• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When is this going to End!?!?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks!

In the market for a new pc and was considering blowing $3k+ on a machine and hope it stopped it from happening.. guess I will just stick to my typical $800-1000 "disposable pc" price range ;)

The vacation fund, and my wife thanks you lol.
Pretty much... you could buy one off a shelf at Wal-Mart and it'd work just as well as the top of the line Alienware .... when it comes to UO.

I bought mine to be able to build and enjoy Landmark... now that's gone... however it performs awesome playing No Man's Sky... I've RARELY seen it have an issue with that or even playing Skyrim or when my son tested his FF 14 on it... The only time it grinds to a halt or goes into meltdown is playing UO.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I gave my daughter my my computer I'm back using a gateway from 2005 with XP works ok with just 1 client running
But with just 10 people killing the titans it starts to lag. I couldn't imagine ever doing an em event with it, I'm sure it would melt it lol
I feel your pain there.. on a 2009 with Windows 7 atm.. good comp died so broke out this old one until I decide which one to purchase.. TOO many options out there.

@Victim of Siege and @MalagAste ty both for the input it is appreciated. No way for me to be a hero to the kids. I am greedy with my pc, they have theirs lol

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks!

In the market for a new pc and was considering blowing $3k+ on a machine and hope it stopped it from happening.. guess I will just stick to my typical $800-1000 "disposable pc" price range ;)

The vacation fund, and my wife thanks you lol.
I know someone who plays UO on their work computer, which is a $15,000+ best of everything possible machine (it's a tech company so is needed that way).

Their UO client still crashes all the time in both CC and EC, and yes the big explosion graphics from events crash them on that too.

It's clearly not the quality of the computer that is the issue.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know someone who plays UO on their work computer, which is a $15,000+ best of everything possible machine (it's a tech company so is needed that way).

Their UO client still crashes all the time in both CC and EC, and yes the big explosion graphics from events crash them on that too.

But Captain... there is no problem with it... just turn down your settings. :rolleyes:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far as I can tell, at least for classic, it's a client limitation. It can only seem to be able to handle so much animation at a time before it runs into frame buffering issues. So swamp tiles and lava bubbling, more than X number of mobs on the screen (including characters, vendors, and manequins), spell/etc effects, and so forth, it all adds up. I can see when it hits the limit, as it gets choppy. Seems like after a point, that buffer simply crashes, taking the client with it. So take your standard EM event, with tons of dragon and gargoyle wings, a large number of players, those players casting spells, then add the supernova flame effect. Easy to see where the problem is...
Perhaps

but in the EC doing a Corgul with just 5 other players and the ONE boss, (no vendors, houses, manequins, swamp tiles or bubbling lava or any other lagging issue) as soon as the supernova spell goes off I am 'frozen' stuck in total limbo, generally get to a black screen with 'client not responding' until such time as I hit the X in the top corner and reload the client as the ONLY way to move again, unless of course the client totally crashes instead of freezes to start with. This with my settings already at the lowest possible setting. (thanks Mesanna for that totally useless and worthwhile piece of advice while dodging any fix of the issue) It is the supernova that causes it that as it ONLY happens the instant that goes off, doesn't happen when there are a hundred souless running around the island which is a far greater number of mobiles on screen.

No idea what causes the same client freeze on looting of major boss corpses once it goes public, it is totally IMPOSSIBLE for anyone in the EC to loot one of these corpses, if you don't fully crash, your corpse converts to 'list' view, you lag so your mouse hardly moves over the screen, you cannot drag or drop anything from the corpse to your backpack and this has also been reported over and over for years.

As has the fact when you die you can sometimes hang in limbo for ages until the client catches up with your death and by which time the mobs have rummaged you about 5 times before you can rez, again reported ad infinitum. (and yes Mesanna the particle death affects are turned off, thanks again for that brilliant piece of assistance).

The thing that is so frustrating is that all this has been reported ad nausum and nothing is done about it. No wonder people rage at that post from Mesanna, unless you are familiar with how many times this has been reported and have a dog in the fight, ie have used the EC for yrs and been reporting on these issues for years you have no idea how patronising, condescening and infuriating that post of Mesanna's is.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why can't the players from each shard ask their EM to stop using the bosses of effects during the events ?
If they don't boycott them....

