• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The truth about Gold in Uo..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My opinion on insurance is that I like it personally, it reduces risk for people and people who don't want it can go to Siege :)

Also as an aside if I want to check my bank balance quickly I just bring up item insurance menu and there it is for me.

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Last few posts have got distinctly sidetracked by some pretty personal rubbish, frankly...

"Just" get some new players in who want to remain in the game, bring some RL funds in, and the rest is moot. Build up the economy across all the price ranges for all types of items, demand across the spectrum, yadda, usw. etc.

If things are that bad, crank up the cost of insurance for higher end stuff, reduce it for GM items, havea few "uber-PvP" gods and let the rest of us duke it out with crafted items that can be easily replaced.

Consider it the Kia / Daewoo approach to economics...

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Couldn't of said it better Mechiah. Players players players players players. More Players, more items being brought in. More items being brought in more Gold being circulated.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Melchiah I have kind of held off from pointing this out to you but things don't work in reverse like that, they have to have a good reason to come.

When they smash whoever is behind all the real life criminal activities that go on in the game then they EA and Broadsword will basically get free advertising because I'm pretty certain it would be scandalous if people knew who was behind it all, the people who work with them and for them included in that.

They can then start to point to the improved economic system with the tools they used to catch the criminals out.

Build it and they will come mate that is what I keep saying :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of course you never said anything about insurance. mentioning something that was in real life and brought into UO would have spoilt your post wouldnt it. Whoosh. Straight over your head. And no. We didnt need it.
First I was listing things that require no GOLD to play and as far as UO Insurance being the same as Real Life you are very much mistaken because in Real Life you die and you do not get Rezed and have all your stuff returned, sorry. But lets say it happens your rates in real go up so please don't use the BS that real life has insurance because they are nowhere the same.

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well therein lies the problem Loriel.
To a non UO player, or a lapsed player, what is the reason as to why they have left or not played in the first place? If it's the state of the economy, then blow me down. If it's what they do about scammers, dupers, money launderers and so on, then super. If it's whatever the hell you're advocating to make it a free-market economy... Yeah exactly.
But if it's the quality of UO and the sheer immersiveness, the freedom, the do whatever you want to do, then that's more like it.
Coming from an industry that relies on the word of mouth for the consumer to spread to new customers, with an industry penetration of less than 8%, then the whole marketing side is so much more important. When the main reason people cite as to why they didn't try it is that they didn't know it existed, the actual similarities to UO are surprisingly tangible. That industry? Sight correction.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mate I think you've hit the nail on the head.

One thing I will say is that the issues with those people you mention are really at the heart of the current state of the economy, if people had been more responsible in the first place this wouldn't have happened.

With that exposure those other more fundamental elements of the game can be explored quite nicely.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*enters the tavern room through the main door and shakes off the evening chill*

Picking up on the conversation.

"The truth about gold in uo?"

*rolls his eyes in disbelief that the conversation is still going on as he left a week ago at post 60 or so*

"The truth about uo gold is you dont need it to have a great time

Uo is a game with an endless amount of play styles. Working for gold and items is just one of them"

After almost 30+ years of playing ultima I am very much enjoying myself on Siege.

Working my way up one mongbat at a time.

*heads to his usual chair by the fire and flips the tavern keeper a small bag of gold*

Clear the room tonight my friend I grow weary with the banter and pleass bring me a bottle of that good old Moonglow Red.

As the tavern keeper clears the room he taps his pipe and fills the bowl with some savory vesper tabac

"How about we all get back to our quests and do what really makes a difference"

Last edited:

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This whole thread is ridiculous!

Tell me again how any player can have any idea at all how much gold and/or what items another player has stored among their accounts? Oh wait you can't. You don't have access to another players gold information. You can't open another players account storage to see the items. So no one here has any real information on who is wealthy or who isn't. Or even how much gold is truly in the economy?

You don't truly know what anyone has really sold and at what prices. You might have a story or two about a player you once knew. Or you have your own experience. But you can't possibly know anything about what the majority of players do or don't do. You have no way of knowing how many items truly sell or trade at all. The real information simply isn't available to you. You don't even know if the majority of players act rationally. So in reality no player really knows anything about the true operation of the UO economy or how to fix it. At best you are putting forth wild guesses on what you think you know.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First I was listing things that require no GOLD to play and as far as UO Insurance being the same as Real Life you are very much mistaken because in Real Life you die and you do not get Rezed and have all your stuff returned, sorry. But lets say it happens your rates in real go up so please don't use the BS that real life has insurance because they are nowhere the same.
You are excellent at completely missing the point. It had nothing to do with dying of being rezzed.

You use currency to insure items so that if they are lost then they can be replaced. In UO and in real life this is possible. So there is a real life system that has been adopted into UO.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everybody listen!, I think we all learned a very important lesson in this thread, and this lesson is… DON'T COMPLAIN, BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU GOT! NO, that's not... UH, quite, right?!

UH, be careful what you say! Nope, that's not it either...

UH, don't jump to conclusions, NO, NO, don't try to be something you're... NOT... cause, UH,… be yourselves?!

I just don't know y'all... maybe the lesson is sometimes, some people do stuff, things happen, lots of gold made, and it kind of goes nowhere and, ...............

Anyway, thanks for the gold and checks

BYE!

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Cleaned up the thread.
Keep it clean.

:grrr:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been away for a couple of weeks, but I'll reply to several things that caught my eye:

but the King of Britannia should take a bigger cut if you get ridiculous with your prices to encourage some restraint on sellers. They need to make crazy prices become a serious gold sink using vendors after the prices get past six digits.
Sellers can't exercise a bit of "restraint" when inflation demands they charge higher prices to stay at square one. Have you noticed the surge in prices in U.S. grocery prices over the last seven years? It's also reflected in stable prices but for smaller volumes, e.g. 59-ounce cartons of orange juice. There hasn't been such inflation since the 1970s. In both the real world and UO, it isn't a matter of "greed" or "squeezing consumers," but because currency is worth less and less.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
" but because currency is worth less and less." - Well done, glad you understand the definition of inflation :)

Inflation is a side effect not a cause btw that is my point.

Everything that needs to be said about this has already been said.

Time for action, Time for deeds, Time for Legends.

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Developer imposed "price controls" would be completely unacceptable. I couldn't disagree more. Who are a select few individuals to say what items should or shouldn't be priced at? Supply and demand, as with anything else, should dictate prices.

I am all about creating some more gold sinks in the game, and I can see making vendor costs a bit higher for items priced at 100M or higher... but certainly not anything bigger than six figures, as you suggest. In example, I got a small soul forge from MaNerva's scalis runs this morning. This item typically goes for anywhere between 100M to 140M. Are you suggesting that developers come in and put a price cap on this, just because some individuals might not have enough time to earn that much?

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA." - Gordon Gekko

Quote from Wall Street applies to UO. Competition for the best items makes this game thrive. Everything should not be cheap and available for just anyone. New players shouldn't be able to afford the best stuff as soon as they get in the game, which seemed to be the point of the last thread about gold. This game's economy is one of the most intriguing aspects of what keeps some folks, like myself, coming back. Some of us enjoy bartering, trading and earning enough to get those elite items. Makes it more rewarding when you finally get them.
I couldn't agree more. I've said before that no game is like UO because of the vibrancy of a player-driven economy. That duping has skewed prices doesn't detract from the amazing nexus of trade as people push themselves to produce in order to consume.

A cap on any particular item enables more people to afford it, but it also makes acquisition a matter of luck. If someone (real world or UO) asks a higher and higher price that fewer can afford, it limits the item to those who place higher and higher value on the item, as well as maximize's the producer's surplus. It means someone says, "Darn, but I wanted that and would have paid more than most anyone else, after I played more to acquire more gold so I could get it."

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
" but because currency is worth less and less." - Well done, glad you understand the definition of inflation :)

Inflation is a side effect not a cause btw that is my point.

Everything that needs to be said about this has already been said.

Time for action, Time for deeds, Time for Legends.
No, inflation is a cause. It's clear you don't understand it.

And for your absurd and self-centered reply, I have nothing but more incentive to take a few minutes here and there with the replies I intended. There are various reasons I haven't been bothering with Stratics lately, but this thread has now become worth my time to revisit. You may want to become very, very quiet now, I assure you.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder what would happen if Bill Gates and Warren Buffet were limited to only 1 billion gold-- err dollars...
Limited as in they couldn't acquire any more regardless of giving away anything over 1 billion, or limited in that anything over 1 billion would be forcibly confiscated? Either way, they'd have reduced incentive to continue in what they do. Goodbye to foundations. Goodbye to the jobs they support, from construction workers building and maintaining their houses to all the levels of jobs producing the technology they personally use.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This would at least keep the money out supporting the economy instead of just vanishing into bank accounts never to be seen again. Businesses can't make money if to few have the money to buy their products, and then more wind up out of work due to layoffs so even fewer have money to buy what businesses make, and around and around and down the economy goes.
I'm not sure which post you were replying to, but speaking generically, forcing more money into an economy would only lead to higher prices. We don't see this in developed economies because few "save" money by hiding it somewhere, rather, they deposit it in some sort of institution that lends it out. Yet even if we went back several centuries before the rise of banking, most anyone who "hoarded" gold did so in order to use it later for consumption. Very few acquire gold just for the sake of the shiny metal.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, inflation is a cause. It's clear you don't understand it.

And for your absurd and self-centered reply, I have nothing but more incentive to take a few minutes here and there with the replies I intended. There are various reasons I haven't been bothering with Stratics lately, but this thread has now become worth my time to revisit. You may want to become very, very quiet now, I assure you.
Inflation is a cause. but before that something causes inflation. That something is too much gold pouring into the game (through scripting and duping) and far too few outlets (such as gold sinks).

The answer is really simple.

a) Put measures in place to stop duping and scripting.

b) switch to a digital bank account based gold system and knock two zeros of everyone's balance.

Solved

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the vendor fees are a disincentive to put products on the market and are disproportionate to the value of goods being sold today. When was the last time that vendor fees were updated in line with inflation ?
Since you clearly do not understand the concept of inflation, I'll point out for you that since vendor fees are almost fully based on percentage, then any inflation does not matter.

The question is this, should the vendor fees be proportionate to your total gold reserves in the same way taxes apply in real life... rhetorically speaking yes as this would incentivise people who are building up their finances, to put items on vendors without being penalised for doing so.
No. And since you haven't noticed, if you tried implementing in UO what is done in real world progressive tax systems, it would do nothing but push prices even higher. Do you think that if a store were charged higher taxes based on what a government declares is a higher tier of prices, then based on the minimum it must charge to offer the products for sale, the store wouldn't raise prices even more to cover the taxes? If you agree with that fundamental truth, why do you think UO would be any different? Businesses do not pay taxes; they only pass them on to buyers.

It essentially gives people a realistic way to catch up to people and compete with them in a fairer market place.
It is already very fair, because people produce more in order to consume. UO is even easier than the real world because how most players produce is non-rivalrous.

Won't it be wonderful when people like you manage to turn what's left of production shards into Venezuela, all for the sake of "fairness"?

The risk should be placed on those people who hold the most equity as they are the ones that can afford the losses should the items fail to sell over a sustained period.
Don't look now, but the risk is already borne by those attempting to sell. You can sell for a high price and maximize profit, or you can move products faster. I had a Yew vendor for a good while when the abbey was Sonoma's hotspot. I had a pretty good business selling GM leather suits, giving you an idea of how long ago that was.

This would require what has been talked about a lot already with regards to a global financial tracking system.
Yes, the global system to charge a bit per transaction, and do other insidious things, to stifle the marvelous network that's created our global prosperity.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Inflation is a cause. but before that something causes inflation. That something is too much gold pouring into the game (through scripting and duping) and far too few outlets (such as gold sinks).

b) switch to a digital bank account based gold system and knock two zeros of everyone's balance.

Solved
I agree with point a) and half of point b).

