• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Popping In To Say Hi

Galad

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This new client is a complete joke. Other mmo devs must be laughing their asses off.

S

Sabbath

This new client is a complete joke. Other mmo devs must be laughing their asses off.
You must be joking...this is Ultima Online for God's sake. Other MMO's aren't even looking at it because it's apples vs. oranges. But it's still the looooooong running MMO that most of us know and love.

You are welcome to not like the new client or certain aspects of it but it can't be a "complete" joke - a large part of it is based on the 2d client that I assume you still care for?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New client = Change.
As we know people are scared of change.
When people get scared they lash out in all directions.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I don't mind change, I do mind when that change is an effective "downgrade". I'm not going to ever question the professionalism or skill or ability of the UO graphics crew.

However I will as other people have as well question "why" they did such a downgrade in quality and keep up the requests that the SA client be made more "scalable" in terms of graphical options so that higher end systems are not relegated to 640x480 native graphic quality.

The quickest way I can see the client being scalable in such a manner is a toggle between KR and Legacy graphics (like KR has now, but reversed in Default). Maybe then down the road they can consider how they want to upgrade the Legacy artwork and put it in the client.

If I were afraid of change, I wouldn't have used the 3d or KR client and I'd be calling out for rulesets that aren't coming back.

I think there is a difference between the people who are scared and those who want to improve on what we have been given.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be pretty cool. Not very easy from a technical side, but cool. I have to say I'm with Supreeme on this, I think it would be great as an optional download, but I'm not sure about it coming with SA by default.

-Grimm
Actually, the optional download would be a great idea as well. Thinking of Fallout DLC. Ermmm...but free of course.

C

canary

New client = Change.
As we know people are scared of change.
When people get scared they lash out in all directions.
OK what some people fail to understand is that many WANT a new client.

I would PREFER to give up 2d for something more functional and, on a visual level, more engrossing, attractive and immersive. Something that is well designed and eye catching. Something appealing, graphics wise.

That client is not KR nor will it be SA.

H

Heartseeker

I don't mind change, I do mind when that change is an effective "downgrade". I'm not going to ever question the professionalism or skill or ability of the UO graphics crew.

However I will as other people have as well question "why" they did such a downgrade in quality and keep up the requests that the SA client be made more "scalable" in terms of graphical options so that higher end systems are not relegated to 640x480 native graphic quality.

The quickest way I can see the client being scalable in such a manner is a toggle between KR and Legacy graphics (like KR has now, but reversed in Default). Maybe then down the road they can consider how they want to upgrade the Legacy artwork and put it in the client.

If I were afraid of change, I wouldn't have used the 3d or KR client and I'd be calling out for rulesets that aren't coming back.

I think there is a difference between the people who are scared and those who want to improve on what we have been given.
Agreed.

On the positive side; this client is very stable right now.

Maybe if it stays this way we might get an option for high res graphics.

H

HillBilly

I would like for the graphics to be high res also. It would just look nicer.

But stability, performance and functionality should come first. Everything else is just aesthetics. Those are things that can be changed and/or corrected later on.

SA still plays and feels like UO to me. I have no major gripes about it thus far. And the things I dont feel are right I submit as bugs :p

U

UO Crazed

You must be joking...this is Ultima Online for God's sake. Other MMO's aren't even looking at it because it's apples vs. oranges. But it's still the looooooong running MMO that most of us know and love.

You are welcome to not like the new client or certain aspects of it but it can't be a "complete" joke - a large part of it is based on the 2d client that I assume you still care for?
I agree. WOW is jumping the shark just like EQ did. I knew when I saw books, toys and crap with EQ - they were done for. Now WOW is having a movie made about the world...lol. I knew when Mr. T was doing commercials that WOW would go the way EQ...borring with no risk!

But UO...with all it's querks...still plods along and is the game everyone eventually comes back too.

S

SUPRsalad

indeed.
so.. the client looks pretty awesome.. the backpack. looks wonderful. everything looks good, coming from a die-hard 2d pvp'er,
I guess i just have a couple of quick concerns:

someone said 'its 'posed to eliminate uoassist'. can someone explain that?
someone said, 'it doesn't work with uoautomap'. is that true? Automap
is pretty much nonnegotiable to the pvp community, as well as uoassist. I noticed some markings on that little circle map (which has always been almost useless) in screen shots earlier in this thread.. Has there been any thought about implementing some kind of working map system like uoam?
i.e. tracking players, etc.

