• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

how do you start the shrine wars?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
got bored and went over to Origin and went to all the shrines, nothing going on.
went and visited the Herald, went to the brit virtue chamber, saw the runes.
went to the shrines, placed a fragment on the ground, ground ate it, got a title..... and nothing.

i cant figure out how to start this!

hard to test it and such when i cant start it!

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bring the right color fragment to the shrine. Each virtue has an associated color. Place the fragment on the ground at the shrine, it will since into the ground if all is right. :)

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
do you place the mysterious fragments at the shrine of virtues or at the shrines that are now corrupted?

Last edited:

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bring the right color fragment to the shrine. Each virtue has an associated color. Place the fragment on the ground at the shrine, it will since into the ground if all is right. :)
We did. We brought yellow to compassion. He got the title but nothing else.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
do you have to place more than one fragment?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has anyone found out what the Jolly Roger is in reference to ? Since this is out of TC and onto the testing prodo shards, surely someone knows the final outcome of this ? I would just rather read it and be disappointed now than actually put out any effort to then be hugely disappointed.

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont know how they even tested this, I been trying for weeks and nothing works. I got the title on my character by putting stone on the ground in front of shrine but nothing else. Poor design, I dont understand why it has to be so complicated-overthought. It's like they dont want you to play

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
well i went back and put a couple more into the ground, nothing.
must need more then i have in stock.
do they all have to be the same color? im assuming so.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven't attempted any of this yet, do you get any sort of message when placing the fragment?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Believe there is some sort of quest you need to be on... However, I'm not at all stressing over it till this goes WW.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes you have to do the Quest. We always have to do a quest for these type events. The quests are never on TC. They put them in after.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did the quest on one character and was able to access the 'special' area with all of my other characters on Origin.
So it appears that you only have to do it once per shard. Possibly once per account across all shards (don't know on that one until it goes WW)

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
quest?

what quest?
i went and talked to the Herald in brit, he said go see the Monks, they rambled on about love and truth and such.
i didnt see any quest.
where the heck do you find a quest for this!?!??!

are we not suppose to be finding the glitches in this before it goes WW?
i would think not being able to find the quest or start the shrine battles would be a wrinkle we would want ironed out prior to WW release.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The quest works fine. You just have to discover what to do. The devs do not put out guides.

Dagger Isle.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Technically it isn't even a quest because there are no quests to accept from NPCs. Just a series of steps you need to figure out and complete.
Rather cryptic actually

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I figured they would add the actual Quest gumps on WW release. But maybe this is all we get.

Is there more to come on the Blackthorns Mini Quest?

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
All the information you need to do the quest is given in the text, starting with the most recent town crier article. There is some discovery needed, and you may need to put your thinking cap on, but the information is there, even if extremely subtle at times. There is no quest gump or quest log, it's a self-paced adventure. Think back to the Gumshoe quest we had last year for inspiration. This quest also follows the current storyline going on in UO, which has been expanding for the last year; it's all related.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I found out today you can only get one tabard per char so I wont even bother doing this once its worldwide. Just another thing that's better for ten + account people and screw the the rest of us crap.

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Dey uglie on da hummiez too!

Meez jus gotz help fur diz quest on da Baja. (GIRKLE UHGIN!!)
Ummm meez flappiez slabez kant wear da hawkwindz, da tabards, or da kollar. No point in dooz all dat on uh garg. Iffn yooz like da sleevelezz biker luuk on uh hummie den maybe yooz want da tabard instead. Iffn yooz like da hawkwindz betta den uhgin nerg point in doozin dis quest. To gooz wif da sleevless biker luuk yooz kan git uh title tattooed ober yooz head. Nerg girkle on dat tooz.

Meez gunna stick wif krampus und helpin da hummiez git started dat actaully want to dooz dis quest.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I found out today you can only get one tabard per char so I wont even bother doing this once its worldwide. Just another thing that's better for ten + account people and screw the the rest of us crap.
Wait, wtf?? You can only get the reward once regardless of how many shine battles you do???

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wait, wtf?? You can only get the reward once regardless of how many shine battles you do???
It is based on the Titan Invasion Model. Have to be in the top contributor list on 8 battles. We have been asking for a way to change the look of items. They wont just hand them out freely. :)

My guys who wear Hawkwinds will get one. Then I'll take my other toons and give it a try.

They would be worth a lot if they looked better.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
does it take 8 frags of the same color at right shrine or 8/one of each color at all 8 shrines? how many do you have to do to get cloak and or tabard?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
8 of any color for Tabard. I heard it may be buggy on the test shards and it takes 12.
You have to do a shrine that matches the Tabard you want. You activate the shrine Title and it gives you the one of the Title you are wearing from what I saw. I would have made it so you have to do all 8.

