• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Beginning of the End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DGLita

I have an awful feeling the end is nigh, I hope im wrong.

Luc and his team took this over in March 2007, so here we are just a little over 12 months later and it has gone ominously quiet on the part of the Devs.

From the emails sent out to old members earlier this year, Amnesty was implied for March, this has now been stretched to April.

Even from the start, TSO never did hit the numbers. In Beta in 2002 they needed 100,000 players to beta test the game and the servers. They hit something like 38,000 despite the fact that over half a million people had subscribed to the Sims Newsletter. Membership peaked in 2003, I dont know what the figures were, but I doubt it reached the target they even needed for Beta. We know from what the Devs have told us in recent months that membership was around 13,000 last year.

When The Sims Online was first developed it had a budget in excess of $25 million. Lets be generous and say that in the first 3 years they averaged 50,000 members, in year 4 25,000 members and year 5 13,000 members. That’s a total income over 5 years of $22.5 million . It seems unlikely that EA has even recouped their initial $25 million budget. If they had just left the money in the bank doing nothing, in 5 years they would have earned around $5million interest.

We are now 5 years later and membership is probably around 15,000 paying members, that’s $1.8 million income a year . There is no way that EA can afford to sink the kind of money into this game that they did 5 years ago.

Last year, it transpired that EA were going to cut their losses and pull the plug. Luc Greg and Lee have all discussed this with us. EA by some miracle had a change of heart and let Luc and his team try to revive the game. There are 30 devs listed on the blog, when this game was first developed there were hundreds.

To revive this game and make it pay the Devs had to come up with something radical to get our interest fired up again, and that radical idea had to have been Cash Out. Make the members believe they could actually make real money while they play, but the reality is that they cannot afford to do this, hence the earnings cap they are now testing.

However much we love TSO/Ealand, if the game doesn’t hit the numbers then its dead in the water.

Go to Ealand and look down the top 100 list for each category then click on each property to see how many are online. I have just done this myself, its Saturday evening peak playing time and this is the result

Money 24 houses with 196 players
Offbeat 0 houses open
Romance 10 houses with 33 players
Services 9 houses with 23 players
Stores 64 lots open with 227 players (go figure)
Skill 20 houses with 192 players
Welcome 4 houses with 31 players
Games 0 houses
Entertainment 6 houses with 43 players
Residential 8 houses with 17 players

That’s a total of 145 houses/lots open with 762 players (figures are for EALand only)

Admittedly, there may be houses open that have not hit the top 100 list, but how many players are going to be in houses that don’t even appear on the list. Lets say 38 to be generous. That’s rounds up the players playing right now at 800. This is for EALand only.

TC3 IS less busy than EALand, but probably has a higher percentage of free players. I havnt counted but lets say there are 500 people playing TC3 right now, so a total of around 1300. Considering that other online games have memberships running into hundreds of thousands, does this sound like a successful online game to you?

Does this level of player activity justify 30 Devs?

If YOU were an EA Exec what would you do?

G

Custom Content is still being approved. Someone is still working on the game.

But lack of communication does not bring in new accounts.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Custom Content is still being approved. Someone is still working on the game.

But lack of communication does not bring in new accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

From other post, it doesn't seem like it is keeping old accounts either.

G

I just have to say, you all are depressing me to the point I feel like cancelling all my accts with all these doom and gloom posts/threads.

If I feel this way imagine how a person thinking about subscribing feels reading them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

TC3 IS less busy than EALand, but probably has a higher percentage of free players. I havnt counted but lets say there are 500 people playing TC3 right now, so a total of around 1300. Considering that other online games have memberships running into hundreds of thousands, does this sound like a successful online game to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing to keep in mind is that I know you are from the UK so the figures you have are probably from your peak playing time and not the peak playing time in the US. It's basically bedtime for the US right now and by my count we have 77 players in skill houses, 82 players in money houses and 41 players in stores. I didn't count any of the other categories, and I know for a fact that I've seen those numbers double, triple and even quadruple sometimes, and some of that time is during the day when mainstream America is at their RL jobs and unable to play.

My understanding from talking to people in TC3 is that EA Land's numbers have gone down, but that is due to the unwillingness of players to weather the storm so to speak and hold out hope for what is in store for those of us that do stick it out. As I see it, the future of this game is at least 50% in our own hands. If we give up on the game, then the devs will be financially justified in giving up on us like they could have in June of last year. We've been given a second chance and some people are just throwing it away, and by extension putting the rest of us that do still enjoy the game in danger of losing that game. Everybody wants to put it all on EA and say they're not doing this, or they waited to long to do that, or they want it exactly like they want it or they are going to walk. In my experience in RL you only get what you give so if people are willing to walk off and give up that fast, how can any of those people expect much more than that in return? But nonetheless even with all the flack the devs have caught here and on the blog (which again to their credit EA has let most of the criticism stay there, when they ran the boards before most of the negative stuff was dismissed out of hand and deleted if people remember) they are still doing everything they can do to make this game enjoyable to us and profittable to them at the same time. Every person that walks out decreases their budget a little bit at a time, so given that I don't see how anybody can expect them to make something out of very little. You can't build a skyscraper on a thousand dollar USD budget, so with that analogy how is the devs supposed to make this game reach all the potential it started with when they had a shoestring budget to begin with and people that walk out with their multiple accounts making that shoestring even more thin? Can anybody give a sensible answer to that question other than "Let EA shuffle some money from one of their best selling games to the EA Land budget" since that ain't gonna happen?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I just have to say, you all are depressing me to the point I feel like cancelling all my accts with all these doom and gloom posts/threads.

If I feel this way imagine how a person thinking about subscribing feels reading them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's another good point. I understand being discouraged and depressed with how things are today but every time someone gets ready to post something like this, they need to think of the impact they are having on the overall picture. Even those of us who don't cancel our accounts, if we post stuff like this we very well could inadvertently contribute to a newbie who is considering upgrading their subscription from free to paid to avoid doing it seeing how some of the playerbase feels.

Lita, you are not one to consistently post gloom and doom, I will concede that point, so that comment isn't so much aimed at you as others who constantly post bashing the game or bashing the devs.....but still, even just one negative post could affect someone who is teetering on the edge of one decision or the other. I'm not saying people have to be Molly Sunshine 100% of the time, but in times where there are already so many negative threads floating amongst the few positive ones, I do wish more discretion would be used in adding to the negativity, ya know?

M

mysticlisa516

Why don't you open 50 new accounts and show them your support. I'm actually tired of hearing "give them time." The time is now, they need to start actually giving us things in the game instead of taking things away.

But you give them all the support you want. Many others are tired of wasting their money on a lot of wait and sees.

And this was all stated in clear and concise statements, no book needed.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Not our fault, we just want to have fun. If the game were fun, we would be there playing it and not here posting.

I have fun making pizza. That is gone now. All I can do to afford to make CC is make jams. I hate single money objects, and I dont like the job tracts.

Make the game so that people are playing it and not afk skilling or afk jamming.

Gotta sell now..

E

Elizabeth Z

So your saying that even though someone doesn't enjoy the game as it is now. As it has become they should keep paying just so the game lives on for those that do? Sorry not gonna happen. They sent out letters to former players such as myself and quite a few of us took the 'bait'. Maybe they sent the letters too soon? But then again maybe they HAD to send them to see how many people they could get back so they could meet whatever budget they have.

However, if people like myself came back, had a look, and yet left again because we didn't like what we saw then yes I'd have to say its not looking good for EALand. Then again with the fact that they were planning on using EALand as some sort of port for people to go to before going off to play other games well then the status may not be so dire. I beta tested TSO and played for four years. I have come back at least three times since I left and I usually will leave within 2 weeks. I came back this time in HOPES that something would inspire me to stay and for me there was nothing but a shell of what was and nothing "NEW and IMPROVED" to peak my interest so much that I would choose to keep paying for this game.

Just because I came back and left doesn't mean I wish dire straights on the game. I don't wish to see it end. I know there are plenty of you that still love this game and have it in your hearts to log in every day and enjoy your time spent here. And I agree its hard even for me to see the doom and gloom posts. But I also think its reactionary considering how the game was treated in the past. Many are feeling that right now and feel the need to express it. They have that right. All I can say for now is...

Live long and prosper EAland so that those who love you can enjoy you for however long they have you.

Liz.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Why don't you open 50 new accounts and show them your support. I'm actually tired of hearing "give them time." The time is now, they need to start actually giving us things in the game instead of taking things away.

But you give them all the support you want. Many others are tired of wasting their money on a lot of wait and sees.

And this was all stated in clear and concise statements, no book needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one person should have to do more than they are financially able in order to make up for those that choose to quit. Those that do stay give their support in the form of their premium subscriptions (I myself have 2 but I know people who have 4 or 5 and maybe more) or by using the ATMs. The latter is a way that even people who are unable to afford a steady monthly fee at all could show their support on a periodic basis. And if they are/were dedicated to this game as many who have now quit proclaimed to be, then it would not be 'money wasted' it would be money invested in a bigger and better future that we know is on the horizon. By withdrawing that support those people are at least contributing to insuring that EA is unable to make their wishes and plans for the game to come true, and then those people will in the end put 118% of the blame on EA and some will even go so far as to call the rest of us that do stick it out chumps and suckers and things of that nature.

M

mysticlisa516

So people should continue to pay even though they were lied to in emails sent out by EA stating that the game was now updated and fun. Well, I must have missed where the fun is. I see nothing new added. I do believe the devs have been pulled out and gearing for us to receive our 90 day notice of closing.

But who am I, you disagree with everything I say. You must have inside information knowing that the game will stay open, or you are just plain blind to the facts handed to you.

G

<blockquote><hr>

So your saying that even though someone doesn't enjoy the game as it is now. As it has become they should keep paying just so the game lives on for those that do? Sorry not gonna happen. They sent out letters to former players such as myself and quite a few of us took the 'bait'. Maybe they sent the letters too soon? But then again maybe they HAD to send them to see how many people they could get back so they could meet whatever budget they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail on the head....they did that because they were on a deadline of when things HAD to be done. There was/is no time to take a *wait and see* approach. This game has ALWAYS been as good as what the players made of it. If players expect fun to be handed to them without having to seek it, then yeah they're not gonna be very satisfied right now.....but as to whether or not people should continue playing and paying if they are not enjoying themselves? No, partially I don't think they should. But how many people here can honestly say they cannot spare at least the subscription rate for ONE account even if they only log in once a week on update day, or even once a month, just to keep that account active and contributing to EA's budget? Some honestly can't, and I understand that, but more often than not it isn't a matter of not being able to pay when you can't play, its an unwillingness to. People have put alot of time and energy into this game, I just cannot understand why it wouldn't be worth at least that much to preserve that effort instead of tossing it into the wind.

E

Elizabeth Z

Sorry but I'm gonna LMAO here . You don't even know me Carrie nor have you even played with me in game "that I know of". I don't EXPECT anyone to hand me anything. I have more then enough imagination but guess what? I have played with or tried so many different things over the years . Different houses ideas etc. So I come back and guess what ? ITs the Same Ole Items NOTHING changed but CC and guess what I really don't think my looking at a picture of someones kids in their house really adds to my creative enjoyment.

Stop being so judgemental and assuming about WHY someone you don't even know left the game. Have a great night!

Oh and I'm not here to give charity to EA to keep your game up and running you are just WRONG with this reply completely WRONG!

M

mysticlisa516

They have been given a year, and by my calculation its very close to a year. And DECENT communication of what is going on has stopped. Do you really expect people to stay when communication has stopped like before, or they have the same old objects that has been played to death since the beginning of the game? Yes, there is CC, but nothing new in the last few weeks, and definitely not interactive.

So, I can see why everyone is seeing the end approaching. I choose to live with my blinders off, and not wearing rose-colored glasses. A company that blatantly lies to their customer is a company that cannot be trusted any longer.

JMHO

E

Elizabeth Z

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

. But how many people here can honestly say they cannot spare at least the subscription rate for ONE account even if they only log in once a week on update day, or even once a month, just to keep that account active and contributing to EA's budget? Some honestly can't, and I understand that, but more often than not it isn't a matter of not being able to pay when you can't play, its an unwillingness to. People have put alot of time and energy into this game, I just cannot understand why it wouldn't be worth at least that much to preserve that effort instead of tossing it into the wind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This line right here makes me smile that I cancelled my subscription now. I think the fact that your grasping at straws stating that those who can afford to should just keep on paying so "selfishly' you can KEEP playing even though they don't. Yes let me keep shelling out my 10, 20 30 bucks a month just so they don't shut the game down so YOU can enjoy it. *rolls eyes*

J

jammybob

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing to keep in mind is that I know you are from the UK so the figures you have are probably from your peak playing time and not the peak playing time in the US. It's basically bedtime for the US right now and by my count we have 77 players in skill houses, 82 players in money houses and 41 players in stores. I didn't count any of the other categories, and I know for a fact that I've seen those numbers double, triple and even quadruple sometimes, and some of that time is during the day when mainstream America is at their RL jobs and unable to play.

My understanding from talking to people in TC3 is that EA Land's numbers have gone down, but that is due to the unwillingness of players to weather the storm so to speak and hold out hope for what is in store for those of us that do stick it out. As I see it, the future of this game is at least 50% in our own hands. If we give up on the game, then the devs will be financially justified in giving up on us like they could have in June of last year. We've been given a second chance and some people are just throwing it away, and by extension putting the rest of us that do still enjoy the game in danger of losing that game. Everybody wants to put it all on EA and say they're not doing this, or they waited to long to do that, or they want it exactly like they want it or they are going to walk. In my experience in RL you only get what you give so if people are willing to walk off and give up that fast, how can any of those people expect much more than that in return? But nonetheless even with all the flack the devs have caught here and on the blog (which again to their credit EA has let most of the criticism stay there, when they ran the boards before most of the negative stuff was dismissed out of hand and deleted if people remember) they are still doing everything they can do to make this game enjoyable to us and profittable to them at the same time. Every person that walks out decreases their budget a little bit at a time, so given that I don't see how anybody can expect them to make something out of very little. You can't build a skyscraper on a thousand dollar USD budget, so with that analogy how is the devs supposed to make this game reach all the potential it started with when they had a shoestring budget to begin with and people that walk out with their multiple accounts making that shoestring even more thin? Can anybody give a sensible answer to that question other than "Let EA shuffle some money from one of their best selling games to the EA Land budget" since that ain't gonna happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

All well and good except that most of us have been waiting since shortly after TSOs launch to get updates in the game. The game failed before because it was not updated.
We have been given a second chance to enjoy the game, but also EA have been given a second chance to make it popular.
If they fail to do that, and it certainly seems most people agree that they have, then they will end it.
EA knew what people wanted, it was not exactly a secret for the last few years that people wanted updates. Indeed, in AV, the biggest neighborhood was called "UPDATE THIS GAME NOW"
Instead of adding things to the game, they have taken things from it. Made it less enjoyable for most rather than more enjoyable.
Where are the updates? Where are the new items and additional gameplay ideas that are going to stimulate people to stay and new customers to join?
Surely if you are going to revamp a game, then you ADD things to it. All ive seen is custom content which might be good, but not something thats going to inspire people enough to play a game that otherwise is being torn apart. CC adds very little to actual gameplay, more as something to amuse us whilst NOT logged onto TSO.
You sound like EA are doing US a favor by keeping the game open. I've got news for you, they are a multi million dollar corporation that is driven by profit. They are hoping to sell a product to customers. We can stay loyal as long as we like but at the end of the day, if the product isnt high enough quality, then we won't pay for it.
As for the feedback they receive (negative comments), most companies dont get the luxury of customer feedback on their products, certainly not to this extent. The product either sells or doesnt, most failed products are taken off the market without the manufacturers even knowing why they failed.
EA have been given years of customer feedback and ignored it all.
Yes, the game is set to fail, and yes, the majority of us will put it on EA.

G

<blockquote><hr>

They have been given a year, and by my calculation its very close to a year. And DECENT communication of what is going on has stopped. Do you really expect people to stay when communication has stopped like before, or they have the same old objects that has been played to death since the beginning of the game? Yes, there is CC, but nothing new in the last few weeks, and definitely not interactive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Communication has only come to a halt since the money cap was placed on TC3. Players got irate, rude, beligerant and otherwise punitively ugly with the comments that they spewed at the devs when that happened. How much money would it take for you to take a job that forced you to read that kind of crap aimed at you? I have enough self-respect that it would take a HELL of a lot more than any amount the devs could realistically be making to make me do it. I think they have every right to not stick their hands in the lion's cage proverbially when the lions in essence just bit the hands that fed them. If you (general you) guys wanted the open communication to continue to the level it was, then perhaps you should have exercised a little anger management and self restraint before posting your resentment and frustration with the cap as it used to be. Even since it has been modified I've seen very few 'thank yous' to the devs here or on the blog to thank them for making those adjustments. IMHO, if you can't say thank you when you get something decent then you don't deserve a damned thing, whether here or in RL.

<blockquote><hr>

So, I can see why everyone is seeing the end approaching. I choose to live with my blinders off, and not wearing rose-colored glasses. A company that blatantly lies to their customer is a company that cannot be trusted any longer.

JMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen where they've LIED about anything. I've seen some timelines that had to be extended because their plans didn't work out, but that brings to mind a quote that I can't remember who said it. "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray". They are humans. All they can make are predictions, and the persecution of them by the playerbase when those predictions that they advertise can't for whatever reason be met is PRECISELY what caused the lines of communication to be cut off in the first place. How soon people forget the cash register scandal....and yes before somebody says it I know I was one of the ones that was outraged at that point, and it is something that to this day I am still ashamed of. The point is that now I have changed my attitude and my outlook and there's not one legitimate reason that anybody else can't do the same thing......and its not wearing rose-colored glasses. I DO acknowledge that there are problems within the game as it exists now. The difference is that I and the other hopeful people have the ability to see past the end of our own nose to what could be ahead....the light at the end of a long tunnel that we have ALL felt the effects of. The power of positive thinking is a very real thing....and positive thinking doesn't HAVE to mean living in a dream world, contrary to what alot of people who tend to lean toward the negative seem to intimate or downright say.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I can't remember who said it. "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray".

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be the great Scotsman, Robert Burns.
“The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men
Gang aft a-gley.”

and the other apt quote:

"O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us. "

I

IndigoSpin

<font color="purple"><blockquote><hr>

Communication has only come to a halt since the money cap was placed on TC3. Players got irate, rude, beligerant and otherwise punitively ugly with the comments that they spewed at the devs when that happened. How much money would it take for you to take a job that forced you to read that kind of crap aimed at you? I have enough self-respect that it would take a HELL of a lot more than any amount the devs could realistically be making to make me do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's neither here nor there. They took the jobs, and they're getting paid to provide a service. Part of that service is communication. When they fail to provide this, customers have every right to be upset. Do your job, get your paycheck. Don't expect smiles and puppies and rainbows when you perform poorly. If they can't handle it, they know where the door is.

<blockquote><hr>

If you (general you) guys wanted the open communication to continue to the level it was, then perhaps you should have exercised a little anger management and self restraint before posting your resentment and frustration with the cap as it used to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if the company stopped dropping the ball, people wouldn't feel inclined to make angry, frustrated, unrestrained posts.

<blockquote><hr>

IMHO, if you can't say thank you when you get something decent then you don't deserve a damned thing, whether here or in RL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, it's pretty clear from the customer backlash that we aren't getting something decent. EA is spitting on our cupcake and telling us it's frosting, and it would seem that most customers aren't fooled.</font>

G

NOIP
All of the evidence notwithstanding, I wouldn't piss on the fire just yet.
The truth is - we don't know what the problem is, and any speculation is just that - speculation.
Let's not get into a tailspin until we hear something.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If YOU were an EA Exec what would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell you what i would do, I would read what people are saying, i would pay attention to what my customer base was telling me.

At one point or another we have ALL outlined exactly what they need to do to make this game enjoyable and profitable.

I mean honestly, if i walked down the street and saw 10,000 people chanting "we want ice cream!" and a few people running around hollering they want hot dogs, I dont think i would rush out and start a hot dog stand. I would open an ice cream stand!

Pardon my silly analogies.

in this case, someone at EA had a bright idea, they implemented it and people have said they didnt like it. People came back to the game because of promises like, CC, new items, more fun, nowhere in there did they say, ah but you will be broke. Seriously, you CANNOT throw whatever you want at people and expect them to smile and jump for joy if they are not into it.

Simple fact of the matter is this, this is one of the few enjoyable online games that does not take an expensive new computer with a great internet connection to play. People would flock here in droves if they would just make it more fun and do some serious advertising.

I have decent comps but as soon as i get in an area in those 3d games that have a lot of people, im laggin to beat the band. So i know these games must be frustrating for people who have even older PC's.

So seriously EA, stop being so set on doing things your way and expecting people to fund your mad plans (whatever they might be) and wake up, give people what they want, ya just might turn this game around.

J

jammybob

[quote I haven't seen where they've LIED about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what was being referred to....

"So people should continue to pay even though they were lied to in emails sent out by EA stating that the game was now updated and fun."

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I haven't seen where they've LIED about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what was being referred to....

"So people should continue to pay even though they were lied to in emails sent out by EA stating that the game was now updated and fun."

[/ QUOTE ]

My statement still stands. I've seen that e-mail although I did not receive it since I was already in the game when it was sent out, and based on my gameplay experience since EA Land and TC3 have been 'born', I do not feel lied to or misled at all. Any company in mass e-mails and/or advertisements are going to cast things in as positive a light as they are able to do. Basic advertising, accent the positive, downplay the negative. I have no doubt in my mind that when the devs listed that March 2008 deadline, that's when they intended for it to be......but that in no way means that it was set in stone ironclad. That particular point is debating on semantics and it is indicative of the petty issues that players are allowing to interfere with their ability to enjoy this game. If we focus less on deadlines and more on gameplay and the friends around us, I don't see how people could not have more fun......especially considering that some people have stated that they are not having *any* fun now. It's not very hard to get better than zero in something, but attitude plays a major role in that. Those that decide they are gonna be miserable are gonna stay miserable I don't care what the devs throw at them. Those that don't place conditions on their happiness, as in "When the devs do this, I'll be perfectly happy" they will find themselves alot less stressed out and alot more proned to happiness. Because really, I have news for alot of those people who place conditions on happiness like that.....when that condition is met, I really wonder if they actually *will* be happy, or if they will just scoff and say *pffft, bout damn time* and then create another condition for happiness that is harder to meet. There just is no pleasing some people and I for one respect those that realize it and don't act like a dancing chicken dancing on a metal plate with a secret fire lit underneath it. Would I like some questions answered? Yes, I would. However in light of what has caused this new silence, I am willing to lean back in my chair and allow the passage of time to answer those questions....because none of the questions I have are ones that I won't be able to figure out with the investment of time and a little bit of testing.

I

imported_Danny Dots

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate all this negativity.

I hope next week there is a sick ass update to shock you all.

The negativity rate here is really hitting low.

My attitude is to stay positive and hopeful.
That's all we can do to support the game we love.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This line right here makes me smile that I cancelled my subscription now. I think the fact that your grasping at straws stating that those who can afford to should just keep on paying so "selfishly' you can KEEP playing even though they don't. Yes let me keep shelling out my 10, 20 30 bucks a month just so they don't shut the game down so YOU can enjoy it. *rolls eyes*

[/ QUOTE ]Okay, I simply cannot sit on my hands any longer. That smug statement right there has just driven me over the edge.

I don't know where you get the idea that this is "Carrie Brewton's game". I certainly didn't read any of that in her posts. I may not agree with everything she says, but I have a lot of respect for her for standing up for everyone possibly too afraid to post anything good about the game for fear of being burned at the stake by all the people here who seem to have it set in their minds that spewing negative vitriol all over the forums will somehow magically make EA listen to them. Hell, we can't even have ONE "thank you" thread without one of them going in and [censored] it up!

[snip a few things that could strip the paint off an aircraft carrier. Not worth losing my job over]

I

imported_Shirl1211

TTL

How can you blame the Dev's for not trying to update us? Everytime they mention a plan they have in the works and give us a round about date, alot of people start going off on them because it hasn't been presented to us yet, likw amnestly and our anniversary gifts. I really wished that some people would try to comprehend the work it involves not to mention the technicalities. (Please forgive any misspellings I have) I think they are just tired of the all BS negativities thats been posted about them here in the forum. They probably won't try to communicate with us here until they have things completed. Can't say I blame them either.

G

Speaking for myself, I'd just like a "Hi guys ,we are working on this before we can do that.." type message. When do you think that's coming? In an email? I've been around for 4 yrs and I'll stay as long as the game lets me. But please, they can end all these type posts with a word or two about what the situation is...they haven't done that despite the fire Donovan referred to and I don't expect they will

G

i had to copy this from another post...

the devs still exist and the game would not be unplugged. I HIGHLY doubt that they work all this time and put this much effort to then finally unplug it. If they were going to close it down, why work again on it in the first place? The devs are still working and lately implemented anti-bots measures and the custom appearances ... which means they are still working on it, plus, they have many plans for the future. Not having then communicate much lately does not mean that we will have a lack of communication from now on ... its just they are busy working, or taking a lil vacation (which they have the right to take after all this work) .... many of us have been nothing but negative towards the developers and their work, so maybe they decided to start sharing less with us, only keeping us slightly updated about their current position and announcing any new updates.... we will have to wait and see.

I

imported_debslee

For me I think there is alot of speculation which is very unfounded as far as I am concerned and I think some people are getting their "knickers in a knot" for no reason at all. As was said above, lets wait and see - I am sure that all will be revealed in due course. Alot of what has been said in these posts is not fact - it will be interesting to see who was right and who was wrong at the end of the day, when all is revealed!

D

dinaj

Or maybe they just STOPPED reading this forum, they are NOT obligated to. Or maybe they are just hard at work and there is NO NEW finished update to report on. I personally would rather see them working on the game then sitting around reading each and every post here.

I admire the optimism of cbrewton5 and many others here. I am here to stay and support the game, with my 2 accounts because I have faith in the devs.

Rome was not built in a day and neither can EAL

S

Sims2

since i came back i am happy with the direction of the game and what stuff has been added.

like that there is now custom content and the lava game they are doing.

would like to know what is going on with lava game, but hopefully they

are just busy working on amnesty etc. think there will be more great

things to come hopefully cc that can actually be used sometime would be great

for now am happ ywith playing game , talking to my friends past and present

and going to the sim jobs. hopefully they will add some new jobs. i have to say

there not going to tell us anything there doing anymore since what happned last

time when they said something about a cap.

G

In case anyone doesn't read or remember the news, EA is in the middle of a $2 billion hostile takeover of Take-Two - makes of the Grand Theft Auto series.

Often times in situations like this (even outside of the gaming industry), a company will halt non-critical activities as it evaluates their new priorities of the combined company (even before the deal is final). It's quite possible Luc and his team are preparing plans and budgets for the suits and aren't able to perform their normal tasks. If that's the case, then it is also highly likely they cannot disclose what they are doing.

This is <u>my</u> opinion based on <u>my</u> experience of having lived through several mergers during my career.

G

<blockquote><hr>

All I can say for now is...

Live long and prosper EAland so that those who love you can enjoy you for however long they have you.

Liz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here. Here!

I

imported_fajjaa

<blockquote><hr>

In case anyone doesn't read or remember the news, EA is in the middle of a $2 billion hostile takeover of Take-Two - makes of the Grand Theft Auto series.

Often times in situations like this (even outside of the gaming industry), a company will halt non-critical activities as it evaluates their new priorities of the combined company (even before the deal is final). It's quite possible Luc and his team are preparing plans and budgets for the suits and aren't able to perform their normal tasks. If that's the case, then it is also highly likely they cannot disclose what they are doing.

This is <u>my</u> opinion based on <u>my</u> experience of having lived through several mergers during my career.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of the possibilities...crossing online sims with stealing cars, running people over, destroying property. And here we thought they werent going to add any fun to the game. (just my sick sense of humor running amuck)

Thanks for the info Milton, that does explain the possible situation. Where I work, we are in the middle of a buyout situation and merge. I was in one other, and have watched another first hand. Its all about inventory and the dollar.

H

HoTDeViL

<blockquote><hr>

Even from the start, TSO never did hit the numbers. In Beta in 2002 they needed 100,000 players to beta test the game and the servers. They hit something like 38,000 despite the fact that over half a million people had subscribed to the Sims Newsletter. Membership peaked in 2003, I dont know what the figures were, but I doubt it reached the target they even needed for Beta. We know from what the Devs have told us in recent months that membership was around 13,000 last year.
We are now 5 years later and membership is probably around 15,000 paying members, that’s $1.8 million income a year .

Go to Ealand and look down the top 100 list for each category then click on each property to see how many are online. I have just done this myself, its Saturday evening peak playing time and this is the result

Money 24 houses with 196 players
Offbeat 0 houses open
Romance 10 houses with 33 players
Services 9 houses with 23 players
Stores 64 lots open with 227 players (go figure)
Skill 20 houses with 192 players
Welcome 4 houses with 31 players
Games 0 houses
Entertainment 6 houses with 43 players
Residential 8 houses with 17 players

That’s a total of 145 houses/lots open with 762 players (figures are for EALand only)

[/ QUOTE ]

this numbers are beans. here an actual example from another online game. its the statistic from right now when i post here....

Residents Online Now: 40,056
Population
Residents Logged-In During Last 7 Days 466,521
Residents Logged-In During Last 14 Days 576,619
Residents Logged-In During Last 30 Days 848,615
Residents Logged-In During Last 60 Days 1,262,094

this is including free and paying members

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hell, we can't even have ONE "thank you" thread without one of them going in and [censored] it up!

[/ QUOTE ]
Right back atcha - Is there even one thread where someone has a complaint that an adoring fan hasn't told us to leave if we didn't like it?

G

I have it on good authority that they are all down in Tijuana, drunk out of their gourds, playing Tournament Pong and reminiscing about the 'good 'ol days'.

I

imported_ChipsAhoy

TTL

I have just scanned the posts here, so I dont know if this has been said....
I have been pretty negative thus far about this game. I got the 'come back' email and was shocked at how it hadn't changed and there wasn't anything new and fun since 2004. I was under the assumption that in the beginning of March things would change. Okay, it gets pushed to April 30th. (WHY there wasnt a tested working ability for amnesty and what not going on before that email was sent out-I don't know-thats just bad business) I have held on now for a couple of billing cycles anyway.

Now I have been thinking....
Maybe the devs are working on things to keep up with this deadline? Maybe they are actually not sitting on the beach sipping magaritas, but are WORKING on bringing the amnesty gifts and maybe a little bit of fun back? Maybe that's why there was no TC3 update because they are working on the internal (whatever it is called) server trying to make some moves? Maybe that is why there hasn't been communication, they have hit some snags and are trying to fix it? IMHO it wouldn't be too good to say, 'We havent go this working yet..' It would be better to just fix it. We dont have to be privy to everything.

G

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

I have just scanned the posts here, so I dont know if this has been said....
I have been pretty negative thus far about this game. I got the 'come back' email and was shocked at how it hadn't changed and there wasn't anything new and fun since 2004. I was under the assumption that in the beginning of March things would change. Okay, it gets pushed to April 30th. (WHY there wasnt a tested working ability for amnesty and what not going on before that email was sent out-I don't know-thats just bad business) I have held on now for a couple of billing cycles anyway.

Now I have been thinking....
Maybe the devs are working on things to keep up with this deadline? Maybe they are actually not sitting on the beach sipping magaritas, but are WORKING on bringing the amnesty gifts and maybe a little bit of fun back? Maybe that's why there was no TC3 update because they are working on the internal (whatever it is called) server trying to make some moves? Maybe that is why there hasn't been communication, they have hit some snags and are trying to fix it? IMHO it wouldn't be too good to say, 'We havent go this working yet..' It would be better to just fix it. We dont have to be privy to everything.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aww, I was liking the "Tijuana" scenario.
Now you spoiled it.

I

imported_ChipsAhoy

<blockquote><hr>

Aww, I was liking the "Tijuana" scenario.
Now you spoiled it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yeah my $10 last month bought the margarita and your $10 was the tip for Pari's cabana boy.

Edit: She probably wishes it was so easy.

P

poppet

TTL

This is my perspective as a returning player, I was lured back by all the great news on the ea land web site, and the wiki. I rejoined about 40 days ago thinking wow finally they did/are doing things to make the game better.

now 5 weeks later, this is my opinion on what i have seen so far

(mind you this is only based on the time i have been back)

It seems to me the game is always going down sometimes for a day or so

more often that not the lag is almost unbearable

the only things introduced into the game since i have been here is skinable rugs and the ability to pick a primary sim

A serious lack of Dev communication and support

A few promises about amnesty that they didnt do yet

A very upsetting issue about the anti bot measures

As a returning player we have seen more negative than positive in the last 4 or 5 weeks, this is not a good way to have player retention

S

Shyanne1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Okay, I simply cannot sit on my hands any longer. That smug statement right there has just driven me over the edge.

I don't know where you get the idea that this is "Carrie Brewton's game". I certainly didn't read any of that in her posts. I may not agree with everything she says, but I have a lot of respect for her for standing up for everyone possibly too afraid to post anything good about the game for fear of being burned at the stake by all the people here who seem to have it set in their minds that spewing negative vitriol all over the forums will somehow magically make EA listen to them. Hell, we can't even have ONE "thank you" thread without one of them going in and [censored] it up!

[snip a few things that could strip the paint off an aircraft carrier. Not worth losing my job over]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think she thinks it's her game, however, I do think that posts trying to spin things in a positive light where there isn't any sets people off. I have read her posts and many times she implys that the success of this game will succeed or fail due to the players and if we quit it will be our fault the game fails. Also, she has stated attitude regarding the game has a lot to do with having fun. I just really can't see how that is true. If I have to turn on my computer and force myself to have a positive "attitude" towards a game then really why am I playing it? A lot of things she says I agree with. A lot I don't. If I decide to quit then really I couldn't care less if the game suceeds or not. I think that people really just want people to stop blaming the customer for the game failing and start putting the blame where it belongs. On the company.

G

I think before people take the time to cause alot of useless drama with drivel threads like these, they need to think about EA Land from a simple business standpoint.

Would EA puts its name, its time, and some of its veteran employees on a project they are willing to drop on a whim? You don't know EA very well do you. The company takes very little risk without guaranteed reward, they are not known to be fly by night or to start projects they don't intend to give a good run at. The old TSO was Maxis' fault for the majority, and now EA is trying to turn the engine it has into a profitable venture to compete with games like Second Life.

You people need to calm down. If the Devs don't take the time to hold your hand for a few days, they're working. There's alot more to coding and design than giving you a new object or making sure Pizza pays a fortune. Someone is sitting there approving our CC during the week, someone is monitering the servers, SOMEONE is making sure the game runs.

I personaly could care less if the crabby people who play this game cancel their accounts. I've encountered too many complainers not worth their salt to bother caring about them anymore. New players or potential players, if you'r reading this, contact me and I'll tell you why the game is worth it, how i have fun with it, and what the benefits are.

Sorry if this was harsh, but a little common sense and intelligence goes an AWFUL long way sometimes people. Stop making yourselves look foolish.

edit: Alright, now i'm starting to giggle a bit thinking about this. The last EA Land blog posts were the 15th and the 16th....its the 20th people!!! The Devs are gone because its been 4 days, one of them a WEEKEND DAY? hahahahaha My CC was aapproved on Friday too, now that I think about it. Wow, I probably only needed to post that instead of the post above. Gloom and Doom over 3 business days, one of which we had a blog post on, with CC still being approved every day. WOW

S

Shyanne1

<blockquote><hr>

edit: Alright, now i'm starting to giggle a bit thinking about this. The last EA Land blog posts were the 15th and the 16th....its the 20th people!!! The Devs are gone because its been 4 days, one of them a WEEKEND DAY? hahahahaha My CC was aapproved on Friday too, now that I think about it. Wow, I probably only needed to post that instead of the post above. Gloom and Doom over 3 business days, one of which we had a blog post on, with CC still being approved every day. WOW

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but you forgot to mention that those blog posts were about nothing. One was to tell us that there wouldn't be an update to TC3 and the other was to communicate to us how much CC was in the game. It's been almost 2 weeks since any real communication was posted and that was just a "we've been reading your comments about the new "feature" they've been testing". I'm happy that you are getting your CC approved but many more are not. Who looks foolish now? Before you negate other people's post you need research your facts before you post them. Giggle away.

G

you do, for competely ignoring the rest of my post that addresses the issue.

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing to keep in mind is that I know you are from the UK so the figures you have are probably from your peak playing time and not the peak playing time in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know very well about the time difference, so I stayed up till 4am here to do my count, which was approx 8pm US time, as you can see from the time stated on my post

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Hell, we can't even have ONE "thank you" thread without one of them going in and [censored] it up!

[/ QUOTE ]
Right back atcha - Is there even one thread where someone has a complaint that an adoring fan hasn't told us to leave if we didn't like it?

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU Donovan. You said it before I could!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, very insightful! I think that scenario is highly likely -- wish I'd have thought of it! ;-) I just posted to say I'm way impressed, Milton!

Status
Not open for further replies.