• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO.Com] Publish 90 Part 1 Time of legends

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good evening everybody!

I went through this whole thread and I came to the conclusion, that the new banking system is brillant, except for 1 point: I would have preferred 100 mil-units instead of 1 bil. With regard of the masteries I am inconsistent: I do not miss anything in the current system and I probably will not get masteries for all my chars.

Ah, and by the way: I AM BACK, MWAHAHAHAA!

welcome back!!! :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do vendors get gold? I couldn't find a vendor on Test Shard.
when you open the vendor's menu where it says 'collect gold' the line below it is now 'deposit gold'. Selecting that gives a box for you to type in how much to give him. It comes straight out of your bank.

I didn't look for a vendor, I made the house I built public and placed one. :D

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What I think about your 'better' design is best kept to myself.

I have studied this system well enough that I have written a page to help people understand it. I have no problems with it. Any other thoughts I have on the topic I'll keep to myself. Sharing them seems to be a bad idea.
You go girl, you have done an outstanding job and should be commended. I love your web site and it is so easy to navigate.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EC bugs (don't know about CC):

1) After opening a few containers/corpses they start to show as empty. Sometimes closing and opening them again shows the contents. But most of the time I have to shut down and restart in order to see the contents of containers again.

2) After a while some healthbars start showing up without the name of the person/critter on them.
Is that on Prodo Shard or TC, if Prodo then which shard.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because it's absolutely cringeworthy embarassing that this game's economy is so inflated beyond all sanity that the default interface includes a "billions" counter in every transaction. It's absolutely terrible for the casual/initial perception of the game.

Plus if it were a million it might actually be useful for regular players doing day to day things. Something is 20 mil, okay here's 20 plat, no need to care about the extraneous half dozen zeroes.

But if it's a billion, who is it even for? What, it just exists so that the 0.1% of the population selling castles on Atlantic can type "10" instead of "10,000" when they make a sale?

And "technical limitations" nothing. A million platinum at one mil per piece would be a trillion gold.
I suppose that I will simply choose not to care that there is a couple extra sentences appearing each time I say "balance." I elect to not let it affect my gameplay or personal life to be reminded by an NPC that I don't have any platinum. The sun will continue to rise every morning and I will still do the things I like to do in UO. This is one of those parts of the game that to me, is as meaningless to dwell upon as say, not liking the colors of guard uniforms in moonglow or feeling resentful for the lack of types of cake graphics to display on our garden roof/ninja dojo/pvp arena/RP taverns.

And here's an idea. You want to buy or sell something for a billion. You go to the counter and type 100000000...wait, or is it 1000000000. Perhaps part of the idea is to simplify the large transactions which are occurring to be a bit more user friendly and less prone for mistakes/abuse. How many times have you heard someone either complain or rejoice that a player accidentally missed or typed one too many 0's on their vendor? Your example of it being 0.1 or even 1% of the population to use this feature is pretty low in my opinion. Perhaps I am failing to see where this is some sort of bombastic mistake or diminishes the initial perception of the game. The community seems to be used to the "hundred mill" transactions. The "billion" transactions are getting up there and I can see a need to simplify that, especially in a game that has consistently inflated since it's beginning. Platinum transactions very well could be the norm one day.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh yeah! One thing! The tithing gump needs an option to type in an amount. Since it's not the gold in your pack anymore its either all the gold in the bank or 100 gold at a time. I usually deposit a backpack full of money so like 50-60k... that would take a looooong time to click in by the 100.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea! The new expansion sounds fun with lots of new things to explore! It will probably keep me busy for the next couple of years.
*heads back to the game*

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh yeah! One thing! The tithing gump needs an option to type in an amount. Since it's not the gold in your pack anymore its either all the gold in the bank or 100 gold at a time. I usually deposit a backpack full of money so like 50-60k... that would take a looooong time to click in by the 100.
just put gold in your backpack - say "withdraw 10000" at the bank and everything should work as normal unless they changed something

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I really hope theres a fix being worked on for enhanced client's Show Name All. As of right now if you have mobile hotbars innocents unchecked, it requires the player to run onto a screen twice just for a person's name to appear over their head. A player that just runs onto your screen won't even have their name showing unless you get off screen and come back or they get off screen and come back. This feature was working perfectly fine before the patch and now it's broken. :( I hope @Kyronix or whoever is responsible for debugging is aware of the issue atleast.
Have you tested this on TC Because @Bleak worked on this and says he fixed it and is that with or without Pinco's UI. Before if you were using just the base EC without pinco's a Mob could spawn right next to you and the bar would never show because it was populating all the blue's and everything else near you even if you had it turned off to see them it was counting those bars against the "max" number of bars that could be displayed. But supposedly after the fix it should be working much better and shouldn't count any bars you have turned off.

Also check your settings to see how often it "checks" and updates bars.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Hous customizing on TC1

I have a wierd problem on first floor, in most of the house, I can't place floor tiles and I can't remove old steps, I can place steps on the steps, but the old do not go away. I can place walls. Next floor seem ok.

It's really bugged, I can't even use the old steps to get in house now, I can stand on them but not go in house from them.

Look at SE, there is a new step but old one is still there

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Hmm, I think there was an oversight.
I am not finding a way to donate to city coffers now that checks are gone.
I could donate in stacks of 60K gold by dropping it at the city herald, but I couldn't find a way to transfer balance to any city coffers directly.
If one is to donate millions of gold to the city, it would take a loooong while to do so this way.

Hill Top

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
No, you can only add pieces. You cannot "customize" the actual prebuilt form in a subtractive sense.
Customized castles is completely blowing the lid off of me and cant believe this will actually be implemented what a waste of sever space and will be nothing but problems and open a whole new level of scripting for the script idoc people have fun with that DEV's ..... piss more people off, i guess why not right thats all they like to do these days....

Hill Top

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The new updates based on my current (needs a 5 month hazing period) analysis is...

1) Tamer's are going to get a ton of event items.
2) Castles are awesome (don't have one) and keeps suck... sucks to be me. lmao
3) Stealth/Ninja is the way to go for felucca IDOCs.
4) PvP sucks again, because I haven't even gotten use to the new, old.. wait... doubly old system now known as the "triply" old system yet. All of my armor suits are from 4 *major* patches ago... :p :p

Can't we just have a new land and new monsters... fully customize our castles/keeps (Is a good thing) without any additional updates? Armor and new skill masteries and a new bank gump... kind of take away from the feel of what Ultima has been for at least 8-9 years now. I hate scripters and $$$ sellers more than anybody... and Sangria explained to me the purposes... and while I agreed then, after thinking it over... how are these changes going to prevent money transfers to begin with?
This Post is 200% Right folks and DEVS better take this information And use it !!!!!!!

Hill Top

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
i think many would disagree. imbueing made cookie cutter suits, everyones looked exactly the same, and was the best you could get. there was absolutely no reason when imbuing came out to loot anything at all off monsters, destroying the value of all game content. hunting was very depressing there for a few years when i was looting colored blobs instead of useful armor. in my opinion global loot brought back "oldschool looting" to UO, with reforging and imbuing still very useful and even needed. in my opinion we have the perfect balance now when it comes to gear, which is a very hard thing to acomplish in UO.
You are right and everying will be OUT of balance again with these STUPID Mastery's that will wreck everything

Hill Top

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Well all I learned from this appears to be the player base has very little confidence in the Dev team. I gave a very simple way it could be achieved. Leave the old castle code as is. Design a new castle code set for all those who wish to replace with the new castle design that looks exactly like the old one except it's flexible. Those placing in the future would get the new design. Really? You people REALLY don't think this sorta thing is possible? Castle design one or two, old or new, pick one when placing. Or when placing in the future you only get the new design (leaving the old castles and code exactly the way they are). This "castle is cast in stone" story is nonsense. Castle... cast in stone... I made a funny.... Anyway it does my heart good to see us on opposite ends of the spectrum again. It was getting creepy there for awhile. Feels like the universe is in sync again :p
Right we dont have any confidence in the Dev team because they keep coming up with crap like this instead of fixing old issues that are a decade old THIS WHOLE PUBLISH IS NONSENCE PLEASE STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope. The maximum you can tithe is, and I think always has been, 100k. So the reality (at the moment) is you can tithe in 100gp blocks, or 100k.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hous customizing on TC1

I have a wierd problem on first floor, in most of the house, I can't place floor tiles and I can't remove old steps, I can place steps on the steps, but the old do not go away. I can place walls. Next floor seem ok.

It's really bugged, I can't even use the old steps to get in house now, I can stand on them but not go in house from them.

Look at SE, there is a new step but old one is still there
I've had a bug before where a house from another shard or facet has overlaid mine. Did a similar thing. Try a full reboot. See if that helps?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I was just basing my statements on the things you mentioned here, and in other threads, deco, house tiles, gardening/plants. I didn't mean to say you were this or that, may bad if I came across that way.

You see taking new looks at old skills as a waste of time, that finding new ways to accomplish the same goals is not of value. By that logic why ever expand skills at all? It's all just killing monsters in the end. Why not just have everyone have a broadsword, and have no skills? It all ends up the same. Obviously you are not for that, so I don't see why you are opposed to adding in new variables. Acomplishing a goal isn't the only thing. The WAY you acomplish it is just as, it not even more important. Allowing people to customize and use their creativity to suit their interests is a very desirable goal IMO.

I feel like you didn't read a lot of my previous responses. You say you don't want to spend millions seeking out the new uber. Then don't do it. I've already gone on at length on the topic of "uberness" being stupid. You don't need to change anything you don't want to change. The notion that an effective character today will suddenly poof into a cloud of useless ash the moment the expansion hits is simply incorrect. I've said this probably 1000 times on these forums and multiple times in this thread but ill say it again just to make my feelings crystal clear: You don't need to be anywhere near "uber" to do everything non pvp in this game. If you don't like the uber chase... stop chasing it.

You say building a new character/altering an old one isn't fun, but you don't qualify it with an -I don't find-, you state it objectively. It obviously IS fun to many people. It's fun to me. As for adding in new possibilities making the game more complex, I disagree. Dense does not necessarily mean complex. A Rubix Cube for example is complex, a pile of lego bricks is dense. The rubix cube has specific rules and you must follow them when you "play" with it. With legos you can build anything you feel like building, you can use you own imagination and make a janky looking house, or use detailed instructions and get a sweet looking castle, there are no rules and no right way to do it. Adding more bricks to the pile won't make it more complex, it will just give your creatively more potential routes to travel down. You never have to use bricks you don't find interesting. Masteries as I said before, if you don't like them, or find them too complex (somehow) don't use them. Simple as that. Many of us however are excited to try out new things.

Make new content that's not only novel, but innovative! Easier done than said right?
I feel the same way about these kind of statements the way I do about people who say that if they were a MLB team manager or a GM then everything would be different and better. Of course we all have a lot of ideas about this game, and some may even be good, but the fact is we are operating behind a veil of ignorance. We don't know what it's like to actively design this game, we don't know the resources at hand... there are and endless list of factors we simply don't know about. It's also quite possible that our great ideas aren't as great as they seem in our heads.
I'm as critical of the devs as the next person, but I accept that doing a good job and pleasing a lot of people are not just finger snap easy, or even always feasibly possible.
I'm alpha, I'm OCD about ubar so there's little I can do. Well we're just repeating ourselves so I'm gonna stop. But the sooner you just admit your wrong you can begin the healing :p

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seriously? A platinum coin as stackable item, which can be excanged back into gold? 50 mil of gold per plat. coin? You really want to support dupers, eh?
Not at all, the coins could be tagged with who they were claimed by and account bound until spent... and then tagged with who they were sold to as well. But I do see what you are saying, Old Vet had told me something about duping no longer existed though, is why I thought that idea up. Hopefully the Devs have the best idea in mind, they know what is up for sure.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What I think about your 'better' design is best kept to myself.

I have studied this system well enough that I have written a page to help people understand it. I have no problems with it. Any other thoughts I have on the topic I'll keep to myself. Sharing them seems to be a bad idea.
Maybe you should have addressed what you replied too... instead of Atlantic Realtors' post. You obviously misunderstood what I had typed back then, as I never said you could currently dupe platinum. I'll take my advice from people who are willing to read before typing....

Kazute

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Have you tested this on TC Because @Bleak worked on this and says he fixed it and is that with or without Pinco's UI. Before if you were using just the base EC without pinco's a Mob could spawn right next to you and the bar would never show because it was populating all the blue's and everything else near you even if you had it turned off to see them it was counting those bars against the "max" number of bars that could be displayed. But supposedly after the fix it should be working much better and shouldn't count any bars you have turned off.

Also check your settings to see how often it "checks" and updates bars.
This testing is done without pincos ui on both live Atlantic server and the test server with the regular enhanced client. Pinco's UI at the moment doesn't function properly due to the patch and is faring even worse than the normal enhanced client (not that I'm blaming him, the patch just came out).

The updates are set for .1s and it doesn't even update at that. I've seen monsters stay at 100% til death or jump from 80% to 28%. No idea what happened to a perfectly good working AI for it to go this wrong.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I was reading the 5 steps of loss and they seemed to fit my views on Castle/Keep Customizing. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Not sure what I lost in this situation other than my mind and possibly the dream to finally have real customizing like every other house in the game has. But they did *something*, and knowing Mesanna's views on Castles it was probably a big step for her. I should send her my picture to toss darts at, if she hasn't already. So everyone is running around with their happy "I'm gonna build steps!" glasses on and I see it's pointless to fight the inevitable. I stated my views and I'm going to let it rest until reality sets in for the masses. There's just no dealing with them currently, they've drank the kool-aid. That reality will be your going to be doing nothing but mining granite for weeks lol. NO ONE else has to go through that to customize a house, a few hundred K and they're living in the Palace of Versailles. At 5 pieces of granite for one floor tile (or so I'm told) that should keep them busy a good long time. Have fun with that, I'll be selling granite at absurd prices :p When UO gives you lemons, make a boat load of gold off it ;) Dammit they're using lemon art again? That was a rare!

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I've had a bug before where a house from another shard or facet has overlaid mine. Did a similar thing. Try a full reboot. See if that helps?
That did fix it, after I logged in again, it looked like this below, the tiles I had tried to place to test with old and new ones was there. I do have a house at same spot on Siege.

Reactions: Vor

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another big thumbs up to Mesanna and the Devs. The changes to the castles and keeps look awesome and Aurora said she loves the expansion the archery area attack spells. :) And we have a big thank you guys for the IDOC changes. Of course we will be here forever playing UO. *Smack slaps the dupers and gold buyers.* I can't wait to see the new lands and explore those with her. I know you guys did the best for the dupers and gold sellers that you could think of... I hope it works. God bless all and soon to be a good night. Captain Lucky and everyone else, I know you guys in your heart feel the same as me and it's not the Devs or Mesanna or anyone else that you are angry at aside from the dupers and gold sellers... it sucks that people can buy their way to the top... but really, let's team up and do some Scallis the Enforcers and get some of those elite items ourselves instead of buying those. Hit me us up, we are strong I promise. :) :)

[PS... I have about 20 white fishing nets right now... :p :p] And when those run out, Slasher isn't a far cry I think so. :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Another big thumbs up to Mesanna and the Devs. The changes to the castles and keeps look awesome and Aurora said she loves the expansion the archery area attack spells. :) And we have a big thank you guys for the IDOC changes. Of course we will be here forever playing UO. *Smack slaps the dupers and gold buyers.* I can't wait to see the new lands and explore those with her. I know you guys did the best for the dupers and gold sellers that you could think of... I hope it works. God bless all and soon to be a good night. Captain Lucky and everyone else, I know you guys in your heart feel the same as me and it's not the Devs or Mesanna or anyone else that you are angry at aside from the dupers and gold sellers... it sucks that people can buy their way to the top... but really, let's team up and do some Scallis the Enforcers and get some of those elite items ourselves instead of buying those. Hit me us up, we are strong I promise. :) :)

[PS... I have about 20 white fishing nets right now... :p :p] And when those run out, Slasher isn't a far cry I think so. :)
No actually I'm kinda mad at Mesanna about Castle customization. I'm also happy with Mesanna about Castle customization. I'm very confused.... Kinda like getting a tune up and getting half the spark plugs replaced.

Last edited:

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Maybe you should have addressed what you replied too... instead of Atlantic Realtors' post. You obviously misunderstood what I had typed back then, as I never said you could currently dupe platinum. I'll take my advice from people who are willing to read before typing....
And I'll listen to and take advice from people who actually understand this game's mechanics, like @Petra Fyde

I have a feeling this expansion is actually going to have success in it, and for that I am very pleased. It's not too late to turn this game around...

