• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Siege requests for Time of Legends Expansion

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Poor Tanivar, he sounds like a bitter old man.
I wonder if you did know, Magincia Dock is not guard zone. I was so surprised to see you there at white net event.
Dying is not the end of your UO life, nor is items lost to a thief.
What will it take to make you enjoy UO again, is it Sieges Vets there is a problem or the fact, that UO as whole are dying?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to know who these Siege Vets are who make it clear that this is their shard. I moved here a couple of months ago and have yet to meet anyone who tried to make me feel unwelcome on Siege.
Such behavior isn't a problem in game or chat. It's the bull ideas on this Siege forum. Some people want the pre-tram world they had back in the late 90's back but can't seem to get enough of a grasp on reality to understand there won't be any sheep to butcher and fleece of everything the sheep possess. No one put up with it back then, they left UO or went to Tram when it was created. These days people will just even more easily leave that situation, there are a couple dozen Trams to choose from.

I am a fairly annoying person and they seem to put up with me.
Hello Pot, I'm Kettle. I think we have something in common. :p

As far as houses go I think you might be missing the whole point of Siege, its not a place for you to stay in your house, its a place for you to go out and hunt. I know you will come back with yeah but I will get pked if I am out hunting. Trust me there are plenty of places where you can go and no one will even bother you. I hunt all the time and rarely see anyone and I have not been bothered by anyone.
I'm rarely in the house much as Tanivar, I'm out gathering supplies for Landreu. Landreu is out and about Zento a fair bit going to the shops in town though he is usually busy crafting in his workshop.

I've never been PKed here on Siege yet. Been jumped a couple times out gathering but got away every time. Eventually I'm sure someone will pick off Tanivar, he's out running around to much and I'm noticing I've gotten a bit cocky about that. There's an OOOoooOOOooo in his future I'm sure. :stretcher: <chuckles>

My very favorite memories of UO back in the day are of being pked in different places, by names that I actually remember. UO when it was great was fun because of the hidden danger, of being in the lich room and a gate would open. Out of that gate came a pk named Annie on Pacific, I remember those times, not decorating my house, or sitting inside it safe and sound.
The danger on Siege is the spice of the shard, danger without the ashats of Fel. I agree it's fun.

Decorating a house is pretty much a one time thing with me, I'm a guy. I build the sucker, deco it, and rarely do more than add an occasional item from a holiday qive away or something. Love the fact there's no housecleaning to do like in real life. :party:

Again, I don't sit in the house hiding away in dread fear of being PKed, I've to much gathering to do and only so much playtime to do it in.

You recall my Siege signature with the mountain sheep with the big horns? I'm likely to lose vs a true wolf, but those big horns where the sun doesn't shine are going to hurt. :D

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Such behavior isn't a problem in game or chat. It's the bull ideas on this Siege forum. Some people want the pre-tram world they had back in the late 90's back but can't seem to get enough of a grasp on reality to understand there won't be any sheep to butcher and fleece of everything the sheep possess. No one put up with it back then, they left UO or went to Tram when it was created. These days people will just even more easily leave that situation, there are a couple dozen Trams to choose from.
You are right, we want the pre trammel world we had. I started as a miner, I did get PK'ed but I only meed very few of this ashats of Fel you speak about, most was fun to interact with and did not res kill. When I decided to get some combat skills, it was the reds, who after killing me, took time to tell me, how to do better. We was a lot, who did well and there was a lot, who did put up with the PK's. I remember many times a player recalled in to Brit Bank, yelled, PK's on East Road and made a gate and a lot did go on PK hunt, even when they knew, they did not have the skill for it.

I've never been PKed here on Siege yet. Been jumped a couple times out gathering but got away every time.
Me think, it's about time you get to say OOoooOOo, and learn to let that old fear go, our reds are not ashats, and when we get one, they do not last long here as they get it very hard.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poor Tanivar, he sounds like a bitter old man.
Bitter? Nah, am getting a tad grumpy though. Don't have the b.s. tolerance that I used to, and have always said what I think, no socially appropriate white lies out of me, you hear my true viewpoint on things.

I wonder if you did know, Magincia Dock is not guard zone. I was so surprised to see you there at white net event.
I figured if I couldn't fight Osideron because I was to busy getting rezzed between PKs, I'd go grab a spare suit at the house and go gathering. At worst I was going to get that Siege christening I was told to expect when I first came to Siege.

Dying is not the end of your UO life, nor is items lost to a thief.
Dying is at worst a loss of some gear which Landreu can easily replace since it's just an lrc suit with skill jewelry. Got four spare sets somewhere in the dust bunny nests, haven't needed them yet. I have had my load lightened a few times. Yes, there are thieves on Siege. :eyes:

What will it take to make you enjoy UO again, is it Sieges Vets there is a problem or the fact, that UO as whole are dying?
What it will take is just staying out of the forums, to much b.s. in them. I came back to UO all gung ho to play but after a couple of months reading the forums to see what had changed while I was away, I was about ready to go back to the game I'd came from.

Siege Vets wanting changes to make things like they used to be and that would work less well now than they did back pre-UO:Ren, and their refusal to permit changes that would be positive points that would make Siege more attractive to people checking out Siege to see if they'd want to move here are certainly problems. Most people can't learn from history though, why the human race keeps making the same mistakes over and over.

UO as a whole is on the way down. Part of it is likely these forums. People interested in checking out this old game as something new for them to play, in spite of old graphics, must come to these forums, see all the pancakes, moaning, ranting, raving, slandering of the Dev's, EA, Broadsword, the tales of what chat is like, etc, etc, etc, and cross UO off their list and move on to checking out the next game on their list.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Siege Vets wanting changes to make things like they used to be and that would work less well now than they did back pre-UO:Ren, and their refusal to permit changes that would be positive points that would make Siege more attractive to people checking out Siege to see if they'd want to move here are certainly problems. Most people can't learn from history though, why the human race keeps making the same mistakes over and over.
You see, we want the players Siege was meant for, not the ones, who are happy in Trammel. We want players who enjoyed the game before Trammel.

If Devs back in the day, had made Trammel as new shards and not as a safe facet on old shards, many thing would had been different. I for sure, was staid on Atlantic if they had not destroyed the shard, first with stat loss and then with adding Trammel. I loved the game I had back then but Trammel split the shard and the community and made it unplayable for me.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me think, it's about time you get to say OOoooOOo,...
Tanivar will be out and about gathering supplies for Landreu's stockpiles until his account expires this fall so hunt his hide down if you can. Just watch out for those horns. :p

...and learn to let that old fear go, ...
No lass, while you people into PKing seem to think we're all scared of you, that's only in your dreams, girl.

If I was feeling fear on Siege Freja, I wouldn't be here to start with. :lol:

...our reds are not ashats, ...
That their not. Why I'm here. If they were I'd not of returned to Siege, as I won't do Fel.

and when we get one, they do not last long here as they get it very hard.
One of the strong points of Siege.

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tanivar, the forums are where people are suppose to hash out problems not in game. Thats why you will see heated debates here, but if you notice in game chat is hardly ever about who hates what changes. Sure from time to time something from the forums will slip into gen chat but for the most part people keep it civil and just talk here about things.

I am still not sure what is upsetting you, you said Siege Vets who want their old game back??? If that is what is bothering you what is the difference in you wanting a certain kind of game, we all have ideas about what OUR own game should be like. I think it might be wrong of you to be upset with anyone who wants a change to THEIR game, these changes will only come about if the majority and a dev agree that those changes are right for Siege.

Please don't take what I am saying as an attack on you, I really do want to understand. Understanding what your problem is might make me understand why others feel as you do. I want to see Siege grow, I would love to see more people play Siege. Maybe part of your problem is you haven't let people get to know you. I find talking in gen chat to be the best way to let others see what kind of person you are, some will like you, some will tolerate you and some will hate you, but everyone will at least know who you are.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am still not sure what is upsetting you, you said Siege Vets who want their old game back???
Their wanting the Dev's to waste time on creating a game that failed back then and has even less chance of existing now, because there will be no sheep to ruin the fun of while getting their own jollies this time, any sheep will just go elsewhere where they can have fun instead of being fun for someone else.

... I really do want to understand. Understanding what your problem is might make me understand why others feel as you do.
Read the above comment.

I want to see Siege grow, I would love to see more people play Siege.
Then work towards changes that will make people be more inclined to move to Siege, not changes that have a proven history of driving people away.

Maybe part of your problem is you haven't let people get to know you. I find talking in gen chat to be the best way to let others see what kind of person you are, some will like you, some will tolerate you and some will hate you, but everyone will at least know who you are.
I am usually to busy doing something to watch the chat scroll by. I favor playing a gatherer/crafter, and it takes a lot of time. Plus the times I have chimed in usually give me the impression I've managed to get myself tuned out by people. A common side effect of saying what you think instead of going along with the flow. The discussion tends to flow around you like your a rock in a stream. <shrugs>

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe that is the problem then the only time you chime in is when you disagree making people think you are disagreeable. Chime in when its just silly gen chat stuff.

You talk about sheep and not wanting to be prey, well again you are missing the point of Siege. On Siege you are suppose to make a char that you can defend yourself on. Don't come here if you want to be a sheep, come here to fight back, even if that means making a char that is only good at getting away. Do you honestly think most of the people who kill, do it only because they like the killing? Trust me if it was only about killing they would move to a shard that has more pvp than Siege. They like the hunt, they like the fight and sure in the end they like to get the kill. When and if you get killed be polite, ask for your stuff back, ask if you can come back to your body and most of the time they won't even take anything.

I left LS and Great Lakes, not because there was no pvp, not because I didn't have a good guild to run with but because I wanted something different. Please don't try and turn Siege into just another shard. Siege is special partly because of the rule set and most of all because of the people.

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess your post are confusing me. You like Siege? You don't like Siege? You don't like the idea of someone pking you for your loot? You don't like Siege Vets? Please say whatever your problem is in simpler terms, I'm an idiot. You said you like to be direct and state your mind then please do it so, so I can actually understand what is your problem.

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and go to any other forum for any game and you will see the same kinds of things being said about that game. UO is not unique in the fact that no matter what game is being talked about people see need for changes or want to see improvements. I doubt anyone coming to check out UO would be so alarmed by the forums that they wouldn't try out the game.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make sure you share all of your in game names so I can make sure to put them onto my Steal on Sight list...la
<Tips his hat to Rico>

Care to post when you took it? That thing traveled from inside a house to inside another house by house teleporter and was pulled from a moving crate and locked down each time I customized the house. It's got me seriously curious, o_O

And 4 1/2 million for it on vendor search? Sheesh... I can hear you yelling ka'ching!! from here. :p

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I woud gouge my eyes out and ever return to this forum if KOC or VmP were here and giving Tanivar the good old fashioned Siege experience, but not before I enjoyed the heck out of his crying for a good hour or so! :lol:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I woud gouge my eyes out and ever return to this forum if KOC or VmP were here and giving Tanivar the good old fashioned Siege experience, but not before I enjoyed the heck out of his crying for a good hour or so! :lol:
Crying? What in that post sounded like crying? <chuckles> Your imagination getting away with you? Need to clean some fur out from between your ears. :rolleyes:

I decided to acknowledge to all that he did indeed carry out his promise and scored big time. Though as I said I'd like to know when he got it.

The thing is blessed so it can't be taken from a backpack, was in a moving crate which is secure (at least co-owners can't get into it), or was locked down (followed by setting it to anyone security) on the house steps. I recall that years back Thieves griped about people being able to see stolen things vanish immediately from the backpack display on their screen where in rl people aren't always staring into their backpack and wouldn't immediately see something vanish, that there should be at least 5 or 10 seconds before the victim knew something was taken. Playing prodo tram nearly exclusively in those days I didn't worry about such a change, did they set up a delay in something stolen vanishing? Did I place that crystal portal at the usual west end of the steps, and have it stolen then and what I used the lockdown macro on and set security on wasn't actually still there?

I will stop placing anything I want to keep on the steps so it won't bounce into the moving crate and need to be placed again when decoing a house and I might decide to move a teleporter or door a bit. Lesson taught and learned.

How 'bout it Rico, care to brag how you got it? Have the urge to let us all know how tricky you are. :thumbup:

<Orders a $20 EA game card to get a couple more soulstones for Detect Hidden and Tracking> ;)

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crying? What in that post sounded like crying? <chuckles> Your imagination getting away with you? Need to clean some fur out from between your ears. :rolleyes:

I decided to acknowledge to all that he did indeed carry out his promise and scored big time. Though as I said I'd like to know when he got it.

The thing is blessed so it can't be taken from a backpack, was in a moving crate which is secure (at least co-owners can't get into it), or was locked down (followed by setting it to anyone security) on the house steps. I recall that years back Thieves griped about people being able to see stolen things vanish immediately from the backpack display on their screen where in rl people aren't always staring into their backpack and wouldn't immediately see something vanish, that there should be at least 5 or 10 seconds before the victim knew something was taken. Playing prodo tram nearly exclusively in those days I didn't worry about such a change, did they set up a delay in something stolen vanishing? Did I place that crystal portal at the usual west end of the steps, and have it stolen then and what I used the lockdown macro on and set security on wasn't actually still there?

I will stop placing anything I want to keep on the steps so it won't bounce into the moving crate and need to be placed again when decoing a house and I might decide to move a teleporter or door a bit. Lesson taught and learned.

How 'bout it Rico, care to brag how you got it? Have the urge to let us all know how tricky you are. :thumbup:

<Orders a $20 EA game card to get a couple more soulstones for Detect Hidden and Tracking> ;)
My comment had nothing to do with that post or that incident. Just your general attitude about Siege.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My comment had nothing to do with that post or that incident. Just your general attitude about Siege.
Ah, my general attitude towards those who want to keep Siege's population low, yeah it is pretty uncharitable isn't it. The result of wanting to see Siege have more customers for those of us who run shops and hearing people working against our getting more people on Siege. Come to the Light Side Kat, work to grow Siege, not hurt it.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So any chance we could get back on topic here? Please keep this thread to specific points related to the coming expansion / major publish changes for siege. Plenty of other threads for everyone to do their two minute hate....

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just want to add one thing Silent that maybe what happened wasn't because someone took your item. We did have a guild mate who lost a whole chest that vanished right before two peoples eyes. Could this be some kind of bug that is deleting items, maybe you weren't the victim of someone but of the game itself.

Back on topic I want to see White Wyrms get a redo, maybe nightmares and Fire Steed. All three of these pets need a bit of a upgrade, to make them worth having in your stable.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So any chance we could get back on topic here? Please keep this thread to specific points related to the coming expansion / major publish changes for siege.
O.k. <nods with a mischievous grin>

Pillory's around the Town bank's for those who get caught in the act of stealing or who attack and fail to kill their targets. You try and do nasty things unto others and blow it, you get an hour in a Pillory to give you time to think on how you messed it up. The upstanding citizens of Siege get to pelt you with rotten fruit and veggies from a basket beside the pillory. (They can set this detection up to happen when the Steal skill is used or a player attacks a player. Get it right, your gold, blow it, and your getting a tan in a pillory. Player must be logged in as that character during the hour. Call it motivation to get good. Risk vs Reward. ;)

Make all containers trappable (tossing a bone to Tinkers) and make the traps do lethal damage at least half the time. (Tailor/Tinkers to do packs, pouches, and bags.) Should add considerable excitement to Thieves lives with their love for Risk vs. Reward.

Adjust running speeds by weight worn and carried. The mugger in armor and lugging a big weapon can't move as fast as a gatherer in clothing or lighter armor unless the gatherer is heavy from gathered goods he's carrying. Will encourage muggers to wear lighter gear giving the victims more chance of defending themselves. Remember Risk vs. Reward. ;)

Banana Peels that people can toss around themselves and that use the ice patch code making it likely anyone coming up to them, openly or steathing, will fall. Falling will reveal hidden people.

Tamer's be given the ability to tame and sell animals to homeowners as pets and guard animals. (A bone for Tamers) The animals will react to people not friended to the house revealing them. A guard animal will attack anyone who attacks the homeowner or a co-owner or friend of the house, or if told to sic'em! by one of the above. Risk getting chomped vs the Reward of looting the dead and anything in anyone or friends security containers in the house. (Only if attacked by and killing the guard animal.)

Animals set to guard you will actually guard you. Would be nice for Tamer's pets as well. (I've a Tamer on Chessie.)

There's a half dozen for the crowd on the Light Side of Siege. :party:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pillory's around the Town bank's for those who get caught in the act of stealing or who attack and fail to kill their targets.
Ok, as long as someone who calls the guards and fails to have the thief guard wacked gets an hour of timeout...la

Reactions: Kat

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:lol:

Well the Dark Side gives the reaction I expected. Can't have changes that don't favor them after all. :p

The suggestions are on topic as Silent Singer requested. I'm being good. :)

:lol:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't have changes that don't favor them after all.
What I do find funny is the idea that any one thinks any of these suggested changes will see the light of day. It's kinda just something to start a discussion. No need to get your panties in a bunch...la

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not my skivvies in a bunch, it's the rotfl becoming rotflmao your picking up on Rico. :)

No, I don't expect my suggestions to even make Silent Singers list. I think he walks the Dark Side of Siege as you do. I suspect that those who walk the Light Side of Siege and even a few on your side of Siege will grin over the suggestions though. Read them tongue in cheek. I said I was making those suggestions with a mischievous grin. <chuckles>

By the way, while we're exchanging posts, are you the Mr NastyTime who had a Crystal Portal for sale a while after mine wasn't there when I went out to use it to make a deco item run? Am I crediting the right lightfingered lout of lore? :)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope wasn't me. Didn't log in yesterday. Oh, and the only character name I play is *drum roll* ...Rico.

...la

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh man, am I accidentally in a star wars game?! That would explain why I've sucked so badly at it!

No, "sides" have nothing to do with this conversation. I asked what everyone would like to see that would be Siege specific out of new expansion. The idea was to brainstorm a little, and get a GENERAL consensus on items that seem doable, reasonable, most are behind.

By those criteria, Rico's admittedly biased requests for thieves would not be at the top because he is the only player pushing that agenda, and the changes aren't something that would help make siege attractive while retaining the flavor of the shard. That doesn't mean there aren't some interesting merits to things Rico has suggested. (Rico I'm not picking on you here, you are the example at hand because you posted most recently).

If only one or two even are pushing something, it doesn't show the devs there is a shard wide desire for that change. So why spend the valuable time working on it?

BUT something like being able to put gate scrolls in runebooks has been pretty openly agreed on by the entire thread. It would facilitate travel for both new and old players, create new possibility for template changes, and should be a relatively minor change.

Ideas are good. Discussion is good. But ideas that are discussed to the point that many players seen to be in agreement is better.

Snark, while fun and amusing, probably isn't going to help get a personal request pushed through the group. Better to explain the pros and cons of an idea and then have group discuss it. Siege has a lot of smart people.

Now, back to Game of Thrones....

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's such a joy to log in and get some snide comment from a jobless ass that never logs out. Oh wait, this isn't Rants and Spiels....

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh man, am I accidentally in a star wars game?! That would explain why I've sucked so badly at it!
Someone in one of the three threads I'm following mentioned going to the dark side and I picked up on it as fitting to the two sides here. Those backing the PKers and Thieves, and the opposite side being pretty much me so far. Probably could have gone with evil & good but dark & light seemed less hardcore. There's a lot of grey area between the extremes of Evil & Good.

I asked what everyone would like to see that would be Siege specific out of new expansion. The idea was to brainstorm a little, and get a GENERAL consensus on items that seem doable, reasonable, most are behind.
I tossed in some possibilities that follow the always spoken of Risk vs Reward scene so commonly spoken of on Siege. They apparently lean a bit to much toward Risk for the PKer & Thief and to much possible Reward for the non-PKer and non-Thief given the response so far.

The game I came back from used that Pillory by the bank scene off & on with a GM asking questions to be sure the Player was at the computer. Wouldn't have such GM support here though it was entertaining. :)

If only one or two even are pushing something, it doesn't show the devs there is a shard wide desire for that change. So why spend the valuable time working on it?
We'll have to see what other opinions on my ideas pop up over the next week. Most of my ideas may just inspire a grin and an "Oh yeah, right... " <lol> and get scrolled on past, some might like them. Time will tell.

Ideas are good. Discussion is good. But ideas that are discussed to the point that many players seen to be in agreement is better.
No argument there.

Snark, while fun and amusing, probably isn't going to help get a personal request pushed through the group. Better to explain the pros and cons of an idea and then have group discuss it. Siege has a lot of smart people.
Snark tends to be common in these forums. Speak an opinion opposite the common one and it comes flying. Part of life. I've learned to duck. :)

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I wonder how does one even fail to guard whack, since guards appear immediately and kill with one hit.
I remember the tales of people gating the bosses out of the dungeons into the city, where guards would battle them. They weren't instagibbing everyone back then.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By those criteria, Rico's admittedly biased requests for thieves would not be at the top because he is the only player pushing that agenda, and the changes aren't something that would help make siege attractive while retaining the flavor of the shard. That doesn't mean there aren't some interesting merits to things Rico has suggested. (Rico I'm not picking on you here, you are the example at hand because you posted most recently).
While I agree that many of my suggestions have always been centered around the thieving profession, there was a time a few years back that I was able to recruit a fair number of old thief players to Siege. Siege provided them a level of activity that they couldn't get when playing on the production shards. It's still the case...insurance nearly killed the PvP thief which has led many old thieves to leave the game.

However there are still plenty of us out there and if the shard could become the Mos Eisley (notice the Star Wars ref :)) of shards, it could be a way of building the population...la

Last edited:

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Well I can go around the town and yell "GUARDS GUARDS GUARDS". Just for the heck of it, not having any criminal in mind.
GUARDSGUARDSGUARDSGUARDSGUARDS
And then they won't come when I yell wolf.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I can go around the town and yell "GUARDS GUARDS GUARDS". Just for the heck of it, not having any criminal in mind.
GUARDSGUARDSGUARDSGUARDSGUARDS
And then they won't come when I yell wolf.
And you should be pilloried for calling the guards for no reason...that was my point...la

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Had an idea to add to the Risk vs Reward of Reds or those acting like them concerning champ spawn raids come to mind this morning. It would add some challenge and excitement for those raiding the spawn. :)

When more humans, elves, and gargoyles show up charging towards the champ spawn battle going on, the champ spawn monsters see them as reinforcements for those humans, elves, and gargoyles they are already fighting and move to attack them and block them joining those the monsters are already fighting and defeat their enemies in detail. (All monsters do a retargeting that includes the new arrivals and more monsters appear from hiding) This will add monsters to the battle for more fighting and loot and cause the new arrivals to get beat on a fair bit so that when they do engage those that have been doing the spawn from the start, the battle between the champ spawn raiders and those that have been doing the champ spawn from the start will be less one sided and more even, adding to the fun and challenge for both sides. Risk vs Reward. :)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tanivar, you need to get past the "reds ar bad" meme. Siege is a lot different when it comes to murderers. There certainly are many fewer than I can ever remember, but in our hayday our reds were nothing like the reds found on production shards.

Now that I've said that...I like you champ spawn suggestion. It would also be kind of fun if monsters dropped their agro and started attacking the new players to allow the ones that were there first to better protect themselves...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I guess Tanivar are bored and want every player to want to kill him or steal from him.
This attitude you have Tanivar are so against the spirit on Siege.
Even I get so mad at you, that I want to kill you, I doubt that attitude can be good for your shop.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even I get so mad at you, that I want to kill you...
That is one thing that has disappeared with time. There was always a bad guy or bad guild everyone had. When I say bad, I don't mean evil...I mean a group that players disliked. Back in the day, I remember the KGB crew had everyone upset at them. Darth and Yoda had their fan club. The Orcs and Undead would piss off non-roleplayers from time to time.

Oh, and the thieves we had were pretty much disliked by everyone (in the way that we were usually KoS). Red/Blue/Evil/Anti you name it, there was a group for everyone to dislike which kept the PvP frequent. Now it seems most players are friendly with each other. Maybe that's because so many of us have stuck around or lasted this long that we've gotten to know other players on gen chat or in-game and actually kinda like each other.

Who knows, maybe a player or guild of players who you don't like is what we need.

With all that said, I can't say there has ever been a player I disliked or went after in game because of my feelings for them. I guess I've always looked at UO as a game and never let emotions get the best of me...la

Mister Sinister

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Had an idea to add to the Risk vs Reward of Reds or those acting like them concerning champ spawn raids come to mind this morning. It would add some challenge and excitement for those raiding the spawn. :)

When more humans, elves, and gargoyles show up charging towards the champ spawn battle going on, the champ spawn monsters see them as reinforcements for those humans, elves, and gargoyles they are already fighting and move to attack them and block them joining those the monsters are already fighting and defeat their enemies in detail. (All monsters do a retargeting that includes the new arrivals and more monsters appear from hiding) This will add monsters to the battle for more fighting and loot and cause the new arrivals to get beat on a fair bit so that when they do engage those that have been doing the spawn from the start, the battle between the champ spawn raiders and those that have been doing the champ spawn from the start will be less one sided and more even, adding to the fun and challenge for both sides. Risk vs Reward. :)
champ spawns being raided is soooo a non issue these days! I have been back since October and have done lot's of champ spawns by now. All of them were rat spawns at despise, some of them solo most of them with 2 sometimes even 3 people. I have yet to be raided. I remember years ago before I quit you basically couldn't do despise unless you did it during the off hours because Pk guilds were raiding all the time...nowadays? not so much...

Mister Sinister

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
That is one thing that has disappeared with time. There was always a bad guy or bad guild everyone had. When I say bad, I don't mean evil...I mean a group that players disliked. Back in the day, I remember the KGB crew had everyone upset at them. Darth and Yoda had their fan club. The Orcs and Undead would piss off non-roleplayers from time to time.

Oh, and the thieves we had were pretty much disliked by everyone (in the way that we were usually KoS). Red/Blue/Evil/Anti you name it, there was a group for everyone to dislike which kept the PvP frequent. Now it seems most players are friendly with each other. Maybe that's because so many of us have stuck around or lasted this long that we've gotten to know other players on gen chat or in-game and actually kinda like each other.

Who knows, maybe a player or guild of players who you don't like is what we need.
I think there is a lot of truth in this observation. As much as I disliked the board drama that went along with it the great thing about controversy was the added ferocity of the battles with said "hated" guilds and individuals.
There was nothing as rewarding as finally being able to pay back someone who had wronged you before. Whether it was simply drylooting and excessive reskilling that made you dislike these people or whether it was betrayal of other sorts (houselooting, scamming etc.) - it kept you playing and added frustration but also a lot of fun!
Now I'm not saying that people should tart scamming others or something like that, but I do believe we could use a little more drama and added ferocity to our ingame battles.

Reactions: Kat

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
With all that said, I can't say there has ever been a player I disliked or went after in game because of my feelings for them. I guess I've always looked at UO as a game and never let emotions get the best of me...la
I do not get mad easy and can't stay mad for long but I do have some temper and it annoy me a lot, that Tanivar are blinded of 17 years old hate to red and thieves. If we did not like a little spice here, we would all play Trammel.

I better stop now, I should not post, when I'm mad :p

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That can be arranged, I'm sure. ;)

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man I wish I could say the same. In my more "sauced" days, I let my feelings get the best of me more times than I can count. But, I look back on this as passion for the game and the people I had been playing with for years.

Anyways. I wish I still had screen shots of some of the fun fights we had with TnT, KSS, Waka, VmP, Orcs, Undead, a few tax collectors and many others. The screen was filled with names.. and this was nightly if not multiple times during the day. Player run towns were actually active communities where people interacted whether it was a raid, player run event or even a wedding.

That was the soul of Siege in its prime. Today its nothing but an empty shell of the server it once was. THIS is why people left the server and/or game. As for people like Tavinar.. Siege in its current state is fun for them. Probably because he never experienced the passion, friendships, disputes and community that Siege once provided.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tanivar, you need to get past the "reds ar bad" meme. Siege is a lot different when it comes to murderers. There certainly are many fewer than I can ever remember, but in our hayday our reds were nothing like the reds found on production shards.
I've had little trouble with reds on Siege, rarely seen one in fact. There are two viewpoints on life though, good & bad, or put another way, those who don't feel inclined to harm others and those that are inclined to harm others.

The Siege experience is vastly different from my past Fel years of experience that has so soured my attitude on Reds. Reds are not popular souls with most people, and I go with the general opinion that they made their beds, they can lay in them.

The Forums & In Game are separate things. My opinons and attitude here as a Player, and the attitudes of Tanivar & Landreu as people living on Siege are separate things. I and they live in very different worlds.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yes but and an old Siege player hat a saying, something like "post **** on forum and die", no matter what you say, it will be Tanivar & Landreu, who pay for what you post here, always been that way :p

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess Tanivar are bored and want every player to want to kill him or steal from him.
This attitude you have Tanivar are so against the spirit on Siege.
Even I get so mad at you, that I want to kill you, I doubt that attitude can be good for your shop.
Your welcome to come after my characters Freja if it'll help your blood pressure. You know where they work out of.

If no one buys from my shop over my forum opinions and my pro-sheep suggestions above, so be it. <shrugs> I can always fall back on Tanivar & Landreu doing just foraging and selling to bazaar vendors on New Magincia. Life on Siege goes on.

I do not get mad easy and can't stay mad for long but I do have some temper and it annoy me a lot, that Tanivar are blinded of 17 years old hate to red and thieves. If we did not like a little spice here, we would all play Trammel.
It isn't any 17 years of hate Freja that inspired those suggestions above, like I said at the top of the first suggestions, it was done with a mischievous grin.

Most on the Siege threads post suggestions that favor the Pkers and Thieves to make life on Siege better for them at the expense of the sheep. I decided to post some that would make life better for the sheep at the expense of the PKers & Thieves, the other side of the same coin. Is it that aspect or the repeated mentioning of the Risk vs Reward thing that's driving you up a wall?

There are two viewpoints on life though, good & bad, or put another way, those who don't feel inclined to harm others and those that are inclined to harm others. We all stand at different positions between those two ideas.

I better stop now, I should not post, when I'm mad :p
I agree with that. I've made the same mistake myself very recently in that post with the word ashat strewn through it. Definitely was over the line with that one by a lightyear or two.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes but and an old Siege player hat a saying, something like "post **** on forum and die", no matter what you say, it will be Tanivar & Landreu, who pay for what you post here, always been that way :p
So be it. <shrugs>

And what is **** on the forums is a matter of viewpoint. <chuckles> Like the difference between terrorists and freedom fighters is simply which side of things your looking at them from.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reds are not popular souls with most people, and I go with the general opinion that they made their beds, they can lay in them.
Oh I agree. It was one of the hardest things to get people to understand when they came to Siege (back when you would see reds everywhere). Many of the Siege reds in the past were either red for roleplaying purposes, or for killing other players. Those who killed other players weren't out killing every blue they ran into, many were red for killing the notos and guardzone huggers.

As I used to tell new Siege players, not all reds are bad and not all blues are good...la