• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Selling Stratics?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Think you need to clean your reading glasses.

shameless
adjective
lacking any sense of shame : immodest; audacious.
insensible to disgrace.
showing no shame.
I am fully aware of the definition and my glasses are quite clean.....it is called humor, Obviously Podo got it! But there is no accounting for taste with those who lack originally. :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
has anyone commented or noticed that the only people bidding after the first couple days are "new bidders" someone with no reputation on flippa?? makes you wonder if some or any of those bids are legitimate or if someone is just playing a game to screw people over or to drive up the price???

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
has anyone commented or noticed that the only people bidding after the first couple days are "new bidders" someone with no reputation on flippa?? makes you wonder if some or any of those bids are legitimate or if someone is just playing a game to screw people over or to drive up the price???
Unfortunately there's no real way to know those things, but I don't personally believe there is any "shill bidding" going on. Flippa has very strong rules against that practice.

Our thought is that it's more likely community- or game-related investors who don't typically buy and sell on Flippa. In fact, when and if the senior staff enter our bid, we will also show up as a "new bidder..."

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you dont think anyone in the community might place a bid to bump the price a few $$?? I am not talking about Ron or anyone connected to him....I mean perhap there are people not happy about the present plan by stratics staff.or just wanting to say later they bid on it.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
you dont think anyone in the community might place a bid to bump the price a few $$?? I am not talking about Ron or anyone connected to him....I mean perhap there are people not happy about the present plan by stratics staff.or just wanting to say later they bid on it.
I'd say they are running a big risk by doing so, lets say they make a bid purposely to attempt to bump the price up. If by chance they wound up being the highest bidder, their Paypal account would be automatically deducted after the auction, as they'll need to enter the info on a verified Paypal account when making the bid. That could be one heck of an overdraft if they were doing it strictly for the purpose of well more or less trolling the auction participants.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say they are running a big risk by doing so, lets say they make a bid purposely to attempt to bump the price up. If by chance they wound up being the highest bidder, their Paypal account would be automatically deducted after the auction, as they'll need to enter the info on a verified Paypal account when making the bid. That could be one heck of an overdraft if they were doing it strictly for the purpose of well more or less trolling the auction participants.
I didnt think anything could be automatically deducted from a paypal account. I believe you have to log into paypal yourself and verify....but perhaps I am wrong. I apologize for diverting the thread....I just know what some trolls can be like.........

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I didnt think anything could be automatically deducted from a paypal account. I believe you have to log into paypal yourself and verify....but perhaps I am wrong. I apologize for diverting the thread....I just know what some trolls can be like.........
Basically you are pre-authorizing it when you make the bid, at least that's how I'm assuming it works based on what I read.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If eBay can't prevent fake or shill bidding then Flippa can't. There are lots of high profile auctions on eBay that fail all the time.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So lets say the staff is unable to acquire the site and someone else gets it. I would assume they will have access to all aspects of the site. For instance IP addresses of all account. Or more importantly....all the GM/EM's that have frequented the site and have an alternative account as well....no?

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Anyone with Admin rights can see IPs.
Moderators cannot see IPs.

*edit*
Lemme clarify...
IF someone other than the new stratics board wins the auction, that person (or organization) has the following options:

1. Joining the forum as a member, moderator or admin
  2. Not joining the forum at all
Should the new owner (be it an individual or organization) decide NOT to join the forum... well the options go...
  1. keeping staff the way it is
  2. kicking all staff and setting up their own team
Then...there is always this:
  1. kicking all staff and operating the forum & wordpress & php sites on their own (highly unlikely)
  2. kicking all staff, shutting down the forum, trashing all the content in the WP & PHP sites & using the brand for something entirely different
  3. reworking the content & flipping the site for "profit"
There are more options, they are only limited by whomever wins the auction. The above are the "most likely" scenarios and what I've seen done to sites that have gone through Flippa.

Basically, a person with admin rights can see into the IP logs of the software - anyone with access to the server can see the IP logs there as well.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So lets say the staff is unable to acquire the site and someone else gets it. I would assume they will have access to all aspects of the site. For instance IP addresses of all account. Or more importantly....all the GM/EM's that have frequented the site and have an alternative account as well....no?
looking to make a purchase to settle your curiosity...lol It really has never been that hard to figure many of the EM and GM's....but as it stands now only Admins and Ron have access to that info

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anyone with Admin rights can see IPs.
Moderators cannot see IPs.

*edit*
Lemme clarify...
IF someone other than the new stratics board wins the auction, that person (or organization) has the following options:

1. Joining the forum as a member, moderator or admin
  2. Not joining the forum at all
Should the new owner (be it an individual or organization) decide NOT to join the forum... well the options go...
  1. keeping staff the way it is
  2. kicking all staff and setting up their own team
Then...there is always this:
  1. kicking all staff and operating the forum & wordpress & php sites on their own (highly unlikely)
  2. kicking all staff, shutting down the forum, trashing all the content in the WP & PHP sites & using the brand for something entirely different
  3. reworking the content & flipping the site for "profit"
There are more options, they are only limited by whomever wins the auction. The above are the "most likely" scenarios and what I've seen done to sites that have gone through Flippa.

Basically, a person with admin rights can see into the IP logs of the software - anyone with access to the server can see the IP logs there as well.
Yes however if they did number 2 or 3 you'd think that would be counterproductive since all the "numbers" of visitors and all that is based off of US coming here and reading the forums on a regular basis.... take away our reason to come here and then you have to build a new base of folk... really can't see why anyone would buy a site like this based on the numbers given knowing full well that Ron has stated it's not making the profit he thought it would etc... So anyone who is bidding to buy it either is cracked in the head or has plans for it one would think would be to keep it going... or one would hope.

You'd have to get a whole new crowd of people to the site if you changed it completely because none of us would continue to use the site if they removed all this content. So kinda not getting why anyone else would even bother bidding. It's not like Stratics is some secret or in name itself is a wonder. Just saying.

Now if I win the Lottery Drawing on Wed.... no worries I'll just buy it.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
@MalagAste
To be perfectly honest, I've seen people do some really crazy **** when they buy a "... well established domain..." (meaning a domain that has been around as long as Stratics has).

I agree completely with what you are saying, really I do. I just know what some people do with domains and websites. People who buy/sell/flip domains are really not in it for community sake - all they care about are numbers and dollars.

For example... two very old sites that got flipped and domains either trashed or sold:
Worth1000 is being moved into DesignCrowd - a complete rebranding and killing of the old domain when it expires. It has alienated a lot of the old timers. Although the site is "modernized" now - a lot of people are asking that their artwork be removed from the site.

Elfwood is still Elfwood - but everything is changed so much many of the old timers are departing and asking their artwork be removed from there as well.

It is part of the cycle of things when community sites are bought/sold into the money game.

~~~~~

On a more positive note...

I do hope the "new Stratics board" wins out - and to help that I plan to stream over the next few days and drive people to the indiegogo page.... I'll be streaming Diablo, UO, some Firefall, SotA and ESO and other games I play.... if ppl wanna join me. As my kids and grandbabies are all on the east coast...my xmas is rather boring so I'll liven it up with this. :)

I'll be posting my schedule and times to the kirthag facebook page if anyone cares to venture there... or ppl can visit kirthag's site - I'll be bouncing between Twitch and Hitbox. ICQ will be DND while I'm streaming. Is not the fanciest of sites as I've been so busy haven't been keeping it up to date... but yeah... so there. Who knows, I might have some give-away-stuff laying around here somewheres.....

*disclaimer*
and fyi... am doing this as a solitary person supporting a website she believes in. I am not doing this on behalf of anyone but me, myself, and Kirthag. :p Like... a Booster thing, ya know? If Stratics staffers wanna join me in a game, they do so of their own free will. This is just me... doing what I can to help.