The dev team isn't going to fix I don't understand why the EMs you love will not stop doing events that cause lag and crash the client. If they are truly good EMs why would they do something that ruins the joy of the players?

I don't do events anymore always on the wrong days hard core lag and the multi boxers and Freind's of the EMs get the drops it seems. These last few months have been the most I have played in years, after this years events I'm sure I'll drop out for onther few years.

We need new leadership imho.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
OFFICIAL THREAD WARNING:

OK fellow posters, the moderators and administrators reviewed this post and did a significant amount of clean up. Deleted over 15 posts here.

Another moderator had already posted in this thread and asked that the level of hostility be brought down... but it continued to move in an extremely negative direction. Let me be perfectly clear: there is nothing wrong with fair and constructive criticism, but rage posts that border on personal attacks are not conducive to community building and do not belong on Stratics. This includes comments or attacks on the developer's abilities to do their jobs. While the developers have a slightly higher threshold of criticism that they need to be able to accept, they are posters here like any of us and attacks against them that go beyond the pale will receive infractions.

If you are unable to get on board with having a civil discussion, you should withhold further comment. Posts made that don't abide by this moderator guidance will result in possible thread bans and infractions.

Let me also say... I am an EC player who has been affected by this bug. Just tonite on ATL's EM event even... I was lagged out at the end when a super-nova went off. Had to reset my client. I wish there was something they would do to address this. Mesanna's response does work for Corgul (for me atleast, I know not everyone) but it doesn't help much for EM events. I don't know what the answer here is. However, I am also aware that Broadsword and Ultima Online have somewhat limited resources. Mesanna wears MANY hats and has many roles she manages. I am also aware that the code for this game is nearly 20 years old and the original folks who developed it are no longer working on Ultima. Most of you know this too... but seem to take any opportunity to take a pot-shot at the developers that goes below the belt. I'm not trying to make excuses on their behalf... communication on some of these issues really should be improved... but some of the responses here are really unwarranted and are outright disrespectful and rude. If we want Ultima Online to live into the future and if we are going to want the validity of our complaints to be taken seriously and receive the appropriate responses from developers, we can do better than ranting and raving.

If you have an issue with this response, you can send an email to [email protected].

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why can't the players from each shard ask their EM to stop using the bosses of effects during the events ?
If they don't boycott them....
It isnt just the bosses that EM's spawn, and frankly they get 'given' the options from Mesanna anyways and have little input into what is 'available'. The old EM on Oceania when I played there had major hassles just getting the powers that be to just tone down the hitpoints on stuff. Sadly the game is made for Atlantic shard where there are 50-70+ people beating on a mob, the small shards with barely 10-20 had to grovel to get the bosses scaled down to a point where they were doable and this usually happened 'after' people had got so fed up with beating on mobs to no avail for a few hours before someone came in and 'adjusted' them. As for the mobs tossing out supernovas which is the main spell causing the crashing it has been asked for time and time again not to use them and we may as well be p...... in the wind.

However it isn't just EM events, that is the issue, Corgul, does the same special, and generally any time they put a new big boss into any arc they seem to wanna base it on the crimson dragon as it appears that they can't get more inventive with anything else. So churn out the same boss just dressed differently with a different name. Something comes to mind about putting 'Lipstick on a Pig' when I think about the level of initiative shown in creating new bosses.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yes Corgul is laggy, but it's not usually as bad as the EM events, I guess supernova + 30 people is just too much for the poor EC! I can't see any reason why they would continue to use mobs they know are making people crash....

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes Corgul is laggy, but it's not usually as bad as the EM events, I guess supernova + 30 people is just too much for the poor EC! I can't see any reason why they would continue to use mobs they know are making people crash....
Perhaps not for you but the last three Corguls I did I ended up having to [X] the client once it froze and I could no longer do anything.

But hey!!!! *gets all excited* we are all just sooooo soooooo dumb! Here is the solution *smacks hand on forehead*

"We don't have to fix the EC you have the ability in your hands to do that yourself. Turn off the partical effects. User Settings - Graphics under Enable Hardware Death Effect you see Partical Detail , turn it off there."

Darn, guess we all just didn't think of that like 5 yrs ago!

*oh, you did, well awwww shucks, dang it* *here I thought we had a divine solution*

And yeah, I have no idea why they continue to use mobs they KNOW are making people crash. I guess no one does as far as the powers that be are concerned it is obviously user error so no doubt it is another 'error' dumped to the back of the UO never to be fixed queue of stuff.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@MissEcho I know I know!! I totally share your frustration and anger! I did crash at one guild hunt Corgul and that was because we had a full group. I am a little perplexed as to how they 'can't replicate this', when we have seen various Devs spend many, many hours on test, before a publish they work tirelessly, credit where it's due, but not one of them can spare an hour to go to an EM event and see for themselves how bad this is?! I can't think of any other MMO and I have played MANY, where the Dev team would leave 30% of their player-base unable to take part in game-run community events for 5 years! But then again, no matter what, we just keep giving them money.... :(

Revenant

Visitor
If we want Ultima Online to live into the future and if we are going to want the validity of our complaints to be taken seriously and receive the appropriate responses from developers, we can do better than ranting and raving.
But can the developers do better than patronizing? Because UO's survival into the future is much more in their hands than ours.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hi @Bleak!

Did you happen to fix this issue yet? Tonight on Lake Austin, the EM used a Primeval Liche and my Enhance Clients crashed again like they always have done when these bosses use area effect spells.

Hopefully you didn't put a none working fix in already, cause that would be depressing. Hoping you are still working on it, and will have it fixed soon. Good luck and thank you. Was great meeting you and your significant other at the party.

Nails

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hmm NO, in fact they added that blow up effect to that garish gingerman boss in the bottom of the sorcerers dungeon too. Had a para one of those buggers the other day and seriously nearly killed my urge to ever play UO again after 4 of us struggled to kill it for 2 -3 hours. Doesn't help when your screen is freezing up and you have to continuously relog. Deaf ears is all I can see.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi @Bleak!

Did you happen to fix this issue yet? Tonight on Lake Austin, the EM used a Primeval Liche and my Enhance Clients crashed again like they always have done when these bosses use area effect spells.

Hopefully you didn't put a none working fix in already, cause that would be depressing. Hoping you are still working on it, and will have it fixed soon. Good luck and thank you. Was great meeting you and your significant other at the party.

Nails
The fix is already out but you have to adjust your settings for particle effect filtering to see any results. You have two options either turn off all particles or hide area of effect particles.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
all this lag/crashes will continue and may get worse. if people used one char at events, would solve so many problems. there are people that turn up their speeder/programs for events, especially just before boss is spawns. same old complaints/issues keep reoccurring.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
all this lag/crashes will continue and may get worse. if people used one char at events, would solve so many problems. there are people that turn up their speeder/programs for events, especially just before boss is spawns. same old complaints/issues keep reoccurring.
I agree but IMO if you have to cheat to "win" at a 20 year old game that's pretty pathetic. But as our head producer said "anyway you want to win you win"... so I guess being a massive loser is winning?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you could buy one off a shelf at Wal-Mart and it'd work just as well as the top of the line Alienware
I did just that a couple of months ago when my main PC crashed for the last time......... The $269 super generic HP off the shelf at walmart runs UO just as well or better than my $5k High performance rig in the office.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak

Any progress on death taking forever and a day in the EC? Its gotten much, much worse since the Sorcerer's Dungeon went live with Jack. Instead of the lag occurring just some deaths, its now EVERY DEATH.

The amount of items in your pack when you die seems to be a determining factor in how long it takes. More items = the longer it takes.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The fix is already out but you have to adjust your settings for particle effect filtering to see any results. You have two options either turn off all particles or hide area of effect particles.

Already done this makes NO difference. Blow up in sorcerers dungeon still locks up and crashes machine. Not done a corgul but given the blow up in the dungeon is smaller I expect it has made zero difference to that too. I gave up on EM events yrs ago due to this plus the multiboxers, so not prepared to even bother with that any more until such time as the tos is actually enforced. Not good enough that we have to wait for EJ to have multiboxing addressed, and frankly doubt they will be then as if it was so 'easy' to do then why hasn't it been done to date?

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Okay so @Bleak my two options are either turn off Enable Hardware Death Effect which never used to work in the past OR
Hide AoE which is a new option in the menu. Both have the same effect? Thank you so much for responding.

upload_2017-10-29_20-23-26.png

OR

OR

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The AoE setting should be its OWN option.

I want some particle effects, but not the borked AoE stuff.

Last edited:

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
CC FTW!

BTW - it’s not... lock-ups are just as common for me on both...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If you use Pinco's the new option to hide AoE, is not on the list, you have to go back to the default EC UI and then turn it on. So does it actually work if you use Pinco's? I'm not seeing any difference so far.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The issue here is threefold. First off, the enhanced client is garbage for EM events due to bugs that cannot be fixed due to a shortage of capable programmers, has been for a long time. Second, the mobs chosen during these events are not feasible for either client due to bugs associated to said mobs...this was brought up long ago yet is still obviously causing issue. Third, you have *hidden* commands being issued to the server via players using third party programs, which also not only cause lag, but cause both clients to crash.

To solve this, 1) stop using the EC during events so that those interested in events can participate with less issue. 2) the players need to once again give feedback to the devs. (a oow wow is definitely needed) regarding what creature templates should be used during events to alleviate these issues. (somewhere along the lines this idea was lost to the devs...if they want to keep players they need to capitulate or acknowledge they are losing their base due to not paying attention to said base) 3) ban the jackhats using scripts/multibotting that are still being allowed to play the game on a for profit only basis.

If these three things happen, events will once again be playable not only for you...but everyone else as well.

Sorry Cap...selected your post in general sense, its late and I am tired...*tips hat*

Last edited:

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Restroom Cowboy sorry but Option 1 is not going to happen, I only play EC and I like to participate in Events and that is just a rude option imo. Agree with 2 and 3.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If I had to go back to the CC to play I'd rather just quit.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Restroom Cowboy sorry but Option 1 is not going to happen, I only play EC and I like to participate in Events and that is just a rude option imo. Agree with 2 and 3.
I wasn't trying to be rude, just stating the obvious. The EC was developed under a much larger and more capable team. That team is no longer with us, and EA refuses to dump money into this 20 year old game. This should be reason enough to avoid using the EC for events, especially if people have issues with said client. Notice, I said for events...this is a very small part of the game as a whole. If you find that to be rude, perhaps you are being a bit too sensitive on the issue.

Life is about compromise in many situations, no reason the game should be any different. If you enjoy events but don't want to crash, lock up, and be unable to loot...switch clients for an hour and then switch back when the events are done. Sure, you probably will still crash in the CC due to issues 2 and 3, but at least you won't have to hassle with the bugs in the EC during that time.

*tips hat*

btw...I fully tested every client since Third Dawn, and the CC is the only one out there that won't pee in your cheerios (as much.)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another bugfix by just disabling a whole system altogether.

Oh, that one gump was designed to big. Let's scale all of them down and call it a fix.
Oh, that one particle effect is broken. Let's disable all of them and call it a fix

Well done @Bleak and the team! *slow clap*

Curious how they gonna fix the death issue. Just make us immortal, problem solved, huh?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wasn't trying to be rude, just stating the obvious. The EC was developed under a much larger and more capable team. That team is no longer with us, and EA refuses to dump money into this 20 year old game. This should be reason enough to avoid using the EC for events, especially if people have issues with said client. Notice, I said for events...this is a very small part of the game as a whole. If you find that to be rude, perhaps you are being a bit too sensitive on the issue.

Life is about compromise in many situations, no reason the game should be any different. If you enjoy events but don't want to crash, lock up, and be unable to loot...switch clients for an hour and then switch back when the events are done. Sure, you probably will still crash in the CC due to issues 2 and 3, but at least you won't have to hassle with the bugs in the EC during that time.

*tips hat*

btw...I fully tested every client since Third Dawn, and the CC is the only one out there that won't pee in your cheerios (as much.)
Yea, that's some nice advice. But we can also hold the developers accountable and ask for bugfixes. That's simply their daily job and there is nothing wrong in telling them what bugs us.

Just staying quiet and taking the piss is not going to solve any problems. There is nothing heroic in it and it is not getting you anywhere. Just to add another point what life is about.

Also, going back to the CC is obviously no option for someone that always played the EC. Let alone having to buy a third party add-on first, install external map program, etc. From your standpoint it might look like an option, since you are already geared up with all that, for most EC users quitting is just a way more realistic option than using CC. Though I don't expect everyone to understand that, especially the CC diehards trying to troll EC discussions ;)

Last edited:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, that's some nice advice. But we can also hold the developers accountable and ask for bugfixes. That's simply their daily job and there is nothing wrong in telling them what bugs us.
I never mentioned not holding people accountable, but what you have to realize is, this stuff was done under the guidance of a different team. You now have 5 people trying to do the job of 20+. They can only do so much, and regardless of what they do, some people will just never be happy. What I offered was a solution coming from the standpoint of someone who did events almost daily for 5+ years.

Also, going back to the CC is obviously no option for someone that always played the EC. Let alone having to buy a third party add-on first, install external map program, etc. From your standpoint it might look like an option, since you are already geared up with all that, for most EC users quitting is just a way more realistic option than using CC. Though I don't expect everyone to understand that, especially the CC diehards trying to troll EC discussions ;)
All I said was use the CC to do events TO AVOID most of the issues. Not once did I try to pull you from the EC as a whole, just for the events so that you might be able to enjoy them for what they are, not the bugs that overwhelm them while using the EC. Second, third party add ons aren't going to cost an arm and a leg...some of them are even free! Third, no trolling was involved in my post...I was giving sound advice relating to the issues regarding both clients. As someone who had used the EC for two years solid before going back to the CC (in my case, being a trader/collector) the reasons behind my personal switch was due to the issues others mentioned and I myself had experienced. I just couldn't do events for 3-5 hours at a time on the EC with any positive results.

If you want to bang your head against the wall, feel free...but don't complain to the devs. if there are other options available to you to use.

*tips hat*

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I've used the EC for over a year, I used the CC for 7-8 years on and off before that, last night we had a Halloween party in-game and I used the CC and my husband stayed in the EC, so we could see people's costumes as they intended them. After only two hours I was ready to smack my head against a wall, just chatting was really annoying let alone anything else!
As for not using certain mobs at EM events, well my husband repeatedly asked our EM not to use Crimson dragons for months, but every event we got them again and again, so we just stopped going. They knew it was a problem long before they acknowledged it as one! I'm not being snippy to CC players here, but I think if this had primarily been a CC problem it wouldn't have taken us so many years just to get it looked into in a serious way! EC will always be a minority client.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All I said was use the CC to do events TO AVOID most of the issues. Not once did I try to pull you from the EC as a whole, just for the events so that you might be able to enjoy them for what they are, not the bugs that overwhelm them while using the EC. Second, third party add ons aren't going to cost an arm and a leg...some of them are even free! Third, no trolling was involved in my post...I was giving sound advice relating to the issues regarding both clients. As someone who had used the EC for two years solid before going back to the CC (in my case, being a trader/collector) the reasons behind my personal switch was due to the issues others mentioned and I myself had experienced. I just couldn't do events for 3-5 hours at a time on the EC with any positive results.

If you want to bang your head against the wall, feel free...but don't complain to the devs. if there are other options available to you to use.

*tips hat*
A couple of years ago I might even had agreed. But back then time was cheap and plenty. With only a couple of hours to play games and enjoy them, I don't see any reason to cope with this mess the developers are doing to the EC. If I was an die-hard UO fan, I might take all the hurdles: Install another client, Setup macros. Buy third party addons. Install them. Install a map addon. Yadi yada...

But then there are also other games where I don't have to do all that. Maybe have a look at the post of @ShriNayne to get a second impression. Going back to the CC might be an option, but it's far more unrealistic than calling it quits altogether and playing other games. Believe it or not.

Meanwhile the usual smoke and mirrors from the team gets older and older. They promise to fix things, then come up with something that is not fixing anything and was obviously never tested.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@petemage, I really don't need to look at anyone elses posts to give a specific answer here. I understand your issues, having gone through them myself. I know the team is blowing smoke, hence why I said they needed to capitulate else lose their base. All I mentioned was use the client to do events, if that isn't feasible to you, then you have two options. 1) stop doing events...period, because this is a 9 year old problem and there are no working solutions. 2) quit playing UO.

Honestly, I get sick of seeing the same bull***t posts about people unable to do something because they use the EC. These posts are written by the same people who come to this forum day after day for years knowing things aren't going to change, yet somehow they think complaining about the same crap over and over is going to fix the problem. Newsflash, it won't. So my best advice...move on from doing events or find something else to enjoy doing with your spare time. Period.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
UO has two clients, irrespective of which client people choose to use they should be able to take part in ALL game content with their chosen client. If the powers that be don't want to fully support either client then they should just say so. We have TWO clients, they should both function equally well. I know the EC players are in the minority, but can they really afford to risk losing 30% of their player-base by ignoring major EC problems? Telling people to just use the CC is not a solution, that's the kind of lame suggestion I would expect from the Devs. If positions were reversed and we were all saying to CC users, oh it's okay just use the EC, there would be a riot! :eek:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO has two clients, irrespective of which client people choose to use they should be able to take part in ALL game content with their chosen client. If the powers that be don't want to fully support either client then they should just say so. We have TWO clients, they should both function equally well. I know the EC players are in the minority, but can they really afford to risk losing 30% of their player-base by ignoring major EC problems? Telling people to just use the CC is not a solution, that's the kind of lame suggestion I would expect from the Devs. If positions were reversed and we were all saying to CC users, oh it's okay just use the EC, there would be a riot! :eek:
Again, the client is going on 10 years old. When it was developed, UO was under a different development team consisting of 20+ people. They now have a skeleton crew of 5 people to run not only the CC but also the EC. At this point you should all consider yourselves lucky to get new content at all, let alone bug fixes. Again, I think players should be happy with what they have...because asking for more is just going to leave the already stretched crew with less time to fix game breaking issues...like the one currently going on with Atlantic.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@petemage, I really don't need to look at anyone elses posts to give a specific answer here. I understand your issues, having gone through them myself. I know the team is blowing smoke, hence why I said they needed to capitulate else lose their base. All I mentioned was use the client to do events, if that isn't feasible to you, then you have two options. 1) stop doing events...period, because this is a 9 year old problem and there are no working solutions. 2) quit playing UO.

Honestly, I get sick of seeing the same bull***t posts about people unable to do something because they use the EC. These posts are written by the same people who come to this forum day after day for years knowing things aren't going to change, yet somehow they think complaining about the same crap over and over is going to fix the problem. Newsflash, it won't. So my best advice...move on from doing events or find something else to enjoy doing with your spare time. Period.
Considering we were told outright that they aren't "supporting" the CC anymore and all because they aren't going into that spaghetti code etc... making things work... I keep hoping they will actually then work on the client they claim to support. However as you have pointed out that's not the case... until they are sadly shamed into doing something... hence my starting this thread.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I was going to say the same thing, I was under the impression they were trying to stop supporting the CC, I guess they realised that mistake after they said it...

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
use the CC to do events TO AVOID most of the issues
I get your point. Nobody knows if EC will ever improve, so we should deal with what is rather than what should be.
The question for me is whether I am capable anymore of setting up a character to perform in CC. It’s been years and I remember nothing about it. Apparently new players are still learning UO on CC, so I guess it must be possible. Could I remember how to set up macros? Could I get used to operating without zoom? Do I have the patience to sift through backpacks with no grid? Is the trouble worth the reward? Do I have the energy to try to relearn it? I really don't know.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you set the particle filter to "none" does this also turn off the AoE?

Like @Dot_Warner says, I want to see some effects but not the broken EM effects that kill the client.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I turned it off and now I can't see anything at all, it's a bit weird doing Corgul when you can't see the spell effects at all....:confused: