• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Insta suit switching during combat on EC

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and half the people involved in this conversation DON'T EVEN PVP so why do you think you should have an opinion on PVP COMBAT?
I dont pvp anymore because of functions like this. your argument that "EC is better" goes hand in hand with causing less people to particapate in PvP.

and dont say "then play EC" becuase to me the graphics arent UO and playing it isnt enjoyable.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Swapping 10+ items on the paperdoll in a second? No problem. Try to loot 2 items in a row at an IDOC by hand? NO! YOU CANT LOOT ANYMORE, YOU'RE TOO FAST! :/

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I dont pvp anymore because of functions like this. your argument that "EC is better" goes hand in hand with causing less people to particapate in PvP.

and dont say "then play EC" becuase to me the graphics arent UO and playing it isnt enjoyable.
Not my problem that you don't like it...

Truth is it's not unfair and can't be unfair since it IS legally available to EVERYONE just because you chose NOT to use what's available to you doesn't mean others who do should be punished.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not my problem that you don't like it...

Truth is it's not unfair and can't be unfair since it IS legally available to EVERYONE just because you chose NOT to use what's available to you doesn't mean others who do should be punished.
You can absolutely feel that way. But it kind of is your problem too. Because now you have less players willing to play that style with you. So in the end your game suffers too.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like waiting for UOA to dress one item at a time for five minutes, since im probably in stat for the five minutes anyway. Good way to kill time watching UOA struggle with it. LOLOLOL

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone who says they're not PVPing because of suit switching, has more reasons than that to not PVP.

Here's the suit I switch to when I'm redlined

if (cc == ec)
Conversation.Exit();

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can absolutely feel that way. But it kind of is your problem too. Because now you have less players willing to play that style with you. So in the end your game suffers too.
I can and do feel that way... but if you want to talk about people quitting in droves I think there are FAR bigger issues that impact players dropping off like flies.

I seriously don't think this is that big of an issue... there are a million and one worse things people do in UO that AREN'T legal and AREN'T available to everyone...

Because many of you refuse to use the more functional client because you can't get past some supposed horrible look shouldn't mean that those of us who do should be penalized and have some functionality taken out...

as for putting things into the CC you all have to remember that the CC is an old spaghetti string of code that I don't think it's really a good idea to be poking about and I highly doubt that it is even possible to do many of the things you all want in that client without breaking so many other things.

Remember crying about scripters gathering ore and all the ore and tree spots being empty all the time because scripters were always harvesting them before we had a chance... and the "fix" for that was the break for most of us with any desire to mine or lumberjack anymore...

Be careful what you wish for... keep taking the fun out of the game and making it a chore and annoying and you might find more folk leaving...
recalling home to auto fire at a mongbat... making me have to wait forever ... These things are BROKEN this way because of PvP changes... Honestly swapping characters and having to time out because i killed a mongbat in the last 10 min is just plain stupid..... and why it can't figure out that I wasn't doing anything PvP related is extremely annoying.... and considering that a lot of time I get the lack of cohesion thing on a character that I haven't played in months is stupid as well....

IMO PvP issues has really put a cramp in my playstyle... which is PvE and there ought to be FAR more separation in what is effected by changes needed to balance PvP vs changing things to balance that and unbalancing or making it unenjoyable to PvM or impossible to PvE without totally changing up your character.....

And believe it or not often a lot of what your whining about is people changing out of PvM gear and into PvP gear so they don't get smeared in 2 seconds and can actually fight back and have more than a snowballs chance in hades to survive. Because of changes to everything to balance PvP it's putting more of a gap between PvP and PvM making folk have to do things like carry 2 suits... more weapons and such...

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Oh classic client doesn't have [INSERT HERE] ??

Well then it must be cheating!
It must be taken away from EC or given to CC too!
EC isn't real UO!
CC graphics are a million times better!
THIS is why people quit the game!

DERP.

I feel like this is a semi-frequent circular argument that happens time and time again around a few of the same topics. It's just frustrating, and frankly rather silly to see.

Whether you use CC or EC, if you enhance your experience with Pincos, or other third party programs.... there are plenty of options out there to enhance, customize and change your play style. If you're a purist and don't want to use any thing other than CC without any other assistance, then that is your choice and you can't expect to have every single enhancement and special feature available.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be careful what you wish for... keep taking the fun out of the game and making it a chore and annoying and you might find more folk leaving...

And believe it or not often a lot of what your whining about is people changing out of PvM gear and into PvP gear so they don't get smeared in 2 seconds and can actually fight back and have more than a snowballs chance in hades to survive. Because of changes to everything to balance PvP it's putting more of a gap between PvP and PvM making folk have to do things like carry 2 suits... more weapons and such...
Most of the game already IS a chore. Farming, crafting (BODs and Heartwood quests in particular), and working skills. Why do you think it's all done afk?

I think you're misunderstanding something about the suit swap. pvp'ers do not have pvm suits equipped so they can switch to a pvp oriented suit with the touch of a button. What actually happens is switching pieces out (or switching their ENTIRE suit) so they can do certain things better. Example: Fencer archer with 90 real Fencing. Carries jewelry pair that gets him to 120 Fencing so there's a better chance to get disarm off (assuming no Mastery passive), then switches back to the main jewels on their suit and start chaining AI with their Bow.

As has been said MANY times (by yourself and others), you do not actually pvp, so why are you commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about? Suit swapping with Assist/programs in the CC isn't worth it either, since it replaces one piece at a time. If my tamer was given the ability to switch between his imbued suit & luck suit instantly, I would be all over it. But it isn't going to happen any time soon, so I stopped carrying my luck suit around.

Let's be honest here, if people come to pvp without preparing properly, it's their own fault. If they die quickly in fights, it's because of their lack of experience. The only "gap" that exists in pvp now is player skill...but that's one you can overcome by actually playing & listening to people's advice if they give it to you.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMO PvP issues has really put a cramp in my playstyle... which is PvE and there ought to be FAR more separation in what is effected by changes needed to balance PvP vs changing things to balance that and unbalancing or making it unenjoyable to PvM or impossible to PvE without totally changing up your character.....
It's not the pvpers you need to blame this on, it's the devs for not fixing issues without the use of temporary or in some cases permanent "Bandaids".
They can differentiate most things (maybe all) between pvm and pvp.

examples:Armor ignore pvp cap, SDI caps, & more recently Holyfist, none of these things effected pvm.

Blame the Devs, not the players.
There are many things in UO, the game would probably be better off without the devs trying to "fix" things, at least some of the time.

I'm not bashing the devs here, and some of these changes weren't even made by the current dev team. just for reference.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you could switch your suit instantly in CC you would not be replying to this conversation because this conversation wouldn't exist.
This conversation wouldn't exist if you couldn't switch your suit instantly with EC either :D.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Then get on board with the Heat of Combat flag concept. If someone flags on you, it doesn't instantly put you in the heat of combat, you can still do a full suit swap if you want to fight back. Does not effect Luck suit swapping, does not effect going from a pvm suit to a pvp suit so long as you don't flag first.

This debate would still exist even if suit swapping were a part of the CC.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Then get on board with the Heat of Combat flag concept. If someone flags on you, it doesn't instantly put you in the heat of combat, you can still do a full suit swap if you want to fight back. Does not effect Luck suit swapping, does not effect going from a pvm suit to a pvp suit so long as you don't flag first.

This debate would still exist even if suit swapping were a part of the CC.
They can't differentiate between my killing a mongbat and my killing another player to swap characters HOW do you think they are going to differentiate between changing my stuff PvM vs changing weapons armor PvP?? and don't you think it would suck if you couldn't swap out your weapon because they borked that too?!?!

I'm saying be careful what you wish for it might bite you in the arse.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You mistake Heat of Combat with The flagged Logout/login/soulstone code. I'm talking about the Pvp Status that prevents you from being able to recall/use moongates. You are in the heat of combat if you flag on another Player or if another player flags on you and you fight them for an extended period of time.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an incredible thread!!! Incredible proof that many of you a$$hat$ cant read or comprehend the basic premise here. The OP is not talking about whether it is fair to have instant switching vs CC client players. The OP is saying should their be instant switching of armor period....the answer of course is no. The entire idea is idiotic. And comparing it to switching weapons....well that is just moronic! Like seriously??? PVP or PVM ...doesnt matter it shouldnt happen....ever. A Cool down is required for this just like using Soul stones or trying to flea or log out during combat.

But it is incredible to watch the level of stupidity that many of you seemingly otherwise intelligent people exhibit!
:yell:

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I just sense an agenda. Why should it not be allowed?

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Full suit swap to a medable 30 mana Regen suit with +40 Meditation/focus that still gets the player their defense chance increase.
Full suit swap between a 70 dci refined suit and a 75 resist refined suit
get dismounted, swap to a suit with +50 ninjitsu + 4/6 for mirror images and animal form.
Playing a tank mage class, swap to a suit with 45 hci to try and land the killing shot.

With the gear that's out now, there are a lot of options. Its just the question of IF a full instantaneous suit swap should be allowed. I mean if they are dropping and dragging some items with a 1 second timer in between each and not being able to heal that's a bit different.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Incase people didn't realise, you don't need to set a seperate macro to switch suits,
lets say you get dismounted, you can press your macro for animal form and that can be set to automatically arm the fc4/6 suit with +60 ninjitsu. your suits can change automatically depending on what spells/specials you select.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
QUOTE="TimberWolf, post: 2688950, member: 305"]This is an incredible thread!!! Incredible proof that many of you a$$hat$ cant read or comprehend the basic premise here. The OP is not talking about is it fair to have instant switching vs CC client players. The OP is saying should their be instant switching of armor period....the answer of course is no. The entire idea is idiotic. And comparing it to switching weapons....well that is just moronic! Like seriously??? PVP or PVM ...doesnt matter it shouldnt happen....ever. A Cool down is required for this just like using Soul stones or trying to flea or log out during combat.

But it is incredible to watch the level of stupidity that many of you seemingly otherwise intelligent people exhibit!
:yell:[/QUOTE]
Now you've gone too far and pissed me off. I've already said I have no problem with not allowing instant suit switching during PvP combat if those are the rules PvPers want to agree on. But calling a feature that the developers deliberately built into the EC interface - instant suit switching - moronic and stupid is just ... moronic and stupid. You know, just maybe every feature in UO doesn't revolve around your PvP egoes - ever think of that? :grrr:[

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have a suspision that insta suit arming wasn't a deliberate feature, but more an accident. Just the way it worked out. Are we also suggesting that the corner skipping on EC is feature and not an accident? And that they deliberatly made it so that the 2 clients run at the same speed in a stratight line but not through corners?

In fact, i even remember when stratics members denied adamantly that you could run faster in EC than CC. And posted videos of them running side by side (in a straight line????)

It's clear to me that people who like their specific advantages that they use will blindy shout feature until the ends of the earth.

EC:
Mobiles health bar, feature.
Additional menus, feature.
Additional client crashes, feature?
Corner skipping to make char run faster than CC, feature?
Insta suit swapping, feature?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just sense an agenda. Why should it not be allowed?
How about simply this...balance!

The entire concept of around armor is balance. That is why items have imbuing weight and a max number of enhancement/reforging
slots.
Players are suppose to weight out the advantages and disadvantages of a particular suit build.
You want 820 skill points....fine you sacrifice X
you want straight 75 resists...you sacrifice DCI
You want a Max luck suit....you sacrifice.......Well with the present system....absolutely nothing!
No one should have Max luck and Max protection...there is no balance
And that is Wrong!

But greedy players want it all .....so ya there is an agenda here...theirs!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i have a suspision that insta suit arming wasn't a deliberate feature, but more an accident
Have you downloaded EC and looked at how it works? The icons and macro for switching suits are clearing set up to make it instant. Icons and macros that are designed into the UI aren't even on the same level as corner skipping and speeds that happen to result while running the client,

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And let's accept the premise that features built into the EC give players advantages over those who use the CC. Don't you think it's likely those features were built into the EC as an incentive to get players to use it? You can lead a horse to water ... but then the horse says, "Sorry, I don't like the graphics"

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Instant suit switching breaks immersion. Doesn't make any sense that you can instantly change your armor in the middle of combat

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
And let's accept the premise that features built into the EC give players advantages over those who use the CC. Don't you think it's likely those features were built into the EC as an incentive to get players to use it? You can lead a horse to water ... but then the horse says, "Sorry, I don't like the graphics"
Well the graphics are quite horrible...

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An Introduction to Spellcasting – Ultima Online

uo.com states:
"In pvp playstyles consideration is also given to the ‘spell damage increase’ property found on some items and effective for magic users, though not for warrior’s casting skills. This bonus from items is capped against other players at 15% except for ‘pure’ templates;
ie those that focus in only one spell school. Focused players, having no more than 30.0 modified skill points in another main skill set will be able to benefit from a raised cap to 30%."

Yet, you can just carry a suit that gives 60 necro binded to your evil omen macro, then bind you normal suit to your other spell macros, and you can evil omen FS someone with 30% sdi.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

uo.com states:
"In pvp playstyles consideration is also given to the ‘spell damage increase’ property found on some items and effective for magic users, though not for warrior’s casting skills. This bonus from items is capped against other players at 15% except for ‘pure’ templates;
ie those that focus in only one spell school. Focused players, having no more than 30.0 modified skill points in another main skill set will be able to benefit from a raised cap to 30%."

Yet, you can just carry a suit that gives 60 necro binded to your evil omen macro, then bind you normal suit to your other spell macros, and you can evil omen FS someone with 30% sdi.
I had honestly never thought of creating a macro that would equip a bunch of stuff, cast a spell, and then revert all the equipment.

That's awesome!

Thank you!

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran

uo.com states:

Soon you will have characters that can cast every single spell in the game just by insta swapping +skill gear

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Instant suit switching breaks immersion. Doesn't make any sense that you can instantly change your armor in the middle of combat
The game is MAGIC based.... Instant suit switching is like Genie in I dream of Genie giving the head nod and instantly changing her outfit...

That's the most ridiculous argument ever.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
A single character can basically have access to ALL SKILLS AND SPELLS just by running EC and a backpack full of gear. Anyone think this is balanced?

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not entirely sure how I feel about if we should have the ability to switch a suit mid-combat. However, it is one of the main reasons I forced myself to start playing the EC. Rocking my 211 stam suit and then instantly switching to a 18 DE, 30 KE, 30 FE 18 HPR suit if/when things went south was not something I could pass up, of course once I did I found other incredible benefits to the EC but like a few have said that isn't specifically what this thread is about.

Maybe someone should do a poll on the desired question?

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
The game is MAGIC based.... Instant suit switching is like Genie in I dream of Genie giving the head nod and instantly changing her outfit...

That's the most ridiculous argument ever.
Stopping in the middle of battle, and drinking a potion is the most ridiculous thing ever. Running and being able to drink at the same time is the most ridiculous thing ever (takes at least 2 seconds to drink a potion... right?) Maybe drinking a potion should automatically stop you dead in your tracks for 2 seconds where you can't do anything else but drink.. Carry 15 weapons, and 3 to 4 suits in a backpack, while fighting is the most ridiculous thing ever. Being able to sprint in a full suit of platemail armor is the most ridiculous thing ever

Cry baby jurassics who are running umpteen scripts while PvPing are the most ridiculous thing ever.

This thread is the most ridiculous thing ever.

This feature which has been available for 8 years now, is now all of a sudden being brought up. Seems like more and more players are coming around, using the EC, and realizing it's FAR FAR superior to the CC.

Last edited:

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stopping in the middle of battle, and drinking a potion is the most ridiculous thing ever. Running and being able to drink at the same time is the most ridiculous thing ever (takes at least 2 seconds to drink a potion... right?) Maybe drinking a potion should automatically stopped you dead in your tracks for 2 seconds where you can't do anything else but drink.. Carry 15 weapons, and 3 to 4 suits in a backpack, while fighting is the most ridiculous thing ever. Being able to sprint in a full suit of platemail armor is the most ridiculous thing ever

Cry baby jurassics who are running umpteen scripts while PvPing are the most ridiculous thing ever.

This thread is them most ridiculous thing ever.

This feature which has been available for 8 years now, is now all of a sudden being brought up. Seems like more and more players are coming around, using the EC, and realizing it's FAR FAR superior to the CC.
Well of course it is superior when it allows you to play a 6000 skill point template... Doesn't mean I agree with it.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Well of course it is superior when it allows you to play a 6000 skill point template... Doesn't mean I agree with it.
Looks like you'll have to code some better scripts to keep up with the EC, or just use the EC all together.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Funny you should mention this. Ever since reading about the suit switching feature in EC, I think I'm going to give it another go. I don't PVP but in pvm I think I could have some fun with this feature.

As far as the op I unfortunately agree. Makes absolutely no sense to be able to swap suits instantly in combat.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Funny you should mention this. Ever since reading about the suit switching feature in EC, I think I'm going to give it another go. I don't PVP but in pvm I think I could have some fun with this feature.

As far as the op I unfortunately agree. Makes absolutely no sense to be able to swap suits instantly in combat.
I think a 30 second Cooldown would be good. PvMers can still switch to their luck suit at the last minute.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran

But being able to drink a potion does!? Lots of things don't make sense. :rolleyes:UO is a magical world. This is a fantasty game afterall...

And the OP is the same guy who floated the idea to the Devs here on Stratics to shutdown champion spawns at the wee hours of the night because he had to go to sleep, and players were doing spawns while he was asleep, and couldn't raid them.:lol::coco:

Stop your bitchen' and moanin' and use the EC is you want this feature.

What they should do is just throw the CC in the garbage where it belongs, and we wouldn't have to see anymore stupid threads like this being brought up about an 8 year old feature built into the EC.

Stick to your scripts jurassics, or wake up and start using a far superior client.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stopping in the middle of battle, and drinking a potion is the most ridiculous thing ever. Running and being able to drink at the same time is the most ridiculous thing ever (takes at least 2 seconds to drink a potion... right?)
Have you never seen a marathon?

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I think if the poll was worded "PvP and PvM mechanics, rules and restrictions should be 100% separate" it would have overwhelming support.
Agreed. It would certainly get my vote. And I wouldn't have a dog in this fight.

Many us of strictly PvMers are sick and tired of change requests to PvP which affect PvM.

Suit swapping makes PvM interesting as you can experiment with different templates, strategies as opposed to doing the many of the same things over and over again which lead to burnout.

In a nutshell.....suit swapping...it's $%^*&% awesome. Don't be taking it away....

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stopping in the middle of battle, and drinking a potion is the most ridiculous thing ever. Running and being able to drink at the same time is the most ridiculous thing ever (takes at least 2 seconds to drink a potion... right?) Maybe drinking a potion should automatically stopped you dead in your tracks for 2 seconds where you can't do anything else but drink.. Carry 15 weapons, and 3 to 4 suits in a backpack, while fighting is the most ridiculous thing ever. Being able to sprint in a full suit of platemail armor is the most ridiculous thing ever

This thread is them most ridiculous thing ever.

+1

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
That's just it, you don't have to stop for a drink you can do it while running. Shield and spear in 1 hand dixie cup of gatorade in the other.
+1

Exactly. It makes perfect sense. People in marathons run and chug all the time. And that happens in real life.

Now imagine a marathon runner trying to take off their pants and put on a new one without ever stopping and somehow do it instantly. LMAO. And that would be just 1 piece of clothing, not the entire suit.