• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Selling Stratics?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I will slap down $10,000 just so everyone has to call me Supreme Commander. (New rule #1). "Your excellency" will also suffice.
Maybe your excellency could not make the forums the main portal to Stratics. Seems to by pass the entire rest of the site. Somehow UO Guide seems to have taken the crown on all things not forums.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
In all seriousness, I hope whoever wins this auction will truly plan advancing its value to the overall UO Community. Someone who has some involvement in the game, and not just some random blogger or gamer company looking to make a quick buck. I also hope that whoever purchases the website continues to work with @Kyronix @Bleak and @Mesanna to keep open all dialogue within the community.

In my humble opinion, the Stratics experience has improved quite a bit since I returned full time a year or so ago (and is much better than when I used the site a decade ago). The forums have taken some nice steps in the last year, so I hope whoever takes it won't materially alter the current status. All of the various sub-forums, and the old website with its numerous posts and information on the game, are truly invaluable to the overall UO Community. I hope whoever wins this is not only a player, but someone who would better organize some of the resources on the old site for the benefit of the official Broadsword Wiki. I hope it will be someone who puts the game first, keeps open all communication (including dissenting opinions), and won't abuse power to advance any particular agenda.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would not click on that link...just saying... be carefull

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In all seriousness, I hope whoever wins this auction will truly plan advancing its value to the overall UO Community. Someone who has some involvement in the game, and not just some random blogger or gamer company looking to make a quick buck. I also hope that whoever purchases the website continues to work with @Kyronix @Bleak and @Mesanna to keep open all dialogue within the community.
Would make a bit of sense for the UO team to buy it or setup an "offical" forum for Ultima Online. I'm sure they have plans to do it sometime soon™.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe becuase ive lost the first 3 years being hacked iam a little cautious to say the least...

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its not nice when u log in and uve been dry bum f******. with a helping of sand ....and cleaned out...... ok!!!????!!!!???

and the GMs cant do diddle squat/..... like the new games do now

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
maybe becuase ive lost the first 3 years being hacked iam a little cautious to say the least...
The website is fine. Flippa is a legit auction website. The concern isn't the link, but rather if it is a real auction. There have been concerns in the past that non-owners of a website will attempt to sell something, or will be selling something that isn't really the website but rather is duplicate pages that won't actually show in Google or Bing searches.

With that said... can @Ron Bron confirm this is a legitimate auction?

Would make a bit of sense for the UO team to buy it or setup an "offical" forum for Ultima Online. I'm sure they have plans to do it sometime soon™.
I'm sure there are others who wouldn't agree, but I'm not opposed to the idea of having Broadsword buy the site to finally make it an official forum. Downside would be that developer resources are already limited and they don't need to be babysitting the various non-useful BS that goes on here.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
its not nice when u log in and uve been dry bum f******. with a helping of sand ....and cleaned out...... ok!!!????!!!!???

and the GMs cant do diddle squat/..... like the new games do now
Respectfully, that is all totally irrelevant to this auction.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UO had "official" forums. They bailed out and at least originally Stratics became the official forums. Not sure what changed over the years. But it would be nothing for EA to create forums if they wished. EA has no interest in spending money on something like that to maintain it and pay workers to supervise the animals. Ever since the successful volunteer lawsuit against UO I don't think EA would go the volunteer route. Otherwise they would need to make a noticeable payroll to run it. At a 300 a month profit that wouldn't even pay one legit employee for one week a month. I'm even thinking the current login problems might be something to do with EA saving a buck with UO's bandwidth and equipment. Although everything I read seems to show EA has been turning a nice buck. Even then though EA doesn't do volunteer work. If EA can't make a nice buck off something it's time is limited.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Back to the serious posts -

I'm surprised that current bid of $5500 is only at 1.6x annual revenue ($3,430) and 2.3x gross profit ($2,340). I would be curious to see additional annual revenue information about the website and what taxes, if any, were paid.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Where did the info about Professional and Premium members go, I would like to be sure to cancel mine if this auction are true.

Nevermind, found it

Last edited:

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Back to the serious posts -

I'm surprised that current bid of $5500 is only at 1.6x annual revenue ($3,430) and 2.3x gross profit ($2,340). I would be curious to see additional annual revenue information about the website and what taxes, if any, were paid.

22 days left in the auction. It will go up.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Maybe your excellency could not make the forums the main portal to Stratics. Seems to by pass the entire rest of the site. Somehow UO Guide seems to have taken the crown on all things not forums.
Consider it done. The only catch is that Rick Astley will play in the background of every page.

