• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

how do you start the shrine wars?

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only have one thing to say: If you're like me and have barely played all summer and fall, it appears you won't really be participating in the last global event over the holiday season. Oh well. It was my decision to not put the time into UO lately, so I have no one to blame but myself. But this really does make me have to consider whether or not to continue with UO because it really doesn't seem like a game for casual or even semi-casual players anymore. You either pour yourself into it or you play around the margins and stand a good chance of missing out on the global, temporary events. C'est la vie.
I predict fellowship coins and fragments will be tossed on the ground freely after the initial selling frenzy of peoples hordes of them.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Khyro Thanks!

1. Can I fight the battles that someone else used a fragment on and right before I am ready to claim a Tabard, drop a fragment on the shrine I want the Tabard to match?
2. We dont have to worry about top contributor list? Loot rights means you got credit for that Battle? Yay. (I asked for that to help NOOBs and Returner NOOBs)
3. Were the armor pieces difficult to get? If you do the 24 Battles to get the Cloak will you get a set or two?
4. Does the Virtue Title add a new Title spot so you can keep the ones you have now?
5. Are we able to get those Virtue Stones?
6. I'll make a bunch of runebooks. How many of the areas for the quests can I make runes to?

We went to at least two of the quest areas for EM Events and Shamino has been part of them. Thanks EM Thrixx!

I would rather get more Tabards and Cloaks per toon since this is a one time event but, I'm fine with that.

Love the Armor Color! Thanks to the testers for changing to a better one.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@Khyro Thanks!

1. Can I fight the battles that someone else used a fragment on and right before I am ready to claim a Tabard, drop a fragment on the shrine I want the Tabard to match?
Yes, you can drop a fragment at any time to get your title, including after killing the required masters.

2. We dont have to worry about top contributor list? Loot rights means you got credit for that Battle? Yay. (I asked for that to help NOOBs and Returner NOOBs)
Baja has had some large groups do shrines and as long as you get looting rights you get credit. Well I should say, you need individual looting rights. If you are afk in a group, and the group got credit, you will not get credit unless you did enough participation.

3. Were the armor pieces difficult to get? If you do the 24 Battles to get the Cloak will you get a set or two?
Everyone that gets contributor rights gets 1-3 artifacts. This is also how we judge if you got credit for a master kill or not. No artifacts, no credit.

4. Does the Virtue Title add a new Title spot so you can keep the ones you have now?
Yes, it is on its own line and does not take up another title.

5. Are we able to get those Virtue Stones?
Not that I've seen.

6. I'll make a bunch of runebooks. How many of the areas for the quests can I make runes to?
Several, but not all.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I only have one thing to say: If you're like me and have barely played all summer and fall, it appears you won't really be participating in the last global event over the holiday season. Oh well. It was my decision to not put the time into UO lately, so I have no one to blame but myself. But this really does make me have to consider whether or not to continue with UO because it really doesn't seem like a game for casual or even semi-casual players anymore. You either pour yourself into it or you play around the margins and stand a good chance of missing out on the global, temporary events. C'est la vie.
It has been stated that this will be going on for months... so you could actually alternate this with doing Krampus and the Artisan Festival.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see this in a different way. Usually a lot of players return October thru December just for the Halloween Dungeon, Artisan Festival and Holiday Gifts/Krampus. For the first time, the players who hold down the shards and keep the player base entertained during the rest of the year got a reward. Take your drama and threats to quit with you. Bye Bye. IMO the other parts of Rising Tide should end when 107 goes WW.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I see this in a different way. Usually a lot of players return October thru December just for the Halloween Dungeon, Artisan Festival and Holiday Gifts/Krampus. For the first time, the players who hold down the shards and keep the player base entertained during the rest of the year got a reward. Take your drama and threats to quit with you. Bye Bye. IMO the other parts of Rising Tide should end when 107 goes WW.
Absolutely! I hear it all the time, "I want to play casually, but I also want all of the rewards." If you want to play casually, you don't get everything, I don't see why that is so hard to understand. I consider myself a casual player, I don't have all the goodies. I just enjoy the time I spend playing. If it is so inconvenient to have to play the game to get all the new stuff, you really should quit. I always say that playing the game should be fun, all the stuff is just icing on the cake. If the game isn't fun for you... Don't play it.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whatever shrine you do the majority of you will keep that Title at the end. You also just get to keep 1 Title. :(
!
I was just reading over the pub notes and couldn't find anything that mentioned keeping a title.
Is this something that you learned on the test shard?
Just curious because Baja and Origin wouldn't even know that information until the end.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got the Compassionate Title on Origin by dropping a Frag at the Alter. I hadn't done the quest, nor did I kill any of the bosses (they didn't spawn because I hadn't done the quest)

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got the Compassionate Title on Origin by dropping a Frag at the Alter. I hadn't done the quest, nor did I kill any of the bosses (they didn't spawn because I hadn't done the quest)
I got a title on Origin too but it doesn't appear the drop down titles menu. With no way to shut it off i just assumed that it was a temporary title that will go away after the event is over.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got a title on Origin too but it doesn't appear the drop down titles menu. With no way to shut it off i just assumed that it was a temporary title that will go away after the event is over.
I like Titles so I think it is cool. Maybe others do not want one that can not be removed. It better stay, the other event titles we earned can be chosen still. Looks like I will transfer a bunch of fragments to other shards just to get the Title.

Maybe they will move it to the Titles menu when this is done.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm sad there is no title for chaos. :( Nothing fits me. "Stinky Pete the Chaotic" would have been boss. None of this new stuff excites me, I'll never own a hawkwind's robe, so I have no real reason to participate in the new content. The new content, however, will draw players together in a few easy to scout locations, perhaps I can lighten their loads.

On the bright side, I just logged in for a second to check my vendors and apparently, with the recent changes to my house I forget to lock down a chest which contained literally everything I owned. Now I get to get all new stuff!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am not really a titles fan could care less about them and often don't really care to have one... so not sure I care ... seems odd to give someone a title they can't control

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the bright side, I just logged in for a second to check my vendors and apparently, with the recent changes to my house I forget to lock down a chest which contained literally everything I owned. Now I get to get all new stuff!
That sux. All your stuff fit in 1 chest? :lol:

I lost a chest during a move and still have not figured out what I am missing.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
We were going to wait to release this until the patch went world-wide, but there is a lot of confusion, anger, and misinformation being toss around in this thread. There are also design decisions in Pub 107 that have changed slightly since they were originally mentioned in the publish threads on the UO forums. So we have made the decision to make our Publish 107 Jolly Roger Quest Guide available to everyone, starting today. Should anything change in the WW patch notes, we will update as necessary.

As Amber Witch above has said, this quest is pretty fun to do and has a lot of neat discovery elements. I feel you would be doing yourself a disservice if you were to jump right into the walk-through without at least attempting the quest yourself first. I would also encourage others to not post spoilers for the quest without a spoiler tag and don't give direct answers in General Chat on your Shard, which can potentially ruin it for others.

With that said, you can find a link to our quest guide here:

If you are just curious about the Tabard of Virtue, Cloak of The Virtuous, and Shrine Battles, you can use this link to jump to that section in the article, which contains very minimal quest spoilers (only some NPC names and location names):

Those of you not familiar with Blackthorn Captains or Shrine Battles may also find our companion guide useful, which details how those fights work, including all the different Master spawn types and their abilities: Blackthorn Captains and Shrine Battle Masters | uo-cah.com

All the information provided in the guide has been tested and proven by our guild on Baja the last 2 weeks. There is no speculation or guessing, only facts are provided.

Again, I highly suggest trying it first before reading the spoilers.

One thing about your guide.... Sherry's notes are different on other shards... Sonoma's are different

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
One thing about your guide.... Sherry's notes are different on other shards... Sonoma's are different
Thanks, it does seem that each shard has a randomized lute placement. I have updated the guide to indicate this.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Location on ship isnt sw its se, but thanks for a wonderful guide hadnt made it without it.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does each char have to get their own amulet or can you give it to another char?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That sux. All your stuff fit in 1 chest? :lol:

I lost a chest during a move and still have not figured out what I am missing.
I don't really own a whole lot. Had a wrestling SoT I was going to use in it. A 110 ninjitsu scroll. The rest I didn't really need. I can replace it all for 100k or less which I have so it's no big deal.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I haven't had time to play in weeks, but maybe this Saturday morning. Nobody else is on a 5:30am. Can one solo a shrine battle?

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If this helps anyone i just found out that the quest is tied to the medallion and not the character.
You'll notice the medallion will change to a different hue after the last step is completed. After that you can pass the medallion to other characters (even on different accounts) and it will work the same.

Cheers!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They been killing Captains all day on LS and did not know there is a quest. @obeeee WTF?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Note.
You may want to buy (or make with your name on it) a Lute with high charges to do the quest. It has the Number of charges it starts with and is still usable. (if you have a bard)

Can use Lolos Lute:

upload_2019-12-3_19-34-2.png

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If this helps anyone i just found out that the quest is tied to the medallion and not the character.
You'll notice the medallion will change to a different hue after the last step is completed. After that you can pass the medallion to other characters (even on different accounts) and it will work the same.

Cheers!
So you are saying that once I complete the quest and get a tabard on one character, I can give the medallion to another character and they can do shrine battles and receive a tabard without having to do the quest since they have the correct medallion?

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Merus the other chars only need to wear the medallion when they go to visit Hawkwind.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone said the Silver Tincture works on the captains. Is that true. I was using my tamer and WoD so I cant tell.

I you do the Quest on other Toons you get the Lute. So if that interests you.

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the fellowship drops from the captains are just deco? Is there somewhere I am suppose to turn them in or do something with them?

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Demz just Deco. Yooz kan playz dress up wif yooz vendurz iffn yooz wantz.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, it does seem that each shard has a randomized lute placement. I have updated the guide to indicate this.
It's even different by shard AND by facet - at least that's the case on Europa - now we just have to find that "underground castle" someplace in Felucca also ;-)

[EDIT]The Feluccan Sherry the mouse on Europa also refers to the castle Sallé Dacil in Ilshenar ... so there's probably no entrance to this 'thing' for our red 'community' ... ?![/EDIT]

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's even different by shard AND by facet - at least that's the case on Europa - now we just have to find that "underground castle" someplace in Felucca also ;-)

[EDIT]The Feluccan Sherry the mouse on Europa also refers to the castle Sallé Dacil in Ilshenar ... so there's probably no entrance to this 'thing' for our red 'community' ... ?![/EDIT]
Reds aren't known for their championing of the virtues... just saying~

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They been killing Captains all day on LS and did not know there is a quest. @obeeee WTF?
Dollar was on it big time all morning. I'll be honest, I did a stupid trade run. But as soon as people started asking, we both told them what to read to get started on the quest. The whole thing was too much to be typing in general chat all day over and over. I brought as many as I could to the shrines and the reward location, and told em to read. Also I warned everyone that popping into a shrine could be stepping into <you know what>. Only once did we gate into a large party that was ready to start.
You can lead a horse to water but...….

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone said the Silver Tincture works on the captains. Is that true. I was using my tamer and WoD so I cant tell.

I you do the Quest on other Toons you get the Lute. So if that interests you.
Exactly what I did, I got tons of those lutes.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Okay, just to be sure, without High Seas, this whole event won't be possible? No other way to get those coins to get that item?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dollar was on it big time all morning. I'll be honest, I did a stupid trade run. But as soon as people started asking, we both told them what to read to get started on the quest. The whole thing was too much to be typing in general chat all day over and over. I brought as many as I could to the shrines and the reward location, and told em to read. Also I warned everyone that popping into a shrine could be stepping into <you know what>. Only once did we gate into a large party that was ready to start.
You can lead a horse to water but...….
I had 5 in the Library. That was a huge mess they were running around clicking the Lutes randomly for a long time.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, just to be sure, without High Seas, this whole event won't be possible? No other way to get those coins to get that item?
I don't know what shard you are on but, if you are on Sonoma, I will give you the coins........just holler at me in General Chat.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
That is very nice of you Maldar! We play on Europa, but we are so fortunate that an equally nice soul gave us 16 coins to participate in this thing. Many thanks Petra! :grouphug:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
PM me if ya need any basic game stuff. I might be able to help... fer a price. ;)
I still have gold left over from when I stole your conjurer's garb at the Scalis hunt a few months ago. Thanks for the offer though!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't really own a whole lot. Had a wrestling SoT I was going to use in it. A 110 ninjitsu scroll. The rest I didn't really need. I can replace it all for 100k or less which I have so it's no big deal.
Why buy any of it, when you can stea, errr, requisition it. yeah that's it, requisition new stuffs.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
do you have to keep the lute and notes in your backpack when you fight the shrine wars?
or once the necklace has changed, you only have to wear it?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
do you have to keep the lute and notes in your backpack when you fight the shrine wars?
or once the necklace has changed, you only have to wear it?
Only need to wear the necklace to go in the Well to claim your rewards. You can pass it to other toons or do the quest with them to get more Lutes.

You can put the Lute and notes away.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
the reason I asked is my main char had music notes and a lute.
And both disappeared from her backpack
And my crafter was wearing her necklace and it is now gone.
but her lute and notes are still there

but I was able to put on the necklace that my treasure hunter had...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the reason I asked is my main char had music notes and a lute.
And both disappeared from her backpack
And my crafter was wearing her necklace and it is now gone.
but her lute and notes are still there

but I was able to put on the necklace that my treasure hunter had...
That's odd. The notes are blessed.
If you have my backpack they would be buried under the 90 things I haul around for no reason.

I have lost my gorget sooo many times in the mess when I forget to replace the necklace and die.