I don't know about the cloak. I thought it would be given out at the end of the event.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would go from Hawkwinds to Tabard:

upload_2019-12-1_12-21-54.png

I have to wear a Fancy Shirt or Elven Shirt to cover my arms since I wear Cuffs.

I can now use hair dye and it be seen. Maybe Ill buy a new hairstyle. Also my headwear can be seen.

The cloak dyes a darker color and takes the cloak slot. The cloak has no properties.
upload_2019-12-1_12-26-50.png

I wish it would take the properties of any cloak. I like it but will never wear it.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is based on the Titan Invasion Model. Have to be in the top contributor list on 8 battles. We have been asking for a way to change the look of items. They wont just hand them out freely. :)

My guys who wear Hawkwinds will get one. Then I'll take my other toons and give it a try.

They would be worth a lot if they looked better.
I have several characters who wear a hawkwinds, that doesn't mean I should have to do the quest on each one of them to get the damn reward... I should be able to do the quest 6 times with the same character if I have the fragments and get 6 rewards, then pass them out to my other characters or sell them if I want. I'm absolutely fine doing it multiple times, but having to change characters is super dumb.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have several characters who wear a hawkwinds, that doesn't mean I should have to do the quest on each one of them to get the damn reward... I should be able to do the quest 6 times with the same character if I have the fragments and get 6 rewards, then pass them out to my other characters or sell them if I want. I'm absolutely fine doing it multiple times, but having to change characters is super dumb.
Yall should be more active on the Test Forum. It was announced to be that way a while ago. Kinda late to change it now.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yall should be more active on the Test Forum. It was announced to be that way a while ago. Kinda late to change it now.
I do not see ANY information in the publish notes that indicates that rewards for the shrine battles will be limited to one per character.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
While there is a lot of misinformation in this thread, the reward is one per character. The character is defending a shrine, defending a virtue and they get rewarded with that virtues tabard. There are a lot of quests in UO (and other MMOs) where the reward is limited to one per character. This quest/reward is not out of line with that.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While there is a lot of misinformation in this thread, the reward is one per character. The character is defending a shrine, defending a virtue and they get rewarded with that virtues tabard. There are a lot of quests in UO (and other MMOs) where the reward is limited to one per character. This quest/reward is not out of line with that.
So mysterious fragments have been ingame for months on end thus year and the idea that the most any account can use is 56... and that makes sense to you.

Furthermore, there is VERY little content outside of anniversary/holiday gifts that are limited to 1 per character. Certainly not any consumable content.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Its the culmination of the past years story arc. Much like the titan invasion where a character had to receive credit for the kill and then received one reward packet. This is the same thing. Making the tabard farmable diminishes the importance of the event and the item.

Perhaps you should test the content and see how it works to determine how many fragments you might need. Like the titan battles this is meant to be group content, so lesser geared/skilled character can participate.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like the titan battles this is meant to be group content, so lesser geared/skilled character can participate.
Yup we will run everyone thru on LS. They better hurry, I go on a Cruise on Fri. 13th. Leave from Fort Lauderdale, looks like we will go into the Bermuda Triangle.

Those of you with lots of fragments will give them to the players who returned recently or who return for December. Make a Steward that give out a fragment when you say fragment. I have a soulbinder Stewart that gives a bag of 15 empties to all who ask. Between this and Krampus, we should all be in chat having fun!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Merus Yea its completely ridiculous. There is no reason to have the tabards be one per character other then to help those with tons of accounts make money off of it. I could understand the cloak being one per but not the tabard. I would like to use the the tabard instead of the ugly damn robe for hawkwinds but I guess without lots of accounts you have no influence. Typical nonsense from our bought dev team, bought by the highest bidders on accounts.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
all right so we have to place 8 stones to activate this?
so lets say i wanted to do it to get the white or black tabard, but i only have a mix of stones not 8 of the white ones or black ones.
so how would i go about doing it to get a white one.
so thats the humility shrine, so would i place the stone first or last?
how do you activate the shine war via our title?
if a shrine battle is already going do you get anything from doing it?
im guessing no?
wait..... if your on a busy shard like ATL how are you gonna be able to do this?
or can you just plant your stones at any time and jump into any fights as long as you complete 8?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We will all find out soon. Devs will be back to work tomorrow. You will want to do the majority of the first 8 at the shrine you want the Tabard to match. Whatever shrine you do the majority of you will keep that Title at the end. You also just get to keep 1 Title. :(

I talked to players on Baja in Gen Chat. You can go ask there or on Origin.

I would not start with your main toon until you know the exact details. Lets get this going!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone sparing a Hawkwinds and some of those fragments? j/k of course. I hope the next event will have a broader target audience again.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shrine Battles:
Before you do the shrine battles one of your characters must do the quest or you must have that item. In my opinion it's a really cool quest. Difficult to figure out the clues as well as the answers but I think it was well done. If you don't do the quest or have that item you won't get credit for any of the shrine battles.Once you've got that item you can hand it off to another character for them to use.

To activate the shrine battle 1 person must drop 8 fragments which spawns 3 bosses that must be killed by all. If a character does not participate in killing one of the bosses they don't get credit in that battle. On Baja everyone tries to work together and stays focused on the same boss so everyone gets credit.
If you want a tabard from that virtue shrine you must drop a fragment during one of the battles.
If you don't want a tabard but aiming for a cloak just do the battle, no need to drop anything.

Tabards:
That character must fight for that shrine (when the publish goes live to all shards from what I understand) 3 battles to be considered to have truly fought for that virtue and be eligible for a tabard. If you want a tabard from that virtue shrine you must drop a fragment during one of the battles. You don't have to drop a fragment during each of the 3 battles, only 1 of them. On Baja we're trying to do all of one shrine's battles in one night so we knock it out and get it done.

Cloak:
If a character completes one of each of the 8 virtue shrine battles, and by that I mean participates in killing each of the 3 bosses at all of the 8 shrines they can get the cloak.

Each character can get a tabard and a cloak.

*edit: Please note there are some details like how to actually get the cloak and tabard that I haven't stated as it gives away details about the quest. I don't want to spoil it for those that want to do it on their own.

Last edited:

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you must have blackthorns amulet using the fellowship coins or is there some other way?

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are low on fragments, don't worry they increased drop rates of the fragments in T-maps on origin and WW. I was getting chests with 6-8 fragments in it, seems to be like every other chest dug up you get that many. If the devs decide to screw the rest of us when this goes WW but keeping it one per char, I will tell everyone how to do the quest so that the huge account owners wont make any gold off of it.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
We were going to wait to release this until the patch went world-wide, but there is a lot of confusion, anger, and misinformation being toss around in this thread. There are also design decisions in Pub 107 that have changed slightly since they were originally mentioned in the publish threads on the UO forums. So we have made the decision to make our Publish 107 Jolly Roger Quest Guide available to everyone, starting today. Should anything change in the WW patch notes, we will update as necessary.

As Amber Witch above has said, this quest is pretty fun to do and has a lot of neat discovery elements. I feel you would be doing yourself a disservice if you were to jump right into the walk-through without at least attempting the quest yourself first. I would also encourage others to not post spoilers for the quest without a spoiler tag and don't give direct answers in General Chat on your Shard, which can potentially ruin it for others.

With that said, you can find a link to our quest guide here:

If you are just curious about the Tabard of Virtue, Cloak of The Virtuous, and Shrine Battles, you can use this link to jump to that section in the article, which contains very minimal quest spoilers (only some NPC names and location names):

https://www.uo-cah.com/pub-107/jolly-roger-quest-guide#rewards

Those of you not familiar with Blackthorn Captains or Shrine Battles may also find our companion guide useful, which details how those fights work, including all the different Master spawn types and their abilities: Blackthorn Captains and Shrine Battle Masters | uo-cah.com

All the information provided in the guide has been tested and proven by our guild on Baja the last 2 weeks. There is no speculation or guessing, only facts are provided.

Again, I highly suggest trying it first before reading the spoilers.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ya that is what im seeing as well.

if you where by yourself or just coming back you would need to go kill plunderbuckets, have a treasure hunter at your disposal and be keen and up to date on their story lines regardless of how vague they are just so you could come and do this.

its like they put a rewashed Krumus in for all the other people to do and put this shrine battle in for the 1% who don't work and can kill 8 hours a day in game.

ah well.

that or go kiss the ring of someone in game and hope they drop a couple crumbs for you so you can play.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only have one thing to say: If you're like me and have barely played all summer and fall, it appears you won't really be participating in the last global event over the holiday season. Oh well. It was my decision to not put the time into UO lately, so I have no one to blame but myself. But this really does make me have to consider whether or not to continue with UO because it really doesn't seem like a game for casual or even semi-casual players anymore. You either pour yourself into it or you play around the margins and stand a good chance of missing out on the global, temporary events. C'est la vie.
This High Seas butchery is the final nail in my UO coffin.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I only have one thing to say: If you're like me and have barely played all summer and fall, it appears you won't really be participating in the last global event over the holiday season. Oh well. It was my decision to not put the time into UO lately, so I have no one to blame but myself. But this really does make me have to consider whether or not to continue with UO because it really doesn't seem like a game for casual or even semi-casual players anymore. You either pour yourself into it or you play around the margins and stand a good chance of missing out on the global, temporary events. C'est la vie.
Players on Baja have been giving out the items from previous publishes to those that need them or missed them. They have also been sharing their fragments and inviting everyone to join in with the battles when they start one. You actually need to do very little previous content in order to do the Jolly Roger quest and get a Tabard, as long as you have a few friendly people on your shard, which I imagine most shards should hopefully have.