• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] State of UO Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm one of the select few but I'd still like to not have to waste like 20 vet reward picks on stupid shields when I know that they'll eventually cave and I won't need the shields and will have wasted 20 picks knowing them

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't have a problem with any of the above as long as EVERYONE had access to it. The problems arise when only a select FEW have game changing additions.
Then the term you're looking for is something like "too advantageous," not "unbalancing." Economically they're very balancing.

me personally, I wish they would just put up a moongate-like portal that you could go through as often as you wish to go back and forth to any shard you want to (on second thought I don't want atlantic a**sholes raiding my spawns)

barring that it would be nice if you had a common bank box for each account that you could access across shards - put something in it on one shard and take it out on another

and since I know that would result in epic pancakes from people, as a last resort, I'd like the ability to shop vendors on other shards with this new vendor system - even if I had to pay extra
This would require a massive overhaul to existing item code to prevent duping and lost items. It isn't hard to code safeguards around normal maintenance schedules. As a safety buffer, I'd put it at ±60 minutes of a shard's scheduled time. But this still cannot account for any unexpected shard maintenance.

Moving an item to another shard is not as simple as moving an item on a shard, even from one container to another. It requires destroying the item's original information and recreating it: item ID, CC container and location, EC container and location (or facet and coordinates if not in a container). This is going to be a lot of server load -- a genuine higher use of CPU cycles, not just item count. There would have to be a limit per unit of time to prevent scripters from trying to break the system. I'd personally code it so that while an item should transfer a lot faster, it wouldn't be available on the destination shard for a full hour, after which time another item can be transferred. This way, any unplanned server maintenance would cause the transfer to abort, and the item would be recreated on the original shard. Always, always assume the worst intentions with any given user, that 1% who are looking for a "But I followed your rules!" excuse. Stress-testing and bug-hunting are things I've done more than a little of, and I've routinely discovered bugs that none of the formal developers conceived of, because they couldn't put themselves in the mindset of someone looking to game or outrightly circumvent a trading system.

Finally, you said you'd be willing to pay extra, but how much, and how many other players would? Transfer tokens are revenue generators, and EA would have to replace that revenue somehow. Lots of players won't want to pay more for a feature that they wouldn't want to use, or in the case of 14+ year vets, a feature they already have. How much extra would a player be willing to pay every month for enabled transfer? With an hour limit, that's 720 items per 30 days, a bit more than a $20 token, and you're talking about multiple directions, multiple shards. An additional $5 would be a tremendous value for players, and a possible revenue loss for EA, unless it somehow encourages a lot of players to sign up for it. Ten dollars would be more realistic, but then would there be enough interest? If the Dev team could devote resources to making this happen, it would have to be a pilot program whose price may increase, or it might be scrapped without enough interest.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO, MissEcho is pretty much on point here.
Some things should´ve never entered the game. Hopefully the devs will learn from past mistakes when making new vet rewards in the future.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing is this was never discussed in the video about Shields. Why is this still being debated in this thread?

Zog you Echo was already told to take it to PM's by Petra in this thread but you both keep talking about it and have others now derailing the whole video.

May I suggest make another thread and argue about it all you want and quit derailing this one please.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those Shard Shields should never have been added to the game. It's vet rewards but not give someone an ungodly advantage because they've played since the beginning. And yes I am nearly old enough to get my own shields, I still don't think they are right. Either the devs should make the shields available to everyone and make it so you can hop servers freely, or take the shields away, give each player back their vet reward picks and compensate them with 12 transfer tokens per shield [one per month per shield]

To those saying they balance the economy? Really? balance how? By leeching anything of value over to Atlantic and depriving smaller shards of high end items making players on those shards have to buy a token to Atlantic and back just so they can go shopping? Give me a freaking break.

These items should not have been added, but that still doesn't mean they can't correct them this far in, god knows they've nerfed and deleted lots of things over the years.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please take this debate to another thread!
I can't untangle the posts to move them, too many cover both the actual content of the video and this distracting side issue.
My only alternatives otherwise would be to thread ban the debators or lock the thread completely. Neither of which I want to have to do.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What more is there to discuss about the video? I don't see why its bad having a nice discussion in here.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What more is there to discuss about the video? I don't see why its bad having a nice discussion in here.
I'm accused of beating a dead horse, but I've far from initiated it. I suppose it'll be up to me to start a new thread. I even made eminently sensible criticisms and counter-proposals for what they want to do, which is not to do away with shard shields but make them more available (considering the second person who started this has no problem even with the vet rewards but that they are vet rewards).

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The thing is this was never discussed in the video about Shields. Why is this still being debated in this thread?

Zog you Echo was already told to take it to PM's by Petra in this thread but you both keep talking about it and have others now derailing the whole video.

May I suggest make another thread and argue about it all you want and quit derailing this one please.
Another person who needs to read.

I responded to a post made by Kojak, which did NOT mention the shields but a range of other things he wanted, I just agreed with his post on the condition that those things were available to everyone.

As for the other person, well what he does is out of my control. I did NOT bring the matter up again. So get your facts right if you intend to call me out as you did.

However, as for stating that shields weren't discussed in the video, VET REWARDS were definitely a topic for discussion, one of which a transfer shields happen to be. The devs specifically asked for input on vet rewards what we wanted etc etc and specifically ASKED for help with suggestions etc. Another poster here suggested a 2nd year partial transfer shield as one of these suggestions, other posters also put forth suggestions for other possible vet rewards. That is what prompted THIS discussion.

Either way I HAD ceased discussion of the topic when asked , and do not need YOU to act as forum police, especially if you have your facts incorrect.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry but I can read. Don't put the blame all onto Zog. Even after you said in one post you was basically done but you had to respond again. That is why YOBF kill a topic.

This vet reward topic on shields has been debated in many other threads before just like F2P, Pre-AOS threads and the boards QQ'ers get those threads locked.

When it came to vet rewards they were talking about input on new ideas.

I didn't call you out by the way. Petra asked both of you nicely to take it to PM's in another post. I just tried to remind you :)

Anyway... since you want to talk about VET REWARDS.........

I would like to suggest

1) Silver Steed mount (2yr reward)

2) A crystal ball of skill gain (you can gain 20 points max once a month). Anybody can use it if set by owner or personal use. (1st yr reward)

3) A sword stuck in a throne. (deco) (Gives a +2 Stamina regeneration for an hour and 3 hour cool down after use) (3yr award)

Personally it be cool if they would add a Silver Steed back in the game as a tameable.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
alright i quit UO 2 years ago because i hated what UO had become which was dumb and boring, the only way i would come back is if it was either free to play or if they created an official old school server that i would pay to play on in a second

now for an MMO that you have to pay for, this has to be the smallest team out of any game out there ! i mean games that are FTP probably have more members on their development teams... either drop the price or hire more people

also i dunno why no one has said this before but everyone on that panel with the exception of maybe one is 50+ years old, some look 60-70..... alright the internet didn't even exist till you were like in your 30s, people that develop video games should be in their 20s and 30s, hire younger people that can come up with better ideas, most old women just care about trammy garbage

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you need to be the richest account with rooms of gold coin to dive in. Or cannot find the joy in crafting or hunting those things that you desire. You may have RL issues also.

Things should of been left at "if I want to know another shard's biz." create a character there.

F2P is really P2W and human nature always bring those games to personal or general demise.

It is almost to the point I would welcome new area shards that are locked from transfers. No checks and only coin piles. Bartering is the way of the land for the uber pretties. The hidden lands in tram and fel nullifies all mods on gear and weapons except slayer property. 5% chance any 4/5 slot pets go wild after each "All Kill" command while in the hidden lands. More hidden land areas added to other lands. As long as the locked shards have growth and remain above a set population there will be a dedicated GM team that also hunt down and rids the shards of BS through policing. The current state of UO makes it a little more entertaining then Spider Solitaire or reruns of the second season of the Walking Dead.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
alright i quit UO 2 years ago because i hated what UO had become which was dumb and boring, the only way i would come back is if it was either free to play or if they created an official old school server that i would pay to play on in a second

now for an MMO that you have to pay for, this has to be the smallest team out of any game out there ! i mean games that are FTP probably have more members on their development teams... either drop the price or hire more people

also i dunno why no one has said this before but everyone on that panel with the exception of maybe one is 50+ years old, some look 60-70..... alright the internet didn't even exist till you were like in your 30s, people that develop video games should be in their 20s and 30s, hire younger people that can come up with better ideas, most old women just care about trammy garbage
I have a serious question: you are serious with your last paragraph?

We've been told time and time again that a "classic" or "old school" shard is not going to happen. The Devs are already busy enough maintaining the current set of code. They can't do another, and frankly, we're lucky UO has this team to have so many for a dwindling player population. Hiring more? Hiring younger?

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guy has a point, younger people could bring in a new set of ideas and passion. I hate the idea that a game such as UO which had such a element of PvP when first designed and marketed has become the modern day version of PC.

Factions: lets put our hands in this thing, twist them around for a week till it's near death, place it into a coma with the tail that we are going to bring it back to life like frankenstein and then sit around for two years while people leave. If I was on the board I'd have fired the lot.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The guy has a point, younger people could bring in a new set of ideas and passion.
I don't believe it's a given that younger people are automatically more passionate or more creative than older people. In fact, if being "younger" is deemed essential, I anticipate UO might well take the same path that so many other more recent games have taken.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While the team certainly has kept the heartbeat going I'm not 100% sold on the passion for adding new blood. Little I have seen since SA has really added freshness to the game or so I think. I'm not saying that youth is the answer, I'm middle aged like most of us, but a drive to make something happen would be good.

I'm a buisness man and I'm inclined to increase my personal revenue yearly where I can, it might not hurt for the game to review this same action.

T

Tazar

I am not sure we even need "different". The team has been handcuffed by EA for years and were only recently given some freedom under Broadsword. I'd give them a little time and see what they really can do when given the freedom to do it.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran

Miss Smoocher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when you do fix the missing tiles in deco mode could you please set the stairs up to have landings for L shaps stairs. or make it so we can remove the steps step by step so we can make our own landings.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You mean different people like.... you?

Ok, let's test your abilities.

Uriah Heep, where is our vendor search? Uriah Heep, when will you give us an old school shard? Uriah Heep, where are the horse carts? Uriah Heep, why do I never reach any GMs in game? Uriah Heep, can I... have your robe? I say there, I am desirous of travelling to Felucca. Canst thou help me, @Uriah Heep?

I wont be goaded into that argument. I cant answer all those questions, because I am not a dev, and dont claim to be, I am a store manager and a damned good one. And I will say, my company hired me because they wanted some new blood, a fresh perspective, and I made it work for us. And if you asked me when a product was going to be in stock, I didnt tell you we were having trouble stocking it because our delivery truck was so old no one knew how to work on it anymore. But again, I'm not a programmer, so what do I know. I'm not necessarily saying turn the crew over with new people, but perhaps they need to go on a two week vacation and not even read the boards or check email. Then come back, and meditate a bit, om om om, and tackle things anew.

And take it from there...

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO needs invasions t2a would be nice start set up invasion camps in t2a areas but away from the champ spawn areas in felucca.t2a is perfect for invasions only 2 towns and no housing.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Events like the Bain-ophidian war are awesome, out of the way of banks and towns. I made a couple of grand friends four years ago, and I'd sometimes find myself fighting alongside and healing/ressing people who I'd have been fighting in PvP. Strange bedfellows indeed.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I wont be goaded into that argument. I cant answer all those questions, because I am not a dev, and dont claim to be, I am a store manager and a damned good one. And I will say, my company hired me because they wanted some new blood, a fresh perspective, and I made it work for us. And if you asked me when a product was going to be in stock, I didnt tell you we were having trouble stocking it because our delivery truck was so old no one knew how to work on it anymore. But again, I'm not a programmer, so what do I know. I'm not necessarily saying turn the crew over with new people, but perhaps they need to go on a two week vacation and not even read the boards or check email. Then come back, and meditate a bit, om om om, and tackle things anew.

And take it from there...
I did not think you would take it seriously. I added a few of the most common questions that seem to be beating a dead horse. Questions that usually make any Stratics mod go angry. Just to make it clear they don't have an easy job.

mDySFuNkShuN

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Both. The argument in a number of threads is that the vet shard shields are imbalancing because they're supposedly "free." Riyanna mentioned someone who claims to have bought $2000 worth of transfers last year, which I flatly don't believe.
couldn't this person have purchased a 15 year account for less than 2k?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This thread is over a year old. The most recent dev video can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.