• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO.Com] Publish 90 Part 1 Time of legends

Kazute

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I really hope theres a fix being worked on for enhanced client's Show Name All. As of right now if you have mobile hotbars innocents unchecked, it requires the player to run onto a screen twice just for a person's name to appear over their head. A player that just runs onto your screen won't even have their name showing unless you get off screen and come back or they get off screen and come back. This feature was working perfectly fine before the patch and now it's broken. :( I hope @Kyronix or whoever is responsible for debugging is aware of the issue atleast.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I thought the OPs and Stratics leaders were trying to turn this back into a fruitful discussion... where is my back up here?
This is a mostly productive discussion. For the most part the only non productive posts are the ones where you keep accusing people of using personal attacks. Just about everything you have reported is not a personal attack. Someone saying that your "making up stories" is not even close to a personal attack in any way. Someone saying your "Daft about game mechanics" also isn't a personal attack.

A real personal attack would be if someone started insulting your real life, or your family, something along those lines.

You keep prodding people about stuff until they answer, then get mad at them when they finally do. when you poke someone with a stick over and over again eventually they are going to get tired of it and snap back at you. Telling Old Vet that you reported his post and hope it gets removed is an example of what I mean by prodding people.

If you want people to stop getting mad at you, stop poking and prodding them. If someone disagrees with what you said, just let it go and move on to the next topic instead of latching onto it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not everyone is going to like your ideas, it doesn't mean they are insulting you.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really hope theres a fix being worked on for enhanced client's Show Name All. As of right now if you have mobile hotbars innocents unchecked, it requires the player to run onto a screen twice just for a person's name to appear over their head. A player that just runs onto your screen won't even have their name showing unless either get off screen and come back or they get off screen and come back. This feature was working perfectly fine before the patch and now it's broken. :( I hope @Kyronix or whoever is responsible for debugging is aware of the issue atleast.
I'm getting this also along with healthbars I drag off players keep vanishing.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see the big deal about the platinum thing. So what that one billion is also called one platinum. This is a much needed update to the game that is long overdue. I like the trade window just fine. It doesn't bother me at all.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I don't see the big deal about the platinum thing. So what that one billion is also called one platinum.
Because it's absolutely cringeworthy embarassing that this game's economy is so inflated beyond all sanity that the default interface includes a "billions" counter in every transaction. It's absolutely terrible for the casual/initial perception of the game.

Plus if it were a million it might actually be useful for regular players doing day to day things. Something is 20 mil, okay here's 20 plat, no need to care about the extraneous half dozen zeroes.

But if it's a billion, who is it even for? What, it just exists so that the 0.1% of the population selling castles on Atlantic can type "10" instead of "10,000" when they make a sale?

And "technical limitations" nothing. A million platinum at one mil per piece would be a trillion gold.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because it's absolutely cringeworthy embarassing that this game's economy is so inflated beyond all sanity that the default interface includes a "billions" counter in every transaction. It's absolutely terrible for the casual/initial perception of the game.

Plus if it were a million it might actually be useful for regular players doing day to day things. Something is 20 mil, okay here's 20 plat, no need to care about the extraneous half dozen zeroes.

But if it's a billion, who is it even for? What, it just exists so that the 0.1% of the population selling castles on Atlantic can type "10" instead of "10,000" when they make a sale?

And "technical limitations" nothing. A million platinum at one mil per piece would be a trillion gold.
How much do castles cost on Atl.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'd also prefer it be per million as well, or 10, it would make it more funtional. I don't really think the inflation is a big deal though, just ugly. I really do think there needs to be a visual representation of your currency in the bank gump. You shouldn't need to spam the bank to see your balance, and you should'nt HAVE to make it public.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like platinum, and think it is a great way to simplify the games currency storage. However, I do agree with some of the posters here that 1 platinum being equal to 1 billion might be a bit excessive. Even among rares collectors, it's pretty rare for someone to have more than a few billion gold in its actual "gold" form at one time. The majority of a UO players wealth is usually in items, not gold itself. So even if a person has a net worth of lets say 10 billion, the person most likely has 2 billion or less in actual gold with the rest being items they have bought and collected. The reason for this being, having a lot of gold is great....but it's still just gold. Players usually seem much more satisfied owning a special item, or having a collection of items, instead of just having a large pile of gold that really doesn't do anything until it gets spent.

Making it so 1 platinum = 100 million gold would still greatly reduce the hassle of dealing with lots of gold, while also allowing more players to have access to platinum.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a mostly productive discussion. For the most part the only non productive posts are the ones where you keep accusing people of using personal attacks. Just about everything you have reported is not a personal attack. Someone saying that your "making up stories" is not even close to a personal attack in any way. Someone saying your "Daft about game mechanics" also isn't a personal attack.

A real personal attack would be if someone started insulting your real life, or your family, something along those lines.

You keep prodding people about stuff until they answer, then get mad at them when they finally do. when you poke someone with a stick over and over again eventually they are going to get tired of it and snap back at you. Telling Old Vet that you reported his post and hope it gets removed is an example of what I mean by prodding people.

If you want people to stop getting mad at you, stop poking and prodding them. If someone disagrees with what you said, just let it go and move on to the next topic instead of latching onto it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not everyone is going to like your ideas, it doesn't mean they are insulting you.
Well I guess I will follow your advice... and ignore the repeated messages against me personally. I put a very productive message out... and one it was replied to by Petra Fyde saying I said platinum would be duped, which I never said. Two... it was blasted by Old Vet Back Again because I was making up stuff (I did not, me and EM-Sangria talked for about 20 minutes or so in chat about Ultima III on Super Nintendo and such, as he stayed on chat for about an hour explaining this update to us 2-3 weeks ago.) He then said I was Daft to game mechanics, which isn't a personal attack I don't guess... yet I obviously understand game mechanics quite well... as my whole family plays and I have played from 12 to 29 years old... probably more than most of you even. Then I ask for some backup because my post was not that bad.... and three, then Captain Norrington, UOForum moderator comes on and singles me out as the problem.

Seems the problem is about 5 or 6 elite people teaming up on someone who had a problem with the update. Yea... the update sucks as most have. I would pay money to undo this update... but unfortunately the Devs, moderators, Ems and Gms are in collusion. Send in the army of trolls....... someone had a problem with the update.

[I really have no problem with the update, I said the good and the bad things from my perspective. The problem I had was people having a problem with what I said.... my opinion counts as much as Captain Norrington's or anyone else's for that matter...]

Last edited:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Actually, I posted a very great message... and it did not prod anyone at all... I was then "prodded" back at. And this reply to you is not prodding either, it is simply stating that I did not do something you said I did...

Why could there not just be an exchange rate in a "new bank" location for gold checks. Call it the FED... UO style. Everyone who wants to trade a platinum (you could make it worth 50m or something... for easy trades...) can cart however much gold they want to the new bank with pack horses or a beetle... and Viola.

That's the main complaint with all of this is changing our 18+ year old trade window... it's not Ultima if you add cartoon gold to a trade window and numbers... and make it smaller sized... I mean... it's hard to see what you are even trading? I seriously hope it's not too late to fix this one aspect.

The masteries are not looking as bad... new land is ok too, new castle/keep customization rocks... I get it, I have to buy new armor for 500m and make a tamer/weaver/mage if I want to get event items... that's ok too even... I don't get those anyway. The new IDOC system rocks... so in all the work the past year has been a great change. But why change the trade window and take away checks? Every idea the GMs told to us have been proven false with simple logic... or just were a lie to begin with (no offense intended,) but they didn't want poor people to feel shafted about a new banking system just to help the elite trade items and save space.

I like going to the bank for checks... in fact... that is the ONLY reason I go to the bank ever... it makes Ultima seem more realistic. The trade window being simple and the old style helps players feel like it is really Ultima still. Please re-think this Devs... please for the love of the game. I know it's in testing and it is not too late... listen to the complaints on this issue. I get the coding was easy or something... that's no excuse. Someone could work at Pizza Hut easily... but it doesn't mean their family is going to be happy with the results.

You could have 1 single bank in Britain... for a currency exchange. If someone wanted 780 million for some crazy event item... you could take enough gold to the New Britannia Mint and exchange 50 x 15 loads of checks for 15 platinum... and pay the guy 15 platinum (750m) plus 30m for the item. It would seem realistic like Ultima was meant to be... it would be logical... it would simply add a new "real" currency to the world, without taking anything away.

Dupers will keep 100m gold checks to dupe anyway... and we've already deduced that down to an illogical reason, as they can dupe Sphinxes to recuperate any loses. They can still trade gold... so the buying isn't going away from the sites... so I fail to see the point in changing the trade windows and checks that have existed for 18+ years. My idea would also free up space and give the Devs a new "Bank" to design rather than wasting countless hours on coding trade windows and a new banking system... it's absurd to change UO so much.

I hope this was constructive criticism instead of my usual pessimistic take... as I hope it truly helps. Listen to the players on this please - don't change the trade window and make it ugly. Girls absolutely hate ugly stuff... that's the reason we don't use the sheep statue reward, because it should have been the 2d kind and been "cute" my wife says.

Thanks... I do hope they you guys listen. You did on the IDOCs and I thank you, now I've got my 2010 Valentine's day Bear and a few other event items finally. :) :)

*Whispers* [Better yet, make this new bank in felucca!]
I do see an illogicality in my own reasoning... as they could dupe the platinum and exchange it for gold checks I guess... as that you cannot do with the Sphinxes. But still... the trade window... don't take our trade window. :( Maybe the new "Britain Main Bank" would be able to more easily track who traded what platinum pieces... maybe have them tagged with names for example, from Player X to Player Y... that way duping could be tracked?

All in all, thanks dupers... for screwing up Ultima time and again. I still think my ideas above are great. ^^^^^^^^
Were my good posts... I was ill informed that duping still existed, and Old Vet Back Again informed me (in an ill manner mind you) that it has not existed since 2005... ok so I don't know about duping. EM-Sangria told me the gold changes were to address website selling, how was I to know what that means... I'm not a duper, scripter, or a seller/buyer from websites. I have no event items save the ones from IDOCs recently, which I have thanks the Devs for 100 times. :) :) But he did not say duping does not exist anymore and hasn't since 2005... what he said was definitely prodding from the night before, for which I had already apologized for and made 4-5 other constructive posts...

You realize that there hasn't been a gold dupe since like 2005, right? Now those that did the duping had duped massive amounts of gold that most likely are completely sold out. Now they buy from someone, mark it up and resell it. I'm telling you, again, you are extremely daft with the game mechanics and what has been fixed by the devs. Oh ya, and NO ONE CAN DUPE A SPHINX!. If they could, there are much more valuable rares that could be duped and flood the market, but we don't see that happening no do we?

Please for the love of god, just let it go.
I would call that prodding... I do know game mechanics, I play every single day. I don't watch every single thing the Devs do because I play the game... I don't lurk on forums trying to buy/sell rares and make money, I assume that is what the scripter's do however.... If you go over to the Event page... you will see 15-20 people claiming that the EMs are leaking information to friends for event item purposes... which I didn't know until today. I figure... go figure... right?

But when someone changes the game art that has existed for the classic client for 18 years, and it is of benefit only to the super rich and hurts the design art of what Ultima has always been.. how do the super rich not expect everyone else to complain and moan? For the record again, I did not prod them first today, they prodded me first. I was too emotional the first day... but that given, I thought my comments today were spot on. I do consider it a personal attack when someone says I am daft to game mechanics. If it's not tell me, nicely.

Further more... I consider what you just did a personal attack as well... because you are trying to destroy my credibility by insinuating that you, Lord Frodo, Old Vet Back Again, Petra Fyde, and the other elite who railed against me are in some way more credible... because they didn't like what I said and got into a back and forth with me two days ago I'm assuming. I didn't prod them today, I simply reported Old Vet Back Again because I felt that was a personal attack, as I am going to report you as well because I felt what you said was too.

I could really care less... but I actually tried to post constructive stuff, not to get accused of making stuff up or saying you could dupe platinum, when I never said that; or prodding people, when I never did that.

As I told someone else... a reply is never off topic, and it is also not a prod.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This sort of psychological **** matters when it comes to designing a system. Not only that, but how about some damn granularity in this system? Like instead of knocking nine zeroes off for 1% of the population, how about knocking six off for everyone?
If you read through this thread, lots of people don't like changes. So if you see that from the opposite side, not bothering 99.9% of the people with platinum can be a good thing as well.
As with pub 78, the max price on a vendor is now 175,000,000gp. That means, that the average player will never ever get in contact with platinum at all. It will just be a zero, he will see when accessing the bank.
Also I'm pretty sure, that software architecture issues tie in here, especially when it comes to the legacy CC and server code (which might not be any newer that client code).

This is shaping up to be exactly the kind of thing you'd hope it wouldn't be. A big ugly artless gump and an NPC yelling three paragraphs of crap about how many billions are in your three different accounts.
Unfortunately UI design and usability was never one of the strong points of the UO devs. Just look at the cleanup reward UI: You have to flip through tiny pages of 5 items max per page and if you buy something at the end of the catalogue, you are thrown back to page one. Pretty handy, when you want to buy a whole set... that's frigging ridiculous...
So, yeah, TBH, I didn't expect a lot here as well...

On the other hand, you can also hold responsible the focus group for that :D

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you read through this thread, lots of people don't like changes. So if you see that from the opposite side, not bothering 99.9% of the people with platinum can be a good thing as well.
As with pub 78, the max price on a vendor is now 175,000,000gp. That means, that the average player will never ever get in contact with platinum at all. It will just be a zero, he will see when accessing the bank.
Also I'm pretty sure, that software architecture issues tie in here, especially when it comes to the legacy CC and server code (which might not be any newer that client code).

Unfortunately UI design and usability was never one of the strong points of the UO devs. Just look at the cleanup reward UI: You have to flip through tiny pages of 5 items max per page and if you buy something at the end of the catalogue, you are thrown back to page one. Pretty handy, when you want to buy a whole set... that's frigging ridiculous...
So, yeah, TBH, I didn't expect a lot here as well...

On the other hand, you can also hold responsible the focus group for that :D
I liked my idea of creating a single new bank in Britain, called the Royal Mint of Britain or something... and allowing players to take 50m gold checks to it for 1 platinum. No unnecessary UI changes... and a nice new "coin" that everyone could be proud of. Plus it allows role playing as you could take your gold there... cash it still, and so forth. :) :) I would have gotten a few of those platinum coins then too... and my trade window would be the same and it wouldn't had irked the ire of so many. Everyone would had been happy about that, some might say it didn't go far enough... but nobody would say it went too far.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And you also get a big AMEN. UO is starting to get way to complicated for the casual player.
I've played for 13 years and for last couple I've just given up on trying to learn all the new junk.

Complexity for the sake of complexity is not good.

This game needs things to do. Not complexity. Problem is most of the things they added like void pool were poorly implemented and never fixed. Give decent rewards in void pool and people would do it. Instead it was short lived when peopled realized the rewards are weak at best.

Fix existing systems to spur interest instead of more and more complexity.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The new land mass and animals were a good thing though (I sure hope the new animals are not over sized and cartoonish... Lord help me if so... lol.) The changes to castles and keeps rock, but someone had a better idea about just allowing 24x24 customizable plots and so forth rather than building stuff... kind of odd how they chose one over the other. I'd like to know what they were thinking exactly, or not thinking. But it's still a good idea however. The masteries also don't look so bad for PvM... but I'm never going to go PvP'ing at this rate... but that's alright too.

1) Tamer/Weaver for events and you'll be fine (if you do those.)
2) Ninja/Stealther for fel Idocs from now on...
3) Keeps and castles rock, castles more so...
4) Oh yea... the platinum and new UI stuff... *shakes head in remembrance of what it is and what it could have been...*

Those goods do outweigh the bad, but I would have preferred all great to be honest. Why not just a new bank and a new coin? These could be usable on vendors... and put diminishing expenses on vendors and allow over 175m gold items... and allowed 24x24 house plots... those changes would have been an A+++.

This should be the focus group. ^^^^^^ It's a combination of about 3-4 people ideas that would have worked smoothly and... very, very good. Just my thoughts. Please attack my thoughts kindly guys... and constructive criticism of it is appreciated too... just don't type in all caps to me and say my understanding of the game is Daft and I'll be ok.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
If that was the point... then there is absolutely no reason for the new banking system, that is ridiculous. One of those blue sphinxes sells for about a hundred bucks compared to their fifteen cent gold.... I hate scripters... so don't get me wrong. I have written more emails to Mesanna about (young) people who are scripters than anyone in history, I promise... lol. I do see how it can help dry up the gold in game... but I think there are some people with over 100 billion still, from the looks of things. And those characters already have the new 2 billion gold suits, so they are going to get all of the new event items anyway....

So with reasoning perhaps... their 10-30 billions of gold will gradually dry up... then they will dupe a Sphinx and sell it for gold, and recuperate their loses? They still have the best items in game and that cannot be fixed ever. They have the best suits so they will keep getting the event items now, based on changes the EMs themselves made with the last armor patch... It sucks trying so hard at a game for 5 years... and walking through Luna looking at the lawyer's (or scripter... who knows') house full of items though. Rich people and scripters ruined this game... bad reasoning made it worse. I was so happy finally 2 years ago. Can't we revert to take away the brittle armor? :/ Imbuing was enough... it took smarts... and money cannot buy that.

I am really trying Not to answer All your NEGATIVE posts here, but it is hard not to. You said that few people here, including Capt. as Moderator are targeting you as "victim"; But since your 2nd post on this topic and all others already deleted, You are attacking people, accusing them of "duping", "Cheaters", "scripters" .

Really man, I will not make this post any longer about "you" but you really need to stop.
We already asked like 10x to stay on topic, about the Expansion ONLY and you always have to bring or put stuff back about others or yourself!!. What @Merlin said is the Sad true man, suck it up, There is a lot of people that play this game that Instead of invest 100 Hours to get what they want, they will pay for what they want... I done many times, I dont have the time to go Hunt for Legendary Items and If I see something that I want, I will pay for, if I dont have the 5 Billion gold, I will buy the gold, This is Life, You can accept if you want, You can adapt if you want or you can either stay quiet about or Quit...

Last edited:

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I guess I will follow your advice... and ignore the repeated messages against me personally. I put a very productive message out... and one it was replied to by Petra Fyde saying I said platinum would be duped, which I never said. ]
Maybe you did not mean to say it, but when you posted this ....

I do see an illogicality in my own reasoning... as they could dupe the platinum and exchange it for gold checks I guess...
Not unreasonably, people tend to read that as you thinking platinum could be duped...

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am really trying Not to answer All your NEGATIVE posts here, but it is hard not to. You said that few people here, including Capt. as Moderator are targeting you as "victim"; But since your 2nd post on this topic and all others already deleted, You are attacking people, accusing them of "duping", "Cheaters", "scripters" .

Really man, I will not make this post any longer about "you" but you really need to stop.
We already asked like 10x to stay on topic, about the Expansion ONLY and you always have to bring or put stuff back about others or yourself!!. What @Merlin said is the Sad true man, suck it up, There is a lot of people that play this game that Instead of invest 100 Hours to get what they want, they will pay for what they want... I done many times, I dont have the time to go Hunt for Legendary Items and If I see something that I want, I will pay for, if I dont have the 5 Billion gold, I will buy the gold, This is Life, You can accept if you want, You can adapt if you want or you can either stay quiet about or Quit...
You're replying to my reply to someone... like 3-4 pages ago. And 3 or 4 of you same guys keep replying to those old posts. Old Vet Back Again already told me that duping does not exist anymore, so that post isn't even relevant.... which Longtooths just said it does exist... so maybe it is relevant... I don't know. That said... I didn't say anything just now and you're replying to my reply to a post 3-4 pages ago... it's hard not to reply....

The reason for the negativity was because that was after about 3-4 of those reply, reply sessions where we were talking about EM-Sangria's reasons he told Atlantic chat that existed for the new gold system... because of website sellers. It was completely on topic...

That said I don't buy gold... I don't buy "items..." and I'm not going to buy your house outside of Luna now either. lol :) :)

Two things I'm not going to do is "Stay Quiet about it or Quit..." I don't listen to Atlantic Realtor... and I never said anything bad the past day without being replied to negatively first... nothing, zero negativity until someone says my understanding of game mechanics is daft... or until someone tells me to "Shut up or Quit." Yea... I get negative then... like it or not. I pay to play this game too... but sorry, I don't pay to win or buy my items if I see something I like. I'd rather leave that item for the real players... but some people are greedy and like those items, now don't they.... I wonder why 500 people play this game now with 5,000 accounts (10-12,000 inactive but pay every 3 months) instead of 100,000. Probably because of they come back and notice stuff... and mentioned stuff... and the expert commentators on here told them to "Be Quiet about it or Quit." I've played this game for forever... so I don't care to come back at Atlantic Realtor when he tells me to "Be Quiet...." after replying to my reply to a post 4 pages ago. You did so after thumbs upping half of Lord Frodo Old Vets and a few other people's posts too... so it's not like you didn't know what was up. You didn't have to keep it going, but you did......

Last edited:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are attacking people, accusing them of "duping", "Cheaters", "scripters" .
.......if I dont have the 5 Billion gold, I will buy the gold, This is Life, You can accept if you want, You can adapt if you want or you can either stay quiet about or Quit...
1 - I didn't accuse anyone on the forums of duping, cheating, or scripting.... I simply said that there were people going to IDOCs that did with 30 young players... and everyone knows this. It is why Mesanna and the Devs fixed the IDOCs with the last publish...
2 - If you see something you want you will "buy the gold" you say... well guess whose items you probably bought a lot of.... those items from (young) players that Mesanna and them fixed.
3 - Again... no I won't "Stay quiet about it or Quit."

Can we please go back to the publish now? What about what I said about the Royal Mint of Britain? What did you think about that Atlantic Realtor? ......

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked my idea of creating a single new bank in Britain, called the Royal Mint of Britain or something... and allowing players to take 50m gold checks to it for 1 platinum. No unnecessary UI changes... and a nice new "coin" that everyone could be proud of. Plus it allows role playing as you could take your gold there... cash it still, and so forth. :) :) I would have gotten a few of those platinum coins then too... and my trade window would be the same and it wouldn't had irked the ire of so many. Everyone would had been happy about that, some might say it didn't go far enough... but nobody would say it went too far.
Seriously? A platinum coin as stackable item, which can be excanged back into gold? 50 mil of gold per plat. coin? You really want to support dupers, eh?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a question about the Castle customising since I cant place one on test to try out,
When you lock the new walls and floors ect. down, do they count towards the lockdown limit?
I'd see this as a problem as that the real reason peeps have a castle with the high lockdowns, but if we then have to use 1000 to customise the place we are basically back to 18x18 lockdowns arnt we and might aswell get rid of castle and properly customise an 18x18...?

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a question about the Castle customising since I cant place one on test to try out,
When you lock the new walls and floors ect. down, do they count towards the lockdown limit?
I'd see this as a problem as that the real reason peeps have a castle with the high lockdowns, but if we then have to use 1000 to customise the place we are basically back to 18x18 lockdowns arnt we and might aswell get rid of castle and properly customise an 18x18...?
Take a peep at this Flik, might help :)
http://stratics.com/threads/new-craftables-testing.348455/#post-2586978

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Making it so 1 platinum = 100 million gold would still greatly reduce the hassle of dealing with lots of gold, while also allowing more players to have access to platinum.
Why they need access to platinum? It just pointless. Players can't put platinum in any form to display at home.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

So the gloves are off? Excellent! As long as the door swings both way I'm good with that!!!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I dunno. I don't think what you describe is really all that accurate. I mean, the last time we added any new skills or abilities (outside of bard masteries) was like 7 years ago, and the last time they added in new item properties was like a year after that. It's not some crazy cycle of ups and downs, it wasn't even that way in the days when we got yearly expansions. If you don't pvp so much of the game is completely voluntary. You can do 90% of the game solo with pretty basic gear, and really any kind of template you want, if you have just like... 3 friends, you can do anything. You don't have to be uber, you don't have to change anything if you don't want to. It's not like this is WoW where you MUST farm the right gear to move on to the next area, or do the next thing. It's vastly less restrictive.

That said, game b a MMO after all. If the game never ends, it needs to have content updates or people will just stop playing for want of things to do. After nearly 20 years you have to expect its going to get complex. Honestly I would call it "dense" rather than "complex" as much of it is still pretty straight forward. It only gets complicated when you start getting into the area of perfecting your suit or your template or both so you can solo bosses, something no one ever has to do for any reason other than they enjoy the challenge. Really you just pick your skills, grab a spell book or a sword and go whack at stuff till it dies, and that's about it. It's far less complex process than many other games.

As for "things that really expand the game", you are in really subjective water here. I like deco an all but I am much more interested in opportunities to create different kinds of characters, and to do things differently, to liven up my active play time. I mean I can only arrange items in my house for so many hours in any given month. The most of my time is out in the world doing something, and its great to have new things to go out and do, and new ways to go out and do it. Of course it all boils down to the same thing (kill the monsters) but ALL games are essentially like that. The reason for adding different methods to attain the same results is novelty and personal preference, opportunities to be creative. I mean if you boil your notion down the game should never have expanded beyond beta, they should have just added more plants and house tiles. Of course no one would still be playing, because the novelty of the experience would have dissipated over a decade ago.
You seem to think the game is kill monsters and decorate. That's exactly what I'm saying is the problem. That is the way the game seems to think also. Things like plant growing, house customization, etc should be part of every update. Something that opens a new door and moves us in a new direction. I got a ton of ideas along those lines and if the devs want a list I'll make it. I'll take my fee in platinum :) I much prefer that over making my toons more complex for no real reason. On another topic you addressed, you and I know if they make a situation where your character gets left behind if he doesn't learn the new "Bartering with gypsies" skill. Before we didn't need to barter with gypsies but now we do. It's not the case if you don't wanna do it don't. You have to if you want to or not and you know it.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Are we aware that Display Cases are in the Carpentry menu also? :rolleyes: so much for that ticket reward rare.
Oh that's just *great*. Could they design a new style case? Noooooo They on one hand encourage rares for the lotto winners that get event drops, but the rares the regular guy has a real chance of making 400K on they stomp on. There are no shortages of display cases in the game. They're just more than 100 gold. I complain about reusing old artwork then we got some horrid thing like the new neon plants. So I dunno. But this recycling rares into common stuff is just bs. There's a lot of art out there that's never been released if they can't get a grip on things like 4 foot coffee pots and plants that look like they're going to fall over and the perspective on is completely wrong. At least make a double wide display case or something new we could use. If your unable to get a grip on the art thing then give us all the jade animals, make death vortex craftable too. Just destroy that aspect of the game in one fell swoops over picking us to death slowly. Change the name, add replica (ugh), whatever, but make some attempt at originality. But that is sad too, Like you have a bottle, change the name and color and you got "Tears from a broken heart", it's a nice rare. Same bottle art but a little text and color and bam you there. Oh but that would require the slightest effort! We harp about these things and it happens over and over and over again. They simply don't care. It's so easy to recycle art and make that into a good thing if they have to do it, but they simply don't care. We had coffee mugs from coffee plants, drink the coffee get what was once a very rare ceramic mug! That could have become an empty ceramic coffee mug? That was an old school rare and another part of UO history disrespected.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I don't get why you see plants and house tiles as things that opens new doors, and abilities and equipment aren't. Of course the expansion has both things, so I don't really see where the argument started.

There isn't any "real reason" to anything in the game. The "real reason" is to enjoy yourself. You like designing houses, planting plants, etc... I do too. I ALSO enjoy coming up with different templates, using new skills and abilities, and hunting for different items. For example making a wrestling based warrior sounds like a lot of fun, even though it would be pathetically below par. Its a new choice, a new door has opened in my game play.

On another topic you addressed, you and I know if they make a situation where your character gets left behind if he doesn't learn the new "Bartering with gypsies" skill. Before we didn't need to barter with gypsies but now we do. It's not the case if you don't wanna do it don't. You have to if you want to or not and you know it.
No. I don't. Like I already said, I use gear that most prodo people would consider garbage (usually all mediocre imbued throw away suits, no artifacts), and I use whatever skills/items/pets feel fun to me. For example, I currently play a warrior without bushido and with 120 chiv, because I thought a shield would be more fun. It's clearly worse than a warrior with bushido... but it works just fine, and I can still do pretty much anything I feel like doing, and if I find a few peeps I can do anything. I have a tamer/archer ranger type character that only hunts with wolf spiders. I have never made a gargoyle, and I have no plans to do so despite the fact that throwing is one of the best skills, and part of some of the best templates. I've never used Mysticism despite the same reasons. Why? I didn't feel like it. I know many many people who play that way, and who make much less effort than I do, and they are all happy with their choices. Many of them even pvp. There is no competition in pvm, unless its to get an event drop, and frankly I really don't care too much about events.

For a long time people have been trying to push the idea that the game forces you to be whatever the current definition of "uber" is, that you must max your suit, that you must reforge, that you must use refinements, that you not only must fight bosses, you must be able to solo them, that you must do this or that, but it's pretty much completely untrue.

You could never use a mastery or any new uber we find i this expansion, and be just fine.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes Petra Fyde... did you understand what I typed? I was talking about my theoretical "better" design..... never said what you thought.
What I think about your 'better' design is best kept to myself.

I have studied this system well enough that I have written a page to help people understand it. I have no problems with it. Any other thoughts I have on the topic I'll keep to myself. Sharing them seems to be a bad idea.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I guess I don't get why you see plants and house tiles as things that opens new doors, and abilities and equipment aren't. Of course the expansion has both things, so I don't really see where the argument started.

There isn't any "real reason" to anything in the game. The "real reason" is to enjoy yourself. You like designing houses, planting plants, etc... I do too. I ALSO enjoy coming up with different templates, using new skills and abilities, and hunting for different items. For example making a wrestling based warrior sounds like a lot of fun, even though it would be pathetically below par. Its a new choice, a new door has opened in my game play.
I can only explain it so many ways then I'll have to give up :) You act like you know what I like, I don't think you do, anyway. Well ok, I'll tell ya. I deal rares. It's really good money. Even on a bad week I can make 5 mill without even trying, it adds up. If my place looks good, it gives people ideas on things they can buy from me :) So yeah those topics grab my attention. But I digress. The point with me is if you take an old skill and stand it on it's head your just wasting everyone's time. Your still going from A to B with the exact same results. You really think there's not enough variety in templates now??? Seriously??? How many is enough? Lets just make this game as completely complex and insane as possible. New lands... hunting for different items? Yeah I'm down with that but it's and entirely different topic. Those aren't grinding time wasters. That's fun. Reinventing my mage for the 5th time really isn't. Not when it circles back to I really can't do anything better than before. I still in the end can't accomplish anymore than I did before, I can only by changing still maintain the same effectiveness I use to have. That's nonsense. Little tired of spending millions and time cause suddenly my uber suit is junk and the jewels I spent forever obtaining are no longer in fashion. You like that? Super! YOUR ALL SET! You got your wish, and it appears you will continue to get your wish cause that's the fast and easy uncreative way to kick out an expansion. Heaven forbid we actually come up with an entirely new fresh idea in a new areas. You talk about the game getting old... how old is the idea of slamming on the head of a monster, the idea is older than UO. If I can sit here and come up with completely new never before done ideas I would think the people that are paid to do it all day could do the same. Innovation please, not repetitiveness +5. If you want an interesting and exciting game recreating characters isn't at the top of my list. That is old old old.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you ask me, a plat being equal to a bil is perfect - alot of high end rares sell for over a bil and you need a way to pay for them and it keeps it out of the way of normal stuff so you don't constantly have to figure out how many zeroes of gold vers plat - people would be getting that wrong constantly

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
first... tldr everything (when ppl started talking about typing speeds my eyes glazed)

I browsed the thread, looked at some useful things, and have been tinkering on TC. Here are my thoughts.

• Banking - I play a lot of other games with centralized banking of currencies. This is a move toward better management and modernization which I have some mixed feelings for, but see a lot of good in. It is a step in the right direction with some tweaks...
    • Please allow another, more private method, to check accurate and complete account balances. I really don't want people seeing how much gold/plat I have since the banker barks it out loud for everyone in the vicinity - nor do I want to know how much others have. (Although, I could get my beggar out and start pestering the uber-rich like that homeless guy at the intersection with the cardboard sign - HAH!)
    • Understandably, the new bank gump is okay, but perhaps make it a context-menu item from the banker (aka Bank Services - Bank Actions kinda kills the immersion a bit) instead of popping up every time I open my bank.
      • While I am hunting, I use the bank bag to move stuff over to the bank, particularly when I get high-end stuff or start to get heavry. Most times I will have to make several trips to get it all back to my home/vendors.
      • The new gump isn't much of a pain, but it is a distraction of sorts since it doesn't go away when I close my bank chest, or leave the bank itself.
    • @Petra Fyde - THANK YOU! Your page helped me understand things very thoroughly! Considering the currency is at the core of the game play, the Devs may want to expand on their explanations a bit more clearly of the new currency system and how it works in their own official documentation. Thanks again Petra!
  • Learning Masteries - Since we only need to use the level 3 book to learn levels 1 & 2, maybe change that to require that level 1 & level 2 are needed before level 3? Would make it more challenging and control how people attain them. Or is the delivery going to be similar to how we now get Power Scrolls? If so, I do not agree with that delivery system.
    • Masteries should be earned, not bought. If Mastery Books wind up on vendors, that would be very disappointing.
    • Players should have to complete some quest or whatever that challenges the base skills for the mastery, and then would get the level 1 book.
    • A certain time period should be enforced before level 2 can be earned, and after earning level 2, an even longer period before level 3 can be earned.
    • This will provide longevity to the system, and give those of us who desire a challenge more to do.
    • Of course, if you want to "make more money" for the game, it goes without saying that you can sell the levels via the Origin Store (or better yet, your own website!!). But I would definitely make them a bit more expensive than $5/$10/$15 for each level respectively. Perhaps more like $15/$30/$60?
  • New Building Craftables - I am so EXCITED for finally having a use for all the stone I mine! Thank you! :D

Overall, I'm pleased with part 1 of Pub90 - just need tweaks and I can see how this is going forward to hopefully keep UO a viable game into the future. Thank you Devs (@Mesanna , @Kyronix , @Bleak & the rest) for making the entitlements (so far) applicable to all active accounts. Will give us more of a reason to lure back friends.

As for all the other stuff people are yacking about (really, WPM?!?!) we all play UO our own way, is why we still play it after all these years. Would be nice if the convo would stay on track and quit getting derailed....

I suggest @Zuckuss make a new board for Pub90 (much like how was done for Pub80 I believe) to help keep things on track - then there is no need to sticky threads all over the place, people can create specific threads on certain topics and still keep it all in one place without all the UHall drama.

Just my dos centavos.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just basing my statements on the things you mentioned here, and in other threads, deco, house tiles, gardening/plants. I didn't mean to say you were this or that, may bad if I came across that way.

You see taking new looks at old skills as a waste of time, that finding new ways to accomplish the same goals is not of value. By that logic why ever expand skills at all? It's all just killing monsters in the end. Why not just have everyone have a broadsword, and have no skills? It all ends up the same. Obviously you are not for that, so I don't see why you are opposed to adding in new variables. Acomplishing a goal isn't the only thing. The WAY you acomplish it is just as, it not even more important. Allowing people to customize and use their creativity to suit their interests is a very desirable goal IMO.

Little tired of spending millions and time cause suddenly my uber suit is junk and the jewels I spent forever obtaining are no longer in fashion. You like that? Super! YOUR ALL SET!
I feel like you didn't read a lot of my previous responses. You say you don't want to spend millions seeking out the new uber. Then don't do it. I've already gone on at length on the topic of "uberness" being stupid. You don't need to change anything you don't want to change. The notion that an effective character today will suddenly poof into a cloud of useless ash the moment the expansion hits is simply incorrect. I've said this probably 1000 times on these forums and multiple times in this thread but ill say it again just to make my feelings crystal clear: You don't need to be anywhere near "uber" to do everything non pvp in this game. If you don't like the uber chase... stop chasing it.

You say building a new character/altering an old one isn't fun, but you don't qualify it with an -I don't find-, you state it objectively. It obviously IS fun to many people. It's fun to me. As for adding in new possibilities making the game more complex, I disagree. Dense does not necessarily mean complex. A Rubix Cube for example is complex, a pile of lego bricks is dense. The rubix cube has specific rules and you must follow them when you "play" with it. With legos you can build anything you feel like building, you can use you own imagination and make a janky looking house, or use detailed instructions and get a sweet looking castle, there are no rules and no right way to do it. Adding more bricks to the pile won't make it more complex, it will just give your creatively more potential routes to travel down. You never have to use bricks you don't find interesting. Masteries as I said before, if you don't like them, or find them too complex (somehow) don't use them. Simple as that. Many of us however are excited to try out new things.

You talk about the game getting old... how old is the idea of slamming on the head of a monster, the idea is older than UO. If I can sit here and come up with completely new never before done ideas I would think the people that are paid to do it all day could do the same. Innovation please, not repetitiveness +5. If you want an interesting and exciting game recreating characters isn't at the top of my list. That is old old old.
Make new content that's not only novel, but innovative! Easier done than said right?
I feel the same way about these kind of statements the way I do about people who say that if they were a MLB team manager or a GM then everything would be different and better. Of course we all have a lot of ideas about this game, and some may even be good, but the fact is we are operating behind a veil of ignorance. We don't know what it's like to actively design this game, we don't know the resources at hand... there are and endless list of factors we simply don't know about. It's also quite possible that our great ideas aren't as great as they seem in our heads.
I'm as critical of the devs as the next person, but I accept that doing a good job and pleasing a lot of people are not just finger snap easy, or even always feasibly possible.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Masteries should be earned, not bought. If Mastery Books wind up on vendors, that would be very disappointing.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I really hope masteries aren't the new power scrolls, especially when bard masteries are quest based.

I also second the notion of an expansion board.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good evening everybody!

I went through this whole thread and I came to the conclusion, that the new banking system is brillant, except for 1 point: I would have preferred 100 mil-units instead of 1 bil. With regard of the masteries I am inconsistent: I do not miss anything in the current system and I probably will not get masteries for all my chars.

Ah, and by the way: I AM BACK, MWAHAHAHAA!

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
err, maybe a bit off topic: BUT WHERE DID YOU ALL GET THOSE FANCY BADGES? "Stratics Veteran" with less than 200 posts? How that? Some people have ALOT bagdes - where do they come from? I wrote alot of posts and got tons of likes - no fancy badge for poor old Alzheimer?

Stubentiger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Make new content that's not only novel, but innovative! Easier done than said right?
Yes, No, Maybe...

I guess most of us don't expect dynamic szenarios like GW2.
But maybe a bit more dynamic spawn .. changing locations of spawn ... maybe a rotation ... killed the ratmen ... orcs move in?
Remember UO is supposed to be a sandbox and a bit more dynamic than themepark mmos.

:)

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC bugs (don't know about CC):

1) After opening a few containers/corpses they start to show as empty. Sometimes closing and opening them again shows the contents. But most of the time I have to shut down and restart in order to see the contents of containers again.

2) After a while some healthbars start showing up without the name of the person/critter on them.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I suggest @Zuckuss make a new board for Pub90 (much like how was done for Pub80 I believe) to help keep things on track - then there is no need to sticky threads all over the place, people can create specific threads on certain topics and still keep it all in one place without all the UHall drama.
Disagree, UHALL Is a great place for these discussions and it shouldn't be buried in another forum that no one goes to. This is currently going on and it's my opinion there are already too many unused forums. I like the specific threads and I like this thread. This whole power display of moving threads when it's not even necessary was the problem with the old regime. Maybe after the Pub90 is no longer relevant it should be moved.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
The new bank system it is Not bad at all and Prevent and further Gold Dupe!!
There will be No more checks, Only Virtual Amounts, Both Gold and the new Platinum, you will not have a Coin or Platinum check to trade, only as currency system!!

Your bank will "hold" 999.999.999 Gold and after that become 1 Platinum.

There is a lot of Items nowadays that sell for 250M, 500M, Houses that sell for 1B, 5B, 10B and Now those transactions will be so easy to handle, Just go to Trade window and choose the amount to transfer!!

And with the new system there is no need for Brokers anymore, as you can trade any amount on Trade window... The only need of a broker now, are for those that "Want to Duel for Money" type of players that will need someone to hold the "bet" lol

del55

Sage
Stratics Veteran
lol i have been reading this topic for a while and no one complains about speed hack and other game bugs. good job trammies, this is what u deserve. they should make more customization for ur damn castles.and u play with it.

this game is like wow+uo+samurai online+knight online.

ur only concern is more craftable decoration, decoration, decoration. or how will u store ur. EM Event drops or golds.

very good job trammies. anyways, lrts go back to topic: CASTLE CUSTOMIZATION.

WHY CANT I CUSTOMIZE MY CASTLE MORE AND.MORE WHYYYYY. I WONT RENEW MY SUBSCRIPTIONS. ;( I WANT MORE SMALL BEARS TAGGED "HUGS FROM UO TEAM" AND MORE CUSTOMIZATION FOR MY HOUSE.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Disagree, UHALL Is a great place for these discussions and it shouldn't be buried in another forum that no one goes to. This is currently going on and it's my opinion there are already too many unused forums. I like the specific threads and I like this thread. This whole power display of moving threads when it's not even necessary was the problem with the old regime. Maybe after the Pub90 is no longer relevant it should be moved.
I can see your point, but it would better serve not only the community but the devs as well if all of the conversations were in one place as was done for Pub80 - tbh, a lot of what is discussed in this thread could be split into several threads to help keep the conversations on topic and focused instead of being splintered and then have to deal with sidebar arguments/discussions/debates and rants.

Just my 2 cents, as I stated. No need get all in a huff. Is not a display of power, but a way to have everything in one place without having to lock stickie, I meant stickie a bunch of threads.

But as I said elsewhere, not my problem or my project anymore. *shrugs*

*meanders off to her own business again*

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I can see your point, but it would better serve not only the community but the devs as well if all of the conversations were in one place as was done for Pub80 - tbh, a lot of what is discussed in this thread could be split into several threads to help keep the conversations on topic and focused instead of being splintered and then have to deal with sidebar arguments/discussions/debates and rants.

Just my 2 cents, as I stated. No need get all in a huff. Is not a display of power, but a way to have everything in one place without having to lock stickie, I meant stickie a bunch of threads.

But as I said elsewhere, not my problem or my project anymore. *shrugs*

*meanders off to her own business again*
Apologies for the display of power comment. I certainly appreciate you and the majority of your peers.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
no worries - is all good. part of why had "merged" so much into the main boards/UHall while I was admin was to keep the lively convos... well, lively.

anyhoo... back to the currency/expansion stuffs, eh? ;)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay so I tried to do a google search for trade windows in online games..didn't find much but...

View attachment 35565

So ok...our new trade window is a bit big...BUT I like it..the current one, half the things you trade you can't see the top half of.
still cant see things in the new window. it cuts them off just like the old.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, No, Maybe...

I guess most of us don't expect dynamic szenarios like GW2.
But maybe a bit more dynamic spawn .. changing locations of spawn ... maybe a rotation ... killed the ratmen ... orcs move in?
Remember UO is supposed to be a sandbox and a bit more dynamic than themepark mmos.

:)
I mean obviously they can always do better, but to be fair we haven't even seen all of the stuff in this expansion.