• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Ultima Online’s 20th Anniversary Party

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think the registration is just to get an idea of how many people are going and are going to get a room at that hotel so Mesanna can call and ask for a quote on so many rooms.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Woot Deff gana make it again this time :), suprised it dident ask for a email when you put in the regeresration.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
$100 a night? Holy shiznit....seriously? sighs

I just did a quick check for me and my kids (Yes I'd have to bring them with)

View attachment 63421

If you book it now, that's not bad...not sure what Mesanna's discount rates are going to be, probably depends on how many people register.

But the airfare is what kills me...cheapest is $667.....(Wish I had a babysitter) With just me it would be around $230...still a bit steep for a single mom lol.

Oh well...hope ya'll have fun!
$100/night is LOW for metro hotels, in my experience.

Gen Con, now that it's in Indy, runs $200-$400 a night for the hotels that are in walking distance. And, I'm attending a con that has a lot of SF authors (limited to 750 attendees, including staff and guests, who have to pay their own way). where the rooms start at $118, Chattanooga at the end of June.

If you shop around the airfare sites, you might be able to get a LOT better fare.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda tempted to just go ahead and book the room, the rates not that bad as it is.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been to 2 events in Va before for UO. Both were back in the Fairfax days, though. I have to do down into TN on US 25E almost to Sevier County (where the fires were a few months ago), catch I-81, then come up I-81 to I-66, then over to the DC area. Alternatively, I can go up to I-64 and go east, but that involves going through WV and adding 30-60 miles. It's a 500+ mile drive for me

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe i can blast down there for a night Va not that far from NJ I might have to kick kelmos ass

PS where my governors brit Atlantic tag :p

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Registered, though I'll probably be staying with family in Maryland, it's only an hour drive or so from them.

@Mesanna, for day 2, I'd probably bring my wife and son. The registation form doesn't have anything about a # of attendees or anything like that. I'd guess I won't be the only one with family in tow; hopefully you're not basing the BBQ headcount on just the number of registrations?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Registered, though I'll probably be staying with family in Maryland, it's only an hour drive or so from them.

@Mesanna, for day 2, I'd probably bring my wife and son. The registation form doesn't have anything about a # of attendees or anything like that. I'd guess I won't be the only one with family in tow; hopefully you're not basing the BBQ headcount on just the number of registrations?
Make a new registration for each person, just say they won't be staying at the hotel.

chargar42

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best thing about staying at the Hyatt is on Thurs night, when folks are coming in and getting settled in, there will be lots of folks in the lobby just sitting around, talking, getting to know each other etc. At the 15th party, there were a couple EM's and a dev or two...It was pretty cool!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Maybe I'm jaded by New York City prices, but airport hotels aren't usually cheaper than $100 bucks a night no matter where you go. It's not like they're suggesting putting us up in a Motel 6.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
bringing the wife, kicking and screaming
I would definitely leave mine at home for something like this... she despises the game and the amount of hours I spend on the computer most nights lol. Plus someone's gonna watch over the kids while daddy's gone hehe :p. Sadly i'm not going though :(... hope someone will be tapping the party for the rest of us

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would definitely leave mine at home for something like this... she despises the game and the amount of hours I spend on the computer most nights lol. Plus someone's gonna watch over the kids while daddy's gone hehe :p. Sadly i'm not going though :(... hope someone will be tapping the party for the rest of us
Yeah asked her if she wanted to spend a weekend in Virginia and she was like, "yeah that'd be nice." Which promptly turned to, "Why don't you go alone or take a nerdy friend with you." when I told her what for lol

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wish I could go but... not only is it expensive... but single white older female traveling alone... Just sounds like an invitation to something bad. Especially if I had any idea like taking a bus or train... and then having to get from there to the hotel... alone... just sounds... bad.

Bucs Den Inc.

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Wish I could go but... not only is it expensive... but single white older female traveling alone... Just sounds like an invitation to something bad. Especially if I had any idea like taking a bus or train... and then having to get from there to the hotel... alone... just sounds... bad.
We will send a gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can hardly wait for the trip. Not driving, hiking, biking, trainspotting, nor hot air ballooning...instead, a la Keith of Sonoma, flying the friendly skies, mainly because I can't find a nearby moongate!

Less than two years ago, after my husband's passing, just had to get out of the house and recharge my soul. Made a solo 4800+ miles drive-about trek from Colorado to Ohio, upstate New York, and Virginia, to visit guildmates and family. Actually, guildies are just as caring and close to my heart as family! Also stopped for memorable meals in Baltimore, Philly, and St. Louis. If it weren't for a loving cat (permanently "lent" to me by my niece) being cared for by kind neighbors, I would have dilly dallied longer and flyfished my way back home.

MalagAste, I'm an aging female and alone, unless you count the feline. I'm not going to let age, gender, or ethnicity limit my adventures. Cautious maybe when warranted, but unafraid of what path I might be travelling. Like having lived in Felucca long ago, you grow wiser from life and game experiences, learn to trust your instincts, and dare to seize the day. It all adds up, living by your heart > not giving yourself a chance.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For situations like this, I like to remember one of the quotes from one of my favourite books:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Good ol' Bene Gesserit saying from Dune.
Being afraid and cautions is good, but you shouldn't let it dominate you.
You should go if you can afford it, Malagaste.
I flew 6,000+ miles to meet a bunch of strangers I knew from the internet, most of which I had never seen their faces and even shared a room with three of them (paid it all by myself, because the heck, if I am flying that far, I ain't letting friends pay for a hotel room), trekked through Indianapolis alone and I regret none of it. It was a thrilling experience and I can't wait to repeat it with my friends in Canada whom I have never met in person before.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wife got all excited when she got my emal proposing a weekend getaway, still lsughing at me and my suggestion, anyone passing through South NJ on the way ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can hardly wait for the trip. Not driving, hiking, biking, trainspotting, nor hot air ballooning...instead, a la Keith of Sonoma, flying the friendly skies, mainly because I can't find a nearby moongate!

Less than two years ago, after my husband's passing, just had to get out of the house and recharge my soul. Made a solo 4800+ miles drive-about trek from Colorado to Ohio, upstate New York, and Virginia, to visit guildmates and family. Actually, guildies are just as caring and close to my heart as family! Also stopped for memorable meals in Baltimore, Philly, and St. Louis. If it weren't for a loving cat (permanently "lent" to me by my niece) being cared for by kind neighbors, I would have dilly dallied longer and flyfished my way back home.

MalagAste, I'm an aging female and alone, unless you count the feline. I'm not going to let age, gender, or ethnicity limit my adventures. Cautious maybe when warranted, but unafraid of what path I might be travelling. Like having lived in Felucca long ago, you grow wiser from life and game experiences, learn to trust your instincts, and dare to seize the day. It all adds up, living by your heart > not giving yourself a chance.
If I could drive myself there... I certainly would. But taking a train or bus... No. Not alone.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
If I could drive myself there... I certainly would. But taking a train or bus... No. Not alone.
Take a walk on the wild side... You have time. yer still alive. Perhaps someone you know is traveling through there. I am driving from Detroit.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
FINALLY, a chance to talk to a GM that I paged for 3 years ago!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I might make an appearance, well see as it gets closer.

@Bucs Den Inc. , Are you gonna ship the potions ahead of time to sell them there? LOLOLOL

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take a walk on the wild side... You have time. yer still alive. Perhaps someone you know is traveling through there. I am driving from Detroit.
Detroit huh? That explains the grumpiness. I can say that as I am also from there (or here, whatever)

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You will be coming thru where I live Kelmo but I plan on flying.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you need a letter from someone in the US? Sometimes that can help clear some hurdles. Specially during the current.. heck, I'm not even going to go there. :grouphug:
While that ought to help, I have already rearranged vacations plans to visit UK and Canada instead. Three international trips in one year is just not doable.
Still, I am a bit salty about this whole visa business. There was no problem securing it in 2008, and there was zero incidents during the 4 days I stayed in the US. And I left a fair bit of money at the local economy during those few days.
Oh well.
Sadly I think this has to do a lot with who our President is right now. He just re-issued a new travel ban. Basically if you didn't already have a valid visa/green card/whatever card or permit, your SOL or some crap like that. Hopefully you can get it sorted out though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would highly doubt anyone I know is driving through nowhere... where I live.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm 2655 miles away from here at my primery residents

Not sure how far it is from my other home in La Follette Tennessee

Can't wait to retire so I can change my primery home

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would love to go but my daughters 2nd year birthday is that week and it would be at least a 10hr drive for me I won't fly with a little one I don't want to be that guy every one talks about on a plane. Maybe if I can talk the wife into it then after it go to FL so see Mickie mouse for my daughters birthday she might allow it.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda tempted to just go ahead and book the room, the rates not that bad as it is.
I was thinking about doing that and then if i couldn't go just cancel reservation but they say something about reservation cancellation rules apply and I can't find their "rules" for that.

lissa eldi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I booked mine, paid a few extra bucks for full cancellation till Sept. 20, and card not charged till i get there. Total for 3 nights for 2 doubles room with tax was around 350.

Figure if they get a lower priced block i'll call the hotel and switch.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm 2655 miles away from here at my primery residents

Not sure how far it is from my other home in La Follette Tennessee

Can't wait to retire so I can change my primery home
From La Follette? about 450 miles.

I'm originally from Corbin, KY, and lived in London, KY the last two trips I made to a DC-area meetup. (both are 30-40 miles the other side of Jellico from La Follette on I-75). Currently, I'm in Manchester, KY that is 20 miles east of London.

The best route from La Follette to the meetup is to take I-75 to Knoxville, then get on I-640 East, to I-40. I-40 to the start of I-81, then I-81 up to I-66. Then follow the directions to Dulles. About an 8-hour trip, counting stops for food and gas. Don't make the mistake of trying to cut cross-country from La Follette to I-81. The lower speeds aren't worth it (trust me, from experience - I went cross-country from Tazewell, northeast of La Follette, to Bristol before).

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bonnie ....please remember any 20th ingame stuff WILL need to be made available to everyone who play the game so we can ALL celebrate the 20th year of the greatest game on the planet....lets not go down the 15th debacle
This cannot be emphasized enough!

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Bonnie ....please remember any 20th ingame stuff WILL need to be made available to everyone who play the game so we can ALL celebrate the 20th year of the greatest game on the planet....lets not go down the 15th debacle
I disagree. If someone spends extra time and money, perhaps they are entitled to something more. Not everybody deserves a "participation" trophy. :) Just my opinion of course.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can have your opinion but with this few players..... I really don't think they ought to be going around and alienating parts of the player base and making them ticked off especially given that our current President seems to have some insanity regarding people visiting our fine Country...
Possibly, but the fact still remains, not everybody is "entitled" to EVERYTHING. :) We just have to agree to disagree. No worries though.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor

"I Went to the 20th Anniversary Party And All I Got Was This Shirt!!"

...though this would seem more up Bonnie's style... ;)

"I Went To The 20th Anniversary Party... And Survived!!"

Last edited: