• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Producer's Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Naisikras

Err... I supervise 18 assisted living homes and essentially 60 staff. I do on call rotations as part of my job. I answer to staff, my clients, their families or guardians, and county and federal agencies. I often come into my office with up to 20 voice messages. Daily.

And guess what, kiddo? I am required to promptly reply to everyone. And I do.
What is this??? So there is a lot for you to do I see, but you take care of your customers first??? Interesting idea, you might be on to something here...

W

Woodsman

Personally, I'm down to one account now. I'm just holding it as it has always been my 'prime' and deciding if UO and its poorly performing team are even worthy of a pitiful 9.99 a month.
The fact that they just kept us in the dark shows what kind of respect they have for us. Kinda like ending relationships....
I was where you were at a few years back, and I walked away, and it was a good thing I did. It's a good time to walk away, because you've both reached a point where if it's not one thing making you angry, it's another, and it's not worth $10 month to be that aggravated at something that should be enjoyable.

I'm always much happier when I quit for a while and then come back.

Just make sure and bank all your valuables and don't leave them to IDOC hunters like I did.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it would have been nice to get a "Gee guys we are running late sorry for that update you later". Only thing is for 90% of you it would not be enough. Read your posts over the last month or two. You have been down right surly to any and all about this.

You all have a habit of draging them down because your intrest is not addressed. Cal gave an explanation. You need to give it time. I swear its like your acting like 3 year olds.

I do agree a small hi guys would have been welcome thing to hold many over till this comes out. But on the other hand,( I do try to see both sides of this) The taking of information out of context and blowing it up has been this groups MO for years. Cal and the Dev try to avoid this.

As your friend I ask you to be patient and wait.
(offeres a chocolate)

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice. I log onto uoherald and see the headline "Producer's Update" and the content of it is updating us about updates that will be updated. Gotta love it.

C

canary

Yes it would have been nice to get a "Gee guys we are running late sorry for that update you later". Only thing is for 90% of you it would not be enough. Read your posts over the last month or two. You have been down right surly to any and all about this.
My god, please just stop assuming things. It's seriously tiring and downright old.

If people have been 'surly' its because for the past month there has been ZERO communication. What part of this are you utterly failing to comprehend?

N

Naisikras

I apologize to all if my posts are a bit negative. It's just this is something I have been looking forward to for YEARS. How long does a PR touch up take?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My god, please just stop assuming things. It's seriously tiring and downright old.

If people have been 'surly' its because for the past month there has been ZERO communication. What part of this are you utterly failing to comprehend?
Regardless though, Storm has a point. A lot of people here wouldn't accept a simple apology or an honest explanation. You might, but it would turn into a big flame-fest by most other people.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People complain entirely too much if they aren't updated constantly. UO has a very responsive team that tries its best...they don't always succeed in that, but then, who does?

G

Gunga_Din

I hope so as well. The thing about a classic shard that bothers me most is that it will most likely draw existing players to it, which will harm other shards. I'd rather they take the resources necessary for a classic shard and put them towards improving Siege and Mugen.
Have you been to most shards? Most are dead. I'd consider it a nice server merge without having people whine about their server being shut down and losing their castle.

Even if I had 5 castles on a dead shard, I'd trade it all in for a server merge down to 4 shards just to see people outside of luna.

The classic shard will allow people from all the shards to participate. Doesn't mean they will have to give up the shards they play on right now. Perhaps you can have an extra house there. So 2 houses per acct. One on say Atlantic and one on the new classic shard.

Its a win win in my book. You won't notice anyone leaving most shards anyway.

C

canary

Regardless though, Storm has a point. A lot of people here wouldn't accept a simple apology or an honest explanation. You might, but it would turn into a big flame-fest by most other people.
So silence is the better route?

Yikes to those who feel that way.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I apologize to all if my posts are a bit negative. It's just this is something I have been looking forward to for YEARS. How long does a PR touch up take?
Waiting is always difficult. The upside, even when frayed nerves result in some negativity, is that it's so evident how much UO players care about this game. :)

N

Naisikras

A lot of would of been upset? Most likely
And a lot of people would have been calmed as well...

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So silence is the better route?

Yikes to those who feel that way.
I never said that nor did I mean to suggest it. It's just a truth.

B

BeefSupreme

I really don't like the "Magincia will be rebuilt on X date." :(

It's like I'm watching a movie, not playing a game.
Really, I know it has to be done at some point, but there has got to be a way
for players to influence what happens.
What would I like to see? A battle for the city that players will have to choose sides for.
If the bad guys win, magincia stays in ruin on that shard. Battle is
fought again, say in a week, until the 'good guys' win. Eventually all shards become the
same again, to keep all shards congruent with each other.. but it at least gives some control of the enviroment to the players for a time.

G

Gunga_Din

You all have a habit of draging them down because your intrest is not addressed. Cal gave an explanation. You need to give it time. I swear its like your acting like 3 year olds.

I do agree a small hi guys would have been welcome thing to hold many over till this comes out. But on the other hand,( I do try to see both sides of this) The taking of information out of context and blowing it up has been this groups MO for years. Cal and the Dev try to avoid this.

As your friend I ask you to be patient and wait.
(offeres a chocolate)
Can you just stop posting for a few months, you bring nothing to the table and just start up pointless rants.

N

Naisikras

Waiting is always difficult. The upside, even when frayed nerves result in some negativity, is that it's so evident how much UO players care about this game.
Amen, brother. After all these years, UO is still my favorite game. No songs/music touch my soul like uo stones does... Yea... I guess I just raised my nerd flag :p

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd rather them fix up things with the current booster and tackle the large amount of issues with the EC before moving on to another booster.

I'm hopeful that this is their plan because I really don't think they can pull off two boosters a year unless they really ramp it up.
Bless you and yours. :)

Yeah we are gonna tackle EC bigtime this year. Derek will address that in the video.

- C

That's great news then. Thanks.

I'd wish everybody would move onto the Enhanced Client and be done with the Classic Client once and for all with the least of trouble.

Let's hope that 2011 is the year in the life of Ultima Online that this can finally come true.....

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I love to use the EC it rocks ! but there are things in the CC I like also (graphics is the main thing) but lets not turn this into a CC vs EC !

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the eggs in one basket huh? Normally that is a very bad idea. More rides on this than most people would believe and know. The past is not the present this time. You guys are out of freebies and I do hope you know it. Let's get this video out soon and when we do ... listen.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'd wish everybody would move onto the Enhanced Client and be done with the Classic Client once and for all with the least of trouble.

Let's hope that 2011 is the year in the life of Ultima Online that this can finally come true.....
Until there is EC only content this will never happen.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ooooo Siege... Ooooo Siege, I do pray thee get a little love one day....

/cries
I hope so as well. The thing about a classic shard that bothers me most is that it will most likely draw existing players to it, which will harm other shards. I'd rather they take the resources necessary for a classic shard and put them towards improving Siege and Mugen.

That's a good point.

Personally, I have always thought that one of the reasons that hurt the playing on Siege or Muegen was the 1 house per account across all shards, Siege and Muegen included.

It is a hard choice to be made to give up one's own home on a commercial shard to be able to place one on Siege or Muegen.

Perhaps, just perhaps, making an exception for Siege and Muegen to be able to have an alternate house on those shards, besides having one on any given commercial shard, might help bring some new players onto Siege and Muegen.

Would not fix all problems there may be but it could be a start, I think......

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I love to use the EC it rocks ! but there are things in the CC I like also (graphics is the main thing) but lets not turn this into a CC vs EC !
I have to confess I'm one of those holdouts who are hesitant to switch, but I'm an old dog who is slow to learn new tricks. Regardless, if they do resolve to finally go to the EC and phase out the classic client, I'll learn and adapt. Hopefully, others will, too, should that happen.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Err... I supervise 18 assisted living homes and essentially 60 staff. I do on call rotations as part of my job. I answer to staff, my clients, their families or guardians, and all county and federal agencies involved. I often come into my office with up to 20 (or more) voice messages. Daily. And let's not forget the emails.

And guess what, kiddo? I am required to promptly reply to everyone. And I do.

So, kiddo? Please spare me your speech, because I do it every day, and I do it WELL.
OK superman....in answer to your abilitys and the general health care facility management.

I was for years a RN and have seen many a assisted living and care facility, I do know how they are run.... fair to poorly. Staff is underpaid and mostly at best semi cared for patients. My own mother went to one after knee surgery and feared she would never get out!!! She is not alone in that fear. I dont doubt your business savy in handling the heavy pace of it. You could very well be the exception to the general rule of over all problem of the health care these places have. I wont pull out the numerous examples of abuse and lack of care, and even responceability for patient deaths many have been in the news with these places over the years. Management at work.....

In concern to the UO dev and thier jobs - yes its not life threating or of national secruity.

This is a game which Cal and the dev manage. Normal business offices do and have had over the years extenuating circumstances that cause delays. They are not exempt just because its a game. They may be friendly and kind to us in answering your request for information. The time it takes to get this to you where its complete and throughly accurate and true may vary.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have to confess I'm one of those holdouts who are hesitant to switch, but I'm an old dog who is slow to learn new tricks. Regardless, if they do resolve to finally go to the EC and phase out the classic client, I'll learn and adapt. Hopefully, others will, too, should that happen.
Well if you ever decide to give it a good try let me know or come over to the EC forum and we will get you hooked up!

I think people would be really surprised of the things the modders have done in the last couple months ! They have come out with things I did not even know could be done!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Then let's hope that 2011 is the year that we start seeing Enhanced Client only content as added ?

C

canary

OK superman....in answer to your abilitys and the general health care facility management.

I was for years a RN and have seen many a assisted living and care facility, I do know how they are run.... fair to poorly. Staff is underpaid and mostly at best semi cared for patients. My own mother went to one after knee surgery and feared she would never get out!!! She is not alone in that fear. I dont doubt your business savy in handling the heavy pace of it. You could very well be the exception to the general rule of over all problem of the health care these places have. I wont pull out the numerous examples of abuse and lack of care, and even responceability for patient deaths many have been in the news with these places over the years. Management at work.....
My. God.

Assisted Living Homes. You know, care for the developmentally disabled? In their own houses or apartments in the community?

Seriously... just stop. Now. You keep talking about things you have absolutely no idea about and you just keep digging yourself an even bigger hole. I personally don't care what kind of treatment your mother received, we aren't even talking about the SAME THING. To add to that, you go off on this obtuse rant about your mother's care and deaths at hospitals when it not only is the field I work in different your personal experiences have ZERO to do with my personal work ethic.

Please issue a response when and if you ever have something substantial to contribute. I may be waiting a while.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Well if you ever decide to give it a good try let me know or come over to the EC forum and we will get you hooked up!

I think people would be really surprised of the things the modders have done in the last couple months ! They have come out with things I did not even know could be done!
I'll keep it in mind and let you know if I get up the gumption to try it out. I'm such a creature of habit, it sometimes takes a boot in the rear or a "This is your only option" to get me to move into something brand new. :)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah we are gonna tackle EC bigtime this year. Derek will address that in the video.

- C
Veeery encouraging. Dermott, are you reading?

I see that, and I look forward to seeing what will be said, but I'm holding off on excitement until I see something beyond "updated clilocs" in an EC patch. Still WAAAY too many outstanding issues that even the modders can do nothing about to deal with, both in terms of game quality lowering bugs and simple client quality needs.

I believe in fairness in dealing with what the Devs do... if they show me some honest progress on the EC, I'll recognize them for it, if we get another "big EC patch" that does very little in terms of progress (like the last time), then I'm going to call them out on it.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

- C
Veeery encouraging. Dermott, are you reading?

I see that, and I look forward to seeing what will be said, but I'm holding off on excitement until I see something beyond "updated clilocs" in an EC patch. Still WAAAY too many outstanding issues that even the modders can do nothing about to deal with, both in terms of game quality lowering bugs and simple client quality needs.

I believe in fairness in dealing with what the Devs do... if they show me some honest progress on the EC, I'll recognize them for it, if we get another "big EC patch" that does very little in terms of progress (like the last time), then I'm going to call them out on it.
That sounds fair and reasonable. I would have expected nothing less.

J

jaashua

As far as the UOgamecodes discounts. I think one of them needs to be the shard transfer tokens.

We need a west coast super shard, but convincing thousands of players to drop $20 each to move their characters is unrealistic. That or, rather than buying a universal transfer token, allow people to buy a token with a preset destination. So I could buy 50 transfer tokens to Pacific or Baja for $2 each and sell them on my vendor for 2M and get some folks moving.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far as the UOgamecodes discounts. I think one of them needs to be the shard transfer tokens.

We need a west coast super shard, but convincing thousands of players to drop $20 each to move their characters is unrealistic. That or, rather than buying a universal transfer token, allow people to buy a token with a preset destination. So I could buy 50 transfer tokens to Pacific or Baja for $2 each and sell them on my vendor for 2M and get some folks moving.
Yeah! Transfer token for multiple characters would be good too.
What's the super shard?

F

Fayled Dhreams

What's the super shard?
possibly a "buzz word" for >consolidation< ... *ahem*

Not that it has been "foreseen/planned" but ...
if it ain't >totally free< ... won't necessarily be a good idea ...
*shrugs*

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
possibly a "buzz word" for >consolidation< ... *ahem*

Not that it has been "foreseen/planned" but ...
if it ain't >totally free< ... won't necessarily be a good idea ...
*shrugs*
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Pacific but wanted to make sure. My post was directed at who I was asking. Go away.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My own main concern is that it seems that the rebuilding of Magincia is more or less set in stone; that's a shame, I think many of us were hoping it would be something we could technically fail to achieve.
I know what you mean, but there's still hope that what gets 'rebuilt' as a New Magincia and it's subsequent local populace may be massively varied depending on how well or badly (depending on your perspective!) the players did fighting for or against the bane.

I can still hope there may be cities that are totally Bane-inspired design, some Britannian human/elf, maybe some that are an architectural mix with some Ophidian and Meer styling thrown in for variety...

I'm doubtful that's in the plan, but like I said, I can hope.....

H

Heartseeker

My. God.

Assisted Living Homes. You know, care for the developmentally disabled? In their own houses or apartments in the community?

Seriously... just stop. Now. You keep talking about things you have absolutely no idea about and you just keep digging yourself an even bigger hole. I personally don't care what kind of treatment your mother received, we aren't even talking about the SAME THING. To add to that, you go off on this obtuse rant about your mother's care and deaths at hospitals when it not only is the field I work in different your personal experiences have ZERO to do with my personal work ethic.

Please issue a response when and if you ever have something substantial to contribute. I may be waiting a while.
You realize that your attacking one of the few positive and upbeat people on this forum right?

Not sure what your issue is, but if a computer game upsets you so much that is sad thing.

Comparing your job to a dev doesn't make any sense either because they are very different, one is creating something while you provide a service.

While there is many that are dissatisfied at this moment, there are others that could wait all year for this.

Take a break for a bit and don't attack people all the time that have nothing but good intentions.

C

canary

You realize that your attacking one of the few positive and upbeat people on this forum right?

Not sure what your issue is, but if a computer game upsets you so much that is sad thing.

Comparing your job to a dev doesn't make any sense either because they are very different, one is creating something while you provide a service.

While there is many that are dissatisfied at this moment, there are others that could wait all year for this.

Take a break for a bit and don't attack people all the time that have nothing but good intentions.
There are few upbeat people here due to the climate the current UO team have brought upon themselves.

Someone may be 'positive', but that doesn't equal 'right'... and the tangents of said individual are obtuse and bizarre at best.

And while the UO team do create things, what they also provide is a service. You obviously are missing the original point that professionalism and customer courtesy should be handled, even if you have a lot on your plate during your 40 (and over) hour week at work. The point was that if I can meet deadlines and get back to everyone in my allotted timeframe, there is no excuse to see others in jobs with far LESS at stake shirk and disregard their customer related duties that are a requirement of the job.

And yes, I mean you, Cal, if you ever read this.

J

jaashua

What's the super shard?
I hadn't thought of that, but I can imagine it would be too complex as, right now, you can bring followers. Maybe a non-transferrable "join shard token" for all characters on an account that has had a character transfer to a shard. It could be used to join the other character at whatever shard he went to. eExpires after like 7 days or something.

And, yes, it would be Pacific. And it wouldn't be easy to get people to move there. Cheaper transfer tokens removes one huge hurdle though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow....

Well first off, Cal I sure as shoot hope your not blowing smoke up my arse..... and I am going to hold you to that EC statement.... that you can be assured of... I will be expecting good news on the EC front to be forthcoming.

As for some of the rest lets see.... Magincia rebuilt.... current metafiction ending thank the gods... about time :pint: Heres to hoping it's not a big massive let down...

Alright moving on... BasaraAs for the Weather... Honey I live in the Midwest.... NORTHERN midwest. Don't tell me about weather..... I also work in a hospital... we don't close. I don't care how awful the weather is.... I don't miss work and my job is busy as all get out. Let me see I work in a Laboratory.... If I handled my Job like they do theirs you might get some results from me after I stab you and miss 18 times of course.... sometime next month... Is that ok with you?????? Of course it isn't. No I do my job timely and accurately with the utmost of precision... And I do that 100's of times a day, 24 hours a day 7 days a week... Something breaks down which is very rare because we perform maintenance like no ones business.... you can bet we do everything in our power to get it up and going again and if we think for one second that a delay in results might adversely effect someone then we ship the samples out to another lab so that we don't harm the patient.

I don't hide it under the carpet and make them wait weeks on end. And you know what??? If something does break you can bet I communicate that ASAP to the staff... So they know what we can and can not do in a timely manner. Don't excuse them.

As for that remaining positive BS hey I tried for many years... but you know after so long of the same old rhetoric that ability has died in me. To me the DEV team get treated like they have conditioned us to treat them.... Ever read about the boy who cried wolf??? I did the lesson was not lost on me.

Also and on a final note... When can we get the Housing fixed? You gave us the ability to be co-owned to 10 houses..... but each house can only have 10 co-owners so that's pretty much USELESS! Please let us have at LEAST 30 Co-owners... 70 would be better.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am upbeat Canary. My shard is dead... It has been neglected for quite some time.

We understand a second rule set is beyond the current teams ability to handle. The pvpers and Pkers are mostly gone. If you doubt that, log in and walk around on Siege.

Those you hoping for good news on a third rule set, well, good luck.

I am still upbeat. My shard is still here. I still have a modicum of influence on it.

Is it all I wish it was? No. We on Siege are being neglected while the "team" wonders about a third rule set.

By neglected, I do not mean we do not get every damned thing every other shard gets. Some times those things do not play out well on Siege.

Still. I am upbeat.

Many think I am a fanboi... Not true. The staff of who ever the hell runs UO knows how I feel.

Still, I am upbeat. Until Siege is shut down, I will be here.

C

canary

There's positive signs and negative signs. No real point in ignoring the positive ones too.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player
That's a lovely sentiment; its a shame you then gloss (or ignore) over the praise I have given people (including others such as stratics staff) in the past for good work they have done. Or even most recently a thread regarding Draconi's new position.

Either way, dear, I'm not losing sleep over your opinions. :p

H

Heartseeker

There's positive signs and negative signs. No real point in ignoring the positive ones too.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player
That's a lovely sentiment; its a shame you then gloss (or ignore) over the praise I have given people (including others such as stratics staff) in the past for good work they have done. Or even most recently a thread regarding Draconi's new position.

Either way, dear, I'm not losing sleep over your opinions. :p
lol, that made me chuckle....

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Then let's hope that 2011 is the year that we start seeing Enhanced Client only content as added ?
If you see that, you will have a lot less UO players then you do now!

W

Woodsman

The point was that if I can meet deadlines and get back to everyone in my allotted timeframe, there is no excuse to see others in jobs with far LESS at stake shirk and disregard their customer related duties that are a requirement of the job.
Their jobs are at stake if they don't do what they are told to do by EA.

That may not be a big deal to you, but in today's economic climate, and given what just happened at EA over the past nine months, that's a pretty serious thing, because their jobs are putting roofs over their heads and food in their families' stomachs.

Our money does not go directly to the dev team, it goes to EA who tells the dev team what to do and when to do it, and I think you've forgotten that.

You should be raging at EA.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Their jobs are at stake if they don't do what they are told to do by EA.

That may not be a big deal to you, but in today's economic climate, and given what just happened at EA over the past nine months, that's a pretty serious thing, because their jobs are putting roofs over their heads and food in their families' stomachs.

Our money does not go directly to the dev team, it goes to EA who tells the dev team what to do and when to do it, and I think you've forgotten that.

You should be raging at EA.
Agreed. In addition to the fact that the dev team has been cut so badly that they are a bit understaffed to really do what they need to do. Hell the devs can only share with us what they are allowed to share.

I really do wonder what would happen if EA really did care enough about this game. Where would UO be if they actually funded this game to do something else other than keep it buoyant.

S

Sevin0oo0

I personally liked the update. and least we didn't have to get it from Facebook or Japan first.
Sounds like last chance for +/- Bane points

Status
Not open for further replies.