• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Turning off Housing Decay for the Month of September

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are different reasons your house can fall,
Perhaps you're one of the many that have multiple accounts and do the 3 month "flipping" to keep your houses alive.
Perhaps you were taking a short break from UO with the plan to return for the Anniversary.
Perhaps you had been deployed and didn't set up a direct debit because your bank is not that good but knew you would be home before your house fell.

It's just for 1 month, concentrate on the Event arcs for the month or train up Begging ready for October ect, with the knowledge that "your" house is safe and will be there next month. ;)
I'm all for helping people by turning it off, but to pretend that it's protecting houses for the next month is silly, it's not. Every house today that has its owner lose power, is fully protected for the next 3 months against the worst scenarios without the need for turning off house decay.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Guess I didn't think of that, some people intentionally don't pay for 3 month periods to carry extra houses on extra accounts. Now I bet they will have angry customers who just paid for another month on one of those accounts and feel ripped off. I dunno, can't win. Affecting ALL players for the sake of a few doesn't usually work out too well, but I get the gesture.
Exactly, if you truly want to help the victims of Harvey, announce that you're turning off house decay in 60 days. That will immediately give flood victims peace of mind for the next 60 days. Turning it off for the month of September does nothing.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A month is not going to make a bit of difference. If you lost or have a lot of damage to your house, your car is one that was sitting under 10' of water on the freeway, and your employer or your own business was flooded......... You are still going to be arguing with the insurance company probably 2 months from now. As already pointed out no house that goes into decay due to the flood will go into decay until December, Zero sympathy for the people that play the 3 month game (That is who this benefits). For anyone else impacted by the flood turning decay off in mid November through December would be where the help would be.

Also zero warning sucked for the rest of the world, its not like any of the flood victims were going to go into decay anytime soon. Well other than the 3 month gamers and IMO they are not worth hot spit on a frozen lake and warrant zero sympathy or consideration.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Please be aware that during this time you will not be able to place a house, transfer a house, demolish a house or resize a house"

Had big big plans to customize my house this weekend and it seems thats down as well...now i gotta wait a month :cursing:
yep had plans to recustomize mine today for the garden beds i bought myself for my birthday.. didn't see "customize" specifically in the notes. </3 womp womp.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another example of UO's housing system crippling the game. Individual people all over the world suffer personal disasters on a daily basis which could impact their ability to maintain their account. What makes their plight any less important than someone who suffers in a natural disaster? Hypocrisy.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So many assumptions and straw-man arguments....

Awesome Job UO Team.....God Bless Texas!
HArdly straw arguments just folks pointing out it is a PC gesture that has no meaning or value beyond saying we did something. Please explain how shutting down housing for the month of September is going to to help anyone, other than the 90 day gamblers that might have got caught in it.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
HArdly straw arguments just folks pointing out it is a PC gesture that has no meaning or value beyond saying we did something. Please explain how shutting down housing for the month of September is going to to help anyone, other than the 90 day gamblers that might have got caught in it.
Sure, but when I do please don't do the obligatory, can't admit wrong, capitulation, ok?

First of all, although I totally disagree with playing the 90 day game on housing; in this instance they are UO players and it will help them.

Examples:
1) Guy pays for his accounts every month with a 90 day game code. It was ending the day after the flooding. His computer ruined, no family, he lived paycheck to paycheck. He was supposed to get his paycheck the day before, but his day labor job downtown is gone, he can't get a hold of his boss. Suspending the decay gives this guy an extra month to find shelter, get a computer, insurance money, etc. his name is Ted btw.

2) Lady lost her husband in the flood along with their credit cards. They are expiring this month. She was hoping to get to the bank to get new cards and re-up her account. Now she has a funeral to plan, her house is gone, she has no money. Suspending the housing removes just one more thing off her shoulders. This one person makes it worth everyone's inconvience!

3) ....well, I could go on forever with these, but you get the point......

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure, but when I do please don't do the obligatory, can't admit wrong, capitulation, ok?

First of all, although I totally disagree with playing the 90 day game on housing; in this instance they are UO players and it will help them.

Examples:
1) Guy pays for his accounts every month with a 90 day game code. It was ending the day after the flooding. His computer ruined, no family, he lived paycheck to paycheck. He was supposed to get his paycheck the day before, but his day labor job downtown is gone, he can't get a hold of his boss. Suspending the decay gives this guy an extra month to find shelter, get a computer, insurance money, etc. his name is Ted btw.

