• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] State of UO Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, sounds like we have a lot of great stuff coming up in the future. Some sooner than expected too :D

I'm still giggling at the thought of shrinking dragons at events *cough* killer chickens *cough* Glad the pet colours mentioned go along with "tasteful" My retinas thank you in advance!

I'm really looking forward to the new tiger tameable pets, but please please can I suggest that whenever we do this pet revamp thing and new pets arrive - give us much more stable space to accommodate them. A warrior can store a lot of equipment and weaponry between their bank and home, yet the tamer who goes out and spends time selecting good pets, then more time training them is stuck with just 16 spaces. So you either turf out a pet that you spent many hours on, or you spend even more hours creating yet another new tamer character to hold another 16 pets. There are many fun and cool pets that just don't get used because everyone has their stables cramped up with the strongest pets. Especially if you tame pets to train and sell for example. Stable space just vanishes if you're actually trading pets.

The second thing I want to say is please, no more pets that can only be acquired for a short period of time unless they're like silly bunnies with no use in combat. A pet that fights needs to be spawning, so younger tamers can get their own and so we can replace one if the game eats it. It's a big thing for a tamer to tame their own pet rather than buy one, to have your rear char-grilled to perfection while convincing said beastie that you're a friend rather than a snack. The game isn't totally safe for pets, so if it's a pet we'll take time over and regularly fight with, please give us a permanent spawn and a bit of stability. I kinda cringe if I hear that a new special pet might arrive because I just don't want to tame a "rare" that gathers dust. Even if it's a hard to find spawn or you need to do some quest, that's fine. Just don't cut the spawn off entirely :)

[/hops off her tiger-striped soapbox and scarpers]

Wenchy

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
They answered my softball question about Counselors but ignored my question about addressing cheating. That was very disappointing.

It was nice that they talked about governors but I wish they'd addressed the voting issues as well. I also didn't hear anything about having players pay for their own buffs, just more "tools" for governors to encourage people to donate. I just don't see that happening anywhere but Atlantic or the odd place with a particularly wealthy player. Unless there is an individual incentive to donate, it's not going to happen!

On the other hand... can't wait for tigers! And colored pets!:mylittlepony:

(But I'm also concerned about a possible tamer nerf... seriously, please no. Don't ruin my main AGAIN.)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice. High res art can be expected soon! They got some algorithm to sharpen the art, which makes it possible to do it in a few weeks instead of a few years. (In the video from 9:31 to 11:04)

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But can you imagine how discouraging it must be to be a returning player who quit years ago, to come back, and realize he will have to play 8-10 years to get the upper level gifts.
Veteran rewards are always a good idea, as they help to keep your existing loyal playerbase loyal.

If your game is in such a condition that the first thing new players think is, "Look at the stuff I can't get because I haven't played this long," then either your veteran rewards are too powerful (they aren't in UO), or your game just plain sucks.

I readily agree some of them should be usable by everyone -- and to much extent, many of them are. But on the flip side, there should be some that simply are not obtainable by new players.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Veteran rewards are always a good idea, as they help to keep your existing loyal playerbase loyal.

If your game is in such a condition that the first thing new players think is, "Look at the stuff I can't get because I haven't played this long," then either your veteran rewards are too powerful (they aren't in UO), or your game just plain sucks.

I readily agree some of them should be usable by everyone -- and to much extent, many of them are. But on the flip side, there should be some that simply are not obtainable by new players.
Most vet rewards aren't too powerful, but shard shields are a COMPLETE game changer that have allowed a select minority of veteran players who hoarded their rewards and players with the disposable income for $40 round trips from the Origin store to have a huge economic advantage. Shard shields have seriously imbalanced the UO economy in a very unfair way.

Letting younger accounts use older rewards but not pick them was good. It made some of the higher end items at least attainable for younger accounts, and gave older vets a prayer of selling their picks if they wanted to. If they care at all about the economy they need to do something similar for shard shields. WAY overpowered.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really thought the relaxed, homelike atmosphere was exactly what a "hangout" should be... it was cool to see the UO team chillin..

My biggest take on the whole session? I think we should clone that guy Stephen several times... the technical crap seems like its the hardest stuff to me.. we really need 6 of him.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am going to be completely honest and say I felt Bonnie was entirely unprofessional in this broadcast. How many times did she laugh at honest questions from every day subscribers? Seriously? There's no need to scoff at a queston during a Q&A...and the best part is you openly admitted you hand selected each question. So did you purposely chose those questions to poke fun? I lost a lot of faith in the UO team yesterday...yes they are understaffed and overworked, but I didn't get the sense that any of them were passionate about their profession. IMO they have one of the coolest jobs in the world and the fact that they are acting the way they are makes me think 1) they have forgotten that, or, 2) they don't have the passion and drive they should have to help make this game great.

Like any good business you need to cater to your patrons and in this case the majority of subscribers are trammel based (which is great cause I have no desire to farm resources, items and artifacts!). BUT there are those of us who still enjoy to PVP and I am sure there are a lot more out there that would get hooked on it as well if Bonnie and her team actually took the time to figure out a way to create a better pvp system...Serisouly this Vice/Virtue thing makes me sick. How is it going to attract new players to the PVP world? It sounds like you are copying WoW and Elder Scrolls! If you are still planning on having the fight in designated area's and those area's are the only places to PVP it is going to fail. Factions was a great system until you guys went and messed it up. Why can't we fight in Trammel? Why can't we take the fight to other areas of the game? Champs spawns are slowing down a lot as well so there are not as many raids. I would be willing to bet the players that return to this game the most are from the PVP population because they miss it. It's all about client retention, right? Well you should follow what you have done to keep the trammel based population and find a way to mirror it into the fel/PVP based population. Why not work on Guild Wars? There is a system that at one point in time was amazingly fun! Rework this Vice/Virtue into a spin off of factions maybe? When I log in I want to PVP, if I have to wait for a fight to start at a certain time I will lose interest in this new system immediately.

Let's be honest; the reason behind Yew Gate fighting is that those people want to PVP at that exact time that they are playing. When I get home from work I hop in Vent and see if there is a raid/IDOC/field fight, when there isn't where do I head? Straight to Yew Gate so I can get my PVP in for the day. Is everyone like me? No...but I would say there are a decent amount of people in this game that have similar interests because I also see them at Yew Gate!

There are a lot of issues with this game that need fixing and attention. Wouldn't it be smart to focus on the issues that could increase the subscription base?? More money means more staffing, resources and marketing which would help fix the long list of bugs in this game and aid in developing new expansions which would bring more subscriptions...rinse and repeat???

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a lot of issues with this game that need fixing and attention. Wouldn't it be smart to focus on the issues that could increase the subscription base?? More money means more staffing, resources and marketing which would help fix the long list of bugs in this game and aid in developing new expansions which would bring more subscriptions...rinse and repeat???
Indeed.

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am going to be completely honest and say I felt Bonnie was entirely unprofessional in this broadcast. How many times did she laugh at honest questions from every day subscribers?
After watching the hangout yesterday, this was the one thing that really stuck with me as well. No matter how bad a question may be, belittling your paying customers is never an acceptable behavior. She could have easily given more politically correct answers without making it so blatantly obvious that she felt certain questions were stupid or out of line. Either that or improve the screening of questions and don't respond to those types of questions at all. How she comported herself really gave me the impression that she didn't want to be there and that doesn't paint a good picture for an already struggling game.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
-2nd Year-Partial Transfer Shield
Once every 3 months you can move 50 items to another server..(not a character)
So you'll select the shard and character on that shard and it send to the bankbox..
(bankbox must be able to hold the amount)
I like this !!