You're welcome.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Always loving a good conspiracy theory... Does Stratics have inside info? Is it time to bail on UO?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
22 days left in the auction. It will go up.
This is true. However, it bears to note that Flippa auctions in some cases allow the seller to move the deadline forward by lowering the reserve to one dollar less than the highest bid. So essentially, it can end at seller's discretion should they employ such tactic.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
On ebay the auction doesn't start till the last 30 seconds lol
Its curious that the timing falls so close to Christmas. While December is a big time for consumer sales, its not generally a major acquisition time for businesses. I wonder if Flippa has a 10 minute rule ;)

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
All right, folks. Let's keep this polite. A few posts have been removed--please keep your comments on topic and not personal. This topic is bound to raise hackles but let's not get carried away and take it out on each other. Thank you.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its curious that the timing falls so close to Christmas. While December is a big time for consumer sales, its not generally a major acquisition time for businesses. I wonder if Flippa has a 10 minute rule ;)
I did see that the reserve has already been met. I can not see acquiring the site to make a profit without a lot of time and promotion. I think it will be acquired by a die hard UO fan with enough disposable income to incur the loss. I'm sure everyone has heard the rumors that UO is going to build their own forums? And one day, who knows when, UO will shut its doors. So yeah you go into this purchase knowing it is not about recouping your investment.

If I hadn't just been on a cruise, bought the wife a new wedding ring, started building a new 'puter and Christmas is looming, I might have thought about it.......Bad timing @Ron Bron!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I did see that the reserve has already been met. I can not see acquiring the site to make a profit without a lot of time and promotion. I think it will be acquired by a die hard UO fan with enough disposable income to incur the loss. I'm sure everyone has heard the rumors that UO is going to build their own forums? And one day, who knows when, UO will shut its doors. So yeah you go into this purchase knowing it is not about recouping your investment.

If I hadn't just been on a cruise, bought the wife a new wedding ring, started building a new 'puter and Christmas is looming, I might have thought about it.......Bad timing @Ron Bron!
I didn't see reserve had been met. I saw a post in comments from seller that mentioning reserve is outside the bounds of Flippa's rules.

I will watch closely over the next week and consider making a bid myself. However, with Christmas looming and a vacation on the horizon first week of January, I will also have to say this is bad timing. I would also like to see and more financial information they have, if available, before more seriously contemplating a bid.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
This is for real??? If so, what's next? An auction for Broadsword??? :eek:

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you read the comments: "I am selling because the site has not met my financial goals". That's cute he expected high profits from the forum of a game that has been in steady decline for years?

Maybe what's his name will buy it back or even @JC the Builder since he continues to keep uoguide with a better layout.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is true. However, it bears to note that Flippa auctions in some cases allow the seller to move the deadline forward by lowering the reserve to one dollar less than the highest bid. So essentially, it can end at seller's discretion should they employ such tactic.
From Flippa "Reserve met" so the seller will prob. just leave it up to see how much they can get.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure that there is a way to make much of a profit from this type of site. Membership, or affiliate sales is really the only way. As you can see, their AdSense earnings are pretty bad, but that goes for most sites that have somewhat technical users (they use ad blockers more than most)...la

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics is indeed for sale on Flippa. As has always been the case throughout Stratics' 18-year history, the culture and success of the site are shaped through our community of loyal users, and the volunteers who manage the day-to-day operations of the site. That is something that will never change.

The current leadership team is working to make the transition as smooth as possible. @Nexus will act as Operations Manager, providing general leadership over the following weeks and during the change of ownership. All other leaders will continue in their current roles (@Zuckuss, @Elenni, @Riyana, @Captn Norrington, @Oscar the Grouch, @Larisa, @Tamais). Although the leadership team is not overseeing the auction itself, you can reach out to them with questions about site operations, as usual. I have also spoken with @Mesanna about the sale, so we are doing our best to stay coordinated with Broadsword. Our goal is to make the change in ownership an unremarkable event.

As I'm sure many here would agree, change is never an easy thing -- and to that end we appreciate the sensitivity of our long-standing Community members as we navigate through this process. If there are those of you who are legitimately interested in purchasing the site, please create a Flippa account and send me a PM me with any questions you have.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You do understand that Ron does not own Stratics and probably has no say in the owner selling it.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can reach out to them with questions about site operations, as usual.
Will they only sell to people who have an actual interest in the well being of Ultima Online and the community or will it just be sold to the highest bidder?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Does any one know how many times Stratics has changed hands in the past 18 years? Just curious.
If nothing else, it's interesting times.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran