• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Calvin Crowner - UO Producer's Letter

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Why was UO mentioned in the guinness book?
From wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online
Awards

Ultima Online's success resulted in Guinness World Records awarding the game 8 world records in the Guinness World Records: Gamer's Edition 2008. These records include "First MMORPG to Reach 100,000 Players", "Longest Running MMORPG", and "First and Only Person to Kill Lord British", which was done by a player named Rainz during a server reset which turned off his invulnerability.
I was just looking at the Guinness World Records Gaming book tonight. Sad thing is, the published entry on UO contains two photos: one of Richard Garriott, one of Tim "Draconi" Cotten. :(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So I take it I'm not alone in feeling as though I should put on my hip waders?

I think it's getting awful deep.

At any rate I'll say a couple things on my mind...

1) Seems to me one way to "stop" most of the 3rd party programs and cheats... turn off the 2d client... permanently (Of course this would mean I'd no longer be able to play because not only can I not stomach the EC... it overheats my computer to run the thing causing it to shutdown.... NOT COOL at all.)

2) If they actually did find a way to stop cheating and the rampant use of 3rd party programs I think they may see a drastic rise not only in the number of folk willing to and wanting to return to Fel... but I think the subscription rate would increase from the 100's of players who left because they were tired of all the cheating and couldn't compete...

I know several who gave that as a reason for quitting. If they put the focus back on communities and working together... and they fixed the PvP... especially cheats... things would improve drastically.

I'll also say this... from things I've been hearing lately my interest is peaked and my hopes are going up... though I still have much doubt and a huge lack of confidence in much of what is said... I'm trying to be hopeful that this time things are really moving in the right direction...

*crosses fingers*

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Cal for confirming what many of us already suspected; the number of players playing UO has been going up for months now (even before SA), despite what the few detractors might claim on Stratics.

It is a shame that rest of EA is suffering but hopefully, tomorrow will be a brighter day.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Finally, as a former Air Force Officer and graduate of the United States Air Force Academy, I hope everyone found time to show their appreciation for those currently serving in our Armed Forces as we celebrated Veteran’s Day earlier this week. We here at Mythic make games. We don’t defend against all enemies foreign and domestic. We make a worlds where it’s possible to be the conquerors and almost king. Here we have a different battle for good and evil. As we’ve seen, life is all too real sometimes. Thanks for making us the place you care to escape."

Well said! :thumbup1:

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Viq,
Neat Nok! Should I ask which window office got the awards shelves?
Actually... Chrissay said, but I don't remember who's office it belonged to. Oh wait... might have been a meeting room.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Exactly how long did you sit there feeling realllllllllly stupid, after you typed that?
I don`t feel stupid at all. Its better than buying into some Uhall prophet spewing out some numbers trying to look smart. Last I knew houses can only be placed on a paid account,since temps can`t place houses. Some of the houses are owned by EA but the VAST majority are connected to paid accounts. YOU`d be stupid to believe otherwise.

Speaking of stupidity....
My hats off to all of those Non Cheaters. Once they get rid of all of the xxxxUO users, all 10 of you will have lots of room to run around and congratulate each other in.
Spoken like a true cheater. I`ll keep an eye on you and see if we come across a post proclaiming your innocence sometime in the future.rolleyes:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don`t feel stupid at all. Its better than buying into some Uhall prophet spewing out some numbers trying to look smart. Last I knew houses can only be placed on a paid account,since temps can`t place houses. Some of the houses are owned by EA but the VAST majority are connected to paid accounts. YOU`d be stupid to believe otherwise.

Speaking of stupidity....

Spoken like a true cheater. I`ll keep an eye on you and see if we come across a post proclaiming your innocence sometime in the future.rolleyes:
I don't play any more...hence the comment.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Captain Cal, on any flight, domestic & international, I am accustomed to hearing the flight crew name checked.

Are you any closer to offering us this courtesy or do we need to make do with roasted nuts?

C

canary

Captain Cal, on any flight, domestic & international, I am accustomed to hearing the flight crew name checked.

Are you any closer to offering us this courtesy or do we need to make do with roasted nuts?
Well they laid off 40% of their EAMythic workforce. Can't be a huge roster to sort through anyhow, at this point.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ugh.

Sorry, don't buy a word this guy says. After calling 80+% of the playerbase carebears, and saying that the throwing skill 'owned'... Yeah, no.

"Expect some turbulence on ascent."

Ascent. Right. The nearly annual gutting of the UO Dev team has led to a serious descent. Cal's smoke and mirrors post does nothing to address the myriad valid questions and issues Mythic's paying customers have with UO.

Mentioning that "engineering has been working on speedhacking and 3rd party program detection" is nothing more then a carrot meant to distract the masses. Again, sorry, but this had been done sooooo many times over there years that it has no credibility.

S

Splup

Ugh.

Sorry, don't buy a word this guy says. After calling 80+% of the playerbase carebears, and saying that the throwing skill 'owned'... Yeah, no.

"Expect some turbulence on ascent."

Ascent. Right. The nearly annual gutting of the UO Dev team has led to a serious descent. Cal's smoke and mirrors post does nothing to address the myriad valid questions and issues Mythic's paying customers have with UO.

Mentioning that "engineering has been working on speedhacking and 3rd party program detection" is nothing more then a carrot meant to distract the masses. Again, sorry, but this had been done sooooo many times over there years that it has no credibility.
Well, there's 1 throwing template that is actually doing serious damage. G dragon thrower gargoyle.

But yeah, that "working on fixing speedhack etc." really seems like them trying to distract people from the fact that Devteam that has done really good job lately is getting kicked out.

C

canary

Please, according to them they've been working on this the past HOW many years? I still haven't seen anything.

It's a dangled carrot, like others said.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But yeah, that "working on fixing speedhack etc." really seems like them trying to distract people from the fact that the Devteam that has done really good job lately is getting kicked out.
This.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now the qualifier: It's understandable that he'd want to distract us. It also could be a way to soften the blow rather than distract. "Yeah, this is bad, but we're still working on stuff, really!"

While I hope this qualifier is true, I'm still in agreement....So let me reiterate:

Yep.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now the qualifier: It's understandable that he'd want to distract us. It also could be a way to soften the blow rather than distract. "Yeah, this is bad, but we're still working on stuff, really!"

While I hope this qualifier is true, I'm still in agreement....So let me reiterate:

Yep.
I feel weird with all these qualifiers....I don't want to discourage him from communicating with us, but he really does to know that we're suspicious, and that our suspicion is rational and understandable.

S

StaticOnAtlantic

About time. Prices will go through the roof for awhile then stable out. HORDE YOUR ITEMS HORDE THEM!!!!!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The simple fact is that EA continues to show that it is a huge multinational behemoth that has lost touch with it's client base. All they see is the numbers, and fail to recognize that their clients, the ones paying the bills, hate seeing good people let go.

It isn't just about the product, it's about making your clients feel good about the product, and when your clients see you behaving like a cold blooded corporate assassin, they aren't likely to feel good about your product, no matter how good that product may be in other ways.

They've showed they've learnt some lessons in the past, and they treat their clients with a great deal more respect and kindness than they used to in the past, at least that is what I have seen. It's time they learnt some new lessons, and develop a way of operating that involves treating their employees as well, with kindness and respect.

No one likes a corporate thug in a $10,000 suit, and if there is a choice people tend not to purchase products from corporate thugs. And there are more and more choices available every day in the markets that cater to gamers.

Wake up EA!

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was playing Kesmai on CompuServe when it cost $20/hour with a 300baud modem and an Atari 8-bit. I'm with you ... never been hacked and common sense FTW.
Legends of Kesmai ftw! Air Warrior as well. Those were my first online games, remember fondly my grandfather being so pissed off when the compuserve and then AOL bills would come in each month.

I was hooked.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep.....EA really behaves in a spectacularly irrational way.

-Galen's player

The simple fact is that EA continues to show that it is a huge multinational behemoth that has lost touch with it's client base. All they see is the numbers, and fail to recognize that their clients, the ones paying the bills, hate seeing good people let go.

It isn't just about the product, it's about making your clients feel good about the product, and when your clients see you behaving like a cold blooded corporate assassin, they aren't likely to feel good about your product, no matter how good that product may be in other ways.

They've showed they've learnt some lessons in the past, and they treat their clients with a great deal more respect and kindness than they used to in the past, at least that is what I have seen. It's time they learnt some new lessons, and develope a way of operating that involves treating their employees as well, with kindness and respect.

No one likes a corporate thug in a $10,000 suit, and if there is a choice people tend not to purchase products from corporate thugs. And there are more and more choices available every day in the markets that cater to gamers.

Wake up EA!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I feel like I could explain this a bit better. I'm not saying that layoffs in the gaming industry are any better or any worse than they are in any industry, but there is a critical difference in the gaming industry, and specifically with regard to MMO's. With MMO's the clients develop personal relationships with the developers.

They will very often know who the developers are, and to a certain extent will be aware of the contributions each developer has made to the production of the MMO they play. They will very often have communicated directly with them through forums and blogs. The MMO industry is unlike most industries, the employees, and especially the developers, are not nameless and faceless.

When a company producing an MMO treats it's employees badly, and especially the developers, the clients will take it personally. In this case EA seriously needs to rethink the way it handles it's employees, and especially it's developers, because treating them the way they have treated them in the past, and more recently, probably has, and will, affect their bottom line.

Obviously we would all like to see every corporation treat it's employees with wisdom and kindness, but in the MMO industry, there are reasons beyond simple morality for doing so.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only plane in the "Britannia Airlines" fleet has just suffered a dual engine failure above the Atlantic Ocean. You are now gliding to a slow, painful death and there is nothing you can do.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Is this a rumour, or do you have something to back this up?

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a question, Llewen - a playful, poetic continuation of Cal_Mythic's own captain analogy, with a dollop of Good Will Hunting thrown in for good measure.

Nothing more than that.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It's a question, Llewen - a playful, poetic continuation of Cal_Mythic's own captain analogy, with a dollop of Good Will Hunting thrown in for good measure.

Nothing more than that.
*phew*
*looks up*
*no the sky isn't falling*

Thanks for clarifying that. :)

*considers sounding his barbaric YAWP*

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
But yeah, that "working on fixing speedhack etc." really seems like them trying to distract people from the fact that Devteam that has done really good job lately is getting kicked out.
A month later and it is looking, sadly, like this was the truth; more smoke and mirrors, and more empty words.

O

olduofan

A month later and it is looking, sadly, like this was the truth; more smoke and mirrors, and more empty words.

Did you really think it was anything more than that ? :pint:

O

olduofan

You would think after twelve years I would know better, wouldn't you? :)

Dont feel bad I still fall for there BS now and then...

Hope is after all not a good thing, as quoted here

"It means that you entertain illusions. It's a sort of spiritual clap, I should say"

And I have been hoping they would do a lot of things LOL :wall:

M

MoonglowMerchant

“This is your captain speaking … we’ll be climbing to an altitude of 36,000 feet. Expect some turbulence on ascent. Once we reach cruising altitude, I’ll turn off the seat belt sign, and you’ll be permitted to move about the cabin … Due to FAA regulations smoking is not permitted … unless you’re sharing the good stuff with the rest of the crew. Thank you for flying Britannia Airlines”

Twelve years and a Guinness Book record mention later, we are still here!

More...
Not sure what happened to all the discussion in this thread about how the "Speedhacking and 3rd party program detection" fixes they were working on were just another lie to keep people paying under false pretenses but here we are, only 10 months away from the next "Letter from the Producer", who knows who that will be?, and the evidence is mounting that EA is doing absolutely nothing other than cashing checks.

:(