• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Selling Stratics?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You mean the money coming in that has more than doubled since Ron bought Stratics? The site is and has been heading in the right direction financially, that's why I posted above that I know costs were not the definitive factor in him deciding to sell.
The CPA says: trust but verify.

Flippa auction currently shows only 12 months of financial information. Another 24-36 months worth of information would be nice to see.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
MEBE KING OZOG SHOULS BYES IT
LEARN YOOS ALL HOWS TO TALK
PITMUCK BIDS 2000 TURNIPS

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Think I'll take the wife out to dinner and get her some flowers and have a little talk with her this evening....wish me luck..
Does she play? On something expense, I find it helps to be prepared to offer up an awesome gift to the wife. Just sit down prepared to bargain!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
But we haven't taken down any real estate that wasn't gone when he took over ownership of the site!
I feel this isn't correct, but I don't feel that this is the place to discuss it.

PM me if youd like to continue to discuss it.

The point wasn't to take a jab at Ron, I feel he did fine. Just took it a different direction than I would have.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Here's a new IPad sweetie, with all your romance novels already pre loaded on to it... and bejeweled. Now... lets talk about how I need to spend 6k on a website so the world can be a better place.
Well with me... I find if I wanna buy something that isn't exactly necessary for 6K, I need to be prepared to let her get something goofy at about 2K. The cost of doing business :)

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
No one has mentioned it yet, but I guess this also means the information you've provided for your accounts is also for sale. :) Hope none of what you've provided matches other login information.

Crazy White Boy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In all seriousness, I hope whoever wins this auction will truly plan advancing its value to the overall UO Community. Someone who has some involvement in the game, and not just some random blogger or gamer company looking to make a quick buck. I also hope that whoever purchases the website continues to work with @Kyronix @Bleak and @Mesanna to keep open all dialogue within the community.

In my humble opinion, the Stratics experience has improved quite a bit since I returned full time a year or so ago (and is much better than when I used the site a decade ago). The forums have taken some nice steps in the last year, so I hope whoever takes it won't materially alter the current status. All of the various sub-forums, and the old website with its numerous posts and information on the game, are truly invaluable to the overall UO Community. I hope whoever wins this is not only a player, but someone who would better organize some of the resources on the old site for the benefit of the official Broadsword Wiki. I hope it will be someone who puts the game first, keeps open all communication (including dissenting opinions), and won't abuse power to advance any particular agenda.
Since tradespot shut down. =|

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
offer a great lakes luna house, a godly 211 stam archer suit, and some nice EM rares. will throw in platinums if need be.
What GL lunar house you own smoot?just curious......I got oneverything on GL too

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I'd pitch in but in no way would I want to be responsible for anything.

Statics would have to have a clear direction, along with restoring the main page linking all the information.
I'd chip in if someone who actually cared, knew what they were doing, and has done it before. I wouldn't even want any return. Just keep it in a loyal UO players hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I would 'chip in' if the right pool of buyers formed up and also assist in taking on any responsibilities necessary.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I'd chip in if someone who actually cared, knew what they were doing, and has done it before. I wouldn't even want any return. Just keep it in a loyal UO players hand.

I care. I know what I am doing. I've done it before.
JS

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The whole chip in thing to buy it is something I considered, but I haven't checked into the legal ramifications of that (taxes, etc.) I, for one, while interested in running Stratics do not have the time or energy this month to look into the legal side of things if I were to work with people to create a fund to buy it. And the legal side of things is where it all gets messy.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
I would chip in $600! Seriously find more people @SoulWeaver

Yeah I'd pitch in but in no way would I want to be responsible for anything.

Statics would have to have a clear direction, along with restoring the main page linking all the information.
I would 'chip in' if the right pool of buyers formed up and also assist in taking on any responsibilities necessary.
I care. I know what I am doing. I've done it before.
JS
The whole chip in thing to buy it is something I considered, but I haven't checked into the legal ramifications of that (taxes, etc.) I, for one, while interested in running Stratics do not have the time or energy this month to look into the legal side of things if I were to work with people to create a fund to buy it. And the legal side of things is where it all gets messy.
Hey, does this mean , that we're halfway there? :wink:

@Kayhynn , could we run it as a nonprofit organization?

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
@Kayhynn , could we run it as a nonprofit organization?
You would still have to pay the seller.
Forming a non-profit with beginning debt is very much frowned upon by the IRS.

What would be a good way to gather money is to solicit angel-investors, set goals with clear expectations for the site within a certain time frame, and then raise the funds to repay the investors to make the site completely "free of debt". Only then would application for non-profit status be feasible, but there are still challenges with that.

Yes, I know these things...

