• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO.Com] Publish 90 Part 1 Time of legends

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The new updates based on my current (needs a 5 month hazing period) analysis is...

1) Tamer's are going to get a ton of event items.
2) Castles are awesome (don't have one) and keeps suck... sucks to be me. lmao
3) Stealth/Ninja is the way to go for felucca IDOCs.
4) PvP sucks again, because I haven't even gotten use to the new, old.. wait... doubly old system now known as the "triply" old system yet. All of my armor suits are from 4 *major* patches ago... :p :p

Can't we just have a new land and new monsters... fully customize our castles/keeps (Is a good thing) without any additional updates? Armor and new skill masteries and a new bank gump... kind of take away from the feel of what Ultima has been for at least 8-9 years now. I hate scripters and $$$ sellers more than anybody... and Sangria explained to me the purposes... and while I agreed then, after thinking it over... how are these changes going to prevent money transfers to begin with?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The new updates based on my current (needs a 5 month hazing period) analysis is...

1) Tamer's are going to get a ton of event items.
2) Castles are awesome (don't have one) and keeps suck... sucks to be me. lmao
3) Stealth/Ninja is the way to go for felucca IDOCs.
4) PvP sucks again, because I haven't even gotten use to the new, old.. wait... doubly old system now known as the "triply" old system yet. All of my armor suits are from 4 *major* patches ago... :p :p

Can't we just have a new land and new monsters... fully customize our castles/keeps (Is a good thing) without any additional updates? Armor and new skill masteries and a new bank gump... kind of take away from the feel of what Ultima has been for at least 8-9 years now. I hate scripters and $$$ sellers more than anybody... and Sangria explained to me the purposes... and while I agreed then, after thinking it over... how are these changes going to prevent money transfers to begin with?
The only real point of the bank thing was to remove checks from the system so they couldn't be duped. That's ALL they wanted to do. Had to be an easier way cause this really hurts the immersion factor like your referring to. Not to mention making it overly complicated for no real reason. Broadsword really gives me the impression they don't "get UO". I fully realize I'm being a bit of an ass tonight but I'm super disappointed and I keep feeling people are mucking with this game and really can't get a grip on the damage they're doing. They let Ems "decorate" towns and just so much annoying stuff goes on.I think I've stayed at the party too long. I'm tired of promises and getting my hopes crashed. I know Garriott is making a new thing and I should probably be checking it out. He's the one that had the real vision. And it's not just any one thing by it's self. It's the little straws that keep dropping on the camels back.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If that was the point... then there is absolutely no reason for the new banking system, that is ridiculous. One of those blue sphinxes sells for about a hundred bucks compared to their fifteen cent gold.... I hate scripters... so don't get me wrong. I have written more emails to Mesanna about (young) people who are scripters than anyone in history, I promise... lol. I do see how it can help dry up the gold in game... but I think there are some people with over 100 billion still, from the looks of things. And those characters already have the new 2 billion gold suits, so they are going to get all of the new event items anyway....

So with reasoning perhaps... their 10-30 billions of gold will gradually dry up... then they will dupe a Sphinx and sell it for gold, and recuperate their loses? They still have the best items in game and that cannot be fixed ever. They have the best suits so they will keep getting the event items now, based on changes the EMs themselves made with the last armor patch... It sucks trying so hard at a game for 5 years... and walking through Luna looking at the lawyer's (or scripter... who knows') house full of items though. Rich people and scripters ruined this game... bad reasoning made it worse. I was so happy finally 2 years ago. Can't we revert to take away the brittle armor? :/ Imbuing was enough... it took smarts... and money cannot buy that.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm - if you could get into the keep voids, and lay down the new floor/wall pieces, could you then use the crafted teleporters to access the rooms?

Or for that matter, couldn't something be done like the rat holes?
Shhhh! Stop making sense or you'll be forced to ban yourself.

Mouse holes have been broken since 2012 anyway... :sad4:

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Game
August 27, 2015 - 12:12am

• *New Currency Type* Platinum has been minted. A platinum is valued at 1 billion gold. Once a player’s gold account reaches a balance of 1 billion gold, it will automatically convert to 1 platinum.

Continue reading...
Does anyone else think this is just completely stupid?? How many people in game have 1billion gold? How many items cost 1 billion gold?

So you have a new currency that impacts about 1% of the players.

Why would you not make 1 platinum = 1 MILLION gold???

Then even if you wanted to trade for something that was 1 BILLION gold you would just need 1,000 platinum. Simple.

As it is, platinum will not be used. How does it help you buy a 30 million gold item? It doesn't. However, 1 plat = 1m gold = 30 platinum pieces.

I just don't understand this exchange rate in the least. Its completely asinine. Its like the US government saying 'ok, its hard to buy expensive things with $20 bills so we are introducing a $1M bill. How about a $1000 bill instead of $1M? Then its actually useful.

*shakes head*

I wish our dev team played the game. Ever.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm farting around on TC and have no idea how to even see how much gold I have. Nor do I have any idea how to access any masteries I've used the book for.

This new bank gump is way too ugly to throw in peoples face every time they open their bank. It's only used for transfers and the wall safe thing, why would we need to see it every time? And I'm nowhere close to understanding the wall safe or why it needs its own separate account.

panoramix2009

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think most people assumed they were going to be able to fully customize the castles and keeps or at the very least were going to be able to knock down the dumb walls at the door of the castle and the dumb grass areas of the keep.

I think the new crafting stuff for castles and keeps are cool but will be a let down to a lot of people.

Looks like goza floors above the castles and keeps will still be the way to go for most.
View attachment 35470

is legal or no make room with goza cause i see

• There are limits to the maximum elevation these crafted items can be placed. Players found to be exploiting these limits will find themselves subject to GM action.
    ????

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
If that was the point... then there is absolutely no reason for the new banking system, that is ridiculous. One of those blue sphinxes sells for about a hundred bucks compared to their fifteen cent gold.... I hate scripters... so don't get me wrong. I have written more emails to Mesanna about (young) people who are scripters than anyone in history, I promise... lol. I do see how it can help dry up the gold in game... but I think there are some people with over 100 billion still, from the looks of things. And those characters already have the new 2 billion gold suits, so they are going to get all of the new event items anyway....

So with reasoning perhaps... their 10-30 billions of gold will gradually dry up... then they will dupe a Sphinx and sell it for gold, and recuperate their loses? They still have the best items in game and that cannot be fixed ever. They have the best suits so they will keep getting the event items now, based on changes the EMs themselves made with the last armor patch... It sucks trying so hard at a game for 5 years... and walking through Luna looking at the lawyer's (or scripter... who knows') house full of items though. Rich people and scripters ruined this game... bad reasoning made it worse. I was so happy finally 2 years ago. Can't we revert to take away the brittle armor? :/ Imbuing was enough... it took smarts... and money cannot buy that.
If duping still exists, people seem to think it does, like you say they'll dupe big money items and the money will still flow to the cheaters. Now from what it looks like the sky is the limit. Things could sell for billions now. I can't imagine a new player walking into this mess this game has become and try and figure it out. And don't get me started on that whole brittle fiasco and jewels wearing out and stuff. All unnecessary nonsense. Is there a tinker somewhere getting rich off fixing jewels? I just came back from looking at the bank again and it makes no sense to me what so ever. It's not intuitive. It does talk a lot of Greek when you hover over the text but it still doesn't make much sense. You can say balance at least and get a total lol. Haven't used that in ages. Or check the insurance menu. I thought I didn't have a dime on test center but I guess they had gave me millions. Who knew? lol

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm farting around on TC and have no idea how to even see how much gold I have. Nor do I have any idea how to access any masteries I've used the book for.

This new bank gump is way too ugly to throw in peoples face every time they open their bank. It's only used for transfers and the wall safe thing, why would we need to see it every time? And I'm nowhere close to understanding the wall safe or why it needs its own separate account.
Say balance to a banker or check your item insurance menu. Your rich it turns out ;)

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Garriot's new game sucks though it looks like... and 1 character and not MMO. Plus, my whole family plays this game! It is where I met my wife... I hate going to events each week, and like last week at the Pacific event... I killed almost every small mob with my sampire... got to the boss, then someone used the CC glitch or something to crash my client, so right at the boss my game crashed when I ran to attack the main boss. Logged back in dead... no swamp dragon, and 10 people got the items... probably all with Tamers or 2b gold suits... I have yet to get a single event item to date, except the red/green crystals that I got about 15 of each....

It was so great two years ago... before the new item system. Glad the rich peeps like it, gives them an edge over the nerds and the poor. Sorry if I'm complaining much... I take changes to Ultima extremely personal. I still have not even gotten 1 brittle suit built, I have about 3 20m gold pieces building one up and saving those until it's finished. Now I guess I'll re-change everything since it's all changing pvp and pvm wise. Time to just make my Tamer's suit and get over not getting event items still, since someone will have a 2b gold suit anyway. :/

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
is legal or no make room with goza cause i see

• There are limits to the maximum elevation these crafted items can be placed. Players found to be exploiting these limits will find themselves subject to GM action.
    ????
Who knows whats legal or not... better yet... who knows whats enforced or not. I for one cant tell. Id be pretty pissed if they are letting people get away with multi boxing and scripting but are going to start enforcing goza floors... Not too mention i have a nice Email from mesanna stating they are in fact legal as long as you are not blocking vendors or peoples houses.

But @panoramix2009 your guess is as good as mine with the new changes... I guess only time will tell.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to mention making it overly complicated for no real reason.
After the whole armor refinement thing, and looking back at how things have been done. It seems to me that someone, somewhere has the idea that complicated = good, which is actually the opposite. I think that this is just another step in that direction.

By making a couple of small changes, the armor refinement system could have been simpler and close to the same. Maybe they are like my son's teachers and put out a 12 page syllabus for a 6th grader that's full of big unnecessary words and overly complicated language that isn't needed, in order to impress someone?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Billion to one platinum rate is absurd and just the very fact of it is depressing and makes one think very badly of how blown out the economy is. Should be 100k or a mil absolute tops.

Using "balance" at the bank like this and getting three paragraphs barked at you isn't acceptable. Why not put those numbers on that huge ugly gump? Speaking of which, that needs to be like half as big.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Technically... I haven't even re-built my double axes for my sampire yet. They are all still 500 imbuing weight capped... except for 1 bladed staff (physical dmg) that I built for him. Too many changes too fast... too little time to play... too sour when I do. It's all about items and house decorating; and when you can't get the items, it just kind of sucks. Here's to 2b gold suits... *cheers.* :p This will be my last complaint of the night guys, sorry to sour the mood... I'm gonna go play some Ultima. :p

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"There are limits to the maximum elevation these crafted items can be placed. Players found to be exploiting these limits will find themselves subject to GM action."

Hey at @Kyronix what are the limits? Is it just where you can place it or can we not use the interior decorator after words? If we can use the interior decorator how high can we go? Is it as high as the walls go on a 4 story custom?

Or are these being treated like goza mat floors? Where they are good to go unless they are blocking someones vendors, house, access etc...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
"There are limits to the maximum elevation these crafted items can be placed. Players found to be exploiting these limits will find themselves subject to GM action."

Hey at @Kyronix what are the limits? Is it just where you can place it or can we not use the interior decorator after words? If we can use the interior decorator how high can we go? Is it as high as the walls go on a 4 story custom?

Or are these being treated like goza mat floors? Where they are good to go unless they are blocking someones vendors, house, access etc...
It's very simple. It's not a problem unless it's a problem. Then we'll delete your house and shortly after that send you an email to fix it :p

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Billion to one platinum rate is absurd and just the very fact of it is depressing and makes one think very badly of how blown out the economy is. Should be 100k or a mil absolute tops.

Using "balance" at the bank like this and getting three paragraphs barked at you isn't acceptable. Why not put those numbers on that huge ugly gump? Speaking of which, that needs to be like half as big.

No kidding. I could not figgure out where to see my balance. I don't want to have to run to a bank everytime to see it. I should be able to see it on my paperdoll or character stats at all times.

Regarding the gump - yes, its completely ridiculous and designed by an intern.

Should look like this :

Character Transfer Account
Gold - 1,000,000 + Platinum - 0 +
Secure Account
Gold - 2,000,000 +

Press the plus to add more, press the minus to withdraw. No complex wording needed. Four lines. Is this stuff really that hard?

And again - Platinum should be 1 plat per 1Million gold. Not Billion.

Last edited:

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WHY....is there no Theif mastery? Once again theives get a big fat BOOT TO THE HEAD!

Last edited:

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Maybe two more currencies should be introduced instead of just 1. One for 1 million and another for 1 billion? Anyway if people really want to can't they just dupe Platinum now? I don't like checks either, but will really solve the issue? Just saying...

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the new castle/keep stone stuff is nice if, does it decay when they fall? it better lol. also shift/control, will bring up bars for every piece that is placed ? please make carpet and goza decay when place drops. it is free so would just like to know and maybe improve things ty

edit, please someone reply about the new stone stuff decaying or not when place falls thanks lol

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those of you who thought you were soon to be knocking walls out or getting a clean castle "plot" I guess you need to get your eyes examined...
I clearly read at not just one Meet and Greet Mesanna answering this question.
NO you cant have a caslte plot or knock walls in old house formats. It cant be done.
I understand your wants and needs in this area i too am not happy that those keep walls cant be taken out or modified. But i did read her reason why it cant be done and understand it is not her want to hold us back... its the old code in which they were made.
I for one do not want to wake up one day and find i got holes in my caslte wall or floor because a publish to do what you want messed up the whole set up to create a nightmare! So leave it be.
There is a silver lining thou...
Mesanna did say at quite a few she was considering looking at different styles of castles and keeps *psst * she too dislikes the keep look ....

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well darn, there goes the Devs killing another wonderful aspect of UO.
I say "lum lum lum" on almost a daily basis now I can't do so without suffering a huge penalty!

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Maybe two more currencies should be introduced instead of just 1. One for 1 million and another for 1 billion? Anyway if people really want to can't they just dupe Platinum now? I don't like checks either, but will really solve the issue? Just saying...
It's a non-physical number, not an item. That's like saying people are going to dupe their mana.

Reactions: Vor

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
And seriously, why isn't this gump just a list of our three balances with deposite and withdrawl buttons next to each?

Also, oh my god it just keeps sinking in, how f**ked is the economy that they added a secondary currency and the conversion rate is A BILLION TO ONE.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix

I assume the mastery spells are optional and not always active? The "combat training" taming one specifically. I hope so! Else it will cause real balance issues between tamers and non tamers in the Europa (Battle)Chicken League!

Everything else is pretty awesome looking though. Really looking forward to this expansion. Did I read someplace there is new clothing and hair options too?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

I assume the mastery spells are optional and not always active? The "combat training" taming one specifically. I hope so! Else it will cause real balance issues between tamers and non tamers in the Europa (Battle)Chicken League!

Everything else is pretty awesome looking though. Really looking forward to this expansion. Did I read someplace there is new clothing and hair options too?
It depends which ability it is. Some are activated and some are passive. The passive for animal taming is boarding, which gives you more stable slots.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. Must be pretty early for you over there in the US.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

There is a Europa Battle Chicken LEAGUE! Why have I not heard of this. :eyes:

Shoutout to @Kyronix for being on point with responses.

Give Castles a chance, No, its not a customizable 24x24, but still more options than we had before.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They'll stay in the stable, you just won't be able to add any additional once you've reached your max.
Makes sense, though in practice this means that any tamer will benefit from Boarding: get your pets from the stables, switch to a different mastery while you go hunting, then switch back to Boarding before stabling the pets again and logging out.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If anyone wants a preview of the map of Eodon:

Open the Ter Mur facet map file facet05.dds - you'll see that the Eodon map has been added in the blank space between the Abyss and Ter Mur maps :)

The map of Eodon looks recreated faithfully from the Savage Empire game, except for the Savage Empire dungeons.

I don't see any obvious candidate for Shadowguard either. Perhaps those strange circles in the rock in the southwest? The Time of Legends map in Ultima II was also circular...

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest making the huge yellow box an option that can be turned off. Its very intrusive and annoying as it is right now. While useful, most players wont be using this much. definitely not everyday. Id suggest an extremely small icon that can be expanded when needed rather than this, or an option to turn it off entirely.

there also NEEDS to be a way to see your account balance without clicking anything. it doesnt make sense that i can open my bank box and not see how much gold i have.

Francis Drake

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
there also NEEDS to be a way to see your account balance without clicking anything. it doesnt make sense that i can open my bank box and not see how much gold i have.
What he said

I love the new trade window, here you actually see how much money you have. something similar to that could/should be added to the bank box

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest making the huge yellow box an option that can be turned off. Its very intrusive and annoying as it is right now. While useful, most players wont be using this much. definitely not everyday. Id suggest an extremely small icon that can be expanded when needed rather than this, or an option to turn it off entirely.

how do you get your balance on the live shard?

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a Europa Battle Chicken LEAGUE! Why have I not heard of this. :eyes:
Yes. Every other monday at the ECL arena in Zento. Season 9 currently. 3rd match of the season next Monday. I've just taken over running it this season. For the last x number of years it's been run by @Aurelius

Feel free to enter King Greg.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Just say balance at the bank...isn't that what we've always done? Still works...

upload_2015-8-27_7-9-59.png

No clicking required :)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
From a coding stand point, the 1 billion gold to 1 platinum makes sense.
Unsigned 32 bit integers can only hold numbers up to 4 billion, and given how old the server code is, compiling it in 64 bit to make better use of 64 bit variables can cause a whole slew of problems (again, old code), and while there are 64 bit integers available in 32 bits system, they can come with some rather serious performance hit, specially when you have lots of them.