• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The One and Only Pre-UOR Thread! Update -- 3 Polls of Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Never

I personally havent played UO since 2001 or so. I would play and old UO rules shard. I will however never come back to play this new game they still call UO. I come here ever so often to read about the new changes, and I never like what i read hehe.

The only difficulty I see on a preren shard, is making everyone happy on what time to use it. I loved the guild tags and lockdowns didnt bother me. But personally I didnt like the whole murder title and statlosss. I like back before that when it Was Great lords with Chaos shields and they where equipped on your back and you could cast with em :)

I loved the whole dreadlord-greatlord battles. Something that stat loss took away.
But I would still come back even if it was the publish you guys where talking about.

G

Gareth420

All I was saying is that it sounds great to go back in time. In reality it will not be the same.

C

completewhois

Doesn't it seem like UO: Gold or the Origin shard should have offered classic T2A shards?

Its as if somone chickened out at the last minute and just produced yet another regular shard and another copy of AOS.

S

Spelunk

So I listened to part of the D.C Meeting on UORadio. I heard one player mention a pre-UO: R shard, but she was blown off by the Devs. Was anything of any substance regarding a pre-UO: R shard said by the Devs? Did anyone ask about it?

M

MinorMage

<blockquote><hr>

So I listened to part of the D.C Meeting on UORadio. I heard one player mention a pre-UO: R shard, but she was blown off by the Devs. Was anything of any substance regarding a pre-UO: R shard said by the Devs? Did anyone ask about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

There will be no pre-ren shard.

IMO, they don't have the resources.

G

Leuciron posted he would like to see a Pre-UOR shard, that is a good sign!

I think last night's answer to the Pre-UOR question should make clear to everyone that a shard is a possibility. We may not see it very soon, but I can see it happening after this expansion. They just don't seem to have the time to do the programming with the expansion coming up fast.

H

Hohbein

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

There will be no pre-ren shard.

IMO, they don't have the resources.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its EA.. they're one of the biggest gaming giants in the industry. They're the microsoft of the gaming world, they do have the resources. AFAIK EA dont currently run any other MMORPG other than UO.. and UO is dying fast, and wont be around for much longer than a year tops. Why the hell dont they get they're heads out of they're arses and see the light, people dont want a new crappy idiotic UO, they want it back to how it used to be, with no silly changes and no bloody flourescent weaponry (really what the hell is that about).

as i said in my previous post, if EA bought out a new game named UO:2 - The Old Days of Britannia (or something like that), and made it identical to the way UO used to be pre-UO:R, they'd make millions. i'd be confident that it'd knock WoW and EQ off the top spots and claim its spot as best MMORPG of all time (as we all know it used to be).

plus, it'd be bloody easy for EA to do! its not like they'd be writing a game from scratch! they've spent the last 4 years destroying it for god sakes! how hard can it be to wipe all the crap they've created and give us back UO as it was? certainly not more difficult than writing a game from new.

Z

Zeitgeist

<blockquote><hr>

as i said in my previous post, if EA bought out a new game named UO:2 - The Old Days of Britannia (or something like that), and made it identical to the way UO used to be pre-UO:R, they'd make millions. i'd be confident that it'd knock WoW and EQ off the top spots and claim its spot as best MMORPG of all time (as we all know it used to be).

plus, it'd be bloody easy for EA to do! its not like they'd be writing a game from scratch! they've spent the last 4 years destroying it for god sakes! how hard can it be to wipe all the crap they've created and give us back UO as it was? certainly not more difficult than writing a game from new.

[/ QUOTE ]

I somewhat agree. UO had very unique features that no other mmorpg had, skill system, houses, ability to be anything...

Yet they ruined it with AoS. With that said if they did something similar after the Ren patch (people don't like unconsentual pvp) but without mirror lands and all that, it would be great. Updated 2005 graphics and I think UO would become one of the most popular mmorpgs.

O

OmgpwnedWinter

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I somewhat agree. UO had very unique features that no other mmorpg had, skill system, houses, ability to be anything...

Yet they ruined it with AoS. With that said if they did something similar after the Ren patch (people don't like unconsentual pvp) but without mirror lands and all that, it would be great. Updated 2005 graphics and I think UO would become one of the most popular mmorpgs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether you are a pvper or not, non consentual pvp brings an added risk to the game that was lost after the map split. I'm also a firm believer that risk builds communities.

H

Hohbein

<blockquote><hr>

Whether you are a pvper or not, non consentual pvp brings an added risk to the game that was lost after the map split. I'm also a firm believer that risk builds communities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Non Consentual PvP was what made UO the best. And risk most definatly does build communities.. in UO in order to survive you HAD to make friends, a complete loner wouldnt last long or get very far outside the protection of town guards! but that was the beauty! the community was so real, so full and flavoursome.. friends werent just people you met up with to go grind lvls with, friends were people you counted on and relied on for nearly everything.

Z

Zeitgeist

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a die hard supporter of a pre-ren shard since the opening of UO:R, I loved it then, but the fact is people don't like being gangbanged and killed.

The old days pks would run around trying to gangbang miners, it was sick. It was often pks preying on newbies, not people their skill level, that's why OSI did something. I think stats loss controlled it well enough, however. But the sad fact is often young kids and their pk characters would run around killing newbies and crafters and run from fair fights.

I

imported_hotdogsrgross

I have avoided this thread for awhile. I would prefer to see pub15. Or 16. But if we get Pre UO:R, that would be cool too. Either one would have me there.

G

Good to finally have you on board!

Just updated the topic thread with the results of three polls and an encouraging comment from Leucrion (I will have his name correct someday).

G

Gareth420

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Non Consentual PvP was what made UO the best. And risk most definatly does build communities.. in UO in order to survive you HAD to make friends, a complete loner wouldnt last long or get very far outside the protection of town guards! but that was the beauty! the community was so real, so full and flavoursome.. friends werent just people you met up with to go grind lvls with, friends were people you counted on and relied on for nearly everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I do not understand if everything was so gumdrop smiles and rainbows pre uor why did they bother making trammel? I mean communities were everywhere everyone helped everyone it was a virtual utopia. Why then bother making a trammel ruleset? I think you were smoking something back then because it was FAR from some utopia where player justice ruled and everyone got along with everyone etc etc.

-edit- This is also why the shard will never succeed in my opinion. There will still be no sheep on this shard. Pre uor you could not choose to play somewhere there were no thieves or PKs. Thats the major flaw I see in this whole thing. It will be like anything else in UO. Popular for a couple months then once everyone sees there are no sheep and realize it is not 1999 it will fade away.

H

Hohbein

<blockquote><hr>

What I do not understand if everything was so gumdrop smiles and rainbows pre uor why did they bother making trammel? I mean communities were everywhere everyone helped everyone it was a virtual utopia. Why then bother making a trammel ruleset? I think you were smoking something back then because it was FAR from some utopia where player justice ruled and everyone got along with everyone etc etc.

-edit- This is also why the shard will never succeed in my opinion. There will still be no sheep on this shard. Pre uor you could not choose to play somewhere there were no thieves or PKs. Thats the major flaw I see in this whole thing. It will be like anything else in UO. Popular for a couple months then once everyone sees there are no sheep and realize it is not 1999 it will fade away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did they bother making trammel? To increase they're fanbase of course. They were 'trying' to compete with other up and comming 'big' MMORPGs such as EQ.. where pvp was purely consentual, and could only take place when a player specified. Hense trammel being the land of PvE and safety, and Feluca being the land of PvP and risk, where players only had to go if they wanted to pvp. Basically, EA were being greedy gits and trying to expand the game to appeal to as many people as they possibly could. which, coinsidently was the death of the game, haha (in nelsons voice from the simpsons).

When did I say Pre UO:R UO was a virtual utopia? your putting words into my mouth, very wrong words. it was the complete opposite, which is why it was so FUN! who wants to play in a world of safety, with no risk and no excitement? i bloody dont! which is why every single MMORPG i've played since pre UO:R hasnt been able to keep me for longer than 6 months! UO was the only game where you could be griefed horribly by someone.. then come back with LOTS of friends, and kill the griefer, all his friends AND his pet horse JUST FOR FUN! it does not GET better than that!

The point isnt that UO was a utopia, the point is that UO as it was, was groundbreaking. It really did bring people together in a way that hasnt been accomplished since its demise (trammel/fel). I've made some very good friends in UO, and yet i've not made a single friend in any other MMORPG i've played that i'd keep in touch with. what does that say? it says UO had a REAL community, it had a spirit of togetherness that you cannot, and will not find unless there is risk involved in a game.

I cannot physically see why you would be against a Pre UO:R shard Gareth, the only thing i can think of is you cant have played Pre UO:R much if atall, and if you did you must have been getting the VERY wrong end of the stick. Why would you want to keep the current UO? its a laughing stock, its the biggest pile of horse [censored] i've 'ever' come across.

G

Geerlings

I would reactivate my account the day the server came up. It has been inactive for over 2 years. I can't imagine a single event in the PC-Gaming community that could make me happier than a pre-UO:R server, because frankly, that was my favorite time with any PC game, ever. :D

Please Leucroian? Break some arms or something, get it to happen. I'll &lt;3 you forever and ever.

G

Gareth420

I like UO the way it is now. I played pre ren and honestly I quit within the 90 period like most other people. It really was fun for the PKs not so much fun for people who just wanted to have fun and not at other's expense. Trammel made it so everyone could enjoy the game but most importantly it took away the sheep. Thats been debated going on 6 years now.

What if you did not have ALOT of friends to go and gank some guy whos friends ganked you? What if you did not know anyone and everyone you met first chance they got killed you and laughed at you?

I remember when uor came out I was sent the game free and reactivated my account. It was pretty awesome to be able to mine wihtout some guy coming along killing your crafter every 2 minutes. Everyone else agreed except for the few that got off on griefing other players. Fact is on this shard you still will not have any sheep. It will be all bad guys and no good guys. The few battles you do get in will be with people just as prepared as you are for battle. It will not be the same and you will tire of it with a quickness.

O

OmgpwnedWinter

<blockquote><hr>

I like UO the way it is now. I played pre ren and honestly I quit within the 90 period like most other people. It really was fun for the PKs not so much fun for people who just wanted to have fun and not at other's expense. Trammel made it so everyone could enjoy the game but most importantly it took away the sheep. Thats been debated going on 6 years now.

What if you did not have ALOT of friends to go and gank some guy whos friends ganked you? What if you did not know anyone and everyone you met first chance they got killed you and laughed at you?

I remember when uor came out I was sent the game free and reactivated my account. It was pretty awesome to be able to mine wihtout some guy coming along killing your crafter every 2 minutes. Everyone else agreed except for the few that got off on griefing other players. Fact is on this shard you still will not have any sheep. It will be all bad guys and no good guys. The few battles you do get in will be with people just as prepared as you are for battle. It will not be the same and you will tire of it with a quickness.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one wants to take away your current UO. Some of us just want an OPTION to play an EA Pre UO:R server.

That's all. This UO cake has 100 pieces. We just want one slice..the rest of the people can have the other 99. Spare us a crumb will ya?

Besides, a pre UO:R server would make EA so much money it'd make a neon pack beetle runic hiryu 47% lightning charged bod powerscroll bushido ninja's head spin!

I

imported_Riply

Hello everyone!
I was at the DC meet up on June 2nd. I was the second the very last to ask the panel questions. My first comments were about having a Pre UOR shard and I explained to them that a shard such as this would be a welcome change from the normal shards of today. That many of the vets remember the days of the dungeon crawls and the even playing fields with out the arties etc that we have today. They listened and explained that the possibitlity of such a shard can be done and that they are looking into this very seriously, but that one of the main hold ups is they have to get a seperate server just for this particular shard with differant hard ware then they currently have. I truely believe they are looking into the matter and are listening to the players but of course not dates or timetables were made on this matter. I foregot to mention that an extra housing slot for players who play this shard along with thier normal shard would be nice.
On a side note one of my other wishes was to be able to make our own basements for our houses using the mining skill. I was quite shocked when some of the members started to smile and to point to one of the panel members. It turns out that she was working on such a new feature but that it had to be placed as a possible future project. But just the idea that one of the members had been working on such a project gives me some hope it might get down one day.

G

Gareth420

I never said anything about taking away my UO lol. You have to actually read what I write man.

Few points I was trying to make...

1.) There will be no sheep on this pre uor server. It will not be the same as 1999 because it is not 1999. The only people who will be on this server are you and people just like you. You will not be able to steal from them they are not stupid they know all the tricks. They will be as ready as you to fight and when you loot them you will get nothing worth anything. This will get old fast.

2.) Where would they put this server? The main thing I hear from vets is that they do not ping well to siege so thats why they do not play there. Its one server where would you put it?

3.) As the dev team member said it would take a totally different server to run this with its own team. Need its own GMs also I would assume. They would spend 90% of the dev time on something that might generate 10% of the total income from the game.

I would honestly be shocked to see it happen. Never did I say that they would somehow take away my UO. Also there are not so many slices of this cake as you think. I know you guys think this would be some sort of cash cow for them but I see it being exciting for about 3 months and then it will lose its luster. People will realize its not 1999 anymore.

O

OmgpwnedWinter

<blockquote><hr>

I never said anything about taking away my UO lol. You have to actually read what I write man.

1.) There will be no sheep on this pre uor server. It will not be the same as 1999 because it is not 1999. The only people who will be on this server are you and people just like you. You will not be able to steal from them they are not stupid they know all the tricks. They will be as ready as you to fight and when you loot them you will get nothing worth anything. This will get old fast.

2.) Where would they put this server? The main thing I hear from vets is that they do not ping well to siege so thats why they do not play there. Its one server where would you put it?

3.) As the dev team member said it would take a totally different server to run this with its own team. Need its own GMs also I would assume. They would spend 90% of the dev time on something that might generate 10% of the total income from the game.

I would honestly be shocked to see it happen. Never did I say that they would somehow take away my UO. Also there are not so many slices of this cake as you think. I know you guys think this would be some sort of cash cow for them but I see it being exciting for about 3 months and then it will lose its luster. People will realize its not 1999 anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

In response to...

1.) Not everyone that wants a pre UO:R server is a wolf looking for sheep. Don't assume that you know anything about 'people like me'. You mention that the server would be filled with people that know all the tricks....I take that as being a level playing field. That's a good thing for those that actually like risk vs reward instead of reward reward reward reward reward.

2.) I would say anywhere in North America simply to spite you.

3.) They can place dumbed down automated GM messages on the pre UO:R server and perhaps, if they marketed it right, veterans that may have been GMs in the past would do it for free. As for the server, I think EA can afford to invest a tad in order to turn a profit.

Yes, I've decided, you DO need a man hug! I bet if you were as passionate about politics as you were about criticizing a pre UO:R server you'd have united all the countries in Europe and would be the Supreme Ruler by now!

P

PK Ghost

OK, well let me get a few things out of the way before I post. I was the first Raistlin Majere of Baja, an oldschool PK. I always looked for a more skilled mage to PK because I enjoyed a challenge, not a miner or a lumberjack. I played before T2A and straight through to UOR. I quit when UOR was released, tried EQ for two weeks, broke that CD, and went back to UO, settling for the new bull**** PvP style with nurfs to the best builds and best duels UO had ever seen. I played UOR all the way through to AOS, purchased AOS, played it for half a day, and quit OSI for good, going underground to player-run shards. No, I havn't read all 800+ something posts, so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this before.

I would have to say that at least 75% of the playerbase that still played UO does not play on the OSI servers. The majority of the people that do play are on player-run shards, I have even scripted and hosted a few of them myself, concentrating on the pre-UOR timeframe because I feal that was the only era that actually had quality one on one duels. I just felt it needed to be said that the players who would be interested in playing this shard, if it were ever to be created, would not be those still playing OSI, but the playerbase of true hardcore gamers that have been forced underground by the destruction of UO by EA. No offense to those who still play OSI that would be interested, but I'm trying to get the point across to those who say it would not succeed that this is not meant to steal players from AOS shards, but to bring a massive playerbase back to OSI who still do play pre-UOR UO.

My purpose for posting is not to say that you are wrong in saying that this shard won't succeed, but to tell you just HOW wrong you are and to point out a very important factor overlooked by those rallying for OSI to make a pre-UOR shard. with at least three-fourths of the UO playerbase playing free-shards and at least a good one-third of those interested primarily in pre-UOR, to create ONE pre-UOR shard would be a mistake. This shard would be overcrowded and experience massive crashes on day one, just like IPY, if anyone was there to see it. For those of you who are not aware of what IPY was, it was the most successful player-run pre-UOR shard ever created with thousands of players, hosted by [censored].com. They severely underestimated the demand for such a shard hosted by such a famous name and could not handle the playerbase at launch. Those of you asking for a shard should keep this in mind, imagine what would happen if OSI made such a shard. In reality, OSI would need at least three or four pre-UOR shards if they expect to be able to handle the new playerbase.

Being a person who has scripted several pre-UOR shards, I still can't begin to comprehend why EA would not make one or several pre-UOR shards when this would, without a doubt, bring back thousands of oldschool players. With a company as greedy as EA, the combination of the potential for profit and their unwillingness to commit to it only further points out their infinite stupidity.

S

Slammer619

I would come back if they created a Pre-UOR server (or Pre-AOS server for that matter). I left one month into AOS and playing WoW at the moment. I hear people in WoW all the time on my server still praise the early days of UO to be the best.

G

RTLTFC

From the DC meetup:

"Are quivers going to be insurable?"

"You bet"

(a total of maybe 2 or 3 people clap)

[/ QUOTE ]

"PreUOR server"

(about 7x more people than above clap)

"Thank you for the applause, scattered though it may be"

[/ QUOTE ]

Laughable.

PreUOR even received more applause than the expansion itself (see: beginning of event)

R

RooAvery

<blockquote><hr>

Being a person who has scripted several pre-UOR shards, I still can't begin to comprehend why EA would not make one or several pre-UOR shards when this would, without a doubt, bring back thousands of oldschool players. With a company as greedy as EA, the combination of the potential for profit and their unwillingness to commit to it only further points out their infinite stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not a bad thing, it's a very good thing. If thousands of players came back for a pre-uor shard, yeh, the first couple weeks would be hell with everyone trying to log in, but it would show the devs that this will work and we will need a longterm support for it and probably some more servers to run it on.

One thing I do know is I am quickly tiring of UO. I have been patient now for 5 years waiting for them to fix this and I am growing closer to closing my accounts. The thing is that if I close my accounts, pre-uor or not, I won't come back. So I do hope they act with haste and not fail to tell us of the development trying to make it some big suprise like they seem to do...

H

Hohbein

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

1) There would be 'sheep' as you call them. I'd bet there would be ALOT of old school UO players that went on to make new friends in other games such as EQ/WoW etc, that would then advise they're friends to try UO because it WAS the best game of all time. Also, a large number of people that are fairly new to the MMORPG genre would be bound to try UO, they must have heard ALOT about it from the MMORPG's they've played, i'm sure they'd want to give it a try to see what all the fuss is about.

BUT, that said, who cares if there are no 'sheep'? i dont mind if everyone on the server is a vet, infact it'd just make the game more fun, because pvp would be a nice challenge. Also, why would people not carry valuables on them? in pre UO:R you often HAD to carry valuables, such as when going dungeon crawling with your new silver broadsword of vanquish.. you HAVE to wear good armour and use good weaponry in some instances of the game. When Fel came out, people in Fel didnt carry any valuables because they didnt HAVE to! if they had to do some PvE with they're good weaponry/armour, they could simply use it all in Tramm. Fel was where people went ONLY if they wanted and were 100% prepared for pvp! in a pre UO:R shard, people would NOT always be ready for pvp and WOULD have to carry valuables on them from time to time.

2) It wouldnt be 1 server, that would be a stupid idea even by EA standards. As someone said a little earlier in this thread, 1 server would crash heavily on day 1 from overload. A wise idea would be to have a few servers, a couple of US ones, a UK one etc.. EA are worth millions if not billions, running a few servers wont bankrupt them, especially when it'd be sure to make them so much money.

3) They would only need devs and GM's purely for small bug fixes and server issues. ALOT of what devs do on normal servers is to do with adding new content to the game (hense the name, developer), however obviously with a pre UO:R shard, there would NEVER be any need for huge amounts of new content. Perhaps small bug fixes, maybe tiny little additions purely to make the game run a little smoother. but NO big changes. Therefore the team of Devs/GMs could be tiny, just enough to run the server with no major problems. Also, as i said in point 2, EA are worth a fortune and a couple of devs wont kill them.

And as for your last point... Just because E.T. (the movie) was made in 1982, does that make it any less of a great film? does it make you want to watch it any less? or just because Fallout was released in 1996 does it make it any less of a great game? do i go back to it any less? No. Infact some old things are better than new things (as can easily be seen with Pre UO:R UO), Your right its not 1999 anymore, its 2005 and i've STILL not found a game that comes close to the excitement and fun I enjoyed on a regular basis for 4 years of UO play.

G

Wow good stuff. Thanks for sharing it! Basements sound.......amazing.

Z

Zeitgeist

<blockquote><hr>

Your right its not 1999 anymore, its 2005 and i've STILL not found a game that comes close to the excitement and fun I enjoyed on a regular basis for 4 years of UO play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great quote. I played pre-ren when I was in high school and for some of my friends and I it was a lot of fun. I remember being up on the phone talking and playing at the same time. We quit a month after Ren came out. I recently came back 2-3 days ago to check things out (and the talk of a pre-uor shard) and it is a totally different game. It's kind of bland, but I'm going to give it a chance.

G

Gareth420

Again you are totally missing the point. Its been pointed out time and time again that you have no basis whatsoever for this "fact" that 100k+ subs would flock to UO to play on this shard. Of course noone can say why people perfectly happy playing for free somewhere would start all over on a shard that they have to pay for now. Or how do I explain to my boss I want to take the game back to 1999 when even tho it was one of 2 mmorpgs on the market it was hemmoraging players like crazy.

If I am EA I want to see UO more like WoW than pre uor UO. Millions of people flocked to that game. I think its laughable that all these poeple would flock to EA and PAY. They flocked to IPY (which was not as successful a place to the guy who ran it as you seem to think it was) because 1. they got banned from uo 2. it was free and they did not like paying per month to play.

Avoiding the issue by saying how wonderful UO was back in 1999 and putting on blinders to any troubles that might have happened back then is not going to get you anywhere. Again if you go by these boards as what the majority of UO players think you are sadly mistaken. If you look most of the threads on the new expansion are negative but in-game everyone is totally excited about it. Just shows the vocal minority here on stratics are not a good sampling of the average gamer.

Also regardless of what they did they will never please everyone who plays on free shards or people who pay to play UO now. Noone will ever be able to agree on what they want on the shard. Next thing you see posts here how the classic shard suxxors and me and my 10000 guildmates are quitting and going to (insert latest game on the market here).

T

__Triz__

IMHO anything pre: pub 16 will be mt new home shard.......once they make the server of course

H

Hohbein

<blockquote><hr>

Again you are totally missing the point. Its been pointed out time and time again that you have no basis whatsoever for this "fact" that 100k+ subs would flock to UO to play on this shard. Of course noone can say why people perfectly happy playing for free somewhere would start all over on a shard that they have to pay for now. Or how do I explain to my boss I want to take the game back to 1999 when even tho it was one of 2 mmorpgs on the market it was hemmoraging players like crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not 'fact' that 100k+ subscribers would flock to UO if a pre UO:R shard was released, just as its not 'fact' that any MMORPG will be a success. Its speculation, but some speculation is more well-founded than others.. If you honestly think a pre UO:R shard would flop you must be insane. People dont want to be playing free shards, yea they might be ok, BUT they arent nessasarily stable. they could be permenantly shut down at any time if the people running it decide to do so, anything unnofficial is dodgy to get involved in IMHO, Also just read that player run shards are illegal, i wasnt aware of that, but its another point for me to add to my post :)

<blockquote><hr>

If I am EA I want to see UO more like WoW than pre uor UO. Millions of people flocked to that game. I think its laughable that all these poeple would flock to EA and PAY. They flocked to IPY (which was not as successful a place to the guy who ran it as you seem to think it was) because 1. they got banned from uo 2. it was free and they did not like paying per month to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be one of the silliest statements i've ever heard someone say. However the unfortunate thing is, its actually true, this is exactly how EA think.. which is why UO is in such a dire state at the moment. UO is NOT like any other MMORPG, and should NEVER even attempt to be like one. It may seem the 'logical' business idea to make UO like the current market leaders such as WoW and EQ.. but its quite obviously a bad one, you just have to look at subscription figures from pre UO:R to now and you'll see the decline. EA are greedy pigs and THOUGHT that by trying to change the game to be more EQ like they would broaden they're fanbase to those that enjoy playing UO AND those that enjoy playing EQ type lvl based games. How wrong they were, Now the only people that seem to play UO are... well clinically insane (no offense).

<blockquote><hr>

Avoiding the issue by saying how wonderful UO was back in 1999 and putting on blinders to any troubles that might have happened back then is not going to get you anywhere. Again if you go by these boards as what the majority of UO players think you are sadly mistaken. If you look most of the threads on the new expansion are negative but in-game everyone is totally excited about it. Just shows the vocal minority here on stratics are not a good sampling of the average gamer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The majority of UO players may think a Pre UO:R server is a bad idea, but that is ONLY because UO currently has about 15 subscriptions running, the rest are EX-UO players and all 285,000 of us think a pre UO:R server would be a good idea. People in game may be excited by the arrival of a new expansion for UO - please refer to the second part of my post describing current UO players as clinically insane.

<blockquote><hr>

Also regardless of what they did they will never please everyone who plays on free shards or people who pay to play UO now. Noone will ever be able to agree on what they want on the shard. Next thing you see posts here how the classic shard suxxors and me and my 10000 guildmates are quitting and going to (insert latest game on the market here).

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be difficult to cater for every players taste. EA need to just bring out a pre UO:R shard, with the EXACT rules of the publish they revert back to, and NEVER change them no matter what customers say. Listening to customers is like a democracy, a good idea in theory but in practice a very dangerous idea. They need to take it all back to Pre UO:R, and leave it be, no changing no matter what people say.. those that leave wont be missed because they'd obviously not be true UO fans.

N

N20

The dev's think making a pre-UOR shard is moving backward who cares . Its not what the devs want its what the PLAYERS(paying customers) want if the PLAYERS(Paying customers) want a Pre-UOR shard you give PLAYERS(Paying Customers) what they want.

G

Gareth420

First off UO NEVER gad 285k subs. The max it had was right after AOS and I think they said it was 250k players. There are more than 15 subs playing UO at the moment also. I tell you what you get 50000 of the 285k+ people you somehow know personally and get them to come to stratics make an account and post how they want a pre uor server. They must also include names and phone numbers so we can verify them.

If that happens then I will stand corrected as enough people will be interested to make it worth EAs time. EA is not going to make ti first and hope they come. If I make a business plan and I do not show concrete how I will not only return the dev cost but also make a ton of money for EA they will never accept the idea.

EA is thinking alot of these people who want this pre uor server will get bored very fast once they realize it is not the same (and there is no way in hell it will be the same its not possible to time travel to 1999). How can they justify another pvp server when the one they have now is a failure? You say trust me just spend the money and hope I am right. Spouting these "facts" that have went from 100k subs will run to it to 285k subs will run to it (which is more subs than UO has total by double now) is just nonsense. With all the new games out noone will come back to the nightmare days of UO (well except for a few who were the dregs of the UO society back then and for everyone one drive off 5-6 players easy) and make a game the lowest form of mmorpg society would enjoy.

Just does not seem viable to me. Your free shards will not so easily give up the user base and the players of those free shards will not leave enmasse and join EA again. Never happen.

Also how can you call wanting to mkae UO into a success like WoW silly? You go tell the shareholders we want to lose money so some person can have a game he likes. Rather than lets make UO appeal to a broader audience and make millions. God forbid EA looks at making money over what you think is best.

H

Hohbein

<blockquote><hr>

First off UO NEVER gad 285k subs. The max it had was right after AOS and I think they said it was 250k players. There are more than 15 subs playing UO at the moment also. I tell you what you get 50000 of the 285k+ people you somehow know personally and get them to come to stratics make an account and post how they want a pre uor server. They must also include names and phone numbers so we can verify them.

If that happens then I will stand corrected as enough people will be interested to make it worth EAs time. EA is not going to make ti first and hope they come. If I make a business plan and I do not show concrete how I will not only return the dev cost but also make a ton of money for EA they will never accept the idea.

EA is thinking alot of these people who want this pre uor server will get bored very fast once they realize it is not the same (and there is no way in hell it will be the same its not possible to time travel to 1999). How can they justify another pvp server when the one they have now is a failure? You say trust me just spend the money and hope I am right. Spouting these "facts" that have went from 100k subs will run to it to 285k subs will run to it (which is more subs than UO has total by double now) is just nonsense. With all the new games out noone will come back to the nightmare days of UO (well except for a few who were the dregs of the UO society back then and for everyone one drive off 5-6 players easy) and make a game the lowest form of mmorpg society would enjoy.

Just does not seem viable to me. Your free shards will not so easily give up the user base and the players of those free shards will not leave enmasse and join EA again. Never happen.

Also how can you call wanting to mkae UO into a success like WoW silly? You go tell the shareholders we want to lose money so some person can have a game he likes. Rather than lets make UO appeal to a broader audience and make millions. God forbid EA looks at making money over what you think is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gareth, I read some posts a few pages back with people flaming you, I was new to the forum and didnt really see why.... but I'm beginning to think it was well founded flaming.

For starters, could you HONESTLY not detect the sarcasm in my post? of course i know there arent just 15 subscriptions for UO, and of course i know there wouldnt have been as many as 285k subscribers to the game. Please point out Gareth, exactly where did i state that i knew all '258,000' of these UO players personally? did I say that? I dont think i did. (also, i realise the beginning of your post was an attempt at sarcasm, I thought i'd let you know that i knew this so you couldnt flame back saying how you were also being sarcastic).

Your whole argument is, its not 1999 therefore people cannot physically like something they enjoyed in that year, correct? Why so? I understand gaming has come a long way since, BUT this advancement has ONLY been in the field of graphics. There has not been a MMORPG to date that can rival UO's original skill/lvling system. I know I, and all of the friends I met in UO, and i'd bet pretty much everyone posting on this thread apart from you, would agree that UO had the most enjoyable and grind free play style of any MMORPG they've ever played. So why exactly would this not be enjoyable in the year 2005? it cant be because of the graphics Gareth, because your still playing UO now with its same old shabby graphic system. So why? It cant be because of the 'older' game systems, because they WERE better than the current ones. So why would people not enjoy it? why would people get bored?

Would you honestly say you think the current UO is a better game than it was at the beginning? If you think so, then you are not a true UO fan, and I can only come to the conclusion that you were basically not cut out for the original UO. its as simple as that i'm afraid.

I'm not saying making UO a success like WoW a silly idea, i'm calling trying to make UO THE SAME as WoW a VERY silly idea. BECAUSE ITS NOT THE SAME BLOODY GAME! the very basis of UO is different, the skill system, the pvp system, the loot system, the pve system, the group system, the travelling system, EVERYTHING is VERY different.

Its like taking Sonic and trying to turn it into Resident Evil, IT WONT WORK!

If you truely think EA can save UO by adding expansion after expansion, useless feature after useless feature, new random skill after new random skill, you are sadly mistaken. UO is dying, as i've said before it wont last a great deal longer, especially if EA keep going at the rate they have been.

The only thing that could save UO now is a pre UO:R shard, which is what I honestly think the majority of people that actually played pre UO:R would like. What harm could it possibly do? it couldnt surely make UO any worse? you'd still have your god aweful 'silly' servers, and the more serious gamers would have quality UO gameplay servers. I highly highly doubt it would lose EA any money, how much could it cost to un-develop a game? god i think even I could do that. And as i've said in many posts previous to this, running costs would be minimal as no major development would be nessasary for the pre UO:R shard.

I think your fighting a losing battle here Gareth. I dont quite see why you find the idea so offensive.. maybe its because deep down inside you realise nearly everyone from the current 'normal' servers would flock to the pre UO:R server and you'd be left alone in trammel.

I dont want to have a huge go at you, You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, even if its very, very wrong.

S

Slammer619

<blockquote><hr>

I tell you what you get 50000 of the 285k+ people you somehow know personally and get them to come to stratics make an account and post how they want a pre uor server. They must also include names and phone numbers so we can verify them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty silly. First of all just because you don't believe all these people with one post that just signed up on stratics are actual people is your opinion. You more then likely never saw me post here, yet I played Ultima online up until AOS. Post numbers mean nothing, since someone can go to an off topic or any MMO that is cancelled and can flood it till their post count is higher.

Second the suggestion on they have to include a name and phone number. Get real. Maybe for you it is fine to leave that information out on here, but that doesn't mean other people would want it. I would never post that information on here. I don't need you or anyone call me just to validate that I am a real person. You don't believe I am me, tough, I don’t need to validate myself to anyone, just like you don't have to validate yourself to anyone.

To think about it what would that really accomplish? You would find something else to target to complain about instead. Just like the pictures, and just like anything else when someone mentions on a pre-uor.

<blockquote><hr>

EA is thinking alot of these people who want this pre uor server will get bored very fast once they realize it is not the same

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny because World of Warcrafts PVP servers are the most popular of their server selection, and still has over 1.4 million subscribers worldwide. SWG is gearing their game more PVP centered and has their player base returning. EQ2 is planning on bringing PVP into the game. Even Final Fantasy brought PVP into the game. So obviously a lot of people want this type of server since every other company is pushing towards a more PVP type game.

Warcraft has actually more PVP servers then Normal servers (just looking at it in game). So looking at the trend the games are going, I would say that people are looking more for a game that is closer to a UOR type game. Otherwise other companies wouldn't be making PVP like they are.

<blockquote><hr>

Your free shards will not so easily give up the user base and the players of those free shards will not leave enmasse and join EA again. Never happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Free shards don't compare to normal shards. There is no comparison, I would much rather play on a normal shard, however I don't play because Age of Shadows ruined everything that was great about Ultima Online, and turned it into Pokeitems online (collect them all).

G

Gareth.

Have you ever played a freeshard?

Do you know many players on freeshards now?

I

imported_Riply

I agree the players should have some influence on the matters such as a Pre Ren shard. Dont get me wronge I have enjoyed the game but find it to boring more so now then in the past. I see nothing wronge with giving the players an oppurtunity to play on a Pre Ren shard as a change of pace. I further believe it will be a win win situation for both the players and EA. Lets face it if a number of vets come back to UO because of this shard, I believe this will spawn new life for the game. Its the players that make the game more so then just the content, its a social environment where players from all over the world can meet and not only discuss UO but other things in the world as well. Without that interface this game would have been in the moth balls long ago. Bringing back some of the glory days will also bring back some of the old vets and a new taste of PVP thats been missing for awhile. I also believe some nice role playing could come out of it as well.

G

Gareth420

WoW PVP is not nonconsentual. Its not comparison there. Yes I do believe that expansions which target a large audience and not just the few who pvp will be the savior of UO. You have no facts at all the back up your "fact" that the only thing that will save UO is a pre ren pvp server.

Also opinions cannot be right or wrong they are opinions. Your opinion differs from mine but neither one is wrong. I can no more prove my opinion than you can yours. I am saying a pre ren server will not be a success because (in my opinion) you cannot go back in time and it will not be the same game as it was then.

For that you say its ok to flame me for my opinons. There is no need to make anything personal. Again opinions cannot be wrong.

G

Gareth420

<blockquote><hr>

Gareth.

Have you ever played a freeshard?

Do you know many players on freeshards now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never play a freeshard for the simple reason I would not trust them. They have no problem stealing from EA (and thats what it is) so why would they have problems stealing from you? Maybe putting some software on your pc to log everything you do.

Also you just prove my point that people would not leave the free shards they play on and have to move to UO's server where they not only have to pay but follow rules. It will never happen.

Z

Zeitgeist

<blockquote><hr>

WoW PVP is not nonconsentual. Its not comparison there. Yes I do believe that expansions which target a large audience and not just the few who pvp will be the savior of UO. You have no facts at all the back up your "fact" that the only thing that will save UO is a pre ren pvp server.

Also opinions cannot be right or wrong they are opinions. Your opinion differs from mine but neither one is wrong. I can no more prove my opinion than you can yours. I am saying a pre ren server will not be a success because (in my opinion) you cannot go back in time and it will not be the same game as it was then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed you stopped on your "Europe needs a new shard" spiel to just addimently against a pre-ren server, wonder why?

Also, I played pre-UOR and I didn't pvp, yet I want a pre-Ren server. I do know a bunch of 15 year old badasses will come but they talk crap on any server, it's sad and annoying.

I

imported_The-Noni-Trader

Question....

Would Ilshenar... [as a tram ruleset] be acceptable on a "pre ren" shard ?

It would give people ONE town/region to go to for consentual only pvp... There is no recalling within it... [meaning if you want to be in there... you have to go through one of the moongates...]

There is a town... but you have to run to it through some nasty critters [if we're talking pre item dependancy... those sand vortices are nasty... and the things outside LBlackthorns castle are NASTY too]
So trade could occur through the gargoyle city... which has no guards [? its been a while...] meaning that whilst people couldnt flag at you... people could lead sand vortices and such into there...

There are no housing areas .... meaning we'd still be forced to live and compete with each other for the real estate [leading to very strong player run townships]... but plenty of hunting... [nothing that is BETTER than what you can already attain in felucca however]

Im unsure on this one... My personal take would be malas would be better.... without the housing.... as the dungeon is harder and avenue for monster killing is far smaller...

Just something I thought I'd bring up for discussion.

G

Only if the shard was so overcrowded that it was impossible to find a location to hunt at should Ilshenar be considered for opening. Anyone remember the line for Liche rooms in Deciet =]

I

imported_The-Noni-Trader

Gareth... for the very last time....

In 45 pages... you posting every 2nd to third post....

WE KNOW YOUR STANCE...

Give up and move on to better pastures and avenues for improving YOUR GAME...

JC.... are you Stratics + ???

Hell forget it... I'll go stratics + [something I vowed I would never do as long as stratics was the "official" boards of UO] in order to post the poll I want to know whether those in support of UO:Classic... would pay for a separate account... and CD[expansion style I guess] to play what is truly a separate game...

We would be unable to have character transfers, character powerups etc available on the shard... else We'd be ruining the point.... and I think if we're truly in support of the idea... we'd commit financially in such a way as to end the b***hing and support our own style financially....

I am going to make my account Stratics +... watch for the post soon...

I

imported_The-Noni-Trader

Well... One of the things I felt stifled the community... [they couldnt seem to get their crap together enough to set up their own guards for trade etc] was the fact that there was no secure way to trade anything...

I personally found it fun to wonder whether the guy is just going to try to steal my gold or cancel and make it fall on the ground :)

But many did not... One town with security would perhaps be nice... and without the "choose where you want to go" moongates... and without EVERY MAN AND HIS DOG having magery.... I dont think it would be as overcrowded as britain is....

Though actually... thinking about it... yeah it would hehehehe...

Ok.. Im against the idea of any secure towns... [secure trading systems is completely different...] The fact that the towns werent secure... served to move the people to all different banks throughout the land to congregate... because it was easier to sit at a bank if there were LESS people there you had to be wary of :)

I

imported_The-Noni-Trader

By the way... I think that FL proved player justice / player run security .... works....

Can we get someone who's a better storyteller than I to re-iterate for us the day of peace on Pacific Felucca?

F

Fuzzy_Wuzzy88

When you guys say a pub15 shard... You guys mean pub15 without trammel, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.