not sure about this, but I figure 120 magery and eval would be like having 120 swords and tactics just without the weapons special abilities.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Cork i have 120 eval because it acts like tactics for mage weapon. I’m not sure about this, but I figure 120 magery and eval would be like having 120 swords and tactics just without the weapons special abilities.
I didn't think that's how it works. I can't find any documentation supporting it either. I'm pretty sure you would still need tactics to increase weapons damage. I am not 100% sure though. Now I have something to dig in to :)

Regaws

Visitor
@Cork i think you might be right. I don’t know if it does either. The UO page description of eval int says that it acts like tactics for magery. So it boosts magery spells. Which is understandable. Mage weapon makes magery act as a weapon skill for a weapon. I was assuming that it would swap the roles of what increases your weapon damage, as it should. That’s what would make sense to me, however I think you might be right. I will be testing damage output though for sure shortly. If that’s the case, I will be scraping mage weapon, magery, and eval int for weapon skill and tactics if that’s the case. And this build would be scrapped. I really was just trying to make mage weapon work and allow me to act as a melee character and the pet supplement the lack of damage output for using magery as melee.

Regaws

Visitor
This is, hands down, my favorite tamer template. It might not be as powerful as Tamer/SW/Mage, but it's so much fun to play.

The build heavily relies on gear. It has the flexibility to swap out Healing for Hiding or Swords for Archery. I think Swords might be slightly more practical for this build but I enjoy the playstyle of ranged better.

I mostly use a Rune Beetle for the Runic Corruption to make my shots hit harder. My backup is a Chiv/AI Cu.

I use Chiv to heal myself and also keep Divine Fury and Consecrate Weapon up 100% of the time. I run a full set of Slayer Yumi's for max swing speed.

Tactics: 100 (90 real)
Chiv: 120 (105 real)
Animal Lore: 115
Animal Taming 115 (90 real)
Vet: 90 (+10 from enhanced bandies)
Archery: 120 (95 real)
Hiding: 100
Bush: 35
So I really like your idea of the Rune beetle with the debuff. I wonder what would be the best setup for a pet to give max debuffs. Like all skills/abilities to really ruin the mob your fighting?

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So I really like your idea of the Rune beetle with the debuff. I wonder what would be the best setup for a pet to give max debuffs. Like all skills/abilities to really ruin the mob your fighting?
I've heard some people recommend a Conductive Blast and Discord Triton before with 100% energy weapons. That would most likely give the lowest resists. Rune Corruption with the Rune Beetle is 50% less resists. That, plus Consecrate Weapon, makes my shots hit pretty hard.

It might do more damage but part of the appeal of this build is the maneuverability and having a mountable pet is more worthwhile to me.

For my Tamer/Mage, I alternate pets based on their main damage type compared to the lowest resists of what I'm fighting. For this character, I mostly stick with either a Rune Beetle or Fire Beatle. I also use a typical AI/Chiv Cu for if I need something a little more Tanky.

Regaws

Visitor
@Cork I can confirm that Eval Int does not affect the damage done using weapon damage. It only affects the damage from Magery spells that you cast. In fact it doesnt even affect on hit magery effects such as Hit Lightning. The mage weapon effect is really just used for pvp purposes to add defense and for training magery. Otherwise, its far less superior than any other build a person could come up with using it. No matter what way a person could build it in pvm there is always something better. The only thing that i came up with that a person could possibly want from it is that you can basically use any weapon as long as it has mage weapon on it. So there is that. But in order to have 120 skill you still have to make up for it adding +magery skill to gems or other items thus losing more stats. Im still going to try and figure out a way to make it work. Must keep testing!

Scott1234

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Balakai staff, mage weapon -0. Great for defense, PVE.
death ray (mage mastery) is a big reason to run (real) 120 magery+EI.
‘not sure your mastery plans..

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've heard some people recommend a Conductive Blast and Discord Triton before with 100% energy weapons. That would most likely give the lowest resists. Rune Corruption with the Rune Beetle is 50% less resists. That, plus Consecrate Weapon, makes my shots hit pretty hard.

It might do more damage but part of the appeal of this build is the maneuverability and having a mountable pet is more worthwhile to me.

For my Tamer/Mage, I alternate pets based on their main damage type compared to the lowest resists of what I'm fighting. For this character, I mostly stick with either a Rune Beetle or Fire Beatle. I also use a typical AI/Chiv Cu for if I need something a little more Tanky.
Archer/Tamer with a 100% Energy Damage Yumi and a 120 Disco+CB Triton works really well together. The Triton tanks the foe and debuffs them, while the Archer/Tamer delivers some serious damage with Double Shots or Armor Pierces. This provides some pretty powerful group utility as well, with the 120 Disco+CB from the Triton, and the AP debuff from the Archer/Tamer. With HML on the Yumi, Consume Damage can be maintained indefinitely during combat most of the time. The 50+ Bushido skill also allows the Archer/Tamer to use Honor to boost his damage and Luck, stacking well with a Luck suit.