• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vet reward balance for younger players

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A friend that has shard shields is helping me with some items I bought off shard (I have to wait a week for the travel plans to include me)
I want 40 items to come to my home shard, but there may not be room for them all, so might have to wait for another favour in future or risk loosing all to another char I don't know so well, or just go without
Like I said my shard is quiet and no way can I buy the items I needed.
I have also learnt (go me) that only the char and the bank transfers, not pets etc like transfer tokens.
So the multi shard EM event rares guys, and shoppers use these to quickly and FREELY move items to sell on ATL for mega money, or to gather up items they need easily.
to expand on the EM point. Vets can train up chars and fire them to all shards to get to the EM events for free. and come and go for free.
Chars without shard shields have to either hope a friend can help or go without
And this is not in any way overpowered, or imbalanced
Yeah sure

This must be why the vets are so hell bent on not supporting the idea of younger players having the ability to use a scaled back version of the shard shields.

wouldn't it be lovely to do a vendor search on your home shard (Europa for me) look for a specific item, see none, see plenty on All for example. Send a char over, buy up and be home in time for tea.

Not in your lifetime Jack Flash, you are not worthy

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
IF PS were shard bound this wouldn't matter all items really should be shard bound and it would solve a lot of the smaller shards broken economy issues.the problem is that the folks who transfer a lot don't like competition they kinda want the reward with no risk so they come to Origin do spawns and poof to ATL they go

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello Lady Michelle,
No agenda I assure you. With regards to EJ housing, before I paid to return I fired up my account son EJ and was shocked, limited bank access etc and felt it was awful, but I subbed so its ok. I was trying to think what might make free to play players want to stay, but after reading all the replies I agree its a bad idea.......
Shard shields, I wanted a way to be able to enjoy shard travel like vets currently do, but to pay my way so the vets entitlements are intact, kinda like teleporters, 12th year vets get shiny ones, paying customers get rechargeable ones, was hoping for something similar and, well you saw how that went down mainly. Not that I was asking the vets permission, but getting an idea, anyone under 12 years I think like the idea, anyone over 12th no way......

these 2 posts were just after I renewed my subs, now I am a month in I have discovered things that just make me sick, and I think EJ accts are to blame..........
comes down to it really doesn't matter what you want, what I want, or even what others want. there going to do what they want reguardless if its going to bring in money

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
IF PS were shard bound this wouldn't matter all items really should be shard bound and it would solve a lot of the smaller shards broken economy issues.the problem is that the folks who transfer a lot don't like competition they kinda want the reward with no risk so they come to Origin do spawns and poof to ATL they go
Could it be the case also that if PS were shard bound, a lot of half dead or near dead shards could really become more dead? There are different ways to look at this also..

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Could it be the case also that if PS were shard bound, a lot of half dead or near dead shards could really become more dead? There are different ways to look at this also..
I Do spawns on Origin the few others that call it home do spawns on Origin i don't mind if you come to Origin to live and kill me everyday until I learn to PVP but when little i guess gangs of PKers Come to town and nothing stays on Origin that's not good so yes i would rather just have 20 good shard mates rater than visitors who take and give nothing back...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wouldn't people do what they are doing with the masteries by sending their char to the shard and eating everything they need and then going home. Sadly you could see guilds trying to control the spawns on less populated shards and running up prices. I wish UO could come up with a solution where all these needed items to play UO were more accessible to all UO players.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wouldn't people do what they are doing with the masteries by sending their char to the shard and eating everything they need and then going home. Sadly you could see guilds trying to control the spawns on less populated shards and running up prices. I wish UO could come up with a solution where all these needed items to play UO were more accessible to all UO players.
AH which leads us back to everything should be buy able in the official store i can buy anything not account bound on a "unofficial" site usually for less than the origin store since they have no interest in shutting down these other places they should join them ....

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
AH which leads us back to everything should be buy able in the official store i can buy anything not account bound on a "unofficial" site usually for less than the origin store since they have no interest in shutting down these other places they should join them .....
whats the point of even playing if everything becomes buyable in the offical store. This is a game not the mega mall of UO. whats great about this game is we all choose how we want to act and who we want to be. yes theres jerks out there ruining others play time making it harder for others to get things, but its been like this for over 21 its not going to change. play something like after life if you want a mega mall

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I honestly think becoming more reliant on the Store for decent items would be a big mistake in a game where most of us already pay monthly. On the other hand we have a huge gap between 20 year veterans and totally new players, that gap is very hard to close without help. There needs to be a balance but I'm glad it's not my job to find it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wouldn't it be like the best of both worlds as those other sites are out there and EA refuses to do anything about them by allowing those items in the online store should make more cash for EA and allow those that want to to stop using those other sites and also by making more stuff accessible to all players and not just the top end leet players would also give new players a better chance to catch up. UO needs to put a hold on bigger and better MOBs/gear to allow a catch up time for the real new players and the returning vets.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I guess they have to tread a fine line, UO is in a unique position as it's so old, I mean there is really no way anyone could expect to catch up with 20 year veterans. The problem is that the economy and inflation is the way it is because of the age of the game and there is nothing they can do about that. The player-base is hugely top-heavy now. Then of course there is Atlantic, but that problem is totally on the Devs, they allowed Atlantic to become that bloated by their own actions. :(

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree it would be very hard for a newbie to catch up to a 20 yr vet but can they even catch up to a 5 yr vet with the way UO is currently?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Lord Frodo Not without help and there are not many decent sized guilds around now, even fewer that are active and actually want new members, helping out new people can be very time consuming. :(

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know that on the less populated shards that people try to help others a lot more the the more populated shard oh I mean shards, LOL. I got help on a shard other than my home shard from players even though they knew that I was a 20 yr vet and bring stuff over in a month they still gave me basic LRC suit/ spell books and rune books to help till my stuff arrived. Atl may be the HUB of commerce but lower population shards are the true heart of UO.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Lord Frodo Yes I totally agree with you and that's why it's so damn sad that the little guys weren't taken better care of! Community is everything in UO, you see it so clearly in the Artisan Festival, the small shards do themselves so proud because they work together and look after each other.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
many people are too busy using their 5 to 10 multi chars, than to help any newbie. many new/returning players cant even get repair deeds on some shards, and other things they may need. new/returning players just need to build up chars and play/learn the game. once chars are built up, can get anything u need/want unless lazy. hard part will be finding people to learn from, hunt with. many don't want to deal with new players. if people really feel sorry for new/returning players, help them. don't cry or be lazy, you can go out and get most thing u want.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
many people are too busy using their 5 to 10 multi chars, than to help any newbie. many new/returning players cant even get repair deeds on some shards, and other things they may need. new/returning players just need to build up chars and play/learn the game. once chars are built up, can get anything u need/want unless lazy. hard part will be finding people to learn from, hunt with. many don't want to deal with new players. if people really feel sorry for new/returning players, help them. don't cry or be lazy, you can go out and get most thing u want.
I'm hoping that the new vendor that was mentioned will address this. Vendor fees as they currently are discourage the sale of items that tend to sit for a while.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
A friend that has shard shields is helping me with some items I bought off shard (I have to wait a week for the travel plans to include me)
I want 40 items to come to my home shard, but there may not be room for them all, so might have to wait for another favour in future or risk loosing all to another char I don't know so well, or just go without
Like I said my shard is quiet and no way can I buy the items I needed.
I have also learnt (go me) that only the char and the bank transfers, not pets etc like transfer tokens.
So the multi shard EM event rares guys, and shoppers use these to quickly and FREELY move items to sell on ATL for mega money, or to gather up items they need easily.
to expand on the EM point. Vets can train up chars and fire them to all shards to get to the EM events for free. and come and go for free.
Chars without shard shields have to either hope a friend can help or go without
And this is not in any way overpowered, or imbalanced
Yeah sure

This must be why the vets are so hell bent on not supporting the idea of younger players having the ability to use a scaled back version of the shard shields.

wouldn't it be lovely to do a vendor search on your home shard (Europa for me) look for a specific item, see none, see plenty on All for example. Send a char over, buy up and be home in time for tea.

Not in your lifetime Jack Flash, you are not worthy

Man, this went from a decent discussion to some whiny millennial rant.

Listen kiddo - if you are hell bent on owning shard shields then PAY for them. There are ways to do this if you think outside the box.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Listen kiddo - if you are hell bent on owning shard shields then PAY for them. There are ways to do this if you think outside the box.
But one of his main complaints is that he cannot even pay for the shields. He has absolutely no way of getting them other than wait 14 years?

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Well, there is one way to get a veteran account if you're willing to pay... pretty sure we aren't allowed to discuss that here though.
Which is the exact reason people want to keep them exclusive...this way they can charge and arm an a leg for a veteran account.

The people that argue ad naseum against letting younger accounts have shard shields are the same people selling veteran accounts for real life $$.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Which is the exact reason people want to keep them exclusive...this way they can charge and arm an a leg for a veteran account.

The people that argue ad naseum against letting younger accounts have shard shields are the same people selling veteran accounts for real life $$.
That's one heck of a generalization. An inaccurate one at that. Honestly some people should realize that sometimes people have things you don't. It's a fact of life. People who have them DID earn them by being loyal customers.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
That's one heck of a generalization. An inaccurate one at that. Honestly some people should realize that sometimes people have things you don't. It's a fact of life. People who have them DID earn them by being loyal customers.
Exactly. Let's look at the thread title to see where this all went wrong.

"Vet reward balance for younger players"

Why are we discussing "vet" rewards for "young" players... they aren't vets!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exactly. Let's look at the thread title to see where this all went wrong.

"Vet reward balance for younger players"

Why are we discussing "vet" rewards for "young" players... they aren't vets!
%100 correct and really what is was all about the OP wanting his own Shard Shields so where is the young player balance when he was what an 8 yr vet or something like that and just didn't want to wait.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

sorry about that, never drink and post when angry :)

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
%100 correct and really what is was all about the OP wanting his own Shard Shields so where is the young player balance when he was what an 8 yr vet or something like that and just didn't want to wait.
Not to mention the fact the OP was given the "numbers" with regard to how much $$$ it cost over time to be able to get shard shields as a reward, and was asked SEVERAL times to share what he thought a "fair" $$$ amount would be to be able to purchase them. A question he STILL hasn't/won't answer.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not to mention the fact the OP was given the "numbers" with regard to how much $$$ it cost over time to be able to get shard shields as a reward, and was asked SEVERAL times to share what he thought a "fair" $$$ amount would be to be able to purchase them. A question he STILL hasn't/won't answer.
Kind of makes me think this thread and the house thread he started were nothing but troll threads.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kind of makes me think this thread and the house thread he started were nothing but troll threads.
While possible, I do agree that this should be addressed in some manner. Either by giving the ability to purchase a limited shard shield that's expensively re-charged or maybe one token every 3-6 months, by giving the ability to somehow make up for the gap in years to claim older vet rewards, or making them use-able by anyone.
Along the same lines, it'd be nice if there was a turn in for vet rewards so you can make a different choice. Those physical resists robes/cloaks are pretty much useless these days.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not in a position to say what they should cost, I don't work for Broadsword, I know what I would like to pay for them....similart to rechargeable teleporters

If I remember rightly, without going back to see what you posted, you stated the cost of buying acct to the age of the shields which is not what I wanted, I want a retail version of the shields, like teleporters, I have stated this many times, but you seem to be ignoring that. And seeing as you don't work for Broadsword either I don't feel the need to negotiate with you over the matter.

I have made my request clear, and I hope the powers that be see this and consider it, and most definitely forget about your formulas and Vet demands..

Clear enough?

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not troll threads Lord Frodo, just a wish list for a returning player, I feel these would greatly improve my playing time, so I can only imagine it would also improve other returning players.

Honest intentions distorted to discredit and protect Vet privilege I think.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While possible, I do agree that this should be addressed in some manner. Either by giving the ability to purchase a limited shard shield that's expensively re-charged or maybe one token every 3-6 months, by giving the ability to somehow make up for the gap in years to claim older vet rewards, or making them use-able by anyone.
Along the same lines, it'd be nice if there was a turn in for vet rewards so you can make a different choice. Those physical resists robes/cloaks are pretty much useless these days.
AMEN I have been very outspoken that yes we need a vet turn in system. Look at all those robes we collected because there was nothing to get and now look at all the rewards that have come out in what the last 7 years.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not troll threads Lord Frodo, just a wish list for a returning player, I feel these would greatly improve my playing time, so I can only imagine it would also improve other returning players.

Honest intentions distorted to discredit and protect Vet privilege I think.
You are not a young player. You are a vet that wants everything now. Alls you are looking for are the shard shields and nothing more and you cooked up this plan to try and hide that fact. You also stated for us to come up with a price so there were two prices mentioned and you still refuse to say if the cost would be to high or not. Alls you can do is your little song and dance answer.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are not a young player. You are a vet that wants everything now. Alls you are looking for are the shard shields and nothing more and you cooked up this plan to try and hide that fact. You also stated for us to come up with a price so there were two prices mentioned and you still refuse to say if the cost would be to high or not. Alls you can do is your little song and dance answer.
I will go with what Broadsword decide, if it actually happens, and I would assume it would be a similar price to teleporter. I wish

the idea of buying an acct to use the teleporters is plain stupid, I don't want a 14 yr acct I want a scaled down shard shield option. How can you not understand this Frodo?

I want shard shields yes. All other vet rewards as far as I know are usable by all? apart form shields, so yes I want some sort of shard shields. And as suggested an inferior type that has to be ought in the store

I think you are becoming the troll as its not up to you to decide what we would have to pay

I may be wrong, but I believe you are actually on my home shard of Europa and not once have you offered to help me with some items I would like to get home, which is exactly my point about vets being selfish.
But its ok, a friend is helping me but I don't want to be a burden, if only I could buy some of my own to use

I have bought a Davies locker by the way which I am too young to claim, and its easy to get.

To answer you attack, no I am not young, and yes I want shields now, I think I made this very clear didn't it?

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not hiding anything, been very open about wanting the shield s as they are the only thing we cannot use even if given to younger players

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will go with what Broadsword decide, if it actually happens, and I would assume it would be a similar price to teleporter. I wish

the idea of buying an acct to use the teleporters is plain stupid, I don't want a 14 yr acct I want a scaled down shard shield option. How can you not understand this Frodo?

I want shard shields yes. All other vet rewards as far as I know are usable by all? apart form shields, so yes I want some sort of shard shields. And as suggested an inferior type that has to be ought in the store

I think you are becoming the troll as its not up to you to decide what we would have to pay

I may be wrong, but I believe you are actually on my home shard of Europa and not once have you offered to help me with some items I would like to get home, which is exactly my point about vets being selfish.
But its ok, a friend is helping me but I don't want to be a burden, if only I could buy some of my own to use

I have bought a Davies locker by the way which I am too young to claim, and its easy to get.

To answer you attack, no I am not young, and yes I want shields now, I think I made this very clear didn't it?
because someone being a vet hasn't offered to help you or others doesn't make them selfish. my reason for not helping others with their items on great lakes i don't travel abroad for myself so not going to do it for others plus not going to use my reward points on the shields there is better things to waste them on. also instead of accusing frodo or anyone of being selfish maybe next time say ask for help.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't think Lord Frodo on Stratics is actually the same person as Frodo who plays on Europa, I got them mixed up before too, the one on Europa sometimes goes to the Auction on Wednesdays and has a house at Ter Mur, or did have at some point?

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How would it impact current shield owners if an equal or some lesser version was sold in the store?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Transfer tokens are the fruit of the tree, not the tree itself.
none the less they are there available to all.. I have no issues with transfers my toons started On Pac then moved to Origin the day they opened transfer they have all been around the world so to speak its not the traveling that's bad i would however make everything shard bound....

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The argument is moot. Transfer tokens are a major source of income for UO. They are not going to make them available to everyone because that would reduce their income in the long run. I was shocked when they gave them to 14 year accounts. Now if someone wants to pay 100-120 per year increqse to their accounts age I am all for that. Anything less than that would be a slap in the face to all the current veterans.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The argument is moot. Transfer tokens are a major source of income for UO. They are not going to make them available to everyone because that would reduce their income in the long run. I was shocked when they gave them to 14 year accounts. Now if someone wants to pay 100-120 per year increqse to their accounts age I am all for that. Anything less than that would be a slap in the face to all the current veterans.
Players like me do not buy one shot transfer tokens, but would buy store sold shard shield (replica) items. They did it with teleporters, don't see why they wont do it with shard shields

So when I don't buy transfer tokens they get no income, I buy a set of shard shields, they get income, and I bet many others will too. just look at how many teleporters (rechargeable types) are for sale in ATL right now, they came from the store.
And this does not affect the income as players will still buy the transfer tokens for that very purpose, shard shields are not transfer tokens, they do not work the same way as you cannot "move" from one shard to another, its more of a holiday due to the item restricts and no pet rule.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Players like me do not buy one shot transfer tokens, but would buy store sold shard shield (replica) items. They did it with teleporters, don't see why they wont do it with shard shields

So when I don't buy transfer tokens they get no income, I buy a set of shard shields, they get income, and I bet many others will too. just look at how many teleporters (rechargeable types) are for sale in ATL right now, they came from the store.
And this does not affect the income as players will still buy the transfer tokens for that very purpose, shard shields are not transfer tokens, they do not work the same way as you cannot "move" from one shard to another, its more of a holiday due to the item restricts and no pet rule.
Let me get this straight you just want shard shields not transfer tokens. why didn't you just say so I would be fine if they sold deco (replica) shard shields.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I feel the main fallacy with this thread is mixing up vet rewards and shard shields. Each should be discussed on their own. But since shard shields are exclusive vet reward items, many people seem to feel there is an attack on vet rewards in general, which frankly is not the case at all.

But you fighting on lost ground, especially given most people on Stratics are vets with personal shield access, so of course they downplay it and argue to keep the status quo.

I haven't seen a single non-shield owner stating how much of a pleasure it is to ask for transfers again and again. Plenty of those with shields however say it is ;) I don't know how a friend would transfer my character for me forth and back as well. But oh well, details...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
He doesn't want decorative shard shields, he wants working ones but he doesn't want to wait X number of years to get them. @jack flash uk It's a shame you never came to the Brit bank meet on Europa, I asked you to on one of my alts a while back when I saw you at the bank nearby, the meeting is to help new and returning players. There are trustworthy people there who make regular trips to Atlantic.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He doesn't want decorative shard shields, he wants working ones but he doesn't want to wait X number of years to get them. @jack flash uk It's a shame you never came to the Brit bank meet on Europa, I asked you to on one of my alts a while back when I saw you at the bank nearby, the meeting is to help new and returning players. There are trustworthy people there who make regular trips to Atlantic.
I am still getting used to the game again, once I am all set I intend to meet up and do my bit, need to find Bobar as well :) not long now, I promise :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Bobar is at the Bank Meet every day on various alts, we look forward to seeing you! :thumbsup:

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am still getting used to the game again, once I am all set I intend to meet up and do my bit, need to find Bobar as well :) not long now, I promise :)
Bobar is at the Bank Meet every day on various alts, we look forward to seeing you! :thumbsup:
I will try to make it today

with regards to shard shields I think this has run its course, I will message Mesanna and take advise on how I can ask the question officially, thanks you all :)