*returns to lurking*

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Costs

The only mandatory cost associated with the website is the server. The website is currently hosted on a cloud server with DreamHost for $100/month. Prior to September 2015, the website was hosted for free as a part of a promotional offer, so the monthly expense was $0.

Maybe this is the reason for the sale. All very well when there are no mandatory costs attached but as soon as there is its ditched.
That is not his reasoning, let me assure you of that. I'm not at liberty to discuss why he's decided to sell it, but I will say that I understand and even though I know it is a large risk on who the new owner will be, I have to support his reasoning.
Hmmm. Colour me dubious. seems quite a coincidence that shortly after the point is reached where there is a server charge it goes up for sale. There is however another possibility....

I was always a bit sceptical when the UO forums were seperated out from the rest of the gaming community forums and given there own site. Of course they stated the reasons as blah blah blah but I always suspected that the real reason was that it would save a whole lot of hassle when UO eventually shut down and the UO section of the forums became redundant. Im wondering now if the tip off from EA has come through and this is a cash in with the knowledge that in 6-12 months UO will be no more.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Hmmm. Colour me dubious. seems quite a coincidence that shortly after the point is reached where there is a server charge it goes up for sale. There is however another possibility....

I was always a bit sceptical when the UO forums were seperated out from the rest of the gaming community forums and given there own site. Of course they stated the reasons as blah blah blah but I always suspected that the real reason was that it would save a whole lot of hassle when UO eventually shut down and the UO section of the forums became redundant. Im wondering now if the tip off from EA has come through and this is a cash in with the knowledge that in 6-12 months UO will be no more.
I haven't been told anything like that. I think the game will still be around for years.

Regards,

Ron Bron

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'd be thinking it's more to do with the New UO website from Broadsword. They added a Wiki and have stated that they "will" be adding a forums.
Sort of makes everything else redundant when that will become the Official forums for UO.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't been told anything like that. I think the game will still be around for years.

Regards,

Ron Bron
Of course it will. It will be around probably forever in freeshard form.

Even if you had some information and were bailing then you obviously couldnt say that so your denial is kind of moot.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I doubt UO are going anywhere. we (the players) have survived 18 years. we was between the first of this kind of game. We had seen so many new games come and go but we are still here.
UO have something only few games have, the feeling of being a world you live in, not just a game. UO is my second life and this page is a part of my second world.
A lot of us had been here from the early UO days and I believe UO will still be here for it's 20, 30 years birthday.
UO is about friends, online "family" and so are this forum.

Now what would happen to the community here, if UO really did shut down? I believe we would stay here as community and maybe find a new game to rebuild our chars and rebuild our second life in but maybe one of the UO clones we don't speak about, would be strong enough to take over. UO won't die that easy.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Typically the selling will goes about a domain. This means only the right to be the owner of a void stratics.com. The post on flippa reads like you will get the "software" and volunteers also (and of course the information about the users). So what is the selling about. Only the domain or the fully operational webstuff? And no i am not interested in the site. Just for understanding what will await us.

I think for the worst case, some of the informations which was collected since the last 17 years should be saved for a relaunch under another domain or the relaunch of this site under a new owner. I talk about stuf like "how is reforgin working", "historical informations" and so on.

Even if i use statics seldom, it would be a hole in the WW community of UO gamers.
At least we have one english forum on our German website. I am sure we could open it for all players if stratics vanishes ;-))

And thanks to all volunteers which has served to our needs in the past,present and maybe future.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'd be thinking it's more to do with the New UO website from Broadsword. They added a Wiki and have stated that they "will" be adding a forums.
Sort of makes everything else redundant when that will become the Official forums for UO.
Maybe they should buy the whole forum and they would get a perfect forum, with all the UO history and loyal volunteers and community. Just my wish thinking. Then make it so connecting your account here to your master account, well give you subscriber advantage = Stratics Professional Accounts. And changes the avatar banner something that tell you are an active UO player. If non of your accounts are active, the advantage and banner will changes.

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe they should buy the whole forum and they would get a perfect forum, with all the UO history and loyal volunteers and community. Just my wish thinking. Then make it so connecting your account here to your master account, well give you subscriber advantage = Stratics Professional Accounts. And changes the avatar banner something that tell you are an active UO player. If non of your accounts are active, the advantage and banner will changes.
Excellent idea :)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Excellent idea :)
Actually it's not.

Couple of things you have to consider.

Broadsword and/or EA would most likely have rules on the forum that are designed to protect their Intellectual Property that would most likely be far stricter than what we have here now.

Tying a game account to the Forums would also mean when one is banned the other is, so yea getting banned in game for actions on the forums? Not exactly what I would want to see.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Broadsword and/or EA would most likely have rules on the forum that are designed to protect their Intellectual Property that would most likely be far stricter than what we have here now.
I remember good old MyUO forum. I sure wish it back. They too want to keep their subscribers and get lost ones back.

Tying a game account to the Forums would also mean when one is banned the other is, so yea getting banned in game for actions on the forums? Not exactly what I would want to see.
Depend of how it is done. Sure there should be advantages and more options to paying subscribers in good standing. I'm sure it would be possible to limit a subscribers posting right without kicking them from the game.

But still, it may not happen. I just hope the new owner love UO as much as we do.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
actually circumvent a perma ban by opening a new account is actionable....bye :)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The old UO forums were tied to accounts. Because of that they were a little more lenient and players were a little more tame. Would love to see UO bring back their forums...la

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
actually circumvent a perma ban by opening a new account is actionable....bye :)
Not always, in the past some folks have gotten a reprieve. We're talking about a 18y/o website, you'd hope people have grown a little in that time.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I doubt UO are going anywhere. we (the players) have survived 18 years. we was between the first of this kind of game. We had seen so many new games come and go but we are still here.
UO have something only few games have, the feeling of being a world you live in, not just a game. UO is my second life and this page is a part of my second world.
A lot of us had been here from the early UO days and I believe UO will still be here for it's 20, 30 years birthday.
UO is about friends, online "family" and so are this forum.

Now what would happen to the community here, if UO really did shut down? I believe we would stay here as community and maybe find a new game to rebuild our chars and rebuild our second life in but maybe one of the UO clones we don't speak about, would be strong enough to take over. UO won't die that easy.

Boy that is some wishful thinking.

Each year our player base gets worse and our subscription numbers get lower. It's a fact of any video game - the years go on and people play newer and betters ones. Look at WOW. Once over 12 million subs strong, now announcing to the press after dropping to 5 million, they will no longer report their subscription numbers. Why? Because they know it's going to get worse. And low numbers look bad because they eventually point to the inevitable.

EA has already shown their lack of interest in owning UO by passing off the responsibilities to other vendors. They offer us no customer service and could care less about our wants and needs. They haven't for years. It's sad to say, but UO has suffered terrible mismanagement since 2000. Profits were used to build and scrap ideas left and right. They pissed away all the potential the game had. And we won't get that back.

Eventually some senior level manager will look at the meager profits UO does make, and realize the game simply isn't worth keeping open any longer. We can pretend that the couple of million UO makes means something, but to a company that reports in the multi-billions, it doesn't.

We'll be a footnote in video game history.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Each year our player base gets worse and our subscription numbers get lower. It's a fact of any video game - the years go on and people play newer and betters ones. Look at WOW. Once over 12 million subs strong, now announcing to the press after dropping to 5 million, they will no longer report their subscription numbers. Why? Because they know it's going to get worse. And low numbers look bad because they eventually point to the inevitable.

EA has already shown their lack of interest in owning UO by passing off the responsibilities to other vendors. They offer us no customer service and could care less about our wants and needs. They haven't for years. It's sad to say, but UO has suffered terrible mismanagement since 2000. Profits were used to build and scrap ideas left and right. They pissed away all the potential the game had. And we won't get that back.

Eventually some senior level manager will look at the meager profits UO does make, and realize the game simply isn't worth keeping open any longer. We can pretend that the couple of million UO makes means something, but to a company that reports in the multi-billions, it doesn't.

Sad but true.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

They said the same thing back in 99.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its not enforceable at all. ive been told this many times by the mods. which is why we have a good number of users here that were previously banned, and will continue to push the limits because another ban in the ends means nothing.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They said the same thing back in 99.

No way. In 99 they were almost done with UO2 - a massive, expensive project that would have revolutionized the MMO genre. Watch the old promo videos of the game - It had the look of WOW years before WOW existed. And after wasting untold millions developing it, some moron pulled the plug and allowed WOW to swoop in a few years later and take ownership of the entire MMO market.

This is only some of the mismanagement poor UO has suffered, but probably the most egregious.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its not enforceable at all. ive been told this many times by the mods. which is why we have a good number of users here that were previously banned, and will continue to push the limits because another ban in the ends means nothing.
Please shoot me a pm letting me know which mods are telling you this so I can get with them to make sure they arn't misinforming anyone. Ban evasion is an actionable offense. If your statement is merely in regards to people or groups whom you THINK should be banned, then no pm is necessary.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please shoot me a pm letting me know which mods are telling you this so I can get with them to make sure they arn't misinforming anyone. Ban evasion is an actionable offense. If your statement is merely in regards to people or groups whom you THINK should be banned, then no pm is necessary.
Kirthag (when she was admin) captain norrington, riyana, ron bron, basically everyone i asked said theres absolutely no way to ban someone because its impossible to prove anything.

so no, theres no way to get banned from stratics. thats a given. Mike D made a new account everyday for how long?