• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

REMOVE Tactics requirement ( poll )

Do you want to remove the Tactics requirements for specials?

• Yes

Votes: 72 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 56 43.8%

• Total voters

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LoL. You are talking in absolutes, which already makes you wrong.

But, I will humor you. Please list current templates that are "gimp" and current templates that are not gimp.

And also elaborate further on what templates take skill vs which templates do not.

Thank you.
Do your own home work instead of asking everyone else to provide you with details you can easy find yourself with browsing through theses posts

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do your own home work instead of asking everyone else to provide you with details you can easy find yourself with browsing through theses posts
haha... How is it someone's homework to support the opposing sides argument?

There hasn't been any points that suggests removing the tactics requirement will cause anything to be overpowered or imbalanced, because everything said is already possible with tactics and is also not related to tactics at all... If there was I'm sure you'd point it out.

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
haha... How is it someone's homework to support the opposing sides argument?

There hasn't been any points that suggests removing the tactics requirement will cause anything to be overpowered or imbalanced, because everything said is already possible with tactics and is also not related to tactics at all... If there was I'm sure you'd point it out.
My reaction after reading Winker's thought out argument.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol so you have no leg to stand on. Got it.

When you have a thought that makes sense, let us know.

cholupa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Remove Tactics Requirement for weapon specials
Add Tactics Towards Lower Mana Cost on Weapon Specials , will give more reason to have tactics besides damage increase.
Make +Skill work towards tactics requirements if you keep it this way
Pretty Simple
This is a good solution

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You brought nothing to the table other than vague incorrect generalizations. Good work.
What i brought to the table was true, people who like to run the best gimp template will do so. Diversity is a thing dreams are made of. There will always be one template that is better than others and thats the way its always been and if Blazing is asking for it, then i know it cant be good for the game it can only be any good for gimp templates.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
at least try to stay on topic.

This is about tactics removal, not speed hacks.

If you have nothing to offer the conversation then please refrain from posting.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
There was a time where you didn’t need

· :Stealth or hiding for deathstrike

· Tacitics for special moves

· Combat skill for Evasion

· Animal Lore for taming

· Dex for Parry

· 300 combat bonus for lower mana cost.

· Less than 70 magery for 4/6 on a mage

· Poisoning for Ninja Stars

UO was full of pvp and everyone could customize templates.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What i brought to the table was true, people who like to run the best gimp template will do so. Diversity is a thing dreams are made of. There will always be one template that is better than others and thats the way its always been and if Blazing is asking for it, then i know it cant be good for the game it can only be any good for gimp templates.
So, what is the current template that is better than all the others?

And your rationale for not waiting the tactics requirement to be removed is because blazing wants it? Do you not see how that is not well thought out in the least?

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
TLDR

I'm pro-remove tactics.

Why?
Template diversity
Tactics is still useful for DAMAGE and MASTERY EFFECTIVENESS

Why not? You tell me.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Absolutely none of that has to do with Tactics being required or not... do you even know wtf you're talking about?

"Diversity is a thing dreams are made of" -we had it before, it's not just a dream....?

What you brought to the table is that everyone will use the most "OP templates"? um, aren't people doing that now? Yes & No, they're using the only "effective" templates because of restrictions forcing them to play this way (Tactics requirements & Focus Spec) when something is truly broken, it needs fixed... Tactics was N E V E R "BROKEN" until it became required. (I posted this several years ago)

dropping Tactics isn't going to make anything Overpowered, it's only going to allow weaker (unused) templates to use specials for their utility purposes... because the damage will be lower on everything... AI will hit for less than 35 unless you use slower weapons. And/or have high/max damage increase, if necessary they could even apply a scaling cap to AI based on tactics because Tactics never has been the problem.

Anyone that picks up a weapon skill would at least be vulnerable to disarm, but no... instead, you have 80%+ of the pvpers running around with Wrestling or Anatomy, so they can't be disarmed & they can chug potions.... but hey, they're removing "Saving Throw" AND the splinter proc on disarm attempts nerf to dexers? not a necessary nerf to dexers (IMO)....

Splintering Weapon: should have been changed to something like Splinter = forced walk (no bleed) then it wouldn't need to be fixed due to ranged weapons.... and people would actually f***ing use the "Bleed" special again, instead of getting it for free all the !@#$ing time.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, what is the current template that is better than all the others?

And your rationale for not waiting the tactics requirement to be removed is because blazing wants it? Do you not see how that is not well thought out in the least?
Im not playing your game and naming templates for you to just pick them apart and i endup spend all my time defending some thing i dont play. You know fine well whats gimp and whats not

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im not playing your game and naming templates for you to just pick them apart and i endup spend all my time defending some thing i dont play. You know fine well whats gimp and whats not
What you're saying here, is that you don't know what's going to be good if there were no tactics requirements.

the answer is nothing will be as good, or better than anything that's actively being played now...

Focus spec is going to fix that for mages... (I should say the removal of focus spec (5% SDI difference been focus/non is effectively removing it IMO) =D

Dexers aren't getting any stronger, chivalry can't holylight spam & use weapon specials anymore (spec-toggling/casting), Mages never needed to spec-toggle and cast.. their spells have delays on damage so they're very easily stacked without it... (lol) most of those changes hurt dexers more than mages, even the requirement for tactics hurt dexers more than mages...

Mage templates require less skill points (although more "player skill") to play effectively, Dexer templates ALWAYS need more skill points & skill bonus items are much more important for a well-rounded dexer template because of the tactics requirement...

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You claimed there is "always" one template better than all the other ones and that "everyone" plays it.

Yet, you can't tell me what that template is. That is weird.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You claimed there is "always" one template better than all the other ones and that "everyone" plays it.

Yet, you can't tell me what that template is. That is weird.
Cant you read, im not playing your name a template game. Been on these boards too long and seen too many people like you. Too old in the tooth as they say. :danceb:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Folks -

Let me be very clear, there is no need for personal swipes to be made at one another here.

If you cannot comment without trolling or turning every response into a personal war, take it to PMs or one of the designated PVP smacktalk threads.

The RoC, found here: Rules of Conduct | Stratics is still in effect.

Please stay on topic.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What you're saying here, is that you don't know what's going to be good if there were no tactics requirements.

the answer is nothing will be as good, or better than anything that's actively being played now...

Focus spec is going to fix that for mages... (I should say the removal of focus spec (5% SDI difference been focus/non is effectively removing it IMO) =D

Dexers aren't getting any stronger, chivalry can't holylight spam & use weapon specials anymore (spec-toggling/casting), Mages never needed to spec-toggle and cast.. their spells have delays on damage so they're very easily stacked without it... (lol) most of those changes hurt dexers more than mages, even the requirement for tactics hurt dexers more than mages...

Mage templates require less skill points (although more "player skill") to play effectively, Dexer templates ALWAYS need more skill points & skill bonus items are much more important for a well-rounded dexer template because of the tactics requirement...

Every deahstriker will have an additional free 30 skill points to get into their template way stronger with splinter weapons...
Bokuto Mages getting a nice buff also, taking that temp from 800 skill points needed to 770...

At the end of the day if you put a weapon in your hand and you only have 60 tactics you will be disarmed spammed and killed very fast.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Cant you read, im not playing your name a template game. Been on these boards too long and seen too many people like you. Too old in the tooth as they say. :danceb:
I would also like to add from playing on the same team with pathian the elf for many years,
He is just trolling you bud; he has never played a dexxer in his 15 year UO carrer. And since I played with him he has never built a suit or his own template. Not trolling just stating you should not really give the “kid” too much attention on this thread.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would also like to add from playing on the same team with pathian the elf for many years,
He is just trolling you bud; he has never played a dexxer in his 15 year UO carrer. And since I played with him he has never built a suit or his own template. Not trolling just stating you should not really give the “kid” too much attention on this thread.
Yeah i know what he is playing at, as i said seen too many people like him here over the years. Thats why im not entertaining him.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How exactly is asking for clarification on something he stated so definitively trolling?

First off, playing a dexer has literally nothing to do with anything. But.. 1. I have played a dexxer. 2. I have made my own suits/templates before. So, now, you are trolling with that entire post.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Every deahstriker will have an additional free 30 skill points to get into their template way stronger with splinter weapons...
Bokuto Mages getting a nice buff also, taking that temp from 800 skill points needed to 770...

At the end of the day if you put a weapon in your hand and you only have 60 tactics you will be disarmed spammed and killed very fast.
What's 30 skill points going to do? It'll let my DS'er go to 45 parry.. lol big whoop.

just so you can see, I'll show you my DS'er temp (I don't even play it much, because I prefer to play things that deal reliable damage & interrupts), Dexers aren't reliable enough when everyone can't be disarmed and ALSO has Parry.... (this is something that needs fixed)

but here we are: "Real & Modified".... I even have some pieces to replace to get more HPI =D just don't play him enough for it to be worth, nor would I play it much if I didn't need tactics... the only thing that'll make it worth playing is a nerf to Parry + wrestling/anatomy.

DSer suit & temp.jpg

Dexers shouldn't need to have this, they most definitely shouldn't need to use an "Orc Brute" so that their damage is high enough for people to actually die to it LOL... so bad the state of UO right now...

Edit: I have 0 DCI! why? the only things that can kill someone anymore are things that are unavoidable with little or no RNG of missing (spells & Novas) =X

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What's 30 skill points going to do? It'll let my DS'er go to 45 parry.. lol big whoop.

just so you can see, I'll show you my DS'er temp (I don't even play it much, because I prefer to play things that deal reliable damage & interrupts), Dexers aren't reliable enough when everyone can't be disarmed and ALSO has Parry.... (this is something that needs fixed)

but here we are: "Real & Modified".... I even have some pieces to replace to get more HPI =D just don't play him enough for it to be worth, nor would I play it much if I didn't need tactics... the only thing that'll make it worth playing is a nerf to Parry + wrestling/anatomy.

View attachment 60349

Dexers shouldn't need to have this, they most definitely shouldn't need to use an "Orc Brute" so that their damage is high enough for people to actually die to it LOL... so bad the state of UO right now...

Edit: I have 0 DCI! why? the only things that can kill someone anymore are things that are unavoidable with little or no RNG of missing (spells & Novas) =X
my dser has

120 Bushido
120 swords
120 resist
120 ninjia
120 stealth
100 hiding
90 tact
80 nox

i can use some other **** on him but thats his base i can now drop 30 points in tact and pick up parry and have evasion on my dser

or i can add 60 necro for the tactics

Last edited:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
To add to what Merlin has already said, certain people need to take a step back, breathe, and focus on the topic at hand. If this thread continue to dissolve to swipes, insults, and taunts and trolling, with the report button being smashed every other post, we will be forced to lock this thread.

I trust that you are all capable of debating this topic in a mature fashion. You do not have to agree with everything said, but there is most certainly a proper and improper way to debate your ideas and opinions, as well as argue those of others.

Thank you.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
my dser has

120 parry
120 swords
120 resist
120 ninjia
120 stealth
100 hiding
90 tact
80 nox

i can use some other **** on him but thats his base i can now drop 30 points in tact and pick up parry and have evasion on my dser

or i can add 60 necro for the tactics
Don't you already have parry? I mean I see it listed. Plus you need Bushido...

Why do you have tactics on that template? You already don't need it for DS and Infectious strike...

doesn't really seem like a good template at all

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
my dser has

120 parry
120 swords
120 resist
120 ninjia
120 stealth
100 hiding
90 tact
80 nox

You won't get parry out of 30 skill points without dropping Poisoning too... & necro/Omen is much more effective (this is why I have it).... interruptions are key, that's why dexers suck against mages...they can't hit anything Because of parry.... Archers are only good because they have more room to get their attacks off (the range)

None of which removing tactics is going to help or hurt.... There's litterally NOTHING bad that would come from removing the tactics requirement.. Anyone has been welcome to post what bad could come from it... I guess we'll be waiting to no avail because nothing's been said that supports it being bad...

Also, incase no one has noticed. DSers are a very small minority of dexers now... as a matter of fact, the most common form of "DSer" is also a 4/6 holy-fister WITH Wrestling & Parry.. shocker, right? I know.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You won't get parry out of 30 skill points without dropping Poisoning too... & necro/Omen is much more effective (this is why I have it).... interruptions are key, that's why dexers suck against mages...they can't hit anything Because of parry.... Archers are only good because they have more room to get their attacks off (the range)

None of which removing tactics is going to help or hurt.... There's litterally NOTHING bad that would come from removing the tactics requirement.. Anyone has been welcome to post what bad could come from it... I guess we'll be waiting to no avail because nothing's been said that supports it being bad...

Also, incase no one has noticed. DSers are a very small minority of dexers now... as a matter of fact, the most common form of "DSer" is also a 4/6 holy-fister WITH Wrestling & Parry.. shocker, right? I know.
I would agree with you but the nerf to archery, and if the swing speed buff goes through you will see a lot more than normal

Deathstrikers and Archers are all I fight

As for my template I will end up droping stealth down to 100 if I decide to go that direction and moving parry to 120

Nervestrikes will still do 35 damage because that move is not tactic based

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Don't you already have parry? I mean I see it listed. Plus you need Bushido...

Why do you have tactics on that template? You already don't need it for DS and Infectious strike...

doesn't really seem like a good template at all
I can see that
120 combat
120 ninjia
120 chiv
120 resist
120 stealth
100 hiding
80 nox
60 tactics

only 840 skill points

**** on my bracelet hat and cloak im already at 805

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would agree with you but the nerf to archery, and if the swing speed buff goes through you will see a lot more than normal

Deathstrikers and Archers are all I fight

As for my template I will end up droping stealth down to 100 if I decide to go that direction and moving parry to 120

Nervestrikes will still do 35 damage because that move is not tactic based

the swing-speed "nerf" has already been eliminated... lol, But hey, even if it did stay in you'd see more holy-fisters & mages and LESS DEXERS.... sense... make it.

The devs seem to think Armor Ignore is the problem with Archery, so they capped it at 30 damage.... but armor ignore isn't the problem with archery, it hasn't been since AI was capped at 35... (lol?)

You'd drop stealth down to 100 or 45 damage DS, but you can't go below 40 real stealth or you won't be stealthing out of any dire situations.

and for your final point. Nervestrike doesn't always do 35 damage...
yes you're right it's not "tactics" based (we've already said this).... so, why is tactics required for it? just... no reason I guess?

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
the swing-speed "nerf" has already been eliminated... lol, But hey, even if it did stay in you'd see more holy-fisters & mages and LESS DEXERS.... sense... make it.

The devs seem to think Armor Ignore is the problem with Archery, so they capped it at 30 damage.... but armor ignore isn't the problem with archery, it hasn't been since AI was capped at 35... (lol?)

You'd drop stealth down to 100 or 45 damage DS, but you can't go below 40 real stealth or you won't be stealthing out of any dire situations.

and for your final point. Nervestrike doesn't always do 35 damage...
yes you're right it's not "tactics" based (we've already said this).... so, why is tactics required for it? just... no reason I guess?
Mages just need to increase their casting range.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mages just need to increase their casting range.
lol, what? if that comes up for debate it should be decreased.... Mages are already better than dexers 100% because dexers damage is RNG-based.... mages get their spells off based on timing and they use the RNG to their advantage.....

Let's get back to reasons why Tactics requirements should stay in or be removed, shall we? (obv I vote for removing it)

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Please keep comments about tactics and not on accusations, swipes, and discussion of cheats. This thread is heading towards a lock which is not something I wish to do. When a thread is locked, people complain that we are not allowing discussion but this thread has had 15 posts reported by the participants of the thread. We are trying to let this topic be discussed but it has gone downhill. The thread has already been cleaned up and a thread warning issued. Keep on topic without accusations & attacks or it will be locked. It is up to you guys on what happens from here, discussion or lock.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
3 pages of this crap!?!? U guys need another hobby. 100+ posts saying absolutely nothing
It wouldn't have made it anywhere near this far if tactics was never "required" in the first place... but damn, I agree. I'm getting sick of caring about this games pvp tbh, nothing's going to change except more change for the worse (or stay as is, which are about the same damn thing) a lot of the people I use to play with have already quit or are playing much better "pvp era" free shards anyway..

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If people actually talked about "Tactics" requirement or removal, wouldn't this whole thing be one-sided against the requirement staying?
I mean, based on what's been provided by the people who wish to keep it required, What supports that? There are explanations that debunk everything that has been said in favor of the requirement thus far...

The poll is flawed because of people not "liking" the OP for reasons that are completely unrelated to the topic... even though it's still in favor of the requirement being removed.
need evidence?

Here we go...
What does the OP (someone who regularly posts pics of his cheats) know about what the pvp community wants? The pvp community would like people not to cheat.
+
You just know when Blazing is asking for something to be changed its because he has a few gimp templates he wants to use and abuse.
+
Says the shard dodger! europa misses you blazingo
+
No we dont, so dont encourage him
We (myself and many other the pvp-players) have quoted most of these people directly and asked what they think the problems would be if the requirement were removed.

their answers consisted of all non-answers or things unrelated to the tactics requirement. -even after they've been shown to be incorrect... um, wouldn't that be trolling?

I don't even play with ~95% of these people, I'm always fighting against most of them (at least the ones I recognize via their stratics names), and it's obvious that the ones I'm referring to know something or even a lot about pvp and what the problems are, hell, not even just problems with pvp but the entire game in general...

the first pro-"Requirement" post...
Imagine the amount of bok mages, and nox dexers out there when ur giving them 90free skill points, or even sampires going with healing scripts running in the background, i disagree, 30-60 tactics requirement is alright.

But I vote that tactics no longer require real skill to perform specials.
This is anti-diversity...which is what removing the requirement is meant to assist in addressing... (The LACK OF DIVERSITY) none of those templates are being played now.... I wonder why? (read the thread and you'd know)

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wouldn't have made it anywhere near this far if tactics was never "required" in the first place... but damn, I agree. I'm getting sick of caring about this games pvp tbh, nothing's going to change except more change for the worse (or stay as is, which are about the same damn thing) a lot of the people I use to play with have already quit or are playing much better "pvp era" free shards anyway..
Pretty much a summation of my thoughts.

It's fine that the developers wanted community input, but they're so out of touch with PvP, that they hear these ideas from inept players and are unable to determine if what they're saying actually has any basis in reality. It's funny, UO might be the only game that is being balanced by the lowest tier of players rather than the highest.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was a time where you didn’t need

· :Stealth or hiding for deathstrike

· Tacitics for special moves

· Combat skill for Evasion

· Animal Lore for taming

· Dex for Parry

· 300 combat bonus for lower mana cost.

· Less than 70 magery for 4/6 on a mage

· Poisoning for Ninja Stars

UO was full of pvp and everyone could customize templates.
...You do realize that most of those features you just listed, were changed because Mages got ahold of them, right? Like i said earlier, when you combine the versatility/utility of Magery/Eval/Med (not to mention the burst combo capability, which is something that Dexxers lack), with a powerful skill/ability normally associated with melee, you get OPness, which virtually everyone switches to in order to compete (thus killing your "but muh diversity!" argument).

- Death Strike in combination with the burst combo capability of Mages, was pretty ********. If the Exp+FS+DS victim ran, he died, and if the Ninjitsu Mage ran from him, the DS would ensure that the victim wouldn't chase, lest he lose a huge chunk of health, allowing the Ninjitsu Mage to turn the fight on a dime.
- As many other people said here, most Dexxer templates already ran with Tactics, before Tactics was added as a requirement for specials. So who was the Tactics requirement change aimed at? Mages. For reasons i listed above.
- The cooldown and Combat skill requirement was added to Evasion, because Mages were abusing the hell out of it in PvP. Back then, Warriors didn't have enough MR in PvP to keep Evasion up nonstop, while Mages did. When you combined the 50-60% block chance (even against spells/DoT ticks) of Evasion, with the 1.5 sec Greater Heals that heal for 45-50, it made the Mage damn near unkillable. Not only that, but it also prevented interrupts, allowing the Mage to have more consistent damage output, allowing them to go all out offense during an Evasion.
- Animal Lore has been a requirement for Taming for a very long time, affecting the control % chance, since before AoS. With the introduction of NPC Veterinarians able to rez pets, quite a few Tamers (especially PvP Tamers) already run without Veterinary. Removing Animal Lore as a requirement, and only needing Taming to control high end pets, would be insanity, especially considering the power of some pets. 100-120 Skill points alone, should not offer that much power.
- The DEX requirement was added to Parry, once again, as a deterrent to Mages using it. Parry Mages are now possible due to the introduction of Legendary Artifact gear making 80+ DEX attainable on a Mage suit. When you combine that high level of defense, with the fast heal/cure capabilities of a Mage, and it also synergising with their offensive capability, it becomes ridiculous, for much the same reason as Evasion Mages were. Another reason that Parry Mages have become a sore subject, is because with the introduction of the "Shield Bash" Mastery, Parry Mages have brought back the Bok Bok Mage imbalance, since Shield Bash is basically an improved Nerve Strike that also interrupts casts even through Protection.
- They should've kept Human JOAT counting towards the Special Move Cost Reduction. Otherwise, Humans offer virtually nothing over Elves and Gargoyles.
- 4/6 Chiv Mages were basically unkillable outside of gank squads syncing burst combo dumps. With 4/6 Chiv, Mages were able to cast 0.5 sec Close Wounds that healed for 35+, 0.25 sec Cleanse By Fires to cure poison, and 0.5 sec Remove Curses to remove Curse and Mortal Strike. Chiv Mages also had a big enough Mana Pool and MR to maintain this almost indefinitely. It was pretty much impossible to stop a 4/6 Chiv Mage from healing, and you'd expend more Mana and time to damage them then they'd spend to heal it, so they'd outlast you.

Sometimes, "Diversity" has to take a backseat to "Balance".

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
...You do realize that most of those features you just listed, were changed because Mages got ahold of them, right? Like i said earlier, when you combine the versatility/utility of Magery/Eval/Med (not to mention the burst combo capability, which is something that Dexxers lack), with a powerful skill/ability normally associated with melee, you get OPness, which virtually everyone switches to in order to compete (thus killing your "but muh diversity!" argument).

- Death Strike in combination with the burst combo capability of Mages, was pretty ********. If the Exp+FS+DS victim ran, he died, and if the Ninjitsu Mage ran from him, the DS would ensure that the victim wouldn't chase, lest he lose a huge chunk of health, allowing the Ninjitsu Mage to turn the fight on a dime.
- As many other people said here, most Dexxer templates already ran with Tactics, before Tactics was added as a requirement for specials. So who was the Tactics requirement change aimed at? Mages. For reasons i listed above.
- The cooldown and Combat skill requirement was added to Evasion, because Mages were abusing the hell out of it in PvP. Back then, Warriors didn't have enough MR in PvP to keep Evasion up nonstop, while Mages did. When you combined the 50-60% block chance (even against spells/DoT ticks) of Evasion, with the 1.5 sec Greater Heals that heal for 45-50, it made the Mage damn near unkillable. Not only that, but it also prevented interrupts, allowing the Mage to have more consistent damage output, allowing them to go all out offense during an Evasion.
- Animal Lore has been a requirement for Taming for a very long time, affecting the control % chance, since before AoS. With the inclusion of NPC Veterinarians able to rez pets, quite a few Tamers (especially PvP Tamers) already run without Veterinary. Removing Animal Lore as a requirement, and only needing Taming to control high end pets, would be insanity, especially considering the power of some pets. 100-120 Skill points alone, should not offer that much power.
- The DEX requirement was added to Parry, once again, as a deterrent to Mages using it. Parry Mages are now possible due to the introduction of Legendary Artifact gear making 80+ DEX attainable on a Mage suit. When you combine that high level of defense, with the fast heal/cure capabilities of a Mage, and it also synergising with their offensive capability, it becomes ridiculous, for much the same reason as Evasion Mages were. Another reason that Parry Mages have become a sore subject, is because with the introduction of the "Shield Bash" Mastery, Parry Mages have brought back the Bok Bok Mage imbalance, since Shield Bash is basically an improved Nerve Strike that also interrupts casts even through Protection.
- They should've kept Human JOAT counting towards the Special Move Cost Reduction. Otherwise, Humans offer virtually nothing over Elves and Gargoyles.
- 4/6 Chiv Mages were basically unkillable outside of gank squads syncing burst combo dumps. With 4/6 Chiv, Mages were able to cast 0.5 sec Close Wounds that healed for 35+, 0.25 sec Cleanse By Fires to cure poison, and 0.5 sec Remove Curses to remove Curse and Mortal Strike. Chiv Mages also had a big enough Mana Pool and MR to maintain this almost indefinitely. It was pretty much impossible to stop a 4/6 Chiv Mage from healing, and you'd expend more Mana to damage them then they'd spend to heal it quickly, so they'd outlast you.

Sometimes, "Diversity" has to take a backseat to "Balance".
You realize mages still have easier access to these things than dexers do, Right? aside from 4/6 chivalry.... where are all the things that actually correspond with the damn topic?

Deathstrike, doesn't require tactics... Mages require 3 skills (or 2 if you use mage weapons) allow people to use deathstrike... again, nothing to do with tactics... how the hell did you even think this up with this topic?

The cooldown on bushido/evasion wasn't because of mages... it was because of everything with Bushido + Parry was unkillable, people say "mages" because evasion was usable with "MAGE WEAPONS" and guess what? the Mage-weapon fix was for "Mages" get your facts straight... (nothing to do with tactics), although if you must know, evasions duration is increased if you have tactics and/or anatomy... but wait, also not usable unless you have parry too... with an absolute maximum of 50% up time (fixed directly)

Dex requirement was implemented so mages couldn't benefit from Parry.... (LOL) When's the last time you played UO? Parry-mages are one of the 3 templates being played now btw....

Parry-dexers haven't been a thing in PVP since publish 46 because since they needed "Tactics" they had to drop something for it (most of the time it was resist) which is just one reason why so few/none are being played.... (nothing that supports the tactics requirement, infact it's the exact opposite..It's very easy, when there's no chance in hell of being wrong....)

JoAT = more effective than 20 mana from elves.... even without contributing to this LMC bonus. the only thing for pvp that's truly beneficial with elves is the +5% energy resist.... 20 mana is good for people who can't conserve mana or don't use "decent" suits. (nothing to do with tactics)

4/6 to 2/6 chiv -mages are the only change that make sense, and it fixed THAT problem, didn't it? yet 4/6 chiv mages with 69.9 magery are still played (shocker... are they OP?) nah.

again, none of which has to do with the tactics requirement, nor was it "fixed" with the tactics reqirement..... Shocker, I know.

the tactics requirement Removal is to benefit EVERY "Weapon skill" OVER WRESTLING, have you ever seen a dexer with wrestling as the only "weapon skill?".... instead of pointing out everything that has nothing to do with the "Tactics Requirements" Let's get to the things that actually matter? ....

"Mages get a hold of it" makes no sense, because everything dexers have, mages can get EASIER because mages don't "require" as many skills to be a "mage" before they're fully functional... for a dexer to achieve that, they need a single casting skill to heal, (Chivalry, Magery, or bushido) otherwise it takes more skill points for every dexer template to get an effective means of healing..., Or they need a ****ing ridiculous amount of skill point increase on items... skill + items benefit mages more in this sense too so... nope, that's not helping the tactics requirement staying either.

Is there anyone that can support keeping the Tactics requirement? For the love of god, make it something that has to do with TACTICS please, is it really too much to ask?....

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Mages get a hold of it" makes no sense, because everything dexers have, mages can get EASIER because mages don't "require" as many skills to be a "mage" before they're fully functional.
Hence why they locked Weapon Specials behind a skill that Mages normally don't have, while Dexxers do. Tactics. Shocker, i know.
Who will benefit the lion's share from removing Tactics requirement from Weapon Specials? Mage templates, that's who.
Just imagine, if you will, a Mage with Magery/Eval/Med/Resist/Parry/Inscrip/Fencing, able to perform Disarms, Mortal Strikes, Dismounts, Bleed Attacks, Splinters, all the while bursting like a god and parrying 40% of attacks that manage to get past it's weapon defense, even if Disarmed. Or imagine a Mage with Magery/Eval/Med/Resist/Archery/Inscrip/SW, an even more offense based burst god utilizing Pixies for interrupts and Attunement/Gift of Renewal for self sustain. Or how about a Mage with Magery/Eval/Focus/Resist/Archery/Mysticism, with Spell Plagues and Trigger Bombards to improve it's already insane burst.

You see the kind of Pandora's Box that is opened by completely removing Tactics requirements from specials? Mage templates get an immense boost from it, while melee dexxers only gain a few new templates, which still can't compete against Archers and Mages. Archers can simply be burst down in record speed by the afore mentioned Mage templates, before even their Eaters, Regens, Bandies or Pots can kick in.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hence why they locked Weapon Specials behind a skill that Mages normally don't have, while Dexxers do. Tactics. Shocker, i know.
Who will benefit the lion's share from removing Tactics requirement from Weapon Specials? Mage templates, that's who.
Just imagine, if you will, a Mage with Magery/Eval/Med/Resist/Parry/Inscrip/Fencing, able to perform Disarms, Mortal Strikes, Dismounts, Bleed Attacks, Splinters, all the while bursting like a god and parrying 40% of attacks that manage to get past it's weapon defense, even if Disarmed. Or imagine a Mage with Magery/Eval/Med/Resist/Archery/Inscrip/SW, an even more offense based burst god utilizing Pixies for interrupts and Attunement/Gift of Renewal for self sustain. Or how about a Mage with Magery/Eval/Focus/Resist/Archery/Mysticism, with Spell Plagues and Trigger Bombards to improve it's already insane burst.

You see the kind of Pandora's Box that is opened by completely removing Tactics requirements from specials? Mage templates get an immense boost from it, while melee dexxers only gain a few new templates, which still can't compete against Archers and Mages. Archers can simply be burst down in record speed by the afore mentioned Mage templates, before even their Eaters, Regens, Bandies or Pots can kick in.
There is just so much wrong in here. Let's start with if a mage is using parry and a wep skill- they are at a huge disadvantage. Any char that has to use a timer to drop something to chug is an easy target. And now can mages parry over cap and I didn't know about it? According to your post they can. Then, are you saying a disarmed mage with parry won't get destroyed by a dexer? Where is your logic?

Pixies die in one hit. There are multiple solutions to take care of them. Attunement/Gift of renewal you don't need spell weaving to cast. Then you for some reason are assuming that a mage would not be disrupted during any of these "combos" you created in your head. You further go on to say that pots (instant) couldn't kick in or bandaids (4 sec timers).

You need at least attempt to base what you say in somewhat a realistic approach to be taken seriously.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Magery/Eval/Med/Resist/Parry/Inscrip/Fencing, Magery/Eval/Med/Resist/Archery/Inscrip/SW,
I stopped paying attention to this post after I read the template examples. I will assume you did it on the fly and made a mistake based on your stratics name.

First, let me fix these templates real quick. Let's drop Med (useless in todays pub) for Alchy. On the first template, lets also drop parry for nox or scribe because parrying with a one-handed weapon is a 15% lower chance and not worth the investment of skills.

The first template will be able to bleed, dis-arm, para shot, mortal and dp. AI would do absolutely nothing. So, you have to cycle the opponent, go for a mortal (apple) go for a bleed ( only useful special for disrupt) go for a DP (cure pots) go for a dis-arm (run). Hmm, nevermind. There really is no saving that template without tactics. Will people run it? Yea, but it's nowhere close to being OP.

The seconds template will be able to mortal, para shot, dismount. Any other special will not do enough damage to make it worthwhile without tactics. So, you will cycle your target, mortal (apple), Para shot (box), dismount (putting you at equal or greater risk).

Both templates will be dis-armable without the masteries saving throw.

I am struggling to see pandora's box. Even with removing tactics as a requirement the majority of people will still use it to increase their dmg.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

You understand that mages can already do those specials right? Disarming mages? I mean, you do know wrestle parry mages can do that already right?

Adding parry means no chugging.

Splintering weapons are completely unrelated to tactics removal.

If you lose your weapon your blocking goes down to 35% with a shield not 40%.

Let alone you're templates include 7 skills.

Damage drops without tactics, especially with Melee which is recall was maybe 20 points for AIs. Archery is being dumbed down to 30 point AIs.

So sure, you can throw a bunch of crap at the wall to see what sticks, but we shouldn't be spending the whole time fact checking let alone trying to filter irrelevant arguments.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I like the mage-templates you mentioned, I'll show you clearly why people aren't playing them now... (you should already know this if you pvp'd, good god)

#1) Magery/Eval/Med/Resist/Parry/Inscrip/Fencing, - no one plays this because its disarmable.... AND CANNOT CHUG POTIONS (already said this in other recent threads)

#2) Magery/Eval/Med/Resist/Archery/Inscrip/SW - No one plays this template becasue of Focus spec.... they'd hav Alchemy over SW & drop med completely... Like, who the hell wants to drop down to 25% SDI (non-focus+10/scribe) so they lose damage for SW that's only good in certain situations?

There's the debunk and the truth... (shocker, I know...)

Magery/Eval/Med/Resist/Archery/Inscribe/SW... you know why a "dexer" can't pull it off? Because they need tactics & a skill (or two) to heal themselves.... and that template would be easy to make right now, drop med for Tactics, and you get a more useful moving shot and other specials besides AI & dismount are more damaging..... you don't even need much skill increase for it... like damn, you really don't understand that the tactics requirement hurt dexer templates MORE than mages, because mages (ever since tactics were required) always took less skill points...

Besides, you act like dexers can't benefit from everything you mentioned as well? Guess what though, there's no Mage that has 90.0 skill of "useless" investment towards their template (tactics obv), but even if tactics were required, The only thing that stops a mage from playing these templates is f***ing focus spec... again, tactics has nothing to do with it (I already said this... I shouldn't have to say it again.) Shocker, I know..

Flen

Visitor
+1 for diversity, No tactics requirement!

Today, the day after Martin Luther King day, I think it's important to see the argument against removing the tactics requirement for what it is. It's an assault on all the work of Dr. King and on all the progress we've made since then. Diversity and Hybrids for 2017!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To the people that think the current changes of 30/60 is a good compromise, this will give mages a huge advantage over dexxers. Let me explain to you why.

Mages can just run 60 wep skill/ 60 tactics with a MAGE weapon and get full hit chance of 120 cause of the magery skill. Most probably wont even do that if they can find a primary special they like on a specific weapon (i.e. Kryss). With a Kryss you can use AI as primary and get the infecting special for free already, so they only need 30/30 and have max ability of the mage weapon.

Dexxers on the other hand cant do anything at 60/60, they would miss constantly with low hit chance, and have low damage output as well. And on a dexxer its the way they can deal damage where as the mage has all his spells plus pots and anything else they have the extra room for.

So by keeping the tactics requirement with the current changes you will essentially destroy dexxers in UO.

Removing the tactics requirement completely will give both sides the advantage of adding in different skills to improve their damage or templates.

Thus creating the diversity that everyone wants and improve gameplay as a whole.

P.S. Removing it as a requirement isn't deleting it from the game, it just gives the player the option of choosing higher damage output vs other skills available, that's all this is doing.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game has gotten so old that people have forgotten why they added tactics as a requirement to use weapon specials in the first place, the game is so old we're now going round in circles. There's another poll out asking about letting wither and holy light reveal stealthers http://stratics.com/threads/two-issues-rly-three-a-very-important-poll.382256

Stop trying to fix that what has already been fixed.

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.