- 16year (Title Engraving tool)
A 32 Character title Engraved in Yellow under your name permanently (5 charges/ and 25m to recharge)
"Doesn't interfere with current titles"
Actually, in 2014 it will be the 17th Year Veteran Reward !!

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most vet rewards aren't too powerful, but shard shields are a COMPLETE game changer that have allowed a select minority of veteran players who hoarded their rewards and players with the disposable income for $40 round trips from the Origin store to have a huge economic advantage. Shard shields have seriously imbalanced the UO economy in a very unfair way.

Letting younger accounts use older rewards but not pick them was good. It made some of the higher end items at least attainable for younger accounts, and gave older vets a prayer of selling their picks if they wanted to. If they care at all about the economy they need to do something similar for shard shields. WAY overpowered.
As I've explained before, veterans paid dearly to get to where we can pick shard shields. It's not like we got them for free. A five-year account has cost barely a third of what a 14-year account has. The $ difference in costs could purchase enough transfer tokens for 27 round trips.

Shard shields have in fact balanced shard economies. They equalize supply and demand. Players with transfer tokens will go to shards where there's more money, just like sellers in real life will move to or transport items to areas where there is higher demand. A shard like Atlantic will actually have prices come down from the newly increased supply of an item, while low population shards will necessarily see a higher price (which can encourage sellers to stay there if prices go high enough). It's very basic economics that demonstrates Heckscher-Ohlin and Stolper-Samuelson very nicely. A vet reward transfer shield is simply one ultra-low-cost transportation cost -- and just once a month, remember -- for someone who's already invested heavily in the business. It's ludicrous to think that for all the money sunk, a long-term player shouldn't be thrown that bone, or that a relative newcomer should have anything like it.

As I put it previously:

If I can sell my widgets locally for no more than $5, but I could for $15 on the other side of the country, then for $5 per unit in transportation costs I might initially ask $14. The sellers on the other side of the country getting $15 then drop their price to compete, and it stabilizes at, say, $12. In my locality, people would have to start offering more to get my business. In the end it brings me more profit, profit is reduced for those who were charging more on the other side of the country, the lower price means a greater consumer surplus for buyers on the other side of the country, and buyers local to me have a reduced consumer surplus. All extremes are brought to the middle.​

I rather liked how Goldberg put it bluntly once:

What exactly is an economic imbalance and how exactly do shard shields cause it? So the UO economy was precisely balanced before shard shields but now is imbalanced? Lol at that.

A small group of very wealthy vet 'have nots' cant handle the idea that they cannot have every last thing in the game and all of a sudden they are all economy professors?

Do you realize how laughable that is?

15 and 16 year vets payed and supported UO for many years not knowing or caring if the game ended the next day and they were rewarded with a great item. Do the same or deal with it​

Of course, there's the person who claimed, "shard sheilds unbalnace the game, if you can't see that mYbe you need to go back to school and take some finace/economy type courses." That was supposed to convince me or something that the "person" knows what he's talking about.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why not work on Guild Wars? There is a system that at one point in time was amazingly fun!
This assertion can be used to describe what we are aiming for with regard to how Virtue and Vice will work out. You won't have to wait for a certain time for a battle to begin, it will be based on population. What I mean by that is, so long as there are a requisite number of opponents the matches will begin automatically and continue so long as the population requirement is met. You won't have to say, wait for a match to begin at 7pm. Not the case at all! Instead the system will monitor login/logoff activities and so long as two opposing guilds are online a match will start and continue with brief cooldowns in between. Matches will be objective based with short match timers - probably aiming around 20 minutes or until a score threshold is met, with about a 5 minute cooldown in between. Of course this is subject to change based on future play testing, but it gives you and idea of what we are aiming for in terms of flow.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
As I've explained before, veterans paid dearly to get to where we can pick shard shields. It's not like we got them for free. A five-year account has cost barely a third of what a 14-year account has. The $ difference in costs could purchase enough transfer tokens for 27 round trips.

Shard shields have in fact balanced shard economies. They equalize supply and demand. Players with transfer tokens will go to shards where there's more money, just like sellers in real life will move to or transport items to areas where there is higher demand. A shard like Atlantic will actually have prices come down from the newly increased supply of an item, while low population shards will necessarily see a higher price (which can encourage sellers to stay there if prices go high enough). It's very basic economics that demonstrates Heckscher-Ohlin and Stolper-Samuelson very nicely. A vet reward transfer shield is simply one ultra-low-cost transportation cost -- and just once a month, remember -- for someone who's already invested heavily in the business. It's ludicrous to think that for all the money sunk, a long-term player shouldn't be thrown that bone, or that a relative newcomer should have anything like it.

As I put it previously:

If I can sell my widgets locally for no more than $5, but I could for $15 on the other side of the country, then for $5 per unit in transportation costs I might initially ask $14. The sellers on the other side of the country getting $15 then drop their price to compete, and it stabilizes at, say, $12. In my locality, people would have to start offering more to get my business. In the end it brings me more profit, profit is reduced for those who were charging more on the other side of the country, the lower price means a greater consumer surplus for buyers on the other side of the country, and buyers local to me have a reduced consumer surplus. All extremes are brought to the middle.​

I rather liked how Goldberg put it bluntly once:

What exactly is an economic imbalance and how exactly do shard shields cause it? So the UO economy was precisely balanced before shard shields but now is imbalanced? Lol at that.

A small group of very wealthy vet 'have nots' cant handle the idea that they cannot have every last thing in the game and all of a sudden they are all economy professors?

Do you realize how laughable that is?

15 and 16 year vets payed and supported UO for many years not knowing or caring if the game ended the next day and they were rewarded with a great item. Do the same or deal with it​

Of course, there's the person who claimed, "shard sheilds unbalnace the game, if you can't see that mYbe you need to go back to school and take some finace/economy type courses." That was supposed to convince me or something that the "person" knows what he's talking about.
I never said it was balanced before shard shields. The economy in UO has been messed up for years. It will always be messed up. It is also not like a real economy (and that is a specious comparison--you can't go outside, kill a mongbat, and collect your $15). What I'm saying is that shard shields have turned all shards but Atlantic into gold farm ghettos, and that is a stupid way to run a game with multiple shards with long-standing communities and individual character on each one.

People consistently buying shields in the Origin store are putting way more money into the game than long-term veteran subscriptions. So why give vets shields at all? I know one guy who's probably put a couple thousand into shard shields in the past year. If monetary contribution and support to the game is the standard by which we judge player accounts then shouldn't he get a "vet" shield? He's put more money in than lots of vets who do have them by now.

And if they keep slapping down free-to-play, why have a micro-transaction item like a shard shield that gives such a big advantage? That's a free-to-play dynamic.

You don't have to be an economics expert. UO isn't a real world economy. I can go to Atlantic, I can go back to my home shard, and I can see the disparity. I can run my auction on my shard and I can attend auctions on shards other than Atlantic and watch great stuff get bought low and turn up on Atlantic for ten times the price the next day. There is little incentive to engage in high-end commerce on your home shard unless you live on Atlantic. That is a stupid way to run a game.

Once upon a time each shard had its own economy. Now we are all running on an Atlantic exchange rate, and not everyone can equally participate. We all pay the same monthly fee, but we aren't all playing the same game. Everyone talks about wanting to bring new and returning players back to UO, but this dynamic is a major deterrent because it's so hard to catch up. I don't know how you can visit any shard but Atlantic and claim that shard shields have "balanced" the economy. If having every shard but Atlantic function like a third-world sweatshop is balance, then clearly our definitions of "balance" are rather different.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Looks like I miss some stuff by not having a Facebook account. I had one (for a short time long ago) but deleted it after I started empathizing with hypothetical strangers wandering through other people's neighborhoods and staring into their picture windows.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am going to be completely honest and say I felt Bonnie was entirely unprofessional in this broadcast.
I think she did a great job being unprofessional in a unprofessional get together. :thumbup: this was from the devs her being the producer, and not a dev anymore. she didn't have to be a part of this or even speak. So thank you Mesanna for taking the time for us.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are still planning on having the fight in designated area's and those area's are the only places to PVP it is going to fail.
When the hell did they say that? They have been saying from the very beginning that those "designated area" fights will be in ADDITION to what we ALREADY have in Factions.

You will be orange to people, able to fight regardless of GZ just like now. Except now it sounds like instead of being limited to one of 4 sides in Factions, there will be endless amounts of teams as your "team" is now your guild. So a guild wont be able to avoid fighting you by being in your faction.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whilst EMs mostly do an impressive job and they are a HUGE asset to the game, let's just keep something in proportion - "75+" looks great, but since it's roughly 8 weeks since the Broadsword announced takeover, and there are 27 shards, some of us would say "75+" is falling a lot short of what we'd like to see... even if Counsellors work alongside the EMs once they are back, it strikes me that this side of things is in need of a lot more strengthening. ;)
The number Kyronix used is quite conservative IMO. As someone who attends every event in NA/Europa, there are events happening almost daily, if not more.
I'm not saying there should be no more epic scenarios. I'm saying that there's a place for non-epic scenarios too. Especially if you're going for shorter scenarios.
That is a job that I think EMs perform already. Let the Devs focus on fixing the game, and occasional big global arcs. EM's have had some amazing storylines big and small, that have provided an amazing amount of content for players on their respective shards.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vet Reward Idea: Sword Sheathe - Lets you put all your weapons into a container, and it doesnt spill them out into your main inventory when you die.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is a job that I think EMs perform already. Let the Devs focus on fixing the game, and occasional big global arcs. EM's have had some amazing storylines big and small, that have provided an amazing amount of content for players on their respective shards.
What I was referring to rather plainly was not something the EMs can do, or, for that matter, should do. My support for the EMs in general, and for Great Lakes' EMs in particular, has been so vocal that it's earned me the enmity of many. To imply I'm downgrading their contribution is, at best, disingenuous of you.

I'm talking about content that is persistent in-nature and is across shards. While EMs do sometimes appear to have content that's persistent, if quite temporary, it does not appear to be the norm. Nor should it be. They are, after all, Event Moderators. The first word, "Event," to my mind is quite critical, and the second nearly meaningless as they clearly create and execute, rather than moderate, events--which is how it should be. While they have had persistent but temporary content, it does not seem a good idea to depend upon them for it.

If you read the entirety of my post of earlier today you will perhaps see that I gave 2 examples, previous UO game-wide events, of what I'm talking about. While those events were active I could log in and participate in a story, whether there was a scheduled event that night or not. Other examples take place in our sister game, Dark Age of Camelot, where there seems to be some kind of content every few months, whether it's "the Picts are raiding" or "the gypsy caravan is back in town." (Or at least there was the last time I looked.)

"Fixing the game" typically is a euphemism for "do stuff I like and stuff I want." There is no broad consensus on what's broken in most instances. There is in some I suppose. And clearly bugs should be fixed, known balance issues should be worked on. But to imply that "fixing the game" should substitute for content? I argue this misses the point entirely. Bugs should be fixed but it's pretty rare to log in because they fixed a bug. Maybe the opposite, that people don't log in because of certain bugs. But that's not the same thing. Bug fixes are not a reason to log in.

-Galen's player

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no broad consensus on what's broken in most instances.
Reaaaaaaally?

Id rather the Dev team focus on the things said in the hangout thingy, let the EMs create constant new content for players in story and combat.

They need to concentrate the vast content IN THE GAME already, and make it WORTH going to. *New* does not mean better.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reaaaaaaally?
Yes actually.

For the benefit not of this poster but of anyone who might be new and might not understand what I'm talking about, here are some examples:

"The economy is broken because things are too expensive and are unaffordable for inexperienced players." "The economy is broken because stuff is too cheap and nothing is worth what it used to be." See there? Both sentiments routinely are expressed on these boards, are both expressed as issues in the game, and yet are mutually exclusive of one another.

From PvPers we hear things like this. "Mages are overpowered." "Warriors are overpowered." "Warriors are nerfed too much." "Mages are nerfed too much." "Pets are over-powered in PvP." "Pets are useless in PvP." See there? All of those sentiments routinely are expressed on these boards, and in Global Chat, are expressed as issues in the game, and yet many are mutually exclusive of one another.

"PvM is borked because I can't solo _____." "PvM is borked because it's too easy to solo ____." See there? Both sentiments routinely are expressed on these boards, are both expressed as issues in the game, and yet are mutually exclusive of one another.

Hopefully people get the idea.

Id rather the Dev team focus on the things said in the hangout thingy, let the EMs create constant new content for players in story and combat.
"Constant new content." Really. The EMs get enough grief from players as it is, let alone if they were responsible for "constant new content." I can't even imagine the grief. I'm actually surprised someone who claims to support them would suggest such a thing.

I wouldn't worry about new content hurting the market for EM event items, by the way. For better and worse that market will always be there, and I've benefited from it too, surely. To a sadly minor degree (despite some who've implied that that's the reason I support the EMs as vocally as I d0), but I have. Enough that I have no incentive to hurt it unless they want to get rid of the items entirely and focus solely on story (which I'd be 100% fine with).

[[Insert insulting and predictable reply here.]]

*shrugs* Oh well, I tried.

-Galen's player

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This assertion can be used to describe what we are aiming for with regard to how Virtue and Vice will work out. You won't have to wait for a certain time for a battle to begin, it will be based on population. What I mean by that is, so long as there are a requisite number of opponents the matches will begin automatically and continue so long as the population requirement is met. You won't have to say, wait for a match to begin at 7pm. Not the case at all! Instead the system will monitor login/logoff activities and so long as two opposing guilds are online a match will start and continue with brief cooldowns in between. Matches will be objective based with short match timers - probably aiming around 20 minutes or until a score threshold is met, with about a 5 minute cooldown in between. Of course this is subject to change based on future play testing, but it gives you and idea of what we are aiming for in terms of flow.
I like were you are going with this, I really do! Seems like you have a good foundation to work off of. Until there is further discussion or ideas released I will wait patiently. But right now I am hesitant to understand the point of short battle's unless something is to be won? With city buffs Blue's are able to stack mods and/or build suits off of them...Maybe you can give us Reds a shot at utilizing them as well?? huh? huh?:banana:

Faction Artifacts have also allowed myself and many others to build suits at a very reasonable price to pvp on multiple shards while remaining competitive with the locals. It would be nice to have something similar to this implemented in the new system.

One last thing; another focus I feel you should have is getting players whom are unfamiliar with PVP interested in it. Regardless of what people say we still have a fairly decent player base and it would be nice to show them another side of this game that many have grown to love. Yes there will be ego's, chest thumping and annoying Gen Chat commentary...Yes, even Griefing...but if we can get people engaged in this system it will work. Get them engaged and they will be hooked! Maybe Crafting Bonuses, or Items that can only be crafted by the guild during the victory period of say 24hrs? A special dungeon opens that only the selected guild can enter to farm specific resources for a new imbuing mod? Maybe this dungeon can have new artifacts to drop?

These are ideas that I have just come up with on the spot. I'm sure if you ran a poll or hosted some sort of "submit your ideas" contest you would be amazed at what people would come up with to help move this all forward!

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really did like the idea of random mini-spawns at the Virtue cities that are coded into the game on an RNG. That was a nice well thought of idea! It would certainly give the governor and the local RBG for a city something to do that they can have some weighted merit against.... I would even go as far as putting the town's stats for these mini-invasions to give the governors some visible goals to hit for their re-elections. I wish they would reconsider that!

I really do love that the Governor's will be in office for 6 months now. That gives them more time to establish a routine for themselves and see their goals come to fruition. And I hope the tools they mention given to Governors include more communication and fund raising effort.

~ Sue

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Constant new content." Really. The EMs get enough grief from players as it is, let alone if they were responsible for "constant new content." I can't even imagine the grief. I'm actually surprised someone who claims to support them would suggest such a thing. I wouldn't worry about new content hurting the market for EM event items, by the way.
Bennu has done an amazing job at giving the players of Atlantic consistent action and story. Bennu has provided better new "content" in UO for me than anything implemented by the Devs in the past 2 years. I also said NOTHING about event items, so I am not sure why you even bring that up.

Other EM's do the same thing as Bennu, and those who don't CAN do it.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Faction Artifacts have also allowed myself and many others to build suits at a very reasonable price to pvp on multiple shards while remaining competitive with the locals. It would be nice to have something similar to this implemented in the new system.
I get the feeling you didnt read the original V/V overview they had

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
*wonders if any Game Developer can explain to her why aquarium food would have individual differences*

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bennu has done an amazing job at giving the players of Atlantic consistent action and story. Bennu has provided better new "content" in UO for me than anything implemented by the Devs in the past 2 years. I also said NOTHING about event items, so I am not sure why you even bring that up.

And that's a question for me for next "UO Hangout" that comes around. Will we see an equality and balance across the shards when it comes to what EM's can and cannot do and the time they have to devote to the program?

EM Bennu, while admittedly does a great job on his shard, may not be adhering to the time limits that are set of him within the scope of his EM contract thus you are receiving above and beyond commitment from him because he has more time to give. While in other shards EM's may only have committed to the amount of time allotted to them within the scope of their contract and that's all they can afford to give for what they are paid, which isn't much. Those discrepancies need to be addressed. If in fact, for a shard to flourish, an EM needs to put (hypothetically here) 10 hours a week of their time in order to have the success that Atlantic sees, then the EM contract needs to be updated to reflect that. Then the current EM's need to weigh in if they can meet the new demand and if they cannot, they should step down. And this is not saying AT ALL that we do not appreciate what our EM's can currently give, but a balance must be sought out and met. All shards deserve to have equal treatment from their EM's, not one more than another.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Mesanna Vet rewards you asked I'll give you some idea's:

As always we all want a flying carpet! This would make an AWESOME new "ethy mount" ...... Imagine THAT as a Vet reward for you all who are going on 17 year vet!

We'd like a Gypsy wagon..... One that works like a land boat. Doesn't move but is only good for one week where you place it. But it ought to be able to be placed in some area's of towns... YES I said in towns.... So you can hold a fair... They should be a choice where you can choose like a Tailor's wagon, Smith wagon, Imbuer's wagon, etc... Should have crafting stations in it .... small soulforge, or a loom and spinning wheel... etc... should hold as much as a large Gargoyle Ship hold. But unlike ships and such if you redeed it it weighs 1 stone and can hold the stuff you won't be able to access it while it's in deed form though. Can't be placed near a champ spawn but could be placed outside a champ spawn area but in Fel.... you ought to be able to "scuttle" it with explosives or weapons and then take what's in it.. (Though I think you ought to need lockpicking to open it's chest)... Also should allow for the placement of ONE Vendor and ONE NPC like a Bartender or whatever. The level of RP these wagons would bring would be awesome. Imagine you decide your having a fair in Yew.... and it's a crafters fair.... so dozens of crafters come and put up their wagon in a designated area (first come first serve of course).... and they sell their wares..... This would be extremely awesome for holding a Rare's fest. But they can only remain where they are for one weeks time.... no longer. After that they must be moved. Afterall Gypsies aren't gypsies if they don't move. They ought to work like the ships and if you have a lighthouse it should go there if you forget them.

Want a way to send stuff from our bank box to our house.

And you said we can't have more storage.... but really need to be ways to reduce the amount of stuff we have. I'd like a Garden box. Something to put the 100's of plants into ... either that or make them stack.

How about a new bunch of robes? No one really needs or wants 3% physical resist. People LOVE the Conjurers Garb...... Why? Because it has usable stats on it. 2MR! Luck! How about robes for dexers with 5SSI on them? Something with 5LMC or 5DCI ..... would be nice. Same with cloaks.... How about we choose the color and then get a choice of what it has on it?

I love my Navrey Statue. Could think about that, I'm sure there are more things out there that we could have a statue of.

We can make Statues of Ourselves what about a Painting? I for one would LOVE a painting of some of my characters!

What about a painting of Lord Blackthorn?!?!? Lady Dawn!?!?! Queen Zhah?!?!

What about my missing snowglobe for Despise? Why has there never been a snowglobe for Despise?

Now that we have awesome Portal Globes that take you to cities and Dungeons...... What about a one that you can put runes into like a runebook that goes to say 8 or 12 places that YOU want. Something you can make public so folk can just come up and port to one of 12 locations you set.

How about an embroidery tool that would let us embroider things on cloth? We have an armor and weapon engraving tool.... what about cloth?

How about a Reg Bag for mages/mystics that is "blessed" and holds say 50 of each reg and has lower reagent cost and weight reduction on it like a quiver would... and maybe it could have 5SDI. Equips in the slot like a crimmy or the ninja belt.... but holds only regs...... this would include necro and mystic regs.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EM content isn't "constant" in the same way as a dungeon is, it's not there 24/7 to be enjoyed by anyone. EM content is usually only available during say a two hour span per week, per shard. If you aren't there at the time said content is being presented, they're SOL. And no, jumping to another shard to partake of their two hours isn't a desirable option for most people. Personally, I'm not really interested in getting involved in another shard's history. EM content is rightly called an event, as it has a defined "end" shortly after it starts.

@Kyronix The EMs have told the governors multiple times that they can't spawn mobs for player events. Not they won't, but that they can't. People want a periodic "invasion event" because they enjoy it, and frankly, in a medieval world full of nasty critters it makes sense. People have complained about past invasion because placement of mob spawn has been poor, i.e. you shouldn't spawn anything near the banks, city stones, or newb spawn spots. Also, the mobs tend to be on the wastefully overpowered side of things (If they all move with paragon speed and can one-hit kill a modernly kitted character, they are overboard). The one good aspect of the last invasion story was that the invasions weren't constant, thus people could take logical breaks.

The governors would love the chance to randomly initiate a small invasion of their city. It gives people something to do, would be good for RP events and plot lines, and could even be used to funnel gold into the city's coffers. We shouldn't have to go to the EMs for everything either, as that just eats up time that we could all be having fun.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
When the hell did they say that? They have been saying from the very beginning that those "designated area" fights will be in ADDITION to what we ALREADY have in Factions.

You will be orange to people, able to fight regardless of GZ just like now. Except now it sounds like instead of being limited to one of 4 sides in Factions, there will be endless amounts of teams as your "team" is now your guild. So a guild wont be able to avoid fighting you by being in your faction.
We are looking at providing a solution to this by centering battles in a mirrored area of the shrine....something along the lines of you go to a shrine, then head to the battleground area. This allows us to both deal with housing in the area that could complicate things, as well as provide different areas for battle with varying landscapes and other natural features...which of course makes for a more fun fighting experience.

Thanks for the feedback!
http://stratics.com/community/threads/in-concept-virtue-vs-vice.301505/page-5

You sure you want to claim I didn't read the original thread?? No where in that thread does it state that you will remain hostile with an opposing team/guild after the fight ends...

Here's an idea...Why don't you contribute to the discussion rather than fill it will all of your negativity????

:facepalm:

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes...im the one being negative.

And what you quoted doesn't even apply to the discussion. Of course the actual main "fights" are gated off to only those in the system. Just like fighting for the Sigs in Factions, you are gated off into faction bases only people in the system can enter.

They made it seem quite clear that the basic functions of factions would carry over, such as faction arties, system related mounts like faction horses, the vendors, and the basic functionality of being "orange" to others.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Players should not be given the ability to spawn monsters. It is just asking for abuse.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
The Idea that shard shields unbalanced the economy is silly.

There are many vets with shard shields who post regularly offering free rides to anyone who is interested in moving items from one shard to another. All you have to do is keep your eye out for a ride if you do not have one. The point is really mute and I would rather think they are a great addition that has helped to build trust in the community over the last few years and bettered our community.

Even if you do not see a post for a free ride you can always post requesting one and someone will pop up to help you.

That actually saves you some $$ since you would not have to buy an xfer token from the origin store to just get your items around.

I would consider the vast majority of the people with these Veteran aged accounts old enough to earn a transfer shield as person who was actually engaged in community and would look for ways to benefit their community with their shard shields.

I say Wise choice and well done Dev's

If you feel that you can not trust "Anyone" in the game then I would say you need to check your personal play style. There are to many different ways to check reputations in the community.

In regards to buying low on one shard and selling for more on another. Well that is world economy. If someones play style is a merchant and they want to play it. Then so be it.

I think the perception that everything costs ten times more on Atlantic is false aside from housing. Housing is a factor of Supply and demand.

I regularly find items on other shards that run more than they do on Atlantic. In fact I know many people who shop on Atlantic and take Items home for sale.

*Turns with a flip of his cloak while glancing back towards you and heads back down the Path Less Traveled*

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The EMs have provided the Only worthwhile content in the game since SA expansion. and now that expansion is also old and generally useless. Live entertainment. New and interesting storylines and fights that dont have time to get stale because their only there for an hour or so. Plus worthwhile rewards. A plethora of reasons to go. None of the in game "content" has anything close to the incentives the EM program provides on a daily basis. Look at every expansion or mini-pack we have had since SA. 99percent had fun with them for about 3 weeks, never to return. We continue to get the arties from the 1% who farm the arties for one reason or another. SA went strong for over a year id say. which is pretty remarkable, but currently the EM content is what keeps the game fresh for most. I cant see myself waiting around, paying every month, for some crap boss with crap loot ill kill 3 times and be done with.

I'm not saying UO doesnt need new content, every game does.
Lets compare it to WoW (just because its a popular game that alot of people are familiar with)
WoW stays alive because of consistent, challenging new content that keeps people playing. suplimented with a steady pvp system.
New content in WoW keeps people occupied on average 2 - 4 months id say. That content surmounts anything UO traditionally provides content wise in both quantity and difficulty.

So new static content in UO, at the level of difficulty and complexity vr reward that UO traditionally provides can be expected to keep players occupied 1 - 4 weeks on average.

If static content alone were the basis of UO, we would need it about every month, maybe 6 weeks to keep people playing id say.

However, the excellent EM program provides something in UO that other games totally lack, so the new content can be put out on a much more lax basis than other games.

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*sighs* You have shifted your argument, but I'm not sure people realize it. Oh well.

"Consistent" and "persistent" do not mean the same thing in this context. Really that's pretty clear. And it's also pretty clear that I am not talking about content that the EMs likely could do -- or that it'd be appropriate to ask them to if they could.

I have been clear, I have provided examples. *shrugs*

-Galen's player

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never said it was balanced before shard shields. The economy in UO has been messed up for years. It will always be messed up. It is also not like a real economy (and that is a specious comparison--you can't go outside, kill a mongbat, and collect your $15). What I'm saying is that shard shields have turned all shards but Atlantic into gold farm ghettos, and that is a stupid way to run a game with multiple shards with long-standing communities and individual character on each one.

People consistently buying shields in the Origin store are putting way more money into the game than long-term veteran subscriptions. So why give vets shields at all? I know one guy who's probably put a couple thousand into shard shields in the past year. If monetary contribution and support to the game is the standard by which we judge player accounts then shouldn't he get a "vet" shield? He's put more money in than lots of vets who do have them by now.

And if they keep slapping down free-to-play, why have a micro-transaction item like a shard shield that gives such a big advantage? That's a free-to-play dynamic.

You don't have to be an economics expert. UO isn't a real world economy. I can go to Atlantic, I can go back to my home shard, and I can see the disparity. I can run my auction on my shard and I can attend auctions on shards other than Atlantic and watch great stuff get bought low and turn up on Atlantic for ten times the price the next day. There is little incentive to engage in high-end commerce on your home shard unless you live on Atlantic. That is a stupid way to run a game.

Once upon a time each shard had its own economy. Now we are all running on an Atlantic exchange rate, and not everyone can equally participate. We all pay the same monthly fee, but we aren't all playing the same game. Everyone talks about wanting to bring new and returning players back to UO, but this dynamic is a major deterrent because it's so hard to catch up. I don't know how you can visit any shard but Atlantic and claim that shard shields have "balanced" the economy. If having every shard but Atlantic function like a third-world sweatshop is balance, then clearly our definitions of "balance" are rather different.
Totally AGREE.

The result of shard shields is people ship all their goods, high end scrolls, items etc to Atlantic where there is a much larger market for them and where they can rook the players for larger sums of money. Local shards now have NOTHING for sale. I should not have to put my trust or have to rely on people I don't know to 'shift' stuff to atlantic for me just to get the same economic advantage.

Prior to shard shields when people had to 'pay' to shift stuff, it was done, but no way near the amount now, not to the extent that as someone else put it, smaller shards are now total 'sweatshops' for atlantic.

if you want to see exactly how this effects, next time you use one of those site to find something you want to buy, do the same search on Oceania and see what you get.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Players should not be given the ability to spawn monsters. It is just asking for abuse.
Within well-defined, hard-coded boundaries set by devs, done by the governors (since there are only 9 per shard), no not really.

We can already spawn a few mobs that tend to get used for events, those who abuse the ability (like spawning a harbringer to grief) are in the extreme minority.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Totally AGREE.

The result of shard shields is people ship all their goods, high end scrolls, items etc to Atlantic where there is a much larger market for them and where they can rook the players for larger sums of money. Local shards now have NOTHING for sale. I should not have to put my trust or have to rely on people I don't know to 'shift' stuff to atlantic for me just to get the same economic advantage.

Prior to shard shields when people had to 'pay' to shift stuff, it was done, but no way near the amount now, not to the extent that as someone else put it, smaller shards are now total 'sweatshops' for atlantic.

if you want to see exactly how this effects, next time you use one of those site to find something you want to buy, do the same search on Oceania and see what you get.
Hello Miss Echo,

I have a lot of old friends on Oceania, You I have know for awhile now.

There is a solid community there of very helpful players. There are always more or less over time however I have never found Oceania lacking in people that are willing to help you earn what you are looking for or willing to sell something you are looking for.

Whether it was prior to shard shields or after.

I guess it comes down to immediate gratification or a play style to earn something.

In my experience all you have to do to find the item you are looking for is ask for help from the community in either finding it, buying it, or earning it.

Engaging in community is what this is all about to accomplish your goals, not a third party site that does not provide you with all the items in the game which sit on a vendor for sale.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In my opinion, shard shields are awesome. They assist in stimulating the economy of lower populations shards.

Remember the days of seeing a crimson for 10 mill on a random dead shard for months? That doesn't happen anymore, because someone will go pick it up. This promotes lower shards in to being able to up their prices slightly, to match the main population shards, AND it helps them sell items that they would otherwise sit on for months.

How is that a bad thing?? All it does is force the larger shards to think about seeing what is available on lower population shards, and not be so greedy with their asking prices.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never said it was balanced before shard shields. The economy in UO has been messed up for years. It will always be messed up. It is also not like a real economy (and that is a specious comparison--you can't go outside, kill a mongbat, and collect your $15).
Even if a shard economy is not balanced, to say that shard shields are "unbalancing" is to assert that they make a shard less balanced than before, which I have pointed out is not true.

UO is like a real economy in the only sense that matters: people desire, produce and consume. No, we don't go out and kill mongbats, but we trade with other people. We find lower-cost ways of mutual exchange with people farther and farther away if we think we can make a better profit.

So my comparison is hardly "specious," and I caution you to take a little more polite tone unless your intent is to make this thread degenerate.

What I'm saying is that shard shields have turned all shards but Atlantic into gold farm ghettos, and that is a stupid way to run a game with multiple shards with long-standing communities and individual character on each one.
And what's wrong with that? People can do what they like in the game without having to compete with others for the same dungeon or spawn. If someone wants to farm resources, that's how he gets to play the game, and you nor I have any standing to judge that. Every so often, a guild comes to Sonoma to brag that they've taken over the spawns. I sit back and laugh, because it's not like anyone had been working it anyway.

I won't even get into your absurd insult that my home, and others' homes, are "ghettos" just because they're quiet and people come here to play. I like that others come. Were it not for relatively easy transfers, we might have had forced shard mergers by now, impacting those who didn't want to give up their long-time homes.

For years I've heard excuses similar to "long-standing communities and individual character" from the zoning boards of smaller towns and villages, whose small-minded politicians don't want to enter the 21st century. They don't want to let residents live peacefully as they would, in this myopic belief they can preserve what they think is the best stage of the town's history. Times change, towns and cities change, and any shard's "communities" and "character" have long since changed many times. Not only is Sonoma completely different after 16½ years, it's completely different in just the last few years.

Was it a loss of "individual character" when certain Appalachian towns turned from farming to coal, Pittsburgh turned from a small village into an industrial giant, or lower Manhattan farms (and swamps) disappeared in favor of commercial buildings? You lament "loss of character," but I point out that it happened because people wanted something different. The same applies to any UO shard. I laugh at the occasional cries to preserve this or that building, because it's not like most current players on that shard would have any idea of the history, or would care.

There have been recent articles about the death of Little Italy, but the writers ignore that it had already been happening since before Joe Gallo was done in. It's been 30 years since I saw the house my dad grew up in, and it's now gone. That's life, both in the real world and UO. People move in, people move out, businesses close for whatever reason, a new shop opens. How many RP establishments and towns have you seen come and go? How many names can you remember not having seen in 10 or more years?

I have a hard time believing they spend anywhere close, or that that guy spent anything like that. Do you realize how many transfers those are? That's a round trip every week. No, I don't believe it for a second.

And then there I am, needing two vet rewards to get one trip every month, for having sunk many more hundreds into my oldest accounts than the typical player. That's actually far from "unbalancing" when any old player can do the same without having to wait as I do for a "free" transfer, or pay . So perhaps you shouldn't have brought up this point...

As Storm, I and others have pointed out, it's the money, and also that people stuck with the game when it needed us the most. That seems to be why UO hasn't set up a multi-year pre-pay system to get vet status, which I have supported

Because UO's business model is to sell such items as a complement to UO's subscriptions, not as the basis of most revenue. I much prefer the status quo, because I can buy forged tools, upgrade an account as I need, without having to stop every night to pay for this or that. I've played more than a few F2P games, and none could hold my interest for more than a few months. Every F2P game I've tried was about pure level play: go here, go there when you're stronger, pay a little more for more money to get armor, buy this on the special weekend sale, and so on.

There are far more elements of a "real" economy in UO that you and others don't realize. Considering all the bad economics that UHall routinely sees, I'm thankful it was my field of study so that I can expose the fallacies that crop up now and then.

What is your example of "ten times the price the next day"? How often does it happen? Are you talking about one rare item that a duper on Atlantic will pay as much as he can make? Do you realize that if it's a legitimate Atlantic player who will pay 50 million for something versus someone's 5 million on a "ghetto" shard, then that's his right? I would be happy for him that he got what he wanted. You should be too.

From what I and others have pointed out, Atlantic prices are hardly that much higher. A quick use of a certain "illegal" site, just now, shows that the most common price for PoF on Atlantic is not much higher than on Legends. There are 120 swords scrolls that are cheaper on Atlantic than on Sonoma. What is your explanation? I have mine.

Of course "we aren't all playing the same game," because that's the beauty of UO. We all have our different playstyle. Someone might get his fun by going to a quiet shard, getting a bunch of resources to sell back "home." Who are you, who is anyone else, to tell him that isn't proper? Do you think the Devs that instituted shard transfer didn't think about cross-shard trade?

Shard transfers have little, if anything, to do with attracting returning players. It's content and game graphics, not resources. And what is your nonsense about "a third-world sweatshop" anywhere but Atlantic? Is that really your view of the game?

Once upon a time, a New York neighborhood had its own economy. Then it became a borough had its own economy, the city had its own economy, the lower part of the state had its own economy, and so on. Trade is good, and it's better when people can do it regardless of distance. I already laid out how things are equalized -- "balanced" -- between shards. Shall I repeat myself?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Totally AGREE.

It is the fault of local buyers for not offering enough that the seller doesn't go elsewhere. Why should someone sell a high-demand item on a low-population shard for hardly anything when he can get more elsewhere? Why should a dairy farmer be a milkman for a few streets when he can sell a lot more milk across a large metro area at higher prices? That's trade.

A florist once left a comment on something public I wrote a number of years ago. As one of my regular discourses on the economics of modern life, I mentioned the ease of buying flowers online to surprise an ex co-worker at our old office on her birthday. Perhaps I could have saved a few more dollars, but the base price and delivery charge were quite good, and I didn't want to spend more time hunting for a competitor that might be only a few bucks cheaper. In other words, the search costs were too high relative to potential savings. The florist claimed he could have gotten me a better deal, then blamed me for not looking more. Oh, then where was his advertising? How was I supposed to know his business even existed? On the other hand, I had gone with a major website that might have cost me $10 more, but it was worth it as a matter of reputation, ease of ordering, and search costs. So while this florist tried to blame me, it was in fact his fault for not seeking out more customers. The same applies to buyers on a quiet shard for bidding better.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In my opinion, shard shields are awesome. They assist in stimulating the economy of lower populations shards.

Remember the days of seeing a crimson for 10 mill on a random dead shard for months? That doesn't happen anymore, because someone will go pick it up. This promotes lower shards in to being able to up their prices slightly, to match the main population shards, AND it helps them sell items that they would otherwise sit on for months.

How is that a bad thing?? All it does is force the larger shards to think about seeing what is available on lower population shards, and not be so greedy with their asking prices.
Indeed, there is never anything wrong with any mutual exchange, across any distance between a willing buyer and willing seller. The real imbalance is when someone is stuck on a dead shard and can't sell something, not when someone transports an item to another shard to satisfy better demand. Some "historian" guy points out that there is in fact "balancing," because prices on lower-pop shards will go up (if locals want to compete in buying an item), and prices on higher-pop shards will come down from increased supply...

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Even if a shard economy is not balanced, to say that shard shields are "unbalancing" is to assert that they make a shard less balanced than before, which I have pointed out is not true.

UO is like a real economy in the only sense that matters: people desire, produce and consume. No, we don't go out and kill mongbats, but we trade with other people. We find lower-cost ways of mutual exchange with people farther and farther away if we think we can make a better profit.

So my comparison is hardly "specious," and I caution you to take a little more polite tone unless your intent is to make this thread degenerate.

And what's wrong with that? People can do what they like in the game without having to compete with others for the same dungeon or spawn. If someone wants to farm resources, that's how he gets to play the game, and you nor I have any standing to judge that. Every so often, a guild comes to Sonoma to brag that they've taken over the spawns. I sit back and laugh, because it's not like anyone had been working it anyway.

I won't even get into your absurd insult that my home, and others' homes, are "ghettos" just because they're quiet and people come here to play. I like that others come. Were it not for relatively easy transfers, we might have had forced shard mergers by now, impacting those who didn't want to give up their long-time homes.

For years I've heard excuses similar to "long-standing communities and individual character" from the zoning boards of smaller towns and villages, whose small-minded politicians don't want to enter the 21st century. They don't want to let residents live peacefully as they would, in this myopic belief they can preserve what they think is the best stage of the town's history. Times change, towns and cities change, and any shard's "communities" and "character" have long since changed many times. Not only is Sonoma completely different after 16½ years, it's completely different in just the last few years.

Was it a loss of "individual character" when certain Appalachian towns turned from farming to coal, Pittsburgh turned from a small village into an industrial giant, or lower Manhattan farms (and swamps) disappeared in favor of commercial buildings? You lament "loss of character," but I point out that it happened because people wanted something different. The same applies to any UO shard. I laugh at the occasional cries to preserve this or that building, because it's not like most current players on that shard would have any idea of the history, or would care.

There have been recent articles about the death of Little Italy, but the writers ignore that it had already been happening since before Joe Gallo was done in. It's been 30 years since I saw the house my dad grew up in, and it's now gone. That's life, both in the real world and UO. People move in, people move out, businesses close for whatever reason, a new shop opens. How many RP establishments and towns have you seen come and go? How many names can you remember not having seen in 10 or more years?

I have a hard time believing they spend anywhere close, or that that guy spent anything like that. Do you realize how many transfers those are? That's a round trip every week. No, I don't believe it for a second.

And then there I am, needing two vet rewards to get one trip every month, for having sunk many more hundreds into my oldest accounts than the typical player. That's actually far from "unbalancing" when any old player can do the same without having to wait as I do for a "free" transfer, or pay . So perhaps you shouldn't have brought up this point...

As Storm, I and others have pointed out, it's the money, and also that people stuck with the game when it needed us the most. That seems to be why UO hasn't set up a multi-year pre-pay system to get vet status, which I have supported

Because UO's business model is to sell such items as a complement to UO's subscriptions, not as the basis of most revenue. I much prefer the status quo, because I can buy forged tools, upgrade an account as I need, without having to stop every night to pay for this or that. I've played more than a few F2P games, and none could hold my interest for more than a few months. Every F2P game I've tried was about pure level play: go here, go there when you're stronger, pay a little more for more money to get armor, buy this on the special weekend sale, and so on.

There are far more elements of a "real" economy in UO that you and others don't realize. Considering all the bad economics that UHall routinely sees, I'm thankful it was my field of study so that I can expose the fallacies that crop up now and then.

What is your example of "ten times the price the next day"? How often does it happen? Are you talking about one rare item that a duper on Atlantic will pay as much as he can make? Do you realize that if it's a legitimate Atlantic player who will pay 50 million for something versus someone's 5 million on a "ghetto" shard, then that's his right? I would be happy for him that he got what he wanted. You should be too.

From what I and others have pointed out, Atlantic prices are hardly that much higher. A quick use of a certain "illegal" site, just now, shows that the most common price for PoF on Atlantic is not much higher than on Legends. There are 120 swords scrolls that are cheaper on Atlantic than on Sonoma. What is your explanation? I have mine.

Of course "we aren't all playing the same game," because that's the beauty of UO. We all have our different playstyle. Someone might get his fun by going to a quiet shard, getting a bunch of resources to sell back "home." Who are you, who is anyone else, to tell him that isn't proper? Do you think the Devs that instituted shard transfer didn't think about cross-shard trade?

Shard transfers have little, if anything, to do with attracting returning players. It's content and game graphics, not resources. And what is your nonsense about "a third-world sweatshop" anywhere but Atlantic? Is that really your view of the game?

Once upon a time, a New York neighborhood had its own economy. Then it became a borough had its own economy, the city had its own economy, the lower part of the state had its own economy, and so on. Trade is good, and it's better when people can do it regardless of distance. I already laid out how things are equalized -- "balanced" -- between shards. Shall I repeat myself?
A couple of clarifications:

The crux of my argument is that the imbalance comes from the inability of everyone to participate equally, not the very existence of the shields. I don't object to them existing and being used as people please, just the way they are distributed. The ability to use something that affects the game so much should not be artificially limited to those with more RL cash or who happen to have never cancelled an account in 14+ years (and happened to have started that long ago).

Prices on Atlantic are often lower for basic items and higher for mid- to high-ends and rares, therefore making necessities cost more and high-ends sell for less on less populated shards. If we're going to use real life as a model, for a somewhat distasteful example, that's like first world countries buying nice stuff dirt cheap from people in countries that have trouble affording basic food, water, and shelter where they live, then reselling it at home at huge mark-ups. It's exploitative of a less advantaged population that lacks equal mobility. Just because something works a certain way in real life doesn't make it good or ideal.

The "ghetto" shard comment is not meant as an insult, just a shorthand description of what I just described. I live on one of the lesser populated shards myself. It's always been my UO home and will be till the day they shut the server down. In fact as I mentioned, I run an auction there, which I think gives me some insight into how the less populated shards are affected by all this.

Yes, the guy I mentioned has bought tons of shard shields. He jumps on just about all the shards, not just his home shard and Atlantic. I would not and indeed could not spend that kind of money on a game personally, but some can and do. I'm not sure why you find this difficult to believe when it is well known that there are people who pay for 20+ accounts per month.

And finally, you can't call someone a "person", in ironic quotation marks, then scold me for my tone for using the word "specious" in reference to a statement (not a person). I made no insinuations about you or anyone else as a person, and I certainly did not imply that anyone wasn't one at all just because they disagreed with me. I caution you to check your own tone before policing someone else's.

I'm not going to argue this any further because it's beginning to stray off topic. To me, it's about fairness in a game. I don't have a problem with shard shields being an available option. I just think they should be more accessible to more players--a much lower year reward and a lot cheaper in the store if not just open to everyone (though I'm sure that will never happen). I think that would bring a lot more people to the table and everyone would benefit.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A couple of clarifications:

The crux of my argument is that the imbalance comes from the inability of everyone to participate equally, not the very existence of the shields. I don't object to them existing and being used as people please, just the way they are distributed. The ability to use something that affects the game so much should not be artificially limited to those with more RL cash or who happen to have never cancelled an account in 14+ years (and happened to have started that long ago).
That's life. In the real world or UO, nobody is able to "participate equally" -- nor should we be able to. Any economy emerges because of something called comparative advantage: people have different opportunity costs for doing things. Someone might be the best at mowing a lawn but is a better lawyer or computer programmer, so he specializes in what he does best and hires someone to mow the lawn. Certain people do things of greater value than others, and they can have more things. Certain people have the monetary ability to prioritize UO more than other things, and they opened accounts long ago or acquired one from someone, and they've been given a bone. In UO, there are people with the same templates and gear who are better at PvM or harvesting resources, never mind PvP.

When someone has sunk a minimum of $1680 into an account, why shouldn't UO's highest powers decide to give rewards that would otherwise cost money? You haven't even hinted, but you're likely one of the have-nots who's steamed that I can do some transfers every so often, no matter that I paid dearly to get to that level, no matter that it's far more cost effective for a younger player to buy transfers outright.

The player who's been around only a few years, even ten years, wasn't through the worst times. UO's heyday would have been even bigger without all the players quitting left and right over UOE and other cheats, PKs stealing houses (the days of house keys and inability to change locks), losing GMs anytime someone lit a campfire at the bank, and then the fiasco when Trammel housing opened up. Some of us persevered and kept going, however. Some of us were gone from the game for a few years yet kept paying for the sake of our houses and items. And we've been rewarded for it.

Prices on Atlantic are often lower for basic items and higher for mid- to high-ends and rares, therefore making necessities cost more and high-ends sell for less on less populated shards. If we're going to use real life as a model, for a somewhat distasteful example, that's like first world countries buying nice stuff dirt cheap from people in countries that have trouble affording basic food, water, and shelter where they live, then reselling it at home at huge mark-ups. It's exploitative of a less advantaged population that lacks equal mobility. Just because something works a certain way in real life doesn't make it good or ideal.
"Exploitative"? Do you even know what that word means? If it weren't for First Worlders buying inexpensive clothes from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Latin America, including things made by children, those people would be relegated to poverty more than you can probably imagine. They aren't working in factories because they're forced to. They're doing that because it's better than the alternative. A child making sneakers can earn more for a family than the parents together could earn from farming, allowing a family to get out of a slum and into decent housing.

But you say UO isn't like real life, so why do you care about someone on a low-pop shard who might not have as much gold? Isn't it easy enough for that person to get as many millions as anyone else? Let the person get more gold to offer a buyer, and if he doesn't, then it's his fault if the buyer goes with someone else.

Good freakin' grief, first you tried making it an issue of "unbalancing," and now you're turning it into a moral issue of these poor people being unable to afford the goods and services on their shards.

The "ghetto" shard comment is not meant as an insult, just a shorthand description of what I just described. I live on one of the lesser populated shards myself. It's always been my UO home and will be till the day they shut the server down. In fact as I mentioned, I run an auction there, which I think gives me some insight into how the less populated shards are affected by all this.
Then "ghetto" is a completely inappropriate word. You can use "dead" or "population challenged," but "ghetto" is far from the meaning you're trying to convey.

To use your own logic, one doesn't need to be an auctioneer to understand prices, right? Perhaps next time you shouldn't use things that can't be thrown back at you.

Yes, the guy I mentioned has bought tons of shard shields. He jumps on just about all the shards, not just his home shard and Atlantic. I would not and indeed could not spend that kind of money on a game personally, but some can and do. I'm not sure why you find this difficult to believe when it is well known that there are people who pay for 20+ accounts per month.
Twenty accounts a month is believable, and more. I have no reason to doubt Lady Storm. But paying for a round trip every week on average? It makes no sense even with money to burn. I don't believe it. is it the same guy who claims he makes 5 billion a month from duel bets?

And finally, you can't call someone a "person", in ironic quotation marks, then scold me for my tone for using the word "specious" in reference to a statement (not a person). I made no insinuations about you or anyone else as a person, and I certainly did not imply that anyone wasn't one at all just because they disagreed with me. I caution you to check your own tone before policing someone else's.
There is no comparison whatsoever, so don't get your knickers knotted up. I was nothing but polite to you until you took that tone with me. Nothing about "person" was about you -- isn't it clear enough that wasn't your quote? Or are you that same individual? I cannot conceive of anyone who wants to be taken seriously who'll own up to having written that.

I'm not going to argue this any further because it's beginning to stray off topic. To me, it's about fairness in a game. I don't have a problem with shard shields being an available option. I just think they should be more accessible to more players--a much lower year reward and a lot cheaper in the store if not just open to everyone (though I'm sure that will never happen). I think that would bring a lot more people to the table and everyone would benefit.
Aren't you old enough to have learned that life isn't fair, that different people have different abilities? Shard shields are a revenue generator. Do you think that when devs decided to make them ultra-long-term vet rewards that they didn't give careful thought into how many years should be required, how many accounts might use them, and how much of an impact it would have on sales?

Lower the age requirement, or make them usable by any account, and the drop in revenues would probably force a price hike that affects everybody. Now does that seem "fair" to you?

Thanks for playing. Next batter?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello Miss Echo,

I have a lot of old friends on Oceania, You I have know for awhile now.

There is a solid community there of very helpful players. There are always more or less over time however I have never found Oceania lacking in people that are willing to help you earn what you are looking for or willing to sell something you are looking for.

Whether it was prior to shard shields or after.

I guess it comes down to immediate gratification or a play style to earn something.

In my experience all you have to do to find the item you are looking for is ask for help from the community in either finding it, buying it, or earning it.

Engaging in community is what this is all about to accomplish your goals, not a third party site that does not provide you with all the items in the game which sit on a vendor for sale.
I know if you 'ask' in chat someone may have what you want. That isn't really my point. Prior to shard shields we had an economy, lots of vendors, loot 'earned' on the shard was generally sold to players on the shard. If you wanted a 120 mage or a tangle or whatever you would generally find it on a vendor. Now however, with a small population and the introduction of shard shields pretty much EVERY high end item ends up on Atlantic.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I know if you 'ask' in chat someone may have what you want. That isn't really my point. Prior to shard shields we had an economy, lots of vendors, loot 'earned' on the shard was generally sold to players on the shard. If you wanted a 120 mage or a tangle or whatever you would generally find it on a vendor. Now however, with a small population and the introduction of shard shields pretty much EVERY high end item ends up on Atlantic.
I hear you friend

I would challenge the opinion that its because of a shard shield.

A small population sometimes limits those items. I had to play for and find the items I needed to create my skill sets on Oceania.

Yes it took work. I would not say that it was a flat result of a Shard Shield. I had a lot of fun just working with the People on Oceania to gather the items I needed over time as I walked through the lands of Sosaria.

There is a Eb and Flo to each shard. I have wondered through Oceania's Flo especially when the PoC was around in mass and through the Eb which is now and worked with old friends such as yourself to gather what I needed.

In many cases it cost me a lot more or took more time to get what I needed for my character on Oceania than what it would have taken on other shards

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wait... yall are talking about all the money someone spent on shard shields. I thought they were account bound?!?! What am I missing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.