Also, heh. not that the round map thingy in 2d hasn't done its job of adding to the 'nostalgia' of the early feeling of uo, but.. *ahem*.. I think its time it evolved to something practical? heheh, something square? something resizable? something with function would be awesome..

other than that, great job to everyone involved, and thank you.

edit: at least square.. i mean.. c'mon, when was the last time you bought a map that was round? there is a reason. .

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
someone said 'its 'posed to eliminate uoassist'. can someone explain that?
someone said, 'it doesn't work with uoautomap'. is that true?
1) The SA client is rebuilt from the ground up, and entirely different from just modifying the legacy client with patches and stuff. This means that any 3rd party programs like UOA/UOAM will not work with SA

2) Tugsoft has pretty much stopped developing new functions for UOA, I think he lost interest. If so, he may not develop an SA compatible version of UOA

3) What the devs did was integrating alot of the functions provided by UOA into the SA client. So 2D players with UOA can do the same thing with SA. While SA does indeed have alot of functions that UOA provided, there are still certain things that are missing, eg menu selection.

Automap is pretty much nonnegotiable to the pvp community, as well as uoassist. I noticed some markings on that little circle map (which has always been almost useless) in screen shots earlier in this thread.. Has there been any thought about implementing some kind of working map system like uoam?
i.e. tracking players, etc.
The built in radar now has automatic markers for NPCs (having wandering healers show up on your map is very useful), automatic marker for your corpse, markers for statics like towns/gates/shrines/dungeons etc. Though not all of UOAM's functions are available.

Also, heh. not that the round map thingy in 2d hasn't done its job of adding to the 'nostalgia' of the early feeling of uo, but.. *ahem*.. I think its time it evolved to something practical? heheh, something square? something resizable? something with function would be awesome..

other than that, great job to everyone involved, and thank you.

edit: at least square.. i mean.. c'mon, when was the last time you bought a map that was round? there is a reason. .
Captain Jack Sparrow will disagree, he has gotten his hands on a wonderful map that's round :D

Ohh, btw, the atlas (something like a world map, but can be zoomed until it functions like a big radar) is square, but although you can zoom, the gump is not resizable.

I agree with being able to resize the map/atlas. I have a spot in my SA desktop reserved for exactly that.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have a sticky on the beta forum with the most frequent requests. Resizeable atlas is on it, as are one or two of the features of assist that aren't currently possible in SA.

However the vast majority of uoa macros can be re-created in the SA client and some can even be done better. For example the 'dress' macro doesn't slowly put each piece on and stall if you try to do something else, it puts the whole lot on in one 'whump'. Nor are you restricted to full suits, or the number of them. You can set a macro to just replace your jewels and leave the rest of your suit alone.

Tamers and people who hunt in parties can set a bandage macro to heal a designated (stored) target. Bandages can be loaded in a hotbar and set to 'stored', where 'stored' is the pet or guildmate. You can set as many of these as you've got pets/guildies to heal. You'll get a count of the number of bandages and a timer when you use them.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, tho we all agree that the atlas is in dire need of resize-ability, and you cannot have a "log in server" with it (which is a major drawback, I am first to admit), it does currently have the ability to track PARTY members. Right now they have no names attached. That is bad obviously, but I think that might be something that could change.

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I must say I find the new SA alot easier for new players to get to grips with and runs very smooth. I have 3 things though that I would like changed.

The first has already been mentioned of items too small or too dark to be seen in bags etc.

The second is I take loads of pics and have been informed that there is a macro in SA for this, but why are the pics being stored in the much larger bitmap form, could these instead be stored in jpeg please.

Lastly at the moment I hate the journal. Once again like alot of things its too dark. Plus its hard to choose to read only one persons speech in a crowded area, as there speech colour no longer stands out. It also concerns me that with being able to have guild/party chat availible people might will miss someone speaking to them in party if they have genral choosen or visa versa. I am hoping its my ignorance in not comprehending how this works, but I would so prefer to be able to use the old journal style if possible.