• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When is this going to End!?!?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You want to know what just continue to tell yourself it's all fine... you told people that you aren't going to support the CC anymore then act like you support the EC!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This thread is becoming kind of hostile... it is of course an important topic, but it would be appreciated if the posts could be kept relatively calm.

We all talk about how we wish the developers posted more etc. but then something like this happens where Mesanna posts out of nowhere trying to be helpful and it ignites a rage attack directed towards her. We should be happy she took the time to interact to try fixing the problem, and hopefully work with her more to narrow down a workable solution... instead of just yelling at her because her first suggestion didn't work for some people.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
instead of just yelling at her because her first suggestion didn't work for some people.
Some of the hostility might be because: (someone needs to settle on an answer and stick with it)

We were told they would look into it

Then we got the impression they didnt know this was a problem

Then we are told that Bleak is on it

Then we are told to fix it ourselves....

And the reality is that the fix is so simple!!! Just tell the EM corps to quit using those base mobs!

No flash bangy=no lock up freezes crashes...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe we are getting irritated because we've waited 5 YEARS for answers and a FIX and I'm sick and tired of getting the run around on the issues with the EC!

No more excuses... seriously done with them.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
This thread is becoming kind of hostile... it is of course an important topic, but it would be appreciated if the posts could be kept relatively calm.
We all talk about how we wish the developers posted more etc. but then something like this happens where Mesanna posts out of nowhere trying to be helpful and it ignites a rage attack directed towards her. We should be happy she took the time to interact to try fixing the problem, and hopefully work with her more to narrow down a workable solution... instead of just yelling at her because her first suggestion didn't work for some people.
@Captn Norrington you know how much we all respect you, but to be quite honest I found her post quite insulting, did she actually think that none of us had already tried that?! During an EM event I have EVERYTHING turned right down, I don't have any chat turned on at all and I put EVERYONE on ignore to reduce the strain on the EC, but it still crashes or at best locks up for a long time with every supernova, if you die it takes 10 seconds of watching your points go down and being completely unable to do anything, then of course you try to loot the boss corpse and your PC has a brain fart and dies.
I don't have an old PC, I can play much newer MMO's with no problem, I was playing ESO with a good frame-rate and limited lag at the start of last year. No way should this be happening with a 20 year old game. If this was happening in the CC they would have fixed it already. Or if they couldn't fix it the EM's wouldn't be using crimson dragons at events. :(

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it's "becoming hostile" as this problem has been brought up numerous times and it's like the Devs refuse to acknowledge it. I (and I'm sure others) have sent in bug reports via the official channels as well as direct emails, and posting on here and nothing gets done. It's ridiculous. Then we get a cop out response like this!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

How calm would you be if you'd waited patiently for over 5 years and NOTHING got done???? And you attend 2 events back to back where the SAME THING happens and you can't do ANYTHING...

And this goes on month after month after month... you say something at M&G's You say something here, you report things there... you discuss it with the EM's after the events reminding them AGAIN that this happens...

And time and time again NOTHING IS EVER DONE. My patience is at it's end.

I'd like to be able to play the game like everyone else seems to... but if I have to go back to the CC forget it.... I'm done.... not going to happen... is it too much to ask that the game be playable?????

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It's been brought up at more than one M&G and every time they act like it's the first time they ever heard of such a thing happening, it's beyond frustrating, we want to support our EM, but you just can't enjoy an event like that.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Captn Norrington IMO, ShriNayne nailed it. The post from Mesanna did seem quite insulting - and I don't have a horse in the EC race.

@Mesanna Please take a look at all the complaints from the EC users. This apparently has been a long-standing issue and they have turned everything off that they can. The EC needs to be fixed, or EMs throttled back on the fireworks.

Thanks!

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't play the EC or go to any EM events but the tone of her first sentence gets under my skin. We pay a monthly fee for fixing these issues and enforcing the TOS and being able to play online.

And in my opinion it is unacceptable to talk to customers like that.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After keeping track of this thread I think one thing is kinda clear..

Once UO starts their official forums a lot of folks are most likely going to be banned there in the first couple of weeks... :mf_prop:
After 20 years they still can't fix issues and rely on Stratics as their forums. You REALLY think that's going to happen???? L. M. F. A. O.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL

Well some people might not even bother registering :D

Cause it's probably just gonna end up one big lovefest :cheerleader::smooch:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Once UO starts their official forums a lot of folks are most likely going to be banned there in the first couple of weeks... :mf_prop:
Cute, but to be perfectly frank, this is a problem of Mesanna's own making. She needs to own it. People are pissed at her because she continually buries her head in the sand and hopes the problem just goes away. EC Issues. Multiboxing. Account Management.

Sure, she helps people with account issues, and that's great. Kudos to her. I bet she's the only producer that has to personally take action to help player jump through the flaming hoops in the byzantine maze of epically poor account management. Yet she hasn't produced the new account site she promised years ago. In fact, she acts the fool when people publicly bring it up.
Just remember, years ago OSI had "Official Forums." They quickly became a vapid echo chamber of :cheerleader: poop.png which led to some horrid changes to UO. The last thing Mesanna needs is more manipulative sycophants blowing smoke up her butt.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Havn't you learned that even if you win you are almost certainly going to lose. Just the way it is.
Obviously he has never been tuned into "Happy Wife, Happy Life"... or he'd know better. Smile tell her your sorry... give her something shiny... and go play your game... or fix something she wanted fixed.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I have no intention of ever posting on said forum... what would I say "Hooray, I went to the event tonight and it was awesome a big mob spawned I couldn't see, couldn't move, a bunch of muliboxers got drops they are selling for 175M+ but my friends and everyone in Discord with me got to watch our screens blow up... and then I had to reboot... but It's all great and had a blast???"...

I think not.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Obviously he has never been tuned into "Happy Wife, Happy Life"... or he'd know better. Smile tell her your sorry... give her something shiny... and go play your game... or fix something she wanted fixed.
Nah... I am in the other end of that pool.. I know wives (et al.) are just temporary these days... :p which is why I went 25 years my junior this go around.. only gonna be few 5-6 years may as well get an active one :devil:

Hell, UO has outlasted 2 of them and 3 other "live-in deals".. I stay true to myself no matter who it is and in rl when folks wanna argue I am ready for it and don't have to worry about being censored ;)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

One game I played had an official forum. You had to register with your account info and if you got banned from the forum you also got banned from the game. I got a 24 hour ban from the forum and game. They discontinued the forum and it came here. That's how I found Stratics.

I would rather have an official forum that had actual players.

I agree with your post.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
We don't have to fix the EC you have the ability in your hands to do that yourself. Turn off the partical effects. User Settings - Graphics under Enable Hardware Death Effect you see Partical Detail , turn it off there. As for the classic client, it is something we can add in the future so you have the option to turn those off also.
Apologies, but this statement is a bit of a non sequitur. My particle effects have been off for a long time now, this stuff still happens -- I don't think the offending graphics technically are
particle effects but, rather, are something different. It seems to be a lot worse when it's coupled with a lot of people on the screen. I actually have it a lot worse than Malag. My screen goes totally black, and even closing the client becomes difficult.

I note with regret that my fellow players, on this issue and others, engage in the popular sport of EM-bashing. I submit, by contrast, that the EMs are not the issue but, rather, that there exist effects in the game that can't be turned off and that are beyond the ability of either client to handle successfully. I submit the solution would be either to turn these attacks into particle effects or to reduce their graphical footprint.

My substance isn't much different from other posters, but I hope that my calmer style might greater convey the depth of the problem(s).

-John's player

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We don't have to fix the EC you have the ability in your hands to do that yourself. Turn off the partical effects. User Settings - Graphics under Enable Hardware Death Effect you see Partical Detail , turn it off there. As for the classic client, it is something we can add in the future so you have the option to turn those off also.
Cannot believe you said that Mesanna. I have the particle affects turned off and have done for YEARS. Seriously? You say that is the fix. I guarantee you those of us experienced EC users did this YEARS ago and it makes no difference. Sheesh . Really? Seriously you said the above. I am totally gobsmacked. Far out.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The really funny part of this whole issue is that at the last M&G we were told that Bleak was looking into it....I guess he looked, had no idea how to fix it and then they just decided it was our own fault. Maybe they think because only 30% of their customers use the EC they can just ignore them, but I'm pretty sure we pay the same monthly fee as everyone else! Some of us only started trying to use the EC after they told us the CC wouldn't be supported any more....

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol, most likely Broadsword will make you pay each time you want to post in their
"official forums".
I used quotes as Stratics was, is and always shall be the official forums for Ultima Online.
Just because mesanna has a gripe about stratics and not being able to control it, doesn't make the last 15+ years irrelevent.

Last edited:

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ill say it again if everyone used one char for events, it would solve so many problems. more and more are bringing more and more chars. they keep raising the drop numbers which solves nothing. it just encourages more multi char use. this interns, causes many to quit and will continue causing people to quit. its all about greed and $.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Limiting the number of characters wouldn't solve this. I have the same problem at times when we do Corgul and there's on 6-8 of us there. The issue is with the lag caused by the supernova, not just the number of players/chars, the more times it gets cast the bigger the lag issue becomes.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I dunno folks.. I read this and I do not see 'attitude' or an 'idgaf" type demeanor. Sure, I see someone trying to be direct and to the point.. but heck I have always liked folks who are that way. But then again, I have never been the type who needs all the 'touchy feely yadda yadda' crap that most seem to want from Customer Service these days. In fact I abhor calling any Customer Service place and hearing that scripted "First let me say I am sorry your XXXX is not working correctly, I know that has to be aggravating to experience that" ******** line. I don't need someone to kiss my ass when there is an issue.. just offer possible solutions to it and if those solutions wind up being invalid or not working for the person to keep trying to resolve it.

With her saying in the Meet and Greet that Bleak was looking into the situation.. this seems to be the 'fix' that Bleak came up with as a possible option and she was merely trying to disseminate that info and get back to all the other crap on her plate that day. So we all wait patiently until they come up with another possible fix to the problem other than telling the EM's to "stop using them"..

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dunno folks.. I read this and I do not see 'attitude' or an 'idgaf" type demeanor. Sure, I see someone trying to be direct and to the point.. but heck I have always liked folks who are that way. But then again, I have never been the type who needs all the 'touchy feely yadda yadda' crap that most seem to want from Customer Service these days. In fact I abhor calling any Customer Service place and hearing that scripted "First let me say I am sorry your XXXX is not working correctly, I know that has to be aggravating to experience that" ******** line. I don't need someone to kiss my ass when there is an issue.. just offer possible solutions to it and if those solutions wind up being invalid or not working for the person to keep trying to resolve it.

With her saying in the Meet and Greet that Bleak was looking into the situation.. this seems to be the 'fix' that Bleak came up with as a possible option and she was merely trying to disseminate that info and get back to all the other crap on her plate that day. So we all wait patiently until they come up with another possible fix to the problem other than telling the EM's to "stop using them"..
The problem is not so much her tone. The problem is that this issue has been brought to her attention multiple times over the last 5 years, and every time they act like this is the first they hear about it. The problem is also that their "fix" does not work, and that has also been brought to their attention multiple times and they keep "forgetting" it.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I realize this is a touchy thing for the EC users

I read what she said and felt the same way as above direct and to the point, I to like people like that.
I had my spouse read it to see what her response was all said has and what I'm I reading I explained it let her read the tread and she still said I don't see she(mesanna) is like me I don't sugar coat things for the snowflakes out there. Of course she doesn't realize it's been five years and that this is just one of many things that has people pissed off.

Everyone seem to be hypersensitivity at this point me included, if mesanna would just listen to the players and apologize some times along with dropping the elite echo chamber opinion only counts not the mass majority. She might have a chance to recover and get more people behind her again. Right now she just keeps doubling and tripling down on things no one wants or asked for. Very stubborn imho, that will be her demise in the end. Humility is a re lesson to learn.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They probably aren't adding/changing much in Eodon because very few go there anymore, since the new wore off.
Why? you might ask.
Because like most everything else they added lately, it's just another massive grindfest...

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why don't they just disable the effects that are causing the problems from the EC?! This would be a perfect fix. Just turn off / remove them. They are totally broken. I can't see any EC players complaining about this!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They probably aren't adding/changing much in Eodon because very few go there anymore, since the new wore off.
Why? you might ask.
Because like most everything else they added lately, it's just another massive grindfest...
oh, I know. But it's still got some of the best loot in the game + Cameos still sell for a decent amount (sadly, it's the only Shadowguard backdrop drop that does at this point.)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sometimes, I have to admit, Mesanna's answers, while often curt, are humorous to me as well. lol.

This one reminds me of the time when I was working in a shop with a friend, and this little lady brought her car in because it had a squeak in the front. Drove it, bounced it, rocked it, never could hear a squeak. Put it on the lift, tapped everyting with a rubber mallet, never heard a squeak. Took a trigger sprayer full of WD-40, sprayed some spots that 'could' squeak, even tho I couldn't make them. She picked up the car, and left

Came back two days later, said her car had that squeak again.
I told her to play the radio louder.

Boss was not impressed:(

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
The supernova explosion crashes me on the classic client too, so this isn't just an EC issue. That explosion effect just overwhelms the client. Even when I don't crash, you can see how everything gets super laggy, same as being in a house with too many lava or swamp tiles.

I once played this game using a 26.6 dialup connection. The amount it lags out today on a 300 mbps connection, trying to load data from the server and keep up with the animations, is just pretty disappointing.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Why don't they just tone down the effect of the supernova for everyone or ask the EM's not to use it at events? That same effect on guild hunts is fine, there are solutions to this problem that don't even involve them having to actually think about it too much....

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The supernova explosion crashes me on the classic client too, so this isn't just an EC issue. That explosion effect just overwhelms the client. Even when I don't crash, you can see how everything gets super laggy, same as being in a house with too many lava or swamp tiles.

I once played this game using a 26.6 dialup connection. The amount it lags out today on a 300 mbps connection, trying to load data from the server and keep up with the animations, is just pretty disappointing.
I am nowhere near a "tech type" but you seem to be.. so.... when it comes to the supernova (and EM events in general really) is it a problem with the client(s)? Or a lag issue with the servers? Or a combination of both? I have ran UO on some piss poor way outdated machines and have played UO on some "latest greatest gaming comps" (including one $4k liquid cooled rig or some such nonsense lol) as well... and never had any luck with avoiding the crash/lag monster at Events.

Never really knew who to ask lol

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I gave my daughter my my computer I'm back using a gateway from 2005 with XP works ok with just 1 client running
But with just 10 people killing the titans it starts to lag. I couldn't imagine ever doing an em event with it, I'm sure it would melt it lol

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I am nowhere near a "tech type" but you seem to be.. so.... when it comes to the supernova (and EM events in general really) is it a problem with the client(s)? Or a lag issue with the servers? Or a combination of both? I have ran UO on some piss poor way outdated machines and have played UO on some "latest greatest gaming comps" (including one $4k liquid cooled rig or some such nonsense lol) as well... and never had any luck with avoiding the crash/lag monster at Events.
As far as I can tell, at least for classic, it's a client limitation. It can only seem to be able to handle so much animation at a time before it runs into frame buffering issues. So swamp tiles and lava bubbling, more than X number of mobs on the screen (including characters, vendors, and manequins), spell/etc effects, and so forth, it all adds up. I can see when it hits the limit, as it gets choppy. Seems like after a point, that buffer simply crashes, taking the client with it. So take your standard EM event, with tons of dragon and gargoyle wings, a large number of players, those players casting spells, then add the supernova flame effect. Easy to see where the problem is...

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
As far as I can tell, at least for classic, it's a client limitation. It can only seem to be able to handle so much animation at a time before it runs into frame buffering issues. So swamp tiles and lava bubbling, more than X number of mobs on the screen (including characters, vendors, and manequins), spell/etc effects, and so forth, it all adds up. I can see when it hits the limit, as it gets choppy. Seems like after a point, that buffer simply crashes, taking the client with it. So take your standard EM event, with tons of dragon and gargoyle wings, a large number of players, those players casting spells, then add the supernova flame effect. Easy to see where the problem is...
Thanks!

In the market for a new pc and was considering blowing $3k+ on a machine and hope it stopped it from happening.. guess I will just stick to my typical $800-1000 "disposable pc" price range ;)

The vacation fund, and my wife thanks you lol.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks!

In the market for a new pc and was considering blowing $3k+ on a machine and hope it stopped it from happening.. guess I will just stick to my typical $800-1000 "disposable pc" price range ;)

The vacation fund, and my wife thanks you lol.
I spent way too much on a computer in hopes of eliminating these issues Kylie, no go. At least it made me a hero to the kids, it handles their games like a champ.