• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Want new players on Siege? Get rid of RoT.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
next time you give it a try get with someone who knows how to effectively gain skills with RoT and you will definitely NOT need months to finish your char...just sayin...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love to use some of the higher tier items, but they're so hard to come by and I don't want hours, days, possibly weeks, worth of grinding for a specific drop to go poof when I die or get looted from pvp.
I personally think that gearing IS a significant issue on siege, but I would solve it by upping drop rates on artifacts and **** like that way up, rather than upping blessings.

Would give people more incentive to get out and do bosses, would boost the economy, would give people wider access to good stuff so they could make backup suits of higher quality. Stupidly devs have said they wouldn't give us special rules... on the special rules shard... :/

If it were up to me I would make the entire itemization of siege different and more in tune with how the shard works, but obviously that's a pipe dream.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and even most combat skills can now be gained with alacrities since masteries were introduced. I just used it to train parry. You just need to use the mastery that is a toggle and doesn't require you to attack something (toughness for mace, focused eye for swords). this leaves fencing, archery and wrestling (not sure if playing the odds works to train archery) as skills that need to be trained by actually hitting something.

Everyone who wants to give Siege a try and thinks that RoT is the last hurdle he can't jump please come to me and I'll show you how to get your character ready within a couple of days or 2 weeks tops for those who really only have little time available.
Yeah same with taming. Taming is MUCH easier now that you can do it from your house.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL I like to put on arch, mace, swords, fence, bushi, parry, tactics and just stay at the wolf house............ the wolfs get you to 118.2 .7 in gains every rot timer After wolves just run up to the Yamadon whack him once with everything cure the poison and run back to the wolf house. Blue don't help true but it is not that painful.

Edit: The Wolf House/ Tsuki Garden house is open to the public and there is a tile to it from my Zento Hub house.
I've used that house a lot when training or when I need a quick 10k or something, heh. So thanks!

greenwolf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One suits worth of bless or insurance is a long way from prodo insurance. As it is you get better loot from ettins than you do most Siege players anyway :)
I do have to agree with the ettins having better loot. Still i hear countless people crying asking for their ettin looted suit back or even worse an imbued suit. Insurance would kill that whole concept as it is looting just sets you back a suit. If you add insurance whats to point of looting I take your gold and resources like they do on production shards.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do have to agree with the ettins having better loot. Still i hear countless people crying asking for their ettin looted suit back or even worse an imbued suit. Insurance would kill that whole concept as it is looting just sets you back a suit. If you add insurance whats to point of looting I take your gold and resources like they do on production shards.
Insurance would ruin siege. If you add insurance it's just a half assed prodo shard.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still got the weapon, shield, jewels, tali and feet slots to loot :) And cape and robe

greenwolf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still got the weapon, shield, jewels, tali and feet slots to loot :) And cape and robe
If they add insurance its the same insurance that is on production shards (they will not reinvent the wheel for this one); so that means your weapons , robes, jewellery and talismans are also insured. I know you play siege regularly but that's how it works on production shards...

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
All these ppl talking about how easy it is to train crafting skills and taming on Siege...

Well that doesn't really help me. I'm not interested in training crafting skills or taming.

What if I want to train combat skills? Weapon skill, tactics, etc?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
All these ppl talking about how easy it is to train crafting skills and taming on Siege...

Well that doesn't really help me. I'm not interested in training crafting skills or taming.

My suggestion would be to participate in, you know, combat!?

RoT makes training bushido, tactics, archery, etc way way faster. I STILL have prodo dexxers that have not finished training chivalry, bushido, archery, etc. On Siege I'm all 120s. The only exception I know to this are the folks who would set up toons afk at the slimes. On prodo you can do that, but on Siege you can, and will, be killed for that. Just like afk Blackthorn folks. Another positive for Siege!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just like afk Blackthorn folks. Another positive for Siege!
That doesn't stop people (on LS at least) from doing it in Tram. Can't tell you how many times I've been lured on in Tram Blackthorn when I farm there. People have done it to me in Fel too, which makes no sense. If you think the person's afk in Fel, why not just kill them?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My suggestion would be to participate in, you know, combat!?

RoT makes training bushido, tactics, archery, etc way way faster. I STILL have prodo dexxers that have not finished training chivalry, bushido, archery, etc. On Siege I'm all 120s. The only exception I know to this are the folks who would set up toons afk at the slimes. On prodo you can do that, but on Siege you can, and will, be killed for that. Just like afk Blackthorn folks. Another positive for Siege!
i dont see how anyone could logically say its faster.

atlantic: 0 to 120 combat skills (anat tact weapon), plus about 80healing and 90ish chiv
about 4 hours

siege: 90 to 120 combat skill - 75 hours. (about 30hours with scrolls of alacrity) thats after spending either more time, or $30 on a token just to get to that 90.

Its not faster on siege. that entire presumption should be dismissed to have any meaningful discussion on ROT.

and your not participating in combat. i think thats why its so frustrating. theres really no point to actually playing, your just trying for that .1 gain every 15mins.

theres many people who would play siege without ROT limitations. I sure would. i really tried. ROT is what was the major roadblock.

Now i might spend alot of gold and just buy sots, but this isnt an option for everyone. It shouldnt have to be done. Is it really too much to ask just to have a fully trained character in a reasonable amount of time? considering thats basically where the game starts now. after your fully trained. especially on server where you will encounter pvp at some point.

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Siege is not for everyone. That is OK. Plenty of other shards to play on.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

from 0-40 kill mongbats at glow gate, from 40-70 kill skeletons at yew gy or in front of covetous lvl 3.
alternatively you can kill giant rats and vampire bats in blackthorn dungeon all the way from 0-70 and get 3-4 blackthorn arties while doing that.

after you hit 70 go and farm stuff that gives you gains and loot the gold and resources. sell the resources (e.g. horned leather) to the vendor stalls in New Magincia and buy weaponskill and tactics SoTs with the money you make and save them for when you have hit 100.

from 90 on try skill masteries to get gains (usually the ones with upkeep cost can get you gains)

as someone said above you can also make good money and get gains in combat skills while farming BoS and powder of translocation (which can also be sold).

of course you can also just get a wolf spider and a 100 poison weapon like people do on prodo...that way you'll miss out on a lot of gold though that will buy you SoTs and speed up the process.

just a few suggestions. I am sure there are other ways to do this.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Smoot,

I have no quarrel with you but I tell you I in truth, my dexxers trained by playing. When I have a little gold I would buy a pink here or there, but most skills, macing, chivalry, etc I trained from killing. And I have never trained a combat skill faster on prodo over three different accounts. I just played Siege, doing Siege stuff. Kelmo speaks true, Siege is not for everyone. You may be one of those. But to expect the shard to change to more closely match all other shards defies its very nature. If I want insurance or non ROT or the safety to move about, I can vacation to the dozen prodo shards. And when you tire of your wealth and ease, vacation with us on Siege. Who knows, you may find a spark of something you forgot you loved.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL I took 9 skills from 70 to 100 and another 4 from 70 to 120 in less than 19 hours of game time to prove a point and reported the results of the exploit Many Months ago as did several others. Yes it is a exploit that I am starting to think is a feature. I know for sure some posting in this thread know about it and pretty sure a couple of the others either heard about it or found since it is getting 8 months old. Maybe saying something about it, but not what it is publicly on Stratics will get the Devs attention since obviously normal reports don't. Unless they have fixed it in the last 3 days since I last tested it to see if it was still working. Anyway if you wonder how some of the newer guilds got maxed out so fast now you know :)

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Making changes to Siege has never caused a huge, permanent influx of new players. Any changes that were made were done so with good intentions but only wound up causing long term problems. The question is always the same "What will bring new players to siege?". But the answer will never, ever be "Make it more like production shards".

Anyways, personally I prefer RoT. I like that I am not wasting resources while hoping for a random gain. And if RoT were removed, resources would become far more expensive than they are now or ever were. And then people would begin begging for RoT.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It all comes down to this:
If someone really wanted to play on Siege, they´d play on Siege. Those who doesn´t, don´t want to.
Now I feel stupid that my post was so long.. just to say the same thing. :(

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Advertise UO, more people playing UO, you'll see some more people on Siege.

Siege isn't the only shard that needs more people, Siege just needed more people long before the other shards had this problem.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
most skills, macing, chivalry, etc I trained from killing. And I have never trained a combat skill faster on prodo over three different accounts
Siege, when you get to RoT, gives you what, .4 an hour? On a regular shard, I can, in the same amount of time, get more skill gains (in most skills) by training on slimes. Not sure how it's better.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Advertise UO, more people playing UO, you'll see some more people on Siege.

Siege isn't the only shard that needs more people, Siege just needed more people long before the other shards had this problem.
And there is the biggest truth. Only a % of the population will enjoy Siege and at present it is simply a reflects the overall population.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Siege, when you get to RoT, gives you what, .4 an hour? On a regular shard, I can, in the same amount of time, get more skill gains (in most skills) by training on slimes. Not sure how it's better.
see, that's one of the problems with people complaining about RoT: they don't have their facts straight. All you had to do was actually read what others posted in this very thread to find out how RoT skill gains actually work...

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
see, that's one of the problems with people complaining about RoT: they don't have their facts straight. All you had to do was actually read what others posted in this very thread to find out how RoT skill gains actually work...
I just looked it up...and it's still faster to train skills on prodo shards.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
for some skills yes, nobody denied that... still what's the big deal if a weapon skill takes you a week to get to 120?! Even if you have very little time available it shouldn't take longer than maybe 2 weeks. After that you're done training and you can do whatever you like in a fel only, full loot environment. Investing that little bit of time is not really a big hurdle to jump. If it is then Siege really isn't for you (which is absolutely fine).

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And there is the biggest truth. Only a % of the population will enjoy Siege and at present it is simply a reflects the overall population.
It has been going on longer than that my friend ;). I reported it long ago to Bonnie, nothing has been done about it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has been going on longer than that my friend ;). I reported it long ago to Bonnie, nothing has been done about it.
They did fix it years ago when it first occurred :) Of course it was a much different team back then.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Siege is more like original UO than any other shard now in terms of safety and fun.

I would not want RoT to be removed from Siege or you WILL get afk skill gain scripters. Not only that but when you make one change to make things easier people will demand another and another.

Siege is hard, you get one toon etc... keep it hard!
There is one change that should be made to Siege and it is way too late for it........ Reverting it to Pre AOS.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One character per account doesn't make it hard. Just boring.
Cuts down on mules though. Probably not a TON... but definitely some. If everyone had 6 characters.. heck probably even just 2 most everyone would have a mule.