2) Lady lost her husband in the flood along with their credit cards. They are expiring this month. She was hoping to get to the bank to get new cards and re-up her account. Now she has a funeral to plan, her house is gone, she has no money. Suspending the housing removes just one more thing off her shoulders. This one person makes it worth everyone's inconvience!

We could give example after example, they still wont listen ........or read apparently, as i gave examples earlier in this very thread. ;)
I'm normally one of the first to criticize the UO devs and Mesanna, but this was a good move and if nothing else, just plain good human decency.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Examples:

Again those houses would not go into decay until December, would make much more sense to turn it off at that time when it actually would help those folks. Hell turn it off December and January since that is when their houses would be going IDOC. I am not against helping these folks out at all, I just am not seeing how turning housing of for the Month of September accomplishes that or anything, beyond a emo reaction "see we did something" Turning it off when it would actually matter would give those folks the same extra month and everyone else some warning. Good they want to help but again just not seeing it as effective or well implemented.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again those houses would not go into decay until December, would make much more sense to turn it off at that time when it actually would help those folks. Hell turn it off December and January since that is when their houses would be going IDOC. I am not against helping these folks out at all, I just am not seeing how turning housing of for the Month of September accomplishes that or anything, beyond a emo reaction "see we did something" Turning it off when it would actually matter would give those folks the same extra month and everyone else some warning. Good they want to help but again just not seeing it as effective or well implemented.
I don't understand why you don't get it?
For "whatever reason" some point in September being the month to re-new / re-activate account or house falls within a week of no payment.
They cannot pay or get to a computer THIS month so yes, this is the month it's most needed and NOT December.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For "whatever reason" some point in September being the month to re-new / re-activate account or house falls within a week of no payment.
They cannot pay or get to a computer THIS month so yes, this is the month it's most needed and NOT December.
When did they change it from a 3 month grace period? to One week?

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with them doing this for Texas. We have 7 accounts, and only 3 are active 100% of the time. The other 4 are strictly there for housing and we pay every 4 months... I don't see the problem with that? Please don't discount everyone's accounts because of how they pay, we should be thankful that they pay. Nobody deserves to lose a rares house b/c of flooding. Waiting 4 weeks is the least anyone can do to help, if we were so inclined to help at all.

nobody did the same after the Tsunami in Japan, are only ppl from the states playing this game ? so many sh.. happenes all over the world and nobody cares.
As for the Japan tsunami, this is very true though and very sad/unfortunate. There were people trying to pay for lost people's accounts... people who actually showed up on "missing" lists a month or so later. Hundreds of thousands were displaced. But I believe it was Calvin Crowner's team at the time, although Mesanna was there. They did post and help gather people for a memorial service on March 18th, the Friday following the Earthquake... sadly a lot of English people were there and being idiots, of course. Broadsword also posted an Americares button and allowed donations to go directly to the Japan relief effort for a month or so, which was great.

A lot of Japanese players have quit lately due to certain high ups saying "This is America's game," and their ideas don't matter and such... but that's a different story. I think the dwindling numbers of the Japanese player base speaks for itself as of late. It's mostly because of the question and answer sessions at Meet and Greets from the past though honestly. Rude, not caring, and not listening are things that tend to not be ok in Japanese society. If anyone has never been, I highly, highly recommend a visit to our gaming/anime friends over there. Shop owners will give you free stuff just because you are American. You'll see the most courteous, honorable, nicest people on the planet to boot. Take off your shoes, bow, speak formally only outside of the house, and be 0% rude even at work places like McDonald's... the customers really are always the highest priority.

All in all, this is a very great move for Texas, thank you Mesanna and the Devs. I know UO has a lot of players in Texas... as Richard Garriott himself even lived down there. It's bad for people with open plots who were going to customize something this month, for certain. But this move mostly hurts Idocers... to which I can finally sit back and chuckle since I refuse to ever do Idocs anymore anyway. Idoc man is back too, just so everyone knows. *Sighs and cries...* More people were/are quitting because of idocers and cheating more than anything, I think.

If someone has rares houses, deco houses, or storage houses that they pay every 4 months... and they did not pay 3 months and 4 weeks ago, it would be going Idoc today... actually. Some people like us, do pay like that... as I stated above.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with them doing this for Texas. We have 7 accounts, and only 3 are active 100% of the time. The other 4 are strictly there for housing and we pay every 4 months... I don't see the problem with that? Please don't discount everyone's accounts because of how they pay, we should be thankful that they pay. Nobody deserves to lose a rares house b/c of flooding. Waiting 4 weeks is the least anyone can do to help, if we were so inclined to help at all.

