• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why people stop going to events(rant)

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you hate huge inline replies to threads please click THIS LINK. If you care about what I think, click that link and read the following:

While I use this regularly I mostly read everything going on from my journal because if you set the time the text is on-screen to 5 seconds it seriously cuts down lag... I have spells and all that turned off because at events I don't care what anyone is casting... the problem comes that even if I don't see it over their heads it's still logged into the journal... and I for one REFUSE to have a different tab for everything... I'd prefer to just not see any of that in my journal at all... unless I'm in Fel trying to PvP what anyone else is casting isn't any of my concern... and quite frankly I'm fine just seeing the spell effects of my own character and the "enemies" rather than every tom, **** and harry's casting animations...

But more than anything I'd like something that would allow ME to see Dragons as chickens or kittens for all I care..... anything but gigantic red flappy beasts that hog up most the space.... and I'd even like to see gargoyles as wingless ones flying or not. If I could toggle those at will I'd be happy as can be.
Not sure you can do much for the dragons, but there is an option (somewhere, sorry lazy) in the EC clint to disable Idle Animations. It requires a reboot but it stops gargoyle flapping. This greatly increased my enjoyment of EM and player events.

Make all EM items (false rares) shard bound. Start there.
Mesanna specifically said, no never not gonna happen, at a Dev Meet and Greet once. RIP

Have an event where there isnt so much smash and bashum. Have things for crafters or thieves running all over the globe looking for hidden things.
This umm... has happened in the past. It did NOT end well. The people who only show up to EM events to fight the boss and take the loot cried foul and favoritism when they found out a few months later the loot wasn't on the boss. It was a stealing event and heavily hinted at during the event. The people who play for the story paid attention to what the EM was saying to the crowd after the boss fight were able to figure it out. Over the course of the next week the shard located all 10 drops scattered about the shard as steal-able items. So much bile and vitriol was thrown at the EM for this that EM is no longer part of that shard.

If you think that is intentional and not the product of a poorly designed script, you might need to take off the tin-foil hat for a while. That number of inputs is not only likely to disconnect the user of the client who is spamming (as there is an input limit which is reached pretty easily), but also their other clients as well. A good number of times at EM events in instanced areas you will get kicked to an Ilshenar shrine if you disconnect or re-log. That clearly is not in their best interests and it is not what is happening here.

Like both myself and @CovenantX have said, that's a result of latency issues or a character being dead (obviously VERY likely at an EM event), stunned, or paralyzed. Show me how many times you've screenshotted that kind of enemy of one spam when combat was not occurring at an event. It is incredibly more rare than when combat is occurring, and therefore there is likely no dialogue to be "spammed out of journals."

Right, and I didn't claim that it was 100% a product of stupidity and negligence, but a vast majority. You don't seem like the kind of person to do events outside of your home shard(s), so I wouldn't think you're attending more than Lake Austin and Atlantic events. There are enough people on Atlantic that "journal spamming" would be obsolete given the amount of things already clogging the journal.

I've been at every single Lake Austin event with a boss in the last 16 months and I can recall one incident on that shard where there was enemy of one spam (surprise, it was from a dead player who had a poorly designed script) that caused some players (myself included) to get a "connection lost." The EM pulled the player aside and then after the event said he would contact Mesanna if something like that occurred on that scale again (eg. disconnecting other players). It didn't happen again and life moved on, and now they have a new EM on Lake Austin who hasn't encountered the problem yet.
Erg, I think I multi quoted the wrong person but whatever I agree with both of you in this situation. However.... If you ignore 2-3 people this stops, and there for it appears to ALWAYS the same person (on different shards) doing this..... well I'm going to double wrap my tin foil hat and you can't stop me :p

Please. THAT line of BS doesn't fly. I play multiple shards. I see the multiboxers. Their suits are, at the very least, no worse than mine (which is a very nice suit) on ALL their characters. Please don't dispute it or try to defend it.
The suit thing is actually a leftover from the previous loot drop system. It used to be top X damaging characters, now it's "random" but may very well be based on if you make it on the loot table or not. I don't think its' been put in stone how the drop system works but we have a pretty good idea it has to do with if you can loot the corpse after it's said and done or not. So you are both right, don't be sad :D

It also begs the question is how can these 3rd party sites sell codes so cheap if all the codes are generated by EA only.
More tinfoil hatting here for Frodo... but as recently as this year we had codes purchased from the store come up as "duplicates" and had to be fixed....

tl;dr - The best solution I've seen so far to all of these event issues is to have a boss mob show up very early in the event, drop the loot, and then the storyline continue for a while afterwards. You can even have a secondary boss mob later on that has a normal loot table if you wanted so you can still have that "EPIC FINAL BATTLE" etc etc.

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There can't be any false accusations because a GMs ruling is ALWAYS been absolute. What they "see" is logged and detailed... supposedly. And anyone who feels they were Falsely imprisoned or jailed has the right to have their case reviewed. Therefore the superiors (Mesanna) can review what happened and decide if it was "right"....

I was just at yet another EM event tonight where there were at least 5 people casting fields and everything else on the EMs while folk were attempting to RP with the EM's and it was nearly impossible to see what was going on... by the time something did go on..... (They led us away from that area)... it was totally chaotic because most folk didn't know what was going on or that the EM had even wandered off for awhile... I think a bunch of folk missed that and missed out on the opportunity to get a drop because of it.
I believe that was the Intent, to mislead and confuse folks.

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
They used to do that more often, but a certain subset of the player base continually complained about the lack of "Drops".

From observation the EM program has largely degraded unintentionally into a vending machine for the RMT community. At this point I'd have to question why even continue with the EM Program if there aren't going to be major changes which circumvent the ability of people to exploit it for personal profit.

I rarely hear anything Good about the EM program anymore, it's all about how horrible trying to actually participate in events for no other reason than fun is.
Exactly what he said.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
When it comes to specifically EM events, I don't think enforcement would be to hard for a couple reasons:
  • Em events are at a specific time posted in advance, schedule an extra GM to monitor the events.
  • Announce in advance that enforcement is going to happen and that any infraction will be a minimum 72 hour ban for the first infraction.
  • Specifically task the GM with removing anyone who harasses or otherwise interferes with the EM or anyone who is multiboxing (this is really only going to have to be the last few minutes of the event). The EM will have no say in who gets removed, so the EMs can't be accused of anything. I would even have a Dev member shadow a few times so they can see first hand what is going on.
  • Actually follow through and remove the people and issue the bans
I predict that it would not take long for the issue to disappear, so that after the first month or two you could do more randomized event enforcement.
I'd cheerlead for that.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I will preface this statement with the fact that I do not have a dog in this race. Every EM item generated stays on the shard I play.

The EM system is broken. It does not deliver. Riyana has a post explaining that as well as it can be explained.

I have been to a very few EM events on other shards. They were are as described. I always felt awful for the EM that put a lot of work and thought into any given event. Really bottom dweller stuff. This sort of behavior seems tolerated as long as the "drops" happen.

The EMs are meant to enliven and excite a shard, even if only seven players show up. Next time there will be twelve players. Handing out trinkets to a pack of wolves was not likely in the job description.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd cheerlead for that.
The single biggest issue with enforcing the TOS is it's near impossible to know when and where someone is breaking them... that is not the case with EM events... we know exactly when and where to target the enforcement...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The event on Great Lakes tonight had no less than 5 extremely blatant multiboxers. Watching them roll up to the EM Hall was like a bad memory of that friend everyone had in the 90's who turned on mouse trails in Windows because they thought it looked cool...you know, that one.

It's bead enough that there were already 60+ people with their obnoxiously flappy dragons in tow, not to discount the gargoyles who can never be bothered to &^*@#$! land, but we get the added lag of at least 15 unattended scriptkiddies.

Every event has pretty much become cookie cutter: a little bit of story, gate into immediate nonsensical fight, more story that's nearly impossible to follow due to poor transitioning mixed with spell spammers and flapping, more fighting, maybe more story that's just as difficult to catch, then boss fight that almost always spams the G-damned big explosion, then 90% of the people disappear, gate to wrapup back at base with frustrated people who really don't want to saddle the EMs with these issues. Oh, if there's a drop, half are being sold on Atl within 15 minutes.

I'm sorry that Mesanna can't be bothered to enforce the ToS/RoC, but I'm really coming to regret that being the UO Producer is demonstrably above her abilities.

I miss Darkscribe.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hold an event where it is clearly stated that there will be NO special items, but perhaps something that would be a standard loot drop for the mob in question. See if that clears the room! <grin>

Hold an event where it is SPECIFICALLY stated beforehand it is for story expansion only. See if that clears the room!
This has been done before. The difference in attendee volume and composition is night and day. Those events tend to be easier to follow and engage with, less griefy, and more fun. They, dare I say...

"Bring community together, tell a story, and build interest in the game."

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So make it so the purists get what they want and the power gamers that have made chars/ bought tokens for 5-10 shards lose out?...a 50-50 flop...that fixes nothing!!!

What actual difference does it make if it's locked down in your remote castle on a 20 person shard or a collector's house on a 500 person shard?!?!

Go to work after you read this and find the person that complains CONSTANTLY and revisit your own opinion of them!! Bet it's not favorable. Oh and if you don't have that person at work ... Guess who it is...

More playing less complaining

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, it´s safe to say that the drops have ruined the events from being what they were meant to be...
Remove the drops from the EM events and give the events back to the people who actually appreciate it for what it is.

Then cycle new items, just like the ones EMs come up with, each week or each month or whatever on existing bosses throughout the game so players can PvM in their on pace for them.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So make it so the purists get what they want and the power gamers that have made chars/ bought tokens for 5-10 shards lose out?...a 50-50 flop...that fixes nothing!!!
It appears that these cross-shard persons do not know how to behave in these events and are disruptive. Therefore, why should THEY reap all the stuff while persons wanting to simply have a story-expanding experience suffer? Especially if those wanting the story are from that shard and not cross-sharding?

What actual difference does it make if it's locked down in your remote castle on a 20 person shard or a collector's house on a 500 person shard?!?!
To me? Not one whit of difference really. It is the behaviors exhibited in obtaining that item that are in question. Cross-sharders who are rares traders are totally welcome but they need to behave and allow the host shards EM to get the story rolling - and in a manner where ALL can see/experience that story.

It's called courtesy. It's called cooperative effort. As far as has been noted it's also been rude, obnoxious and totally asinine.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
So why not just seperate the two? Spawn a boss type monster randomly somewhere on the shard that occasionally drops a prize; make the EM events about story-telling/role playing. That way the "pros" still have a reason to keep 12 accounts open, UO still gets their subs, the shards get their community events and the EMs get to tell their stories without the interruptions.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It appears that these cross-shard persons do not know how to behave in these events and are disruptive.
My theory about that is that it´s all part of their plan. The people who are obnoxious act that way to make the other players not want to do EM events and thereby lessen the competition and increase their chances at a drop.

So if you want to "stick it" to them, continue to attend and get as many friends and other players as possible to attend as well...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My theory about that is that it´s all part of their plan. The people who are obnoxious act that way to make the other players not want to do EM events and thereby lessen the competition and increase their chances at a drop.

So if you want to "stick it" to them, continue to attend and get as many friends and other players as possible to attend as well...
In principle I agree. However the EM/GM teams for that shard need to grow stones and deal with the disrupters in a manner that they get taught "we ain't gonna take this sh*t no more!"

If it means you waste a shard shield to go somewhere that you were a d**k and then got punished for it, who is the real culprit? Who is at fault for that happening? I have no sympathy for someone who tweaks the nose of powers that be and then get spanked for it. The spanking now needs to happen - regularly - and fairly.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"if there's a drop, half are being sold on Atl within 15 minutes."

This seems wrong to me. I can bet all the gold I have that if the items were shard bound just about every complaint in this thread would go away. Seems like a slap in the face to the people of the shard the event is hosted on to have to put up with all this behavior for people that don't even play on the shard the event is happening on.

How about this.
1) shard events - all drops remain on shard
2) test shard - all drops can go to where ever you want.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I warned all of you along with many others that this is exactly what would happen when you all BEGGED to change the drop system. It's gotten to the point where thread after thread has become comical. Like I've said all along, the only way to address this is to address RMT.

No more RMT = no more multiboxing at events

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It appears that these cross-shard persons do not know how to behave in these events and are disruptive. Therefore, why should THEY reap all the stuff while persons wanting to simply have a story-expanding experience suffer? Especially if those wanting the story are from that shard and not cross-sharding?
I do events on 3 shards (for the moment), never once done that. I'll admit that I'm not that interested in the story, but I'm not gonna be an ******* just because people are. fwiw, players were morons at events LONG before crossing shards was ever a thing, and it hasn't changed 13 years later.

Cross-sharding: Between Atlantic, LS, and Legends, I've made over a billion from drops, and I almost always take Atl gold if it's a drop on another shard. Once I sell them, can't tell you where they go, and don't particularly care - I always do the sale on the shard they originate from. What the buyer does isn't something I can control.

I warned all of you along with many others that this is exactly what would happen when you all BEGGED to change the drop system. It's gotten to the point where thread after thread has become comical. Like I've said all along, the only way to address this is to address RMT.

No more RMT = no more multiboxing at events
Would stopping RMT really stop multiboxing though? Some would stop, for sure, but as long as the drop chance is randomized, people will bring multiple characters just to increase their odds of getting a drop. If it goes back to top damager, the people who go for storyline/RP will complain, since they refuse to optimize their template to do damage. If they went to "everyone that participates gets a drop", rares collectors will probably complain. Is there a happy medium?

It's not related to events entirely, but anyone that's done Navrey on Atl will know who I'm talking about here. One of the players goes down in a Sorc Suit, and whenever ANYONE else is there killing the boss, she calls them cheaters. I've gone down on two different throwers that use identical setups, do 237 damage max with AI, and that's in a basic imbued suit. I've told her to upgrade her suit multiple times (while also calling her a ******* idiot.) Outside of things that a player can't control (lag, client crashing), it's 2016. If you're not geared enough to get looting rights on ANYTHING in this game, it's nobody's fault but the player's.

Last edited:

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats funny, I called her stuff I would not tell my friends its so crass, havent seen her since, been over a month

It's not related to events entirely, but anyone that's done Navrey on Atl will know who I'm talking about here. One of the players goes down in a Sorc Suit, and whenever ANYONE else is there killing the boss, she calls them cheaters. I've gone down on two different throwers that use identical setups, do 237 damage max with AI, and that's in a basic imbued suit. I've told her to upgrade her suit multiple times (while also calling her a ******* idiot.) Outside of things that a player can't control (lag, client crashing), it's 2016. If you're not geared enough to get looting rights on ANYTHING in this game, it's nobody's fault but the player's.[/QUOTE]

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

To me? Not one whit of difference really. It is the behaviors exhibited in obtaining that item that are in question. Cross-sharders who are rares traders are totally welcome but they need to behave and allow the host shards EM to get the story rolling - and in a manner where ALL can see/experience that story.

It's called courtesy. It's called cooperative effort. As far as has been noted it's also been rude, obnoxious and totally asinine.
IMO it's not the cross sharders who like to collect and trade rares that are the problem... it's those folk who are just there to DEAL to the traders and rares collecting x-sharders... that are the problem.... the ones who can't follow simple instructions, don't care about the event just want to get the drop sell it for as much gold as possible and then turn around and sell gold by the billions for CASH.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Would stopping RMT really stop multiboxing though? .
How about you take a second and think about this. If you need help, start by thinking why people multibox at events in the first place. You know that top damage didn't devalue the rares like this new system does, right? So all the RMT guys needed was to get 1 drop and sell it for 500-2b and they kept their income. Switching the system f***ed with their income, and like any successful business they adapted.

If the Devs are not going to do anything about RMT, they need to at least acknowledge that it's there. I mean there is one RMT guy that goes to their anniversary parties and takes pictures with them for christ sake. If they acknowledge it is there, but don't want to enforce action against it they can at least find ways to actually combat it. I'd rather see gold sellers having to actually play the game stocking vendors etc and make a living off it than play for an hour or two a night. Stocking vendors would actually be a benefit to the community.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
You can get rid of over head text here. (EC)
View attachment 57336

However as far as the chat log goes.... why the EMs havent been given their own chat that others can join but cant speak is beyond me. It would be that simple... I have never ever been able to follow a story line because i cant keep up with everything going on. in CC i barely have enough time to read journal.... in EC there is no chance lol.

So simple answers:
1. disable as many text "features" as possible (except EM's chatter)
2. Plead with the devs to create a channel on each shard dedicated to GM, EMs, advisors. SO they can talk with out trolls blabbering over them.
While true, none of that solves the main thing that tends to lag or crash me at events, or to make bosses near impossible to see. Namely:
1) animation lag from flapping wings
2) effect lag, especially from that boss spell that covers the screen in flames... that's nearly always an instant crasher for me.
3) human bosses completely hidden under GDs and RCs.

How about you take a second and think about this. If you need help, start by thinking why people multibox at events in the first place. You know that top damage didn't devalue the rares like this new system does, right? So all the RMT guys needed was to get 1 drop and sell it for 500-2b and they kept their income. Switching the system f***ed with their income, and like any successful business they adapted.
False logic. Those same people were multiboxing back then as well, and it was quite common to see a single person with multiples of a drop for sale even then.