• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How about 'STOP MULTIBOXER'???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquarius88

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I saw alot of thread's about combat changes, Nerfs,etc.....
What's with the multiboxing.....

They make it alot harder for casual ppl who go on events for month/year's to get a single drop...
I have no luck on events. i dont care, but it make me sick when i see ppl getting more than 1 item because of the high numbers of there own charakters...

My question is: why nobody can't Stop multiboxers??
On the most Events there are lots of them, and it wasn't hard to see who was multiboxing or not...
Anybody a idea, why nobody stop them??

Last edited:
well each of those pay 15 bucks a month, :) why would you want to stop making money?
At this point, whatever keeps UO alive. There's even some P2W stuff on the store and I couldn't care less really. This game is still going, my characters and pets are still here, I'm happy.

Aquarius88

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
i agree with you but, it isnt allowed to use Third Programms right??
so how can 1 player play 5 or more charakters on the same time? Multi Task??
nobody can play nearly in the same secound so much charakters..

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Unfortunately the Devs have stated they are okay with multi boxers and do not plan on doing anything about it.

Aquarius88

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
well....
Maybe they should think about to legalice illegal third party programs and implement them on the classic Client as a Button. same like *Log out*....

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aquarius, I feel your pain! You are absolutely right. Its a damn shame. However, nothing will ever happen. Those people pay accounts, many accounts, and thats the currency at the moment. Sad but true. Sometimes, when a patient is really sick, doctors even give more dangerous drugs...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well there are ways to do it... but none of them good.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
The devs don't care about multiboxing

I asked Kyronix on TC1 what are they going to do to deter people from just having their multibox armies camped outside of the rooms waiting for legitimate groups to get the Dark Father up so they can cheese it for an arty with 10 accounts.

This was the response I got..

tl;dr

devs dont give a ****. get over it.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, where can I get this multibox-program? How does it work? Can we make a tutorial stickfied?

Just kidding...

:shots:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I asked Kyronix on TC1 what are they going to do to deter people from just having their multibox armies camped outside of the rooms waiting for legitimate groups to get the Dark Father up so they can cheese it for an arty with 10 accounts.

tl;dr

Usually when I see comments like that from a developer, EM etc. I just assume it was phrased badly and they didn't realize the difference between multiboxing and having more than one account logged in like Mesanna's famous "win any way you want to win" comment.... however in this case that does appear to be a pretty clear message saying that they truly do not care if people cheat or not anymore.

It seems like the really simple and obvious solution at this point since the devs no longer care about cheats, is to simply remove the "cheats are illegal" part from the rules and allow anyone to use whatever programs they want. It's not cheating anymore if it's legal, so might as well let everyone have a fair chance at doing it legally instead of this ridiculous "it's technically against the rules but we are going to just pretend we don't see all this cheating" thing that's been going on for years.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

tl;dr

Wow....

That is really sad...

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Usually when I see comments like that from a developer, EM etc. I just assume it was phrased badly and they didn't realize the difference between multiboxing and having more than one account logged in like Mesanna's famous "win any way you want to win" comment.... however in this case that does appear to be a pretty clear message saying that they truly do not care if people cheat or not anymore.

It seems like the really simple and obvious solution at this point since the devs no longer care about cheats, is to simply remove the "cheats are illegal" part from the rules and allow anyone to use whatever programs they want. It's not cheating anymore if it's legal, so might as well let everyone have a fair chance at doing it legally instead of this ridiculous "it's technically against the rules but we are going to just pretend we don't see all this cheating" thing that's been going on for years.
My response was geared towards the question of what my thoughts were on people with multiple accounts (multi-clienting) logging in and doing what the poster suggested, waiting for another group to finish the gauntlet then just piling on the DF for chances at an artifact. The conversation was within the context of the farmability of the artifacts, and the resulting impacts of those items flooding the market and decreasing the lifespan of the content. I wasn't addressing multiboxing at all, that question has been answered at several Meet & Greets over the past months.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My response was geared towards the question of what my thoughts were on people with multiple accounts (multi-clienting) logging in and doing what the poster suggested, waiting for another group to finish the gauntlet then just piling on the DF for chances at an artifact. The conversation was within the context of the farmability of the artifacts, and the resulting impacts of those items flooding the market and decreasing the lifespan of the content. I wasn't addressing multiboxing at all, that question has been answered at several Meet & Greets over the past months.
Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it :)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@transcendence It was a joke! I am really absolutely not interested, simply because I cannot afford so many accounts and I dont like using 3-4 programs for playing a simple game. I dont even use Assist, ha!

See, if somebody REALLY uses 5+accounts to win UO, he/she might control parts of the market, but at what costs (time/dollars). But maybe its a nice competition or fun for them. I dont know. I prefer going to work with a far better work-cash-ratio ;-)

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Except that my entire point to speaking with you at all was specifically ONLY about the ways multiboxers can and will take advantage of the Doom Gauntlet system not only in regards to taking advantage of the work put in by groups legitimately progressing the gauntlet but also in that if you choose to not provide any further incentive other than throwing new artifiacts into a reward drop system that some people to this day still haven't gotten an artifact out of... Then that again the entire market will go straight into the hands of dead-server multibox farmers.

Note to self, in the future just hit record on bandicam then upload to youtube so that the happenings of a conversation will not be later misconstrued.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It has become readily apparent that the devs believe UO is being funded by cheaters and are content to sit on their hands while watching the community rot. And we keep giving them money.

If the devs truly loved UO they'd do something about the problem instead of paying it lip service and attempting to spin their gaffes. Clearly UO is just a paycheck.

I miss the days of Draconi and his team's bright line between acceptable play and scumsucking cheaters.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think this thread reveals what I've thought was fact for a long time, and it's that a large portion of the player base does not know the difference between multi-clienting and multi-boxing.

Multi-clienting: Using multiple client window via individual inputs on a per-client basis. Basically, you're repeating your in-game actions individually on each client. Results in significantly more manual inputs.

Multi-boxing: Using multiple client windows via cross-client inputs. Basically, your inputs on your primary client window are repeated nearly simultaneously in your other clients without additional input from you.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NO this has NOT been answered at several M&G's. It's been picked around, ignored and basically "we are not going to answer that question" by the entire DEV team besides Mesanna once stating: Any way you want to win.

Either make it legal or not. But damnit, give a straight forward answer to this question: Is multi-boxing, that uses a third party program legal to use or not?

How hard is that to answer? =/

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
NO this has NOT been answered at several M&G's. It's been picked around, ignored and basically "we are not going to answer that question" by the entire DEV team besides Mesanna once stating: Any way you want to win.

Either make it legal or not. But damnit, give a straight forward answer to this question: Is multi-boxing, that uses a third party program legal to use or not?

How hard is that to answer? =/
Lol.

When asked they give some roundabout answer that doesn't clarify anything.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Multi-boxing: Using multiple client windows via cross-client inputs. Basically, your inputs on your primary client window are repeated nearly simultaneously in your other clients without additional input from you.
The inputs are distributed via a clearly ToS-illegal piece of 3rd party software. That's somewhat critical for the definition.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The inputs are distributed via a clearly ToS-illegal piece of 3rd party software. That's somewhat critical for the definition.
I would think that the fact that a singular input produces multiple inputs would be clear enough explanation and the use of 3rd party software considered implicit given the fact that it's wholly impossible using the base clients or UOA.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When asked they give some roundabout answer that doesn't clarify anything.
Their answers, or rather Mesanna's, are pure smoke and mirrors spin doctoring at its worst. It really makes them all look like complete fools, particularly when caught in a lie. Their proximity to D.C. probably isn't helping.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would think that the fact that a singular input produces multiple inputs would be clear enough explanation and the use of 3rd party software considered implicit given the fact that it's wholly impossible using the base clients or UOA.
It should, but it took three M&Gs for Mesanna to acknowledge what multiboxing even was, let alone that it is a problem players are angry about. The 3rd party program part must be used as a cudgel in the argument against the problem, especially since it makes Mesanna look like a complete hypocrite.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First you need to find a new producer. Lots of wishful thinking if one really believes that they have no clue.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It should, but it took three M&Gs for Mesanna to acknowledge what multiboxing even was, let alone that it is a problem players are angry about. The 3rd party program part must be used as a cudgel in the argument against the problem, especially since it makes Mesanna look like a complete hypocrite.
BaghdadBob.jpg

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ya'll ever heard of a KVM switch?
Multiboxers aren't using a KVM switch unless they have money to burn on multiple PCs. They're opening 5+ CC clients on one PC and using a program to replicate commands to virtually identical characters.

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Multi-clienting isn't difficult guys. I have a 48" monitor, I'm able to put 6 and 8 if I squeeze them tight, clients side by side and on top of each other, so 4 on top, 4 on bottom, and I can see all of them, and control each fairly easily. Doing that at an event is simple, and should be legal. Doing that at a spawn, or a champ should be legal. You pay for those accounts, you play those accounts. Multi-botting, is much different. Using scripts or programs to control all clients, or have each auto attacking and doing actions without your input. Personally, I feel that both of those things are evolutions of gameplay. When you've played as long as some of us have, you get bored with the regular old gameplay and it opens up levels of play not accessible to the average player. So it's a type of solo challenge to fight high end champs/spawn like that. Scoff if you will, but I'm glad that the devs aren't so hard on this. What they are doing with some of the latest patches has been great. They're creating content that's very hard to script, except for an elite few. Like the new bod system. I know a lot of high end scripters, and I don't know any of them that are currently seriously working on the new bod system. It's complicated, and would require a LOT of info and research before even attempting to do it really. So it will be a LONG time before anyone makes a really great script to do all the new bods. Simple scripts sure. But a 1 script for all? Not going to happen anytime soon. I really commend the devs on working hard to create systems that are difficult to script. And you should also. It gives you a more fair opportunity to get your gold out of that system. And I highly suggest if you are someone that can't script and you're a die hard crafter, you jump into that new system and get your gold out of it while you can. I imagine you have a good year of solid farming that system before a large scale script is created to take advantage of that system. That's if I don't weigh in on it. ;) And I won't.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First you need to find a new producer. Lots of wishful thinking if one really believes that they have no clue.
To do that you might have to go looking long and hard for someone willing to head a game that is decades out of date, has a hostile player base, and nothing of a team... not to mention her husband is the QA guy... which IMO explains a LOT :eyes:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You honestly think BS and EA both don't know what is going on then I want what your smoking. As long as EA is getting its money they could care less what happens in UO.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
The last thing UO needs is "new DEVs". Are our current devs the best? No. Do they often leave players feeling nickeled and dimed? Sure. Would bringing in someone with ZERO history and experience with UO at all fix the shortcommings of our current devs? Hell no. Infact that would more than likely be the last nail in the coffin.

I mean sure there is the wetdream of the Garriott fanboys that he could someday take over UO... But in the real world, would he want to? He's working on new games currently. Answer this from the perspective of not YOU but him, would YOU want to pickup and attempt to fix/maintain your 20 year old project? (More than 20 if you take into consideration the time spent developing).

There is literally nobody left around qualified to maintain UO. The best we could possibly hope for is that our current devs have ability and drive to do better. I'm not saying that they don't give UO 110%. nor that we players will EVER be completely happy with what they give us. Just that I would rather not have some nuwave developer who has zero knowledge as to why the very few players left in this game continue to play, and just end up turning the game into some disgusting over-designed chatroom with a little pixel crack. I can see it now "DANK DEALS FOR THE NEXT 16 HOURS! LEGACY ERA ULTIMA ONLINE TRIPLE BLESSED BLACK SANDALS! GET YOURS NOW FOR ONLY $4.98! LIMITED TIME OFFER. MAKE YOUR PAPERDOLL AVATAR PROFILE STAND OUT IN THE CHAT ROOM SO PEOPLE CAN QUICKLY IDENTIFY YOU AS THE UNIQUE DANK SUPERUSER THAT YOU KNOW YOU CANT AFFORD TO BE!" etcetc

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To do that you might have to go looking long and hard for someone willing to head a game that is decades out of date, has a hostile player base, and nothing of a team... not to mention her husband is the QA guy... which IMO explains a LOT :eyes:
Yea, not going to happen. I was under assumption that we all know those threads are pretty pointless anyway ;)

You honestly think BS and EA both don't know what is going on then I want what your smoking. As long as EA is getting its money they could care less what happens in UO.
Hmm, no? Not sure how you read this into my words. But lets keep it just at 'no'.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea, not going to happen. I was under assumption that we all know those threads are pretty pointless anyway ;)

Hmm, no? Not sure how you read this into my words. But lets keep it just at 'no'.
Because it is not just Mesanna who runs UO it is BS who runs Mesanna and EA who runs BS. Changing Mesanna will do nothing as long as EA gets its GREEN.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
My suggestion is to stop playing with multi boxers. Just go do something else. Who needs EM drops? If it is a PvP scene, just go do something else. Stop enabling.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd love to see what percentage of those who cry foul about multi-boxers are able to distinguish between a multi-boxer and a multi-clienter in real time.
It's usually fairly obvious in real time which is which, most people can probably tell if they are aware of what multi-boxing is. There is a large visual difference between seeing the characters alternate taking steps with only 1 moving at a time usually at least 1 tile apart from each other (multi-client), and 5+ characters standing on the exact same tile and moving the same direction at the same speed (multi-box).

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a sample of what multiboxing looks like, 29 characters (names halved blocked out by me) in one spot. One moves they all move. You cannot target the balron in that room as whatever script the dude had running auto targetted it before a 'person' had a hope in hell and the balron was dead in about 5 seconds.

upload_2017-1-25_16-25-57.png

Seen people regularly at eM events with one char moving and their 'alts' following in a nice procession. This dude was reported only without all the names blocked out but nothing was ever done from what I could see.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Lol the multi boxers trying to deflect this problem as a multi client thing. Same strategy Kyronix tried to use.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is a sample of what multiboxing looks like, 29 characters (names halved blocked out by me) in one spot. One moves they all move. You cannot target the balron in that room as whatever script the dude had running auto targetted it before a 'person' had a hope in hell and the balron was dead in about 5 seconds.

View attachment 60824

Seen people regularly at eM events with one char moving and their 'alts' following in a nice procession. This dude was reported only without all the names blocked out but nothing was ever done from what I could see.
Wow... it's kind of crazy he is paying for 29 accounts just to multibox.... that's a lot of real cash being spent every month just to farm items. Sadly even with the names half blocked I know exactly what most of those names are due to seeing the same ones so often at events. I didn't realize he had 29 of them though.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow... it's kind of crazy he is paying for 29 accounts just to multibox.... that's a lot of real cash being spent every month just to farm items. Sadly even with the names half blocked I know exactly what most of those names are due to seeing the same ones so often at events. I didn't realize he had 29 of them though.
That's funny as those characters have never been used at an event. They were pretty good at busting out some fire spawns though.

What Ms Echo posted actually doesn't even take what most people would consider "Multiboxing". With that many accounts everything could be done with less text than I have already typed here. Then again all their armor was crafted by a dude named "Dilligaf" so you know.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
one of the biggest failures of the dev team is cheating/unfair practices. this is the main reason why people I know have quit the game and I don't blame them for leaving, just sad.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's funny as those characters have never been used at an event. They were pretty good at busting out some fire spawns though.
Well then either someone copied the names to use at events, or it's a stunning coincidence. The ones that start with "The De" "Vla" and "Wha" are seen very frequently at Atlantic events, sometimes multiples named "The De" standing on top of each other all dumping armor ignore shots on the boss with archery. The others appear less often, but do still appear. By themselves the names could just be random, but them being in a group like that in both places seems to imply it is the same person.

Entirely possible I'm wrong and it's just a coincidence, but that many names starting with the same letters seems to defy the odds of it being a coincidence a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.