• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stuff we don't have in UO but should .

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I tried to think of things that didn't sound like they'd be as-difficult to do, and that wouldn't unbalance anything. They've told us there's some events coming soon (Halloween & invasion). My suggestions are things to consider after that's all done.

1 - Craftable paladin swords.
Most 2-handed swords weapons don't look like swords. This one, for all its flaws, does. I suspect most people won't use it but that isn't the point. The point is to have it available.

2 - Craftable Virtue Armor style armor.
Call it "Heroic Armor," named after the armor described in this book:

Heroic Armor of the Italian Renaissance: Filippo Negroli and his Contemporaries | MetPublications | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

3 - Paladin mount.
The possibilities are endless for how to manage this. A new tame-able that is ride-able only by Paladins (think like Lesser Hiryus for Samurais, but for Paladins). An ethy. A statue-to-live mount like the anniversary ponies or the Chief P's swamp dragon. A spell to cast. (Similar to the "Call Warhorse" Paladin ability from old D&D and the similar ability displayed in the legends of Charlemagne's Paladins.)

Also lots of possibilities for how it could look. Could re-hue a Charger of the Fallen. (As I recall in the EC the graphic's the same as a VvV war horse anyway, just a different color, thereby likely making it even easier. Could use this graphic:

Silver Steed - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

4 - Use of Honesty toggle-able, like Honor.
For how hard it is to gain this Virtue seems to go away awfully fast while doing something awfully ordinary: Buying from NPC vendors.

5 - Boss brigands/raiders/NPCs along these lines, and quests to track them down and kill them.
Randomized areas. Quest distribution NPC in town-specific locations and Blackthorn's castle. Clues to random dungeons or locations. Boss scaled to the character(s) on quest. Boss spawns when someone with the quest enters the appropriate area. Reward of titles, loot, Virtue, Loyalty, maybe some stuff along the lines of house signs. This is important because it's in the "more stuff to do" category.

6 - PvP way to get Honor. PvM way to get Justice.
For Honor: Arena fights. For Justice: See 5.

7 - Untimed Peerless Keys.
Potential gains: A sub-economy like those for the gold keys. The ability for people who can't or don't wish to do the Peerlesses themselves to participate in the content. Potential losses: None.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
NO @Anonymous UOPlayer WE NEED MORE DECO AND MORE HUNTSMAN CHALLENGE TROPHIES AND A ONE TIME CASTLE BUILDING CONTEST TOOL - NO TIME FOR PRACTICAL STUFF AND THINGS THAT COULD MAKE UO FUN AGAIN FOOL.

5% kidding i like 3-7. Especially 7 but for whatever reason this seems like it is asking for too much

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, we need.......
1, A decent working Account management system.
2, Zero tolerance "if" you are caught cheating.
3, A lot less "legacy" bugs.
4, A hell of a lot less bugs/exploits period.
5, A working "New player experience".
6, A cash shop that sells things we actually want in-game and not just old junk.
7, Legacy dungeons put back the way they were, if you want to add new systems then add new areas, the world is a big empty place, fill it.
8, NEVER add that fricking Martian junk to the game EVER!
9, Add higher tier stuff to Grandmaster vendors (because player shops don't stock that stuff anymore) but at a higher gold price.
10, Finish one thing before starting another......

Oh and one we all want, Restore the Phoenix to the way it use to look!!!!! ;)

Aeneas

Adventurer
All I wanted are

+ To have legendary stuffs randomly spawned on high end monsters rather than just mostly on the roof.
+ A way to make public forges/tailor shop/empty areas active again. For example:

- A random NPC smith visits a public Britain forge. He can imbue/enhance/refine armors and weapons a little bit better than any player can. Instead of having a chance of breaking things, he has a habit of stealing your stuffs and recalls away. While doing so, some things fall out of his pocket. These are hints for long quests.

You'll need to embark on long quests to seek him out and get your stuff back. This will randomly send you to all areas in the game. The things he can do if truly unique such as taking antique tag off, using whetstone on magical items, powdering replicas etc. He's expensive, very expensive but fun as heck to deal with.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I wanted are

+ To have legendary stuffs randomly spawned on high end monsters rather than just mostly on the roof.
+ A way to make public forges/tailor shop/empty areas active again. For example:

- A random NPC smith visits a public Britain forge. He can imbue/enhance/refine armors and weapons a little bit better than any player can. Instead of having a chance of breaking things, he has a habit of stealing your stuffs and recalls away. While doing so, some things fall out of his pocket. These are hints for long quests.

You'll need to embark on long quests to seek him out and get your stuff back. This will randomly send you to all areas in the game. The things he can do if truly unique such as taking antique tag off, using whetstone on magical items, powdering replicas etc. He's expensive, very expensive but fun as heck to deal with.
I don't know why players just can't craft some of the best items in the game...I appreciate your point of view and the time and thought you put into this post, but we have enough grinds in the game already. The love of crafting would increase if players could actually make stuff worth selling again.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with the "Phoenix obsessed" :p gentleman about the dungeons. The peerless key thing is crap for lack of a better term. I always felt that instanced dungeons or even a champ spawn type set up would be a better method to access the peerless monsters.I feel that there would be a lot more people doing peerless if this was the case. As with Doom and blackthorn drops, maybe we should have the option to turn in things to get some of the hard to find peerless rewards.

I can't stress enough the need for crafters being relevant again.

calibek

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A LOT of things need changed about this game. The biggest problems were introduced in Age of Shadows and were allowed to fester. Some of the major ones that need removed or reworked:

- Removal of all these stupid mods on armor as well as resistances. The old method of armor was good enough. This isn't freaking Diablo 2 (which is what the developers of AoS were trying to emmulate).
- LRC should have never been added. One system they could have done was no reagent cost for the lesser level spells with more reagents required the higher level spell.
- Crafting should produce the BEST armor and weapons in game. A system where in order to create incredible items with great power would require the crafter to have incredibly powerful materials (some through experienced gathers others off of the most powerful monsters, which would give both gathers and adventurers a purpose amd require item creators to rely on both) and can only be created in special places. For instance to craft the most powerful magic sword it would require a forge set up near the hottest lava. This would promote camaraderie between gatherers, crafters and adventurers.
- Power and stat scrolls NEVER being introduced. They just increased the disparity between the haves and have-nots.
- Trammel being introduced. I'm not saying there should have never been safe lands or areas, but to have an ENTIRE mirror image facet was ridiculous. Or at the very least make only certain areas lawless. I mean did they not think that producing a mirror image facet would fracture the player base. (And this isn't a target to PvP vs. PvM, this is just stating that producing 2 mirror image facets would obviously segregate people).
- Having some skills be ABSOLUTELY useless. Who uses camping or Item ID anymore? Make ALL skills have a point or be relevent.
- Make food give some form of buff. Right now cooking is just used for basically decoration when that skill could be used for SO MUCH MORE.
- Having weapons special moves require mana. I mean if the move is magical in nature I can understand it, but have something like mortal wound or shadow strike use mana has got to be the most asinine thing I have seen. I mean do I gather magical power to swing a sword? No. Those kind of physical attacks should cost STAMINA not mana.
- Removing the stamina reduction with platemail. I mean seriously, platemail is freaking heavy. Now if someone has high enough strength then reducing the stamina reduction would be something but warriors should be warriors and plate should require some form of slowdown. But it also provides superior physical protection.

These are just a few things I have thought of. Honestly I wish they would rip these things out but realistically the game has had this stuff longer now than it hasn't so doing this would pretty much kill UO because people are just used to this. A lot of the ideas implemented are really good (champ spawns were fun, Peerless are as well) but the problem was the AoS tried to breathe life into the game by making it more item based and that, IMO, made this game worse off.

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Trammel being introduced. I'm not saying there should have never been safe lands or areas, but to have an ENTIRE mirror image facet was ridiculous. Or at the very least make only certain areas lawless. I mean did they not think that producing a mirror image facet would fracture the player base. (And this isn't a target to PvP vs. PvM, this is just stating that producing 2 mirror image facets would obviously segregate people).
It segregated those who enjoyed slaughtering anyone they saw and ruining those people's fun from those who wanted to PvM, craft, and play and learn the game.

Trammel's population compared to fel's population makes it very clear the non-PvP Trammel was badly needed to stop the exodus of paying customers from UO. The kill-crazed wolves were ruining the fun of and driving to many customers out of the game. Without Trammel and all the non-pvp areas added since, UO would have shutdown due to lack of enough paying customers within a few years and not still be here for us to enjoy.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A LOT of things need changed about this game. The biggest problems were introduced in Age of Shadows and were allowed to fester. Some of the major ones that need removed or reworked:

- Removal of all these stupid mods on armor as well as resistances. The old method of armor was good enough. This isn't freaking Diablo 2 (which is what the developers of AoS were trying to emmulate).
- LRC should have never been added. One system they could have done was no reagent cost for the lesser level spells with more reagents required the higher level spell.
- Crafting should produce the BEST armor and weapons in game. A system where in order to create incredible items with great power would require the crafter to have incredibly powerful materials (some through experienced gathers others off of the most powerful monsters, which would give both gathers and adventurers a purpose amd require item creators to rely on both) and can only be created in special places. For instance to craft the most powerful magic sword it would require a forge set up near the hottest lava. This would promote camaraderie between gatherers, crafters and adventurers.
- Power and stat scrolls NEVER being introduced. They just increased the disparity between the haves and have-nots.
- Having some skills be ABSOLUTELY useless. Who uses camping or Item ID anymore? Make ALL skills have a point or be relevent.
- Make food give some form of buff. Right now cooking is just used for basically decoration when that skill could be used for SO MUCH MORE.

These are just a few things I have thought of. Honestly I wish they would rip these things out but realistically the game has had this stuff longer now than it hasn't so doing this would pretty much kill UO because people are just used to this. A lot of the ideas implemented are really good (champ spawns were fun, Peerless are as well) but the problem was the AoS tried to breathe life into the game by making it more item based and that, IMO, made this game worse off.
I like LRC suits to be honest, it sucked having to lug a bag of regs around all the time :p You made a lot of great points but I highlighted what I feel is your best point in red. This is a perfect way to make crafting viable again.

calibek

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It segregated those who enjoyed slaughtering anyone they saw and ruining those people's fun from those who wanted to PvM, craft, and play and learn the game.

Trammel's population compared to fel's population makes it very clear the non-PvP Trammel was badly needed to stop the exodus of paying customers from UO. The kill-crazed wolves were ruining the fun of and driving to many customers out of the game. Without Trammel and all the non-pvp areas added since, UO would have shutdown due to lack of enough paying customers within a few years and not still be here for us to enjoy.
That is a matter of debate as far as would it have shut down or not, and quite frankly, not one I care to get into.

I have no issues with the safe zones, in fact i agree that they are needed, but why an ABSOLUTE mirror of the two. They could have done several fixes that WOULD NOT have cut the player base but they opted for the easiest route which shows complete and utterly laziness in design.

Again I agree something needed to be done, but what was done was a significant blow and created more problems than it probably fixed.

calibek

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like LRC suits to be honest, it sucked having to lug a bag of regs around all the time :p You made a lot of great points but I highlighted what I feel is your best point in red. This is a perfect way to make crafting viable again.
When they came out I liked them as well. But after a while I saw the problems they can cause. Couple this with Item insurance (another terrible idea) and you have magery on the go.

Some different ideas they could have done was make 4 different kinds of magic: Battle, defensive, utility, and summon. Utility and defensive magic requiring little to no reagents depending on their circle with level 1 and 2 battle magic requiring no reagents but the higher up in circles you went the more reagents they cost, with summoning magic requiring the most reagents. This would not make pure mages completely useless if they didn't have reagents and sitting ducks if they died (like they were before LRC), but it would also give them incentive to carry some reagents around. Another one vould have been a reagent bag that was blessed and kept 50 of each reagent.

As far as the crafting thing I think almost EVERYTHING in the world should come from crafters. Maybe have a rare thing here and there that has no use beyond looks. I think the special ingredients from peerless was a step in the right direction. I just think that the entire system could be given A LOT more love and fleshed out better. The current crafting system is somehow both pointless without imbuing and just an overly bloated mess with all the things you can do to items, yet somehow, makes them no better then stuff you can find off of a high end monster corpse.

Oh and neon colors. For God sakes were these seriously needed? My eyes want to bleed just looking at some of these butt ugly colors.

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no issues with the safe zones, in fact i agree that they are needed, but why an ABSOLUTE mirror of the two. They could have done several fixes that WOULD NOT have cut the player base but they opted for the easiest route which shows complete and utterly laziness in design.
I suspect it was sheer urgency, "Oh Crap! we're starting to loose customers faster than they're coming in!" The makers of UO did the fastest thing they could to stop the customer loss as fast as possible shy of just dropping PvP completely. Creating a new land area, dungeons and all, likely would have taken a long time, and they'd have lost to many customers to keep the game running by then.

The customers flocked to Tram and stopped closing their accounts.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Back in 98-99 it was so damn hard to get ahead with all the pking going on something had to be done but I feel they could have done something different instead of splitting the community the way they did

Look how it's played out years later pvp vs tramys it's a slit community with most players not working together to balance the game it seems

It's was a way more intense game back then not sure my old heart could handle that now ahhh the good ole days

calibek

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect it was sheer urgency, "Oh Crap! we're starting to loose customers faster than they're coming in!" The makers of UO did the fastest thing they could to stop the customer loss as fast as possible shy of just dropping PvP completely. Creating a new land area, dungeons and all, likely would have taken a long time, and they'd have lost to many customers to keep the game running by then.

The customers flocked to Tram and stopped closing their accounts.
I doubt it was that drastic that they couldn't have found a MUCH better way. Back then UO had no real competition except maybe EQ, so I doubt the game would have closed down if they took their time to implement a better solution. I mean the game is still going today, and it has A LOT more competition than it did before.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
When we/I first start playing, we/I went lo look for this in the lost lands and I had hoped that the new tameable mount in the lost lands would have been the silver steed

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Why didn't they keep one land mass and make pvp 'duels' by consent only? If you had a pvp toggle as they have in other games, they wouldn't have split players into so much of a 'them and us' scenario!

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
id like to see an ancient Egyptian era type place in UO.....not just a few pyramids stuck in sand ......id actually like to have a place listed on the moon gate like Edon. where you could pledge loyalty to the gods for rewards, or battle them for different rewards. it could bring new boat styles, new fish from the great rivers, artifacts......each area could be ruled by a god, with said gods minions roaming about. it could introduce archeology as a skill, and let you chose to be a grave robber or a historian " turning in your finds to museums " ....and damnit i want some camels! lol you could even throw in some new plants *coughs* palms & water reed type things....that you could get seeds for ..........lots n lots of potential there

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
id like to see an ancient Egyptian era type place in UO.....not just a few pyramids stuck in sand ......id actually like to have a place listed on the moon gate like Edon. where you could pledge loyalty to the gods for rewards, or battle them for different rewards. it could bring new boat styles, new fish from the great rivers, artifacts......each area could be ruled by a god, with said gods minions roaming about. it could introduce archeology as a skill, and let you chose to be a grave robber or a historian " turning in your finds to museums " ....and damnit i want some camels! lol you could even throw in some new plants *coughs* palms & water reed type things....that you could get seeds for ..........lots n lots of potential there
LOL you just described a whole area in RuneScape :)

Why didn't they keep one land mass and make pvp 'duels' by consent only? If you had a pvp toggle as they have in other games, they wouldn't have split players into so much of a 'them and us' scenario!
I'd find that very boring. Safe zones with the unsafe zones that carry great benefits..is one of the better ideas, IMHO.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a suggestion but I do not know the devs available time and resources, nor am I nerdy enough to understand coding or what something like this may require. I would like to see a Stygian Abyss type expansion where you can truly play an orc or a half-orc. I don't see many people messing around with the Orc dungeons or Orc Forts anymore. I think they should change the Orc Forts into villages with Orc NPC'S . Players would have to do a quest to "learn" the orcish language so they can understand the orcs. The Orc dungeon could be turned into a place where there can be an Orc Peerless boss, and maybe even a champ spawn on fel. This way there can still be evil, uncivilized orcs in UO. I am sure people will say that Orc's are beastly and stupid and not playable in UO. All one has to do is look into the Orc Dungeon and see that there is intricate mining equipment to know that isn't the case. It is also implied that they are blacksmiths.
I realize crafting has tons of content and some believe too much content, I believe this idea could make crafting viable again. Since I don't think the devs would be on board with a full throttle change to crafting. I say the Orcs can teach crafters to specialize in certain areas. The characters could potentially make legendary type of equipment in the specialty fields Like blacksmithy - weapon specialization. This could require Imbuing as well. One crafter, one specialization area. This could potentially make player made equipment more viable and have to work with other crafters who specialize in other fields.
Other things I would like to see are
Orcish armor and weapons
More Orcish housing pieces, maybe even a preset 18x18 Orc fort.
I am curious what people would think about this. I do not know if it will ever happen but feel it would make the orcs a part of the game again. I also think that crafting would get a huge boost by this as players would have more incentive to craft and sell items than they do now. Who knows it may peak interest from former players or even new players.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
easy one this and a no brainer for the devs.... a main house and one 7x7 hut!! on every shard you wish to place one per account.....BE HONEST the malas snow scapes , barren deserts and green acres need some much needed LOVE....

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also think that crafting would get a huge boost by this as players would have more incentive to craft and sell items than they do now. Who knows it may peak interest from former players or even new players.
Insurance makes it a very brief thing though. The new stuff would sell well until everyone had it, then the demand for it would die off.

calibek

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a suggestion but I do not know the devs available time and resources, nor am I nerdy enough to understand coding or what something like this may require. I would like to see a Stygian Abyss type expansion where you can truly play an orc or a half-orc. I don't see many people messing around with the Orc dungeons or Orc Forts anymore. I think they should change the Orc Forts into villages with Orc NPC'S . Players would have to do a quest to "learn" the orcish language so they can understand the orcs. The Orc dungeon could be turned into a place where there can be an Orc Peerless boss, and maybe even a champ spawn on fel. This way there can still be evil, uncivilized orcs in UO. I am sure people will say that Orc's are beastly and stupid and not playable in UO. All one has to do is look into the Orc Dungeon and see that there is intricate mining equipment to know that isn't the case. It is also implied that they are blacksmiths.
I realize crafting has tons of content and some believe too much content, I believe this idea could make crafting viable again. Since I don't think the devs would be on board with a full throttle change to crafting. I say the Orcs can teach crafters to specialize in certain areas. The characters could potentially make legendary type of equipment in the specialty fields Like blacksmithy - weapon specialization. This could require Imbuing as well. One crafter, one specialization area. This could potentially make player made equipment more viable and have to work with other crafters who specialize in other fields.
Orcish armor and weapons
I am curious what people would think about this. I do not know if it will ever happen but feel it would make the orcs a part of the game again. I also think that crafting would get a huge boost by this as players would have more incentive to craft and sell items than they do now. Who knows it may peak interest from former players or even new players.
You are correct, crafting has a ton of content. Problem is it just isn't good content. Enhancing, refinement, etc. make things MORE complicated then they need to be. If something is complex to add layers or make it fun that is one thing, but complexity just for complexity sake is problematic at best and destructive at worst.

Enhancing was introduced to make items gotten off creatures more powerful, but with the introduction of imbuing, is it REALLY needed?

Imbuing was a great additional skill but were all the excess materials needed? Why not use stuff already present and make it viable.

Refining was another system. I'm not even sure what the point is of it anymore but I know it just added another layer of unneeded complexity and more items necessary to keep track of.

One thing I loved about UO was it was a WORLD to play in. Now it has turned into just another game that I need spreadsheets just to keep up on. I'm sorry, but THAT is just not fun to me.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Insurance makes it a very brief thing though. The new stuff would sell well until everyone had it, then the demand for it would die off.
Possibly but imbued items will eventually break and more items will be needed. Plus people could upgrade to newer and better items. It's kinda like finding a better legendary and using that instead. These are just thoughts I have, I really hope crafting can be as important as it used to be but I am probably whistling in the wind.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Orcish armor and weapons
Orcs were my vote for a player race, since the have a much more significant role in UO than Gargs or Elves. But Do Not mess with the Orc Mine it is one of my favorite places in the game as it is :) I spend way to much time in level 3 training noob characters up on the earth els and farming gold and shadow iron from the brutes and mining.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
easy one this and a no brainer for the devs.... a main house and one 7x7 hut!! on every shard you wish to place one per account.....BE HONEST the malas snow scapes , barren deserts and green acres need some much needed LOVE....
Good wish- I'd love it - but they'd rather see you buy another account, or 2 or 3 or 5 or 6.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still maintain you can't have an Underworld without Drow... they could have a Drow themed Peerless encounter with Drowish male archers, female mages, and the end would have a couple of dryder's and an Evil Queen... who becomes a giant nasty spider worse than Navrey...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I want an ingame Friends List with messaging features.

I also want an ingame mail feature that allows people to send items/gold to people on their shard. No, mailboxes don't really cut it as I know plenty of people who never notice the little flag. (and no, NOT a rehash of the last email thing they tacked into the game. It was a PoS)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOL you just described a whole area in RuneScape :)
Yep, I remember that area too hehe

The Wilderness was such a fun place to be in Runescape too in the old days!

I remember how exciting it was trying to farm dragons up there (to make gold and buy dragon plate armor at the Grand Exchange in Varrock of course) and have to fight off another player every few minutes while still dealing with the dragon.

I also remember how accomplished I felt when I managed to make it all the way to the top at the mage dueling tower without dying for the first time. It looked so simple at first, but wow having to dodge or beat 50+ players wanting to kill you along the way while you traveled up there, without dying a single time, was pretty hard!

(Yes I was an extreme Runescape nerd for awhile).

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, I remember that area too hehe

The Wilderness was such a fun place to be in Runescape too in the old days!

I remember how exciting it was trying to farm dragons up there (to make gold and buy dragon plate armor at the Grand Exchange in Varrock of course) and have to fight off another player every few minutes while still dealing with the dragon.

I also remember how accomplished I felt when I managed to make it all the way to the top at the mage dueling tower without dying for the first time. It looked so simple at first, but wow having to dodge or beat 50+ players wanting to kill you along the way while you traveled up there, without dying a single time, was pretty hard!

(Yes I was an extreme Runescape nerd for awhile).
LOL you might remember me from the High Scores Tyrsbreath was my RS name. I ran #2 Behind TKS forever, Could never bring myself to take the number one spot from my best friend in game. Zezima finally passed both of us. Got a Email from a friend in London saying him and his brother were building new browser based game and asked if I would be interested in trying it out. Hehe Jagex was one server in a garage back then with epic lag and they jumped up to 4 servers when it went public. Andrew and Paul are long gone from Jagex now and made a tidy profit from what I hear. My biggest claim to fame other than the #2 spot was I was the first to 99 defense and mining. Last time I looked I had dropped to like 54,000 in the high scores. Back then I ran with TKS, Angelmoon, Asian Shorty, Amazonia (Who was a dude LOL), Lt Angel, Fookajii and Zezima. A few of us were playing UO at the same time and I think Shorty and Angelmoon still play UO. I got deployed for a extend vacation in South/Central America and then 911 happened and off to the middle east..... I hate the middle east BTW between Camel Spiders and finding sand in places I didn't know I had places....... Finally returned home mostly in one piece and got back into games again but never really could get back into RS it just changed too much.

Always like RS PvP the combat triangle was probably the most balanced I have seen. But still had gimps like the Prayer Beast got more than a few of the notable PKs to skull on my Monk and get piled in 3 hits. guy named Red Dwarf got a few trips to Edgeville from deep in the wilderness, While I was hitting the runite rocks.

Had a epic war at the lesser demons myself and 2 others were farming rune helmets, when two from another clan showed up and then four more, then 6 of our friends, then a dozen more of theirs, and when it was all said and done over 300 people were fighting there. Was proud of my little clan, of the 18 of us only 3 died and everyone stayed in formation picking the best opposing PvPs to eliminate first and none of us skulled. After a hour we withdrew fighting all the way to edgeville out lobsters and swordies.... Sharks were not in the game yet and the best armor was rune. Members had just came out so a few of us had dragon long swords and axes but most were still swinging rune two handers and axes.

Don't know how it is now but back then they had zero tolerance for cheaters. Loved seeing the system messages naming the cheater, their offense and their new status as perm banned. That is something UO could stand to have :) Something like the Combat triangle would not hurt either, but that would be next to impossible given the different skills and template combos in UO. I always thought something like the Grand Exchange would be perfect for UO in combination with Vendors. Although the drawback to the GE is we could manipulate prices to go insane high or low, I am guessing they fixed that though..... One Character per account but not bound to any one server worked well... Particularly for a server hopping rune miner and only 4 others that could mine rune ore at that time and they were all easy kills at the wilderness rune rocks. Housing when it came out sucked...... I hated the instanced housing and the way they did it. No mounts, limited teleporting/recalling, lots of walking. Knees that didn't bend making everyone look like they had a set of peg legs in their pants...............

Anyway nice trip down memory lane, If you go from the closed one server days of RS it is only about a year or so younger than UO. Logged in on one of my RS accounts and looked at the server numbers....... Seems like it still has a booming population and lots of white dots running around on the mini map.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I would like to have the 'online/last-login' guild list extended to the whole alliance, the number of times I thought nobody was on and it turned out there were 5 or 6 people but none of us could see the others!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOL you might remember me from the High Scores Tyrsbreath was my RS name. I ran #2 Behind TKS forever, Could never bring myself to take the number one spot from my best friend in game. Zezima finally passed both of us. Got a Email from a friend in London saying him and his brother were building new browser based game and asked if I would be interested in trying it out. Hehe Jagex was one server in a garage back then with epic lag and they jumped up to 4 servers when it went public. Andrew and Paul are long gone from Jagex now and made a tidy profit from what I hear. My biggest claim to fame other than the #2 spot was I was the first to 99 defense and mining. Last time I looked I had dropped to like 54,000 in the high scores. Back then I ran with TKS, Angelmoon, Asian Shorty, Amazonia (Who was a dude LOL), Lt Angel, Fookajii and Zezima. A few of us were playing UO at the same time and I think Shorty and Angelmoon still play UO. I got deployed for a extend vacation in South/Central America and then 911 happened and off to the middle east..... I hate the middle east BTW between Camel Spiders and finding sand in places I didn't know I had places....... Finally returned home mostly in one piece and got back into games again but never really could get back into RS it just changed too much.

Always like RS PvP the combat triangle was probably the most balanced I have seen. But still had gimps like the Prayer Beast got more than a few of the notable PKs to skull on my Monk and get piled in 3 hits. guy named Red Dwarf got a few trips to Edgeville from deep in the wilderness, While I was hitting the runite rocks.

Had a epic war at the lesser demons myself and 2 others were farming rune helmets, when two from another clan showed up and then four more, then 6 of our friends, then a dozen more of theirs, and when it was all said and done over 300 people were fighting there. Was proud of my little clan, of the 18 of us only 3 died and everyone stayed in formation picking the best opposing PvPs to eliminate first and none of us skulled. After a hour we withdrew fighting all the way to edgeville out lobsters and swordies.... Sharks were not in the game yet and the best armor was rune. Members had just came out so a few of us had dragon long swords and axes but most were still swinging rune two handers and axes.

Don't know how it is now but back then they had zero tolerance for cheaters. Loved seeing the system messages naming the cheater, their offense and their new status as perm banned. That is something UO could stand to have :) Something like the Combat triangle would not hurt either, but that would be next to impossible given the different skills and template combos in UO. I always thought something like the Grand Exchange would be perfect for UO in combination with Vendors. Although the drawback to the GE is we could manipulate prices to go insane high or low, I am guessing they fixed that though..... One Character per account but not bound to any one server worked well... Particularly for a server hopping rune miner and only 4 others that could mine rune ore at that time and they were all easy kills at the wilderness rune rocks. Housing when it came out sucked...... I hated the instanced housing and the way they did it. No mounts, limited teleporting/recalling, lots of walking. Knees that didn't bend making everyone look like they had a set of peg legs in their pants...............

Anyway nice trip down memory lane, If you go from the closed one server days of RS it is only about a year or so younger than UO. Logged in on one of my RS accounts and looked at the server numbers....... Seems like it still has a booming population and lots of white dots running around on the mini map.
I made a new Runescape account just because of this conversation... first impression, it is currently 6 Am Eastern Time:

Untitled1111.png

When is the last time anyone saw almost 29,000 people simultaneously logged into UO, at 6 Am?

It must be because the graphics are so awesome right?

Untitled9999.png

Untitled.png

I don't understand... how does a game just as old as UO with significantly worse graphics get 29,000 players (in classic mode, not counting the new version they have) yet UO can barely get 50 to show up for an announced event? It defies all logic o.0

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't understand... how does a game just as old as UO with significantly worse graphics get 29,000 players (in classic mode, not counting the new version they have) yet UO can barely get 50 to show up for an announced event? It defies all logic o.0
Great example of a successful MMORPG that UO should take some tips from... i've played the newer version when I was taking a break and it kept me very engaged. It should be noted that this game is F2P and also browser compatible, but here are some things we could be doing here that they do very well
  • Part F2P/Subscription model (Game is F2P but you need to subscribe for more access/housing)
  • Free Advertising (It's everywhere on social media and I still receive quarterly emails from them)
  • Squeal of Fortune/Treasure Hunter (A daily incentive spinning wheel/treasure chest that gives prizes ranging from buffs to rare items)
  • Constant updates and bug fixes

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made a new Runescape account just because of this conversation... first impression, it is currently 6 Am Eastern Time:

View attachment 70397

When is the last time anyone saw almost 29,000 people simultaneously logged into UO, at 6 Am?

View attachment 70398

View attachment 70399

I remember a few months ago they were running commercials on Hulu and Youtube. I have always said Runescape is a Cardinal Piece of crap as far as graphics go and no one cares. It is the playability of the adventure and the interactive world. Skilling is not fast or easy after 70ish to go from 98 skill to 99 takes as many points as it took to go from 0-98. Tutorial island it seems has not changed much. I tried logging into oldschool RS but would have to pay my sub and I am avoiding doing that. So basically they are supporting two clients. At 2:30 when I logged in there were 18,000 people on, talking to a friend that still plays RS and she says at primetime on a weekend she sees 100,000+ on regularly.

This is what broadsword needs to look at and in many ways emulate. Particularly the Paid subs and free to play. There are serious restrictions for F2P and the f2p are limited to the f2p servers, while the members can go any place and on any server. The equipment restriction and content restrictions......... By all rights RS should not be a popular MMORPG, Certainly not a top tier in terms of the sheer number of people playing. People leave but new people replace them. LOL and there must be something that notes your log in, because this morning I have a canned email telling me if I need help accessing my other accounts to use the account recovery system or sent a email to the team.

UO CC graphics are about 100X better than RS, playability is about equal. Where things diverge it seems is........ Bugs in RS don't get very old. New content is released almost monthly. They have customer service. Cheating is still not tolerated, still happens but they are always hunting it down and issuing bans and breaking the bots. Real World Trading also not tolerated and it seems they don't hesitate to go after sue RWTers. LOL I guess for first infractions there are cages cheaters are teleported to with crates of rotten tomatoes that people can throw at the caged cheaters and NPCs that throw rotten tomatoes at them as well. A few basic changes in how UO is handled and how the team interacts with the players collectively and individually and UOs population would increase A LOT. Oh and some basic advertising and the F2P being limited content bait to lure paid subs in.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great example of a successful MMORPG that UO should take some tips from... i've played the newer version when I was taking a break and it kept me very engaged. It should be noted that this game is F2P and also browser compatible, but here are some things we could be doing here that they do very well
  • Part F2P/Subscription model (Game is F2P but you need to subscribe for more access/housing)
  • Free Advertising (It's everywhere on social media and I still receive quarterly emails from them)
  • Squeal of Fortune/Treasure Hunter (A daily incentive spinning wheel/treasure chest that gives prizes ranging from buffs to rare items)
  • Constant updates and bug fixes
And don't forget the double experience weekends :)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would start with a producer that is not only catering to some close friends, but oh well....

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

View attachment 70397

View attachment 70398

View attachment 70399

because the figures are not true
like back in the WOW days when they claimed 15 million people played or whatever....simply not true......a mere play on words and actual figures

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.......... again this is simple and do-able and would probably attract more new players and old ones back because u would have more freedom to play any shard and not from the bankbox....nobody would close 4 accunts they have 4 castles on...... like so many people have....no revenue would be lost....because we are talking one main house per account and the ability to place a simple hut 7x7 or 8x8 on any shard u wish too.....and again lets be really honest again ....the barren lands of malas and feluuca would still look empty on every shard bar atlantic if this did happen!!! the people with 4 paying accounts and 4 castles.... and even the people with +10 accounts and +10 castles can simply place more extra 7x7s...because they pay there way...even there own mini village in malas!!!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
because the figures are not true
like back in the WOW days when they claimed 15 million people played or whatever....simply not true......a mere play on words and actual figures
Actually those figures are true, the however many millions of runescape accts does not differentiate between multiple, free and member accounts so not a good indicator of how many actual people, I know like 50 of those accounts created are mine, so yeah that number can be misleading. But the number of players logged in number is accurate, logged in today and looked and 92,000 were playing. Even logged into a server and ran around a bit, there were people pretty much every where I went on a server near capacity. UO really should be sporting those kinds of numbers given the games are comparable in age and despite the problems UO is higher in quality.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For UO to attract new players, EA/BS would need to buy some advertising...banner ads on gaming sites or Facebook at bare minimum. They've relied on the playerbase conning their friends and family into playing for way, way too long.

Then of course there's the lack of a meaningful NPE...

:wall:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For UO to attract new players, EA/BS would need to buy some advertising...banner ads on gaming sites or Facebook at bare minimum. They've relied on the playerbase conning their friends and family into playing for way, way too long.

Then of course there's the lack of a meaningful NPE...

:wall:
I think the problem is EA/BS looks at advertising as a expense rather than a essential investment.