• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vet reward balance for younger players

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These are some fair points for most of the vet rewards that are not as game-changing as shard shields. I certainly can not recall any other game that let's some players travel between servers for free, while it charges the other ones two times $20. Maybe you can help me with some other games practicing that?

If we were talking about neon hairs or some cool robes, I could agree with your post. But we are talking about something fundamental as free travel between servers, which should not be exclusive to only a certain group but all players alike.

If there is so little empathy in one, that he can't see how discouraging and toxic some comments in this thread are to a newer player, I can't help it any further. The OP has a valid point and some comments are all but helpful.

And I doubt anyone is trying to obsfucate his agenda. Little people have a problem with vet rewards in general. We just would like to see fair server travel for all players alike. Pretty simple concept. I never see anyone complaining about the other rewards at all.
Analogy: Say you went to Starbucks and earned a free drink via their loyalty program. You happily order a venti beverage. But wait! A barista suddenly steps in front of you and slaps the drink out of your hands! Apparently, another thirsty customer complained that you got your drink for free while they have yet to earn one and had to pay. Why do YOU deserve something when THEY still have to pay?! Oh, the humanity. Who is in the right? Well, logically the one following the rules as Starbucks laid them out. The complainer clearly hasn't "earned" their free drink yet. In general, the same applies to UO's vet rewards program.

I mention in my posts that the shard shields weren't the best idea. They've made 1 server dominant above all others (which also makes it a fairly hostile environment) and contributes to a tattered, over-inflated economy. They've also given rise to an itinerant population who trafficks in both legitimate and highly-suspect goods, mainly shuffling them off the smaller shards to feed the Atlantic monster. *insert additional EM rares arguments here* Without the shields, UO would have a very different landscape.

If you want to decry the cost of store-bought xfer tokens, send emails to EA. Remember, they are the ones who have to approve store items and (probably) set their price. Apparently, they're content with the current xfer token sales, despite the fact that there have been items undercutting potential sales for the last 7 years. (I'm betting the relative "rarity" of the shields is a factor here)

That being said, I don't foresee them going anywhere. It's hard to stuff the proverbial genie back in the bottle, especially after so many have come to rely on the shields for an "income." The backlash to shields being removed would probably cripple what little life is left. It could be a fatal blow to dying shards.

The dev team introduced the items. Don't complain about the vets who have them when the devs/EA are the ones setting the rules. They make the world, we just vacation there.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*Pokes head in thread*

Im am unsure how this thread has managed to go as long as it has gone! This is a pretty volatile subject it would seem.

Oh. +1 post count!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So then why stop here, lets give everybody access to everything and make all UO Tram Rule Set that way everybody can get everything they want/need or go anywhere they want to without any worries of any other player interfering with their game play.
Wow, go over the top much? All of that because I am not worried about new accounts having access to vet rewards? Nothing will change anyways so this whole thread is more of a pipe dream than anything else but seriously, how would it affect you? So they can place and use the different vet rewards? Doesn't sound game breaking in the least. Vet status? Doesn't make any difference to me one way or another. I don't care if someone has played since day one or only one day, I am going to treat them the same way. If they are paying a subscription, what is the harm in letting them pay Broadsword for specific items such as a shard shield? Broadsword gets more money to put into the game and the game has more players. Y'all can't take your bling with you when the lights of UO go out one day, why not share it?

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Toxic? Really? So then most MMOs with vet rewards programs must be rife with truly awful people. How devious of them for selfishly supporting a game for a length of time found rewardable by the development teams. Truly terrible human beings, the lot of them!

:rolleyes2:

This is a textbook case of ad hominem, attacking the arguer instead of the argument, which is then followed by a rather obvious false equivalence.

The development team instituted the veteran rewards, specifically calling them rewards, included them in the regular content updates - explicitly tied to subscription monies spent over time. Aside from taking suggestions for the rewards themselves, this is entirely run by the devs.

The anti-reward people try to obfuscate their real agenda (crying about not having free xfer tokens) by railing against the system they come from. The funny thing is, most vets acknowledge that shard shields weren't the best of ideas (even Mesanna said she wouldn't do them again). That being said, they aren't truly unbalancing in an actual gameplay sense, just in the sense of population and the already-terminally-ill economy. If you want something transferred to another shard, make friends with a vet who has shields.

BTW, the entitlement is coming from those who want the rewards without putting in the time they require.
LOL. First off no intelligent developer on another game would institute shard shields, it is game breaking. The reason UO is in the state of awful economy and population is low is due to shard shields. Rewards should have only ever been vanity items that are not account bound, which a lot of them are such as the mounts and soulstones and stuff. The only other reason the game is in this state is RMT sites which also takes advantages of free transfers. It literally took less then a year after shard shields for the entire economy to move to atlantic and wreck every other shard. So only person falsifying their argument is you and the rest of the entitled people. I could go on about this but Im trying to avoid more points. Ha

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL. First off no intelligent developer on another game would institute shard shields, it is game breaking. The reason UO is in the state of awful economy and population is low is due to shard shields. Rewards should have only ever been vanity items that are not account bound, which a lot of them are such as the mounts and soulstones and stuff. The only other reason the game is in this state is RMT sites which also takes advantages of free transfers. It literally took less then a year after shard shields for the entire economy to move to atlantic and wreck every other shard. So only person falsifying their argument is you and the rest of the entitled people. I could go on about this but Im trying to avoid more points. Ha
:facepalm:

Did you bother to read my posts where I agree that shields weren't a good idea? I know reading comprehension is a lost art these days, but damn..

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LMAO So the current state of UO is because of all the entitled people that you hate so much but yet you want to become one now that is truly priceless.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, go over the top much? All of that because I am not worried about new accounts having access to vet rewards? Nothing will change anyways so this whole thread is more of a pipe dream than anything else but seriously, how would it affect you? So they can place and use the different vet rewards? Doesn't sound game breaking in the least. Vet status? Doesn't make any difference to me one way or another. I don't care if someone has played since day one or only one day, I am going to treat them the same way. If they are paying a subscription, what is the harm in letting them pay Broadsword for specific items such as a shard shield? Broadsword gets more money to put into the game and the game has more players. Y'all can't take your bling with you when the lights of UO go out one day, why not share it?
Did you even bother to read what you wrote "New and returning players are so far behind that it isn't even funny." They are behind in everything and just having the shields is not going to magically bring them up to speed, they need access to everything and to make sure they can get it all then it needs to be unfettered access so we don't hear more whining that johnny has more than they do.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
For me personally, shard shields are the biggest mistake ever made by any Dev team, they destroyed the economy. I would be happy if they just removed them. I'm only at 10 years in Vet rewards but I can promise when my account is old enough to have them I will not be getting any. It's the principle of the thing, I hate them. Other people can do as they choose, but you only have to ask yourself why it's the single most valued thing to newer players, they just can't wait to get them. Vet rewards should be like the store, in a subscription game the store should just be fluff items, vet rewards should be the same, nothing that gives a game advantage.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:facepalm:

Did you bother to read my posts where I agree that shields weren't a good idea? I know reading comprehension is a lost art these days, but damn..
Hehe, you should know by now Dot, that if a post makes absolute sense and doesn't bad mouth any side...….then it gets passed over as they don't know how to respond to common sense. :gee:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Analogy: Say you went to Starbucks and earned a free drink via their loyalty program. You happily order a venti beverage. But wait! A barista suddenly steps in front of you and slaps the drink out of your hands! Apparently, another thirsty customer complained that you got your drink for free while they have yet to earn one and had to pay. Why do YOU deserve something when THEY still have to pay?! Oh, the humanity. Who is in the right? Well, logically the one following the rules as Starbucks laid them out. The complainer clearly hasn't "earned" their free drink yet. In general, the same applies to UO's vet rewards program.
Nobody wants to take something away from anyone, so I don't quite understand what "slaps the drink out of your hand" should relate to.

I've also not seen a single barista telling me I have to wait 14 years to be eligible to buy a drink :) But then, Starbucks is not UO.

Please save those flawed analogies. Not looking forward to bend them over and over until they support one's point.

The OP even said he does not want it for free but only a reasonable way to buy into shard travel.

And since we are talking about reading comprehension as well: You also didn't name any other games with vet reward that let one half of the people travel servers for free, while the other half has to pay $20 for one trip. Maybe you just over-read that question, but I'm looking forward to your answer there:

Toxic? Really? So then most MMOs with vet rewards programs must be rife with truly awful people. How devious of them for selfishly supporting a game for a length of time found rewardable by the development teams. Truly terrible human beings, the lot of them!
Again: We are not alking about some titles, a neon horse or some cool robe. We are talking about something fundamental as free travel between servers. Something you seem to over-simplify with those analogies. Nobody is saying that veteran rewards in general are a bad idea, but you try to twist our words with some super sketchy analogies to make it sound so.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For me personally, shard shields are the biggest mistake ever made by any Dev team, they destroyed the economy. I would be happy if they just removed them. I'm only at 10 years in Vet rewards but I can promise when my account is old enough to have them I will not be getting any. It's the principle of the thing, I hate them. Other people can do as they choose, but you only have to ask yourself why it's the single most valued thing to newer players, they just can't wait to get them. Vet rewards should be like the store, in a subscription game the store should just be fluff items, vet rewards should be the same, nothing that gives a game advantage.
Mistakes can be made. The true misery is that they don't intend to correct them. Server travel is a normal thing in most games. If it's available to all alike, it does not do any harm at all.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@petemage Yes! That's the part I just do not understand, in other games if the Dev team make a major mistake they admit they got it wrong and they correct that mistake. They don't just bury their heads in the sand and let it go on and on until everything is irreversibly broken! :(

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
To the idea that new and returning players are so behind. Ludicrous! you can buy transfers, agreed price should go down on those.

No one ever got anything by comparing themselves to the Joneses but envy and unhappiness.

Go play the game and focus on having fun, find a niche of UO you enjoy. Don’t focus on what you don’t have except to make a plan to achieve it. I lost everything in a house decay but got most things I wanted back in 2 years of very casual game play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Housing in Endless Journey
This link is the main reason I'm against shard shields being for everyone or sold in the stores.July 19th he wants housing for endless journeys. Then he creates this tread July 21 wanting the shard shields.no offense nor I'm not accusing because I have no idea his agenda, but this is what I think free endless journey accounts you get free housing, you buy shard shields you get free transfer tokens.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Shard shields were put in the game as a way to allow people to leave dying shards and to move to more populated shards.
This created a bunch of issues when people started using it for gain instead.

A normal game would have shutdown shards and forcefully moved all players on that shard onto another shard. (SWTOR, Planetside 2 etc)

This is not possible due the housing system and how people get attached to their house, spot and neighbors.

I've proposed a "house turn-in system" to try to decrease the "Impact" of a forceful move, which is based on :
- size of original plot + how long it has stood. With favor towards the length of how long the house stood. (honestly, a paying member who paid for a small house has the same value as a castle for Broadsword).

On the receiving shard, there will be set aside special areas. Very well designed + decoed that will be only available to those that have the house credits. Think of it as abyss-value plots.
The turn in credits can be used to select a plot and import your items from the old house from a "transfer"-crate. If your house was customized, said customization should be transfered.

These houses will never decay (as a sort of trade-off from not being able to place on that plot again). But if your account isnt subbed, the house cant be entered.
To avoid this turning into a ghost-town if someone removes such a house. Broadsword could re-fill plots through competitions or special events, or wait until next shard merger.

People who have RP towns / guild towns can re-create their towns in these areas, or eventually buy or trade plots to normal areas.
Will it be the same? No, but it will allow controlled migration of populations from "dying" shards.

Shields wouldnt be necessary , and could be exchanged for new rewards.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:popcorn:

I would transfer my house to a more populated shard if they offered complete house transfers.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Did you even bother to read what you wrote "New and returning players are so far behind that it isn't even funny." They are behind in everything and just having the shields is not going to magically bring them up to speed, they need access to everything and to make sure they can get it all then it needs to be unfettered access so we don't hear more whining that johnny has more than they do.
Thank you for proving my point, it won't bring them up to speed on everything so what difference does it make if they purchase them from Broadsword and bring in more money? It will allow them to travel to different shards to buy things or try them out without having to grind new characters and Broadsword will have more money to spend on UO and hopefully more subscriptions. Do these vet rewards actually make you feel special? Wow, the things people need to feel important and good about themselves.

"I am a VET, I have EARNED it by having the OPPORTUNITY and ABILITY to PAY for 20 years so no one else should be able to use my BLING!"

There is no way to predict when UO will end but odds are UO won't be around for new players to get shard shields and other non-game breaking rewards such as light houses and Davey Jones Locker, etc. I admire how many of the VETS are so welcoming to our new and returning player base by trying to keep them from being able to purchase and use them. Key word being PURCHASE, not given. No wonder UO is in the sad shape that it is.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This link is the main reason I'm against shard shields being for everyone or sold in the stores.July 19th he wants housing for endless journeys. Then he creates this tread July 21 wanting the shard shields.no offense nor I'm not accusing because I have no idea his agenda, but this is what I think free endless journey accounts you get free housing, you buy shard shields you get free transfer tokens.
EJ accounts should not have access to any of that, but subscription based accounts should be able to purchase vet rewards from Broadsword.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you for proving my point, it won't bring them up to speed on everything so what difference does it make if they purchase them from Broadsword and bring in more money? It will allow them to travel to different shards to buy things or try them out without having to grind new characters and Broadsword will have more money to spend on UO and hopefully more subscriptions. Do these vet rewards actually make you feel special? Wow, the things people need to feel important and good about themselves.

"I am a VET, I have EARNED it by having the OPPORTUNITY and ABILITY to PAY for 20 years so no one else should be able to use my BLING!"

There is no way to predict when UO will end but odds are UO won't be around for new players to get shard shields and other non-game breaking rewards such as light houses and Davey Jones Locker, etc. I admire how many of the VETS are so welcoming to our new and returning player base by trying to keep them from being able to purchase and use them. Key word being PURCHASE, not given. No wonder UO is in the sad shape that it is.
I would be fine with a limited shield like the vet token being available in the store for $10. One use, round trip.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
@petemage Yes! That's the part I just do not understand, in other games if the Dev team make a major mistake they admit they got it wrong and they correct that mistake. They don't just bury their heads in the sand and let it go on and on until everything is irreversibly broken! :(
Hence why Mesanna is the worst thing ever to happen to Ultima Online. She's and her team have done irreversible damage to the game, and there appears to be no oversight.

Introducing an item for free like shard shields when a similar item (Transfer Tokens) is generating $$ via UO Store. Sorry but "Your fired!" (For your utter stupidity). Think of how much money UO has lost that could have been generated via Transfer tokens but they never received because players had Shard Shields to use...

It's baffling, and speaks volumes about the vision, and competency as those who are in control of the game.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Get rid of shard shields and transfer tolkens altogether.

Only allow a once a year 1 character transfer one way for $99.99

Problem solved.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hence why Mesanna is the worst thing ever to happen to Ultima Online. She's and her team have done irreversible damage to the game, and there appears to be no oversight.

Introducing an item for free like shard shields when a similar item (Transfer Tokens) is generating $$ via UO Store. Sorry but "Your fired!" (For your utter stupidity). Think of how much money UO has lost that could have been generated via Transfer tokens but they never received because players had Shard Shields to use...

It's baffling, and speaks volumes about the vision, and competency as those who are in control of the game.
My understanding is that Bonnie and her team have no interest earning more than the bottom line EA sets, since they are not seeing any of the surplus anyway. At least that's the only explanation I have for how they introduced EJ..

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

If your going to fire anyone start firing EA the owners who own UO who control all of UO who make the decisions who have the last word who approve anything created for UO.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Lady Michelle

I’m sure who every Bonnie reports to at BS has no clue about how UO works let alone the person at BS that reports to at EA. They all rely on Bonnie to know what’s best.

That’s how most management positions these days work here in the USA a lot of very incompetent people relying on each other and hanging on to their jobs/ positions by the seat of their pants.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nobody wants to take something away from anyone, so I don't quite understand what "slaps the drink out of your hand" should relate to.
Slapping the drink out of your hand relates to those who want the vet program ended.

I've also not seen a single barista telling me I have to wait 14 years to be eligible to buy a drink :) But then, Starbucks is not UO.
The length of time, or the amount of monies involved, is irrelevant to the argument. The programs are fundamentally the same, people being rewarded for spending a predetermined amount of money. UO is just subscription price x 12 months, while Starbucks tracks "purchase points" up to 125. Both require consistent purchases to earn the rewards.

The OP even said he does not want it for free but only a reasonable way to buy into shard travel.

And since we are talking about reading comprehension as well: You also didn't name any other games with vet reward that let one half of the people travel servers for free, while the other half has to pay $20 for one trip. Maybe you just over-read that question, but I'm looking forward to your answer there:
The whole shields (either to remove or to add to the store) is the real reason this thread exists. Some have simply wrapped up in the flimsy vet entitlement argument as an obfuscation.

The OP can buy xfer tokens, he simply doesn't like the price. That's on him. Take it up with EA, but whining about it here is just peeing into the wind. If he wants a debate that the devs might consider responding to, he'd have to take it to the official forums.

I also see no reason to "answer" the shard shield issue. I've already said they were a bad idea more than once, way to gloss over that btw. Frankly, there are two issues in this thread, feelings about vet rewards in general and shard shields specifically, that are separate-but-related arguments.

People need to stop conflating the existence of the vet reward program with the deeper issues surrounding a single divisive entry.

People also seem to ignore their ability to befriend vets with the shields and send items along with them. More than one vet on here has offered such a service. Just have to choose someone trustworthy.

Again: We are not alking about some titles, a neon horse or some cool robe. We are talking about something fundamental as free travel between servers. Something you seem to over-simplify with those analogies. Nobody is saying that veteran rewards in general are a bad idea, but you try to twist our words with some super sketchy analogies to make it sound so.
The analogy was for vet rewards, NOT SHARD SHIELDS. And, yes, several people have said that vet rewards are bad, entitlements, woe be to the noobs who can never catch up, etc. Wanting vet rewards to be sold in the store essentially makes the program pointless, why earn something when you can just throw cash at it?
Again, complain to EA...or Mesanna...about shard shields. Doing it here is just :stir: poop.png :bdh:

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I just checked a few places and tolkens have doubled in last few months

I’m sure they will drop again, not like UO is getting popular again

o_O

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@skett I think Rob Denton CEO Broardsword (Co-founder Mythic, Lead Programmer DAoC and Warhammer) know a little more about online games then you might think.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@skett I think Rob Denton CEO Broardsword (Co-founder Mythic, Lead Programmer DAoC and Warhammer) know a little more about online games then you might think.
I’m not going to pretend to know Rob Denton but isn’t he the guy that doesn’t acknowledge UO.
I have read a few negative things here about him, not saying there true.
Maybe he does know UO we’ll not sure why he would let shard shields in game though, they seem to have had a negative impact and he never ordered them removed.

Maybe he is just to busy sailing this big ship to fix this issue. (Seems to have a few leaks)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’m not going to pretend to know Rob Denton but isn’t he the guy that doesn’t acknowledge UO.
Maybe he does know UO we’ll not sure why he would let shard shields in game though, they seem to have had a negative impact and he never ordered them removed.

Maybe he is just to busy sailing this big ship to fix this issue. (Seems to have a few leaks)

BS does not own UO or DAoC they just manage it for EA. We do not know who thought of the Shard Shields but to say they are a Game Changer and that they ruined UO IMHO is total bull crap. Xfer Tokens were around a long time before the Shields and you could get them cheap from other sites and they didn't ruin UO. People and their Pets are worthless without PSs but you don't see all the whining about them being "Game Changers" now why is that. IMHO long time vets got a reward that if you know anything about EA had to be approved by them and now we have some people here trying to stir the pot again just like when they first came out. There are people giving free rides to other shards and alls you have to do is ask in Gen Chat if anybody is going to a shard you want. Sorry if you feel that it aint fair just because you can't be just like the Jones but guess what the Jones had to wait and earn their stuff so they could be like the Browns but we all know that people now a days think everything is owed to them.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Vet rewards are fine the shields terrible terrible idea why not something fantastic like ability to place castle etc in malas or other lands this is badass says I've done my time yet affects no one else....

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Slapping the drink out of your hand relates to those who want the vet program ended.

[...]

The analogy was for vet rewards, NOT SHARD SHIELDS. And, yes, several people have said that vet rewards are bad, entitlements, woe be to the noobs who can never catch up, etc. Wanting vet rewards to be sold in the store essentially makes the program pointless, why earn something when you can just throw cash at it?
Well, then we were indeed talking about different things. I was talking about the topic the OP set. Never did the OP request for the removal of the vet rewards in general, but then I can't read minds and see those hidden agendas you find :tinhat:. I guess there is no point going on when we are clearly discussing different topics.
Like 90% of all UHall content. We all know nothing is going to change by our discussions here, so why discuss things at all, huh? I'm sorry if this somehow offends you, but I will continue posting my opinion on things on this *discussion board*

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

If I had to work with Mesanna I would be tired of UO too ;)

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
BS does not own UO or DAoC they just manage it for EA. We do not know who thought of the Shard Shields but to say they are a Game Changer and that they ruined UO IMHO is total bull crap. Xfer Tokens were around a long time before the Shields and you could get them cheap from other sites and they didn't ruin UO. People and their Pets are worthless without PSs but you don't see all the whining about them being "Game Changers" now why is that. IMHO long time vets got a reward that if you know anything about EA had to be approved by them and now we have some people here trying to stir the pot again just like when they first came out. There are people giving free rides to other shards and alls you have to do is ask in Gen Chat if anybody is going to a shard you want. Sorry if you feel that it aint fair just because you can't be just like the Jones but guess what the Jones had to wait and earn their stuff so they could be like the Browns but we all know that people now a days think everything is owed to them.
Yesterday I logged into a couple of my accounts (these 2 are 14 plus years old) just to check rewards I had remaining on those 2 accounts and combined I can collect 31 shard shield (I have other accounts as well they are not my oldest). So I do not feel it’s unfair for me nor am I try to keep up with Johns, Browns or Smiths I have my original account I created in 1999 and access to my very first joint account from 1998. I do not feel anybody owes me a damn thing at all, I pull up my own boot straps. This is just a game though and I feel the shields should be available to everyone (replicas) or better yet removed altogether. You most not have read my other post.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vet rewards are fine the shields terrible terrible idea why not something fantastic like ability to place castle etc in malas or other lands this is badass says I've done my time yet affects no one else....
He got to place a Castle in Malas it isn't fair, I want a castle in Malas. Sorry couldn't help myself.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This thread has been cleaned up and a bunch of posts have been removed. Please don't use personal attacks or generational age-based insults against each other going forward. Future rule violations in this thread will be handled with either a thread-ban (losing your ability to post in the thread), a warning with conduct points, or both. Hopefully the thread can continue peacefully without a lock being necessary.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I didn't have shard shields, I wouldn't transfer at all. I never once bought a transfer token before getting shields and taking away shard shields wouldn't change that. So they aren't losing any money from me or form some others that I know.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
If I didn't have shard shields, I wouldn't transfer at all. I never once bought a transfer token before getting shields and taking away shard shields wouldn't change that. So they aren't losing any money from me or form some others that I know.
Using your logic we can take shard shields away from everyone and no one would care in the slightest...right!? Why did you choose a Shard Shields at all...since you never transfer...reading posts like this make me want to throw up.

So let's do that...let's remove them from the game, and create a system where people can turn in their shard shields and get back their reward choice.

Somehow I don't think Shard Shield owners will be voting in favor of that...yourself included.

It never ceases to amaze me the logic and the amount of BS that is spewed by Shard Shield owners to keep them out of the hands of those who don't have them.

For a game that is based on Virtues..Shard Shields to me is the epitome of evil/non-virtue because it creates inequality.

Let me pick whatever the hell I want with my few veteran reward picks that I do have...having to wait til 2032 is an absolute abomination.

Nothing in Ultima Online or any online game have I ever seen that is so wrong, and it's clear as day that it's wrong.

This is why I get a kick out of watching players justify (logic & Lies& Flawed thinking) having this exclusive ability.

"I have shard shields but I still buy transfer tokens" - :lie:

"I never transferred before, or bought Transfer token so no revenue was lost because of me. Oh but I have Shard Shields now" - :lie: Uhm yeah right...I get it...I really do...:coco:

No doubt in my mind the MAIN REASON we will never see this changed is because they will lose revenue via the store from Transfer Tokens.

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I would love to have access to shard shields if for no other reason then to finally have access to power scrolls. If you look on Catskills right now you will find almost no power scrolls for skills people actually use. Like, if you search for "scroll of animal" there's one 120 Taming scroll for 4.5m and that's it. No lower taming scrolls. No animal lore scrolls at all. Some skills, like Swords and Chivalry have a single 120 scroll available, and I'm pretty sure that's only because they are priced too high to resell on Atlantic. It makes it rough for new and returning players to be able to do much of anything. I can't even level up any of my pets because their Taming/Lore req to control them will go over 100. It sucks. :( Of course, this could also be fixed by making power scrolls shard bound so people stop farming them and shipping them off to Atlantic, but that will probably never happen either.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using your logic we can take shard shields away from everyone and no one would care in the slightest...right!? Why did you choose a Shard Shields at all...since you never transfer...reading posts like this make me want to throw up.

So let's do that...let's remove them from the game, and create a system where people can turn in their shard shields and get back their reward choice.

Somehow I don't think Shard Shield owners will be voting in favor of that...yourself included.

It never ceases to amaze me the logic and the amount of BS that is spewed by Shard Shield owners to keep them out of the hands of those who don't have them.

For a game that is based on Virtues..Shard Shields to me is the epitome of evil/non-virtue because it creates inequality.

Let me pick whatever the hell I want with my few veteran reward picks that I do have...having to wait til 2032 is an absolute abomination.

Nothing in Ultima Online or any online game have I ever seen that is so wrong, and it's clear as day that it's wrong.

This is why I get a kick out of watching players justify (logic & Lies& Flawed thinking) having this exclusive ability.

"I have shard shields but I still buy transfer tokens" - :lie:

"I never transferred before, or bought Transfer token so no revenue was lost because of me. Oh but I have Shard Shields now" - :lie: Uhm yeah right...I get it...I really do...:coco:

No doubt in my mind the MAIN REASON we will never see this changed is because they will lose revenue via the store from Transfer Tokens.
Nice job twisting words. Never did I say that I'd be ok with them being taken away and never did I say that I never transfer with them. I said I never bought tokens before I was able to claim shard shields. I created characters on all the shards and did it the old fashioned way. I also never said that I didn't want anyone else to have them. So please stop putting words in my and other's mouths.

I've even offered to use my shard shields to help others transfer, free of charge. Here's one such post: Rares Fest - Shard Transfers

To clarify even more, this is an issue that I've been fairly vocal about for YEARS. Here's a suggestion/post I made on the subject back in 2014: Vet Rewards

Me having shard shields doesn't make me anti-everyone else having them.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would love to have access to shard shields if for no other reason then to finally have access to power scrolls. If you look on Catskills right now you will find almost no power scrolls for skills people actually use. Like, if you search for "scroll of animal" there's one 120 Taming scroll for 4.5m and that's it. No lower taming scrolls. No animal lore scrolls at all. Some skills, like Swords and Chivalry have a single 120 scroll available, and I'm pretty sure that's only because they are priced too high to resell on Atlantic. It makes it rough for new and returning players to be able to do much of anything. I can't even level up any of my pets because their Taming/Lore req to control them will go over 100. It sucks. :( Of course, this could also be fixed by making power scrolls shard bound so people stop farming them and shipping them off to Atlantic, but that will probably never happen either.
The big issue with not finding a 110 or 115 is that people save them up for scroll binders.

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The big issue with not finding a 110 or 115 is that people save them up for scroll binders.
That could be part of the problem on Catskills. Or maybe no one is doing champ spawns. If you check on Atlantic there are a ton of 110/115's for things like animal taming, animal lore, swordsmanship, ect. I just can't justify spending $40 on transfers for a couple low-end scrolls. Especially when those gold spamming sites in chat sell 120s for like $3-6. I don't want to use RMT sites because I don't trust them, but I'm really starting to feel like I don't have much of a choice. :(

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am shopping for scrolls on Atlantic now. There was a bunch of <120s. sorry

Im sure there are people who travel to Atlantic from your shard. Make new friends.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That could be part of the problem on Catskills. Or maybe no one is doing champ spawns. If you check on Atlantic there are a ton of 110/115's for things like animal taming, animal lore, swordsmanship, ect. I just can't justify spending $40 on transfers for a couple low-end scrolls. Especially when those gold spamming sites in chat sell 120s for like $3-6. I don't want to use RMT sites because I don't trust them, but I'm really starting to feel like I don't have much of a choice. :(
As pawain mentioned ask in gen chat if someone can pickup a few for you or if anyone has any available. Often times people won't place stuff on vendors because of vendor fees.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello Lady Michelle,
No agenda I assure you. With regards to EJ housing, before I paid to return I fired up my account son EJ and was shocked, limited bank access etc and felt it was awful, but I subbed so its ok. I was trying to think what might make free to play players want to stay, but after reading all the replies I agree its a bad idea.......
Shard shields, I wanted a way to be able to enjoy shard travel like vets currently do, but to pay my way so the vets entitlements are intact, kinda like teleporters, 12th year vets get shiny ones, paying customers get rechargeable ones, was hoping for something similar and, well you saw how that went down mainly. Not that I was asking the vets permission, but getting an idea, anyone under 12 years I think like the idea, anyone over 12th no way......

these 2 posts were just after I renewed my subs, now I am a month in I have discovered things that just make me sick, and I think EJ accts are to blame..........