• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire...

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The elf question: That depends on you. There are advantages to both, but the extra 20 mana is very valuable to me. Therefore, I chose elf.

The parry question: Again, that depends on your style. I wouldn't go without it. Duku does quite well without it.

Stats depends on your weaponry. If you only use a high speed, high swing speed weapon like soul seeker, then you don't need a lot of dex. If you want to use the ornate axes effectively, then you need at least 150 stamina, if not more, and that means as much dex as you can get in addition to stamina boosting items.

You only need enough intelligence to get the specials off. If you can work a little bit more intelligence in there, then repeat-casting (or chaining) specials can be very worth while. I would suggest 30-40 int.

That leaves the rest of your stats in strength. Depending on what armor you use, you may not need to go all the way to 100 strength if you PvM. My non vampire samurai has less than 100 str and he does fine. My vampire samurai has less than 150 stamina (about 120 after bonusses) and he does well with a high SSI diamond mace with mana leech or wind's edge.

Stats, however, are very easy to manipulate once you're skill capped simply mark a capped skill to up (I use tactics) and the stats fly to wherever you want within a couple of minutes. So go with what feels right and adjust until it feels better.

Anyhow, the simplest version of pro's and con's of sampire:
Pro:
Life leech with EVERY hit
Poison resistance
Con:
Need a whole lot of fire resist
Can't use cure poisons

The cons are easily counterable. You can simply ignore the poisons that aren't resistable, as you'll leech more life than the poison does damage. And the fire resist is easily aquired through better armor/jewelery.

D

Duku

yes but what r the exact properties of ur katana and bone harvester?
Ah sorry..

Bone (a present from a nice frend ^^):
HLA 30
HML 49
HL 50
SSI 25
DI 45

Katana (founded while i was demon hunting):
HLA 45
HML 40
HSL 32
SSI 20
DI 50

@ the 4th man: Farsight explained perfectly ^^

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Farsight, Duku, you guys have given me alot of help, and I appreciate it, one thing escapes me.....correct me if I'm wrong......a sampire is a combo of bushido and necro, in vampire form....right?

how do you guys go from 35-40 upto 99? or maybe I got this wrong......

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They use the fact that there isn't an equipment skill point cap....

They put on midnight bracers (+20 necro - usually a cursed one), Necro Ring & Bracelet (+15 each for a total of +30), hold an Ossian Grimoire (+15), a Bloodwood spirit (yet another +necro bonus), and maybe even a Necro Mark fo the Travesty, to cast Vampiric Embrace with little or no real Necro skill - the 35 points mark is to get the skill, with equipment, to where it is usually successful on the first attempt.

I personally consider the Sampire template an exploit, unless one actually puts 70 or more real skill into necro, or the spell should require an equal amount of spirit speak to the necro casting requirement (by God, if my warriors can get crippled by a BS "real tactics" requirement being added to special moves, the Necro skill should have the same limitation for what is effectively a constant special ability from Vampire form)

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, seeing how most that gear is financially out my reach, I'm lucky to have necro 73. something on another char already......thnx for the info tho.

D

Downfall

OK, this is going to be my first attempt at Soloing Dread Horn. Anyone have any advice? Anything said can be usefull.
I have 70 physical, fire, and poison resists, ~65 energy and cold. Tons of aides (going in with 1000), Agility potions, and a pretty good Ornate, with the Souls Seeker as backup.

Do greater cure potions cure Dread Horn's poison?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't get discouraged if you fail the first time. I don't know anyone who succeeded in their first solo peerless attempt. Just try to figure out what you did wrong and correct it the next time you go in.

Stay close, drink lots of potions, don't worry about the poison since you'll leech right through the poison damage, take refresh potions, heal potions and agility potions. Strength potions would be worth while as well. You will get cursed with super-curse, so the soul seeker might actually be a better weapon than the ornate axe, but I'll let you figure out which works better for you.

And if you're ever at full mana, you're doing something wrong.

D

Downfall

so it was a succes?
Care to share the full, detailed story?
LOL! No way. It was far from success. I posted that emote right before I went in because I was excited :) I deffinatly did not do horrible. I went in, Honored, EoO, and chugged a dex potion, and it was on. DH hit me often and I wasnt leaching too much with my ornate early on. A few swings later, (Achived Perfection) I was keeping my health around 40-80% and was doing fairly well. I was mana drained practically the whole time. I got her down to about 2/3 health and then it happened: i missed twice in a row, lost perfection, mana drained..not good. Then i died...But! I can do it! I know I can. I think next time im going to try the SS or my Katana, my Ornate worked well, just curious how the others will do.

lol. I had a little crowd watching on the other side of the river.

D

Downfall

When i go in next time (it might be a while, I want to get 120 bush, parry,and swords. I did that last one 3x115. Man that stuff is expensive..) I will take some screen shots and post them on this forum. Ill try to get a picture of the begginging, middle and end. End being either me t-bagging DH, or vice-versa.

R

Rag

Ah a nice and exciting attempt for u, i guess.
Could u post ur gear?

I have alrdy a fully trained sampy, well almost.
I do have 120 in swords, parry and bushido, but havent done anatomy and tactics to 120 yet (have bought/used the scroll tho).

But i now have to figure out how to do dreadhorn :), still havent done the quest yet.

D

Downfall

Well im running a templete with Healing.
This is exactly what I went into dreadhorn with:
115 Swords
110 Bush
110 Parry
82 Anatomy
88 Healing
60 Necro (I started in January, so Im not wealthy yet, doing a lot of Doom for Midnight Bracers and still looking for better jewelry)
70 Tactics
70 Chiv

Gear (this is what i went in with, I put my final suit in parentheses):

Aegis of Grace (Mace and Shields)
Good Mempo (Jackal's Collar)
Tunic of fire (Good resist Tunic with Stamina +6)
Nice Sleeves (even better Sleeves)
Fey Leggings
My Godly gloves (82 total resists and +6 mana)
Bracelet: +10bush, +10 Parry, 8HCI, 4DCI, 20 DI
Ring: enhance potions 20%, 17DI, +8 Anatamy
Quiver of Infiniti

Final Stats: 700 skill cap
120 Swords
110 Bush (120 with bracelet)
110 Parry (120 with bracelet)
95 Anatomy
90 Healing
70 Chiv
70 Tactics
35 Necro

I did Dreadhorn 2/3 with the crap I had on, without Legendary anything, so im sure ill be able to handle it with my final suit and better stats.

R

Rag

Thx for ur post.

But i am more interested in ur MR, DCI/HCI and LMC. And what weapon did u use?

D

Downfall

I personally think MR is one of the most important things an a piece of armor. Its important for all kinds of templetes from mages to stealth archers. Being a Sampire might be the only exception. I, im sure there are tons who disagree (so dont follow what i have to say if you dont want to), dont think MR is important at all on this templete because you will be leaching with almost every hit.
Try something for me, put togeather a 7 MR suit (a pretty high amount for a sampire suit) on your sampire. Then cast all kinds of stuff to Mana drain. Now watch your mana go up. While in the middle of a huge fight, i dont think that rate of regen will do much (especially without any kind of focus or meditation). I'd rather have more +mana pieces.

In the Sleeves and Tunic that i am yet to buy, along with good resistances, im looking for +mana and LMC. If i can get somehing with LMC 7% on both pieces along with a good bracelet and ring, i could have close to 30 LMC, along with 40 DCI, 20 HCI, 30HLD, 55 DI.

My Weapons: (you know of the Soul Seeker)
Orante
HML 60%
HCI 10%
SSI 20%
DI 36%

Katana:
HLD 42%
HSL 38%
HML 57%
DI 45%

I also have a few slayers for doom, not sure if you want to know about those

D

Desolation87

What an amazing thread. Thanks guys. I'm now well on my way to becoming a sampire. However a few things I would like to bring up -

The soul seeker is a great training wep for swords becuase of all the leeches. Macers have the katrinas crook, with incredible leeches. I wondered if fencers had an easily obtainable super leecher? (I'm making a fampire, lol, sounds much better than sampire! :p )

Also I was under the impression that a normal swampy would give 25% damage reduction and a proxy one will only give 10%? I remember seeing the thread on the old boards, but just wanted to make sure. If I am right then apart from the insta-bond whats the point in paying 7+mill for one of those things?

Prefection - I've been working hard training and gaining honor :)gee:) and have seen perfection gaining like mad. But is their a way of knowing what level your on? Is it measured by the honor dots gained?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, Katrina's crook isn't all that good for training. It's good if you're patient, but I find it too slow. It would be much better to use a mana leeching wild staff or tessen. Stamina leech would be great too, but that's a lot to ask of one's pocket book.

Good fencing weapons are easy to find, as the PvPers love them. But fencers definitely got the short end of the artifact stick. If you can find a rune carving knife, they aren't too bad for training, but not very practical outside of a training environment.

The only way of knowing what level of perfection you're on is if the message says "You have achieved perfection..." And it works like this. You hit then you gain a level of perfection. You miss then you lose 3 levels of perfection. The maximum perfection is level 10 (100% extra damage to THAT opponent) and how long it takes depends on your bushido skill. At 100 bushido, it takes 10 hits to achieve perfection.

A swampy with exceptional armor will give you 20% damage reduction, and non exceptional armor will give you 10% damage reduction. Paroxy's armor isn't exceptional, but it never breaks.

D

Desolation87

Wow thanks for the reply, I don't think Katrinas crook is that slow? 2.75s and at 150 dex your only 6% from max swing speed but you sure do look silly holding one! lol

Yeh, there are alot of nice one handed fencing weapons, all war forks and kryss for the disarm and infectious. But I'm finding it real hard finding two handed weps being a fampire (as opposed to sampire or mampire. Lol!) Theres afew double bladed staffs around but none that strike out as being great.

My advice to new sampires? Choose your weapon skill carefully!

K

Kratos Aurion

I came across this thread earlier but I'd like to ask this question, especially to Duku.

How do you find using bush/shield at the same time? I thought it dramatically reduced the ability to parry attacks?

If you can tell me how well it works for you, I might as well use my shield lol

Im also new to the sampire but I've been testing gears around until I seen your post.. Using my shield would greatly benefit me if I knew how to use the suit correctly.

D

Duku

Because i dont want to have parry chance, i prefer having a shield, that it means 15 dci 12 hci fc 1: it helps a lot! I can do very well with soulseeker and the shield, im not huge and slow as with an ornate, but im fast, always full, and with max dci hci ^^
I dont use bushi to parry, but for special abilities (LS, momentum) and honor/perfection :)

K

Kratos Aurion

how effective are you with your sampire template/suit?

I have a shield 11 rpd/15 hci/13 dci/1fc (enhanced wooden with 2hpr/self rep) and thought Id have to sacrafice its use to use a sampire.

D

Duku

I ve already written it ^^

My template is:

120 Sword
120 Bushido
120 Tactics
120 Anatomy
120 Healing
35 Necro
85 Chivalry

Equip:
Mace & Shield
Jackal
Bane
15/14 fc 1 Shield
RBC
Primer
Crimson
Gloves/Sleeves High resist/SI/MI/lmc
Jewel: 47 DI, resist, 12 hci/29 DCI, lmc

Total
46 Hci / 44 Dci
lmc 40%
DI 67%
Resistance: 70 69 68 70 75 (Elf, with Vet reward cloak)
Stat: 120 140 (stamina 158) 72 (+20); with + 25 SoS

I simply go with my soulseeker, i love it! Expecially when i have full mana, i use the random special ^^
However, my Stamina allows me to carry even slower weapon, i have a runic katana HLA HML HSL DI SSI, and a HLA HML HL SSI DI bone harvester

You can go in a lot of places, about Bosses i have fought Paroxy and Dread Horn, with no problem! Even collecting the Keys is a joke ;)

I hope this can help

K

Kratos Aurion

I know I seen your post and all about using the template and other questions.. But I should have said it differently lol.

What I intended to say how easy is it for you to use this template vs a parry template or other similar template. What is the difficulty rating of this sampire template on a level scale vs the other ones?

D

Duku

Ah, sorry, i misunderstood. I dont speak English too well..

My template its quite easy, because you havent to pay much attention to everything.. I'll try to explain.. with my built, you have maxed everything: 140 dext for healing, 45/45 dci/hci, you mustnt rely on LS to hit, if you have mana u can use even special moves, and they dont hit you so much, due to maxed DCI and almost never divine fury..
Its a different thing in comparison to the Ornate-Sammy, probabily that template is more effective if you can hit with high frequenzy, but to face best bosses, and paragorn creatures, you must have a perfect suit, a good weapon, and keep more attention..

Its my opinion. However, i played even with the second style, i didnt like it too much, i prefer having 120 Heal/anat/tact, even if i have to delete parry.. i'm hit more often, but i have a better control: except with paroxy, and not always, each 4 second i'm full, i heal a lot ^^
Im starting to think if with perfect weapon and jewel i could put out healing and raise parry.. If i make a change, you ll know :)

D

Desolation87

Yeppers, I use jackals, for 15 dex, ring of vile for 8 and crimson for 5. Takes me from 122 to 150 and that sweet 3 second heal.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
your worng, dex works in 20's so you will get 4 secs, it looks like 3 but its 4.

no time difference between 140 to 150.

D

Desolation87

Well, ok I may be wrong who knows. But what I do know is...

I use UOA at the top it gives a bandaid timer. I have 150 dex when I use the bandaid at 3 it stops.

Try it and see is all I'm saying. The math may not add up but UOA tells me so.

K

Kratos Aurion

Anyone run tests on the 140-150 dex. I also thought 150 was 3 sec heals..

also, duku, how much do you relie on mana in your solo runs? I picked up a nice radiant with
(50 HSL, 50 HLL, 13 HCI, 39 DI) 100% phys damage. If I could switch out the soulseeker for it, It would give me more room for mods on jewels. thanks!

D

Duku

honestly, i am always full mana, i never finish it, except some rare case: i think having enough mana at the right moment can save your fight ^^
I always use LS e Consacrus, and i rely on EoO and Divine (not always if im doing well, because i dont want to lower my DCI). And honestly, every moment i can, i use special moves: i love bladewave (soulsekeer random special), and also katana double shot, or bone harvester mortal strike. If im in difficult, i can cast close and cleamsy everytime i want, and if there are more than 1 mob, i use momentum or soulseeker special.

Mana is very important, probably i could lower it a little, but i must say im fine ^^

K

Kratos Aurion

but its always nice to carry a back up wep but I guess I wont be needing the radiant after all

D

Duku

I wouldnt carry that radiant, it has got 38 DI, but without HML neither SSI you will finish soon mana and stamina, so i suggest, if you want to carry other weaps, to have in the backpack a bone harvester or katana linke mine, or other ones with HML HSL HLA (very useful, almost unhittable wiht 120 sword + 45 DCI) and SSI :)

D

Desolation87

Discussion - Is HCI needed if you spam lightning strike? Do you aim to have 45hci on your sampire suit if your using LS?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HCI is always a good thing to have.

That being said, I don't have a single point of HCI on my sampire suit. I just can't afford that plus all the other benifits I have/need on my suits. I have two suits I use. I use the darkwood suit against peerless or Miasma and my other suit has Jackals, Heart of the Lion, Fey Leggings, Stormgrip, Mace and shield glasses, and a ring/bracelet/sleeve/talisman combo which fills out my fire requirements, 90% damage increase/extra stamina and strength increase and a measly 10% enhance potions. The only reason I use the darkwood suit is that my other suit has low poison resist and relies on a cursed artifact which I'd hate to lose.

As you can see, I put HCI pretty low on my priority list after DCI, dex increase (for the speed), strength increase (for the damage) and resists.

The problem with lightning strike is that it still takes 3-4 mana (after LMC) every time you use it. So if you don't have mana leech on your weapon, you'll run out of mana pretty quickly. Not that that ever stopped me. I go by the philosophy of if you ever have full mana, you're doing it wrong.

S

SirAce

I have a question, I have a well geared Sampire with

120 swords
108 bushido (120 with Jewerly)
120 Parry
100 Anatomy
70 Tactics
82 Healing
80 Chiv
40 Necro

my resists are 70/67/70/68/69

My problem is I want to do some peerless' but I cant even kill an Oni lol. Are Oni's a problem for anyone else or am I just missing something. BTW if you are wondering about my gear I have all the high end gear. (jackals, bane, crimson, primer, RBC, etc) I tear Swoops a new one and fast but not sure how I will do against a boss, any help would be great.

D

Desolation87

Are you holding a shield? Parry is so freaking damn pants with bushido and a shield.

S

SirAce

I was using an ornate but I switched to a soulseeker and shield last night and I saw a huge difference.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't use a shield with bushido and parry. If you do, you won't be able to parry anything. (There is an exception to this guideline, but that's Travesty) I'm sure someone else can post about details why. Just try soul seeker without the shield, see what happens.

H

Hans

I wondered if fencers had an easily obtainable super leecher? (I'm making a fampire, lol, sounds much better than sampire! :p )
The minor arty nights kiss is decent it has its a repon slater dagger basically a toned down soul seeker, still a decent wep.

N

Nox

120 swords
108 bushido (120 with Jewerly)
120 Parry
100 Anatomy
70 Tactics
82 Healing
80 Chiv
40 Necro
That is almost identical to mine. I would drop chiv to 65 and add the extra to healing, at 90 healing you wont fail, and with 90 healing and 100 anatomy, what do you need 80 chiv for?

B

Baghdaddy1

All,

I really enjoy reading threads like this. you guys are showing suits/temps that are far superior to what I ever ran. I can't help but feel a little responsible for seeing tons of samurais at the bank in vamp form now.

I hope everyone is enjoying the sampire and may it bring you as much fun as it did me.

For those just starting out, I know its not real cheap but the Darkwood suit is a fine choice. With it, u can easily max DCI, good resists and good HP regen. Throw on a little HCI jewels and that is suffice to take down Dreadhorns, Paroxys, etc.... With a heavy hitter running good mana leech and perfection, mana regen/DI need not apply. Just don't want people trying this temp for the first time to count out Darkwood set, very nice indeed.

and for the record, I have solo defeated ALL Peerless bosses with my sampire so do not get discouraged..... it is possible.

Baghdaddy (Legends)

N

Nox

and for the record, I have solo defeated ALL Peerless bosses with my sampire so do not get discouraged..... it is possible.

QUOTE]

So...How hard was Lady Mel? lol, those damn Satys must have been insane

T

T_Amon_from_work

... <excerpted except this part> ... For those just starting out, I know its not real cheap but the Darkwood suit is a fine choice. With it, u can easily max DCI, good resists and good HP regen. ... <end excerpted part> ...
Darkwood outfits are REALLY hard to come by on LA where I play. The Barbed Leather outfit I outline above was 275K and really not too awful bad a deal. And best of all ... outside Luna!!! :hahaha: In fact it was from a vendor shop right outside Destard/Tram.

S

Solikos

I'm going to roll up a Sampire shortly but am not sure what to do as far as a weapon skill. Previously I had planned on taking maces, but I see most (almost all) of you use swords. I suppose that is for the specific sword artifacts that are great for this template?

I don't have any 'uber' equipment awaiting my character, assuming that, is there really a better way to go between swords and maces?

I've also considered going the no healing path of Zachary, which I guess will mean I should use 2 handed weapons for best results (120 Bushido / 120 Parry).

Please, let me know what you think.

Thanks,

~ Solikos

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weapon choice: Swords for massive DPS ornate axes or the soul seeker. Twinkling scimitars are also very good to have.
Maces for the massive DPS one handed diamond maces and cheaper weapons/power scrolls.
Fencing for um... The challenge? It is easier to find fast fencing weapons.

I use a macer with a diamond mace (50% mana leech, 40% stamina leech, 20%SSI) and don't have any trouble in most environments. Right now I have no healing skill, but between leeches and pots, I don't need it. I am thinking of going back to wraith form (exchange anatomy for spirit speak) again, but that's for role played reasons. For just solo peerless, I would really go with one of the no-healing templates.

S

Solikos

Weapon choice: Swords for massive DPS ornate axes or the soul seeker. Twinkling scimitars are also very good to have.
Maces for the massive DPS one handed diamond maces and cheaper weapons/power scrolls.
Fencing for um... The challenge? It is easier to find fast fencing weapons.

I use a macer with a diamond mace (50% mana leech, 40% stamina leech, 20%SSI) and don't have any trouble in most environments. Right now I have no healing skill, but between leeches and pots, I don't need it. I am thinking of going back to wraith form (exchange anatomy for spirit speak) again, but that's for role played reasons. For just solo peerless, I would really go with one of the no-healing templates.
Sounds like swords would be best then, since 2 handed means better blocking %, and a shield is pointless if I'll be taking the parry skill... I guess the advantage of having a free hand means you can drink potions.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've noticed several people here listing using a shield in addition to having Bushido....what's the point in that, doesn't bushido and using a shield make it useless?