• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Calvin Crowner - UO Producer's Letter

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
“This is your captain speaking … we’ll be climbing to an altitude of 36,000 feet. Expect some turbulence on ascent. Once we reach cruising altitude, I’ll turn off the seat belt sign, and you’ll be permitted to move about the cabin … Due to FAA regulations smoking is not permitted … unless you’re sharing the good stuff with the rest of the crew. Thank you for flying Britannia Airlines”

Twelve years and a Guinness Book record mention later, we are still here!

More...

kulder

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel like we're not about to land anytime soon, so can someone pass the good stuff

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I am all for reducing the obvious hacks/speeding I would caution that it has become clear that a certain percentage of the player base is reliant upon certain programs. Lets not kill the base outright if we(the devs) cannot at the very least add some content to limit the "loss" certain programs might add.

I'm sure that I might get a bash and thats fair but lets not kill the golden goose.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
'ere... *bumps* 'ere.

Yeah, no, this whole thing did not do much for me.

Do love our vets though. *why is there no flag icon to the right?*

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
All I have to say is, it's about freakin' time. This is something I had pretty much given up on. They may lose some clients as a result of this, but I am certain they will keep far more than they lose, and probably gain more new subscribers in the long run as a result of this.

For all of you that have become reliant on **** **, I guess you're going to have to learn to play without it, like the rest of us do. I would also suggest you check out the enhanced client, you can't cheat with it, but you can do a lot of things you can't do with the classic client, this that will make up for some of the functionality you will lose as a result of the death of **** **.

Of course, the pragmatic side of me says, I'll believe it when I see it...

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love Cal's posting style. Nothing dull about them *grins*

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I am all for reducing the obvious hacks/speeding I would caution that it has become clear that a certain percentage of the player base is reliant upon certain programs. Lets not kill the base outright if we(the devs) cannot at the very least add some content to limit the "loss" certain programs might add.

I'm sure that I might get a bash and thats fair but lets not kill the golden goose.
All I have to say to those people is, tough!

If they can´t play without using other programs, tough! I´d rather see xx% of the players disappear than have to deal with cheating ingame.

But like Llewen said...

I'll believe it when I see it...

E

ElRay

Please o please Santa/tooth fairy/Easter bunny/Kukulkan let this be true.

While I am all for reducing the obvious
hacks/speeding I would caution that it has become clear that a certain percentage of the player base is reliant upon certain programs. Lets not kill the base outright if we(the devs) cannot at the very least add some content to limit the "loss" certain programs might add.

Let UO be rid of like minded people. This way of thinking that somehow UO needs cheaters to continue to run is waaay past stupidity.

F

Fink

Death to Cheats.

They're not the sort of people we want anyway. Sure, some may quit if they can't use their programs, but others who quit over rampant cheating may return, also. There are those who can't function without cheating, and then there are those who cheat only to compete. This latter group would probably rather not have to resort to this sort of thing and may indeed welcome a change. The consensus seems to be that of all the MMO's, UO has the best PvP "if it weren't for the hacks", so let's clean it up. As for cheating in PvM & Crafts, that's just sad and pathetic.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More importantly, something I know you have been waiting for – engineering has been working on speedhacking and 3rd party program detection. We’re closer each day to a solution, but are not publishing it until it’s solid.

O

OxAO

Calvin Crowner:
There is no doubt the scripts and the like are abused but to delete everyone would be sad.

It is also really annoying that we can not even get a legal UOAM replaced or larger viewing screen for a modern computer.
It seems so basic to the game.

no i will not play 3d

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

KR was shut down in September. Current modern technology client is the "Enhanced Client" which runs the same Gamebryo system that KR used, has a larger game window, and a map system while it doesn't replace UOAM by any stretch, has some nice upgrades from the 2d standard radar map.

But. if you want to continue restricting yourself, that's not my fault.

H

Harb

Academy grad? Cal/ Uriah what was your AFSC? Though an Army guy myself, I spent 4 years with USAF and can speak the language :)

R

RavenWinterHawk

please....
And if they all dont have them its the same as having.
Spare the player base will die BS.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So...put a carrot in front of my face again eh? think those blinders will keep me from lookin around? come close and I will definitely put these teeth in your a...

O

OxAO

KR was shut down in September. Current modern technology client is the "Enhanced Client" which runs the same Gamebryo system that KR used, has a larger game window, and a map system while it doesn't replace UOAM by any stretch, has some nice upgrades from the 2d standard radar map.

But. if you want to continue restricting yourself, that's not my fault.

I am sorry but this is not an improvement over 2d not by a long shot.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dagurdragon#p/u/0/UNU-kNpewcw

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speedhacking and 3rd party program detection.

Discuss
It is the same old getting rid of speedhacking and scripting is our top priority spiel that we have heard every year for the last 4 years.

What is the delivery date? 2018? Unless we will have it within a couple of months and it works on both clients, it is just the same old pointless BS, because all the cheaters will just use the Classic client.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My hats off to all of those Non Cheaters. Once they get rid of all of the xxxxUO users, all 10 of you will have lots of room to run around and congratulate each other in. :rolleyes:

O

onthefifty

almost king????

down with the elf king.... long live king richard.....

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Explain the "loss" speedhacking and other cheating programs are adding to the game!
Explain why you want to support players who rely on cheating in order to compete in PvP!

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't like nor want the "EC" client.

I would like to see basic stuff for the 2D client that are not reliant upon a external program pot specific keys, multi item arm, dress macro. Mapping like everyone said. Ablity to open a second client. Limited basic scripts should be part of the game if you want but not the ablity to loop, such as strip mining a cave or plotting a wood chopping area.

I'm all for stopping the stuff but lets not go back to the stone ages.

Sara1

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, thank you for giving us a light at the end of the tunnel. Speed hacking and some of the hacks that hurt us personally is all that really bothers me, but, it's ok if all are gone, too. I take pride in building my chars the long hard way.
And, again, I want to thank all of you Dev's who had a hand in the new AS and the Halloween quests. This has been so much fun, I love it more and more. Thank you all.

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's good to hear that UO might be moving forward! *smile face goes here*

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Fantastic.
Tell the playerbase a bunch of crap they want to hear to distract them from the fact that the BEST people from the game, the ones who CARED THE MOST about where UO was going, have been laid off.
Brilliant. Distract all the dummies with shinies.

C

Cal_Mythic

Academy grad? Cal/ Uriah what was your AFSC? Though an Army guy myself, I spent 4 years with USAF and can speak the language :)

Hey ... I was an acquisitions guy (bought missiles and old F-4s for a while) ... Cost Analysis ... Then I got to be a flight Commander for a bit up in the Northwest ... :)

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fantastic.
Tell the playerbase a bunch of crap they want to hear to distract them from the fact that the BEST people from the game, the ones who CARED THE MOST about where UO was going, have been laid off.
Brilliant. Distract all the dummies with shinies.
With all due respect Flutter, I'm gonna say this probably isn't a guy that was overly thrilled to deliver bad news on black monday, but perhaps is a guy that brushes off and says the community of players could use a pick me up about now. No one likes to lose their team, especially the best team we could ask for. I feel for everyone that has to stare at empty chairs right now.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I think it was a business move to reassure the playerbase some of whom may be considering closing their accounts before the hammer falls.

J

Jermosh

Hey ... I was an acquisitions guy (bought missiles and old F-4s for a while) ... Cost Analysis ... Then I got to be a flight Commander for a bit up in the Northwest ... :)
Did you attend in the Springs? I used to live near the Acadamy and loved when there was a AF/Navy game, they would try to beat each other on the field and in the air, I got to know the Thunderbirds quite well, I had them go into mach once over an remote lake I was fishing in once.

Thanks for you service and keeping my vice alive and well.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm going to go out and balance on a limb here Flutter and say that we wouldn't have had the bit about the subscription numbers rising if it were not true, but at the same time, the political "keep 'em happy" line is the line about speedhacking and exploit progams.

Today's patch for the EC was a small step, but one nonetheless... and trust me, noone's been pounding the "You went backwards!" drum in regards to the EC than I have.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

I'm going to go out and balance on a limb here Flutter and say that we wouldn't have had the bit about the subscription numbers rising if it were not true,
Oh I wasn't suggesting the man was lying.

C

Cal_Mythic

Did you attend in the Springs? I used to live near the Acadamy and loved when there was a AF/Navy game, they would try to beat each other on the field and in the air, I got to know the Thunderbirds quite well, I had them go into mach once over an remote lake I was fishing in once.

Thanks for you service and keeping my vice alive and well.
Yup! I was a Zoomie there in the Springs. Actually I went to Air Force Navy Game here in Annapolis this year. Air Force lost by a field goal. I was thinking wow that kicker is going to be eating alone for a couple weeks.

And unfortunately also being raised in Annapolis I think the Blue Angels are a better Air Team than the Thunderbirds even if Air Force are better pilots.

Also, I did get some stick time in an F-16 one summer. Fighter planes are the roxxorz

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup! I was a Zoomie there in the Springs. Actually I went to Air Force Navy Game here in Annapolis this year. Air Force lost by a field goal. I was thinking wow that kicker is going to be eating alone for a couple weeks.

And unfortunately also being raised in Annapolis I think the Blue Angels are a better Air Team than the Thunderbirds even if Air Force are better pilots.

Also, I did get some stick time in an F-16 one summer. Fighter planes are the roxxorz
Damn you zoomies. You got lucky and beat my Black Knights again :)

Wait till next year. Guess i can look forward to beating Navy this December!!!!!

Go Army!!!! Beat Somebody!!!!! <<<See, I can have a sense of humor about my cadidiots.

Oh, and thank you for the pep talk. :)

S

Stupid Miner

Very few people are "reliant" on scripts (and probably none who aren't crippled).

Scripting is what people do to get rewards without subjecting themselves to the tedium of actually working. It's what you do while *not* playing.

...well, people who are completely talentless may be reliant on scripts too.

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My hats off to all of those Non Cheaters. Once they get rid of all of the xxxxUO users, all 10 of you will have lots of room to run around and congratulate each other in. :rolleyes:
Are you kidding me ??? So the author of this post subscribes to the logic that 99% of UO subscribers cheat and the 1% that don't are morons. It is cowardice for one to try and use scare tactics to maintain a grasp on the tool(s) which has become a crutch... of which without one feels they are unable to acquire any type of success on or off the battlefield.

Just incase some were waiting for permission or validation.... it's ok to play the game without using cheats, scripts, & speedhacks. It's ok to play the game as it was designed and intended.... it's ok.

Just wanted to add my post of support to the Developers & Engineers. Looking forward to fulfilled promises...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well...

I guess I can be somewhat happy not to be called a "carebear" again...

Still a bit perturbed about that one... so whatever comes from the man is always taken with a grain of salt now. Still none to pleased. This "carebear" likely pays EA half his salary every month. *scowls*

As for the veteran part... Yes I'm very proud of all the veterans serving and who have served this country. (Yes even he)

As for the bit about 3rd party apps. There has only ever been one use for the "program"... which was always being able to run more than one instance of UO... But now you can do that by a dozen or more other means... so it's useless now. I'll be happy when the cheaters are gone... maybe I'll be one of those 10 happy people. Now... if they can just put some more things in place to prevent hackers... or to help victims of hackers recover their accounts/characters and items. I would be certain that I have entered the twilight zone.. For surely if EA/UO began to show that it was really dedicated to fixing things important to players and put them first for once I'd have to be in some alternate reality.

If you can fix all that Cal.... this "carebear" might go to fel a bit more often than it does now.

O

OxAO

Thank you both (everyone that served) for all that you have done in the service.

We wouldn't be here now without you and people like yourself.

My father in law was an F 100 and F4 pilot in those two wars.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

More importantly, something I know you have been waiting for – engineering has been working on speedhacking and 3rd party program detection. We’re closer each day to a solution, but are not publishing it until it’s solid.
Eeeeeeexcellent.

I can`t wait to read the forums after some of these solutions are in place.

Gonna be nothing but crocodile tears :sad2::sad2::sad2: and plea`s of innocence. :lol:

Can`t wait. :thumbup1:

Now... if they can just put some more things in place to prevent hackers... or to help victims of hackers recover their accounts/characters and items.
There isn`t a problem with hackers,never was. Its a problem with their subscribers. EA can`t protect peaple from themselves.

Peaple do stupid stuff,like sharing acc info.... accepting files thru IM`s or email`s .... clicking links from emails... etc and so on. I`ve played online games of all types for as long as online games existed, not once have I ever been hacked.

A little common sense goes a long way.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well...

I guess I can be somewhat happy not to be called a "carebear" again...

Still a bit perturbed about that one... so whatever comes from the man is always taken with a grain of salt now. Still none to pleased. This "carebear" likely pays EA half his salary every month. *scowls*

As for the veteran part... Yes I'm very proud of all the veterans serving and who have served this country. (Yes even he)

As for the bit about 3rd party apps. There has only ever been one use for the "program"... which was always being able to run more than one instance of UO... But now you can do that by a dozen or more other means... so it's useless now. I'll be happy when the cheaters are gone... maybe I'll be one of those 10 happy people. Now... if they can just put some more things in place to prevent hackers... or to help victims of hackers recover their accounts/characters and items. I would be certain that I have entered the twilight zone.. For surely if EA/UO began to show that it was really dedicated to fixing things important to players and put them first for once I'd have to be in some alternate reality.

If you can fix all that Cal.... this "carebear" might go to fel a bit more often than it does now.
Thank you very much for bringing this up, and saving me the trouble of posting something extremely similar when I'm up far too late.

We should not let him forget that.

I was glad to see his message, I was glad to see him mention 3rd party programs, I was glad to see the thing about subscription numbers, largely confirming what I've already seen in-game.

But there's no reasonable way we can let him forget that he insulted the majority of his player base.

Thank you.

-Galen's player

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speedhacking and 3rd party program detection.

Discuss

Wonderfull, joyfull, FANTASTIC !!!

Finally, after years upon years upon years of just dreaming that cheating in Ultima Online was to go away perhaps I am going to see it.

I will believe it when I see it but at least I see a beginning.

It was always something I wanted dearly, be able to play an Ultima Online free of cheating and I was fearing that the game would have closed before that dream came true even though many years have passed by.

Maybe, perhaps, who knows, I will be able to play Ultima Online for a while, I hope a good while, without worrying about others scripting, duping, hacking, cheating.

Keeping my fingers crossed.......

By the way, the mentioning of a battle for good and evil hints about good upcoming changes to PvP in Ultima Online ?

I hope so.......