No one wants to lose money even if it scaled so that everyone loses by the same factor... so I disagree that two zeros should be knocked off.

As for Zog Historian, I take one look at his posts and just think to myself, another greedy so and so, probably just another identity of a gold seller that everyone knows has wrecked the game, providing another jumbled and biased self justification and without countering any of the points just attempting to cloud the issues further under a smog of BS.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Solved
It's the next step in an increase of the money supply, and some define it further as an increase that's greater than the increase in demand of goods. "Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output." - Milton Friedman

As long as the dupers keep going, everyone else is dragged down. No matter what one would have charged, he needs to keep up in charging higher prices if he needs that income to consume.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure which post you were replying to, but speaking generically, forcing more money into an economy would only lead to higher prices. We don't see this in developed economies because few "save" money by hiding it somewhere, rather, they deposit it in some sort of institution that lends it out. Yet even if we went back several centuries before the rise of banking, most anyone who "hoarded" gold did so in order to use it later for consumption. Very few acquire gold just for the sake of the shiny metal.
Didn't do well in history, psychology, and sociology classes I see.

So many fail to learn from history, why the world keeps going through the same bad experiences over and over. Look up the various revolutions in past centuries and this century around the world and what the situation was that caused them.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Calling the vendor rate exorbitant is like calling a gallon of water a lake. Simple solution to reducing the vendor fee, drop your prices out of the stratosphere and bring them down to Earth. Prices customers don't think are ridiculous makes vendors pretty cheap because the items sell.
As I replied to someone else: as long as the dupers keep going, everyone else is dragged down. No matter what one would have charged, he needs to keep up in charging higher prices if he needs that income to consume.

A butcher on Bleeker Street may be able to sustain a big profit margin by selling ribeye steaks for $X per pound, but if he has to pay a lot in rent because of surging prices in his personal consumption, higher transportation costs, and higher taxes, then he has to charge higher prices for his subsequent consumption. Yet a seller can only charge what the market will bear. Nobody is being forced to pay higher prices. People can and do lower prices in order to move product faster, like this butcher who needs quick cash to pay a kid's tuition bill next month.

Walter Williams once mentioned that his wife called certain prices "unreasonable." His reply: "Only unreasonable people pay unreasonable prices." Yet if a Tangle is worth 50 million to someone because he, for whatever reason, wants it badly and immediately enough, someone would grab an unused Tangle off a character and get the 50 million. Someone else might say, "Hey, I've got one for 40 million." This is how competition works.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Didn't do well in history, psychology, and sociology classes I see.

So many fail to learn from history, why the world keeps going through the same bad experiences over and over. Look up the various revolutions in past centuries and this century around the world and what the situation was that caused them.
Actually, I did extraordinarily well. What I posted is completely factual. Instead of your general talk about "the same bad experiences" and "various revolutions," which I have studied and written about extensively, do you have a specific point? Or are you saying that because people can't take the wealth of others, they will revolt?

If you want to talk about "revolution," you need to realize the stark differences between the American Revolution and the birth of a country based on individualism, and the French Revolution with its false promises of "equality" (when it merely subjected people to a different type of ruler).

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think most people here understand economic principle number one - Increase the size of the pie that means a bigger slice for everyone, even if their proportion of the total remains the same.
Actually, the first principle is that people respond to incentives. But you are correct in the general idea that if the pie increases, a person can still have more even if he maintains the same percentage — or less. What's wanting, however, is your idea of how to increase the pie.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well the whole point about inflation is that it is about value.

Inflation itself isn't an issue as long as all players can keep up with it and function to a reasonable level within the game, to the point that they feel both valued and able to give value to others.

That doesn't necessarily mean specifically relating to money because I have found that when money loses value then other things become more valuable... unfortunately misplaced loyalty is usually what I have found.

What is truly valuable to me is embodied in all the virtues that are part of the games Lore and the turning of people away from vice and back onto the path that leads to growth and flourishing.

Regarding revolution it is only really justifiable in a dictatorship where there is a vast concentration of wealth in one or two individuals.

No one wants to be given a hand out or take money in the manner you are suggesting which is essentially stealing if you explain your perspective fully.

People want to earn money from others by providing value, if they don't feel they can provide value then they feel they have nothing to offer and lose any semblance of real productivity.

That is the downward spiral that was plaguing this game but it is all change for the better now with people genuinely contributing to turning things around and I think that is great.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The money is a by product of the energy and vigour he invested in fighting the battle he fought.. you ask any sportsman... is the rush of the performance on the pitch more important to you than the money made as a by product of that and you see the answer.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually are we basing the "truth", like the title states, as absolute, objective, relative, or subjective?

Because from what I am reading is more in many forms of personal theories than any truth base. Then again. "truth" has many different form of major and minor theories depending on how you look at it and decide what the "truth" is.

Far as I am concerned it is time for a new form of currency in UO. Dump the current gold as a turn in for the new currency that cant be duped at all in any way since UO currency will go to digital form.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually are we basing the "truth", like the title states, as absolute, objective, relative, or subjective?

Because from what I am reading is more in many forms of personal theories than any truth base. Then again. "truth" has many different form of major and minor theories depending on how you look at it and decide what the "truth" is.

Far as I am concerned it is time for a new form of currency in UO. Dump the current gold as a turn in for the new currency that cant be duped at all in any way since UO currency will go to digital form.
There are simple principles of economies that even a virtual world cannot ignore. Inflation is one of them.

Part of my past proposals was that it can be called "gold," but it's tied to a character like a stat. The original EQ, as I recall from six weeks before I went back to UO, didn't require picking up gold. Would this encourage gold farming? Perhaps, but there are already illegal methods of scooping up gold. I don't see it would encourage any more than the present, and monster farming isn't the problematic source of new gold.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those of you that do actually want to follow this discussion and how the issues of UO economics are reflected by real world economics then please follow this link which is where Riyana has posted the continuation of this discussion to.

http://stratics.com/community/threa...e-truth-about-gold-in-uo.341075/#post-2550907
The debate these two are having is going to be interesting to follow. Two schools of thought going at it, evidence vs evidence. Going to be an educational experience. :)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems I missed a couple of replies, but you'll find them up soon enough. Trust me: it doesn't take long with her.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
Walter Williams once mentioned that his wife called certain prices "unreasonable." His reply: "Only unreasonable people pay unreasonable prices." Yet if a Tangle is worth 50 million to someone because he, for whatever reason, wants it badly and immediately enough, someone would grab an unused Tangle off a character and get the 50 million. Someone else might say, "Hey, I've got one for 40 million." This is how competition works

LOVED!!! - When someone "want" something they will pay regardless the amount!!!

"Far as I am concerned it is time for a new form of currency in UO. Dump the current gold as a turn in for the new currency that cant be duped at all in any way since UO currency will go to digital form.

No Matter what they use! Today is Gold, tomorrow can be Diamond or anything, the new currency will have the same value of the gold

Cutting the Zeros would not help at all, if the tangle was 50M and now is 5M, people will still pay the 5M, This will only make the Current value of the gold go up... and people will still pay whatever price...

I will repeat what was posted here before! "If I play 15 Hours a Day to make my Gold, and you play 2 hours a Week, Why I have to share my gold with you??, I work really hard for my Gold, I pay for well over 30 Accounts, I invest a lot of my real life time on it, and PLS explain me, why I have to share with someone that only play 2 hours......I dont think is fair at all!!

People need to stop crying and playing their own game... It is SO easy to make 100M a day, and If you are smart and work hard, you can raise 1 Billion in 1 week of work!!.

I will give you example, that dont require any type of Brain... If you just sit on Luna Bank and listen to the Gen Chat, you can buy and resell Items, Houses and so many other things to different type of players all day long.

I can buy the soulforge for 90M if someone is "desperate" for gold to buy whatever they need, and I can resell for 140M (I just made 50M)
and you can do that ALL day long....

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People need to stop crying and playing their own game... It is SO easy to make 100M a day, and If you are smart and work hard, you can raise 1 Billion in 1 week of work!!.

I can buy the soulforge for 90M if someone is "desperate" for gold to buy whatever they need, and I can resell for 140M (I just made 50M)
and you can do that ALL day long....
Provided you have the 90 million to toss around to start with. (and yes, I do :) )

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
Provided you have the 90 million to toss around to start with. (and yes, I do :) )
If you dont have 1ooM , you need to re-think your gameplay!!

Idoc's for example, is a lottery, you can make 10M or 500M+ depend on the item that you find!! Now the point is, some people dont want to stay almost 15 Hours waiting for the House to collapse!!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you dont have 1ooM , you need to re-think your gameplay!!
I've got around double that which is more than I have any use for given I don't do rares or high end gear. Heck I was tossing checks to make room for storage of useful stuff when I left for a couple years. The new money system their talking about making would have been handy back then.

Having more of something than you have any possible use for is a waste of storage. Makes having a clutter conniption and chucking useless junk out the windows the thing to do. :thumbup:

Armani Exchange

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I can't help but think a housing tax should be added, the bigger the house the bigger the tax, if you don't pay your tax your house should fall

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't help but think a housing tax should be added, the bigger the house the bigger the tax, if you don't pay your tax your house should fall
That would help though I'm sure castle owners will foam like a rabid orc that it's unfair.

Another idea would be taxing rare treasures. Those with tons of rares could brag about how high a tax they pay compared to that trash collecter next door who goes on & on about all the awesome stuff he's collected. :party:

I still think they should just do gold removal in an in game fashion though. Actually dangerous NPC brigands rob travelers, obviously wealthy houses of the well off get robbed occasionally unless they employ well paid NPC security guards, NPC gold transfers between banks get stolen and never seen again ( a small percentage hit on a random number of bank balances), and such shenanigans. How imaginative can the Devs get? :eek::pirate: :p

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Solved
While a) would be nice stopping duping has proven to be elusive over the years, it's more like a game of whack-a-mole, but I agree that b) is the correct solution and have suggested it over the years. No one actually loses anything, the richest will still be the richest and the poorest still the poorest and since UO is a closed system no one can game the conversion. 1 Decimal place is sufficient. Almost all transaction would then be able to be carried out with vendors since the 1 billion gold items are now 100m.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That would help though I'm sure castle owners will foam like a rabid orc that it's unfair.

Another idea would be taxing rare treasures. Those with tons of rares could brag about how high a tax they pay compared to that trash collecter next door who goes on & on about all the awesome stuff he's collected. :party:

I still think they should just do gold removal in an in game fashion though. Actually dangerous NPC brigands rob travelers, obviously wealthy houses of the well off get robbed occasionally unless they employ well paid NPC security guards, NPC gold transfers between banks get stolen and never seen again ( a small percentage hit on a random number of bank balances), and such shenanigans. How imaginative can the Devs get? :eek::pirate: :p
More stupid ideas. I have been playing for 17 years and got my castles like maybe 3-4 years ago so now I have to pay a bigger TAX for my Castles, how about you or UO give me e rebate for all the years I supported them without a Castle. Yes I have what some consider rares and now I have to pay extra for that too. Until you pay for multiple accounts for over 17 years non stop then please keep the idea that longer paying vets should pay even more. You don't think paying all those years and supporting UO so UO is still here for you to play means nothing. Please until you have something useful to say than say nothing at all.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Your house should fall for not paying a UO tax? What are they, the IRS? I don't see any purpose in this, aside from targeting individuals with keeps and castles as an additional gold sink. Having a house fall because you didn't pay some arbitrary tax bill is the last thing this game needs.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking about the complaints about inflation and what people are willing to pay for a item. I was reminded of an episode of an old favorite TV show of mine. The show was Forever Knight the episode was "Queen of Harps"

Johanna Shea
: "There's a saying in the antique trade, detective, that the value of any item is whatever someone is willing to pay for it."

Det. Nick Knight: "Then the harp is as expensive as they come, because someone's killing for it."

I think that says it all.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
< ... digs around looking for his Protection from Rabid Orc talisman... > :p

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hey hey everyone is going way overboard on the whole tax idea.... all I said was that vendor fees currently act in the same way taxes do, as they stand now.

The more the value of an item for sale the more the vendor fee cost is to the seller and a simple change to the vendor fee scaling would encourage more sellers to go to market, effectively giving them a "tax" break.

I honestly think any more taxation than what is already represented would simply be arbitrary rather than a practical solution to anything in particular.

Remember people its not the amount of gold people have that is the issue, people are entitled to whatever amount of gold they have earned or are earning.

As for people pointing to inflation being an issue, yes it is only in terms of people being able to "catch up" in terms of being competitive themselves, scaling vendor fees would go a long way to fixing that.

To be honest over the last few months as far as I can see there has been very little price inflation and a lot more price stability and this has a lot to do with traders making sure they stick to the prices they advertise over a sustained period of time.

Anyone who thinks that hyper inflation is still happening is either using it as an excuse to set prices at an artificially high rate or believes they can because everyone bought into their propaganda.

All it takes is a few people to stand firm in their valuations, set prices responsibly, neither too high nor too low and then stick by that despite what the tide is doing at that time.

The market then fluctuates towards and then builds around where the true value is.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One other thing I will mention is the rares/event items market.... there are some pretty cool items out there however buying one of them is not really an investment because of the volume of that bracket of items.

There are literally so many items like that they are not going to appreciate in price much, if anything they will depreciate in value.

My advice is to limit the number of event drops, maybe even the amount of events like this so they are a more appreciated and well attended occurrence.

Instead of a new event every week just limit it to once a month on one particular shard or another.

There was a player led event series on Europa recently and also some unannounced events that sprang up spur of the moment and got the whole shard involved to tackle a particular boss or another in a public manner.

This was a great example of what events should be like and guess what ? Not one EM created event item was handed out apart from the natural loot on the bosses which was actually pretty good.

I know it has been said before many times, if the number of EM event items was reduced going forward then they could make the items have greater utility for playing the game rather than just being a cosmetic piece of deco.

There are a number of museums around Umbra on the Baja shard and one in particular has a weapon that is more powerful than the best legendary artifacts and this was a event item.

What would incentivise people to attend events more other than items that could be game changers in terms of their usefulness in game.

This is not limited to weaponry but also armour, time saving devices similar to vet rewards etc, the list goes on.

Its also a good way to save on cost in terms of planning the events, if they are less frequent.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One other thing I will mention is the rares/event items market.... there are some pretty cool items out there however buying one of them is not really an investment because of the volume of that bracket of items.

There are literally so many items like that they are not going to appreciate in price much, if anything they will depreciate in value.

My advice is to limit the number of event drops, maybe even the amount of events like this so they are a more appreciated and well attended occurrence.

Instead of a new event every week just limit it to once a month on one particular shard or another.

There was a player led event series on Europa recently and also some unannounced events that sprang up spur of the moment and got the whole shard involved to tackle a particular boss or another in a public manner.

This was a great example of what events should be like and guess what ? Not one EM created event item was handed out apart from the natural loot on the bosses which was actually pretty good.

I know it has been said before many times, if the number of EM event items was reduced going forward then they could make the items have greater utility for playing the game rather than just being a cosmetic piece of deco.

There are a number of museums around Umbra on the Baja shard and one in particular has a weapon that is more powerful than the best legendary artifacts and this was a event item.

What would incentivise people to attend events more other than items that could be game changers in terms of their usefulness in game.

This is not limited to weaponry but also armour, time saving devices similar to vet rewards etc, the list goes on.

Its also a good way to save on cost in terms of planning the events, if they are less frequent.
Are you advocating that Broadsword should axe most of the EM team, do one event per month on a random shard, and have that one event drop a single or very small number of powerful weapons or pieces of armor?

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think less EM events would certainly lead to less people playing Ultima Online. Players clamor for more content not less. And like you mentioned above, there was great player turn out and not one EM event item was handed out. So it isn't necessarily about the event item is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.