• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Calvin Crowner - UO Producer's Letter

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, his comment is still fresh in many players minds. The thing is, they are still not giving us details/info on who is or is not on the UO Team. That in itself will tell how stable UO is.

We all know how well EA tells us the truth.... :lie:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think we'll get any solid confirmation until those who want to have made goodbye posts.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I am all for reducing the obvious hacks/speeding I would caution that it has become clear that a certain percentage of the player base is reliant upon certain programs. Lets not kill the base outright if we(the devs) cannot at the very least add some content to limit the "loss" certain programs might add.

I'm sure that I might get a bash and thats fair but lets not kill the golden goose.

I don't know about that.

I thought the golden goose (subscriptions...) was killed already years back when nothing was done to stop rampant scripting, hacking, duping, cheating in UO.

A whole lot of my friends and people I used to play with at one point or the other stopped playing because they saw no point in playing a PvP game against others who were using something other than the regular client to gain an edge.

Personally, I guess that if scripting, hacking, duping and cheating in UO was gotten rid of or at least drastically reduced, we might perhaps see a good come back of old players who would like to play a Ultima Online free of cheating.

I mean, scripting harms the regular player whocannot compete with 24/7 scripters harvesting resources and Bulk Order Deeds thus making these activities worthless their time for the casual player or scripting for gold which causes inflation.

Hacking ? That harms the PvP player who, eventually, leaves the game in disgust having enough to try compete with other players who run freely all over at extra speed, even....

Duping ? That harms the rares player who sweats to build a collection with work, dedication and effort only to see that the rarest items so difficultly obtained have eventually been duped making weeks, months, perhaps years of work wasted....

Cheating can be devastating to players in may areas of the game and the sooner it goes away, the better, IMHO.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't like nor want the "EC" client.

I would like to see basic stuff for the 2D client that are not reliant upon a external program pot specific keys, multi item arm, dress macro. Mapping like everyone said. Ablity to open a second client. Limited basic scripts should be part of the game if you want but not the ablity to loop, such as strip mining a cave or plotting a wood chopping area.

I'm all for stopping the stuff but lets not go back to the stone ages.

The stone ages may look outdated but having automated playing of the game (scripting) while sleeping or doing else, so sofisticated to even answer back to GameMasters or hunt for gold, get Bulk Order Deeds or Hartwood runics and Library Collectibles 24/7 etc. seems way too much.

The new client allows for some good macros leaving out the 24/7 scripting so firing up the war on scripting, hacking, duping and cheating sounds to me good news for the game.

Those who want some automatization will still have the new client macroing system.

Sure, not as sofisticated as scripting but that's the point, get scripting out of the game for good.

At least, that's how I see it.

J

Jermosh

Yup! I was a Zoomie there in the Springs. Actually I went to Air Force Navy Game here in Annapolis this year. Air Force lost by a field goal. I was thinking wow that kicker is going to be eating alone for a couple weeks.

And unfortunately also being raised in Annapolis I think the Blue Angels are a better Air Team than the Thunderbirds even if Air Force are better pilots.

Also, I did get some stick time in an F-16 one summer. Fighter planes are the roxxorz
Cool, my son used to love watching them doing para training and the gliders, he really wants to fly planes or be a forest ranger, Colorado was quite the influence on him. I miss living there though.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Hey Popps they finally listened to ya! *Gives a wink and a friendly smile*

S

Splup

This is just awesome.

I'v been in PvP scene for a long while and I know lots of people there. This "10 people who won't quit" thing is just bs. Most of the speedhackers etc. use it cause they got sick and tired of trying to compete with speedhackers, and instead of quitting they downloaded speedhack. I quess same thing goes for many hacks around. Most of the players thou just quit cause tired of hacking... And then there's us who still play without cheats even thou it's frustrating seeing people skipping tiles like mad.

IF this cheat prevention is launched, most of the cheaters will just stop using their cheats and play without em. Ofc pure resource farming/scripting accs will prolly be closed, but I'm very sure that atleast many old PvP players who quit cause of cheats will be coming back. Prolly some old manual resource gatherers will come back too.

S

Splup

Hehe and Btw. It's funny reading that U.S army stuff.

There people respect soldiers very high and it's considered brave and noble serving military service. Also people seem to see War as a noble thing and so forth.

Here in Finland every healthy man has to serve Military Service or Civil service. Most go to army, sry I correct it's The Finnish Defence Forces. But yeah, it's an army.

So most of the men has been there and know that war would just freaking suck ass badly. And to those who are serving their military service... Us who have served ours already keep reminding how we have done ours already and how much they have left hehe. It's like a tradition.

But ofc there's that huge difference that Finland is not in a war. Only volunteers has to go to places like Afghanistan or Kosovo etc. And even there we'r not officially in war but as peacekeepers. Now there thou has been a lot of talk how in Afghanistan it starts to look more like being in war then acting as peacekeepers.

Big difference in our cultures there hehe. Could be cause we had 2 wars against Soviet Union on our own land, so the battle scars are deeper in that way.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
This is just awesome.

I'v been in PvP scene for a long while and I know lots of people there. This "10 people who won't quit" thing is just bs. Most of the speedhackers etc. use it cause they got sick and tired of trying to compete with speedhackers, and instead of quitting they downloaded speedhack. I quess same thing goes for many hacks around. Most of the players thou just quit cause tired of hacking... And then there's us who still play without cheats even thou it's frustrating seeing people skipping tiles like mad.

IF this cheat prevention is launched, most of the cheaters will just stop using their cheats and play without em. Ofc pure resource farming/scripting accs will prolly be closed, but I'm very sure that atleast many old PvP players who quit cause of cheats will be coming back. Prolly some old manual resource gatherers will come back too.
I think that this is very true. In fact, I think that after the initial shock wears off, former scripters will find the game much more satisfying.

Remember using debug menus and cheat codes in your old PC games? It was fun for a little while, but the enjoyment wore off quickly. Why? Because you had everything - there was no goal, nothing to work toward.

Sure, some will be upset at first, but I think that this move will be near-universally appreciated eventually.

C

CatLord

.... this "carebear" might go to fel a bit more often than it does now.
Make a carebear army... it worked wonders on Catskills.
We even got a harrower done last Wednesday.

Meet the team:

* I'm the one to the right...

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey ... I was an acquisitions guy (bought missiles and old F-4s for a while) ... Cost Analysis ... Then I got to be a flight Commander for a bit up in the Northwest ... :)

Lol, my dad was a panel engineer on C 130's, 133's and C-140's. He was in it for 32 yrs, finally retiring at McChord, where he had taken his basic.
Being an "Air Force brat" I was able to live a lifestyle most people can't understand (but that I loved) and was able to see more places by the time I was 18 than most people ever see in a lifetime.

R

Reximus

Will UOAssist no longer work when this goes in? how will the client make the distinction?

B

Beer_Cayse

... Peaple do stupid stuff,like sharing acc info.... accepting files thru IM`s or email`s .... clicking links from emails... etc and so on. I`ve played online games of all types for as long as online games existed, not once have I ever been hacked.

A little common sense goes a long way.
I was playing Kesmai on CompuServe when it cost $20/hour with a 300baud modem and an Atari 8-bit. I'm with you ... never been hacked and common sense FTW.

N

northwoodschopper

i always thought it would be a great idea for the devs to code in a 'dupe', and release it to the premere exploit communities. a dupe of a dupe, so to speak. since it's dev controlled all the way, any evidence would be rock solid, and the UO death sentence could be issued to all involved -- perma ban of name, address, ip, pay method. especially if the method could only be used with full-pay accounts.

a daily patching could very well destroy any 3rd party support at all as long as it's not patterned, and would be a great option if all of the features of UOAssist are integrated.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe and Btw. It's funny reading that U.S army stuff.

There people respect soldiers very high and it's considered brave and noble serving military service. Also people seem to see War as a noble thing and so forth.

Here in Finland every healthy man has to serve Military Service or Civil service. Most go to army, sry I correct it's The Finnish Defence Forces. But yeah, it's an army.

So most of the men has been there and know that war would just freaking suck ass badly. And to those who are serving their military service... Us who have served ours already keep reminding how we have done ours already and how much they have left hehe. It's like a tradition.

But ofc there's that huge difference that Finland is not in a war. Only volunteers has to go to places like Afghanistan or Kosovo etc. And even there we'r not officially in war but as peacekeepers. Now there thou has been a lot of talk how in Afghanistan it starts to look more like being in war then acting as peacekeepers.

Big difference in our cultures there hehe. Could be cause we had 2 wars against Soviet Union on our own land, so the battle scars are deeper in that way.
Spulp,

I don't think we are illusioned as to the realities of modern warfare. But there is a fairly large portion of the population who understand and venerate the willing sacrifice of an individual who will place themselves in harm's way to defend and advance the cause of individual freedoms and liberties, upon which this amazing country was founded.

Is it perfect? No, absolutely not. Yet even with all its flaws we recognize it as the most true to the human spirit on the planet. At its best it seeks to empower those with the will to better themselves and rewards hard work.

These sentiments posted in other places could easily start a brush fire and that is far from what I am seeking to accomplish here. We honor our vets because they selflessly choose to stand in defense of principles and ideals that make our country, in our very biased opinion, the best in the world and a beacon for those who feel that their opportunities are limited by forces they cannot control.

I have a you tube link I'd love to share but I think maybe its best if I restrict myself to words alone.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think we'll get any solid confirmation until those who want to have made goodbye posts.
Yep, you are probably right. I never have understood this about game companies.

When I have led teams on projects, and there have been many over the years, I am always pleased to introduce the customer to who and how many I have working on their project and to show interest and dedication to doing a good job for them.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup! I was a Zoomie there in the Springs. Actually I went to Air Force Navy Game here in Annapolis this year. Air Force lost by a field goal. I was thinking wow that kicker is going to be eating alone for a couple weeks.

And unfortunately also being raised in Annapolis I think the Blue Angels are a better Air Team than the Thunderbirds even if Air Force are better pilots.

Also, I did get some stick time in an F-16 one summer. Fighter planes are the roxxorz
but sadly for you guys not a patch on the RAF Red Arrows;)

bring back the F-4, legendary

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It is the same old getting rid of speedhacking and scripting is our top priority spiel that we have heard every year for the last 4 years.

What is the delivery date? 2018? Unless we will have it within a couple of months and it works on both clients, it is just the same old pointless BS, because all the cheaters will just use the Classic client.
As I said, I'll believe it when I see it, but this does seem different this time. This isn't a big flashy action that makes a lot of noise but makes very little real difference in the long run. This the first time we've heard anything about 3rd party cheat detection since the PunkBuster idea was scrapped. So on the surface, this is different from what we've heard before.

Beyond that, I think that the enhanced client already has built in anti-cheat functionality. I'm pretty sure that what they are talking about here is the classic client. The fact that the classic client received a huge patch, while the enhanced client received a much smaller patch, on the same day they made this announcement, also gives me some hope.

I've said this already a number of times. No new client is going to gain mainstream acceptance until the cheat monster is beaten into submission with regard to the classic client. UO has a huge cheating problem, and a very significant portion of the client base uses illegal third party apps, even "good" people. And I would say most of the cheating that goes on is crime of opportunity.

There are lots of reasons why players cheat, but in the case of UO, I think the majority that cheat, cheat because the cheats are very easy to access, and up to now there have been very few meaningful consequences for using them, so much so that they are openly used and discussed in just about every guild I've ever had any meaningful contact with.

3rd party cheat detection won't get rid of all the cheaters, but if it is backed up by real punitive action, it will virtually eliminate the "casual cheaters" that I have been talking about, and doing that will eliminate 99% of the cheating that goes on in the game, and at the same time free up resources that can be used to go after the hard core cheaters that won't be stopped by simple third party cheat detection.

My only hope is that they start off with warnings, or minor punitive action before they start wielding the ban hammer in a serious way, because cheating is part of the culture of UO, and an awful lot of people do it.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cal's post gives hope in a time or uncertainty. Me likes.

Did the UO team get affected with the layoffs? I'm not clear on this. Sounds like it's the other divisions.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
We honor our vets because they selflessly choose to stand in defense of principles and ideals that make our country, in our very biased opinion, the best in the world and a beacon for those who feel that their opportunities are limited by forces they cannot control.
Very well said. I think it's worth it to add, that even if we disagree with an individual mission, we should still honour those who have put themselves in harms way following the orders of their democratically elected governments. On some level, even if we consider the mission to be wrong headed, these soldiers, and those serving in the the apparatus that supports them, are still fighting for the ideals of democracy and liberty.

S

Salya Sin

Make a carebear army... it worked wonders on Catskills.
We even got a harrower done last Wednesday.

Meet the team:

* I'm the one to the right...
You make me proud to be a carebear!

And why is carebear any different than Trammie... or Seige's names for all the other players on all the other shards? Join the slinger club and come up with a name for all of them... then when they say it... we can be 12 again and bounce it right back... :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Hey! Not all Siege folk think that way! *smiles*

O

onthefifty

i would think uo assist will still work. it is not considered a cheat program.

any of you guys proficient in game design care to opine on how they would go about detecting third party programs?

and if cheating is removed i'm all for it. it would be nice to see a level playing field. while there at it maybe they will remove dismount archer tamers as well....:gee:

S

Sabbath

Did the UO team get affected with the layoffs? I'm not clear on this. Sounds like it's the other divisions.
There have been no official announcements but it has been speculated with some limited unofficial confirmation that the UO team was affected.

Instead of a statement of who was 'affected' by the layoffs, I wish EA/Mythic would just produce a current list of team members. I don't see anything wrong with knowing who is currently on the UO team at any given time.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There have been no official announcements but it has been speculated with some limited unofficial confirmation that the UO team was affected.

Instead of a statement of who was 'affected' by the layoffs, I wish EA/Mythic would just produce a current list of team members. I don't see anything wrong with knowing who is currently on the UO team at any given time.
I've always wanted a list of current members. Credits is good too, but not quite the same. Stratics does a good job of listing some of the top members, but would be nice to hear from some of the others.
It feels like family when we hear from them. :grouphug:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it perfect? No, absolutely not. Yet even with all its flaws we recognize it as the most true to the human spirit on the planet. At its best it seeks to empower those with the will to better themselves and rewards hard work.

Personally, I would much rather prefer to see an ending to divisions and have all people, regardless of nationality, race, creed and gender realize that we are just all same passengers of this floating ball in space we call earth.

A rock that has limited space, limited resources and that if we do not tend to it, dearly, will sooner or later make us realize how our divisions have caused more harm than good, overall.

Not to mention the responsibility I think we hold, as the dominant species on the planet, towards all of the other creatures inhabiting it.....

Sometimes I really wished we finally got to see aliens exist (from other planets, that is...). Perhaps it could work as a stimulous to mankind to cease all divisions and work together.

Just nonsense dreaming, I know..........

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only hope is that they start off with warnings, or minor punitive action before they start wielding the ban hammer in a serious way, because cheating is part of the culture of UO, and an awful lot of people do it.

I agree, it has been going on forever to just wake up one day and start banning accounts left and right.

I am all against cheating, but we need to understand how long this has been going on.

It has to be stopped, that's for sure, but for a little while it needs some understanding and softer touch until players adjust to the new status quo in a Ultima Online (hopefully) free of cheating.

O

onthefifty

Personally, I would much rather prefer to see an ending to divisions and have all people, regardless of nationality, race, creed and gender realize that we are just all same passengers of this floating ball in space we call earth.

A rock that has limited space, limited resources and that if we do not tend to it, dearly, will sooner or later make us realize how our divisions have caused more harm than good, overall.

Not to mention the responsibility I think we hold, as the dominant species on the planet, towards all of the other creatures inhabiting it.....

Sometimes I really wished we finally got to see aliens exist (from other planets, that is...). Perhaps it could work as a stimulous to mankind to cease all divisions and work together.

umm
LIBERAL HOGWASH.... J/K :stir:

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey ... I was an acquisitions guy (bought missiles and old F-4s for a while) ... Cost Analysis ... Then I got to be a flight Commander for a bit up in the Northwest ... :)

In every world, real and virtual, I thank you for serving and for defending my Life, Liberty, and Property.

May God bless all who have served, are serving, and who one day will serve!

An SoS

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Fear Not Popps,

For He is coming!!! His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, and Prince of Peace. All division will cease; lion and lamb will lay side by side, and Peace shall rein Eternal.

Till then, we have Trammel. :)>]

An SoS

L

Llwyd

I'm just glad UO will continue to survive for now. Whatever its flaws, UO ranks very high on my list of enjoyable activities.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fear Not Popps,

For He is coming!!! His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, and Prince of Peace. All division will cease; lion and lamb will lay side by side, and Peace shall rein Eternal.

Till then, we have Trammel. :)>]

An SoS
Til then we have work to do. Keep your lamps trimmed and burning.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Calvin Crowner. You mentioned subscriptions. Please relay to us the number of subscriptions per month in your tenure as UO Producer, so that we too can bask in the warmth that comes of old players re-activating their accounts.
Thanks.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I agree, it has been going on forever to just wake up one day and start banning accounts left and right.

I am all against cheating, but we need to understand how long this has been going on.

It has to be stopped, that's for sure, but for a little while it needs some understanding and softer touch until players adjust to the new status quo in a Ultima Online (hopefully) free of cheating.
strongly disagree..... it's cheating, they know it, they know they risk their account... that 'an awful lot of people do it' doesn't cut it

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya, take the China approach. Put two up against the wall and shoot 'em. Make it very public. The rest will fall in line.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Oh, and I’m not certain if you noticed, but there are more people playing Ultima Online again every day. I know. I have our subscriber numbers on refresh. It makes me smile.
This make me so happy, yes I did believe we was increasing numbers again but hear it really is true is so cool.

For several years, I had hoped for miracles but every expansion made friends of mine give up UO. I posted sevel ideas for what help us back on right road but most of the devs/EA did not understand.

Miracles is possible, for first time in 11 years I think, we got more PvP land. We also got more quests more use for items, even crappy loot is useful now. We get cool events and new land where everyone, crafters, PvM'ers, PvP'ers and everyone else had been doing stuff.

For first time in several years, had I been playing for 20+ hours in a weekend.

On Siege, where we do have PK's hanging around, there had been so many places to hang out, and so many more players around, that the PK's had not been a problem as many of them too had been busy doing other thing than PKing.

Seeing UO get more players are the best Christmas gift I could get as it mean I will see old frinds rejoin UO and stay longer that one month.

Thanks

K

KoolAidAddict

14 years in AF here.
So, captain Cal, when you bring 'er back, land 'er gently, and it had better be a code 1 flight!!
I gots me a rep, ya know!!

PS....take yer own barf bag out, it AINT my job just cause I gots stripes and you gots metal......sir!
*snappy, sharp, knifehanded salute*

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tell the playerbase a bunch of crap they want to hear to distract them from the fact that the BEST people from the game, the ones who CARED THE MOST about where UO was going, have been laid off.
I think it was a business move to reassure the playerbase some of whom may be considering closing their accounts before the hammer falls.
So the best people who cared the most about UO have been laid off? Got any names there? I'm interested to learn more.

Are you sure that the hammer will fall for UO? Do you have any inside information?

Will you continue to play UO, or will you quit now, cause you've obviously been deceived?

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
“This is your captain speaking … we’ll be climbing to an altitude of 36,000 feet. Expect some turbulence on ascent. Once we reach cruising altitude, I’ll turn off the seat belt sign, and you’ll be permitted to move about the cabin … Due to FAA regulations smoking is not permitted … unless you’re sharing the good stuff with the rest of the crew. Thank you for flying Britannia Airlines”
What crew have we remaining, Cal_Mythic?

D

Duke SP

What i got from Calvin Crowner's letter is that they have to layoff over a hundred employees to fix speedhacking and 3rd party programs. Or he's lying thru his teeth trying to keep what few subscribers we have left so the rest don't jump off the boat too.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

What i got from Calvin Crowner's letter is that they have to layoff over a hundred employees to fix speedhacking and 3rd party programs. Or he's lying thru his teeth trying to keep what few subscribers we have left so the rest don't jump off the boat too.
Ummm.....every house on every shard is $12.99/month.

Think on that while your showing off your intelect.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
“This is your captain speaking … we’ll be climbing to an altitude of 36,000 feet. Expect some turbulence on ascent. Once we reach cruising altitude, I’ll turn off the seat belt sign, and you’ll be permitted to move about the cabin … Due to FAA regulations smoking is not permitted … unless you’re sharing the good stuff with the rest of the crew. Thank you for flying Britannia Airlines”
What crew have we remaining, Cal_Mythic?
Love you Nico!!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why was UO mentioned in the guinness book?
Back when KR came out, it was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as "the longest continuously running MMORPG in history". Unless one of the text MUDs still lingering on out there has filed a grievance, if was the longest then, it is presumably still the longest now.

Zooithion

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why was UO mentioned in the guinness book?
From wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online
Awards

Ultima Online's success resulted in Guinness World Records awarding the game 8 world records in the Guinness World Records: Gamer's Edition 2008. These records include "First MMORPG to Reach 100,000 Players", "Longest Running MMORPG", and "First and Only Person to Kill Lord British", which was done by a player named Rainz during a server reset which turned off his invulnerability.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I took this photo just over a month ago when I was visiting the teams at Mythic. These are all the awards that UO has won over the years.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Neat Nok! Should I ask which window office got the awards shelves?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
QFT, I especially love his hand picking of which posts to reply to...does EA still have to give us 60 days notice before they shut off the last remaining shard?