As for the Japan tsunami, this is very true though and very sad/unfortunate. There were people trying to pay for lost people's accounts... people who actually showed up on "missing" lists a month or so later. Hundreds of thousands were displaced. But I believe it was Calvin Crowner's team at the time, although Mesanna was there. They did post and help gather people for a memorial service on March 18th, the Friday following the Earthquake... sadly a lot of English people were there and being idiots, of course. Broadsword also posted an Americares button and allowed donations to go directly to the Japan relief effort for a month or so, which was great.

A lot of Japanese players have quit lately due to certain high ups saying "This is America's game," and their ideas don't matter and such... but that's a different story. I think the dwindling numbers of the Japanese player base speaks for itself as of late. It's mostly because of the question and answer sessions at Meet and Greets from the past though honestly. Rude, not caring, and not listening are things that tend to not be ok in Japanese society. If anyone has never been, I highly, highly recommend a visit to our gaming/anime friends over there. Shop owners will give you free stuff just because you are American. You'll see the most courteous, honorable, nicest people on the planet to boot. Take off your shoes, bow, speak formally only outside of the house, and be 0% rude even at work places like McDonald's... the customers really are always the highest priority.

All in all, this is a very great move for Texas, thank you Mesanna and the Devs. I know UO has a lot of players in Texas... as Richard Garriott himself even lived down there. It's bad for people with open plots who were going to customize something this month, for certain. But this move mostly hurts Idocers... to which I can finally sit back and chuckle since I refuse to ever do Idocs anymore anyway. Idoc man is back too, just so everyone knows. *Sighs and cries...* More people were/are quitting because of idocers and cheating more than anything, I think.

If someone has rares house, deco house, or storage houses that they pay every 4 months... an they did not pay 3 months and 4 weeks ago, it would be going Idoc today... actually. Some people like us, do pay like that... as I stated above.
And that has always been the risk of gaming the system with the 90 day gamble. As far as I am concerned the 90 day free loaders are nothing more than vermin as much as the scripters and multiboxers. Sorry just the way I feel about you folks.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And that has always been the risk of gaming the system with the 90 day gamble. As far as I am concerned the 90 day free loaders are nothing more than vermin as much as the scripters and multiboxers. Sorry just the way I feel about you folks.
Well I can assure you how I will treat you from now on as well, adieu good man. Just for kicks though... the way I feel about "people who pay for 60 accounts every month by debit/credit card" is that they are sad, pathetic slime in real life, as much lifeless as people like idoc man living in his mom's basement. Money doesn't make the person after all... that takes intelligence, empathy, and being cool. Most rich people I know are pretty much ****** bags, which is why they are never cool in high school to begin with. I'm not saying anything about anyone... but just generalizing my thoughts on some people who pay that way, as you did.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh he gets it... he's just trying very hard to push his point for some reason... both here and in the game's chat. He's also insulting over half the player base at the same time... it's quite sad, to be truthful.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I can assure you how I will treat you from now on as well, adieu good man. Just for kicks though... the way I feel about "people who pay for 60 accounts every month by debit/credit card" is that they are sad, pathetic slime in real life, as much lifeless as people like idoc man living in his mom's basement. Money doesn't make the person after all... that takes intelligence, empathy, and being cool. Most rich people I know are pretty much ****** bags, which is why they are never cool in high school to begin with. I'm not saying anything about anyone... but just generalizing my thoughts on some people who pay that way, as you did.
Good to know you are not speaking of me since I don't pay for 60 accounts :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh he gets it... he's just trying very hard to push his point for some reason... both here and in the game's chat. He's also insulting over half the player base at the same time... it's quite sad, to be truthful.
Really I rarely speak in GC and when I do it has never been pushing any point. I also very rarely speak about the 90 day cockroaches.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's fine to disagree about the 90 day system and whether or not this helps people... but insulting other groups of players by calling them "pathetic slime" "cockroaches" "vermin" etc. is going a bit too far even though it isn't directed at one particular person.

Please refrain from using insults like that going forward.

Thanks.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's fine to disagree about the 90 day system and whether or not this helps people... but insulting other groups of players by calling them "pathetic slime" "cockroaches" "vermin" etc. is going a bit too far even though it isn't directed at one particular person.

Please refrain from using insults like that going forward.

Thanks.
Sorry

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
Well, I will have to answer the insult as well
There is a lot of people that own 60+ accs, including myself, for so many reasons... and people like me, scribbles, Joxxer, Nabin and list can go on and on and on, knows how long it takes to place a castle (what We call: a project) you build a 18x18 than few more houses around to hold the spot, untill you get all the pieces to build a castle and that can take years...but that is not my point. Lets put the finance aspect!!

• I have 22 active accs, prepaid for a year all the time = $2640

• 50 accs on cycle, paying every 3 months!!, meaning I pay for those accs 4x a year, $48 per acc, uhm, that is about another $2400 going to the game and If you know how to do math, would be the same thing if I had another 20+ Active accs, and yet you call those people Vermins!!!!

Last edited:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good to know you are not speaking of me since I don't pay for 60 accounts :)
Tyrath.jpg

I was exaggerating a bit... but that's my point only.

... Lets put the finance aspect!!

• 50 accs on cycle, paying every 3 months!!, meaning I pay for those accs 4x a year, $48 per acc, uhm, that is about another $2400 going to the game and If you know how to do math, would be the same thing if I had another 20+ Active accs, and yet you call those people Vermins!!!!
Thank you AR! Just trying to point out that we were not Vermin... hehe. I didn't mean to get into name calling and was just hurling back a response (not meant for any of you guys or us, but just to respond)... I'm very glad all of us support UO, in any manner! Trust me... I would have 60 accounts if I could... just for houses, lol. And I would do it both ways as you do too.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
You know people overall need to stop crying about every single act from the Devs, People on Stratics will always reactive NEGATIVE for everything they do or dont. Yes, BIG DEAL You cant place or trade or sell a house for 30 days, I am sure you have a lot more ingame stuff to do that would take 30,60 days to get done....go clean your house, load vendors, try the new things that are coming...stop pancakes for everything that you have or not and just enjoy the game while you have!!!.
I am happy that at least for 30 days, I dont have to deal with mr xxxguy, and I am sure that a lot of people will be happy as well.

* I hate the pancakes filter

Last edited:

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, I am deeply disappointed by the SELFISH, UNCOMPASSIONATE, SELF-CENTERED AND SELF-ABSORBED behavior and attitudes displayed in this thread! I see your point of view but put yourselves in
in the shoes of both the Texans players affected and the Dev team. If the dev said they were going to take off for a month and go help down in Texas; you CHILDREN would be screaming like your diapers were on overload! Since this is 20th Anniversary month obviously that isn't option.

So, yes they can donate but we would not know as that is a personal choice. They choose to make a visable gesture to their playerbase. This gives them an extra month. if my house was about to go into decay now by
turning it off it holds it and it means those houses won't fall until January.

For those of you that are particularly callous and cold hearted have you ever heard of KARMA? You are lucky that it ISN'T you! Be uncompassionate to the suffer of you fellow human beings and one day you will suffer twice as hard and no compassion will be shown to you.

I have family and friends down there in that nightmare. I have an 80 yr old family friend and his sister we haven't been able to contact. He lives in Rockport, the town that Harvey washed off the map.

I'm gonna leave y'all a modified version of something David Crockett, Texas Hero, said:

Y'all can go to hell, I'm standing with Texas!

Thank you to Mesanna and the Dev team!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a lot of people that own 60+ accs, including myself, for so many reasons... and people like me, scribbles, Joxxer, Nabin and list can go on and on and on, knows how long it takes to place a castle (what We call: a project) you build a 18x18 than few more houses around to hold the spot, untill you get all the pieces to build a castle and that can take years...but that is not my point. Lets put the finance aspect!!

So basically you use the 90 days game to hold housing spots on Atlantic to block other people from being able place and only pay 1/4th of what a active legit account pays. Gotcha.

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I can answer That Castle Question ... As I placed BOTH Atlantic shard Trammel Yew gate castles ..they both took about 5-6 Years to place. as back then I had to deal with Old bugged non decaying houses ..Which seems there are still some people that just pay for their accounts & don't play :yell:!

I'm not as active in Idoc Scene as I once was But yeah I also own little over 70 accounts ..it takes Long time to Place a castle in an upgradeable location.. My Felluca Yew gate castle took 6 years also ... at one time I owned all houses in the North area where EKE house is ( Debate on it being Bugged house still ongoing) but I gave up on that area due to that house ... & I'm glad I did.

OH And Doesn't turning off all housing features Technically shut off the timer as well so if house would fall in December will now fall in January? I don't know but may be reason they did that!

Jeez really makes me wonder about all these people up in arms over this .. I mean stop being THAT GUY and crying :sad2: I DIDNT GET ANYTHING OUT THIS SO IT SHOULDNT BE DONE !!! I mean I'm sure someone in Texas would not hesitate to trade you places and have all there stuff back & all they had to worry about was OH I cant Resize my house or sell a house I just script placed . :eyes::eek: Dang I just said the S word :oops::violin:.... yes there are disasters all over the world and a lot we cant do anything about but this is one small thing the UO Team was able to do to maybe just maybe make things a little easier on those effected by the disasters in Texas.

On Personal disasters like house burning down etc did you Email Messana & even talk to her about suspending your account Etc. She is Human & I bet she could have worked out something with anyone with that kind of problem ...
I mean seriously why Cant you be HAPPY The UO Team cares ..They could have just said Nope sorry about their luck it was an act of God!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SO in the end turning housing off in the month of September helps possibly a few 90 day gamblers and bails them out. Has nothing to do with being callous or a cold heart, just pointing out those folks that play the 90 day game know the risk of playing it and don't warrant a special bailout that does nothing to help or protect legitimate active accounts, aside from giving them a extra month that could have been done any time over the next 60-90 days.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
SO in the end turning housing off in the month of September helps possibly a few 90 day gamblers and bails them out. Has nothing to do with being callous or a cold heart, just pointing out those folks that play the 90 day game know the risk of playing it and don't warrant a special bailout that does nothing to help or protect legitimate active accounts, aside from giving them a extra month that could have been done any time over the next 60-90 days.

Examples:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, I am deeply disappointed by the SELFISH, UNCOMPASSIONATE, SELF-CENTERED AND SELF-ABSORBED behavior and attitudes displayed in this thread! I see your point of view but put yourselves in
in the shoes of both the Texans players affected and the Dev team. If the dev said they were going to take off for a month and go help down in Texas; you CHILDREN would be screaming like your diapers were on overload! Since this is 20th Anniversary month obviously that isn't option.

So, yes they can donate but we would not know as that is a personal choice. They choose to make a visable gesture to their playerbase. This gives them an extra month. if my house was about to go into decay now by
turning it off it holds it and it means those houses won't fall until January.

For those of you that are particularly callous and cold hearted have you ever heard of KARMA? You are lucky that it ISN'T you! Be uncompassionate to the suffer of you fellow human beings and one day you will suffer twice as hard and no compassion will be shown to you.

I have family and friends down there in that nightmare. I have an 80 yr old family friend and his sister we haven't been able to contact. He lives in Rockport, the town that Harvey washed off the map.

I'm gonna leave y'all a modified version of something David Crockett, Texas Hero, said:

Y'all can go to hell, I'm standing with Texas!

Thank you to Mesanna and the Dev team!

BEfore you get too disappointed and as my wife just pointed out, I bought $52,000 worth of non refrigerated foods and bottled water Friday and it was loaded onto a semi yesterday afternoon at the Grocery Warehouse and Pepsi plant and should be at a distribution point being unloaded tmrw morning sometime. But hey I am just a rich douchebag.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I am not wrong there is nothing to capitulate about and certainly felt no obligation.

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CONSPIRACY THEORY: Is it not true that after a month long of being off, after turning back on there will be many 'immediate' (within 7 days) run of idocs, where those away for less than 90 days may also be affected?

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
*Wonders to self. For what reason would somebody need/could even use 50+ accounts, that didn't involve RMT's?*
Let me school you on some of the reasons!!
I have 1 castle on each shard that hold few shard shields, that alone is 20+ accs.
I own over 15+ houses on atlantic alone....that makes 35, i could continue if you want... but I dont owe you any explanation at all on How some people decide to play the game!!.
another scenario, when a Castle somewhere collapse and all of sudden you have 1 18X18 and 10+ 7x7's all around that people placed and if you decide to buy them all , How many more accs do you think will be need? Just like @UNKNOWN of Atlantic said, some castles take years to finally be placed.
But than again, some people here will never understand how the House game work anyway!!

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
BEfore you get too disappointed and as my wife just pointed out, I bought $52,000 worth of non refrigerated foods and bottled water Friday and it was loaded onto a semi yesterday afternoon at the Grocery Warehouse and Pepsi plant and should be at a distribution point being unloaded tmrw morning sometime. But hey I am just a rich douchebag.
Well that's was awesome of you ..But you paid out $52,000 for Charity, but are crying over people who Don't pay $25.98 for 2 months (90 day game pay $12.99 get 3 months) Who like me would have hard time sending $25 let alone Thousands ...

Dude I think you need to grow up & stop crying, Your just crying just to cry!! You apparently don't need to worry about not being able to pay for anything but want to call the blue collar people names! I'm Darn sure there are people on here worse off than I am that go pay check to pay check & do without but pay Their UO bill cus it Gets them away from RL problems so they can get in game Talk to friends from all over the world and forget Real life for a spell.

We Idoc placers fill a nitch in UO. There is not many of us that know full ups and downs of placing keeps & castles ..We do it because its what we like doing . I used to love doing it I remember selling castles In trammel swamp for 500mil Ages ago .. now they are 10 plat :sad2:..

Most players Don't have the accounts We do or the know how ..but because of us they are able to buy that dream house they always wanted and have been working up to get. I don't know I just cant get how people can be Mad over UO team wanting to help their community out.:(:confused: Because I know I'm More thank likely talking to the brick wall over there :wall:This will be my last post on this About Tyrath.. I truly Hope you did send all that $52k amount, But we all know you cant believe what most people say on the internet!

Have a good Labor day & try to stay safe people!!!

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*Wonders to self. For what reason would somebody need/could even use 50+ accounts, that didn't involve RMT's?*
Most of mine I have kept over the years from back when Gamestop was doing the free 15day codes & those could place houses.I just kept them over the years which they came in handy when I needed to open an account I had some to choose from ...

and well years ago when I had all 4 yew gate areas locked down 4-5 houses in each spot north & south of gate felluca & trammel there is 16- 20 houses there not to mention your main house. or any other upgrade spots I was holding ....

Now does anyone have any bottles of Energy for Item sorting ??? 4 castles, 7,500 storage each :eek2: all mostly filled with years of idoc loot ..:sad2: HELP!!!!!!! Get your dirty paws off my loot!!!! :pirate:

Laboring pixels on Labor day :facepalm:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude I think you need to grow up & stop crying, Your just crying just to cry!! You apparently don't need to worry about not being able to pay for anything but want to call the blue collar people names! I'm Darn sure there are people on here worse off than I am that go pay check to pay check & do without but pay Their UO bill cus it Gets them away from RL problems so they can get in game Talk to friends from all over the world and forget Real life for a spell.
Not doing much getting in game and escaping the real world on accounts that are active 1 month out of four are you :) As far as growing up, I did that quite some time ago around 14 years old to be exact. Sorry but you don't start out dirt floor poor in life, inherit nothing, be given nothing and get to where I have by being a child that crys. If you are using a video game to escape your real world problems and doing without to keep game accounts paid, you have serious issues and most likely will have a hard time ever scraping together $25. Hate to tell you this but I am blue collar as they come and have nothing against helping people that need that otherwise would be paying their own way. If you had actually read anything I wrote you would get that. Now if I am meant to muster up a bunch of sympathy for the 90 day free riders.......... It just ain't going to happen. I worked 22 years doing the jobs I seriously doubt someone like you would ever consider doing, and did without so I could save enough money to buy what I wanted, which was a far, that turned into a Corporation, a not for profit subsidiary and three other very profitable subsidiaries under the parent Corp. I hired the most competent people I could find to run those and market them, and while I am the President of the parent Corp and everyone answers to me........ Do you know what I do for a living and how I spend most of my days? Working my little 40 acre owned 160 acre leased farm raising hogs, chickens, and vegetables and going to farmers markets (That yes are owned by one of my subsidiary companies). Until I got sick last year my average work day DOING BLUE COLLAR FARM WORK was 16-18 hours per day from April through October and only 10-12 hours per day 7 days a week in between. I have ZERO debt and never have, None of my companies operate of debt of any kind. So when a kid can leave home at 14 years old with the clothes on his back and reach the point where he can write two checks that vome to $52,873.79 and another check to a friend that is a owner operator of a semi that donated the truck and only ask that I pay the fuel there and back.......... Yeah don't give me any crap about looking down on the blue collar because despite having made A Lot of money I am still very much blue collar. And am looking down on folks that think they are poor because guys like me somehow cheated our way up the ladder at their expense. While they escape their RW problems instead of grabbing those problems by the balls and slamming them down, and then wonder why they can never get ahead in life. For the record I and most other BLUE COLLAR FOLKS DO LOOK DOWN ON FREELOADERS and have much better names for those folks than vermin and cockroaches :)

