• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] State of UO Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the Devs
2014 Apr 02 18:46 GMT

Greetings everyone,

The UO Team would like to invite everyone to join us for our first State of UO Address under the Broadsword name. The get together is scheduled for Thursday April 3rd at 6 pm EST. You can watch it at any of the following locations:

Google+: Watch live on Google+
YouTube: Watch live on YouTube
Twitch: Watch live on Twitch live on Twitch

Please join us for some exciting news as to what the team is up to and where we are going next.

See everyone soon!

UO Team!

皆さん こんにちは!

今回 私達UOチームがブロートソード社になって初の「State Of UO」(動画)を配信する事になり
UOチームは皆さんにこの動画をお届けしたいと思っています!
配信予定日は2014年4月3日(木)米国東部標準時間午後6時です
以下のリンクより観覧できます

Google+: Watch live on Google+
YouTube: Watch live on YouTube
Twitch: Watch live on Twitch live on Twitch

この動画配信の機会によりチームの今後やこれからの活動をお知らせできたらと思っています

それでは皆さんまたすぐにお会いしましょう!
UOチームより

Continue reading...

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Links would be helpful...lol guess they'll provide links tomorrow :p

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thursday April 3rd at 6 pm EST
If I managed to convert the time zone correctly, this will start in 1 hour and 15 minutes, right?

Edit:
Just saw, that there's a countdown on youtube....

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure where people will be discussing what was shown today... So I'll post here.

IMO, the state of address was interesting... But I feel like you can sum up perhaps 80-90% of the content with the well known phrase "Soon".
Whens this? Soon.
Hows this? Soon.
Any news on this? Soon.
What do you think about this idea? Soon!

Really the only thing given a potential release date was the new PvP system, and that was August at best and it would only be a prototype released..
But I do appreciate they are at least making an effort to give feedback..

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I appreciate the time you all took to try and answer some of our questions, but I must say that was the most unprofessional thing I have ever seen.
You were hanging out with the devs in their living rooms. You didn't even have to take your shoes off. Read: It was casual. :)

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was very happy to learn that the universally unloved account management system is going to be addressed and made easier to use. Thank you! :)
That should, by all rights, be at the top of their list. All the game changes won't mean a thing when it's almost impossible to give them money thru the Origin Store... Still not sure they are taking those issues seriously enough.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I appreciate the time you all took to try and answer some of our questions, but I must say that was the most unprofessional thing I have ever seen.
Psst... it wasn't meant to be "professional" it was a "hangout" type environment. Relax and chat. We didn't want it to be all serious and hardcore. I think everyone did a wonderful job! Poor Stephen was a little too nervous though! We are all ok! What you heard about us isn't really that bad is it?!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good things tonight. No matter what you wanted to hear, it was excellent to get the account management news. And the news about revamping overland loot and the other dungeons. (Prays they dont forget treasure chests)

Mesanna asked for ideas on vet rewards, tbh the only thing I can think of is just let everyone have one or two extra choices on year, and perhaps lower the requirement for a few of them. Save the dev time from thinking up something new and then having to create it.

Virtue/Vice seems to be an interesting concept, but I wish they would extend it worldwide, not just Felucca...

Regardless of what we alll wanted, account mgmt and loot upgrades made the whole meet worth it!!

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
By the way they mentioned the new pets and hues as well as a new tamable Tiger...are there any pictures of this new pet? I haven't seen any yet...

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You were hanging out with the devs in their living rooms. You didn't even have to take your shoes off. Read: It was casual. :)
I liked the way laid back made things comfortable,
I was wondering what that smell was stinky socks and shoes now I know. I missed the first 30 minutes so once its posted I catch the first 30 minutes. I hope someone asked about gypsy wagons and the ladder on the steps.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He looked as if Mesanna was behind him holding a gun making sure she didn't slip up and let out some vital info...hehe!

With that said..I'm a bit upset I didn't know where to ask questions :( my long standing question is why can we not submit our own art for the 2d/3d clients based off of a template they provide and it'll relieve quite a bit of work..and maybe we can get a publish out after it's 2 Q&A ventures and two test shards and not still be ramped up with a crap ton of bugs! I'm sure there are tons of people who would love to submit art/sound/story or absolutely anything and relinquish all rights to it..for a plaque or anything at all really..

Never mind the fact that there's a robust group of people on free shard already doing this..why not milk it :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it was awsome that the Devs did that,It was the three people asking the same stupid questions over and over..... maybe they should have taken questions from others instead of just thier circle

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the need of PR for the game OUTSIDE of Stratics is vastly underestimated. I mean, Im glad to hear someone was hired to do FB, but I hope it expands to Twitter, and communication to the players. I mean, the DAOC Community manager does their FB/Twitter as well, and thats the whole point.

We shouldnt have had to go 2+ weeks without hearing a word about the status of the vendor search. Thats the point of a community person to keep contact with the players.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I think the need of PR for the game OUTSIDE of Stratics is vastly underestimated. I mean, Im glad to hear someone was hired to do FB, but I hope it expands to Twitter, and communication to the players. I mean, the DAOC Community manager does their FB/Twitter as well, and thats the whole point.

We shouldnt have had to go 2+ weeks without hearing a word about the status of the vendor search. Thats the point of a community person to keep contact with the players.
Maybe they should hire a PR company who knows their players, past and present. :)

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sounds like Stephen came up with a good way to speed up the high-res art project. I was glad to hear that. :)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and vet reward idea!!!!

-1st year! POWERSCROLL BOOK!!!!!!!!! That would be an absolutely HUGE addition..

-5th Year- An SOT Painting like the fire painting that gives out a 3.0 once per month..and a rare chance for an SOT Book with unlimited room(1:1000)

-2nd Year-Partial Transfer Shield
Once every 3 months you can move 50 items to another server..(not a character)
So you'll select the shard and character on that shard and it send to the bankbox..
(bankbox must be able to hold the amount)

-3rd Year Vet Reward- Replica Binding Stone (5 Replicas = 1 Non Replica)
(Won't hurt the current market on the duped ones) "Rare Collectors"

-Make all ethereal mounts first year (useless considering they don't represent age..just a form of transportation now)

- 16year (Title Engraving tool)
A 32 Character title Engraved in Yellow under your name permanently (5 charges/ and 25m to recharge)
"Doesn't interfere with current titles"

Just some fun ideas

T

Tazar

With that said..I'm a bit upset I didn't know where to ask questions...
As much as you are around Stratics, I am surprised that you missed it. Questions were taken in a thread in UHall and also on the UO Facebook page. We hope to do more of these so there will be more chances in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just wish there was a fair way to make vet rewards available to more people more readily, especially the account bound items. I got mine. But can you imagine how discouraging it must be to be a returning player who quit years ago, to come back, and realize he will have to play 8-10 years to get the upper level gifts. It's time for us vets to step off the proud wagon, and make everyone as happy as possible, so the game can survive and maybe grow...

But first, loot! LOL

T

Tazar

I think it was awsome that the Devs did that,It was the three people asking the same stupid questions over and over..... maybe they should have taken questions from others instead of just thier circle
See the post #31 above. While 4 of us were "asking" the questions - they were submitted by many different players both Stratics Members, and those that watch the UO Facebook page.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As much as you are around Stratics, I am surprised that you missed it. Questions were take in a thread in UHall and also on the UO Facebook page. We hope to do more of these so there will be more chances in the future.
I don't use a desktop so I tend to not directly go to the UHall section as much as Participated/Unread..I must have just skimmed past it

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One way to make future chats "cleaner" is to have just one person asking the questions and have those who aren't talking mute their mics. The video randomly flipping to anyone who made a noise while someone else was speaking was rather distracting.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bonnie did utter the words "Gypsy Camp", so I have a feeling they've at least spoken about it... One can hope. ;)

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i closed the video when the first question was regarding updated daemon names, after watching Bonnie get all huffy puffy about people introducing themselves.

Anyone have a summary of key points or something?

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might Stratics be able to sticky 2 threads for the dev team, one for vet reward ideas and the other for things we want added to the Origin UO store?

Update the first page with new idea posts once a week and in a different color, so that Mesanna or whoever can read just the new ideas quickly one time per week on a specific day of the week convenient to them.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So that was in your judgment less professional than the time when, during another dev video chat, we saw one of the team members openly drinking alcohol on the job.

I'm going to have to go with a big "no."

Seemed good to note this in addition to others noting that the setting was meant to be casual.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My question about content was skipped, I think because it was assumed that it was answered by the dungeon revamp answer.

My concern, though, was rather broader than that.

Oh well.

I was disappointed and confused by the vendor search answer, especially since that's very much the kind of thing they should be saying on the boards and on UO.com rather than saving for a special occasion. ("Eep, stuff happened we didn't anticipate. Working on it!" comes across much better in writing.)

I actually liked a decent percentage of I heard, not all of course. (Though, I admit, I don't have some kind of specific operational definition of "decent percentage.")

-Galen's player

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My question about content was skipped, I think because it was assumed that it was answered by the dungeon revamp answer.

My concern, though, was rather broader than that.

Oh well.

I was disappointed and confused by the vendor search answer, especially since that's very much the kind of thing they should be saying on the boards and on UO.com rather than saving for a special occasion. ("Eep, stuff happened we didn't anticipate. Working on it!" comes across much better in writing.)

I actually liked a decent percentage of I heard, not all of course. (Though, I admit, I don't have some kind of specific operational definition of "decent percentage.")

-Galen's player
With regard to content, we will continue to rely on our talented staff of Event Moderators who have had 75+ events since we've transitioned to Broadsword. We've also taken the approach of live arcs that are much shorter in overall length, looking at the last example of the Minax City invasions, and live arc mechanics that will find themselves a permanent home somewhere within the game world.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe the last statement on my list of questions was not a question but it was good to have an answer made.

I was disapointed that the Bod book issue of storage and use was rebuffed.
I should explain it.
If a bod book is full you must strip your character of EVERYTHING and put it ether in a secure or pack animal or bank box to remove a bod.
The lockdowns used on most homes is usualy due to the bod books.. or the abundance of vendors that sell nothing but are a holder for the books.
The book made like the Pink or Blue book for the scrolls would make alot more room and less yelling for lockdowns.
Locked down as we do now no one can access the book to ether drop in or remove a bod...... very fustrating.

Kyronix my request would make it a better usefull item. with books at 1 stone/1 item count my tailor could carry all her books and keep her clothes on working tailoring or smithing. Less lag as the books could be locked on a table to access for the players own characters or who ever he set the books access to. No vendors to hold the ton of bods eating up bandwith... cutting lag down.
Bods in a book on a vendor can only be accessed by the owner of the vendor...making it a bit of a pain in the royal tush for other accounts we own and have to access the books for work as well... (hence my first question about the log in access).

Some may say do them up and cut back, throw out the dead bods... or give away the excess...
I have done bods and ended up with double what i started with!
Cut back? look with the bribeing and filling for better bods there is no such thing.
Give away? Are you nutz!! I happen to enjoy doing bods. I mine or hunt up all the stuff ... times that by all the shards I play....

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pah, over at the Shroud of the Avatar chat only moments before, not only were the Devs there also drinking on the job, we demanded they lick Starr Long/Lord Blackthorn's head, and they agreed, IF we'd raise enough money in upgraded pledges; nearly $2000 added a few minutes later, and the Lickening commences.

So this chat is going to have to go some to shock me :p I shall watch it soon.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Google hangouts are restricted to 10 people.
We took questions from here and from facebook. We also gave the name of the person who had posed the question in the chat.
Here's a list of names if you missed hearing them.
Tazar
Promathia
kongomongo
DJAd
Riyana
Wildstar
Brianfreud2
Orich
Goodman
kRUXCg7
Tomarke
Lady Storm
Zosimus
Yadd of legends
Randy Hoosier Pappy Warner
Frarc
Scribbles
MedeaDF
4gregu
Angel of Sonoma

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With regard to content, we will continue to rely on our talented staff of Event Moderators who have had 75+ events since we've transitioned to Broadsword. We've also taken the approach of live arcs that are much shorter in overall length, looking at the last example of the Minax City invasions, and live arc mechanics that will find themselves a permanent home somewhere within the game world.
Thank you for the reply.

If the long-term intent is to switch to shorter story arcs, may I also suggest that your story arcs are perhaps non-epic in scope. I think that just fits better and is a more-logical way to go if the point is to have story content that leads into permanent live content.

By "epic scenario" I mean the usual stuff of fantasy. End of the world; major rebellion; basically anything potentially system-changing. And by non-epic scenario I mean stuff where content appears that has a storyline attached, and embedded into the content, but where the fate of the world isn't at stake.

Here are some examples of non-epic storylines from UO's past that I remember being well received.

Treasures of Tokuno: http://www.uoguide.com/Treasures_of_Tokuno
Most people focus on the reward mechanic for this event, but for purposes of this post the way the story was handled is more important. Basically it was a treasure hunt. "There's some treasure out there. Go find it."

The Savage Empire: http://www.uoguide.com/Savage_Empire
This one may have appeared epic at first, with what seemed to be orc invasions. However, at the end of the day, what was happening was that the Savages were expanding, at the orcs' expense, and the orcs' flight path sent them into our cities. The endgame consisted of determining which of the two groups would be dominant on the Britannian overland, and the results of it, varying shard-by-shard, lasted until quite recently. (When eventually the orcs reasserted their place, particularly at the Cove Fort, on all shards.)

I'm not saying there should be no more epic scenarios. I'm saying that there's a place for non-epic scenarios too. Especially if you're going for shorter scenarios.

-Galen's player

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With regard to content, we will continue to rely on our talented staff of Event Moderators who have had 75+ events since we've transitioned to Broadsword.
Whilst EMs mostly do an impressive job and they are a HUGE asset to the game, let's just keep something in proportion - "75+" looks great, but since it's roughly 8 weeks since the Broadsword announced takeover, and there are 27 shards, some of us would say "75+" is falling a lot short of what we'd like to see... even if Counsellors work alongside the EMs once they are back, it strikes me that this side of things is in need of a lot more strengthening. ;)

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Google hangouts are restricted to 10 people.
We took questions from here and from facebook. We also gave the name of the person who had posed the question in the chat.
Here's a list of names if you missed hearing them.
Tazar
Promathia
kongomongo
DJAd
Riyana
Wildstar
Brianfreud2
Orich
Goodman
kRUXCg7
Tomarke
Lady Storm
Zosimus
Yadd of legends
Randy Hoosier Pappy Warner
Frarc
Scribbles
MedeaDF
4gregu
Angel of Sonoma
I watched the whole thing and couldn't believe nobody even ate a cinnamon roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.