• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Colored Pet Thread

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hhhm.....*thinking*

No chance to place it a moment in a quiet small location - than recall out at the stable and than fast logging out/relogging?

Thinks we all need nice friend with peacer templates nowadays *laughs*

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They didn't do anything extra for the CC. They just added a single color (palette).
In UO the actual color is the result of applying a color palette to a certain image (of a pet in this case).
There are 4 different graphics for horses in the CC, a white, two light brown and a dark brown. And there's one single color palette for nightmares. Applying the very same palette to those four different horses, results in having 4 different colored mares.
Same with dragons. There's a brown and a red one. But there's just one white wyrm color palette. Hence, two different colored WWs...

On the EC on the other hand there is just ONE graphic for a horse and ONE graphic for a dragon. They're just colored appropriately. But that also means that there will ever be just one type of mare and one type of WW.

That has been the case since the client launched years ago... so this is nothing new.

Just on a side note, ostards have it even worse. Desert, forest & frenzied ostards have all their own graphics in the CC. (The frenzied looking damn cool, I might add.) But in the EC, there's just a single one for all three types, and on top of that it even looks f*ck**g r*tard*d. (Seriously stratics? even the latter one gets censored?)

Well you know what that is... and it boils down to just ONE thing...... LAZY on the part of DEVs and the Artist... And sad. Takes away from the game IMO.

As for those sorts of things you know the 16th Anniversary ponies there are 2 ponies that actually have their colors reversed in the EC vs the CC.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My thoughts exactly..same with the lion....we SHOULD be able to ride them right?? He's just too cool not too!
One would think you could but see my previous post for the answer to that question.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was just going to ask if the rams are rideable.

My dwarves need these soo much !
Mine would only if it was like a pack animal... Gotta have somewhere to store his gems.

But we need dwarves first... Wanted them for a long time.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm just going to have to say @Kyronix and @Bleak... this is a shame! EC users ought to be able to see these new additions.... sick and tired of not being given the same variations in color and such as the CC users... bad enough that the Hiryu loses all excitement and looks like a plucked chicken and that ALL dragons are RED... But this! This is an outrage!
I fully agree. Clearly this is a serious disadvantage to all EC players. It deeply offends my aesthetic understanding of fairness. I will unsub all my 17 accounts immediately because I will not be able to play UO, not to mention sleep at night, knowing that some CC users somewhere have hued pets (and prettier avatars). I believe that Devs immediately must remove all hues from CC (make all dragons grey while you are at it). This would only be fair! /s

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fully agree. Clearly this is a serious disadvantage to all EC players. It deeply offends my aesthetic understanding of fairness. I will unsub all my 17 accounts immediately because I will not be able to play UO, not to mention sleep at night, knowing that some CC users somewhere have hued pets (and prettier avatars). I believe that Devs immediately must remove all hues from CC (make all dragons grey while you are at it). This would only be fair! /s
Puts it all into perspective ....

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This .... somehow remembers me to an action years years ago - think was Anno 2005 or so .... with a good friend in Fan Dancer Dojo meanwhile one of this great Tokuno Arties Events. Was huntin there in level 3 when suddely this nice red Hell Predator Cat spawns.... I tamed it but how to get it out now? You couldn't gate in this time - so I asked for help...

LOL what an action to get this cat out from the deepest deep of the Dojo to Earth and than finally to the stable.
The friend is forward with a peacer template and killing all the disturbing monsters and I try to keep the cat living...

The cat is still exist ... also a rare color - but not one of the new tamables that comes out now :)

View attachment 65560
I like my PinkPanther.

Not sure if this color still spawns but I know mine is PrePub 16.

PP.PNG

Blind Tom the Pirate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have no problems with the new "Hued Pets"; they be playful and colorful and down right fun for the eyes, (albeit, I have but one since "the cannon accident"; ah, but that tis another story), so get over it, or drops yer accounts matey. Although, me thinks yer just jestin' or pullin' on me peg leg, har har.
*belches and farts at the same time*
Enjoy yer day mates ~ Blind Tom the Pirate, United Pirates [UP], Red Skull Bay Catskills

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well you know what that is... and it boils down to just ONE thing...... LAZY on the part of DEVs and the Artist... And sad. Takes away from the game IMO.

As for those sorts of things you know the 16th Anniversary ponies there are 2 ponies that actually have their colors reversed in the EC vs the CC.
You really still suprised? Every talented person who worked on UO has left by now. Hands down: Most of the time we play content which was not created by the current team. And the stuff they created, well, ...

Your best bet is to beg the current team to not touch the EC altogether. Everytime they touch it, they make it a bit worse.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You really still suprised? Every talented person who worked on UO has left by now. Hands down: Most of the time we play content which was not created by the current team. And the stuff they created, well, ...

Your best bet is to beg the current team to not touch the EC altogether. Everytime they touch it, they make it a bit worse.
I am frequently critical of both the design and execution, but to be fair, the people who work on UO (both of them) are seriously punching above their weight class if you compare UO to any other MMO in it's later years. I honestly did not expect anything beyond bug fixes and pixel crack (that's sacred) after High Seas. It it probably would have been the case had it not been for Broarsword. And yet we have a real expansion, and meaningful improvements based on player input. Problems with the new content probably have more to do with the money available then the individuals who work on it.
So, yeah, @Kyronix and @Bleak - thank you for the work you do. It is appreciated even if it does not always sound that way.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Puts it all into perspective ....
Well lets put it in this perspective... they want me to pay for a totem that will allow me to catch colored and rehued pets.... that aren't colored or rehued in my client anyway???

And they tell me these new colors of pets are there and I can tame them but they all look the same to me... so ..... Why bother? And if I'm not bothering to do anything with the update and countless other things they have done in the last long while including Doom and so many other things.. then I begin to question things like why am I paying for all these subs??? Considering there is nothing really to make me want to log in...

And soon they are out of a job... and if no one else has noticed... They pretty much only work Tues-Friday anyway. And don't work an entire season practically over the holidays... so lets be honest... wish I had a job like that.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I begin to question things like why am I paying for all these subs???
Eh, really? I'm totally with you on being disappointed with certain things (the EC in particular!), but ...

It is only 10 bucks for a single account per month.
You got more than one account? Lol at you. Close all but one!
You buy silly stuff from the store? Lol again. Stop doing it!

Just venting here on Stratics is going to change nada. You won't change UO or the Devs priorities. You accept it or leave the game. Just give it up on having hopes ;) The day they start listening to you will never come.

If they cared a single bit about the EC, they would have fixed for example the "container freezing the whole client" ages ago. But they can't be arsed, since all they use for development and testing happens in CC.

Also, moving on from a video game isn't nearly half as hard as UO die-hards make it to be. I've left plenty of games/things behind where I put effort into. Of course the first weeks it feels a bit weird, but usually after half a year you don't care at all.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're very quick with calling someone lazy. There is only so much one developer and one designer can do. I'v seen bigger team accomplishing less...

Well lets put it in this perspective... they want me to pay for a totem that will allow me to catch colored and rehued pets.... that aren't colored or rehued in my client anyway???
I don't think you get it. Look at that mare, by no means that is an ordinary colored mare like we have in the EC as of pub 96.
There's ONE NEW COLOR applied to all the old four horse graphics in the CC.
There's ONE NEW COLOR applied to that one and only old horse graphics in the EC.
So EC & CC got the very same: ONE NEW COLOR for mares...
Yes, you can't tell the difference between 4 different looking mares in the CC painted with the SAME color, when you look at them in the EC.
And yes, you can tell the difference between an ordinary colored mare in the EC and a new rare colored mare in the EC.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
View attachment 65556

Valorite shaded snow leopard!
I think I found one too...in the dozens of snow leapards outside of my castle lol

BlueLeapord.png

So, thus far a white and blue leopard and white and dark grey White Wyrm...3 new mares that we are aware of, 1 frost spider...2 REALLY colorful giant toads lol...was hoping for the mares to be those colors! :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am I missing something? I have 2 nightmares that don't look the same to me. Or are the new shades the 2 tone look?

Nightmares.png

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I almost forgot that those totems were a thing.... How much of an RNG chance do you think those "Totems" have of increasing the frequency of newer hues?

Probably just as much of a +% chance as the "Fisherman's suit" does for bait (I wouldn't know), but I've read peoples posts talking about how it does nothing, I'd imagine it's the same deal with these totems.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
This .... somehow remembers me to an action years years ago - think was Anno 2005 or so .... with a good friend in Fan Dancer Dojo meanwhile one of this great Tokuno Arties Events. Was huntin there in level 3 when suddely this nice red Hell Predator Cat spawns.... I tamed it but how to get it out now? You couldn't gate in this time - so I asked for help...

LOL what an action to get this cat out from the deepest deep of the Dojo to Earth and than finally to the stable.
The friend is forward with a peacer template and killing all the disturbing monsters and I try to keep the cat living...

The cat is still exist ... also a rare color - but not one of the new tamables that comes out now :)

View attachment 65560
ive got the exact same cat, have had him for years, one of my fav pets.
fully trained too!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Am I missing something? I have 2 nightmares that don't look the same to me. Or are the new shades the 2 tone look?

View attachment 65571
the Legacy Nightmares, lets call them that, came in 4 different configurations.
light black with short mane.
light black with shaggy mane.
pure black with short mane.
pure black with shaggy mane.

what you have there in your picture is a light black with short mane (on top)
and what looks to be a pure black with ...... hard to tell shaggy mane?

neither of which are new.

i had a pic somewhere of the old nightmares year ago... may be on a old out of service comp, ill go look on photobucket.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

not my photo, i stole it fair and square!

i see i was a little off on the colors, i thought there was 2 different pure blacks.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the Colors. The new drakes Looks good. And it Look like EC but one question: are they usable after Training or just a GD Little ****ty Brothers?!
The new Crimson/Platinum Drakes start off as 2 slots, and the Stygian Drake starts off as 3-4 Slot (can't remember which). They can all be leveled with the new system. 100% Elemental Crimson/Platinum Drakes can out damage GDs against certain foes when leveled and skill trained (100% Fire Drake vs Undead, 100% Cold Drake vs Reptiles, etc).

On TC, I have a 100% Fire Damage Crimson Drake (those are awesome looking), and at 5 slots it has 700 STR/150 DEX/125 INT, 751 Health/150 Stamina/500 Mana, 30 SR/30 MR, 80/80/65/60/80, 24-33 Base Damage, 120 Wrest/120 Tact/120 Resist/120 Anat/120 Parry/120 Med/120 Focus, and it knows Dragon Breath (comes with this), Armor Ignore and Crushing Blow (Crushing Blow turned out to be a mistake, it doesn't deal any additional damage). He out damages GDs/DTHs against Undead, Arachnids, most Reponds, and Fey.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i took a Fire Drake out against a WW last night on Origin, i was highly underwhelmed with its results.
bare in mind it was new, untrained and not cranked up like the above one.
i thought the hitting in the WW lowest resists would be crippling, ill need to try again once i max it out.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

View attachment 65571
That's a non-pure, mohawk mare on the left. On the right, is a pure, long mane mare. Both have been around since Mare's started spawning in 1998. In fact, i still have an old pure, long mane Nightmare that i had tamed in Terathan Keep within the first week or two of their release, Apollo. Then for several years, Pure Nightmares stopped spawning. During that period, Apollo was too valuable to use in battle, so i used to bank sit on him, and people would offer me 2-3 Mill (which was a ludicrous amount back then) for him and i turned them all down. Still have Apollo to this day, looks just like a Dread Warhorse.

Lol. I see you got a pic of me with my Stygian Drake on the far right picture.

ya, tomorrow ill patch and load EC (vomits in mouth a little) for you guys (swallows vomit) or at the very least ill try to do it (feels the vomit coming up again!!!!)

here is a WW i finally managed to get, took a long while to pop this bugger.
color difference is very subtle compared to the Nightmares.
i took a screeny of the normal hued ones to put beside it, again more so for me for a visual reference when farming them, gets hard to tell when your killing white dragons in a white floor and white walled dungeon.

I've seen another color WW on TC. It was a light, ice bluish color, similar to the new Frost Spider color. Person who had him claimed it spawned that color, and wasn't a Pet Freshener color.

Vampyre Kitty

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm rather disappointed that they are NOT new colors....just variations of the colors they already are....got excited when I saw a teal Toad on test and was hoping for similar with these :(

So new colors is rather false advertising...new shades would have been better wording.

Anyway...for your OCD I will screenshot all 4 directions of my black mare in a bit ;) and here's one of the frost spiders I found wandering about the dungeon.
View attachment 65532
View attachment 65531

View attachment 65533
Larisa~ I was wondering where you tamed that one nightmare? We went farming them for a few hours and I never got that one to pop.. it almost looks abyssal glowy and I want one lol.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Larisa~ I was wondering where you tamed that one nightmare? We went farming them for a few hours and I never got that one to pop.. it almost looks abyssal glowy and I want one lol.
Kyrin Pass....went there yesterday and only got the one with the white spot on it's face...going back now actually to see if I can't get any more new ones..that black one IS rather pretty!

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Found yet another new one!!!

NewMare.png

For someone's OCD ;)

NewMareDirections.png

Vampyre Kitty

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kyrin Pass....went there yesterday and only got the one with the white spot on it's face...going back now actually to see if I can't get any more new ones..that black one IS rather pretty!
Thanks Larisa..that new one you got is pretty!

kazeandi

Adventurer
I'm actually glad we don't see snow white/ice color/blaze versions of everything at every corner.
The psychedelic colors were a huge turnoff for me and many friends quit over them - way more so than over things like Trammel or insurance.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
The corridors are full of blood eles, liches and hell hounds..no empty place to lure them trust me! lol
There's the stairs where you come down with the Blood Ele. The first room where all that stuff and the foxes spawn, an empty corridor, then the Balron/Elder Gazer room at the end. Providing you don't drag anything to the corridor it is fine to Tame them there. If you do drag other stuff just take it back. When I was there I ended up with two foxes in the corridor and Tamed both. Here:

Untitled.jpg

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'll have to take a video if I can...when I enter lvl 2, there is always one blood ele..sometimes a lich....going south to the blood fox/deamon room there is usually a lich...straight East of the blood fox room there is a spawn of hellhounds...5 of them....remember also that I do not have honor/peace/SW...I'm just a lowly mage tamer lol, my only defense is run and invis...and half the stuff down there reveals me..SO...it's not as easy for me as it is for some...BUT I will try AGAIN because I WANT ONE! Just cus he's so cute and small :) ALSO when I try to lure ONE Blood Fox out I usually end up with all three....I'll get it though..eventually!

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Larisa - try to tame it , then find a quiet location, park the pet there than recall out to a stall. Log fast out and relogg to get the pet at the stall - Have you tried this there?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The problem for me is getting it separated from the other 22 things in there that want to kill me :)

BUT I did it....almost died a few times...tried luring the lich/hell hounds and gazers but they poison me so fast it's all I can do to cure and invis...so I just casted an EV, dispelled it before it could kill the Blood fox, got it tamed and killed a few elementals before I could recall out....quiet location there is not down there lol but I did it :)

Next step is loring them to see if I can get a better one...yes I am a sucker for punishment!
Fox.png

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Not a clue right now, I spent about a half hour on Siege tonight and didn't get one to spawn. Haven't tried back on Origin yet, seems they dropped the spawn rate a bit though.

Well 7 mares killed on Origin and I got this one...

NewBlack.png

So...spawn rate? no clue! lol maybe my tamer on Origin is just luckier...~shrugs~

Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Wow 2 hours? What shard?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Not a clue right now, I spent about a half hour on Siege tonight and didn't get one to spawn. Haven't tried back on Origin yet, seems they dropped the spawn rate a bit though.

Well 7 mares killed on Origin and I got this one...

View attachment 65814

So...spawn rate? no clue! lol maybe my tamer on Origin is just luckier...~shrugs~
is that NM not just the old normal pure black one?