But back on point, the fact still remains that closing housing down in September accomplishes nothing for legit active account holders that could not have been accomplished with some warning and a couple of months down the road. All it does is give the people that game the system a pat on the head and removed the risk they accepted by playing the 90 day game. Myself I have nothing to gain or lose by this one way or the other, I just hate seeing people that game the system for a free ride get pats on the back and rewarded whether it be in a game or RL.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Housing will always be a sore subject due to how often its scripted and used for real $$ making. Personally I think anyone running more then 10 accounts is doing it to suck the money out of it and aren't helping the game stay alive. All Tyrath was doing was making a point that those houses aren't going to fall in 30 days when it happened a week before. These IDOCER's are just ruining the game. What happens when its back on in OCT/NOV and those people still cant get in game and their house still falls. Anyone that watches houses on more then two shards should be banned for scripting and making the game worse. Its a nice idea that may help one or two people in texas, but in the long run its not gonna make a difference. And in December these same idocers that said they wanted to help will loot those people dry. Its pathetic.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But back on point, the fact still remains that closing housing down in September accomplishes nothing for legit active account holders that could not have been accomplished with some warning and a couple of months down the road. All it does is give the people that game the system a pat on the head and removed the risk they accepted by playing the 90 day game. Myself I have nothing to gain or lose by this one way or the other, I just hate seeing people that game the system for a free ride get pats on the back and rewarded whether it be in a game or RL.
Saying it over and over does not make it true. Why are you refusing to speak to the two examples I gave?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK Children...
That's about enough...
There is a saying ... Damned if you do damned if you don't
Meaning she cant please both sides...
Did it ever occure to any of you the main reason she shut it down this way was to not disturb the system like has happened before?
Last time we got all sorts of bugs, that old system is by now swiss cheese with all the changes over the years most of which she had no say in.
I would not put it past the system one day to erase all of our houses and blow a gasket!

Texas, and the other states Harvey effected may not be the only ones hurting if that cat 3 hurricane Irma has a chance.
Take a look at the weather channel some time...
That fire in California's la tuna canyon was not far from my home...
Imagine the fear in those people's minds as a raging fire is just outside their door.
I can tell you the first thing is not to grab my computer!
My kids and pets come first...
Those flood people were in a very similar boat... sorry for the pun.
Anyone who has ever been in a emergency like that can tell you how much this game counts when you have RL to deal with.
Dead last !

Mesanna read we cared about our fellow players
She took action, I for one thank her so much for her kindness.
Next time it can be you who needs the consideration...

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scenario!
You live in Texas. Terrible natural disaster swiped across your home town. Everything is in ruin and huge core parts of your life simply needs to be thought over. Well, now that you relocated to your Aunt's place life is finally getting back to something bearable and stable. Whew! Time to escape worries and stress of RL by logging to UO and enjoying a nice, calm evening customizing that nice 18x18 you placed two months back.....
NOPE.JPG

There is more life to UO on my home server than I remember seeing in a VERY long time. People seem very drawn in about 20th Anni arc and curious about the birthday in general. I have an impression that many people are currently returning and activating their accounts. Even more people who are , as UO players, usually on different stage of hibernation are waking up and becoming active, " real" players again. Couple of gaming sites are writing articles about the 20th anni stuff. Over the last two weeks or so I've even come across a couple of new players here and there. Not returning vets on new accounts, genuine brand new people checking the game out. There is some token measure of hype around UO. Which is great and insane.

With all of this in mind, it is really, really, really, really ****ing weird decision to disable the housing. It should be clear to all that in this day an age, ability to place, decorate and customize your own house is among most important features UO has in anchoring players to stick around. Disabling it at such peakk of hype? Inability to customize or place a house on Yamato, UO because there was a serious natural disaster in Texas, RL has a couple too many steps along the road of chaos theory for my taste. Bad things, natural disasters, wars, violence and so on happen in the world all the time. It is great if UO devs or players wish to participate or help out those in need of aid. I'd think best way to do so is in the world where these disasters happen. Turning off several of the core features in UO because of RL houses falling is bit..eh...

It is a gesture that radiates it's kindness well. But it is also a bit weird. And provides very questionable measure of help to people in need of help. It is a bit weird way to help and it causes a measure of damage to UO.

UO has thousands of players still. There is a very strong, very unfortunate likelihood that at any given moment dozens are struggling with serious diseases, troubles financial or otherwise or any other dark aspect of life. So..how bout we never turn on housing again?

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I can see both sides of this, I do feel bad for anyone who is suffering through anything horrible, no matter where they are, my thoughts and prayers are with them all! I think the gesture in itself was a kind one, but the way they went about it doesn't make much sense. They should have stopped all houses going into IDOC for 3 months, otherwise it was of very limited use. They shouldn't have turned off house placing. I'm guessing the housing system is an 'all-or-nothing' kind of affair so they had no option.We see a lot of new and returning players at the Europa Bank meet and one of the first things they all want to do is place a house, it makes it easier to swap items between characters when you don't know many people. Not everyone reads stratics, uo.com or indeed even the info as you log-in, so a lot of people will be perplexed about what's happening with housing.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No other globally accessible game played by people worldwide would inconvenience the majority in-game purely due to issues in one part of the world. If a disaster struck where I'm located I'd certainly not expect or advocate for this to happen for me. It's quite amateurish and short-sighted, imo. It is, of course, easy to hop in and support this decision due to the benevolent reasons it was supposedly enacted for and make those pointing out how extreme this is out to be the bad guys, but I can't think of any other global game or business where this kind of stuff would fly without those inconvenienced from rightfully being upset.

At minimum this highlights a flaw in the system which needs to be addressed in that it seems impossible to disable house decay without turning off the entire housing system of placement and customization. Perhaps in future a way could be implemented to disable house decay for situations like this which don't result in the entire world being unable to make use of core game systems?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Often times the thought behind the act of kindness is as important if not more so than the actual act itself.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the gesture in itself was a kind one, but the way they went about it doesn't make much sense. They should have stopped all houses going into IDOC for 3 months, otherwise it was of very limited use. They shouldn't have turned off house placing. [...]
People are spinning Mesanna for their personal profits with "good intentions" for ages. They know she makes her decisions on the spot without giving it much thought. In the end it mostly helps people playing the 90 day roulette while those flooded would have been still safe for at least the next 3 months and will still loose the homes afterwards :popcorn:

Rafman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see a lot of back and forth posts. A lot of people are trying to claim that shutting off housing for September doesn't even help Texans - that shutting it off in December would have been better.
Sorry but - 100% wrong. And here's why, by someone play uo who actually understands how idocs work and all of the mechanisms associated to it, something very few people seem to fully grasp these days.

UO essentially "paused" housing.

Player A in Texas has an account that's been shut off for 60 days, and with a house that would decay in 30 days? Well - no worries. Housing system is "paused". At the end of September, 30 days later, the timer won't be at 90 days, it will remain at 60 days because housing was "paused". So this is the best this player could hope for.

Playing B in Texas has an active account with a house but because of flooding he can't afford uo for a bit and shuts it off Sept 1st. Well he has 90 days to figure things out and reactivate account before he loses his house, right? Wrong - thanks to Mesanna, he gets 120 days, since the 90 days doesn't start till housing get "unpaused" at the end of September. Again - best this player could get, as he gets an extra 30 days to figure things out.

There is literally no scenario or example you can lay out where this wouldn't help someone in Texas who needs it. Anyone in Texas (or other affected area) who needed to log-into uo at any point in time during the month of September to do any type of housing activation/transfer/refreshing whatsoever - well they've been given a 1 month grace period. So this helps more than anything done in december, january, etc.

Finally - I still think it's a bit disappointing that UO's team isn't capable of shutting off house "decay" without also affecting other systems (placing, transfer, resizing, cusotmizing, etc). It's unprofessional, lazy or simply incompetent on their part, but it is what it is. But overall - for anyone claiming this does *NOT* help anyone in Texas - you are plain wrong.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saying it over and over does not make it true. Why are you refusing to speak to the two examples I gave?
Do you mean these two? If so, I did and neither of their houses would go into decay anytime soon.

Examples:

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It gives them an additional month to deal with their individual tragedies....

Status
Not open for further replies.