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are masteries based on REAL skill or skill bonus from jewels/items skill as well?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are masteries based on REAL skill or skill bonus from jewels/items skill as well?
My testing concluded that they are based off of Real skill.
The "Consume Damage" option of Animal Taming's "Combat Training" seems really OP at 120 Taming/120 Lore, until you realize just how much time, effort and dedication it actually takes to reach 120 Taming. Taming is one of the few skills that you can't just macro. Hence why Tamers with 120 real Taming are fairly rare.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Real skill. Bummer I know....
I look at it like this, you can have the power of having way over the skill cap through items, or you can have the power of the masteries, but you can't have both. UO has always been about making choices, here's another one.

Consume damage is nice - but it doesn't half eat up your mana. It's not something most tamers will be able to use for every fight. As an example of how I'd use it (and I do have a 3 x 120 tamer) if fighting balron in Ilsh I'd use the consume damage mastery when a paragon spawned.
btw, the 'boarding' passive mastery is active as long as the mastery is selected on the book, if you're not using masteries in other skills you need never turn it off.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
first... tldr everything (when ppl started talking about typing speeds my eyes glazed)

• Of course, if you want to "make more money" for the game, it goes without saying that you can sell the levels via the Origin Store (or better yet, your own website!!). But I would definitely make them a bit more expensive than $5/$10/$15 for each level respectively. Perhaps more like $15/$30/$60?
  • If they charge ONE CENT for the mastery books I will close all my accounts and go and play something else. As for the prices you think would be good up there that is the most ludicrous amounts I have ever seen. No point in giving us a 'free' expansion then charging 60 bucks for one level 3 mastery. Yep can just see me spending $180 bucks just to put a level 3 on my mage/mystic/spellweaving char. No idea what you could possibly be thinking to even suggest such a huge amount or any amount at all for that matter.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like platinum, and think it is a great way to simplify the games currency storage. However, I do agree with some of the posters here that 1 platinum being equal to 1 billion might be a bit excessive. Even among rares collectors, it's pretty rare for someone to have more than a few billion gold in its actual "gold" form at one time. The majority of a UO players wealth is usually in items, not gold itself. So even if a person has a net worth of lets say 10 billion, the person most likely has 2 billion or less in actual gold with the rest being items they have bought and collected.

Ummm...Speak for yourself sir. ;)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just imagine, this release to TC is after a month or two of the "focus group" ... I get that UO is old and most of the coding has to be done a certain way. In fact i wish the Devs would be a little more open to how hard it is to code what we ask of them constantly. Perhaps, we would all be a little more understanding if they were a little more open with why something cant be done.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just imagine, this release to TC is after a month or two of the "focus group" ... I get that UO is old and most of the coding has to be done a certain way. In fact i wish the Devs would be a little more open to how hard it is to code what we ask of them constantly. Perhaps, we would all be a little more understanding if they were a little more open with why something cant be done.
"Can't be done" really isn't accurate for most cases. Maybe "would require too much code to be re-written" or something of the like.

IMO, UO release too much "incomplete" content... stuff that goes part way and either doesn't really deliver on what the player base wants, is too buggy, or is vastly over complicated.

A good example in this release is the classic housing "customization". Castle and Keep owners have been asking for years to have the ability to customize their houses. While what we got allows us to deco the current layouts with some additional walls, stairs and doors... it does not address what was at the core of most owners desire... the existing layout is very cumbersome. I get that the current code for those houses really isn't suited to moving a wall or door. But it just can't be that hard to create a new "castle" footprint in a couple more basic layouts and let owners use the new walls, stairs and doors to complete the design. Maybe we get that later down the line, maybe not... But to me it will feel incomplete without that ability. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Can't be done" really isn't accurate for most cases. Maybe "would require too much code to be re-written" or something of the like.

IMO, UO release too much "incomplete" content... stuff that goes part way and either doesn't really deliver on what the player base wants, is too buggy, or is vastly over complicated.

A good example in this release is the classic housing "customization". Castle and Keep owners have been asking for years to have the ability to customize their houses. While what we got allows us to deco the current layouts with some additional walls, stairs and doors... it does not address what was at the core of most owners desire... the existing layout is very cumbersome. I get that the current code for those houses really isn't suited to moving a wall or door. But it just can't be that hard to create a new "castle" footprint in a couple more basic layouts and let owners use the new walls, stairs and doors to complete the design. Maybe we get that later down the line, maybe not... But to me it will feel incomplete without that ability. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

yeah what they probably feel is a compromise to me feels like flat out ignoring the problem. But then again i have no clue what is capable and what is out of the question.